What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (2 Viewers)

Two medium Yukon gold potatoes- 220 calories

A little olive oil - depends how much you use but 50 calories max. 

Microwave potatoes for 3 minutes. Preheat air fryer to 400.   Cut microwaved potatoes into fries. Separate and pat dry because they stick to each other. 

Cook for 5 minutes.  Add a little olive oil,  salt, black pepper, and any onion, garlic or chili/chipotle/cayenne pepper if desired.  Put back in air fryer until desired doneness, usually 5 to 8 min for me but i like them well done. Depends how thinb you cut them too. 

Really filling snack that feels like I'm cheating and it doesn't take long to make.  
I have been doing a lot of potato wedges. 1-2 potatoes, cut into 8ths lengthwise, spray with olive oil, season, cook at 400 for 35 minutes. I dip them in hummus or this chipotle bean dip that I make. 

I did my FTP (functional threshold power) test on the peloton today. It’s basically the amount of power you can reliably sustain over an hour. I came in at 190 watts. Curious to see if that improves by the end of the 25 day program. My wife said she felt good about her score, but then when I told her mine she got embarrassed that she is way out of shape and refused to tell me her score. Hopefully she keeps it up and this doesn’t kill her motivation because she is out of shape.  

Breakfast was dunkin drive thru coffee with milk and a turkey bacon egg and cheese on an English muffin... 426 calories. 

Lunch buffalo chicken sandwich from Cumberlands, and a small coffee with a splash of milk. 498 calories. 

Dinner 6oz salmon, a Yukon gold potato and a huge plate of broccoli and cauliflower. 570 calories and it was delicious 

At no point in there would the kale and chia vegan smoothie community day i was being healthy... and yet 110g protein 20g fiber 2120mg sodium (plus some table salt for the fries but still not bad).

1494 calories for the day. I'm getting back in the swing of this.  @Otis let's do this together again 

I forgot to post. Walked outside for the first time in almost three months. I think I have a shortened route that will work.

Also, about my mile pace. It was 21:44, and that was too fast. I need something in about the 24-25 minute range. Related: we're going to stop talking about my mile pace. I don't blame anyone else, but I put pressure on myself to lower those times, spending 25-30% of the time injured. It's just pointless to pretend I'm 34 when I'm 60. The important part of the walking program is 45 minutes six days a week, not the speed.

The scale says I lost 0.6 pounds last week. Stopped the bleeding, at least.

Also, about my mile pace. It was 21:44, and that was too fast. I need something in about the 24-25 minute range. Related: we're going to stop talking about my mile pace. I don't blame anyone else, but I put pressure on myself to lower those times, spending 25-30% of the time injured. It's just pointless to pretend I'm 34 when I'm 60. The important part of the walking program is 45 minutes six days a week, not the speed.

:thumbup:   I love this.

Well, it looks like I need a place to be accountable, and I'm here every day, so here goes.

As some might remember, I've lost a lot of weight a few times in the past.  And have also opined on weight loss and nutrition a fair bit.  And I always gain it back (to be fair, I've acknowledged that is always likely in the past).

Anyway, I got up to me heaviest ever.  Well over three bills.  And I was diagnosed this week with diabetes.  So I'm going to do less opining and just try to check in with how it's going.

I had actually already started a new weight control program before my physical.  And for whatever reason (obviously a ton of water and what not) I've dropped a lot in the first week.  And I actually feel 1000 times better than I have in about two years after only about a week of eating mindfully.  The diagnosis is probably good in that it reinforces that I just have to look at certain things as a habit.  Weighing myself.  At least writing down what I eat (if not necessarily the calories and macronutrients).  And moving as much as I can (new Fitbit purchased).

So much of the nutrition information online is terribly presented and from a ton of different angles, so I'm glad I'll be monitoring my blood sugar everyday and making decisions based on what foods seem to do to me.  

So we've reached the portion of the program where I begin fantasizing that I have a 50lb benign tumor hiding somewhere in my body which explains the weight gain. Since that seems slightly unlikely, I'm restarting my 100 day challenge from a couple of years ago tomorrow.

100 consecutive days of a minimum 30mins of sustained elevated heart rate. In the past I've used running, swimming, and disc golf the most. Since we have moved to the mountains now, I will be adding hiking and kayaking to the mix as long when the weather cooperates.

Tomorrow I'll start with a run/walk. See you in the morning...

138g protein

13g fiber

2938 mg sodium

Under calories, no alcohol.  Had some birthday cake i didn't really want and a slice of pizza instead of three slices which is good. Built some play equipment for my kid's birthday and I am old man sore and might not walk for a week but he's happy so it's like 80% worth it.  If this weren't lent i would probably be drinking wine right now before crashing but instead I'm just going to bed early. 

At least writing down what I eat (if not necessarily the calories and macronutrients). 

