What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

Jose told the Guardian exactly that yesterday -- that they were going to concentrate on winning the league. Today's lineup won't look much Saturday's derby.

The Europa League isn't meaningless, but it's still not a league where a team like ManU will need to play their best players to get through the group stages.

It's the perfect opportunity to get guys like Mkhi, Memphis, Rashford and Martial 90 minutes and get them seasoned into Mourinho's ways.  

There are some really good teams in the EPL this year.  A 2-month Zlatan injury and accompanying loss in form could see United in 5th or 6th place pretty quickly.

It's nice to at least have that option in the 2nd half of the season for an additional way to get into the CL, even though ManU in all likelihood won't need it.

I need to work on taking tomorrow off so I can watch the game properly at the pub instead of dvr'ing it and watching it in my room.
"I need to work on taking tomorrow off".. :lmao:

The true American work ethic..."Let's make America great again!

Just to be clear, I agree...because Soccer!

I am not a fan of expanding the WC

=======

Grant WahlVerified account‏@GrantWahl

Men's World Cup expansion to 40 teams for '26 (8 groups of 5 teams) "likely" to be approved in Oct.

I am not a fan of expanding the WC

=======

Grant WahlVerified account‏@GrantWahl

Men's World Cup expansion to 40 teams for '26 (8 groups of 5 teams) "likely" to be approved in Oct.
he had a twitter poll for this.  Voted no expansion.  Why does it need to be expanded?

Last night in CCL play, Arabe Unido (from Panama) beat Monterray to win their group.  They become the first non MLS/Liga MX side to make the quarter finals in a few years.

Looking at the standings, there are chances for other non MLS/Liga MX sides to get into the quarter finals as well.

So far only 2 teams have made the quarter finals, (Vancouver and Arabe).

Tonight, NY Red Bull, Pumas, and Tigres could advance to the quarter finals depending on various results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does it need to be expanded?
I assume it comes down to money as it always does.

I think they are envisioning two countries hosting the WC in the future.

One person made the argument that when the WC expanded to 32 teams, there was only 176 countries in FIFA.  With FIFA now at 211 countries, 40/211 teams is a similar percentage to 32/176.

:shock:  Atlanta continues to show the rest of the league they are not screwing around.  This would be a monumental get for the team imo.

Martino was previously coaching the Argentine National Team before resigning due to the chaos in the Argentine Federation.  Atlanta's first DP is also Argentinian.

===========================

Moises Linares @MoisesWZDC

Sources close to @ATLUTD say #GerardoMartino will be the teams 1st coach in #MLS the2partieshave been negotiating and Martino is the chosen1

10:31 AM - 15 Sep 2016

To make sure the Dutch make it? :shrug:
Oh right of course.  Did they expand after 94 so the English could make it?

I assume it comes down to money as it always does.

I think they are envisioning two countries hosting the WC in the future.

One person made the argument that when the WC expanded to 32 teams, there was only 176 countries in FIFA.  With FIFA now at 211 countries, 40/211 teams is a similar percentage to 32/176.
:moneybag: is probably right.

Got tomorrow off :towelwave:   Gonna start drinking in T minus 2 hours to pregame for Black Sabbath tonight at Oracle so I should still be hammered by kickoff tomorrow at noon :bag:
Black Sabbath!   :headbang:

eta: wrong thread?

Sacha came off the bench and scored in the 90th minute tonight to give NY a win in CCL group play.  I thought a win tonight would wrap up advancement for NY but there are still a group of results that could see them not advance.  

still not digging it. 

reminds me of a terrible arch prof in gradschool who would take people's project models, squint, and flip them on their sides or upside down... "I dunno- maybe hot-rod it up a bit". 
I don't dig it either, but it's echoing (badly perhaps) the Nationals stadium that is at the other end of the walkway entering United's stadium.  From the dated link below, it also looks like they are hemmed in on the far side and the endline closest to us which probably makes the lines look bad (I'm not an architect, I just play one badly on message...over to the real architect).  

http://www.capitalcommunitynews.com/sites/default/files/The Urban Design Concept sets out potential future uses for Buzzard Point..png?1454002014

@Sebowski... probably "wrongthread"....but I just can't get "chapacos" out of my head...I've been saying it all week, & it's even better when no one even knows what I'm talking about(yo tambien)...even my fellow Mexican "chapacos".  Bolivian dialect?

