What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Washington Redskins 2014 Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

So is the feel-good, "this can be turned around quickly" vibe because this is essentially the same team that was 10-6, in the playoffs and could pull off a 7-game win streak just 12 months ago? Is everyone really sold that the team is closer to that than the 3-13, 8-game losing streak and arguably the worst team in the league that we just watched for the last 4 months? $30+ million doesn't seem like enough to me to overhaul this roster for whatever new schemes are coming down the pike.
I think we're closer to 10-6 than 3-13. Will we automatically be a playoff team next year? No. But I don't see why we couldn't improve on the 3-13 record. If you look, we had a bunch of games where we blew a lead in the 2nd half. Denver, Dallas, Minnesota and New York. They could've been 4 more wins and a 7-9 record.

There is definitely talent on this team: RG3, Morris, Williams, Garcon, Reed, Kerrigan, Orakpo (if he comes back), Hall (if he comes back), and Amerson. Still will need to build both lines and add depth, but I don't think this team is that bad going forward.
Unfortunately, having 31st defense and 32nd special teams in the league would beg to differ that we are more towards 3-13 and not 10-6.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused. Who was the real the problem in WASH? Shanahan or Snyder?

From what I'm reading it appears Shanahan was the problem, not Snyder. I don't get the outrage at Snyder, but I'm not real close to the situation so maybe I'm not seeing it.
The outrage at Snyder stems mostly from his past (deserved) reputation for meddling, and not from the last 4 years where he basically left Shanahan alone. It comes mostly from people who don't follow the Skins much, and from a few people who are Shanahan fans.
:goodposting:

I hate Snyder with a passion. This town would be a better place if he never existed. But IMO very little of this current mess is his fault, other than his hiring decisions. Every breakdown I've read, including the great one in the Post this weekend, puts this mess at Shanahan's feet.

Pros and cons of taking the Skins coaching job.
Seemed like the pros outweighed the cons to me. Sure there is no 1st rounder this year, but we still have the rest of our picks and plenty of money to spend. Out of the current HC vacancies, only the Skins and Lions have their QBs of the future on their teams.
The 1st round pick thing may be a con, but I doubt it carries a bunch of weight. I'd hope most coaching candidates aren't too concerned what 1st round pick they have in year n. There's just way more to building a good team than one pick in your first year. Plus, that lost pick is at least balanced out by the pro of already having Griffin.

So is the feel-good, "this can be turned around quickly" vibe because this is essentially the same team that was 10-6, in the playoffs and could pull off a 7-game win streak just 12 months ago? Is everyone really sold that the team is closer to that than the 3-13, 8-game losing streak and arguably the worst team in the league that we just watched for the last 4 months? $30+ million doesn't seem like enough to me to overhaul this roster for whatever new schemes are coming down the pike.
I think we're closer to 10-6 than 3-13. Will we automatically be a playoff team next year? No. But I don't see why we couldn't improve on the 3-13 record. If you look, we had a bunch of games where we blew a lead in the 2nd half. Denver, Dallas, Minnesota and New York. They could've been 4 more wins and a 7-9 record.

There is definitely talent on this team: RG3, Morris, Williams, Garcon, Reed, Kerrigan, Orakpo (if he comes back), Hall (if he comes back), and Amerson. Still will need to build both lines and add depth, but I don't think this team is that bad going forward.
Unfortunately, having 31st defense and 32nd special teams in the league would beg to differ that we are more towards 10-6.
Special teams is easy to fix. It's just coaching, savvy low-budget free agent and late round draft moves, and luck. Kansas City was 22nd last year, they're #1 this year. St Louis jumped from 26th to 3rd.

Unfortunately, having 31st defense and 32nd special teams in the league would beg to differ that we are more towards 3-13 and not 10-6.
Yes the defense and special teams were AWFUL, but they can only get better right? Our special teams was one of the worst units of ALL-TIME! They have to improve. The defense certainly needs work, but I think a scheme change to a 4-3 could help alot there.

