What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Texas Rangers 2010 Thread*** (1 Viewer)

This is truly the greatest sports feeling I have ever felt, even 24 hours later.

I had to be up early this morning and actually found a post-game show that was on until 5 am. Amazing feeling in this town right now. Will have a ton more to say once I get some sleep and come down off cloud nine.

I don't follow NL baseball at all. I just find pitchers batting and the resulting substitution-orama super gay.

I tried my best to name any Giants players at all yesterday, and could only name two. Linceum and their ridiculous beard closer guy, and I didn't really know his name, but could at least ID him as a Giant.

Am I alone in my ignorance here? Who the hell are these guys?

I don't follow NL baseball at all. I just find pitchers batting and the resulting substitution-orama super gay.I tried my best to name any Giants players at all yesterday, and could only name two. Linceum and their ridiculous beard closer guy, and I didn't really know his name, but could at least ID him as a Giant.Am I alone in my ignorance here? Who the hell are these guys?
:thumbdown:

I imagine Davis has played his last game in the Majors. He might bounce around in AAA a little bit and the Rangers might let him get in spring training somewhere, but I think the final chapter has been written here.He did have an exciting 6 weeks or so.
Has Moreland done enough to be the everyday 1B next year? I don't get why this isn't already etched in stone.

Also didn't San Fran give us Molina for Sweet Baby Ray who we got in the Millwood dump? Do they want a do over on that?

Also didn't San Fran give us Molina for Sweet Baby Ray who we got in the Millwood dump? Do they want a do over on that?
Nah, the Giants were happy to dump a half season of Bengie at $4.5M/yr. There's a kid named Buster Posey that made Molina expendable. You'll see and hear a lot about Posey over the next two weeks. A local comparison would be if a young catcher combined all the hype about Teagarden, Saltalamacchia and Max Ramirez and then lived up to it.

Nah, the Giants were happy to dump a half season of Bengie at $4.5M/yr. There's a kid named Buster Posey that made Molina expendable. You'll see and hear a lot about Posey over the next two weeks. A local comparison would be if a young catcher combined all the hype about Teagarden, Saltalamacchia and Max Ramirez and then lived up to it.
I believe the deal was budget neutral, or close to it bringing about 1.5M from the Giants to offset the salary difference between Ray and Molina for the current year.

culdeus said:
Eephus said:
culdeus said:
I believe the deal was budget neutral, or close to it bringing about 1.5M from the Giants to offset the salary difference between Ray and Molina for the current year.
Fair enough. I'm honestly happy to see Bengie land on his big slow feet with the Rangers. He was always a fun player to watch and root for. It wasn't his fault that the Giants offense miscast him as a middle of the order bat. It's very cool that Molina will get a World Series ring no matter who wins the series.

Still think this should easily bust the record for worst series ratings ever.

NEW YORK (AP)—Ratings for the American League championship series are up 34 percent over last year.

TBS said Saturday that the series between the Texas Rangers and New York Yankees averaged a 5.1 rating on the network, which also saw its audience jump 36 percent over 2009 to 8,223,000 viewers.

The Rangers’ pennant clinching victory in Game 6 Friday night was the most watched game this year and the second-most watched in the network’s 34-year history.

The broadcast earned a 7.2 rating and drew 11.9 million viewers. For TBS, that trails only Game 7 of the 2008 ALCS between the Boston Red Sox and Tampa Bay Rays, which had a 7.9 rating and 13.4 million viewers.

Texas’ win also captured strong ratings in the teams’ respective markets, with an 18.4 mark in New York and 28.5 in Dallas-Fort Worth.

I just bought four tickets to game 5 of the freaking World Series. :o :scared:
Looking at stub hub ($350 for standing room??) I'm really glad I bought four instead of just two. Pretty sure I'll just take my son and sell the other two tickets. :wall:
I'd do the same thing, but I really doubt people are getting that. Most people just put insane prices on SH and drop as games approach. I mean there are lower singles going for 4 grand. I should mention Monday is the only game I could actually make :goodposting:

I just bought four tickets to game 5 of the freaking World Series. :o :scared:
Looking at stub hub ($350 for standing room??) I'm really glad I bought four instead of just two. Pretty sure I'll just take my son and sell the other two tickets. :rolleyes:
I'd do the same thing, but I really doubt people are getting that. Most people just put insane prices on SH and drop as games approach. I mean there are lower singles going for 4 grand. I should mention Monday is the only game I could actually make :rant:
Monday sounds great. :banned:

Things I'm learning about the NL

1) They have a ####### division with 6 teams in it. WTF? So I'm forced to come in tired and hungover on these regular season extended west coast road trips for what reason exactly? Seriously, what the ####?