So much of the nutrition information online is terribly presented and from a ton of different angles
Curious about these two if you don't mind sharing your thoughts.  I've been pretty happy with myfitnesspal for calorie tracking and I use it for protein fiber and sodium too.  Do you use an app like that or literally write it down or ?

Are there any things in particular you think are poorly written?   

And is this type 1 or 2 for you? 

Curious about these two if you don't mind sharing your thoughts.  I've been pretty happy with myfitnesspal for calorie tracking and I use it for protein fiber and sodium too.  Do you use an app like that or literally write it down or ?

Are there any things in particular you think are poorly written?   

And is this type 1 or 2 for you? 
I don't think I was even told, but it's certainly Type 2.

Understanding that you're inviting me to opine, let me answer with the caveat (which we can agree will be a running caveat going forward) that I could be full of ####.

1.  Myfitnesspal is a great tool that I've used successfully myself in the past.  But I'm not sure that it was always giving me an accurate reflection of the number of calories I ate in a day, and if it did, it did so by kind of encouraging me to buy prepared foods that weren't as healthy as what I could make myself.  In other words, unless I was weighing everything I cooked for myself and ate, there was going to be some variation.  In restaurants, the variation is probably greater.  Think of Chipotle.  If you ask for guacamole, there's no telling how big a blob they're throwing on burrito bowl.  Probably the most accurate count you're going to get is for some prepared frozen meal. 

In any case, I've heard of studies that show that people who calorie count typically underestimate their calories by as much as a couple hundred a day.  When you add in that all the estimates of our basal metabolism are complete guesses, then I think it's tough to rely on calorie counting as a way to ensure you're running a caloric deficit unless  subtract an extra few hundred calories from your daily total as a buffer.  For people who have a lot to lose, it can be demotivating to think you're running a 1,000 calorie a day deficit and not see results that reflect that.  Finally, I think that the more steps there are to the routine, the less likely you'll keep it up.  So if I'm having to weigh everything, enter every macronutrient for a new food, etc., I think it's less likely I'll keep doing it when I'm not seeing big weight losses to motivate me to stay on track. 

The program I'm on now (and this is not an endorsement) is called Omada.  It's offered by my wife's firm for employess and family.  You're put in an "online" group with a virtual fitness coach.  You enter your meals, but not any macronutrients and there's no database.  You can synch you fitbit account so the coach can see your steps and you can enter any other activity.  And, kind of like Noom, you are given weekly "lessons" about nutrition or psychology to read every week.  What I'm finding is that even though I'm not entering macronutrients or weighing things, entering the meals online is still making me mindful of what I'm choosing.  I'm trying to stick to 5oz or so portions of protein.  I'm mostly replacing starches with green vegetables (if I have white rice, I limit it to 1/2 cup cooked).  And I think that part is probably 95% of what's helpful about MyFitness Pal.  If I have to write it down, I'm less likely to just cave and eat the pizza I ordered for my family instead of the meal I can cook for myself.

This is becoming a big wall of text, so I'll answer question 2 in another post.

2.  I'm mostly talking about YouTube videos here, but some websites as well.  Because of the diagnosis, I was doing some googling, both about the medication I'm being put on, and on managing diabetes and diet in general.  One of the guys that came up early was Dr. Jason Fung, a Canadian Nephrologist who advocates a low carb diet and fasting for management of diabetes.  So I watched an interview he gave, where he spent a long time talking about how the health care industry treats diabetes wrong by always prescribing drugs that lower blood glucose without treating insulin resistance.  And I found that curious, because I was prescribed Metformin.  And I understand that Metformin is the most prescribed diabetes medication (and in fact the fourth most prescribed medication in the United States) and the first medication prescribed for most people when they're diagnosed with diabetes.  And Metformin works by increasing cells' insulin sensitivity.  In other words, it absolutely is treating insulin resistance.  And while Dr. Fung may disagree with the nutritional recommendations of the ADA and other organizations, it seems disingenuous to say that their recommendations, designed to get patients to lose weight and not eat in ways that spike their blood sugar is not also a treatment meant to correct insulin resistance.  They just disagree on the proper method.  Fung might be right about eating a low carb diet and fasting (although I don't see any way I'd be able to incorporate the ambitious plan of fasting he advocates, which includes two 30 hour fasts in a week), but if he's disingenuous about this stuff, it's harder to trust him on the science.