Pros and cons of taking the Skins coaching job.
Seemed like the pros outweighed the cons to me. Sure there is no 1st rounder this year, but we still have the rest of our picks and plenty of money to spend. Out of the current HC vacancies, only the Skins and Lions have their QBs of the future on their teams.
The 1st round pick thing may be a con, but I doubt it carries a bunch of weight. I'd hope most coaching candidates aren't too concerned what 1st round pick they have in year n. There's just way more to building a good team than one pick in your first year. Plus, that lost pick is at least balanced out by the pro of already having Griffin.
Good point. We don't have a 1st, put we have our franchise LT in Williams and possible franchise QB in RG3. Those are 2 key positions you spend an early 1st on.

Unfortunately, having 31st defense and 32nd special teams in the league would beg to differ that we are more towards 10-6.
Special teams is easy to fix. It's just coaching, savvy low-budget free agent and late round draft moves, and luck. Kansas City was 22nd last year, they're #1 this year. St Louis jumped from 26th to 3rd.
Agreed. The ST has to be like 95% a coaching problem. And I wouldn't be surprised if a large % of the defensive problems are also due to coaching issues.

Does anybody know which divisions we play next year?
NFCW and AFCS

Home opponents: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Rams, Seahawks, Titans, Jaguars, and Bucs

Road opponents: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Cardinals, 49ers, Colts, Texans, and Vikings

NFCW and AFCS

Home opponents: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Rams, Seahawks, Titans, Jaguars, and Bucs

Road opponents: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Cardinals, 49ers, Colts, Texans, and Vikings
I think our home games look managable. The division games are are crapshoot and the Jags and Bucs are winnable for sure. Titans could be going through a coaching change. Rams are good, so that could be a tough game. And of course the Seattle game, but they're not always great on the road.

Looking at that, I can see 3 prime time games for the Skins next year. RG3 vs. Luck will definitely be one, same with RG3 vs. Wilson. For the 3rd, I'm sure we'll see a PT division game.

Agreed. The ST has to be like 95% a coaching problem. And I wouldn't be surprised if a large % of the defensive problems are also due to coaching issues.
Agree on ST, but I thought they had a lot of personnel issues on defense. Defensive line and secondary both could use a lot of help. And they need to re-sign Orakpo.

NFCW and AFCS

I think our home games look managable. The division games are are crapshoot and the Jags and Bucs are winnable for sure. Titans could be going through a coaching change. Rams are good, so that could be a tough game. And of course the Seattle game, but they're not always great on the road.

Looking at that, I can see 3 prime time games for the Skins next year. RG3 vs. Luck will definitely be one, same with RG3 vs. Wilson. For the 3rd, I'm sure we'll see a PT division game.
3 PT games = 3 PT losses, no matter who is coaching...

NFCW and AFCS

3 PT games = 3 PT losses, no matter who is coaching...
I sadly agree

So RG3 will have a press conference at 3:00 today. So much for thinking that he will lay low. Hopefully his father isn't in the background singing the HEY HEY GOODBYE song in the middle of it.

I think all you need to know about this franchise is that according Kendric Goldston on CSN he was told of everything on Twitter. Since you knew about this after the Cowboys game you couldn't have said anything to the players?

So RG3 will have a press conference at 3:00 today. So much for thinking that he will lay low. Hopefully his father isn't in the background singing the HEY HEY GOODBYE song in the middle of it.

I think all you need to know about this franchise is that according Kendric Goldston on CSN he was told of everything on Twitter. Since you knew about this after the Cowboys game you couldn't have said anything to the players?
Are you asking why the front office didn't tell the players they were going to fire the coach before they fired him?

I don't know maybe this is the norm in the NFL but I would think the players would like to know from the organization what is going on and not from social media. . Obviously you can tell them before hand. I bet you that RG3 didn't have to wait for Twitter to find out about the firing of Shanny and the coaches

Ten Shanahan assistants fired: KShanahan, Turner, Burns, LaFleur, McDaniel, Bob Slowik, Flowers, Hightower, Bobby Slowick, Pleasant.

