What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Super Bowl XLV Game Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Underachievers said:
timschochet said:
Packer fans- now that you have won a SB, and you have a great young QB that will keep you relevant for years to come...Isn't it time to forgive Brett Favre? In just a few years, he's going to be eligble for the Hall, and it would be terrible if there was still hostility toward him from Green Bay fans. Now that he's finally retired, why not honor him and treat him with the love he deserves as one of your franchise's greatest players ever?
It will be interesting to see if the anti-Brett crusaders pull a waffle and actually honor him. That would be pretty hypocritical of them.
It wouldn't be hypocritical at all. It would be a re-evaluation without the emotion. People tend to be more forgiving under such circumstances.
I don't see haters or crusaders-that puts al the blame on the fans and nothing on Favre-the liar. Forgiving him is one thing, hiring him is another(I heard they want to bring him in to represent the team).I supported him until he left the Jets. When he retired while sending his medical reports to the Vikings the next day did it for me. I wouldn't support this. One too many bridge was burned in my case.

I wish someone would do an offshoot of the Eminem Chrysler commercial for the Packers.

Driving by Lambeau, down Lombardi Ave and Holmgren Way...

And instead of the whole "motor city...its what we do" have Starr or someone with the Lombardis saying "welcome to Title town...its what we do" and show off the rings...kind of as a video for the day they get their rings.

I think Green Bay will be an even better team next season (whenever that is). A lot of these guys were learning on the fly.

Its Wisconsin...they don't get hungover...they just stay drunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re-watching the game last night, I was struck by how vicious and cheap Polomalu's hit on Jennings was (Jennings 2nd touchdown). He had no chance of stopping Jennings from scoring, as Jennings was already in the end zone when Polomalu hit him. Polomalu made no effort to tackle Jennings, just went with the straight helmet to helmet spear shot. He seems to have decided that, if he can't stop the touchdown, maybe he can at least knock Jennings out of the game with a concussion or broken jaw. Under the current regime, that's a big fine 10 times out of 10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxxTCwgL9Yg

Re-watching the game last night, I was struck by how vicious and cheap Polomalu's hit on Jennings was (Jennings 2nd touchdown). He had no chance of stopping Jennings from scoring, as Jennings was already in the end zone when Polomalu hit him. Polomalu made no effort to tackle Jennings, just went with the straight helmet to helmet spear shot. He seems to have decided that, if he can't stop the touchdown, maybe he can at least knock Jennings out of the game with a concussion or broken jaw. Under the current regime, that's a big fine 10 times out of 10.

That's what I thought during the game - although I don't think it was a classic "spear", more of a head butt

I don't see that at all.

I didn't see any helmet to helmet.Just a hard hit trying to knock the ball loose.
:unsure: It real time you could see Jennings had just barely crossed the line when he got smashed. Nothing dirty about it IMO, just a hard hit trying to jar the ball loose. :)

I just watched the slow mo replay of that hit 6 times and I have no clue what you're talking about. He didn't hit him with the helmet. He was trying to knock the ball out. Can't believe Jennings held onto that.

The most impressive thing to me about this Super Bowl was that there were so many serious injuries to both teams. So many starters missing so many games and how many times did the #3s come in, pick up the ball and run with it? Both clubs lost guys for the season that would have ruined lesser team's seasons. So many reasons to be optimistic for both of these teams for the foreseeable future.

The most impressive thing to me about this Super Bowl was that there were so many serious injuries to both teams. So many starters missing so many games and how many times did the #3s come in, pick up the ball and run with it? Both clubs lost guys for the season that would have ruined lesser team's seasons. So many reasons to be optimistic for both of these teams for the foreseeable future.
Agreed, it's pretty remarkable. I thought the Steelers O line held up well despite losing Pouncey.

