What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Thread: Things you thought weren't racist, but are (1 Viewer)

A 70% loss in residential real estate is really, really rare, though.  Just on it's face I'm left thinking of what was wrong with the property - was it on a sinkhole?  Filled with black mold?  Demolished to the studs and sold as is?

Something is just off with that depreciation.  Even though 2014 was a soft spot for housing prices from 2004-2014 the average was a 15% drop.
These kinds of things usually have a sliver of truth to them so maybe an uscrupulous cash out refi in 2007? 

You guys are easily upset. Some fresh air and a break from social media might be a good idea.

Breath in... and breath out.
This is discriminatory language for the lung capacity challenged.  

Cancel mode engaged!

I learned in the voter suppression thread that IDs are racist and a lot of African Americans don’t have them which as an assumption, seems pretty racist to me.
https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.7758/rsf.2021.7.1.08

"Legacies of Segregation and Disenfranchisement: The Road from Plessy to Frank and Voter ID Laws in the United States"

The above was an excellent recently released read. If you would read anything from the article it should be:

"In their operation, voter ID laws are effective holdovers from the Jim Crow era in their capacity to circumscribe political access, particularly for Black and Latino voters. Because of the burdens associated with costs prohibiting would-be voters, voter ID laws operate as modern-day poll taxes. Although current registered voters with IDs are not affected, voter ID laws include remnants of grandfather clauses of the Reconstruction and Jim Crow eras. Also, given that many of those affected by voter ID laws are urban Blacks and Latinos, the laws have equipped Republican legislatures with another weapon to weaken Democrat-leaning voters. These urban geographies have long been sorted along racial and political lines. Separating the two is almost impossible."

Are photo IDs racist? Probably not.

Do photo IDs exist and are perpetuated under a system that intends on preventing people from voting and strengthening the majority hold on political power? Yes.

apparently, not voting Democrat.

eventually, disagreeing on just about anything, with a Democrat, minority, or sanctimonious, self-deprecating white person.

Last edited by a moderator:
If these measures are to keep blacks down, who exactly is voting  for mayor and governor?  Most every major city has been a democratic stronghold for years. 

zazale said:
https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.7758/rsf.2021.7.1.08

"Legacies of Segregation and Disenfranchisement: The Road from Plessy to Frank and Voter ID Laws in the United States"

The above was an excellent recently released read. If you would read anything from the article it should be:

"In their operation, voter ID laws are effective holdovers from the Jim Crow era in their capacity to circumscribe political access, particularly for Black and Latino voters. Because of the burdens associated with costs prohibiting would-be voters, voter ID laws operate as modern-day poll taxes. Although current registered voters with IDs are not affected, voter ID laws include remnants of grandfather clauses of the Reconstruction and Jim Crow eras. Also, given that many of those affected by voter ID laws are urban Blacks and Latinos, the laws have equipped Republican legislatures with another weapon to weaken Democrat-leaning voters. These urban geographies have long been sorted along racial and political lines. Separating the two is almost impossible."

Are photo IDs racist? Probably not.

Do photo IDs exist and are perpetuated under a system that intends on preventing people from voting and strengthening the majority hold on political power? Yes.
What costs?  They are free in most states?  Such hyperbole bs.  

It wasn’t racist, but poorly worded.  I’m all for ####ting all over China, but the other examples like Rubios tweet were better written.

Self identify as Chinese (we have many Americans of Chinese descent) is different than hitting on China (the country).

I am fairly certain huckabee was using Chinese and China interchangeable but should have been said better imo 
And the whole using "self identify as" was pretty stupid as well.  So he is throwing crap at both China and those in the LGBTQ (and all the other letters) community.

Does he have a point in there...maybe, but this whole back and forth between politicians and political pundits is somewhat humorous at times to me as they talk past each other.

I learned in the voter suppression thread that IDs are racist and a lot of African Americans don’t have them which as an assumption, seems pretty racist to me.
You learned that there...can you then link to a post calling IDs racist please?  I may have missed one...but not sure if anyone has called IDs racist on their own.

What costs?  They are free in most states?  Such hyperbole bs.  
This claim is untrue.

http://sharedprosperityphila.org/documents/Revised-ID-Waiver-Appendices-5.15.15.pdf

This report from 2015 states that the cost to obtain a photo ID by state is mean $17.50 and median $16. I looked up a few that were <$10 and some were still under $10 -- but not free -- and some were over $10. This does not take into account the part which you bolded in quoting the article which said "the costs associated with voter ID laws". From obtaining transportation to getting the documents required to get an ID (birth certificate, utility bills, etc...), we can suggest that voter ID laws exist under a system designed by lawmakers to minimize ethnic minority voting.

