What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Steelers 2009 Thread (1 Viewer)

Too bad that Murtha is off the board, but teams must have been VERY wary of his injury history. Slauson (G) went a round before him and isn't nearly the prospect that Murtha is.

Last pick David Johnson is a 6' 1" 260 lb TE that can't separate, but is athletic, has good ball skills, and most telling, worked out as a fullback and h-back in addition to TE. In my opinion, they'll work him out at fullback and let him compete with summers for the short-yardage job.

Last pick David Johnson is a 6' 1" 260 lb TE that can't separate, but is athletic, has good ball skills, and most telling, worked out as a fullback and h-back in addition to TE. In my opinion, they'll work him out at fullback and let him compete with summers for the short-yardage job.
Arkansas State is Mike Tomlin's old stomping grounds, so he should have some good intel on this guy.

KFFL is reporting that the Steelers have signed UFAs RT Ramon Foster (6'5"/328) from Tennessee and LS Mark Estermyer from Pitt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I echo everything EG said about Joe Burnett.

I live local to UCF as well, and he's the real deal. His measurables may not be top notch, but his instincts and recognition ARE. As a zone CB, he should be a solid nickle guy, and a plus returner(particularly on punts. His vision and patience make him extremely dangerous), at worst. 4 year starter, team leader, etc etc.

In the 5th round, he's excellent value.

-----

Draft Bible reporting that they've signed Mike Reilly, QB, and some S from New Mexico State as well.

2009 Steelers Post-Draft Press Conference

Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert and Head Coach Mike Tomlin

Kevin Colbert: As we say every year, you never say that you had a bad recruiting class - you never feel you are going to be disappointed with your draft picks. We certainly have that feeling right now. We entered this day with eight picks, and we felt that we were going to get people to help us at all different levels, kind of like we felt when we started this whole process. I’m sure Coach Zierlein was down here talking about Kraig Urbik. He is a nice, big guy who we think can compete for an interior offensive line spot with us. Mike Wallace is one of the fastest receivers in this draft. To go along with that size, he is right around 200 pounds. He will also give us somebody who can compete for a kick returning spot. Keenan Lewis is a nice-sized corner who is just under 6-1. He is a 4.4 kid. He played a ton of man-to-man coverage so he will need some work in zone coverage. The size and the speed and the man-to-man abilities of this player were very intriguing. Joe Burnett, when you match his production with any corner in this draft, it was right up there. He was highly productive with PBUs, interceptions, punt returns and kick returns. This is a highly productive player that we think will add nice competition and depth to us. Frank Summers is a thick running back. When you see him, the first guy that he reminded me of, although a little bit shorter, but he is built like Duce Staley. He is a thick guy who runs hard and runs thick. He will not only give us a running back, but he will give us some special teams cover ability. Sonny Harris is another big body who can move. He really played in a three-technique or a five-technique at Oregon. He can probably play end and nose for us. Again, a nice, big body who can move. A.Q. Shipley, I am sure you are familiar with who he is – a local kid from Moon High School. He played at Penn State and did a great job. You are going to hear a ton about how he is short and his arms are only 29 inches, but once we figure out a way to measure a heart, then we will be on to something. A.Q. is a productive, tough player. That is what we were looking for in these late rounds. David Johnson is a tight end. He is more of a move-type tight end – he is not the typical 6-4, 6-5 guy but more the 6-2 guy who can move and play some H-back or fullback. We are real happy with how this turned out. We think we got a lot of guys who can compete and add some depth and hopefully allow us to win some games.

Head Coach Mike Tomlin: I like the nicknames. We have Ziggy Hood; we have Sonny Harris; we have Frank “The Tank” Summers. We set out talking about what we were looking for in this draft – high-quality people, humble guys and guys who can fit in. All of these guys fit that bill. They have nice resumes – three and four-year bodies of work on almost all of these guys. Things that we evaluate like toughness, intelligence – these guys display that. This was a great day for us. I felt that we were able to get some things done, and Kevin detailed that. We were pleased.

You said this needed to be a special draft – did you accomplish that?

Colbert: Only time will tell. I said that fully understanding where this team is and where we want this team to be – And acknowledging that we weren’t big players in free agency. Players have to come from somewhere and the draft has always been this organizations source of talent and it’s our job to make sure that continues.

When you traded out of round two – did you end up with the guys in round three you were planning on?

Colbert: Yeah we did. There was a group in there and there were other guys other than the three we picked in the third round, but that group definitely – we looked at it and we knew we had a couple players at each position that we were looking at and if we got lucky we’d be able to get three. We were really targeting an offensive lineman, a corner and a receiver with those three picks. We felt we could come out of that and which we did.

RE: Given yourself options on return game:

Tomlin: Mike Wallace is a credible return guy as a kickoff return man. He has multiple returns for touchdowns in his career and (Joe) Burnett is as productive as anybody in that area. I think he’s got a five as a combination as a punt and kick return guy. We feel like we’ve given ourselves some candidates in that regard. We realize that’s a potential weakness in our football team. Maybe these young men are the answer to that. We look forward to watching them work.

Who are some of the other candidates for the return game? Stefan Logan?

