What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

One of the best opening weekends in the NFL I can remember!!! So..What did we learn Week 1 Edition!! (1 Viewer)

-Tevin Coleman will have a role...

-Sanu has a role too...

-Tajae Sharpe had 7/70+ and he's just getting going

-Stefon Diggs still the WR to own in MN, 7/100+

-Duke Johnson 6 touches for 50 yds...only 3 of them on the ground, looks like he is only going to be a receiving threat. 7 yds per carry on the ground.

-Not a huge Hue Jackson fan early on, Barnidge is going on waiver wire, Duke can't get any touches.

-Jordan Mathews...didn't get the memo in the preseason, how did the Sharks drop the ball here? 

-Randall Cobb still just mediocre it seems

-Eddie Lacy..was expecting more

-What happened to Jared Cook?

-TJ Yeldon cannot run the football, he can however make a nice guy out of the back field on pass plays. 

-Brock Osweiler threw a horrific interception early in the game...he rebounded, would you agree?

-Will Fuller, he's talented

-Lamar Miller looked solid but they used him a lot..wear n tear any concern?

Play everyone against Indy and NO... just like last year. 

The sooner the Browns call this RG3 experiment and play McCown, the better everyone on the offense (save for Crowell) will be. 
40 of Crowell's 62 yards came on 3 rushes on the last drive as the clock was running out. Before that he went 9 for 22. So I wouldn't start Crowell any time soon regardless of QB. 

I don't think he'll be starting anytime soon but Murray didn't look special either.  If he continues with the sub 4.0 YPA and fumbles Henry should get more opportunities.
the fumble looked like mariota's fault to me, and henry averaged a whoppin' 1.67.  like it or not, murray isn't going away unless he gets hurt.

Here's something else I learned just now looking at the results.

Breaking into this group of playoffs teams and replacing 'em is going to be no mean feat for the teams trying to do so, especially in the AFC.  Here's a breakdown:

Last Year's #1 Seed in the AFC won a Super Bowl rematch in come-from-behind fashion by 1-point behind a QB in his first NFL start.

Last Year's #2 Seed in the AFC won a 2-point game coming from behind on the road behind a QB in HIS first NFL start, also missing their most important offensive player, winning at last year's NFC runner-up.

Last Year's #3 Seed in the AFC won a come-from-behind victory on the road by 1-point over a 10-6 team from last season overcoming a performance where they gave up 7 sacks and over 150 yards rushing and gutting out the win anyway.

Last Year's #4 Seed overcame a deficit entering the 4th-quarter behind a quarterback in only his 8th career start, managing to win by 9.

Last Year's #5 Seed in the AFC won a come-from-behind victory where the deficit was 21 points in the 2nd half (setting a team record in the process).

(The 6th seed hasn't played yet).

While last year's #1 and #2 seeds in the NFC lost (to the #1 and #2 AFC seeds) they weren't exactly slouches in the game.

The #4 seed from last year in the NFC faces the aforementioned #6 seed from the AFC.

As for the others

Last year's #3 seed in the NFC overcame a 10-point halftime deficit to win on the road, having only 2 weeks go lost their #1 QB for the season.

Last year’s #5 seed in the NFC won a nip-and-tuck game on the road by 4 points.

Last year’s #6 seed in the NFC overcame a sluggish effort and pulled out a 2-point win in the last minute, even as their franchise QB tried to shake off an ankle injury.

So as a group, last year’s playoff teams were 6-0 against the non-playoff teams. 

I just get a sense this is going to be a tougher than usual group to try and depose.

Winning is a habit.

-QG

Forte still has steam and I wish he played the Bears.

Luck and his kidneys are back in top form (for now)

Coleman might replace Freeman at some point.  

The Texas were smart in picking up Miller, and drafting top WR.

Its refreshing to have a week of football where the refs/rules are not at the forefront of discussion

The Dez no catch is the only thing i have heard grumbled about

I'll probably catch some flack for saying this--but I was fairly unimpressed with Arizona.  I felt like New Englands offense was fairly predictable--and I found it shocking that with no Brady, no Gronk--and a running game that was super inefficient (31 carries for 106 yards)--they still managed to put up 23 points against Arizona  on the road.    It was a great and entertaining game to watch--but I personally expected to see more from them. With that being said--I expect them to get things together and turn things around--but I still can't help but feel like the Cards were very underwhelming week 1. 

