What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis in the Suburbs (1 Viewer)

Otis in the Suburbs

• Yes

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Right-O

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • You betcha

Votes: 40 57.1%

• Total voters
LAWN EMERGENCY

Literally just a few weeks ago, we moved in and had a small lawn out front. It was spotty and not the thickest, and had some dirt patches that weren't taken care of. Looked like it just needed a little TLC. So I make a mental note that one day I'll need to go out and seed or or water it or whatever and fix it. Maybe buy a couple small sod patches to cover the dirt.

I guess I haven't noticed this happen with all the construction and bigger things going on, but I look out the kitchen window today and see this.

wtf??? The whole thing can become that overrun with weeds that fast??? There's now more weeds than lawn -- it looks like I'll have to just tear the whole thing up and start from scratch. Right? As if I have any idea how to do that....
That arbor seems like it's a little low. Kids entrance?

LAWN EMERGENCY

Literally just a few weeks ago, we moved in and had a small lawn out front. It was spotty and not the thickest, and had some dirt patches that weren't taken care of. Looked like it just needed a little TLC. So I make a mental note that one day I'll need to go out and seed or or water it or whatever and fix it. Maybe buy a couple small sod patches to cover the dirt.

I guess I haven't noticed this happen with all the construction and bigger things going on, but I look out the kitchen window today and see this.

wtf??? The whole thing can become that overrun with weeds that fast??? There's now more weeds than lawn -- it looks like I'll have to just tear the whole thing up and start from scratch. Right? As if I have any idea how to do that....
That arbor seems like it's a little low. Kids entrance?
Negative. Full adult height.

This is a temporary kitchen fix. In our actual full on renovation we will do everything right, including full top end granite everywhere. I'm just looking for a cheap short term improvement to the crappy countertop in there now.
What's the current countertop? Sorry I missed any kitchen pics if you posted them. I guess five years is an interesting over/under for what you're thinking so I'll retract the idiotic comment.
Some shots of awful kitchen and awful countertop here.I also added a couple shots of the marble mantle on the fireplace that looks like it comes out of an 80's flick. On my neverending list of things to do is pull out those marble slabs, throw them in the trunk of a Delorean, and replace them with a nice slab of wood with some interesting molding around the edge.
Might be the first time I've seen stained wainscoting; always see it painted white.
Painter will get to the kitchen this week -- we're actually having him paint that white along with the cabinets. We'll be throwing down some new laminate flooring on top of that awful linoleum. The appliances are new. Once he paints, the last item we can improve is that terrible countertop. I'd love to swap in a slab of granite or some other stone. Even if it costs 1-2k, if we get 5+ years use out of it before doing a major upgrade, I'd be OK with that. Throw up an OBacksplash and it could look halfway decent.It's presently quite a crapfest though.
A word of warning with the painting white cabinets, you have to be extremely diligent with keeping them clean. We painted ours white and with 2 kids, forget about it. I've given up keeping them clean.A cheaper alternative for the countertop is corian which HD sells. Stuff looks way better then laminate, but cheaper then stone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same craptastic cabinets. I mean identical. Weird. I have white 2"x2" tile as counter tops. I'd love to redo the whole thing, blow out the wall behind the stove and open up the room. But I don't have the cash :cry:
My sister's were worse, similar but worse, just ugly as sin though. She found instructions online for "antiquing" them with white (wash) stain. She did it herself and screwed on some good looking handles and knobs and for less than $150 bucks her cabinets look great. My mom got a quote for 15 grand for new and couldn't do it, so she bought new cabinet doors and I refaced the old frames. Really simple and everything looked brand new for a stupid low number (less than a grand). She's happy and many have asked how much she paid for new cabinets. :shrug:Also Otis, you didn't answer my questions about that lawn, but as long as the grass isn't Bermuda and the primary weed not a perennial, with a couple simple tricks, you can sod right over it, without all the pain of digging it up, dosing your property with gallons of poison, and praying seed fills in nicely. A nice thick new sod lawn can be had in a day with proper, much much easier, preparation. All that weed is what us farmers call green fertilizer. Agree with NutterButter about the white painted cabinets and further, painted cabinets over previously wood stained ones often have a cheap look to them, imo.

CC -- we really dig that antique white wash look. Any info on how this is done? Maybe we will do that ourselves instead of have them painted

CC -- we really dig that antique white wash look. Any info on how this is done? Maybe we will do that ourselves instead of have them painted
Hah. For all the 100s of home improvement projects I've done for myself and this family of mine, I literally had nothing to do with this. I know I was over there and the doors were in the garage and her son was bi###ing about the job. However, I think it was as simple as rubbing in a specific bleach stain with rags.Just to be clear we're talking about the creamy white wash look that has the rust/red/brownishness in the creases and seams and stuff? This is her new look.

