What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Thread: Things you thought weren't racist, but are (1 Viewer)

this is what gets me.....so we cant say or mention that Japanese people have certain identifiable features, esp in their eyes? I mean is that not true? I would think this is less of a "stereotype" then "all Asian women are bad drivers" or "all Russians are drunks" 

As for the second part....proving anyone's innocence isn't allowed either when you truly believe you are? I should just go with whatever someone else says, b/c they said it? 
Please finds me in the definition of "racist" where my analogy oppressed, degraded or made me superior to anyone? IMO this is the bigger problem. We have allowed the word to be bastardized and used as a blanket statement for the very mention of anything that mentions a difference in race, with labeling the person with something truly horrible. It dilutes the word completely.
I don't think you were being racist, but I also would have never in a million years typed that on Facebook. 

this is what gets me.....so we cant say or mention that Japanese people have certain identifiable features, esp in their eyes? I mean is that not true? I would think this is less of a "stereotype" then "all Asian women are bad drivers" or "all Russians are drunks" 

As for the second part....proving anyone's innocence isn't allowed either when you truly believe you are? I should just go with whatever someone else says, b/c they said it? 
Please finds me in the definition of "racist" where my analogy oppressed, degraded or made me superior to anyone? IMO this is the bigger problem. We have allowed the word to be bastardized and used as a blanket statement for the very mention of anything that mentions a difference in race, with labeling the person with something truly horrible. It dilutes the word completely.
I don't think you were being racist, mainly because I "know" you from this board.  The problem is, the facial feature you used has been used for decades by racists to be disparaging towards Asians.  So, when someone who is aware of that history reads your post and knows nothing else about you they are going to logically assume it's more of the same.

Wow. That's incredible. 
It’s a meaningless list. He’s taking all kinds of extreme examples from odd folks all over the Internet and claiming this is what “the left” wants, as if there was an organized movement somewhere. I could just as easily make a list of the craziest stuff I’ve read on far right websites and say this is what conservatives want. 

Using the most extreme statements from either side as a means to attack them is an old old political trick that both liberals and conservatives have done for ages. It’s not incredible at all, IMO. 

It’s a meaningless list. He’s taking all kinds of extreme examples from odd folks all over the Internet and claiming this is what “the left” wants, as if there was an organized movement somewhere. I could just as easily make a list of the craziest stuff I’ve read on far right websites and say this is what conservatives want. 

Using the most extreme statements from either side as a means to attack them is an old old political trick that both liberals and conservatives have done for ages. It’s not incredible at all, IMO. 
Different skin toned band aids! :nooooooo:

He’s taking all kinds of extreme examples from odd folks all over the Internet and claiming this is what “the left” wants
 Here's his list of "odd folks":

Yahoo Life
The Today Show
The Sun
BBC News
Peta
LA Times
The Times
The Guardian
CNN
Chicago Tribune
Washington Post
Sierra Club
Vice
Hollywood Reporter
New York Post
Vox
Boston Globe
Black Lives Matter UK
NBC News
Buzzfeed News
ABC News
Herald Leader
New York Times
SkyNews
Bloomberg
Teen Vogue
Library Journal
Psychology Today
Scientific American
USA Today
The Telegraph
Politico Magazine
Slate
Kent Online
Wall Street Journal
Reason
The Scottsman
Campus Reform
SF Weekly
Lit Hub
Nasa TV

Wow. That's incredible. 

Just looked it up.  It is a parody account by a british comedian.

Titania McGrath

@TitaniaMcGrath

Activist. Healer. Radical intersectionalist poet. Nonwhite. Ecosexual. Pronouns: variable. Selfless and brave. Buy my books. 

Titania McGrath, The only reason white people have children is to feel what it is like to own slaves.

Last edited by a moderator:
What the liberal defenders here fail to realize, unsurprisingly, is MANY of the racism examples shown by this "comedian" are from reputable news sites.  NOT far left whatever's that the liberals claim.   

It's meant to be a tongue in cheek list but saying it's from far left publications, is flat out wrong.  I mean I hate the La Times as much as anyone for their slant, but they are shown.   

Now..I won't say they are a left or right thing..but they are absolutely real.  

You understand that this is a parody account, right?  

Didnt think this was a new thread worthy, so i bumped this one.

I posted this in a Disney FB Group (one that shares memes and bad humor, not a typical mom's Disney group). We were talking about Club 33 which is an ultra exclusive restaurant in Disneyland with a very hefty membership cost and long waiting list.  

Then, I got this reply:

:confused:   I honestly didn't think or intend to write anything truly racist. So I replied with this: 

I then got attacked by another poster saying  "it was super racist. Stop justifying"

So, was I being racist? It certainly wasn't the intent. IMO, I think we are really washing down the true meaning of the word when you go after someone for something like this. 
Officially the definition of Racism is
• a belief that race is a fundamental determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
• the systemic oppression of a racial group to the social, economic, and political advantage of another
• a political or social system founded on racism and designed to execute its principles

To me the bolded part is the most important part of the term, and in no way was I inferring any Intent to oppress or be superior to the server. 

I may be a middle aged white guy, but I don't think i did anything wrong. If I did I'll own it, but I am def confused on this whole modern idea of racism. 
It was super racist.  Have you ever discussed with a Japanese person how your identification references the shape of their eyes?  How do they feel about it?  I have and it's definitely considered racist by the Japanese.  Do you tell the difference between Chinese and Japanese by their eye shape or is everyone from over there to be lumped into the "eye shape" group.  It's seriously disgusting how much of this is still pervasive in our America.