Another set of videos that came up a lot was Plant Chompers.  And that comes from a vegan nutritional scientist who debunks low carb diet claims.  And part of the way he does that is point when people like Fung are being disingenuous or just wrong.  And one of the things that bothers him is the way that low carb gurus seem to assume a conspiracy or incompetence among scientists that led to the low-fat diet and the American food pyramid.  Fair enough.  But he also constantly seems to suggest that the popularity of low-carb diets is due to the influence of the beef lobby, whereas "there is no produce lobby."  And THAT's disingenuous.  Because if he means "produce lobby" to mean people who grow broccoli and spinach, well most low carb diets promote those foods (I'm not very familiar with the Carnivore Diet, which appears to advocate even more stringent carb elimination that induction level Atkins, so that may be a big exception).  Atkins, Primal, Paleo, Keto, whatever all pretty much allow for green vegetables ad libitum and most allow for even some fruit. EDIT:  And if he means crops like corn, wheat, and soy, I can assure you that they DO have large lobbying groups, not to mention companies like Monsanto. 

I watched another of his videos purporting to evaluate four books—two low fat and plant-based and two low-carb based—as eating plans to treat diabetes.  To start, he strangely said that he'd stay away from the "maddening" arguments about what is biochemically happening in our body when we process food.  Which is kind of a weird thing for a nutritional scientist evaluating medical advice to do.  I mean, that's kind of what the dispute is really about.  One of the books he evaluated was Fung's and he spends a lot of time talking about how Fung misrepresents what scientists have said.  And that's totally fair.  But he spends very little time evaluating Fung's recommendations.  At the end of the day, he ends up recommending the plant-based approach advocated by Neal Barnard.  But his reasoning has nothing to do with diabetes.  Instead he cites the studies showing red meat is a carcinogen and the impact the meat industry has on global warming.  And those are fair points in the larger debate of whether we should be eating meat, but seems kind of useless in evaluating whose book has the most insight into how to reverse diabetes.

The fact is that lots of people have reversed diabetes by using low carb diets.  And lots of people have reversed diabetes using a higher "good carb" plant based diet.  Almost all of those people have done so by losing weight and reducing the amount of fat stored in their body (including their muscles which process insulin).  Individuals can differ wildly in what diets are effective for them to lose weight.  Low carbs diets have generally worked for me in the past (although the evidence shows I have a hard time sticking to them when the big weight losses slow down).  Pretty much every diet would recommend eliminating or at least drastically reducing sugars and refined carbohydrates.  And for many people, that and some portion control, is probably enough (which seems to be reflected in the ADA guidelines).  

Last edited by a moderator:
138g protein

13g fiber

2938 mg sodium

Under calories, no alcohol.  Had some birthday cake i didn't really want and a slice of pizza instead of three slices which is good. Built some play equipment for my kid's birthday and I am old man sore and might not walk for a week but he's happy so it's like 80% worth it.  If this weren't lent i would probably be drinking wine right now before crashing but instead I'm just going to bed early. 

My son is just getting into basketball.  So I've been taking him to casually shoot some hoops for a few weekends now.  Saturday was the first time when I felt I could actually move around a bit and not just stand there while he shot.  We even kind of played a few games of one on one (though there really isn't any defense as he's still basically granny heaving at the basket).  Later that day, we played some soccer in the yard.  I was feeling really good about myself.

Yesterday I tried some soccer with him in the yard again, which morphed into "Touch" a game of his own invention that resembles Calvinball.  My body quickly reminded me that I am still a 50-year old obese man.  

Ate poorly and drank too much Friday and Saturday. 

Actually stayed off the booze and ate well yesterday.  Also got 10k steps and was very active yesterday.  One day at a time!

Already did a 50-min full practice yoga session today.  Plan to eat well today and stay off the booze.  

Keep up the good work!

I did 10 "miles" on the Peloton last night and started a "power zone" training program.  My wife started the same thing the day before I did, so I hope she follows through with the program until the end.... it seems pretty intense.
The Power Zone Training is great.  It gives you a good idea about how hard you should be working out.  It also provides a way to objectively test yourself every couple of months to see if you are progressing.

I did my FTP (functional threshold power) test on the peloton today. It’s basically the amount of power you can reliably sustain over an hour. I came in at 190 watts. Curious to see if that improves by the end of the 25 day program. My wife said she felt good about her score, but then when I told her mine she got embarrassed that she is way out of shape and refused to tell me her score. Hopefully she keeps it up and this doesn’t kill her motivation because she is out of shape.  
Peloton stresses that the FTP is not a competition, but it is hard not to look at it that way.  I purposely don't even look at the scoreboard when I am doing power zone rides.  During some of the rides Matt mentions his zones and it is scary to hear that his zone 3 is my zone 5.

My brother is totally into the Peloton and constantly on me to get one.  The thing is my brother has never had a weight problem  I think he hit 190 once and just eliminated regular sodas.  Anyway, he's 52 and still finishing in the top 5 of  his rides and beating Olympic athletes and ****.  And I'm not sure he really understands that I need to drop like 70 lbs before I even think about trying to do much more than walking.

I have been away for a bit but back at it today.

Weigh-in at 245 (so essentially no change in 2 weeks).  Considering I have not been totally focused on my diet this was a nice surprise to see i did not gain.

