What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OFFICIAL WIS XVIII THREAD: An Ode to Claude Hendrix (1 Viewer)

One thing we do know, Joe McGinninity's season is (finally) done.
Still at 100%. :thumbup:
Is it too late to work a trade?
When his story of guts and fortitude airs on 30 for 30, he will be starring as part of Team Kauff, not as a part of Team Champ.

Besides, we'd anger the WIS gods by doing a deal now.
I don't know that RnR is considered a WIS god.

:coffee:
:popcorn:

Rankings were a bit all over the place this go around. Not a good year to be a top seed though as NONE of the #1 seeds made the playoffs and the top four ranked teams not only did not make it, but three of them had bad years, two of which were real struggles.

On the flip side, three of the last 10 ranked teams won, and with good to very good seasons. Two more in that group (Socal, the worst ranked and AoD, 5th worse) were there until the end. Had a chance for three of the lowest ranked teams to make it in with a few days to go, in fact.

Not sure what the lesson is here, if any - but perhaps randomness plus luck plus parity equals less predictable results, and maybe there is not a one size-fits all way to rank teams as we all have slightly (and sometimes majorly) different approaches to the draft and the season and each of us has certain strengths / weaknesses.

DrD 1,494 -- Live #1 seed - Finished just under .500
Brady 1,423 -- Live #1 seed - 2nd in a weak division, well behind pump
RNR 1,422 -- Live #1 seed - King of Commissioneering, not WIS playing
avoid 1,385 -- Live #1 seed - Last in the division, a billion behind
moops 1,376 -- Live #2 seed - WC
TRE 1,376 -- Live #2 seed - WC
jfranco 1,364 -- Dead #1 seed - Just Missed
eephus 1,359 -- Dead #1 seed - Under .500, third in division
SNC 1,349 -- Dead #2 seed
dougb 1,349 -- Dead #2 seed
Pump 1,331 -- Live #2 seed
Bogart 1,277 -- Live #2 seed
Rodg 1,276 -- Dead #3 seed
Sparty 1,264 -- Live #3 seed
ChemX 1,246 -- Live #3 seed
Hoos 1,222 -- Dead #3 seed
Kraft 1,203 -- Live #3 seed
Frosti 1,202 -- Dead #4 seed
arsenal 1,081 -- Live #3 seed - Finished one game behind
Koya 1,080 -- Live #4 seed
Greco 1,070 -- Live #4 seed
Larry 1,003 -- Live #4 seed
Socal 987 -- Live #4 seed - Above .500 and in the WC hunt til the final few days

Disappointed in missing out on the playoffs, but this was still a fun Sim for me.

Walter Johnson went 33-11 with a 3.12 ERA. Interestingly with an ERA of 3.31 Luis Tiant could only manage 16-14.

Eck went 52/54 in saves, far and away the best in the league and probably the difference between my team being .500 and in contention down to the wire. As a team I was 55/61.

The Henderson/Raines experiment was fun, and both did pretty well.

The most disappointing player on my team was Bobby Murcer who only managed a .608 OPS

The most surprising was Red Schoendienst, picked up really late as my 2B option, he hit .308 with a .737 OPS and eventually ended up as my #3 hitter.

Worst team in the worst division. I really do suck at this. Not shtick. But on a positive note, I didn't lose 100 games.

I'm just excited for the opportunity...yet again. Proud to be on the same stage with all of you.
How do you feel about Koya's claim that you aren't the "best golfer to never win a major"?

You have my vote, GB.
Unless I mistyped, I said that he is the best not to have won the big one. Perhaps the most consistently good player in these things.
After a re-read, I see where you were going with that sentence. #commaproblems

I'm just excited for the opportunity...yet again. Proud to be on the same stage with all of you.
How do you feel about Koya's claim that you aren't the "best golfer to never win a major"?

You have my vote, GB.
Unless I mistyped, I said that he is the best not to have won the big one. Perhaps the most consistently good player in these things.
F'n grammer.

You have my vote, GB.
Luckily, I speak koylish fluently. :thumbup:

You have my vote, GB.
Luckily, I speak koylish fluently. :thumbup:
:thumbup:

It's TRE's year, I'm feelin' it.