2) This whole deal with Texas being all shellshocked with pitching looks iffy. I mean of the top 10 teams pitching NL had like 8 of them. Only thing that worries me here is the difficulty this thing had with Oakland. Oakland's stats line up fairly comparably with SF to some extent. I mean what do you discount stuff like team ERA/AVG etc. having to only face 8 batters a side? Is 11% fair? What was NL ERA vs AL in IL play this year?

3) So the other night the giants swapped people around to move the pitcher to 5th in the batting order. How does that exactly work? Are we sure Ron knows how to do this stuff?

Having Molina on the roster seems like a bonus. He knows all these pitchers right? Did they add anyone that he doesn't know?

I don't know anything about the abomination that is AL baseball but I'll answer what I can...

culdeus said:
Things I'm learning about the NL

1) They have a ####### division with 6 teams in it. WTF? So I'm forced to come in tired and hungover on these regular season extended west coast road trips for what reason exactly? Seriously, what the ####?

Alright yeah, that's a little weird. It should be addressed.

2) This whole deal with Texas being all shellshocked with pitching looks iffy. I mean of the top 10 teams pitching NL had like 8 of them. Only thing that worries me here is the difficulty this thing had with Oakland. Oakland's stats line up fairly comparably with SF to some extent. I mean what do you discount stuff like team ERA/AVG etc. having to only face 8 batters a side? Is 11% fair? What was NL ERA vs AL in IL play this year?

No idea how to account for the DH stat-wise

3) So the other night the giants swapped people around to move the pitcher to 5th in the batting order. How does that exactly work? Are we sure Ron knows how to do this stuff?

The double switch.

Having Molina on the roster seems like a bonus. He knows all these pitchers right? Did they add anyone that he doesn't know?

He knows everybody, but Madison Bumgarner. I wouldn't count on that too much though. Knowing their stuff and hitting it are two different things.

The Rangers have in their 2010 season summary guide a list of the Rangers' board members and ownership group. The Rangers have 18 ownership partners, who have their own partners. Of note are Bob Beaudine, the self-help guru and search firm owner who was appointed to the board but isn't an owner; Billy Quinn, who has been linked to a group trying to by the Stars; Greenberg attorney Tom Lauria; and William E. Kassling, a Texas native who is also a minority owner and board member of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Board members: Ray Davis and Bob Simpson , co-chairmen; Robert E. Beaudine; Brent W. Clum; Chuck Greenberg; Kenneth A. Harsh; Keith Hutton; Robert A. Innamorati; William E. Kassling; Neil Leibman; Nolan Ryan; David Simpson; Ted C. Skokos; and Dave Wood.

Ownership

All-American Pastime LLC: Ray Davis.

BOW Investors LLC: William E. Kassling; Bill Allen; Robert J. Brooks; Holman Harvey; Tom Lauria; Nickolas Vande Steeg.

Hardball Express LLC: Bob R. and Janice Simpson; Keith A. Hutton; David Simpson.

Rangers Baseball Partners LLC: Ted C. Skokos, Robert E. Hemreich, Donald J. Shepard.

Texas Sports Acquisition Group: Neil Leibman, Andy Bursten, John Havens, Glenn Picquet, Jim Waller.

Brent W. Clum, Toby Darden, Chuck Greenberg, Kenneth A. Hersh, Robert A. Innamorati, Allan B. Polunsky, Charley Pride, Billy Quinn, Nolan Ryan, Jim L. Turner, Vaughn O. Vennerberg II, David Wood, James R. Young.
Just re-found this again. The ownership group is announced formally here. From what I know the leading group is the Hardball Express LLC led by the family that stood to benefit the most in the XTO buyout by Exxon. He has more money than god and is really going to be the deciding factor in the offseason signings.

The Rangers have in their 2010 season summary guide a list of the Rangers' board members and ownership group. The Rangers have 18 ownership partners, who have their own partners. Of note are Bob Beaudine, the self-help guru and search firm owner who was appointed to the board but isn't an owner; Billy Quinn, who has been linked to a group trying to by the Stars; Greenberg attorney Tom Lauria; and William E. Kassling, a Texas native who is also a minority owner and board member of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Board members: Ray Davis and Bob Simpson , co-chairmen; Robert E. Beaudine; Brent W. Clum; Chuck Greenberg; Kenneth A. Harsh; Keith Hutton; Robert A. Innamorati; William E. Kassling; Neil Leibman; Nolan Ryan; David Simpson; Ted C. Skokos; and Dave Wood.