Business travel this week and next will make diet and exercise tough, but I will do my best to behave.

My brother is totally into the Peloton and constantly on me to get one.  The thing is my brother has never had a weight problem  I think he hit 190 once and just eliminated regular sodas.  Anyway, he's 52 and still finishing in the top 5 of  his rides and beating Olympic athletes and ****.  And I'm not sure he really understands that I need to drop like 70 lbs before I even think about trying to do much more than walking.
I have had my Peloton since Halloween, but really began really riding it since the first of the year.  I can say that I highly recommend it.  Having it in the house makes it very easy to squeeze in a 30 minute ride.  You also do not need to compete with others.  You can turn off the leader board and just work to what ever level you are comfortable with.  When you finish and see a puddle of sweat on the floor you will know that you worked hard.

I have had my Peloton since Halloween, but really began really riding it since the first of the year.  I can say that I highly recommend it.  Having it in the house makes it very easy to squeeze in a 30 minute ride.  You also do not need to compete with others.  You can turn off the leader board and just work to what ever level you are comfortable with.  When you finish and see a puddle of sweat on the floor you will know that you worked hard.
It sounds great (if a bit pricey).  I really enjoyed spin classes when I took them.

I'm just saying that from past experience, I know I can make quite a bit of progress focusing on eating better and getting 10,000 steps in a day. 

In the past, I have transitioned into using the treadmill.  And it feels great to get to the point of running three miles, and then 6 miles, and then 10 miles.  But I'm not sure it's always sped up my weight loss in the long run.  For one thing, it certainly made me hungrier, so the diet plan and the exercise plan were in a bit of opposition.  It would also feel to me, and I certainly can't prove it, that my body just got more efficient so that I wasn't burning the calories I thought I was.  In one of my earlier attempts to get fit, I got reasonably good at running.  I could run a sub-50 minute 10K.  And I couldn't get below 220 lbs (I'm 5' 10") to save my life.  

I certainly plan to start incorporating more strenuous exercise (and some strength stuff, which would probably be even more beneficial for me), but I want to ease into it, and I want to fight my nature to want to continuously make progress and get better at it this time, because I think that may be counter-productive for me.  

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
Myfitnesspal is a great tool that I've used successfully myself in the past.  But I'm not sure that it was always giving me an accurate reflection of the number of calories I ate in a day, and if it did, it did so by kind of encouraging me to buy prepared foods that weren't as healthy as what I could make myself.  In other words, unless I was weighing everything I cooked for myself and ate, there was going to be some variation.  In restaurants, the variation is probably greater.  Think of Chipotle.  If you ask for guacamole, there's no telling how big a blob they're throwing on burrito bowl.  Probably the most accurate count you're going to get is for some prepared frozen meal. 

In any case, I've heard of studies that show that people who calorie count typically underestimate their calories by as much as a couple hundred a day.  When you add in that all the estimates of our basal metabolism are complete guesses, then I think it's tough to rely on calorie counting as a way to ensure you're running a caloric deficit unless  subtract an extra few hundred calories from your daily total as a buffer.  For people who have a lot to lose, it can be demotivating to think you're running a 1,000 calorie a day deficit and not see results that reflect that.  Finally, I think that the more steps there are to the routine, the less likely you'll keep it up.  So if I'm having to weigh everything, enter every macronutrient for a new food, etc., I think it's less likely I'll keep doing it when I'm not seeing big weight losses to motivate me to stay on track. 
My experience is anecdotal so don't rely too heavily on it, but here's my thoughts on myfitnesspal.  

1) their estimate of TDEE is a rough estimate based on age, current weight and reported activity level.  It's not going to be perfect.  If you work in an office and run 5 miles a day, should you say you're active or sedentary?   My opinion is that you are sedentary and you should log your 5 mile run as exercise.  If you work retail and you're on your feet all day you should say you're moderately active.  You didn't do 8 hours of walking, but you were moving around all day.  If you're a brick layer you should probably active. It's just an estimate of NEAT. 

2) their estimate of calories burned from exercise is also imperfect. I probably burn more calories from running 6mph than a skinny teen running 7mph.  I burn more calories running 6mph when I'm out of shape than when I'm in shape.  I get that.  

3) their calorie totals for foods are also going to be inaccurate. If I get ten burritos from chipotle they might average out to 1045 calories but one my be 990 and another 1150 based on how much meat, rice, guac etc i get.   You're right about that too. 

4) that said, most of the reason people under report calories is that they lie to themselves. When your kid is done eating and leaves a nugget and handful of fries it is easy to add a hundred calories without logging it.   I find I'm most successful when i log every bite because it makes logging "sacred".  So I'm using the tool to promote mindful eating. 

5) i also find that - for me - if i plug in my current weight and sedentary, with a goal of losing 2 lbs per week, then log all of my exercise, then I really do lose about 2lbs per week almost on the nose.   If it seems to be off i can adjust.