Underachievers said:
It will be interesting to see if the anti-Brett crusaders pull a waffle and actually honor him. That would be pretty hypocritical of them.
Waffle? Now that is irony at its best. Most of the "anti" Brett crowd was just sick and tired of his waffling and jerking around the front office and fans. It's also pretty tough to "honor" him while he is playing for a hated rival. That's not being hypocritical at all. Most true Packer fans will honor him in due time. If he had won the Super Bowl last year, and the Packers hadn't gone on this glorious run this year, it could have been a much longer wait. However, since he broke Vikings fans hearts in the NFC Championship with a couple of picks and that dagger at the end (that Packer fans had unfortunately seen a few too many times before), I think the bad feelings will be gone much quicker.
He was called a traitor, Judas, Brent, egotistical jerk, etc. etc. He was booed on his first and last appearances at Lambeau. The mere mention of his name would bring out venom in some Packer fans. Yet you are ready to "forgive" HIM now? :confused: Yeah...I would call that a MAJOR waffle on some Packer fans part.

Underachievers said:
Waffle? Now that is irony at its best. Most of the "anti" Brett crowd was just sick and tired of his waffling and jerking around the front office and fans. It's also pretty tough to "honor" him while he is playing for a hated rival. That's not being hypocritical at all. Most true Packer fans will honor him in due time. If he had won the Super Bowl last year, and the Packers hadn't gone on this glorious run this year, it could have been a much longer wait. However, since he broke Vikings fans hearts in the NFC Championship with a couple of picks and that dagger at the end (that Packer fans had unfortunately seen a few too many times before), I think the bad feelings will be gone much quicker.
He was called a traitor, Judas, Brent, egotistical jerk, etc. etc. He was booed on his first and last appearances at Lambeau. The mere mention of his name would bring out venom in some Packer fans. Yet you are ready to "forgive" HIM now? :shrug: Yeah...I would call that a MAJOR waffle on some Packer fans part.
Nobody is ready to forgive anything NOW. Maybe in a few years.

I don't see that at all.
Seriously. Are you TRYING to start something. I watched the replay many times and I have yet to see an angle that shows he even made helmet to helmet contact. More of a push than anything.

Underachievers said:
He was called a traitor, Judas, Brent, egotistical jerk, etc. etc. He was booed on his first and last appearances at Lambeau. The mere mention of his name would bring out venom in some Packer fans. Yet you are ready to "forgive" HIM now? :rolleyes: Yeah...I would call that a MAJOR waffle on some Packer fans part.
I like to call him Brint

Cookiemonster said:
:shock: I can see a SB rematch in the very near future between these two teams.

Cookiemonster said:
:goodposting: I can see a SB rematch in the very near future between these two teams.
I'm not sure Pitt is going to come back. Super Bowl losers don't generally make the playoffs the next year.

I am reminded of the San Francisco 49ers who went 10-6 (they had some injury issues etc) but beat the Bengals to win the Super Bowl in 1989. They then went 14-2 I think the next year?

if i was a packers fan, i would be very optimistic about the future but with one caveat. green bay is a great team with aaron rodgers but probably not even a playoff team without him. his history of concussions just within the past year is a major concern. the Pack would do well to lean more heavily on the running game and to also beef up the defense against the run. other than those nits i just picked, they look every bit a scary team for the next 5 years.

On the Packers run D.

There are several factors playing into this.

For a nice chunk of games, they were without Cullen Jenkins. Even at that, when they set down to it, they did well in a few games stopping some solid running attacks (Jets and Falcons...though, the score helped slow that one down for sure).

Now, Jenkins may leave...Jolly may or may not be back...get Neal back though.

Also, the Packers are in a nickel look more than anything else (by a long shot). And in that, they often run a 2-4-5 scheme. They sacrifice a bit of the run D, in those looks but seem to tighten up in the redzone (as evidenced by only allowing 6 rushing TDs for the regular season which was 3rd best in the NFL).

They play that bend but don't break style as far as a run defense. Longest run against them all year was 40 yards.

Cookiemonster said:
:shrug: I can see a SB rematch in the very near future between these two teams.
I'm not sure Pitt is going to come back. Super Bowl losers don't generally make the playoffs the next year.
The last two did, and the Steelers are not a normal SB loser. I'd be shocked if they missed the playoffs next year.

if i was a packers fan, i would be very optimistic about the future but with one caveat. green bay is a great team with aaron rodgers but probably not even a playoff team without him. his history of concussions just within the past year is a major concern. the Pack would do well to lean more heavily on the running game and to also beef up the defense against the run. other than those nits i just picked, they look every bit a scary team for the next 5 years.
That's true but he won't be diving head first like he did before and has a more protective helmet. It is definitely a concern. I hope they give Flynn more play time this year just in case.When Grant comes back they'll have a 2 headed RBBC with or without Jackson. Finley's quick throws will help too. That guy's is as un-coverable as a player can be.