Tomlin: Sure, he’s a guy we acquired of course in the off-season and put in our winter program who’s been working hard and long. We still view Mewelde Moore as a viable option. He got pressed into some other duties last year due to circumstances when we lost a number of running backs. That was the intent when we acquired him; he’s still capable of that – Santonio Holmes etc. But we’re excited about these young guys and the resume they were able to put together in that regard in college football.

The corner from the Colts, Ratliff – return punts?

Tomlin: He’s returned some punts – that hasn’t been part of the consideration in terms of acquiring him. He’s a good solid veteran corner who’s played some football – particularly in sub-package football and get off downs.

Mike Wallace had tough times – do you know about the story and do you appreciate what he’s going through?

Tomlin: Yes, very familiar with that story. I spoke down in Knoxville at the University of Tennessee several weeks back and their wide receiver coach at Tennessee was not only familiar with him, but also Keenan Lewis – he coached those guys since they were in seventh grade. I heard detail information about their story, but it’s not a secret. I think people that prepare for the draft knew the story of those young men and specifically Wallace and what he and his family went through in terms of being relocated and how it affected is senior year and recruiting process and all of that. Those kind of life experiences harden you and let’s face it, the National Football League game is a game for the mentally tough – and we believe some of his life experiences will be a help to him as he transitions to the pro game because of course that’s not going to be easy.

Is Summers a candidate to do some goal line work?

Tomlin: He is. When you put the UNLV tape on, very rarely does he get dropped in the backfield. Short yardage goal line situations have been an asset of his game. I think he got into the end zone ten times or so this year. But aside from what he’s able to do with the ball in his hand – an attractive feature for us was a big running back like him who is also a functional special team’s player. This guy was a productive special team’s player. He cover kicks – he covered punts – he was an up-back if you will in the kickoff return game. You know we’re looking for guys that are capable a lot of things. Here’s a guy that works in an area that usually doesn’t have a bunch of position flexibility with the people that occupy those roles. He’s a big powerful back who is not a fish out of water in the special team’s game and that’s attractive to us.

Did you see the you-tube clip?

Tomlin: I did, but that did not weigh in his evaluation for us. That was in high school – I did some things in high school.

Lewis and Wallace went to school together. Do you think that will help them with their transition?

Tomlin: I think you’ve got to make your own plays. They have to stand up and deliver. Maybe it will be comforting off the field in terms of getting transitioned and being able to look around and see a familiar face. But in terms of making the plays required to be a part of this thing and do what’s required, it’s every man for himself. That’s just the nature of this game and of this business. I’m sure they are excited. I think when we were on the phone with Keenan Lewis this afternoon, he said he was going to take his party over to Mike Wallace’s house and they were going to have a good time together. That’s kind of a neat story.

At times, did the short yardage and goal line thing get a little frustrating for you?

Tomlin: No, I enjoyed it.

Was there anything about those two kids (Wallace and Lewis) that lead you to one or the other, or is that just a unique coincidence?

Colbert: Not really. The fact that they grew up together and went to school together really didn’t play into things until we picked both of them. Mike was somebody that was interesting because he’s a speed receiver that can return kicks, and Keenan was a big corner. But, really, their relationship, we really didn’t talk about it until afterward. We knew about it, but it wasn’t a factor.

What goes into a short-yardage guy? Are there intangibles? Is it a physical kind of thing?

Tomlin: It’s a feel for the game. It’s knowing where to put the ball, but it’s also physicality – the ability to have great pad level and leg drive and be determined not to get knocked backwards.

And is that the characteristics of Summers?

Tomlin: He does have some of those characteristics at the collegiate level. We’ll see.

This day is approaching nine hours long now. What is this day like for you? Is it full of surprises, or do you have it so mapped out that it goes pretty much according to plan?

Tomlin: I wouldn’t necessarily characterize it as surprises. I think that Kevin and the scouting staff did a great job of developing and preparing the board. Really, we were very methodical about the things that we wanted to do, not only today, but leading up to today. I thought it was critical when we made the decision last night to go with three 3’s [third-round picks] and have four picks in the top 96 picks in the draft. We’re excited about being able to do that and getting some quality. And we feel like we did that. We got four players in the first three rounds in areas that we wanted to get players – some big, young people in the offensive and defensive line, a wideout with some speed capabilities that is capable of stretching the field, hopefully similar to the way that Nate Washington did, who’s also a kick returner, and a six-foot corner who can run. It was a productive day. A long day, yes, but those are challenges that inspire you and that fire you up when you do what it is that we do.

With nine draft picks, how will that affect signing free agents?

Colbert: It will be somewhere around 10 to 12. We’ll be working on that as soon as this concludes. We may over-sign at a couple of positions because we can. We can be over 80 [players] until we sign our draft picks. So we could be a little bit higher. During the mini-camps and the OTAs. But we’ll see what kind of response we get. Sometimes, we’re really desparate just trying to find a guy and sometimes we wind up with an extra guy. It’s kind of like college recruiting. You can only promise so many scholarships and you may have to pull one, or we may have to add one somewhere along the way. It will be somewhere around 10 to 12.

Do any of your draft choices have to wait before they can work out here?

Tomlin: No, I think we’re clean.

Colbert: No, we’re good because the kids that are quarter-school guys have their degrees.

