What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (8 Viewers)

There comes a point where the high schtick content of MIB becomes a barrier to entry by new viewers. Somebody who happens to flick by the show would have absolutely no idea what these guys are going on about. Maybe that's not a huge issue considering the network and timeslot but they're approaching MST3K levels of self-referentialness.

Everton Barnsley on Bein roght now. Turned it on 15 minutes ago. Barnsley was up 2-0. Watched Everton come back to tie it only to conceed a minute later. Barnsley up 3-2 in the 63rd right now.

Lazio is in trouble.

Down 2-1 on aggregate and just lost a man to a second yellow card.

Bayer should be able to kill this off as they have been dominating this game to this point (70 minutes).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha. 3 seperate game updates at the same time. Love it. Wish I had the Bayer game in HD
I have not tried it since I get FS2 in HD but I have heard people have done well hooking up the Fox Sports Go stream to their TV and getting a better picture than FS2 in SD.

Any of you old farts go all the way back to rec.sport.soccer (or even earlier to rec.sport.misc)?

I came in at the tail end of rec.sport.misc when they opening up the new USENET group.

13 of the 32 teams in the UCL group stage will come from just 3 of the 54 UEFA countries.

I believe for the first time ever(?) one country, Spain, will have 5 teams in the group stage.

13 of the 32 teams in the UCL group stage will come from just 3 of the 54 UEFA countries.

I believe for the first time ever(?) one country, Spain, will have 5 teams in the group stage.
I like minnows more than the average bear but this isn't a positive development IMO. The structure of the CL payout benefits the haves just like everything else does. And a club like APOEL making a good showing is the best part of the relatively meaningless (in the grand scheme of things) group stages.

United up 4-0 (7-1 aggregate) over Club Brugge in CL qualifier. Rooney hat trick, Herrera goal. 69'
forgot about Hererra.. has he been out so far in the PL? thought their team shape always looked much better last year when he was in.
Yes with Schneiderlin, Scwiensteiger coming in and LVG wanting a "striker" in the 10 roll, Herrera sadly has been left out. He should get time as the season rolls on and if Carrick continues to look bad.

United up 4-0 (7-1 aggregate) over Club Brugge in CL qualifier. Rooney hat trick, Herrera goal. 69'
No Depay goal against this giant?

;)
He did get the assist on the opening goal... :boxing:

United are through, despite Chicharito missing the PK (slipped as he planted)

I like minnows more than the average bear but this isn't a positive development IMO. The structure of the CL payout benefits the haves just like everything else does. And a club like APOEL making a good showing is the best part of the relatively meaningless (in the grand scheme of things) group stages.
There eephus goes insulting the English again.

Well, I guess the groups are critical to see whether Man City advances to the Europa League or not

Well, I guess the groups are critical to see whether Man City advances to the Europa League or not
I can't wait for the Barca/City/Roma/Wolfsburg group of death

Lazio is in trouble.

Down 2-1 on aggregate and just lost a man to a second yellow card.

Bayer should be able to kill this off as they have been dominating this game to this point (70 minutes).
Can't someone just kill the whole team off? Seriously.

I can't wait for the Barca/City/Roma/Wolfsburg group of death
Now it's going to happen...thanks, Sammy.

Of course I was watching City the other day, and Navas was playing awesome. I don't know who KDB is going to replace, but I don't know that it makes Man City that much better.

Just now getting to watch the Juve game.

Juve had never a lost their season opener that was played at home 33-7-0 #AAABatteries

It seems our Mexican-American fan contingent in Chicago has started pulling the goal kick-puto thing. :wall: Another reason to hate this ####### team. :hot:

Catching up on more games...Looks like Sporting got robbed of a good goal against CSKA. No way that linesman saw the ball go out of play as he was already to the left of the player taking the corner. Sporting got Guzan'd

Red Bull pulled off the fake corner kick play tonight to get a goal.

This is the play where one player touches the ball just enough to make it a corner kick and pretends to leave the ball for someone else to take the corner. No one on Chicago went with the new kicker and he just walked right into the box with the ball.

This is the play where one player touches the ball just enough to make it a corner kick and pretends to leave the ball for someone else to take the corner. No one on Chicago went with the new kicker and he just walked right into the box with the ball.
What's the OFFICIAL rule on this? Ball needs to make one revolution? I think I've only seen the United one where Rooney goes to take it, rolls it out to another player and he kicks it

What's the OFFICIAL rule on this? Ball needs to make one revolution? I think I've only seen the United one where Rooney goes to take it, rolls it out to another player and he kicks it
I'n not sure. I think one revolution is enough. The guy on NY seemed to put on a show trying to look like he touched it multiple times to not make Chi think it was ever played. I can't tell if what he did was legal or not but I assume he told the AR before hand what he was going to try.

maybe the rule has changed- but that didn't roll the full circumference of the ball... or even close.

maybe the rule has changed- but that didn't roll the full circumference of the ball... or even close.
I just checked the FIFA rules, it only needs to be touched, it does not appear to have to move a revolution although it is not really clear.

See page 10

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_17_the_corner_kick_en_47358.pdf

I just checked the FIFA rules, it only needs to be touched, it does not appear to have to move a revolution although it is not really clear.

See page 10

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_17_the_corner_kick_en_47358.pdf
later on it says player can't touch it a second time, sim to indirect kick. just googled how far an indirect kick is required to move- doesn't say- just says it has to "move"... ie: can't tap the top of it.

we played this rule all wrong in my day.

What time is the draw? 11:45? Is this on TV or online?
I think coverage begins at 11:45 on Fox Sports 1...not sure if actual draw begins then too. Who would be your optimal draw out of pots 1,3 & 4 for MC...a who would you want to avoid, matchup-wise?

See page 10

later on it says player can't touch it a second time, sim to indirect kick. just googled how far an indirect kick is required to move- doesn't say- just says it has to "move"... ie: can't tap the top of it.

we played this rule all wrong in my day.
Then this was clearly illegal last night and the AR just blew it. When looking at a good replay, Sam touched the ball at least twice, perhaps three times before leaving it for Sacha to take.

Users who are viewing this thread