What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Oppenheimer - New Christopher Nolan movie (2 Viewers)

For sure and I can't really say. Haven't seen any of what you are referring to. Just pointing out how difficult it is to really understand any of history because it's almost all filtered through human POVs and those are often unreliable or worse.
My sense is that some some leeway was given on his personality in order to build sympathy for the character in the movie. It would be far more challenging to build that sympathy for an arrogant, unlikeable person who often times berated people. It wouldn't be the first time Hollywood glamorized someone.
:shrug: They did it for Steve Jobs, who was almost assuredly worse.

Memento is a masterpiece and I’ve seen it countless times. Dunkirk is his next best movie imo. It’s not really close. Easily one of the best movies of recent memory. After that, Dark Knight probably gets the nod. That really did take the super hero movie to a new level. His other films are a mixed bag for me. Very enjoyable but not sure they hold up to rewatches. Note I haven’t seen Insomnia since it came out and haven’t yet seen Tenet.
I adore Memento, BTW. Great movie.
I still have the special edition DVD. All the controls to get the movie to play, the sounds controls, etc. are a puzzle to find. Frustrating as heck, but it totally fits that movie.

(IMO, Inception is his best movie.)

Thank you! I was beginning to wonder if I was on an island. I remember walking out of the theater after Inception and thinking that was the best movie I ever saw or ever will see. That view has been tempered a bit over the passage of time, but it is still top five for me and easily one of the greatest theater experiences I’ve had.

Memento is a masterpiece and I’ve seen it countless times. Dunkirk is his next best movie imo. It’s not really close. Easily one of the best movies of recent memory. After that, Dark Knight probably gets the nod. That really did take the super hero movie to a new level. His other films are a mixed bag for me. Very enjoyable but not sure they hold up to rewatches. Note I haven’t seen Insomnia since it came out and haven’t yet seen Tenet.
I still have the special edition DVD. All the controls to get the movie to play, the sounds controls, etc. are a puzzle to find. Frustrating as heck, but it totally fits that movie.

Thank you! I was beginning to wonder if I was on an island. I remember walking out of the theater after Inception and thinking that was the best movie I ever saw or ever will see. That view has been tempered a bit over the passage of time, but it is still top five for me and easily one of the greatest theater experiences I’ve had.
:hifive:

The thing is, it's arguable. IMO, Nolan is easily the best moviemaker of our generation. Memento, Inception, Dunkirk, and Interstellar are all movies that I consider to be masterpieces. That said, Inception was completely, utterly unique and I was completely blown away by what was presented. The other three just didn't have quite that much of an emotional impact on me, so Inception is a solid #1 over here.

:shrug: They did it for Steve Jobs, who was almost assuredly worse
Which is fine and isn't necessarily a knock on the movie. Personally, it takes away from the performance a bit, like a figure skater performing flawlessly on an easier routine. It was a good performance, but didn't wow me like it would had he won our hearts despite the warts. Anyway, I'm interested to hear everyone else's thoughts over the weekend.

My 18-year old son's first reaction when I told him we were all going to see Oppenheimer next week in 70mm IMAX.

"There's a 15-minute sex scene in it". :huh:

Probable Source: TikTok
My wife and I always look up the reasons for the ratings. We are probably far more conservative than the average people on here.

We have two teenagers (boy-17, girl-14) and don't just let them watch whatever. I'm honestly not sure that my daughter has ever seen a rated R movie.

I was hoping this movie would be OK, but the multiple F-bombs, a couple of gruesome deaths and the nudity means we won't be taking a family outing to see it, unfortunately.

My 18-year old son's first reaction when I told him we were all going to see Oppenheimer next week in 70mm IMAX.

My wife and I always look up the reasons for the ratings. We are probably far more conservative than the average people on here.

We have two teenagers (boy-17, girl-14) and don't just let them watch whatever. I'm honestly not sure that my daughter has ever seen a rated R movie.

I was hoping this movie would be OK, but the multiple F-bombs, a couple of gruesome deaths and the nudity means we won't be taking a family outing to see it, unfortunately.
I think it is more like 100,000 gruesome deaths.

Just saw it in IMAX. Good movie. I've seen Indy, MI part 1, and the Flash all in Imax.
This was just not that compelling. It's a story you follow but might not get into.

MI part 1 is to long but still good, Indy is good but the time travel thing is played out.
It seems I like the Flash more then most because I liked it just as much as the others.

There is a sex scene, but not 15 minutes long. Maybe five. There’s also a scene where implied post-coital sitting naked on opposing wingback chairs talking, which is normal, human post-coital behavior.
Kind of weird to have that in this movie, IMO.

There is a sex scene, but not 15 minutes long. Maybe five. There’s also a scene where implied post-coital sitting naked on opposing wingback chairs talking, which is normal, human post-coital behavior.
Kind of weird to have that in this movie, IMO.
I did not think the sex scenes were weird to have in it. Oppenheimer was a womanizer. Part of who he was.