That's true but he won't be diving head first like he did before and has a more protective helmet. It is definitely a concern. I hope they give Flynn more play time this year just in case.When Grant comes back they'll have a 2 headed RBBC with or without Jackson. Finley's quick throws will help too. That guy's is as un-coverable as a player can be.
There are a lot of rumors running around down here about Flynn to Tennessee (Titans GM is one of Thompson's best friends too).Hoping none of its true...I like what I saw from Flynn as a capable backup for a few years.

Has a team ever run a gauntlet to win the Super Bowl like Green Bay did?

@ Philly - 10-6

@Atlanta - 13-3

@Chicago - 11-5

vs Pittsburgh - 12-4

Combined playoff opponent record was 46-18.

I'm sure this isn't a record, but it would be interesting if one of the stat guys around here came up with the actuals on this.

Has a team ever run a gauntlet to win the Super Bowl like Green Bay did? @ Philly - 10-6@Atlanta - 13-3@Chicago - 11-5vs Pittsburgh - 12-4Combined playoff opponent record was 46-18. I'm sure this isn't a record, but it would be interesting if one of the stat guys around here came up with the actuals on this.
2005 Steelers postseason opponents combined reg season record was 51-13cincy 11-5Indy 14-2Denver 13-3Seattle 13-3

Has a team ever run a gauntlet to win the Super Bowl like Green Bay did? @ Philly - 10-6@Atlanta - 13-3@Chicago - 11-5vs Pittsburgh - 12-4Combined playoff opponent record was 46-18. I'm sure this isn't a record, but it would be interesting if one of the stat guys around here came up with the actuals on this.
2007 Giants@ Tampa - 9-7@ Dallas - 13-3@ Green Bay - 13-3vs New England - 16-0Combined playoff opponent record was 51-13

2007 Giants@ Tampa - 9-7@ Dallas - 13-3@ Green Bay - 13-3vs New England - 16-0Combined playoff opponent record was 51-13
All 3 were #6 seeds weren't they?

I figured they might be one, just from the Brett era Packers and Pats.

2005 Steelers postseason opponents combined reg season record was 51-13cincy 11-5Indy 14-2Denver 13-3Seattle 13-3
I know this Steeler team will never get the recognition it deserves because of the Super Bowl, but these defensive stats are pretty impressive. The Steelers played some of the best offenses in the league that year and held them all to at least a TD below their Points/Game average.The columns are Team, Playoff Seed, Points / Game Rank, Points / Game, Points Allowed by the Steelers, Yards / Game Rank
Code:
Cincy	  3	4   26.6	17	6Indy	   1	2   27.4	18	3Denver	 2	7   24.7	17	5Seattle	1	1   28.2	10	2

:shrug:Giants weren't a #6 seed. PIT was the first #6 to win it all, and GB became the first from the NFC to win it all. Giants must have been a #5.

bryhamm said:
:shock:Giants weren't a #6 seed. PIT was the first #6 to win it all, and GB became the first from the NFC to win it all. Giants must have been a #5.
Giants were a #5 but I think became the 2nd team ever, after Pittsburgh, to win 3 road playoff games.

After watching a lot of this game, Big Ben is right that he let his team down. I mean he made some horrible decisions with the ball. He had Wallace wide open for one score. Miller was wide open on the Bush pick. Did he just have a bad day, or is he just overrated? He sure hasn't done well in Super Bowls even though he's won two of them. Is he any better than a guy like Cutler or Hass?

After watching a lot of this game, Big Ben is right that he let his team down. I mean he made some horrible decisions with the ball. He had Wallace wide open for one score. Miller was wide open on the Bush pick. Did he just have a bad day, or is he just overrated? He sure hasn't done well in Super Bowls even though he's won two of them. Is he any better than a guy like Cutler or Hass?
Give your shtick a break, man.