You mentioned A.Q.’s heart. That being said, why do you think he lasted this long in this draft?

Colbert: I can’t answer that. Again, we all want the biggest, the fastest, all the measurables. And you’re not going to get that. I always tell players [that] 90 percent of their evaluation is from August until December – what we see them do on the field. This kid was a productive player. When we’d interview defensive linemen – when we interview any position, we always ask them who was the toughest offensive lineman you went against, and vice versa – and we got A.Q.’s name quite often. So I can’t answer why he lasted. We’re happy to get him where we got him because we think he’ll come in and he’ll compete.

Can you talk about Hines [Ward] yet?

Colbert: Oh, yeah. Hines is official. He did sign.

Are you glad to get that done?

Colbert: I think everybody in the organization wanted that and we want to see Hines conclude his career here much like Jerome [bettis] did because he’s been such a big part of the organization and especially a big part of our success in the last couple of years. You want a player like that to finish in a Steeler uniform. He was committed to that and we were committed to that. And, thankfully, it worked out.

Mike, what are your thoughts on that?

Tomlin: You love Hines because I don’t know if the five-year contract in his mind allows him to finish [as] a Steeler. That’s just how he’s wired. He embodies what’s important to us as far as how he approaches the game. He’s a football player first and a wide receiver second; a great leader for us, a productive player, a guy that’s got a passion for the game, a desire to win and compete. He’s Hines. We all know him and love him. I’m really glad that the deal got done.

You have brought rookies along slow since you’ve been here. Is that by design?

Tomlin: Really it’s just more of a function that we have a pretty good football team. We’re not going to anoint anyone or hand jobs to anyone. They’ve got to earn it. Part of them doing that is having an opportunity. There haven’t been many opportunities for some of our young people because our veteran players have been so solid. So it’s been a good thing, actually. I’m a proponent of that. I think that in order for somebody to really appreciate what this league is about, they have to earn it. So it’s been a good thing. Because of what happened here in recent years is no indication of what’s going to happen with these young men. Maybe some men in this group are not enamored by the transition, are quick studies and are competitive and able to produce. And maybe they’ll be on the field for us because of it.

That being said, Kraig Urbik, the guard, what do you like best about this guy? And with Kendall [simmons] gone, might he be a candidate to start this year?

Tomlin: He could. He’s a right guard, of course, a four-year right guard from Wisconsin. He’s a big guy. He’ll fight you. He has the characteristics of those Wisconsin linemen. He’s a smart guy. We’ll see how he transitions. He’ll be definitely given an opportunity to show what he’s capable of.

How much can you take from what you see at mini-camp?

Tomlin: You know I’m not a big proponent of football in shorts. The rookie mini-camp, for me, is about teaching. It’s about getting to know these guys to see how they take in information, to see how they deal with the ups and downs of good plays and bad plays from an assignment standpoint. But football will be played in Latrobe.

I had heard that we tried to move up in the second to grab Unger but according to Matt Pawlikowski in the Examiner, we also tried to move up twice in the first round to grab Mack and Wood. The more I think about the Shipley pick, though, the more I like it. Now I'm wondering which of the rostered OL will wind up washing out because there are a lot of guys in that group who have a very similar talent level. With Simmons and Smith gone, that only opens up two spots, and in reality it will be even tighter than that because both of them were on IR by the end of the regular season.

Pittsburgh Steelers report: Steelers steal Penn State's A.Q. Shipley in seventh round

April 27, 2:12 AM

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers wanted a center badly in the 2009 draft. So much so, they tried to trade up for both California's Alex Mack and Louisville's Eric Wood in the first round.

When they failed in the attempts, they took a defensive lineman instead, a man they didn't believe would still be on the board in Ziggy Wood.

Perhaps it was a good omen of sorts, as the Steelers finally got their man, six rounds later when they tagged Penn State and nearby Moon Twp native A.Q. Shipley in the seventh round.

Needless to say, Shipley was ecstatic about getting the call.

"As a Steeler fan growing up especially being from Pittsburgh – it means the absolute world to me," he said. "When I finally got the call and Coach Tomlin got on the phone it was unbelievable and meant the world to me."

Shipley was one of the players the Steelers brought in for interviews. As a senior in 2008, he won the Rimington trophy as best center in the country and was also a second team all American.

But at 6-foot-1, 304 pounds he has been described as undersized for the center position with short arms. Asked about that, Shipley said it has yet to be a factor in the way he plays.

"Never and I don’t plan on them being," Shipley said of his arms being a liability. "I’ve gotten that knock throughout this whole process going into the NFL. It makes me work that much harder to get the other attributes that I have that allow me to be the player that I have been all through college – and will hopefully allow me to be that player in the NFL."

Shipley does remind many though, of another undersized center, Hall of famer Mike Webster. While at Moon Twp., not only did he get to meet Webster, but he also played football with his son, Garrett.

"I played with (Garrett) for two years," Shipley said of Webster. "So the fact that I could learn what I could in the short time with Mike Webster and get to know him as a person. It obviously means that much more to me being that he was one of the greatest centers ever to play the game and the best probably ever with the Steelers."

Asked about Shipley, director of football operations Kevin Colbert said he was all heart.