Not sure what the lesson is here, if any - but perhaps randomness plus luck plus parity equals less predictable results, and maybe there is not a one size-fits all way to rank teams as we all have slightly (and sometimes majorly) different approaches to the draft and the season and each of us has certain strengths / weaknesses.
I've often wondered what what would happen if we played the exact same teams & divisions twice (or more). Would the same teams that won the first time around do so the second time? Could the same squad lose 90 games the first time, and then win 90 games the second time?

I've often wondered what what would happen if we played the exact same teams & divisions twice (or more). Would the same teams that won the first time around do so the second time? Could the same squad lose 90 games the first time, and then win 90 games the second time?
There's certainly a degree of variation and of luck, the question is just how much... heck, there have been a number of times when half a season a team is 5-10 games under .500 and then goes nuts to finish 5-10 ahead. I'd also think that the variation may differ in leagues with varied player pool sizes.

That said, if you are 30 games under or 30 games over, I cant see a team like that "flipping" - but there has to be a 10-20 game total variance at least I'd imagine. It's an interesting point of study.

I also think that while there is more variation come playoffs because anything can happen in a short series, there are teams that are better suited for that short series than others. A team might have an advantage in a 162 game season, but actually be an underdog against a team that might have say two top pitchers but not the depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve Carlton freaking killed me. 6.03 ERA, 1.72 WHIP, .298 OAV and gave up 40 HRs. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF!!!! :thumbdown:

<_<

I gotta learn how to draft pitchers in this thing.

Steve Carlton freaking killed me. 6.03 ERA, 1.72 WHIP, .298 OAV and gave up 40 HRs. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF!!!! :thumbdown:

<_<

I gotta learn how to draft pitchers in this thing.
Let me know when you figure it out and then you can tutor (not John Tudor) me.

We've been waiting all morning for Doctor D to pick in our NCAA quarters draft. I think Greco has been summoned, but anyone else have Lombasignal?

good luck nerds. I get to go on a flight in 2 hours to Florida. I think I have strep and my 2 little ones are sick as well. :kill me:

No chance it starts before the end of april. Us "real baseball" nerds are knee-deep in the MLB stuff.

No chance it starts before the end of april. Us "real baseball" nerds are knee-deep in the MLB stuff.
I figured, but the season starts in a couple weeks... what are you doing 2-3 weeks after that? Other than watching and ####. We gotta get the thread going, bicker about the rules, finally start the draft, draft / shtick, preseason WIS and then start.

Sign ups during the playoffs? Do you guys have no respect for the process? There's a gold jacket on the line here!

GL Pump, couldn't overcome pump pitching despite having one of the better offenses in the league <_<

Phew, that was a close series. Joss took the first with a team shutout and was feeling pretty good. But after dropping the next two with my offense doing little it was not looking good. Stank's got a nice balance of batting and pitching.

Had some good fortune in the last game, really could have gone either way. SNStanky jumped out in the top of the 6th with three, with my getting them back bottom of the 7th. Game went into extra's and he broke through in the tenth with a run, but some very good timing got a bottom of the ninth tying run against Carlos Cisco with the winning run scoring on an error.

Great series, SNC.

OLD SCHOOL FINAL FOUR

All original players:

Pump (won the damn thing before it was cool)

Doug B - Two time World Series winner

Koya - The Champ

TRE - It's his time. If Karma has anything to do with it at least.

OLD SCHOOL FINAL FOUR

All original players:

Koya - The Champ

It's no OLD school without Eephus.

OLD SCHOOL FINAL FOUR

All original players:

Koya - The Champ

True that.

BTW, Fisk coming through with some big hits and a .429 OBP with Sosa getting the game five POTG going .381 .435 .476 for the series. I love **** Allen gets the series MVP with a line of .421 .476 .474.

Not much power in this series at all outside of Gehrig who had a sick line of .412 .522 .588, but a lot of OBP from my end at least.

Mantle no XBH but .478 OBP.

OLD SCHOOL FINAL FOUR

All original players:

Koya - The Champ

True that.

BTW, Fisk coming through with some big hits and a .429 OBP with Sosa getting the game five POTG going .381 .435 .476 for the series. I love **** Allen gets the series MVP with a line of .421 .476 .474.

Not much power in this series at all outside of Gehrig who had a sick line of .412 .522 .588, but a lot of OBP from my end at least.

You posting from the Biden gathering? :o

OLD SCHOOL FINAL FOUR

All original players:

Koya - The Champ

True that.

Stan Musial looked great on the Heavenly Pines Golf Course today.

Users who are viewing this thread