What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Osi and Kiwi (1 Viewer)

Giants Homer/Fan... Osi will not split a thing, nor will either be moved inside. Chances are if all goes well next season KiWi will probably resume their mission of making him a strong side linebacker as stupid as it is. Tuck/Osi will be holding down the bookends all game, don't see a serious rotation with either.

While that's likely the popular opinion based on how the Giants have played their cards up to this point, I think it's too soon to get a clear picture on how they'll use these guys next year. There's a very good chance Spag's will leave the Giants to be some other team's Head Coach. Whoever the new guy is may elect to play his cards differently. Bear in mind too that there there are some quality outside linebackers that will hit the free agent market this offseason (I believe Dansby will be available). Giants may elect to chase one of them to then permanently keep Kiwi as a pass rusher. Dallas Cowboys of the early 90's proved you can do a lot of damage by simply rotating fresh guys in on the line.

While that's likely the popular opinion based on how the Giants have played their cards up to this point, I think it's too soon to get a clear picture on how they'll use these guys next year. There's a very good chance Spag's will leave the Giants to be some other team's Head Coach. Whoever the new guy is may elect to play his cards differently. Bear in mind too that there there are some quality outside linebackers that will hit the free agent market this offseason (I believe Dansby will be available). Giants may elect to chase one of them to then permanently keep Kiwi as a pass rusher. Dallas Cowboys of the early 90's proved you can do a lot of damage by simply rotating fresh guys in on the line.
I would love for the Giants to sign a great OLB... it just isn't going to happen. We never make a huge splash in FA unless its a complete necessity. The Gaints front office is big on in house players, unless we draft them and breed them... we probably aren't going to sign them. They'll just have success turning jeff feagles into a strong side linebacker and he'll probably play pretty good (or whatever play we see potential in next). I like Kehl alot... he's young... but talented. Wilkinson hasn't really opened my eyes, he was pretty hyped coming out of college and every year they keep saying how he's not ready... leads me to believe he's not really ever going to be ready to start. Pierce is great in the middle, I would seriously love to see us sign a big name linebacker considering I think that's our weakest point... we just have a great line so they are never hung out to dry.

I agree with you to a point on the Giants tendency to avoid chasing big name free agents. This is something they never used to do but seemed to be more amenable to in recent years. I'm not sure if it was a byproduct of Accorsi knowing he was going out the door and not wanting to wait for some of the youth to develop or simply just a change in philosophy but the Giants definitely seem more willing to explore free agency than they were say 10 years ago. The Plax signing is evidence of this. They also wooed Rod Coleman a few years back when he was leaving the Raiders and thought they had him signed until Atlanta stole him away at the 11th hour. That being said I tend to agree that I'd be really surprised if the Giants chased a guy like Dansby as they would have to compete in a high priced bidding war.

I really liked Wilkinson coming out of Georgia Tech. I think he finally shed the label of "not being ready" but unfortunately hasn't been able to stay healthy long enough to build a case for himself. I see him going the way of Barrett Green a few years back and band-aiding himself off the team. He simply hasn't made a mark when given opportunities.

Giants are likely convinced they can continue patching 1 linebacker spot with reliable veteran play as it's worked so far (Kawika Mitchell and now Danny Clark). I actually think Pierce's play has slipped a but there's so much talent around him that he typically doesn't get exposed. I like Kehl and think he'll be a steady if unspectacular option (similar to the way Emmons was for the Eagles) for several years. Goff, similar to Blackburn, is a nice depth player but not a guy I want starting for long stretches.

Feagles?

I know we're talking LB not secondary but I'm a bit surprised Kenny Phillips hasn't seized a starting safety spot yet. I think Coughlin is showing some loyalty to his veterans (which is a funny word to use when describing Butler and Johnson). Both are weak links in the chain but their flaws are covered by the pass rush. I know Coaches like to avoid playing rookies in the secondary as learning mistakes typically cost 6 points but Phillips already seems better than both options. He has been getting more playing time but it seems to be in the nickel and dime sets, not in place of either guy. I love what I've seen from Phillips already. The guy is a great tackler. He's made a lot of stops in the open field that prevented big gains. He's also showing glimpses of being a frightening blitzer. He plays amazingly smart for a rookie (I've seen him pull up at the last second to avoid roughing the passer calls on multiple occasions). Looks like another great pick by Reese.

Users who are viewing this thread