What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Chadli and his mini ponytail haven't done #### today. Whole Spurs team looks like crap when Eriksen is out.
not too much separated the two teams in terms of quality.

not a good sign if you're a spurs fan.
Goals will come - Eriksen has been out for a month now, Son was just introduced today. They do need to find the right mix up top - today Chadli went missing - but they have lots of pieces to figure it out. They needed the 3 points today though - tough stretch upcoming: Palace, ManCity, @Monaco, @Swans, Liverpool, @Anderlecht - with a NLD in the league cup thrown in for good measure (I hope Spurs treat it as the 3rd round game that it is, and play the 2nd team).

Biggest problem Spurs had last season was defense - this season, they have only allowed 2 goals in the run of play (also an Own Goal, and a PK). Even with the other 2, 4 goals conceded in 5 games is a massive improvement over last season.

Having said that, even with Chelsea providing an opening to the top-4, there are a number of quality, if not elite, teams in the league this year. I like what Swansea and Palace have done, and I think they will be in the mix all season, Everton and Soton will have good seasons, and even WHU should be around a Europa league spot all season.

From the league's perspective, that should make for a lot of close games, but the downside may show up in CL, where only ManCity look like a team that can win CL - and if Aguero's injury keeps him out long, that could hurt.

Amazing Leicester comeback. Guzman botched that last goal pretty badly though

Edit: The lack of concussion protocol in the EPL is atrocious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing Leicester comeback. Guzman botched that last goal pretty badly though

Edit: The lack of concussion protocol in the EPL is atrocious.
Agreed. Sadly no players union to force the issue.

This is really no different than the league sitting quietly by while Chelsea disciplined Eva - the clubs and League need to find a way to separate medical issues from the teams. Take the health of the players more seriously than the results on the pitch.

Meanwhile, in the El Floppo-Soulfly derby (aka-Derby Della Madonnina to uninitiated philistines)... Adriano has missed FOUR chances clear on goal already...3 of which are unbelievable misses...

As guessed, Fellaini up top was worse then going false 9. No touch, no composure, no ability to score when gifted an open shot. Critics are pounding Rooney for his touch, slow movement, inability to run in behind a defense... Fellaini is worse. I understand Martial being brought in slowly but at least wilson or perreria would have been better options then the Chimney Sweep. First half was horrible for both teams.

Second half was better. Great set piece and goal by Blind. Nice work to draw the PK by Herrera, great goal by Martial.

Amazing goal by Benteke. Only thing Liverpool has to point to in the game. They missed Coutinho.

PSV in CL next with Southampton on the weekend.

Gerrard on Balotelli, from his new book

================

Former Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard agrees with Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho that Mario Balotelli is "unmanageable."

Balotelli, 25, has been loaned to AC Milan after struggling to make an impact at Liverpool following his move from the San Siro in 2014 -- and he impressed in the Milan derby on Sunday night despite a 1-0 loss to Inter.

The Italy international played under Mourinho when the Portuguese was in charge of Inter Milan, and in 2010 he warned clubs about his poor attitude.

Gerrard said in his book "My Story," which is being serialised in the Daily Mail: "After his promising debut against Tottenham, he had lapsed in training and the subsequent games. His demeanour was very poor. I made my up mind pretty quickly after that about Balotelli.

"We got on fine. I still tried to help him and I kept looking for chances to praise him but I could see why Mourinho had been right when he said Balotelli is unmanageable.

"He is very talented with the potential to be world class, but he'll never get there because of his mentality and the people around him. Balotelli's always late, he always wants attention."

Gerrard was unimpressed with the way Balotelli, who has scored four goals in 28 appearances for Brendan Rodgers' Liverpool, conducted himself in training.

The LA Galaxy midfielder said: "He made an immediate impression when we were doing work on our defensive set pieces and Balotelli said to Brendan: 'I don't mark on corners. I can't.'

"I nearly fell into the goalpost. I was thinking, 'What are you? 6-foot-3, and one of the strongest men I've ever seen on a football pitch? And you can't mark on a corner?'

"Brendan was very firm. He said to Balotelli: 'Well, you can now -- and if you can't then you're going to learn.'

"That was the first conflict between Brendan and Balotelli, on day one, but the manager stood up to Mario really well. From that point, Balotelli started marking on corners."

The ex-England captain added: "In my last season, Brendan Rodgers came to me at Melwood one day in mid-August. We had a chat on the training pitch.

"He said, 'You know we've missed out on a couple of signings. I'm basically left with no option but to have a bit of a gamble.'

"Brendan paused before he spoke again: 'The gamble is Mario Balotelli.' My instant reaction was, 'Uh-oh.' I'd never met Balotelli but I'd heard all the stories about the indoor fireworks and Jose Mourinho describing him as an 'unmanageable' player.