The other six - Haz, Morris, Burney, Foerster, McVay, Morgan - remain in limbo until the next coach is hired.

Supposedly McVay is HOT young guy on our staff that any new coach would want to keep. A Redskins source said basically all of Shanahan's guys got fired, the other guys are left for someone else to determine.

Bruce Allen is now in charge of personnel. He'll keep working with Morocco Brown and Scott Campbell in that area.

Bruce Allen is now in charge of interviewing the head coach possibilities.

Chris Russell says they've spoken with Cowher.

Griffin's statement.

"Coach [Mike] Shanahan has taught me a lot in just two years. I want to thank him for drafting me to the Washington Redskins and giving me a chance to live out my dream. I also want to thank [offensive coordinator] Kyle [shanahan] and [quarterbacks coach] Matt [LaFleur] for working so hard with me, day-in and day-out. I wish the three of them the best in the future. Looking forward to a new year and building with this team to where we know we can be."

Read between the lines in Allen's press conference. He says we have good personnel guys that have appropriately graded free agents and draft picks. But between the lines he is saying Shannys evaluation stunk and he didn't take enough advice from those personnel guys. He also says the coaches didn't use their time wisely. I think Reid is asking the talent evaluation question over and over again but never gets what Allen is saying.

Who was the guy at the press conference asking Allen the question about system-wide failure in the organization? And asking it again when Allen dodged it? Redskin press conferences need more questions like that instead of creampuff questions from intimidated beat reporters and "reporters" who work for the Redskins. Was that David Owens? https://twitter.com/DaveOwensWUSA

Read between the lines in Allen's press conference. He says we have good personnel guys that have appropriately graded free agents and draft picks. But between the lines he is saying Shannys evaluation stunk and he didn't take enough advice from those personnel guys. He also says the coaches didn't use their time wisely. I think Reid is asking the talent evaluation question over and over again but never gets what Allen is saying.
Thanks for that. I kept getting interrupted by work while listening at work. Imagine that. I do want to read the transcript when it's out.

And no, I don't want Bill Cowher. Or any other big name formerly-successful coach.

Seems like it will be like this:

Snyder

-----BUFFER-----Allen (GM/contracts/PR)---mostly oversight of these guys:

Brown (Director of NFL talent acquisition/FA) / Campbell (Director of College scouting/Draft)

------

HC

Snyder

Brown (Director of NFL talent acquisition/FA) / Campbell (Director of College scouting/Draft)

------

HC
Did he indicate in the press conference that the HC would not have much input into personnel?

Snyder

------

HC
Did he indicate in the press conference that the HC would not have much input into personnel?
He did not, but one things for sure--a Shanahan-type control freak won't even look at this job now (thank god).

Snyder

------

HC
No, they would decide the scheme and the personnel guys would adjust for what is needed. Basically, it sounded as though Shanahan hampered their (Brown and Campbell) ability. Supposedly Brown was one of the major guys that pushed for Garcon for what that is worth.

Snyder

------

HC
No, they would decide the scheme and the personnel guys would adjust for what is needed. Basically, it sounded as though Shanahan hampered their (Brown and Campbell) ability. Supposedly Brown was one of the major guys that pushed for Garcon for what that is worth.
I think it will go the other way, too. Allen said he and the personnel guys (Brown/Campbell) would be changing the qualities we look for in players. I think they'll all be involved in the coaching search--you only bring in candidates that fit what types of players/schemes you want to build around, and like the Steelers and Ravens, that's how you keep continuity long-term even with future coaching changes. Because you have an organizational vision dictating your roster makeup and schemes on both sides of the ball, you don't have to "rebuild" every time a new coach brings in a new scheme.