"You are going to hear a ton about how he is short and his arms are only 29 inches, but once we figure out a way to measure a heart, then we will be on to something," Colbert said. " A.Q. is a productive, tough player. That is what we were looking for in these late rounds."

Colbert said one of the things that intrigued him most about Shipley was what other players had said about his toughness.

When we’d interview defensive linemen – when we interview any position, we always ask them who was the toughest offensive lineman you went against, and vice versa – and we got A.Q.’s name quite often," Colbert said. " I can’t answer why he lasted, but we're happy to get him where we got him because we think he’ll come in and he’ll compete."
Link

Shipley - GREAT pick - I think this guy can make the team as a 7th rounder.
:lmao: Love getting Shipley here. Still hate the gaping wound at LT, but I'll bump this to B- with Shipley. If they get Cadogan or Murtha with their last pick, I might bump it to B
You realize the Steelers won the Super Bowl, right?
Gee. This writer gives the Steelers a....Wait for it...B- Wonder if he realizes the Steelers won the Super Bowl.http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...ft-grades_N.htm

"Steelers let the draft unfold and took the best player on their board, DT Evander "Ziggy" Hood. A need? Not really."

I can't take his grade seriously.

:goodposting: Love getting Shipley here. Still hate the gaping wound at LT, but I'll bump this to B- with Shipley. If they get Cadogan or Murtha with their last pick, I might bump it to B
Gee. This writer gives the Steelers a....Wait for it...B- Wonder if he realizes the Steelers won the Super Bowl.http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...ft-grades_N.htm
I prefer Perloff's grade and reasoning...1. Draft report cards are almost always backwards. Teams with the high picks get good grades, when they should all get C's, D's and E's. How could anyone congratulate the Lions for having to guarantee $41 million to an unproven player in Matthew Stafford? The dominant teams of the decade, New England and Pittsburgh, benefit tremendously from never having to make that kind of investment. The Steelers have been trapped in the top 10 once in the last 19 years (Plaxico Burress at No. 8 in 2000), and the Patriots have been there only twice this decade (Jerod Mayo at No. 10 last year and Richard Seymour at No. 6 in 2001). So even if I've never heard of some of the guys Pittsburgh and New England took, based on history and financial positioning I'm giving them strong A's.

:lmao: Love getting Shipley here. Still hate the gaping wound at LT, but I'll bump this to B- with Shipley. If they get Cadogan or Murtha with their last pick, I might bump it to B
Kiper gave them a B

:wall: Love getting Shipley here. Still hate the gaping wound at LT, but I'll bump this to B- with Shipley. If they get Cadogan or Murtha with their last pick, I might bump it to B
Kiper gave them a B
I don't see how anyone could give them higher.

Wide range of draft grades.

Kiper

Pittsburgh Steelers: GRADE: B

First-round selection Evander Hood was a good pick because he should fit in well as a defensive tackle in the Steelers' system. I love third-round wide receiver Mike Wallace's speed. Cornerback Joe Burnett and running back Frank Summers were good selections in the fifth round. Defensive tackle Ra'Shon Harris could be a steal out of the sixth round.

McShay

Pittsburgh Steelers

2009 draft class

Best pick: G Kraig Urbik, Wisconsin (Third round, No. 79 overall)

Worst pick: DT Evander Hood, Missouri (First round, No. 32 overall)

Bottom line: The Steelers traded out of the second round and got value in the third round in what is a comparatively lean overall class. Urbik is a big, tough guard who fits the classic Steelers mold and will bolster the interior of the offensive line. Hood has some versatility and can fit as an end in Pittsburgh's 3-4 front, but he tends to play high and I'm not sure he's ideally suited to taking on blockers. WR Mike Wallace and CB Keenan Lewis could develop into solid role players, and CB Joe Burnett could be the diamond in the rough in this group.

Clifton Brown, Sporting News

Pittsburgh Steelers: F

It's hard to have an impressive draft after you win the Super Bowl and pick 32nd. Defensive tackle Evander "Ziggy" Hood could be a nice pickup on a line that needed to get younger. Wideout Mike Wallace is an intriguing deep threat.

Rick Gosselin, Dallas News

Pittsburgh D

Urbik may be the most important selection because he addresses Pittsburgh's most pressing need. Wallace can provide the deep speed that departed with Nate Washington. But there was too much reaching in the second day.

Peter King

• Pittsburgh. Utilitarian draft, with Ziggy Hood coming in to be a starter, eventually, at end instead of 4-3 tackle ... Kraig Urbik (now, doesn't that sounds like a Steeler offensive-line name?) is a brawler who might have to play guard after a tackle career at Wisconsin ... And after losing Nate Washington in free-agency, Steelers picked his deep-threat heir in Mike Wallace of Ole Miss.

Pete Prisco, CBS

Pittsburgh Steelers analysis Grade

Best pick: Evander Hood was a nice pick in the first round because age is becoming an issue on their defensive line.

Questionable move: Waiting until the third round to address the offensive line and doing so only once.

Second-day gem: Fourth-round pick Mike Wallace is a speedy receiver who could help fill the void left by Nate Washington.