6) when I'm first starting out, exercise is so much more important because A it's more difficult and B doing more in March means I'll be able to do much more in June.  So I'll log everything.   30 min walking at the mask.  Mowing the lawn for 60 minutes.  House work, vigorous for 30 min (maybe i was half assed cleaning for 60 min so I'll log 30).  I log all of it.  

7) i allow myself to eat those extra calories.  If i get on the treadmill and walk and burn 250 calories, i want to eat those 250 calories.  Sure, i could burn an extra .07 lbs by doing the exercise and not increasing my calorie chart.   But by letting myself eat the extra calories, i reward myself for putting in the time on the treadmill.  I WANT to work out so i can have a better dinner.  

8. I also set my weight loss to the maximum safe amount of 2 lbs per week and don't cheat.   I've gone downstairs for a 5 minute run before. I doubt it matters physically, but mentally it keeps my streak alive of not going over. And if i can make that streak "sacred", i reinforce the habit.  

9. It game-ifies the weight loss process, and for me that's very motivating. I like plugging in different dinners i might have tonight and thinking if i go for a run i can have that burrito or that second slice of pizza.   Or i can just have one slice and take a rest day.   I am in control.  

10.  It lets me track protein fiber and sodium, too.  Again, not perfectly.  But it's really easy to eat next to zero fiber in a day.  Tracking those helps me to choose healthier foods.   I like to be over 75g protein but would prefer to be well over 100 especially if i exercise or I'm going to be sore like yesterday.. i like to get 20g fiber minimum but prefer to be closer to 35-40... when i choose foods that make that possible while staying under calories, it keeps my sugar down indirectly because there's not enough calories left for sugar.  So I don't do low carb or keto or no sugar or Mediterranean or any other fad, i just vaguely eat better.  I put granola with flax seeds in my yogurt now, and I'm using Icelandic yogurt instead of Yoplait, and i add strawberries raspberries and blueberries, not because it's an approved food in my diet, but because I get a ton more fiber and protein for similar calories.  If you had told me to eat that daily five years ago I'd have said no way.  Now though it was my idea so I'm invested in it.  I even like it.  

Net net, it's good to have you here and I'm glad I'm back posting in here too even if we're not doing the exact same things.  I think mindful eating and some kind of tracking makes sense for anyone.  I definitely don't think myfitnesspal is the only tool or necessarily the best tool for those things.  But it's worked really well for me when I've stuck with it and helped me to reframe my relationship with healthy eating so i love talking about it and learning what other folks do so i can incorporate it.   I think bass mentioned spacing out your protein for better absorption, so i don't have carbs all day and then eat two whole chicken breasts for dinner.   Other fred is watching sodium so now i do too.  A bunch of people here did yoga so i picked it up and feel much better when i stick to it, even though i was 284.6 when i started this a couple years back.  It's good having accountability but also good having smart people you trust share stuff they've learned and I'm excited to have you here because you're definitely smarter than these schmucks.  They're not even reading this whole wall of text.  

The Flying Turtle said:
Peloton stresses that the FTP is not a competition, but it is hard not to look at it that way.  I purposely don't even look at the scoreboard when I am doing power zone rides.  During some of the rides Matt mentions his zones and it is scary to hear that his zone 3 is my zone 5.
Yea, I didn't even ask for her score.... she asked for mine.  The only thing I want for her is to get in shape and be motivated to do so.  It killed me to see her attitude take a turn over something like that.  I also told her it's not a competition and that my score should be considerably higher than hers because I'm bigger, stronger and I rode my actual bike 75-85 miles per week before we had the Peloton.  She is now 3 days behind and insisting that she will catch up, but having been in that position with other workouts I'm pretty certain she is going to fall too far behind on this program and just give up entirely.  

The Flying Turtle said:
This is what I really like about it.  If given the choice, I am hopping on an actual bike and getting outside, but it takes me about 10-15 minutes to get the bike prepared and get myself geared up so I like to at least get out for an hour if I'm doing all of that.  This takes me 5 minutes to gear up and I'm ready to get a quick ride in.  The puddle of sweat is a real thing, and I still need to get a heavy duty fan to combat this.