Thought it was very, very well done.

Not sure it's in the best of the century discussion for me. But I'm still thinking about it for sure. It's been described as a movie that burns itself into your brain. The more it stays with me I could reassess that.

Ditto. I went to that in the theater by myself while my wife and in-laws went to see whatever Twilight movie was playing at the time.

Not sure it's in the best of the century discussion for me. But I'm still thinking about it for sure. It's been described as a movie that burns itself into your brain. The more it stays with me I could reassess that.
That’s about where I was too. Excellent movie — best of the century may be a bit too much hype.

Thought it was faithful to book, and did about as good a job as you can in acknowledging the moral issues involved. I may have liked a bit more of the science brought in, but that may have been too hard to really do in a movie like this.

It will definitely be in Best Picture conversation at the end of the year. Killers of the Flower Moon looks like it will be another solid contender. Cillian Murphy was great, but the Oscar will probably go to another random actor who put on 70 pounds for his role.

I saw it today and it was good but not great. Didn't think the sex scenes were over the top at all. Although I did go to concessions for the full frontal scene thank goodness.

I saw it today and it was good but not great. Didn't think the sex scenes were over the top at all. Although I did go to concessions for the full frontal scene thank goodness.
Didn't happen. Fake news.

I thought it was brilliant. Incredibly pigment and layered movie. It's definitely not for everyone but I give it 9/10.

I think it would be weird for people to agree on their favorite Nolan movie.

Music during the sex scene should have been I Melt With You by Modern English. Missed opportunity, that.

I think we generally agree he’s the best filmmaker of the 21st century (let’s say to emerge in the 2000s as Memento was a 2000 movie and put him on the map). Who is 2nd best?

Sorry if I wasn't clear, this excludes QT and PTA who were more of the 90s indie movement. Even though being a similar age to Nolan.

Last edited:
Funny how reviews in here make it sound not as amazing as critics make it sound. I'm guessing it's a long, boring, artsy film. Critics love that ****.
It's definitely long. I didnt think it was artsy. Boring is a matter of opinion I guess. I found it riveting.

Funny how reviews in here make it sound not as amazing as critics make it sound. I'm guessing it's a long, boring, artsy film. Critics love that ****.
Definitely long, but neither boring nor artsy. I called it excellent and definitely one that will be in Best Picture discussion, but just said best of the century may be too much.

I think we generally agree he’s the best filmmaker of the 21st century (let’s say to emerge in the 2000s as Memento was a 2000 movie and put him on the map). Who is 2nd best?
Tarantino >>>>> Nolan. I can sit down an watch Once Upon a Time in Hollywood or Inglorious Basterds for the millionth time, and each one will fly by like a 22-minute sitcom episode. The prospect of slogging through The Dark Knight again is a non-starter.

Tarantino >>>>> Nolan. I can sit down an watch Once Upon a Time in Hollywood or Inglorious Basterds for the millionth time, and each one will fly by like a 22-minute sitcom episode. The prospect of slogging through The Dark Knight again is a non-starter.
Yeah, even though they are pretty close in age, I tried to phrase the question to exclude QT since he broke out in the 90s and was part of that young Hollywood indie scene.

Also addressing this idea that Critics love it and audiences don't, it's got 93% critics and 94% audience scores on RT.

:shrug: They did it for Steve Jobs, who was almost assuredly worse
Which is fine and isn't necessarily a knock on the movie. Personally, it takes away from the performance a bit, like a figure skater performing flawlessly on an easier routine. It was a good performance, but didn't wow me like it would had he won our hearts despite the warts. Anyway, I'm interested to hear everyone else's thoughts over the weekend.
I think we have to accept that while they may try to be accurate in movies like this, that it’s still a Hollywood movie and their most important goal is to sell tickets. Things will be fictionalized to help sell and move the story. Obviously I’m not telling you what to be bothered by or not - and get your point.

I think we have to accept that while they may try to be accurate in movies like this, that it’s still a Hollywood movie and their most important goal is to sell tickets. Things will be fictionalized to help sell and move the story. Obviously I’m not telling you what to be bothered by or not - and get your point.
Which is fine and I'm not bothered by it. However, they took the easy road to creating a character we root for which affects how I rate the movie and the performance. Murphy's character didn't have a ton of depth and Nolan continuously portrayed him as a likeable guy. Show more depth and have us rooting for him despite his warts, then I'll be impressed.

For those in the 9 and 10 rating camp, what aspect of the movie did you think was done exceptionally well? Drama? Character development? Pacing?

My review: really good but maybe a little paint by numbers (sure Nolan uses multiple timelines but he always does). I would say it nails what it’s going for and for 3 hours it definitely flew by but I agree calling it the movie of the century is a little much.

