What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

I love seeing the best of each country pitted against the giants of the big 4.

what makes the WC so great, and what makes the CL so great. just seeing the same few teams trotting out and playing against each other over and over... not so interesting to me (outside of seeing them in the latter rounds of the current CL set-up).
Yeah, I'm completely different. I have no interest in watching North Korea get steamrolled by Argentina or APOEL play Bayern. Occasionally you'll get a good story, but my favorite parts of every Champions League or World Cup tourney involve two great teams going at it.

I also think that the Group/Knockout format makes games between two great teams a little more cautious. In a league setting, more teams are going to need the 3 pts.

It absolutely would be a closed league (I suppose they could always do "expansion"). Yes, someone would finish last. Fans would have to learn to live with that. But it would be easier to live with because that team would not be relegated and face the prospect of a Leeds like fall into financial ruin. I mean, when was the last time the Raiders were good? But Raiders fans are Raiders fans.
I also don't think it will be 100% closed. There will be too much dissension internally for that to happen. It may be the same core of 8-10 teams (ManU/Barca/Real/PSG/Bayern/pick your favorite Italian team, etc.), but there will have to be some flow from either domestic competitions or weaker leagues to get buy-in to start.

But it will happen. Euro owners of big clubs are increasingly a)American owners of American teams who want the American model over there or b)infatuated with the American model with more reliable revenues and costs

What happens in 10 or 20 years when the money is gone and PSG, Chelsea, etc. are no longer "super" clubs? They get kicked out and go groveling back to their domestic leagues?

It absolutely would be a closed league (I suppose they could always do "expansion"). Yes, someone would finish last. Fans would have to learn to live with that. But it would be easier to live with because that team would not be relegated and face the prospect of a Leeds like fall into financial ruin. I mean, when was the last time the Raiders were good? But Raiders fans are Raiders fans.
Making the Super League into an American-type sports league would be very bad for me.

What happens in 10 or 20 years when the money is gone and PSG, Chelsea, etc. are no longer "super" clubs? They get kicked out and go groveling back to their domestic leagues?
How often does that happen in American sports leagues? The owners may have to sell, but the franchises retain value. The 20 to 30 teams in the Super League are going to be the 20 to 30 teams with the most revenue because their TV deal is going to blow all the other league's deals out of the water.

I don't think anyone is proposing these super clubs will leave their domestic leagues. No one would ever agree to that. I'm not following it closely though. I saw a Bundesliga official essentially came out in favor recently, but can't imagine the English FA would support this. The race for top 4 is a huge value component of its product.

How often does that happen in American sports leagues? The owners may have to sell, but the franchises retain value. The 20 to 30 teams in the Super League are going to be the 20 to 30 teams with the most revenue because their TV deal is going to blow all the other league's deals out of the water.
another reason I'm against this- allows the big teams to get bigger, further separating the quality domestically.

I don't think anyone is proposing these super clubs will leave their domestic leagues. No one would ever agree to that. I'm not following it closely though. I saw a Bundesliga official essentially came out in favor recently, but can't imagine the English FA would support this. The race for top 4 is a huge value component of its product.
the genesis of the Champions League came from a direct threat of the big clubs forming an association and talking about leaving their domestic leagues to form a super league.

UEFA met this challenge by significantly expanding the old Champions Cup.

The exact same thing is happening now. The leaving threat imo is just a huge stick to force UEFA into either expanding CL again and\or making the Champions League more closed.

The Bundesliga heaed specifically addressed both a Champions League 2.0 proposal and a Super League proposal. It was actually hard to understand what he meant, because he said that Bayern being in the "Super League" would help German football.

the genesis of the Champions League came from a direct threat of the big clubs forming an association and talking about leaving their domestic leagues to form a super league.

UEFA met this challenge by significantly expanding the old Champions Cup.

The exact same thing is happening now. The leaving threat imo is just a huge stick to force UEFA into either expanding CL again and\or making the Champions League more closed.
Well the big clubs definitely don't want to expand the CL. Their big gripe is they play these relative minnows in Aug-Feb which basically means they think they are missing out on bunch of bigger gates and TV revenue. I can certainly see them wanting to form a something more formal that would better use the 15 CL matchdays even if was just a 16 team, 2 division RR league with a championship between the 2 division winners.

I wonder if common greed will trump petty in-fighting if push comes to shove on the Super League. I think it's inevitable but it's been pretty much that way for 20 years and could be for another 20.

Not sure who it was, but the sweet finish by the Derby striker save someone from conceding a pen and a possible red. Looked like he wiped the striker out and didn't get the ball on the highlight I saw.