Ownership

All-American Pastime LLC: Ray Davis.

BOW Investors LLC: William E. Kassling; Bill Allen; Robert J. Brooks; Holman Harvey; Tom Lauria; Nickolas Vande Steeg.

Hardball Express LLC: Bob R. and Janice Simpson; Keith A. Hutton; David Simpson.

Rangers Baseball Partners LLC: Ted C. Skokos, Robert E. Hemreich, Donald J. Shepard.

Texas Sports Acquisition Group: Neil Leibman, Andy Bursten, John Havens, Glenn Picquet, Jim Waller.

Brent W. Clum, Toby Darden, Chuck Greenberg, Kenneth A. Hersh, Robert A. Innamorati, Allan B. Polunsky, Charley Pride, Billy Quinn, Nolan Ryan, Jim L. Turner, Vaughn O. Vennerberg II, David Wood, James R. Young.
Just re-found this again. The ownership group is announced formally here. From what I know the leading group is the Hardball Express LLC led by the family that stood to benefit the most in the XTO buyout by Exxon. He has more money than god and is really going to be the deciding factor in the offseason signings.
I searched twice to make sure Tom Hicks wasn't on the list somewher

Just talked to a guy at work who had no idea the Rangers were in the World Series. How is that even possible?

His sports contribution was "so I guess they beat the Yankees?"

What kind of man are you?!?! :thumbup:

This is really about to happen.

Just talked to a guy at work who had no idea the Rangers were in the World Series. How is that even possible?His sports contribution was "so I guess they beat the Yankees?"What kind of man are you?!?! :goodposting:
That's not even a man thing but a human one. You have to be avoiding all sources of communiction not know living in this area.

Ranger mania was running strong in Uptown last night. Bars were packed on a Wednesday night.

Did anyone flip over to the Mavs game? How was that crowd? People at work can't give away their Stars tickets for tonight.

Just talked to a guy at work who had no idea the Rangers were in the World Series. How is that even possible?His sports contribution was "so I guess they beat the Yankees?"What kind of man are you?!?! :suds:
We had a guy at our home card game that thought Tom Brady was a baseball player. This was in the playoffs of their undefeated season. He is a little on the feminine side, but has 5 kids (all girls). Go figure.

Not in panic mode yet.

This is how it has to happen. This movie "2010 Texas Rangers: " can not end with an easy World Series. It does not go with the rest of the script.

For the record, I don't have the script done yet, but it does have the following:

-Opening scene is a dark, wet room in NOLA where a shaky Ron Washington does lines of coke off a piece of driftwood

-a Josh Hamilton flashback/dream sequence that culminates with his tattoos coming to life and talking to him

-an Elvis Andrus montage, showing incredible plays during Spring Training, with a surly Mike Young in the background. The montage ends with Young walking over to 3B while giving Tiny E a knowing nod and grin.

-an over the top courtroom scene where the cattle auction takes place for the team. Mark Cuban will be played by Richard Kind. Chuck Greenberg will be played by Mark Cuban.

-Real footage of the ALCS win over the Yankees with "You're The Best" playing over the top

-An Oscar worthy scene with CJ Wilson going up to the OSB and claiming "I WILL be a starter for this team." And then he races off in his race car. "No Easy Way Out" may or may not be playing

This movie can only end with an exciting to improbable comeback, or a Rocky type almost but not quite finish.

It's Time. claw. antlers.

Not in panic mode yet.This is how it has to happen. This movie "2010 Texas Rangers: " can not end with an easy World Series. It does not go with the rest of the script.For the record, I don't have the script done yet, but it does have the following:-Opening scene is a dark, wet room in NOLA where a shaky Ron Washington does lines of coke off a piece of driftwood-a Josh Hamilton flashback/dream sequence that culminates with his tattoos coming to life and talking to him-an Elvis Andrus montage, showing incredible plays during Spring Training, with a surly Mike Young in the background. The montage ends with Young walking over to 3B while giving Tiny E a knowing nod and grin.-an over the top courtroom scene where the cattle auction takes place for the team. Mark Cuban will be played by Richard Kind. Chuck Greenberg will be played by Mark Cuban.-Real footage of the ALCS win over the Yankees with "You're The Best" playing over the top-An Oscar worthy scene with CJ Wilson going up to the OSB and claiming "I WILL be a starter for this team." And then he races off in his race car. "No Easy Way Out" may or may not be playingThis movie can only end with an exciting to improbable comeback, or a Rocky type almost but not quite finish.It's Time. claw. antlers.
:thumbup: I like it. One suggestion: needs more snow monkeys.