He did miss several throws in the first half. He came close to coming back later but I really expected more from him.It seemed the Packers prepared a lot better than the whole Steelers team though so it was hardly just on Ben.

He did miss several throws in the first half. He came close to coming back later but I really expected more from him.It seemed the Packers prepared a lot better than the whole Steelers team though so it was hardly just on Ben.
That miss of Wallace deep was terrible. He had no pressure on him at all. That throw that Bush picked was into double coverage. Nobody was on Miller at the snap nor at any time during the play.

Missing Wallace on that deep throw was bad (and would have given them a 24-21 lead with the XP), but asking whether or not he is better than Cutler or Hasselbeck is just a really bad fishing trip.

Missing Wallace on that deep throw was bad (and would have given them a 24-21 lead with the XP), but asking whether or not he is better than Cutler or Hasselbeck is just a really bad fishing trip.
Maybe Hass is a stretch, but I don't see much seperating Cutler and Ben. I'm wondering if Ben maybe struggled with his knee after he tweaked it early on. He looked completely outclassed in the Super Bowl.

According to the seeding of Steelers opponents, Steelers had the easiest playoff schedule of any SB team in history...

Ravens 5th seed

Jets 6th seed

Packers 6th seed

According to the seeding of Steelers opponents, Steelers had the easiest playoff schedule of any SB team in history...Ravens 5th seedJets 6th seedPackers 6th seed
Yes but judging teams by their playoff seeding is not always indicative of their quality.
It's based on W/L record isn't it? When we brag about our playoff record, that's a W/L record as well isn't it?
Seattle was a #4 seed.Were they stronger than GB or Baltimore or the Jets (and yes, I realize the latter 2 were in the AFC)...were they better than those seeded below them?

According to the seeding of Steelers opponents, Steelers had the easiest playoff schedule of any SB team in history...Ravens 5th seedJets 6th seedPackers 6th seed
Yes but judging teams by their playoff seeding is not always indicative of their quality.
Along these lines, I hate when anyone suggests that a team like this year's Packers is among the most impressive Super Bowl winning teams ever (just an example) because their postseason schedule was so tough. Um, it was so tough because they were only a wild card team. You can't say they are a more impressive champion than a great team that had a great regular season, which enabled them to have an easier postseason schedule (because they had a bye and possibly two home games against lower seeds, as opposed to three road games vs all of the high seeds), and then went on to win it all. A great regular season has to count for something.Let me put it this way:Team A goes 14-2 and then wins the Super Bowl by beating a 4 seed and both 2 seeds.Team B goes 10-6 and then wins the Super Bowl by beating the 1, 2 and 3 seeds in their conference and then the 2 seed in the SB.Which team was better? Team A, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Hass is a stretch, but I don't see much seperating Cutler and Ben. I'm wondering if Ben maybe struggled with his knee after he tweaked it early on. He looked completely outclassed in the Super Bowl.
As bad as Ben played, I still think he did better than what Cutler had been doing until he got hurt. Cutler looked like a complete mess. Ben missed some key throws (miss to Wallace, overthrowing Miller, the entire final drive and interception # 2) but he didn't look awful for the entire game. Cutler looked awful for the entire time that he was in the game.

I found my 5th re-watching of the game last night very enjoyable - not as good as the first or second, but probably better than the 4th. I'm expecting to get in my 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th re-watchings this weekend, and am very excited looking forward to next week, when I will get into double digits. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress. Perhaps a poll is in order - Which number of Superbowl re-watchings is the ideal amount?

I found my 5th re-watching of the game last night very enjoyable - not as good as the first or second, but probably better than the 4th. I'm expecting to get in my 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th re-watchings this weekend, and am very excited looking forward to next week, when I will get into double digits. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress. Perhaps a poll is in order - Which number of Superbowl re-watchings is the ideal amount?
I think it depends on if you have a way to get it off your DVR and archive permanently (Say on DVD/Blu-ray or backed up on a computer hard drive). If not, then you keep watching the damn thing until you've got it memorized. I am able to save recordings long-term so I am pacing myself.

Users who are viewing this thread