Adriano (yes that Adriano) signed with Miami in the NPSL. (4th division in the US pyramid)

He has played 10 league games from 2010 until now, including only 1 game since 2012.

Very odd. He was a decent player up until he was about 27 years old and then fell off the map.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adriano (yes that Adriano) signed with Miami in the NPSL. (4th division in the US pyramid)

He has played 10 league games from 2010 until now, including only 1 game since 2012.

Very odd. He was a decent player up until he was about 27 years old and then fell off the map.
Flamengo. One of my favorites. Rocket foot.

Turned on Barca v Atletico maybe 20 minutes ago -- 5 bad Atletico fouls, 3 Atletico yellows, an Atletico red for attempted homicide on Messi, two Barca goals plus four orgasms and a "machete in his jockstrap" from Ray.

How bad is fox. They have God knows how many channels and they have one FA Cup game on right now. Infomercial on Fox, two and a half men on FX, Alvin and the chipmunks on FXX, informercial on fox biz. Come on. Can't even stream the man city game.

How bad is fox. They have God knows how many channels and they have one FA Cup game on right now. Infomercial on Fox, two and a half men on FX, Alvin and the chipmunks on FXX, informercial on fox biz. Come on. Can't even stream the man city game.
I have Dortmund on Fox sports 2 buy it get what you're saying

Athletico down to 9 men now, but the better team for the first 20 minutes of the half

Arda on to face his former team. A needed change to bring more energy to the midfield

For those that have not been following Pulisic's advancement, he has followed this progression:

Late last year was with the Dortmund U19's where he scored 5 goals and 5 assists in 11 games
Two players were chosen from the U19's to train with the first team for a week and Pulisic was one of them
Impressed enough to get added to the first team that played over winter break
Played in multiple friendlies and scored a couple of goals during the break
Impressed enough to remain with first team when Bundesliga started back up after winter break.
Made the 18 man roster last week and this week got in 22 minutes and the game was level when he entered.

I am looking forward to my first MK Dons game way more than I should be.
A Dons supporter? Ephus won't be pleased ...

MK Dons starting lineup (4-2-3-1):

David Martin | Jordan Spence, Kyle McFadzean, Joe Walsh, Dean Lewington | Darren Potter, Jake Forrester-Caskey, Samir Carruthers, Rob Hall, Josh Murphy | Dean Bowditch

Substitutes from: Cody Cropper, Lee Hodson, Antony Kay, Jonny Williams, Daniel Powell, Simon Church, Nicky Maynard

Chelsea starting lineup (4-2-3-1):

Thibaut Courtois | Branislav Ivanovic, Gary Cahill, John Terry, Baba Rahman | Nemanja Matic, Cesc Fabregas | Oscar, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Eden Hazard | Diego Costa

Substitutes from: Asmir Begovic, Cesar Azpilicueta, Kurt Zouma, John Obi Mikel, Pedro, Willian, Bertrand Traore

Nigel De Jong officially signed with LA.

Kevin Baxter ‏@kbaxter11 7h7 hours ago

#LAGalaxy signings of free transfers De Jong, Ashley Cole and Jelle Van Damme cost team less than $1.7 million combined

I am looking forward to my first MK Dons game way more than I should be.
A Dons supporter? Ephus won't be pleased ...

MK Dons starting lineup (4-2-3-1):

David Martin | Jordan Spence, Kyle McFadzean, Joe Walsh, Dean Lewington | Darren Potter, Jake Forrester-Caskey, Samir Carruthers, Rob Hall, Josh Murphy | Dean Bowditch

Substitutes from: Cody Cropper, Lee Hodson, Antony Kay, Jonny Williams, Daniel Powell, Simon Church, Nicky Maynard

Chelsea starting lineup (4-2-3-1):

Thibaut Courtois | Branislav Ivanovic, Gary Cahill, John Terry, Baba Rahman | Nemanja Matic, Cesc Fabregas | Oscar, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Eden Hazard | Diego Costa

Substitutes from: Asmir Begovic, Cesar Azpilicueta, Kurt Zouma, John Obi Mikel, Pedro, Willian, Bertrand Traore
Hitler vs. Stalin

Napoli very impressive today, title race will be close
Juventus is a machine; unbelievable how they managed such a drastic roster overhaul with such patience. They were 3(w)-3(d)-4(l)at Halloween, & have since won 12 straight...most impressive is how they've slowly& deliberately incorporated Dybala into their system (from lowly Palermo). He's a sensation...beginning to think they might actually trouble Bayern in CL. No me gusta.

Users who are viewing this thread