Kevin Colbert remains one of the league's most underrated talent evaluators.

here's where the Steelers really excel, picking up undrafted free agents :goodposting:
Via Mondesi's House:LS Mark Estermyer (Pitt)

LB Tom Korte (Hillsdale College)

T Ramon Foster (Tennessee)

QB Mike Reilly (Central Washington)

WR Tyler Grisham (Clemson)

S Derrick Richardson (New Mexico State)

QB Kevin McCabe (Virginia transferred to California University of Pennsylvania)

here's where the Steelers really excel, picking up undrafted free agents :lol:

haven't seen that name in a while. big time recruit coming out of HS. Got benched at UVA. Left the program.

Pittsburgh D

Urbik may be the most important selection because he addresses Pittsburgh's most pressing need. Wallace can provide the deep speed that departed with Nate Washington. But there was too much reaching in the second day.
Shocking that the guy from Dallas gave the Steelers a D.

Pittsburgh D

I want to know who the reaches on Day 2 were, in his mind. Harris I can see an argument for(albeit not a very large one. It was a 6th round pick, after all)...but where are these other ones?I don't think this is an "A" draft or anything....but a D?

Immediate draft grades mean less than nothing anyway, other than how these yahoos judge it in comparison to their pre-draft board. I'll worry about grading this draft(or any teams', really) in about 2 or 3 years.

"Steelers let the draft unfold and took the best player on their board, DT Evander "Ziggy" Hood. A need? Not really."I can't take his grade seriously.
:goodposting: I guess with 5 DL over the age of 30, that position isn't one of need? :confused:
:shrug: :thumbdown: comment to not know the aging status of the line...PIT reloads, doesn't rebuilddraftniks want year 1 production, they don't appreciate teams that plan 2-3 years down the line (mike mayock, Adam Schefter, Cecil lammey and sigmund Bloom are exceptions to this, IMO, but the rest are all focused on ROY, IMO).

"Steelers let the draft unfold and took the best player on their board, DT Evander "Ziggy" Hood. A need? Not really."I can't take his grade seriously.
:goodposting: I guess with 5 DL over the age of 30, that position isn't one of need? :confused:
:goodposting: :thumbdown: comment to not know the aging status of the line...PIT reloads, doesn't rebuilddraftniks want year 1 production, they don't appreciate teams that plan 2-3 years down the line (mike mayock, Adam Schefter, Cecil lammey and sigmund Bloom are exceptions to this, IMO, but the rest are all focused on ROY, IMO).
Then you'll appreciate that my only real criticism of this year's draft is that it fails to take a 2-3 year look down at the Left Tackle position.

:goodposting: :thumbdown: comment to not know the aging status of the line...PIT reloads, doesn't rebuilddraftniks want year 1 production, they don't appreciate teams that plan 2-3 years down the line (mike mayock, Adam Schefter, Cecil lammey and sigmund Bloom are exceptions to this, IMO, but the rest are all focused on ROY, IMO).
Then you'll appreciate that my only real criticism of this year's draft is that it fails to take a 2-3 year look down at the Left Tackle position.
Hard to find a top quality LT at #32 in the first round, that's usually a top 10 pick but I guesss we can't complan about that...LOL

:lmao: I guess with 5 DL over the age of 30, that position isn't one of need? :lmao:
:lmao: :lmao: comment to not know the aging status of the line...PIT reloads, doesn't rebuilddraftniks want year 1 production, they don't appreciate teams that plan 2-3 years down the line (mike mayock, Adam Schefter, Cecil lammey and sigmund Bloom are exceptions to this, IMO, but the rest are all focused on ROY, IMO).
The Steelers will be extending Max Starks like it or not.

:thumbdown: I guess with 5 DL over the age of 30, that position isn't one of need? :lmao:
:lmao: :lmao: comment to not know the aging status of the line...PIT reloads, doesn't rebuilddraftniks want year 1 production, they don't appreciate teams that plan 2-3 years down the line (mike mayock, Adam Schefter, Cecil lammey and sigmund Bloom are exceptions to this, IMO, but the rest are all focused on ROY, IMO).
When? I don't see it.

:thumbdown: I guess with 5 DL over the age of 30, that position isn't one of need? :lmao:
This is not the answer I want to hear. Though I'm not 100% certain he'll stay in Pittsburgh as someone will likely pay him more than we're willing.

:mellow: I guess with 5 DL over the age of 30, that position isn't one of need? :confused:
I disagree. Max Starks has little motivation to sign ANYTHING with a guaranteed 8 million+ in hand, and the ability to either A)hit the open market in a year with the ability to claim he's a starting LT from a SB team, or B)merely have Pittsburgh start the same pony ride all over again by re-tagging him, and thereby guaranteeing him another year of top 5 OT money(unless they've changed the rules for the franchise tag. No idea, and too lazy to check right now.)Starks may well wind up being a Steeler long-term, but I seriously doubt it's going to happen in 2009. Not unless he has the world's worst agent. They lose almost nothing by waiting until next offseason, unless Starks is REALLY interested in making sure he remains with Pittsburgh. I remain skeptical he really cares that much about that, or he'd have sprinted to the table to sign that transition tag contract a year ago.