Hah. For all the 100s of home improvement projects I've done for myself and this family of mine, I literally had nothing to do with this. I know I was over there and the doors were in the garage and her son was bi###ing about the job. However, I think it was as simple as rubbing in a specific bleach stain with rags.Just to be clear we're talking about the creamy white wash look that has the rust/red/brownishness in the creases and seams and stuff? This is her new look.
Yup exactly. Actually we just did some research and the term we are looking for is glaze. Turns out the way to do this is just have our painter go ahead with a coat or two of off white paint and then we can do the glazing effect ourselves.

Suck it kraftmaid.

Off to perform open heart surgery on myself. BBL
:goodposting: Don't get the hate in here. Dude probably works a ****load of hours, has an infant kid, and you cats expect him to be all Tim Taylor-like. Life's to short, this dude gets it.
Yup. But to be fair, the people here knocking him probably work 25 hours a week at $10 per.
I recommended paying somebody to do everything from the beginning. Only way to go IMO.

Hey Otis, some idiot painted over the bricks around your fireplace?!
I think it looks ok :shrug:To be honest, I'm more meh about the paint color than anything else. A little more yellow and a little less grey than I wanted. Paint on one of those cards always looks a little different in a full room.

Hey Otis, some idiot painted over the bricks around your fireplace?!
I think it looks ok :shrug:To be honest, I'm more meh about the paint color than anything else. A little more yellow and a little less grey than I wanted. Paint on one of those cards always looks a little different in a full room.
Are you sure it is not a fire hazard?BTW, has the raccoon come back again? Maybe it is not a good idea to be too friendly to neighborhood animals. Last Thursday I was a little late in the morning and I found the chipmunk waiting for me right outside my front door, INSIDE THE BUILDING!!! Now I am afraid it will break into my apartment if I don't get out on time. :unsure:

This is a temporary kitchen fix. In our actual full on renovation we will do everything right, including full top end granite everywhere. I'm just looking for a cheap short term improvement to the crappy countertop in there now.
What's the current countertop? Sorry I missed any kitchen pics if you posted them. I guess five years is an interesting over/under for what you're thinking so I'll retract the idiotic comment.
Some shots of awful kitchen and awful countertop here.I also added a couple shots of the marble mantle on the fireplace that looks like it comes out of an 80's flick. On my neverending list of things to do is pull out those marble slabs, throw them in the trunk of a Delorean, and replace them with a nice slab of wood with some interesting molding around the edge.
Might be the first time I've seen stained wainscoting; always see it painted white.
Painter will get to the kitchen this week -- we're actually having him paint that white along with the cabinets. We'll be throwing down some new laminate flooring on top of that awful linoleum. The appliances are new. Once he paints, the last item we can improve is that terrible countertop. I'd love to swap in a slab of granite or some other stone. Even if it costs 1-2k, if we get 5+ years use out of it before doing a major upgrade, I'd be OK with that. Throw up an OBacksplash and it could look halfway decent.It's presently quite a crapfest though.
I may be wrong but quartz countertops may be less $ but have a lot of the look of granite slabbbb. Also, I knocked out glass tile backsplash wall project in two nights since tile had to set, prob couple hours each night after baby was asleep and I could make a mess. Careful measurements were key to minimizing cuts to make easier. Thought the grout would spread easier into the cracks but looks sick. Easy.

I may be wrong but quartz countertops may be less $ but have a lot of the look of granite slabbbb. Also, I knocked out glass tile backsplash wall project in two nights since tile had to set, prob couple hours each night after baby was asleep and I could make a mess. Careful measurements were key to minimizing cuts to make easier. Thought the grout would spread easier into the cracks but looks sick. Easy.
I've done a backsplash previously, and it really wasn't too bad. As you said, it was basically a weekend project, but I was happy with the result. A whole lot better than a white wall there. This time I'd like to do something a little more planned/interesting than last time. Need to see how the rest of the kitchen comes out and then look for some inspiration.