This claim is untrue.

http://sharedprosperityphila.org/documents/Revised-ID-Waiver-Appendices-5.15.15.pdf

This report from 2015 states that the cost to obtain a photo ID by state is mean $17.50 and median $16. I looked up a few that were <$10 and some were still under $10 -- but not free -- and some were over $10. This does not take into account the part which you bolded in quoting the article which said "the costs associated with voter ID laws". From obtaining transportation to getting the documents required to get an ID (birth certificate, utility bills, etc...), we can suggest that voter ID laws exist under a system designed by lawmakers to minimize ethnic minority voting.
When you bring the cost of transportation to go get an ID into the mix it has crossed into absurdity.

It costs money to transport yourself to vote too. Does that mean we have poll taxes? 

When you bring the cost of transportation to go get an ID into the mix it has crossed into absurdity.

It costs money to transport yourself to vote too. Does that mean we have poll taxes? 
In a sense, yes.  These little hurdles (transportation, small fees, required documentation, long waits to be issued ID) add up, and are designed to discourage poor people, who often don't have cars and don't have state-issued ID, from voting.  Take away mail in and absentee voting and it gets harder.  Purge voter rolls to require these people to go through the process anew and it gets harder.   Eliminate precincts and voting stations, leading to longer wait times, and it gets harder still.  It's all part of the Republican strategy to disenfranchise, and it seems reasonable to many with the means to own a car(s), because to them, licensing/ID is a necessity.  To many others - often people of color in urban areas - it is not.  

In a sense, yes.  These little hurdles (transportation, small fees, required documentation, long waits to be issued ID) add up, and are designed to discourage poor people, who often don't have cars and don't have state-issued ID, from voting.  Take away mail in and absentee voting and it gets harder.  Purge voter rolls to require these people to go through the process anew and it gets harder.   Eliminate precincts and voting stations, leading to longer wait times, and it gets harder still.  It's all part of the Republican strategy to disenfranchise, and it seems reasonable to many with the means to own a car(s), because to them, licensing/ID is a necessity.  To many others - often people of color in urban areas - it is not.  
Other than all the parts that are not correct, this makes sense.

Ga has no excuse mail in

Ga accepts nearly anything with your name as identification 

Ga law did not decrease polling stations, it does the opposite

And lastly you are confusing “designed to stop people from voting” like a fee to get a drivers license with “may have the unintended consequence of making it harder to vote if ga in theory only accepted a drivers license...which they don’t”

Yes, absolutely! You (and I) live in a system where it became societally acceptable to require photo identification as a means to vote. Again, accounting for all the associated costs with travelling to polling places, waiting in long lines, obtaining government documents, we have stratified the population to the point where groups of people have become incredibly marginalized from participating in the political process by voting. 

And lastly you are confusing “designed to stop people from voting” like a fee to get a drivers license with “may have the unintended consequence of making it harder to vote if ga in theory only accepted a drivers license...which they don’t”
I hate to break it to you....

Yes, absolutely! You (and I) live in a system where it became societally acceptable to require photo identification as a means to vote. Again, accounting for all the associated costs with travelling to polling places, waiting in long lines, obtaining government documents, we have stratified the population to the point where groups of people have become incredibly marginalized from participating in the political process by voting. 
This is nonsense. You have always had to travel to voting places. That's kind of part of the deal. 

Disagreeing with liberals and leftists.  Most racist thing you can do.
truth

"white" is a global minority 

"white" is a North American continent minority

Six states are majority-minority excluding Hispanic Whites as of July 2019: Hawaii (the only state that has never had a non-Hispanic white majority), New Mexico, California, Texas, Nevada,[4][5][6] and Maryland.[7] Only one state is majority non-white: Hawaii.

many cities are minority "white"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._communities_with_African-American_majority_populations

when people talk about minority ... they only want to talk about one segment and that is the entire US population which is majority whites

by the way, will be minority in 25-30 short years

https://www.chicagoreporter.com/the-us-white-majority-will-soon-disappear-forever/

At least in Alabama, you know, the racist bastion of the US, you can call the state voter registration bureau and they will send a van out to you, anywhere you are in the state, to get you a free state issued ID.  

I'm sure someone can find something racist in that...

At least in Alabama, you know, the racist bastion of the US, you can call the state voter registration bureau and they will send a van out to you, anywhere you are in the state, to get you a free state issued ID.  