2.  I'm mostly talking about YouTube videos here, but some websites as well.  Because of the diagnosis, I was doing some googling, both about the medication I'm being put on, and on managing diabetes and diet in general.  One of the guys that came up early was Dr. Jason Fung, a Canadian Nephrologist who advocates a low carb diet and fasting for management of diabetes.  So I watched an interview he gave, where he spent a long time talking about how the health care industry treats diabetes wrong by always prescribing drugs that lower blood glucose without treating insulin resistance.  And I found that curious, because I was prescribed Metformin.  And I understand that Metformin is the most prescribed diabetes medication (and in fact the fourth most prescribed medication in the United States) and the first medication prescribed for most people when they're diagnosed with diabetes.  And Metformin works by increasing cells' insulin sensitivity.  In other words, it absolutely is treating insulin resistance.  And while Dr. Fung may disagree with the nutritional recommendations of the ADA and other organizations, it seems disingenuous to say that their recommendations, designed to get patients to lose weight and not eat in ways that spike their blood sugar is not also a treatment meant to correct insulin resistance.  They just disagree on the proper method.  Fung might be right about eating a low carb diet and fasting (although I don't see any way I'd be able to incorporate the ambitious plan of fasting he advocates, which includes two 30 hour fasts in a week), but if he's disingenuous about this stuff, it's harder to trust him on the science.

Another set of videos that came up a lot was Plant Chompers.  And that comes from a vegan nutritional scientist who debunks low carb diet claims.  And part of the way he does that is point when people like Fung are being disingenuous or just wrong.  And one of the things that bothers him is the way that low carb gurus seem to assume a conspiracy or incompetence among scientists that led to the low-fat diet and the American food pyramid.  Fair enough.  But he also constantly seems to suggest that the popularity of low-carb diets is due to the influence of the beef lobby, whereas "there is no produce lobby."  And THAT's disingenuous.  Because if he means "produce lobby" to mean people who grow broccoli and spinach, well most low carb diets promote those foods (I'm not very familiar with the Carnivore Diet, which appears to advocate even more stringent carb elimination that induction level Atkins, so that may be a big exception).  Atkins, Primal, Paleo, Keto, whatever all pretty much allow for green vegetables ad libitum and most allow for even some fruit. EDIT:  And if he means crops like corn, wheat, and soy, I can assure you that they DO have large lobbying groups, not to mention companies like Monsanto. 

I watched another of his videos purporting to evaluate four books—two low fat and plant-based and two low-carb based—as eating plans to treat diabetes.  To start, he strangely said that he'd stay away from the "maddening" arguments about what is biochemically happening in our body when we process food.  Which is kind of a weird thing for a nutritional scientist evaluating medical advice to do.  I mean, that's kind of what the dispute is really about.  One of the books he evaluated was Fung's and he spends a lot of time talking about how Fung misrepresents what scientists have said.  And that's totally fair.  But he spends very little time evaluating Fung's recommendations.  At the end of the day, he ends up recommending the plant-based approach advocated by Neal Barnard.  But his reasoning has nothing to do with diabetes.  Instead he cites the studies showing red meat is a carcinogen and the impact the meat industry has on global warming.  And those are fair points in the larger debate of whether we should be eating meat, but seems kind of useless in evaluating whose book has the most insight into how to reverse diabetes.

The fact is that lots of people have reversed diabetes by using low carb diets.  And lots of people have reversed diabetes using a higher "good carb" plant based diet.  Almost all of those people have done so by losing weight and reducing the amount of fat stored in their body (including their muscles which process insulin).  Individuals can differ wildly in what diets are effective for them to lose weight.  Low carbs diets have generally worked for me in the past (although the evidence shows I have a hard time sticking to them when the big weight losses slow down).  Pretty much every diet would recommend eliminating or at least drastically reducing sugars and refined carbohydrates.  And for many people, that and some portion control, is probably enough (which seems to be reflected in the ADA guidelines).  
I am not diabetic, so can't speak to the reversal qualities of various diets, but I did a whole food plant-based (WFPB) diet last year and it was heavily touted as a diet that will reverse type-2 diabetes.  It's rather restrictive in the sense that are supposed to eliminate "processed" food items and either eliminate or heavily restrict added sugar, salt and oil.

My issue has never been that I don't eat healthy foods, but I like to eat a lot of food.  I came to really enjoy the diet because it allowed me to basically eat whatever I wanted within the guidelines and it was almost impossible to eat more calories than I was burning.  The pounds flew off, I was satisfied, and it was actually pretty fun trying to make recipes that mimic what I had been eating, but within the confines of the diet.  

I don't do this diet anymore, but I do implement a lot of what I learned into my current diet and am having success.  I personally think the low-carb thing is ludicrous unless you're getting there by way of plants.  One of my friends who has always struggled with weight is constantly posting low-carb meals she is making for dinner and they all look like they cover up what they are missing with cheese.  She hasn't lost any weight as far as I can tell.  I know I could easily eat 2,000 calories worth of meat, eggs and cheese and not be satiated.  It's much more difficult to eat 2,000 calories worth of brown rice, beans and sweet potatoes.  

It sounds great (if a bit pricey).  I really enjoyed spin classes when I took them.

I'm just saying that from past experience, I know I can make quite a bit of progress focusing on eating better and getting 10,000 steps in a day. 