It was super racist.  Have you ever discussed with a Japanese person how your identification references the shape of their eyes?  How do they feel about it?  I have and it's definitely considered racist by the Japanese.  Do you tell the difference between Chinese and Japanese by their eye shape or is everyone from over there to be lumped into the "eye shape" group.  It's seriously disgusting how much of this is still pervasive in our America.
Sorry, but I'm sitting here chuckling at the idea of a Japanese person being the victim of racist stereotyping.  Not sure they'll get a lot of sympathy from the Chinese or Koreans.

You know that racism is pervasive and rampant in Japan and their culture right?  The minorities of Ainu and Okinawa are routinely targeted as are the chinese and korean immigrants. As well as the newer immigrants from other Asian and African countries.

I am trying to find this documentary that stated that basically the whole world regardless of where you are from had some inherant racism built in to their cultures.

You know that racism is pervasive and rampant in Japan and their culture right?  The minorities of Ainu and Okinawa are routinely targeted as are the chinese and korean immigrants. As well as the newer immigrants from other Asian and African countries.

I am trying to find this documentary that stated that basically the whole world regardless of where you are from had some inherant racism built in to their cultures.
You're absolutely correct.  I was discussing the American racism referenced by the OP.

I think that it is a given that racism is based on a power structure.  

Shes funny..

And points out something important.  Us English speakers need to shut our pie holes

https://twitter.com/TitaniaMcGrath/status/1420057588419399688
New research suggests that English speakers put more droplets into the air when they talk, which may make them more likely to spread COVID-19. Since the novel coronavirus is spread by droplets, how spitty a language is might contribute to different rates of the disease. It all comes down to something called aspirated consonants, the sounds we make that spray more droplets of saliva into the air.

Thanks for your opinion. We disagree. 

You think those lists of "racist" things represent what the majority of the left thinks?

I hate to see things called racist unless there was an malicious intent.  I understand how some things are taken as offensive because of history with the word or phrase, but lots of times those words come out due to ignorance.  Everyone has different experiences and not everyone has an understanding.  It is easy to point out slanted eyes as something that is obviously true, but not understand many people have used that in a derogatory way in the past.  In that case it is not racist.  If it was meant to belittle, it would be.  A recent example was Jack Morris statement about Shohei which he was actually being complimentary but appeared to be mocking Asian speech.  

And oof. I did listen to some of that guy - is he always that annoying?
Basic rundown was that ostensibly the bridges on those parkways were built low to keep buses from minority neighborhoods to access the beach.  In actuality, the bridges were built low due to cost and buses were banned on NY State parkways completely and had been for a long time prior to that.  So the thought that these bridges were built to physically block buses makes no sense.  This claim that it was a racist parkway is a myth.

And, yes, he's annoying.  He also happens to have the biggest head/body ratio of anyone I've ever seen.

Basic rundown was that ostensibly the bridges on those parkways were built low to keep buses from minority neighborhoods to access the beach.  In actuality, the bridges were built low due to cost and buses were banned on NY State parkways completely and had been for a long time prior to that.  So the thought that these bridges were built to physically block buses makes no sense.  This claim that it was a racist parkway is a myth.

And, yes, he's annoying.  He also happens to have the biggest head/body ratio of anyone I've ever seen.
:lmao:

He seems to have a good point about the parkways.

He did just gloss over the fact that highways were in fact routed through black neighborhoods on purpose though

:lmao:

He seems to have a good point about the parkways.

He did just gloss over the fact that highways were in fact routed through black neighborhoods on purpose though
This may be true, but the prime example that has been walked out to demonstrate racism was about these parkways.  So, in that, he's pretty well on target.

What's odd is how we've seized upon the development of the parkway system in New York as having a racist problem but not having a power problem. It seems to me that the more fruitful discussion comes in having an unelected commission with that much power over transportation. 

That's how racist things get embedded into things like transportation. If they were duly elected, one would imagine the public having its say about how these things got done. 

Or maybe they never would have gotten done in the first place, and that's a problem. 

But it seems like the power aspect of it is the interesting part of the discussion. How race gets embedded into power is only part of it. 

Tried to read the Reuters story but it is paywalled for me (already used Max free articles) the history channel one wasn't very compelling. It says building the highway around a city is racist and building it right through it was racist. 

It made a claim about the federal government requiring states to wall off black people as a prerequisite to getting funding. It provided zero back up for such a statement. I would be interested to read more about that, if anything is available. 

NorvilleBarnes said:
 Here's his list of "odd folks":

Yahoo Life
The Today Show
The Sun
BBC News
Peta
LA Times
The Times
The Guardian
CNN
Chicago Tribune
Washington Post
Sierra Club
Vice
Hollywood Reporter
New York Post
Vox
Boston Globe
Black Lives Matter UK
NBC News
Buzzfeed News
ABC News
Herald Leader
New York Times
SkyNews
Bloomberg
Teen Vogue
Library Journal
Psychology Today
Scientific American
USA Today
The Telegraph
Politico Magazine
Slate
Kent Online
Wall Street Journal
Reason
The Scottsman
Campus Reform
SF Weekly
Lit Hub
Nasa TV

I think Tim may have been looking at something else if he thought it was just some fringe outliers.

the moops said:
18 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:
22 hours ago, timschochet said:

Expand  

Expand  
You think those lists of "racist" things represent what the majority of the left thinks?
Gonna quote this again.

You wrote a pretty lengthy post, if I remember correctly, about painting people as white supremecists without any, or with little supporting info, and how dangerous that is.

Aren't you doing the same thing here Joe with you ascribing all or a majaority of these beliefs on the left?

Don't you think that one could peruse the millions of articles on any subject and find any number of outrageous claims to "support" just about any theory?

Users who are viewing this thread