Yes but do they carry you to the van? 

That's awesome! I'd love to hear more stuff like this. 

From the website: "* The Secretary of State’s office has entered an agreement with the Alabama Department of Public Health whereby a free birth or marriage certificate will be provided to the processing or issuing agent when a voter needs one of these documents in order to obtain a free Alabama photo voter ID card."

Hooray!

That's awesome! I'd love to hear more stuff like this. 

From the website: "* The Secretary of State’s office has entered an agreement with the Alabama Department of Public Health whereby a free birth or marriage certificate will be provided to the processing or issuing agent when a voter needs one of these documents in order to obtain a free Alabama photo voter ID card."

Hooray!
This was part of Alabama's voter ID law, which was pilloried in the MSM over access issues.  They conveniently left this part out.  Require ID and foot the bill to make it super easy to get said ID.

Bet it's a white van. 

Think we need to cancel every sitcom that ever existed as they all invariable are rife with stereo-types.
I think we should just cancel everyone because we're all racist anyways.  Even if you don't think you are racist - you're really a racist.

There are people who see racism everywhere. It's good to push back and it's fun to mock them. But sometimes they're right.
I don't watch the Simpsons, but I can imagine what some Indian stereo-types would be.  Stereotypes seem to be sort of a basis for a lot of relatively benign comedy in the world.  Is comedy dead.  The comedic stereo-type of black guys having big ##### or an Indians accent...if you are amused at that humor does that make you a racist? 

Is this why all the jokes are about white men now?

Hey...I think I just discovered what is not racist!!!   /thread

There's not a "Things you thought were racist but apparently are not" thread so I'll leave this one here.

Uncle Tim

That this racist term trended during Sen. Tim Scott's speech is as revealing as it is repugnant, as is the large-scale liberal silence that Twitter promoted a racist attack. A world in which people of color are forced by racist insults to subscribe to one ideology is grotesque.

There's not a "Things you thought were racist but apparently are not" thread so I'll leave this one here.

Uncle Tim
Another disgusting attack by the tolerant, accepting, welcoming party of progressives and liberals. Yet all we hear is how racist the right is. I guess white nationalism is alive and well with the Left. What a disgusting display. Shame.

And no MSM calling out the racist language used by liberals. No MSM coming to Scott's defense. Absolutely a double standard and another gross display of bias in the media.

Got chewed out on the phone yesterday after telling a prospective client that I couldn’t find a life insurance carrier willing to offer him coverage because he is a felon who killed someone with a gun (supposedly self-defense, but served 9 years). He went on and on about how it’s just another example of blatant racism that a black man can’t get life insurance.

Didnt think this was a new thread worthy, so i bumped this one.

I posted this in a Disney FB Group (one that shares memes and bad humor, not a typical mom's Disney group). We were talking about Club 33 which is an ultra exclusive restaurant in Disneyland with a very hefty membership cost and long waiting list.  

A client of mine is a member. We were at lunch one day at Tokyo dining and when she went to pay, the Club 33 membership card was visible in her wallet. I swear, the servers eyes went from Japanese to American in about 2.5 seconds. She was literally stammering over her words asking “is….is….is that a…a….club…” it was like she just saw what was inside the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. My client just smiled and politely said, “yes it is”. It was very funny to see.
Then, I got this reply:

Maybe try saying “The servers eyes got real wide” instead of the racist comment “eyes went from Japanese to American”

:confused:   I honestly didn't think or intend to write anything truly racist. So I replied with this: 

Please don’t take this as argumentative, but nothing I posted or worded is racist. My server was Japanese. Japanese people have very distinctive features esp in their eyes being very thin normally. Acknowledging such is not raciest. Yes, I was inferring that her eyes got wide, by trying to be mildly funny and using an exaggeration in highlighting the differences in our faces.

But even my analogy of “became American” can’t even be racist bc “American" is not a race.

Now if I had posted something rude like “her eyes went from jappy *** to…” the yes, I could see your point. But it purposefully didn’t. I used her actual ethnicity without any negative stereotypes or assumptions. Simply that her ethnicity has, as I said, very distinct facial features that changed when she saw the card.

I also wanted to rebut their bc when you take innocuous situations like this and label both them and me “racist” you completely water down the true making of what it means to be a racist and minimize those who have actually faced real racism.