Which is fine and I'm not bothered by it. However, they took the easy road to creating a character we root for which affects how I rate the movie and the performance. Murphy's character didn't have a ton of depth and Nolan continuously portrayed him as a likeable guy. Show more depth and have us rooting for him despite his warts, then I'll be impressed.

For those in the 9 and 10 rating camp, what aspect of the movie did you think was done exceptionally well? Drama? Character development? Pacing?
Couple of things really stood out for me.

The acting was superb imo.
The storytelling was phenomenal. The way he jumped from one timeline to another actually served to tell the story. It wasn't gimicky, it was intrinsic to the way the story unfolded. Very well done.
The themes of power and fear were expertly conveyed, and he did it in two parts brilliantly - the first leading up to the development of the bomb was sweeping and epic, and the second as the hearings unfolded was intimate and personal. Both were jarring, and intense. I'm still processing the impact to me frankly.
I was also impressed with the way he brought us into the story by showing the conflict in Oppenheimer, which was a symbol for the conflict in America itself. We had to build the bomb, but in doing so we ushered in an era of fear and destruction unlike any in history. To a large degree, we as a society are as culpable as Oppenheimer himself. A great example of this was the scene after the bombs were dropped, and the movie ended on the exact same note, pulling it all together.
The movie covered so much that was right and wrong with the 20th century, but it was special in that it did it in a way that was approachable from a truly universal perspective imo. It didn't try to create villains and heroes out of ideologies, but made it clear that we are collectively heroes and we are collectively villains, and within any given ideology there are individuals who make good and bad choices.
I was also impressed with the way the story uses the mythos of the famous scientists of the 20th century to paint its themes, and especially the use of Einstein as a tragic hero himself.

Yeah, but to me you also chose to list a couple of QT's best vs. Nolan's overrated. I would sit through The Prestige and Dunkirk over and over and I like Batman Begins more than Dark Knight. 80s explained his reasoning, but for this specific example I still side with Nolan as QT's quirks irritate me a lot more than Nolan's do - e.g. his propensity for the N word and shlocky violence.

Denis Villeneuve?

Probably Cuaron or Inarritu for me.
Those popped into my head along with Bong Joon Ho.

The way he jumped from one timeline to another actually served to tell the story. It wasn't gimicky
Nolan always uses time in one form or another to tell his story. It’s like Wes Anderson’s color palette and flat composition.
I know, and typically I find that the time jumps are almost a character in themselves. I found them used to better effect in this film for whatever reason. Maybe "better" is the wrong word. Maybe it's more seamless. In other films where this happens, it almost seems jarring, like the time jumps pull you out of the story and make you reconsider the circumstances you are or were just viewing, but in this movie it seemed more like they moved the story along almost naturally. Like, I don't know how he would have told such a complex story to such great effect without them.

Here's a great review that I think hits all the high points and what I left the theater thinking about.

Link

"...the film's furiously entropic tendencies complement the theoretical discussions of the how's and why's of the individual and collective personality. To greater and lesser degrees, all of the characters are appearing before a tribunal and bring called to account for their contradictions, hypocrisies, and sins. The tribunal is out there in the dark. We've been given the information but not told what to decide, which is as it should be."

I would say not just the characters, but we the viewers as well are called to reflect on these aspects or ourselves.

I actually can't wait to see this again...

I thought it was a 10/10 but I studied the sciences in school (physics minor) and am a Nolan fanboy so it was right up my alley on several levels.

It was the perfect film for me.
This isn't sounding like my thing, but I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes the perfect combination of filmmaker, cast, and subject matter comes along and it just nails a particular niche that you didn't even know was there. Glad this landed in that spot for you.

I thought it was a 10/10 but I studied the sciences in school (physics minor) and am a Nolan fanboy so it was right up my alley on several levels.

I thought they did a good job of making the science simple enough that most people probably got the idea even if they had no idea what he was really talking with the dual nature of light or what deuterium is.

This isn't sounding like my thing, but I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes the perfect combination of filmmaker, cast, and subject matter comes along and it just nails a particular niche that you didn't even know was there. Glad this landed in that spot for you.
How come? It’s pretty much exactly made for anyone with an interest in 20th century history. Which I think is right up your alley.

It's definitely long. I didnt think it was artsy. Boring is a matter of opinion I guess. I found it riveting.
Talked to my dad today. He liked the movie but did complain that it was artsy. Eye of the beholder I guess.

That’s about where I was too. Excellent movie — best of the century may be a bit too much hype.

Thought it was faithful to book, and did about as good a job as you can in acknowledging the moral issues involved. I may have liked a bit more of the science brought in, but that may have been too hard to really do in a movie like this.

It will definitely be in Best Picture conversation at the end of the year. Killers of the Flower Moon looks like it will be another solid contender. Cillian Murphy was great, but the Oscar will probably go to another random actor who put on 70 pounds for his role.

It’s the current favorite according to this site:

That said, I have a feeling the Killers of the Flower Moon overtakes it with the oddsmakers when it opens in October.

Users who are viewing this thread