What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (7 Viewers)

So to clarify the confirmed ups and downs so far:

Championship > League One - Rotherham
League One > League Two - Carlisle
League Two > League One - Stockport, Wrexham
National League > League Two - Chesterfield

Following tonight's results:

League One > Championship - Portsmouth (as champions)
League Two > League One - Stockport (now champions), Mansfield
League Two > National League - Forest Green

Major League Soccer (MLS) announced the implementation of three new rules starting this weekend, aiming to improve the game's efficiency and transparency. The 'Off The Field Treatment Rule' mandates injured players to leave the field for at least two minutes if down for more than 15 seconds. 'Timed Substitutions' require subbed players to exit the field within 10 seconds, or the incoming player will have to wait a minute before entering.
Be still my heart.

I thought it was cool that CBS aired the City v Real game yesterday. However, I did not think it was cool that they cut to the local news right before the end of extra time. I had to switch to the spanished channel to watch the PKs.

And that is a wrap. The Revs are (still) on the clock

========

Chris Campbell

@SoupInNYC27

Mayor Eric Adams will sign a proclamation formalizing his support for the City Council’s approval of the NYCFC stadium as part of the Willets Point Phase 2 development at this Saturday’s match against DC United

So to clarify the confirmed ups and downs so far:

Championship > League One - Rotherham
League One > League Two - Carlisle
League Two > League One - Stockport, Wrexham
National League > League Two - Chesterfield

Following tonight's results:

League One > Championship - Portsmouth (as champions)
League Two > League One - Stockport (now champions), Mansfield
League Two > National League - Forest Green

Following this weekend:

League One > League Two - Port Vale, Fleetwood Town

National League playoffs now confirmed as Barnet v Solihull Moors/Halifax and Bromley v Altrincham.

If Leeds lose tonight then Leicester can promote on Tuesday with a win against Southampton, failing that we need to wait until the weekend to decide anything.

Will be final day of Leagues 1/2 on Saturday - in L1, Derby will promote with Portsmouth with a point at home to already relegated Carlisle, or if Bolton/Peterborough is a draw. Those two are in the playoffs, will be joined by two from Barnsley, Lincoln, Oxford and Blackpool. Cheltenham will be the fourth team relegated unless they win both their game in hand then at Stevenage, but given either of the teams they could overtake play already relegated teams even that might not be enough. In L2, Sutton United will drop out of the league unless they win at MK Dons and Colchester fail to get a point from their last two games. MK Dons have a playoff spot secure, but it's three from six to fill out the rest

EPL announced its 2024 HoF inductees:
Ashley Cole
Andrew Cole
John Terry

They join the following previously inducted:
2023: Sir Alex, Wenger, Rio Ferdinand, Petr Cech, Tony Adams
2022: Vieira, Rooney, Ian Wright, Peter Schmeichel, Scholes, Drogba, Kompany, Aguero
2021: Shearer, Henry, Cantona, Roy Keane, Beckham, Berkamp, Lampard, Gerrard

Any that shouldn't be there?
Who should be next?

Ashley Cole
Andrew Cole
John Terry

2022: Vieira, Rooney, Ian Wright, Peter Schmeichel, Scholes, Drogba, Kompany, Aguero

Who should be next?
Pretty stellar list, imo.

Gazza? Rush? Or I assume they're already there.

If Scholes is there, have to assume Giggs will be too (or will his off field stuff get in the way)

Ashley Cole
Andrew Cole
John Terry

Who should be next?

While they're doing Andy and Ashley, why not include Joe so they get all three of the Cole brothers in one class?

Ashley Cole
Andrew Cole
John Terry

Who should be next?

If Scholes is there, have to assume Giggs will be too (or will his off field stuff get in the way)
Surprised Giggs is not there yet, but I am guessing his recent legal troubles is keeping him out.

Van persie and van nistelroy on the edge for me.

I assume Shearer is there.

Vidic, zola, yaya, Owen, Campbell....
Yes, Shearer is in.

I'm sure most of those get in shortly.

I am not sure about Kompany getting in so soon and before a lot of these guys.
Kun too.

The second CRo hangs em up, he's in.
CR7 is probably in for sure, last Ballon D'or winner from the EPL.

Aguero is the most prolific scorer in the EPL as far as goals per minute. I can see why he got in so quick.

Ashley Cole
Andrew Cole
John Terry

Who should be next?

It's a Premier League list. Rush was basically done with his career by the time it started and Gazza was already off to Serie A at that time, and apart from some cameos when he was well past his best did nothing in the Premier League

Not sure on obvious omissions. I'd lean towards someone with huge longevity like Speed (or, for that matter, Milner), but it's a hall of fame, not a hall of very good. Fowler I think is the first name that springs to mind

So Leverkusen and Inter have wrapped up their league titles?

PSG 11 points up with 5 to play
RM up 11 with 6 to play

EPL with a 3 team race and 5-6 games to play...