I disagree. Max Starks has little motivation to sign ANYTHING with a guaranteed 8 million+ in hand, and the ability to either A)hit the open market in a year with the ability to claim he's a starting LT from a SB team, or B)merely have Pittsburgh start the same pony ride all over again by re-tagging him, and thereby guaranteeing him another year of top 5 OT money(unless they've changed the rules for the franchise tag. No idea, and too lazy to check right now.)Starks may well wind up being a Steeler long-term, but I seriously doubt it's going to happen in 2009. Not unless he has the world's worst agent. They lose almost nothing by waiting until next offseason, unless Starks is REALLY interested in making sure he remains with Pittsburgh. I remain skeptical he really cares that much about that, or he'd have sprinted to the table to sign that transition tag contract a year ago.
Exactly right. If we tag him again next year, he'll get approximately $10 million for one year. If not, he becomes an unrestricted free agent at one of the thinnest positions in football in an uncapped year (probably.) Look at Peters' deal. Steelers would probably need to come with (speculating) a 6 year deal at about $50 million with close to half of it guaranteed for Starks to entertain signing now.I think the chances of Starks playing LT for the Steelers after this season are about 10%. Beyond that, 2%.

Exactly right. If we tag him again next year, he'll get approximately $10 million for one year. If not, he becomes an unrestricted free agent at one of the thinnest positions in football in an uncapped year (probably.) Look at Peters' deal. Steelers would probably need to come with (speculating) a 6 year deal at about $50 million with close to half of it guaranteed for Starks to entertain signing now.I think the chances of Starks playing LT for the Steelers after this season are about 10%. Beyond that, 2%.
I think those percentages may be even lower, dude. I can't see them tagging him for that much coin....but I didn't think they'd do what they did the last two years with him either. Who knows at this point?Consider this....Starks was benching it behind the underwhelming Colon. He only started a year ago, technically, because of injuries. The Steelers front office may well view Starks as nothing more than a necessary expense right now because they have zero other viable options at LT. If that IS how they feel....then their lack of aggression in acquiring other players who may project there is puzzling. So then that could make one think that perhaps they feel he IS a viable long-term LT? They watch the game tapes more than any of us do, so I don't know how that could be the case, but what if it is? Eesh. It's a circular argument and frankly it makes my head hurt.I will say this: Based on their personnel moves in the past two off seasons, it seems clear to me that they intend to have one of either Starks or Colon signed to a longer-term deal come the offseason. Starks will almost certainly cost more than he is worth, so that means......we may(MAY) be looking at Willie Colon as the starting RT in Pittsburgh for a good little spell. Given they've benched Starks for him twice, it makes me think they like him better anyway, for whatever reason.

I know he can't say it publically, but the prospect of Colon being the single line of defense between defenders and his blindside has to scare Ben more than an old lady in a Caddy.

Lord knows I've been wrong before.

One of Colon or Starks will be here for a while.

IMO, Starks is the far superior player. He is a better LT than Jordan Gross. True.

I am betting they will choose to extend the talent.

The Steelers signed FA QB Mike Reilly out of Central Washington. Ron Jaworski should be proud...then again, maybe not!!!

:towelwave:

analog_hiss said:
here's where the Steelers really excel, picking up undrafted free agents <_<

Add two more:LB Andy Schantz (Portland State)

WR Demiko Goodman (Georgia)

5-ish Finkle said:
CrossEyed said:

Pittsburgh D

I want to know who the reaches on Day 2 were, in his mind. Harris I can see an argument for(albeit not a very large one. It was a 6th round pick, after all)...but where are these other ones?I don't think this is an "A" draft or anything....but a D?

Immediate draft grades mean less than nothing anyway, other than how these yahoos judge it in comparison to their pre-draft board. I'll worry about grading this draft(or any teams', really) in about 2 or 3 years.
My grade for the Steelers recent drafts is Lombardi Trophy.

Steelers meet with free agent WR Lelie

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Unrestricted free agent Ashley Lelie, among the top deep receiving threats in the NFL, met with Steelers officials Monday and could sign with the team, agent Peter Schaffer said.

"He had a great visit. The Steelers and I are going to continue to have open dialogue," Schaffer said. "I think there's some mutual interest, and we're going to keep discussing it."

A former first-round draft pick by Denver, Lelie's play experienced a sharp decline after being traded to Atlanta in 2006. Lelie demanded a trade after Denver acquired receiver Javon Walker.

From 2002-05 with the Broncos, Lelie (6-foot-3, 195 pounds) had 168 receptions and 12 touchdowns, with an impressive one-fourth of his catches — 42 — longer than 25 yards. His best season in 2004 produced 54 catches for 1,084 yards and seven touchdowns.

In seven pro seasons, Lelie, 29, a tall, rangy receiver with sprinter's speed, has averaged 17.3 yards per catch.

However, during the past three seasons with Atlanta, San Francisco and Oakland, Lelie had a total of 49 catches and three TDs. He missed the last four games in 2008 with Oakland because of a calf injury.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said the Steelers are seeking a replacement for Nate Washington, who was prominent in three-wide receiver sets, and that recent third-round draft pick Mike Wallace will compete for the job.

"We'll just throw him in the mix and the best ones will come out," Arians said of Wallace. "He's a very capable player for that."

Wallace will have to beat out 2008 second-round draft pick Limas Sweed, who will also compete at No. 3 receiver. Neither player has Lelie's track record for making big plays against NFL defenses.