It's might be my favorite word of all time.

CHAPACOS!

@Sebowski... probably "wrongthread"....but I just can't get "chapacos" out of my head...I've been saying it all week, & it's even better when no one even knows what I'm talking about(yo tambien)...even my fellow Mexican "chapacos".  Bolivian dialect?

It's might be my favorite word of all time.

CHAPACOS!
:lol:  Yeah, Bolivian. Specifically where my mom is from, Tarija. 

This will sound nutso, but I honestly believe what we're seeing right now is the emergence of soccer as a major sport in the US, and the US moving towards being a major player in the world both on and off the field.

Somewhat related... Cincy drew 25k tonight.
Almost every single piece of data we have says this looks to be the case.   It is a wonderful time to be a fan after eating scraps for decades.

I found the TV ratings particularly fascinating this week.  Most people assume the EPL is by far and away the most watched soccer league in the US (and the EPL ratings are very good).  This weeks data showed the highest rated EPL game to be the Manchester Derby, as one might expect.

That typically huge draw came in only 5th this week in the soccer ratings on US tv.  4 other games drew higher.  All 4 being Liga MX games.  One Liga MX drew more than double the amount of viewers of the Manchester Derby.

Soccer is hurt in the general public's eyes because of the splintering of the TV data.  But when you add the EPL, MLS and Liga MX ratings, the sport looks extremely healthy. 

Almost every single piece of data we have says this looks to be the case.   It is a wonderful time to be a fan after eating scraps for decades.

I found the TV ratings particularly fascinating this week.  Most people assume the EPL is by far and away the most watched soccer league in the US (and the EPL ratings are very good).  This weeks data showed the highest rated EPL game to be the Manchester Derby, as one might expect.

That typically huge draw came in only 5th this week in the soccer ratings on US tv.  4 other games drew higher.  All 4 being Liga MX games.  One Liga MX drew more than double the amount of viewers of the Manchester Derby.

Soccer is hurt in the general public's eyes because of the splintering of the TV data.  But when you add the EPL, MLS and Liga MX ratings, the sport looks extremely healthy. 
Until The Wall. Then let's see what the Mexican't rating are. 

Seriously though, it is crazy that you are the only one that always puts ratings in context with the Mexican league. And thank you for that. I feel like that league can be even bigger here if the big sports networks give them a chance. I know the English broadcasts will never match their Spanish counterparts, but there is something there going unserved. More highlights, endorsements, appearances, etc...

. I know the English broadcasts will never match their Spanish counterparts, but there is something there going unserved. More highlights, endorsements, appearances, etc...
ESPN did try a couple of years ago to show a weekly Liga MX game.  It drew next to nothing.

The Liga MX market is a near perfect fit for the big Spanish channels in terms of their demographics.  I am not sure we will ever see that change.  Mexican fans in the US for the most part could care less about watching what others consider better leagues.  They always have and probably always will follow their home league.  

I am not overstating things that if MLS some how combined its own ratings, with the Liga MX and EPL ratings (effectively un-splintering the US audience), their path to being one of the best leagues in the world would be crystal clear since the TV money would following the ratings.

ESPN did try a couple of years ago to show a weekly Liga MX game.  It drew next to nothing.

The Liga MX market is a near perfect fit for the big Spanish channels in terms of their demographics.  I am not sure we will ever see that change.  Mexican fans in the US for the most part could care less about watching what others consider better leagues.  They always have and probably always will follow their home league.  

I am not overstating things that if MLS some how combined its own ratings, with the Liga MX and EPL ratings (effectively un-splintering the US audience), their path to being one of the best leagues in the world would be crystal clear since the TV money would following the ratings.
Agree. Hard to quantify though... Unless somebody was an engineer or something.

I get that. I just think those MX watchers also flip through Sportscenter and sports talk shows. They also buy..... things. There is room for something there. I think? Especially now as the next generation of Mexicans are growing up here with the clicker in their hand ( @CGRdrJoe , hi). 

More good off the field news for the sport.

=======

ORLANDO, Fla. (September 17, 2016) - The opening of Orlando City SC’s new stadium continues to be one of the most highly-anticipated events in Club history. Today, the Club announced it has officially reached its 18,000 season ticket capacity and is sold out of individual season tickets for the Lions’ 2017 Major League Soccer (MLS) season.

Users who are viewing this thread