In the past, I have transitioned into using the treadmill.  And it feels great to get to the point of running three miles, and then 6 miles, and then 10 miles.  But I'm not sure it's always sped up my weight loss in the long run.  For one thing, it certainly made me hungrier, so the diet plan and the exercise plan were in a bit of opposition.  It would also feel to me, and I certainly can't prove it, that my body just got more efficient so that I wasn't burning the calories I thought I was.  In one of my earlier attempts to get fit, I got reasonably good at running.  I could run a sub-50 minute 10K.  And I couldn't get below 220 lbs (I'm 5' 10") to save my life.  

I certainly plan to start incorporating more strenuous exercise (and some strength stuff, which would probably be even more beneficial for me), but I want to ease into it, and I want to fight my nature to want to continuously make progress and get better at it this time, because I think that may be counter-productive for me.  
Have you considered an actual bike as opposed to the Peloton?  There is obviously still an upfront cost involved, but there is no ongoing membership and you can use Strava (a free fitness app) to track your workouts and set goals for yourself. 

I can't exactly relate to your weight struggles, but I'm a pretty big guy and 2 years ago was probably pushing 250-260 (down to 188 now, yay!).  I found it taxing on my feet, knees and hips to walk/run, but cycling relieved all of that.  As long as I was pedaling, I knew I was getting a workout and I could do it at my own pace.  I found it to be a lot of fun exploring my city and the surrounding areas, discovering places I never knew existed as well as just seeing the natural beauty in things that you just don't get by driving a car. 

I know I push cycling in here a lot, but I've become super passionate about it and the reason I got started is mostly because my neighbors all rode bikes and kept encouraging me to come out with them. 

So what yoga are you guys doing?  Am I going to have to give DDP money?  BANG!

https://youtu.be/oBu-pQG6sTY

This is the one most of us started with

30 Day s of Yoga with Adriene is great.  But an even simpler set of poses is Sun Salutation.  I've been doing a few rounds of this most days for a couple years and it's really helped my lower back.  You can go through these sequences as many times as you want each day.  This is an option depending on what you want to accomplish.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wkztk6BgdXA/TOmdKOOZjoI/AAAAAAAAABA/r4EMZTY5ggw/s1600/SunSalutationFinal.jpg

My experience is anecdotal so don't rely too heavily on it, but here's my thoughts on myfitnesspal.  

1) their estimate of TDEE is a rough estimate based on age, current weight and reported activity level.  It's not going to be perfect.  If you work in an office and run 5 miles a day, should you say you're active or sedentary?   My opinion is that you are sedentary and you should log your 5 mile run as exercise.  If you work retail and you're on your feet all day you should say you're moderately active.  You didn't do 8 hours of walking, but you were moving around all day.  If you're a brick layer you should probably active. It's just an estimate of NEAT. 

2) their estimate of calories burned from exercise is also imperfect. I probably burn more calories from running 6mph than a skinny teen running 7mph.  I burn more calories running 6mph when I'm out of shape than when I'm in shape.  I get that.  

3) their calorie totals for foods are also going to be inaccurate. If I get ten burritos from chipotle they might average out to 1045 calories but one my be 990 and another 1150 based on how much meat, rice, guac etc i get.   You're right about that too. 

4) that said, most of the reason people under report calories is that they lie to themselves. When your kid is done eating and leaves a nugget and handful of fries it is easy to add a hundred calories without logging it.   I find I'm most successful when i log every bite because it makes logging "sacred".  So I'm using the tool to promote mindful eating. 

5) i also find that - for me - if i plug in my current weight and sedentary, with a goal of losing 2 lbs per week, then log all of my exercise, then I really do lose about 2lbs per week almost on the nose.   If it seems to be off i can adjust.

6) when I'm first starting out, exercise is so much more important because A it's more difficult and B doing more in March means I'll be able to do much more in June.  So I'll log everything.   30 min walking at the mask.  Mowing the lawn for 60 minutes.  House work, vigorous for 30 min (maybe i was half assed cleaning for 60 min so I'll log 30).  I log all of it.  

7) i allow myself to eat those extra calories.  If i get on the treadmill and walk and burn 250 calories, i want to eat those 250 calories.  Sure, i could burn an extra .07 lbs by doing the exercise and not increasing my calorie chart.   But by letting myself eat the extra calories, i reward myself for putting in the time on the treadmill.  I WANT to work out so i can have a better dinner.  

8. I also set my weight loss to the maximum safe amount of 2 lbs per week and don't cheat.   I've gone downstairs for a 5 minute run before. I doubt it matters physically, but mentally it keeps my streak alive of not going over. And if i can make that streak "sacred", i reinforce the habit.  

9. It game-ifies the weight loss process, and for me that's very motivating. I like plugging in different dinners i might have tonight and thinking if i go for a run i can have that burrito or that second slice of pizza.   Or i can just have one slice and take a rest day.   I am in control.  