Of course you want to be in a better situation, BUT if you have to win 3 in a row, starting with Lee at home is a good way to get it started. Somehow get past tonight, things get interesting.

Of course you want to be in a better situation, BUT if you have to win 3 in a row, starting with Lee at home is a good way to get it started. Somehow get past tonight, things get interesting.
I guess. It's pretty hard to win baseball games scoring 0 runs.

A buddy pointed out Grubes at the bar Saturday night. I think he was dressed as Zach Galifianakis.Last night took some of the wind out of the sails, but I'm still looking forward to seeing tonight's game in person. Hopefully the home team can score a few runs.

One hell of a season.

Being invested in the last game of the season still feels surreal.

Going into a sports coma for about a month. Will come out around Bowl season.

Nice job Texas, hopefully you brought baseball fever to DFW that will last awhile. Good luck on keeping Lee, no reason to think he won't seriously consider returning.

See you all around next year.

We need to get the core group of guys on this thread to a game together next year.

Two year extension for the old school brother. :shrug:
Glad to see it. Wash is a quality baseball man.
:mellow: This was a no-brainer. OSB probably passed the late Johnny Oates as the greatest manager in Rangers history, and the most beloved.I am wearing a shirt today with OSB's face on the front and a list of his best sayings on the back. I never did that for Oates, Bobby V or Ted Williams.

So what moves are we looking to make this off season? Obviously Lee, but what's the backup plan if we don't get him? I've read we might make a move for James Shields or Matt Garza... I don't like either of those.

I'd really like to see us re-sign Cantu instead of Vlad. He's only 28 and might be able to platoon 3rd base with Young and share DH duties. I think if we make him an everyday player he will come through with his bat. Plus I just can't handle watching Young at 3rd much more. Give Cantu a couple years while Olt is moving up.

Catcher: John Buck? Pierzenski might be available too. I just hate to go into season with Treanor and Teagarden.

So what moves are we looking to make this off season? Obviously Lee, but what's the backup plan if we don't get him? I've read we might make a move for James Shields or Matt Garza... I don't like either of those. I'd really like to see us re-sign Cantu instead of Vlad. He's only 28 and might be able to platoon 3rd base with Young and share DH duties. I think if we make him an everyday player he will come through with his bat. Plus I just can't handle watching Young at 3rd much more. Give Cantu a couple years while Olt is moving up. Catcher: John Buck? Pierzenski might be available too. I just hate to go into season with Treanor and Teagarden.
That all sounds pretty good. Pierzynski has always seemed like an ### though. Losing Vlad and adding him could mess with the clubhouse.What about the "trade for Greinke" idea if Lee leaves? He has no big game experience... but he's pretty damn good, only 27, and has two years (at 13.5) left on his contract.

Rumor that they are going to try Davis out at catcher this winter. Hmmmm. Interesting. I'm still hoping for Buck.

Is this the part where we pretend like we've been here before?
Nah. This is the part where we run around like goofy bastards without our pants on and relish the moment.
:shrug: This may be the greatest night of my life.A sack of Torchy's Tacos, a Real Ale Sampler 6 pack and a 4 hour masterpiece on TBS, muted.Listening to WFAN now to hear the suicidal callers.claw. antlers.
Update

Is this the part where we pretend like we've been here before?
Nah. This is the part where we run around like goofy bastards without our pants on and relish the moment.
:shrug: This may be the greatest night of my life.A sack of Torchy's Tacos, a Real Ale Sampler 6 pack and a 4 hour masterpiece on TBS, muted.Listening to WFAN now to hear the suicidal callers.claw. antlers.
Update
Still just a blur of emotions. This team was my first sports love at five years old. yadda yadda yadda, Arlington Stadium and metal bleachers, Dr Pepper Junior Rangers.

I screamed at the TV as loud as I ever have when Thomas missed the ball. Was silent at the final pitch, and called my Dad and sports cried.

Users who are viewing this thread