"It was a very productive day for Ashley," Schaffer said. "The Steelers, I think, came away with the same opinion, and we're going to keep an open line of communication."

I liked the late draft a lot more than the early draft. I will say that they took all "Steelers guys" which continues to demonstrate a high priority on maintaining the culture. I have to assume that they just didn't want Gilbert as a 3-4 end and I guess it makes sense because they don't run the Wade Phillips 3-4 - it's more important for our ends to be stout, and Hood is. He's extremely tough and loves the dirty work.

I thought Urbik was the best guard in this draft. He's not going to be nimble in pass pro, but neither is Kemo or Stapleton. I like the pick because it signals to me that they are not going in any kind of ZBS direction, Urbik is a man blocker all the way, and he'll help a ton in short yardage.

Wallace could be a major steal, he's one of the fastest WRs in the draft, and the change in his routes from Mon-Wed at the Senior Bowl was eye-opening. He told us that the coach there gave him some tips that helped him a ton, and you could tell. Lewis is a great bump and run corner, but he'll need help over the top. I'll just assume that they knew what they were doing when they picked him.

Obviously I love the 5th round double dip of Draftguys TV players. Summers just drips with Steelers energy, and Burnett is a great nickel back - even if he isn't going to put on a show with speed and overall athleticism, he's going to be consistent and very focused.

Harris is a grinder, good depth at DE, once again, theyre not looking for playmakers at DE, just hard working lunchpail guys.

Shipley was my favorite pick of this class, he'll start in time, I feel certain.

Of the UDFAs, I like Foster (at least as a UDFA) - he's massive and decently athletic, he just needs some work. He held everybody at the Shrine Game. Schantz is a re-do of the Humpal pick, he's another try hard guy, special teamer, who could end up being ILB depth in time. I will say I was really hoping for Frantz Joseph and Mitch King, but I can't complain.

in 07 they took "their guys" and the draft ended up being solid despite people like me second-guessing them

in 08 they take BPAs and swing for homers, and so far, ehhhh

so Im fine with them going back to getting the guys that fit the system/culture and not trying for superstars - although I have to say Alphonso Smith would have made me thrilled at 32, and he seemed like a Steelers guy - I understand passing on Gilbert (twice) and Maualuga, because of the hustle/fit issue for Gilbert and character issue for Rey.

Sigmund Bloom said:
I liked the late draft a lot more than the early draft. I will say that they took all "Steelers guys" which continues to demonstrate a high priority on maintaining the culture. I have to assume that they just didn't want Gilbert as a 3-4 end and I guess it makes sense because they don't run the Wade Phillips 3-4 - it's more important for our ends to be stout, and Hood is. He's extremely tough and loves the dirty work.I thought Urbik was the best guard in this draft. He's not going to be nimble in pass pro, but neither is Kemo or Stapleton. I like the pick because it signals to me that they are not going in any kind of ZBS direction, Urbik is a man blocker all the way, and he'll help a ton in short yardage.Wallace could be a major steal, he's one of the fastest WRs in the draft, and the change in his routes from Mon-Wed at the Senior Bowl was eye-opening. He told us that the coach there gave him some tips that helped him a ton, and you could tell. Lewis is a great bump and run corner, but he'll need help over the top. I'll just assume that they knew what they were doing when they picked him.Obviously I love the 5th round double dip of Draftguys TV players. Summers just drips with Steelers energy, and Burnett is a great nickel back - even if he isn't going to put on a show with speed and overall athleticism, he's going to be consistent and very focused.Harris is a grinder, good depth at DE, once again, theyre not looking for playmakers at DE, just hard working lunchpail guys.Shipley was my favorite pick of this class, he'll start in time, I feel certain.Of the UDFAs, I like Foster (at least as a UDFA) - he's massive and decently athletic, he just needs some work. He held everybody at the Shrine Game. Schantz is a re-do of the Humpal pick, he's another try hard guy, special teamer, who could end up being ILB depth in time. I will say I was really hoping for Frantz Joseph and Mitch King, but I can't complain.in 07 they took "their guys" and the draft ended up being solid despite people like me second-guessing themin 08 they take BPAs and swing for homers, and so far, ehhhhso Im fine with them going back to getting the guys that fit the system/culture and not trying for superstars - although I have to say Alphonso Smith would have made me thrilled at 32, and he seemed like a Steelers guy - I understand passing on Gilbert (twice) and Maualuga, because of the hustle/fit issue for Gilbert and character issue for Rey.
Bloom, is Cadogan still unsigned? Can't figure out what the Steelers didn't like about this guy. In their backyard, good size, great feet, smart, great intangibles, one of the few guys in the draft class who legitimately projects to LT. Only knock on him I saw was a lack of initial punch, but I can't imagine a couple years in Steelers' camp would have gotten him a little stronger. I'd seen him projected as high as round 3....ETA : NM, I see the Panthers signed him.

From PFT

Steelers Cutting Larry FootePosted by Mike Florio on April 28, 2009, 11:22 a.m.A league source tells us that the Steelers will be cutting linebacker Larry Foote.More details to come after radio spot with Paul Allen of KFAN in Minnesota.