RM up 11 with 6 to play

3 team race lol
Is it not?
Been over since Arsenal and Liverpool both choked in the same weekend. City have one game that isn't an automatic three points left, and Spurs will throw that to prevent Arsenal winning the league if needed. It's done.

RM up 11 with 6 to play

3 team race lol
Is it not?
Been over since Arsenal and Liverpool both choked in the same weekend. City have one game that isn't an automatic three points left, and Spurs will throw that to prevent Arsenal winning the league if needed. It's done.
Spurs are playing for top 4 and Champions League, not sure they will roll over just to stop Arsenal. City is just as vulnerable as Arsenal and Liverpool this season. Although I do agree it is City's to lose, I do not think its a foregone conclusion like previous years.

It's also hard not to call it a 3 horse race when 1 point separates them.

Spurs have Pool Arsenal and City coming up, but Udogie out for season, and if you watch Spurs, they not the same without their starting fullbacks

All it takes is 1 game in 6 where the ball hits the post 2x and City drops 2 points.

They've had 7 draws in 32 games, or 22%. Sure they are playing well and they have a decent shot to win out, but it's not a given, even against clubs in the bottom half of the table.

We all know the story of Bayer finally ending Bayern's stranglehold on the Bundesliga but did you guys know something similar may be happening in the other Bundesliga?

In Austria, Red Bull have won ten straight seasons. But right now, Sturm Graz is in first by three points over RB. 5 games left in season and they play each other this weekend.

I think I read somewhere that if Villa wins the Conference League and all German teams left in Europe lose in their semis, England can jump back into the top 2 coefficients.

I still expect another few twists and turns in the final few matches.

Arsenal's final fixtures - 77
Tottenham (away), Bournemouth (home), Manchester United (away) and Everton (home).
Plus Champions League

Liverpool's final fixtures - 74
West Ham (away), Tottenham (home), Aston Villa (away) and Wolves (home).
Plus Europa League

Man City's final fixtures - 73
Brighton (away), Nottingham Forest (away), Wolves (home), Fulham (away), Tottenham (away) and West Ham (home).
Plus Champions League and FA Cup

I think I read somewhere that if Villa wins the Conference League and all German teams left in Europe lose in their semis, England can jump back into the top 2 coefficients.
This is correct.

And if I understand the math correctly, the points are given for each individual game, not just the 2 game series itself. So even if all the German teams lose in the semi final two legs series, they can still beat England by picking a draw/win in one of the legs.

Similarly for Aston Villa, they can't just win the semi final, they have to win both legs.

One of the formulas I saw gave England a 1.1% chance of getting everything to fall correctly to get the 5th spot.

Last edited:
This is correct.

And if I understand the math correctly, the points are given for each individual game, not just the 2 game series itself. So even if all the German teams lose in the semi final two legs series, than can still beat England by picking a draw/win in one of the legs.

Similarly for Aston Villa, they can't just win the semi final, they have to win both legs.

One of the formulas I saw gave England a 1.1% chance of getting everything to fall correctly to get the 5th spot.
Yeah was more surprised England could get that spot still. Opens a lot of scenarios though.

Right now in England:
5th and the FA Cup winner goes to Europa.
If City wins the FA Cup, 6th goes to Europa

If they somehow get that 5th CL Spot
6th and the FA Cup winner goes to Europa.
If City wins the FA Cup, 7th goes to Europa

EPL race for 4th
Villa 34 mp / 66pts - Chelsea, @ BHA, Liverpool, @ CP (plus Conf League)
Tott 32 mp / 60 pts - Arsenal, @ Chelsea, @ Liverpool, Burnley, City, @ SHU, @ Newcastle

EPL race for 6th
United 33 mp / 53 pts - Burnley, @ CP, Arsenal, Newcastle, @ BHA
Newcastle 33mp / 50 - SHU, @ Burnley, BHA, @ United, @ Brentford, Tottenham
West Ham 34 mp / 48 pts - Liverpool, @ Chelsea, Luton, @ City
Chelsea 32 mp / 47 pts - @ Villa, Tottenham, West Ham, @ NF, @ BHA, Bournemouth

4th: Champions League
5th: Europa League
6th: Conference League

If City wins the FA Cup:
6th: Europa League
7th: Conference League

If United wins the FA Cup they get Europa.

One thing I will give United credit for last night is their drinks prices, they could easily charge over a fiver a pint but kept the prices down to £3.40, that's basically cheap pub prices! Granted the beer they sell is crap but at that price I won't complain

Today, Roma had to travel to Udin to play the last 20 minutes of the 1-1 match that was suspended due to Ndicka’s injury. Still 1-1 as they headed into extra time. Then this happens in ninety-fifth minute:

Edit to add: keeps Roma in fifth for what appears to be the last Champion’s League spot.

Users who are viewing this thread