I then got attacked by another poster saying  "it was super racist. Stop justifying"

So, was I being racist? It certainly wasn't the intent. IMO, I think we are really washing down the true meaning of the word when you go after someone for something like this. 
Officially the definition of Racism is
• a belief that race is a fundamental determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
• the systemic oppression of a racial group to the social, economic, and political advantage of another
• a political or social system founded on racism and designed to execute its principles

To me the bolded part is the most important part of the term, and in no way was I inferring any Intent to oppress or be superior to the server. 

I may be a middle aged white guy, but I don't think i did anything wrong. If I did I'll own it, but I am def confused on this whole modern idea of racism. 

I posted this in a Disney FB Group (one that shares memes and bad humor, not a typical mom's Disney group). We were talking about Club 33 which is an ultra exclusive restaurant in Disneyland with a very hefty membership cost and long waiting list.  

Then, I got this reply:

:confused:   I honestly didn't think or intend to write anything truly racist. So I replied with this: 

I then got attacked by another poster saying  "it was super racist. Stop justifying"

So, was I being racist? It certainly wasn't the intent. IMO, I think we are really washing down the true meaning of the word when you go after someone for something like this. 
• a belief that race is a fundamental determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
• the systemic oppression of a racial group to the social, economic, and political advantage of another
• a political or social system founded on racism and designed to execute its principles

To me the bolded part is the most important part of the term, and in no way was I inferring any Intent to oppress or be superior to the server. 
I may be a middle aged white guy, but I don't think i did anything wrong. If I did I'll own it, but I am def confused on this whole modern idea of racism. 

Not racist. 

In fact, no one actually knows what "racist" means anymore.  It's basically been used so often to describe people who don't bend the knee to the liberal orthodoxy that it's lost ALL meaning.

I would tell those posters to take their posts to the Weenie Hut Junior forums where their delicate sensibilities wouldn't be offended by ANYTHING.  And to invest in bubble wrap to protect themselves.

Then, I got this reply:

I think you were probably normalizing a racial stereotype. I would have just agreed with the critique that her eyes got wider is probably a better description.  If multiple people are telling you that maybe you did something wrong,  just listen and take the feedback rather than search for definitions to prove your innocence. 

Stopping to look at one of those little library boxes in somebody's neighborhood.

It's paywalled, but too delicious not to share a few paragraphs:

Then one morning, glancing out my front window, I saw a young white couple stopped at the library. Instantly, I was flooded with emotions — astonishment, and then resentment, and then astonishment at my resentment. It all converged into a silent scream in my head of, Get off my lawn!

(snip)

What I resented was not this specific couple. It was their whiteness, and my feelings of helplessness at not knowing how to maintain the integrity of a Black space that I had created. I was seeing up close how fragile that space can be, how its meaning can be changed in my mind, even by people who have no conscious intention to change it. That library was on my lawn, but for that moment it became theirs. I built it and drove it into the ground because I love books and always have. But I suddenly felt that I could not own even this, something that was clearly and intimately mine.

I think you were probably normalizing a racial stereotype. I would have just agreed with the critique that her eyes got wider is probably a better description.  If multiple people are telling you that maybe you did something wrong,  just listen and take the feedback rather than search for definitions to prove your innocence. 
Mob rules I guess?

this is what gets me.....so we cant say or mention that Japanese people have certain identifiable features, esp in their eyes? I mean is that not true? I would think this is less of a "stereotype" then "all Asian women are bad drivers" or "all Russians are drunks" 

As for the second part....proving anyone's innocence isn't allowed either when you truly believe you are? I should just go with whatever someone else says, b/c they said it? 
Please finds me in the definition of "racist" where my analogy oppressed, degraded or made me superior to anyone? IMO this is the bigger problem. We have allowed the word to be bastardized and used as a blanket statement for the very mention of anything that mentions a difference in race, with labeling the person with something truly horrible. It dilutes the word completely.

this is what gets me.....so we cant say or mention that Japanese people have certain identifiable features, esp in their eyes? I mean is that not true? I would think this is less of a "stereotype" then "all Asian women are bad drivers" or "all Russians are drunks" 

As for the second part....proving anyone's innocence isn't allowed either when you truly believe you are? I should just go with whatever someone else says, b/c they said it? 
Please finds me in the definition of "racist" where my analogy oppressed, degraded or made me superior to anyone? IMO this is the bigger problem. We have allowed the word to be bastardized and used as a blanket statement for the very mention of anything that mentions a difference in race, with labeling the person with something truly horrible. It dilutes the word completely.
There has been a history of making fun of Asians for their eyes. That isn’t on you, but I don’t think you would deny that it has been used in the past to make fun of Asians. I think people are hoping to stop that narrative.

Users who are viewing this thread