From PFT

Steelers Cutting Larry FootePosted by Mike Florio on April 28, 2009, 11:22 a.m.A league source tells us that the Steelers will be cutting linebacker Larry Foote.More details to come after radio spot with Paul Allen of KFAN in Minnesota.
I would be really surprised if true. They would be thin at ILB if they did this and with the contracts of Ward and Taylor being redone, they don't need the cap room.

Sigmund Bloom said:
I liked the late draft a lot more than the early draft. I will say that they took all "Steelers guys" which continues to demonstrate a high priority on maintaining the culture. I have to assume that they just didn't want Gilbert as a 3-4 end and I guess it makes sense because they don't run the Wade Phillips 3-4 - it's more important for our ends to be stout, and Hood is. He's extremely tough and loves the dirty work.I thought Urbik was the best guard in this draft. He's not going to be nimble in pass pro, but neither is Kemo or Stapleton. I like the pick because it signals to me that they are not going in any kind of ZBS direction, Urbik is a man blocker all the way, and he'll help a ton in short yardage.Wallace could be a major steal, he's one of the fastest WRs in the draft, and the change in his routes from Mon-Wed at the Senior Bowl was eye-opening. He told us that the coach there gave him some tips that helped him a ton, and you could tell. Lewis is a great bump and run corner, but he'll need help over the top. I'll just assume that they knew what they were doing when they picked him.Obviously I love the 5th round double dip of Draftguys TV players. Summers just drips with Steelers energy, and Burnett is a great nickel back - even if he isn't going to put on a show with speed and overall athleticism, he's going to be consistent and very focused.Harris is a grinder, good depth at DE, once again, theyre not looking for playmakers at DE, just hard working lunchpail guys.Shipley was my favorite pick of this class, he'll start in time, I feel certain.Of the UDFAs, I like Foster (at least as a UDFA) - he's massive and decently athletic, he just needs some work. He held everybody at the Shrine Game. Schantz is a re-do of the Humpal pick, he's another try hard guy, special teamer, who could end up being ILB depth in time. I will say I was really hoping for Frantz Joseph and Mitch King, but I can't complain.in 07 they took "their guys" and the draft ended up being solid despite people like me second-guessing themin 08 they take BPAs and swing for homers, and so far, ehhhhso Im fine with them going back to getting the guys that fit the system/culture and not trying for superstars - although I have to say Alphonso Smith would have made me thrilled at 32, and he seemed like a Steelers guy - I understand passing on Gilbert (twice) and Maualuga, because of the hustle/fit issue for Gilbert and character issue for Rey.
I'm basically on board with all of this. As you touched on, they took productive, "effort" guys and team leaders, with no character concerns at almost every pick. Those sorts of players typically will at least contribute something.When I look at the players they selected, I don't see a single one of them that I'm overly concerned about being a TOTAL loss.....except for maybe Wallace(and Harris to a limited degree, but he was a 6th rounder. Not as big of a deal). To me, Wallace is likely going to be the player that either makes this a "really good" draft or merely a "solid" one. If he can at least replicate Washington's role as the guy who runs fly patterns and bring a legit threat to KR then he'll have given them as much as I'm expecting. If he can do more than that, fantastic. I'm not saying I think he's got "bust" tattooed on his forehed or anything, just saying of the guys they drafted in the top 3 rounds, he's really the only one I have any questions about. Hood and Urbik weren't sexy picks, perse, but are pretty much "what you see if what you get" kind of players. Lewis should be a solid, if unspectacular, zone CB(who maybe they see as a FS?). I don't think they'll have a problem contributing at the pro level.

Looks like the rumor about releasing Larry Foote was true.

Steelers release Foote

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Rumors became reality Tuesday as the Pittsburgh Steelers released starting inside linebacker Larry Foote, a seven-year veteran.

It had been rumored for much of the offseason that Foote, made extraneous by the emergence of two-year veteran and former first-round pick Lawrence Timmons, would be either traded or released. It is believed the Steelers attempted to trade Foote during the NFL draft last weekend.

A seven-year veteran, Foote is still a productive defender at only 28 years old. But a combination of economics and the urgency to move Timmons into the starting lineup led to his release.

His resume includes 110 games, and 83 starts, including two Super Bowl victories. Foote has played in all 16 games for six straight seasons and started all 16 contests each of the past five years. The former University of Michigan standout is considered a strong player against the run but usually left the field in nickel situations.

The fact that Foote was scheduled to earn a base salary of $2.885 million in 2009, a steep price to pay for a player projected as a reserve, was certainly a factor in the decision to release him. Foote had a salary cap figure of $3.5 million for 2009. The Steelers will have his base salary of $2.885 million refunded into their '09 cap.

Pittsburgh is typically tight against the spending limit and can sorely use the funds provided by Foote's release. Last week the Steelers had to release tailback Gary Russell in order to have enough cap room to sign backup quarterback Charlie Batch.

Timmons was the team's first-round draft choice in 2007. He spent much of 2008 as the nickel linebacker and an occasional blitzer, two roles in which he excelled. It was generally considered that Timmons, who had 65 tackles and five sacks last season, was ready to break into the starting lineup.

In six seasons, Foote posted 431 tackles, 14½ sacks, three interceptions, 11 passes defensed, seven forced fumbles and four recoveries.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.
Link

Users who are viewing this thread