10.  It lets me track protein fiber and sodium, too.  Again, not perfectly.  But it's really easy to eat next to zero fiber in a day.  Tracking those helps me to choose healthier foods.   I like to be over 75g protein but would prefer to be well over 100 especially if i exercise or I'm going to be sore like yesterday.. i like to get 20g fiber minimum but prefer to be closer to 35-40... when i choose foods that make that possible while staying under calories, it keeps my sugar down indirectly because there's not enough calories left for sugar.  So I don't do low carb or keto or no sugar or Mediterranean or any other fad, i just vaguely eat better.  I put granola with flax seeds in my yogurt now, and I'm using Icelandic yogurt instead of Yoplait, and i add strawberries raspberries and blueberries, not because it's an approved food in my diet, but because I get a ton more fiber and protein for similar calories.  If you had told me to eat that daily five years ago I'd have said no way.  Now though it was my idea so I'm invested in it.  I even like it.  

Net net, it's good to have you here and I'm glad I'm back posting in here too even if we're not doing the exact same things.  I think mindful eating and some kind of tracking makes sense for anyone.  I definitely don't think myfitnesspal is the only tool or necessarily the best tool for those things.  But it's worked really well for me when I've stuck with it and helped me to reframe my relationship with healthy eating so i love talking about it and learning what other folks do so i can incorporate it.   I think bass mentioned spacing out your protein for better absorption, so i don't have carbs all day and then eat two whole chicken breasts for dinner.   Other fred is watching sodium so now i do too.  A bunch of people here did yoga so i picked it up and feel much better when i stick to it, even though i was 284.6 when i started this a couple years back.  It's good having accountability but also good having smart people you trust share stuff they've learned and I'm excited to have you here because you're definitely smarter than these schmucks.  They're not even reading this whole wall of text.  
Wut?

79g protein

31g fiber

2411mg sodium

1948 calories, 453 calories burned with 16 min running, 37 min walking for a total of 5 net calories under 1500.

This definitely isn't scientific. I didn't weigh my portions, i took my kid to the local diner before school and got an omelet that i estimated at like 700 calories after comparing ihop and random diners,  and i also had 4 tostitos tonight that i counted because he was sharing and i didn't want to say no.   My 53rd minute on the treadmill was definitely more symbolic than anything but it keeps me honest knowing that I'll do this when i go over calories.  In the long run, time spent sticking to my diet and exercise has been a better predictor of my weight/health than the size of the margin of error in my calorie counting.  

Nice to see some people back, plus the newbies and the stalwarts.

As promised, I'm back at it today.  Mr. krista is in, too.  Knowing we had set March 7 as our "start anew" day on healthier lifestyles, we've gone especially wild with the eating and drinking the past few weeks.  The results are...ungood as expected.  So as of today, I plan to lose 30 pounds.  Again.  :(  

Back on WW and back to movement via yoga and walking/hiking.

Oh, funny/not funny tidbit.  I drank up all the wine in the house other than the very expensive stuff so that I wouldn't be tempted by it at home.  My doorbell rang about an hour ago, and what was it but my neighbor giving me a bottle of wine for something I had done for them.  ####.  :lol:   No, I haven't opened it and don't plan to.  We'll see how many days that lasts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see some people back, plus the newbies and the stalwarts.

As promised, I'm back at it today.  Mr. krista is in, too.  Knowing we had set March 7 as our "start anew" day on healthier lifestyles, we've gone especially wild with the eating and drinking the past few weeks.  The results are...ungood as expected.  So as of today, I plan to lose 30 pounds.  Again.  :(  

Back on WW and back to movement via yoga and walking/hiking.

Oh, funny/not funny tidbit.  I drank up all the wine in the house other than the very expensive stuff so that I wouldn't be tempted by it at home.  My doorbell rang about an hour ago, and what was it but my neighbor giving me a bottle of wine for something I had done for them.  ####.  :lol:   No, I haven't opened it and don't plan to.  We'll see how many days that lasts.
Every time I tell myself by X date I am going to get my #### together I tend to be wild and extra unhealthy from the time I set the date until the date arrives. 

Actually tracked all my food yesterday with MFP.  Probably the first time accurately in 3-4 months.  I was over by about 30 calories.  

Did a 50-min yin yoga session first thing this morning.  Then I went to the office and they have Insomnia cookies because it's 'return to the office' week.  FML.  

Will plan to eat and track my food today, but all those damn cookies are staring at me.  Plan to walk the dog later.  

Keep up the good work!

I ate 2 of some new fangled GS cookie. Chocolate and caramel something. Tasted like straight sugar and chemicals. Gross
I can't eat any of this stuff on my restricted diet, but I was shocked to learn these are crunchy.  My daughter is in GS so we've sold a bunch of these and the consensus is disappointment across the board.

Users who are viewing this thread