"I could see that, in the right mood, he was a quality footballer but the rest of his career seemed like a spectacular waste of talent. That was my opinion of Balotelli."

Last edited by a moderator:
ummm... it sounds like he WAS manageable. or is there a better example of the umanageableness out there somewhere (I don't doubt that there is).

I don't really know how to play them better really. Maybe trying to disposess more in the midfield.
Just tip your hat and appreciate it. That layoff by Suarez was exquisite, and the finish wasn't bad either.
Yeah. Atletico has nothing to be ashamed of though; a good effort and it hurts to lose a player like Turan....

Messi was introduced after an hour and as he took a step forward, Atlético took a step back. “I don’t know if it is better for us that he starts or that he is a sub,” Atlético defender Juanfran said afterwards. “At least when he starts, you know more or less where he is.”

I still feel like Griezmann is not best used in this 4-4-2 system.

I don't really know how to play them better really. Maybe trying to disposess more in the midfield.
Just tip your hat and appreciate it. That layoff by Suarez was exquisite, and the finish wasn't bad either.
Yeah. Atletico has nothing to be ashamed of though; a good effort and it hurts to lose a player like Turan....

Messi was introduced after an hour and as he took a step forward, Atlético took a step back. I dont know if it is better for us that he starts or that he is a sub, Atlético defender Juanfran said afterwards. At least when he starts, you know more or less where he is.

I still feel like Griezmann is not best used in this 4-4-2 system.
Gotta admit...I'm kinda dreading Wednesday. Hopefully, Atletico beat them up a bit...the Egyptian Messi on the counter might be the only hope.

Had my first training session for the Varsity kids today.

I have a Luis Enrique on my team :excited: :excited: #Barca4Life
how'd it go? were they little ####s, or did they listen?
went well

and yes and yes :lol: They think they're pretty funny, but they worked hard.
any sense of how they stack up? when's the first game?
Not sure yet, the big thing is grades. These guy looked good, but if half of them can't get grades, then....

First league game is the first week of December. Not sure what the pre-season schedule is yet.

went well

Not sure yet, the big thing is grades. These guy looked good, but if half of them can't get grades, then....

First league game is the first week of December. Not sure what the pre-season schedule is yet.
Do they have to keep a min GPA to stay on the team?

went well

Yes

A very daunting 2.0

So much for LAFC just being a placeholder until they decided on a name :)

=========================================

http://www.thegoatparade.com/2015/9/14/9327753/report-los-angeles-football-club-lafc-announced-official-name-tuesday-la-times-kevin-baxter

That's the word from Kevin Baxter of the LA Times, who has been well-placed on other reports surrounding the new MLS team in Los Angeles. In an article published on Monday, Baxter profiles the people who are working on marketing for the club at present, but one key piece of news is included: The club will officially be announced with a permanent name of Los Angeles Football Club on Tuesday.

went well

Yes

A very daunting 2.0
what is that in your school system? In ours I think that is a C average (75).....

The NASL vs MLS battle is funny some times.

===================================================

Here is a press release from Ottawa from the NASL about its coach.

Ottawa Fury FC today announced that Marc Dos Santos, Head Coach of the Fury since its founding last year, will be leaving the club at the end of the current NASL season to pursue a coaching opportunity with a Major League Soccer (MLS) organization. The Fury have given permission to the MLS organization to enter into contract discussions with Dos Santos.

“It’s the nature of the sport,” said Fury FC President, John Pugh. “Marc has done a great job for us, other clubs have noticed and he is moving-on with the intention of moving-up to higher levels of the game. We thank Marc for his two seasons of service to Ottawa Fury FC and wish him well in the future.”

Here is the same press release from NASL headquarters (notice the bold is missing)

Ottawa Fury FC today announced that Marc Dos Santos, Head Coach of the Fury since its founding last year, will be leaving the club at the end of the current NASL season to pursue another coaching opportunity. The club has given permission to an organization to enter into contract discussions with Dos Santos.

“It’s the nature of the sport,” Fury FC President John Pugh said. “Marc has done a great job for us and other clubs have noticed. We thank Marc for his two seasons of service to Ottawa Fury FC and wish him well in the future.”

United Starting XI vs PSV:

(formation is a guess)

Martial

Memphis Herrera Mata Young

Schweinsteiger

Shaw Blind Smalling Darmian

De Gea

Probably more like this though:

Martial

Memphis Mata Young

Schweinsteiger Herrera

Shaw Blind Smalling Darmian

De Gea
Either way I like it!!!

Jackson, Vietto, and Saúl starting for Atlético today at Galatasaray. I love watching games in Turkey. The crowd is usually bonkers.
I remember when Sneijder left Inter for Turkey... the crowd that met him at the airport was bonkers. In the stands, they're out of control (in mostly good ways).

Users who are viewing this thread