I simply don't get nor understand why people hate Dan Snyder. The guy just wants his team to win. :shrug:

I simply don't get nor understand why people hate Dan Snyder. The guy just wants his team to win. :shrug:
Prior to the past four years I've hated him for his meddling. This go around with Shanny he did everything fans have been asking, backed off and let the football people run things.

Prior to the past four years I've hated him for his meddling. This go around with Shanny he did everything fans have been asking, backed off and let the football people run things.
This is my point.

He goes out and gets an established coach with a history of winning.

He backs off and lets football minded people make football decisions.

People still rip him. :shrug:

I really felt like Shanahan deliberately tanked this season.

Snyder

------

HC
I think it will go the other way, too. Allen said he and the personnel guys (Brown/Campbell) would be changing the qualities we look for in players. I think they'll all be involved in the coaching search--you only bring in candidates that fit what types of players/schemes you want to build around, and like the Steelers and Ravens, that's how you keep continuity long-term even with future coaching changes. Because you have an organizational vision dictating your roster makeup and schemes on both sides of the ball, you don't have to "rebuild" every time a new coach brings in a new scheme.
However it works out, it seems different than anything we've had since Beathard left. A stable front office (Allen has completed 4 years already) and some defined roles (Brown & Campbell working on personnel, with more say than before). There's actually a chance this could be workable over time.

Feels so good to go into 2014 Shannyless.

Time to make a good decision on the new guy and start bringing positive times to the Skins

The draft process has met with mixed results at best. Ryan Kerrigan, Trent Williams, Alfred Morris, and RGIII are keepers that would start anywhere. Morris is clearly the teams’ best value pick coming in the 6th round of the draft. Beyond those 4 their drafts have produced just 4 starters for the Redskins- WR Leonard Hankerson, LB Perry Riley, CB David Amerson, and S Baccari Rambo, none of whom would likely start on most clubs in the NFL.

The bottom line is that after four seasons the Redskins are right back to square one.
I don't get this at all. Who wrote this? There is a reason why every other team passed on Morris for just over 5 rounds. His skills/abilities were great for Shanahan's ZBS and there's reason to believe he could have success in a power running scheme. But how many coaches run a power running scheme or the ZBS as heavily as Shanahan (I know just about every team uses elements of it at times, but my impression is that few use it as exclusively as Shanahan)? Is that going to be a prerequisite for incoming coaches? IMO, a new coach very likely means a new RB will be needed before too long.
I don't think you have 2 1,300yd+ seasons on accident. He's a tough runner. Look at his YAC. He's been up there with AP both seasons so far.
I don't think his past 2 seasons are accidents either. I've never questioned his toughness, and I in no way believe he is without talent. But I also think it's naive to think that he's a great fit for any team/coach/system. There is a very real possibility that he's an average running back who benefited from being in a system he fit perfectly. It just seems a little presumptuous to me to lump him in with 1 st round talents like Griffin, Kerrigan and Williams, going forward.

Sidewinder16 said:
There is a very real possibility that he's an average running back who benefited from being in a system he fit perfectly. It just seems a little presumptuous to me to lump him in with 1 st round talents like Griffin, Kerrigan and Williams, going forward.
After watching him play for 2 years I don't see any way he's merely an average RB. We'll just have to disagree on that one.

Here's something else to think about --- how does Albert Morris perform behind a truly good offensive line? We haven't seen that yet.

Who was the guy at the press conference asking Allen the question about system-wide failure in the organization? And asking it again when Allen dodged it? Redskin press conferences need more questions like that instead of creampuff questions from intimidated beat reporters and "reporters" who work for the Redskins. Was that David Owens? https://twitter.com/DaveOwensWUSA
I guess not. Dave Owens didn't get to speak. Tony (PR guru) Wylie grabbed the microphone from him.

Dan SteinbergVerified account ‏@dcsportsbog

I mean, of course today would include Fred Smoot breaking news, and Tony Wyllie and Dave Owens playing tug of war with a microphone

Users who are viewing this thread