It is just ridiculous how much of a passing league the NFL has become.  I know we all knew this already but the passing is so out of proportion to rushing it is insane. 

Was there even a single 100 yard rusher in week 1?

Bill Belichick just looks like he is in a constant state of constitutional irregularities shall we say. 

Did he ever get a Christmas present as a child? He got Tom Brady when he was older. 

It is just ridiculous how much of a passing league the NFL has become.  I know we all knew this already but the passing is so out of proportion to rushing it is insane. 

I do 2 rb, 2 wr and 2 flex.  Maybe 3 rb the way to go next year.  

I was thinking this too. Lamar Miller was the only one. And he barely crested the mountain.

The Colts are now without there top 3 CB's for the immediate future.  Stream a QB against them until they prove otherwise.  Should be similar to last years' Saints D.

Travis Benjamin's stock just skyrocketed w/ Allen's injury.  Rivers always feeds his top WR.  Pretty much makes him a lock for a solid #2 WR for fantasy purposes w upside.

The Jets were smart not to overpay for Fitz.  He's a placeholder, not a franchise QB

The Colts are now without there top 3 CB's for the immediate future.  Stream a QB against them until they prove otherwise.  Should be similar to last years' Saints D.

Travis Benjamin's stock just skyrocketed w/ Allen's injury.  Rivers always feeds his top WR.  Pretty much makes him a lock for a solid #2 WR for fantasy purposes w upside.

The Jets were smart not to overpay for Fitz.  He's a placeholder, not a franchise QB
Are we sure it's him though and not Tyrell Williams?  I hope you're right since I have benjamin but he doesn't scream "target monster" to me

Last edited by a moderator:
We learned the same thing we often re-learn Week 1 of every season: good teams find a way to win games, and bad teams find a way to lose games.

Also, we learned the same thing we've re-learned Week 1 for the past however many years: when it comes to the NFC East, nobody knows nothin' about anything.

As an Eagles fan.  I learned that my hopes and dreams will soon come crashing down when Carson Wentz will eventually have to play a good defense.

I also learned that Antonio Gates might be done and Black Unicorn won't be worth #### until Brady comes back.

I learned that the ESPN fantasy football IT department should be fired...

they had ONE job!! Inexcusable...

Last edited by a moderator:
QB is a deep position this year more than ever. Stafford, Winston, Dalton, Ryan, Bortles, Carr all having nice weeks, right up there with the normal guys like Brees, Luck, and Rodgers of the world. 

Its refreshing to have a week of football where the refs/rules are not at the forefront of discussion

The Dez no catch is the only thing i have heard grumbled about
Had ARZ not missed a kick I think there would have been more talk of Bennett blocking a pass rusher so hard on a crucial third down that they called holding.

Exactly, Bennett stayed in to Block, protect Jimmy in his first start.  That made a lot of sense this week, but it is not written in stone

For what it's worth, I don't like any NE receivers not named Gronk and Edelman, and then I don't like them due to injury risks.  NE, more than any team, spreads the ball around too much for any predictability.  If they end up establishing a pass-catching RB, that is who I would target (although whether that will be White, Foster, Lewis, or none of the above, it remains to be seen)

For what it's worth, I don't like any NE receivers not named Gronk and Edelman, and then I don't like them due to injury risks.  NE, more than any team, spreads the ball around too much for any predictability.  If they end up establishing a pass-catching RB, that is who I would target (although whether that will be White, Foster, Lewis, or none of the above, it remains to be seen)
The Ravens disagree with this but the overall point is sound.

Murray didn't look special vaulting into the end zone head over heels?

Please look at the game footage when you can...Henry was like 5 carries for 3 yds at one point, let's get real here. 
Yes I saw him vault into the endzone.  I also saw Henry take a two yard pass and make about six defenders look like fools as he took it 22 yards through the heart of the Vikings D.

I think I am being very real.  We don't judge a performance on one play and we don't condemn on one game.   The reality is Murray looked only okay and put the ball on the turf once and, arguably, contributed to another.  It was a pretty average performance by Murray, and the Titans in general.  I am not suggesting that Murray will be (or should be) benched or demoted to second string but he didn't run away with the job either.

Users who are viewing this thread