'Otis said:
'bushdocda said:
'Otis said:
'NutterButter said:
'Otis said:
'Chaos Commish said:
'Otis said:
I've done a backsplash previously, and it really wasn't too bad. As you said, it was basically a weekend project, but I was happy with the result. A whole lot better than a white wall there. This time I'd like to do something a little more planned/interesting than last time. Need to see how the rest of the kitchen comes out and then look for some inspiration.
:thumbup:
'Otis said:
Screw these guys. I'm DIY and DIH from here on out.
:lmao:

That other kitchen looks way nicer then your current one. You should move there.
Trust me, I know. Wife and I were just commenting about our downgrade. If we had the finishings here that we have in our apartment, it would be a palace. Really, the one and only massive eyesore, once all the current work is done, will be the kitchen. If we had bags of money somewhere we would gut it instantly. But that one we want to go big and do right, and it'll be pricey, and we decided we'd wait. But we've both commented on numerous occasions about how much we miss our old kitchen. :kicksrock:

What's screwy about these people who did whatever renovations here is the way it seems like they just had extra materials and would throw it elsewhere.

The marble on the stupid fireplace mantle was also used as shelving in the master bath. That stupid wainscoating/beaded wood on the built-in benches in the kitchen is exactly the same stuff that makes up the ceiling in the den. Just because you had extra crap didn't mean you needed to repurpose it somewhere else, especially when it doesn't go...

What's screwy about these people who did whatever renovations here is the way it seems like they just had extra materials and would throw it elsewhere.The marble on the stupid fireplace mantle was also used as shelving in the master bath. That stupid wainscoating/beaded wood on the built-in benches in the kitchen is exactly the same stuff that makes up the ceiling in the den. Just because you had extra crap didn't mean you needed to repurpose it somewhere else, especially when it doesn't go...
Sometimes people don't have unlimited money.

What's screwy about these people who did whatever renovations here is the way it seems like they just had extra materials and would throw it elsewhere.

The marble on the stupid fireplace mantle was also used as shelving in the master bath. That stupid wainscoating/beaded wood on the built-in benches in the kitchen is exactly the same stuff that makes up the ceiling in the den. Just because you had extra crap didn't mean you needed to repurpose it somewhere else, especially when it doesn't go...
Sometimes people don't have unlimited money.
"Well, I finished this mantle with this marble from 1983, and it looks killer. If only I had unlimited money, I wouldn't have to take the scraps and make random marble shelving all over the bathroom! Damnit!"

'Chaos Commish said:
'Otis said:
That's not whitewashed. That's just "distressed" or "faux antique" is very easy.

tdoss notes for the last 4 pages? Been out of the loop and haven't had time to read the blog.
Most of the FFA builds their own homes from scratch and would re-side their own homes, do 20k masonry jobs on their own, and the like. Really, to sum up, the FFA has unlimited time, equipment and skill.They are, after all, Footballguys.

'bushdocda said:
'Otis said:
'NutterButter said:
'Otis said:
'Chaos Commish said:
'Otis said:
O-If you are just going for a temporary upgrade on the counter tops, don't rule out laminate.

They make some pretty attractive patterns in laminate now (trying to replicate the granite patterns). Check out the pics here titled "get inspired".

'bushdocda said:
'Otis said:
'NutterButter said:
'Otis said:
'Chaos Commish said:
'Otis said:
O-If you are just going for a temporary upgrade on the counter tops, don't rule out laminate.

They make some pretty attractive patterns in laminate now (trying to replicate the granite patterns). Check out the pics here titled "get inspired".
Not a bad posting here. Since it's temporary, as long as it looks halfway decent, maybe that's the way to go. I know I'll get a _lol5k_ laugh at this, but I wonder if this is something I can have Home Depot install a lot easier/better than I would?But you make a good point here. :thinking:

We're looking into some laminate options now for the countertop. The laminate flooring we ordered today (Link) is actually pretty nice -- we were pleasantly surprised at how nice it was when we saw it in person this weekend. It's funny but even though it's only laminate it's still not super cheap -- ran us around 500 bucks for just this stuff (plus tax and shipping). But I think it's going to make a huge improvement over that awful floor in the kitchen now...

Given how decent this stuff looks, and the pics I am seeing online of nice looking laminate countertops, I'm starting to think maybe it's not a bad option for the countertops too. On the flipside, we looked at the other types of stone and they were only 500-1k less than the granite we really liked, so if laminate ends up costing in the same range and won't save us a ton, we may go granite. But at least looking at this option, as a short-medium term fix, seems to make sense.

tdoss notes for the last 4 pages? Been out of the loop and haven't had time to read the blog.
Most of the FFA builds their own homes from scratch and would re-side their own homes, do 20k masonry jobs on their own, and the like. Really, to sum up, the FFA has unlimited time, equipment and skill.They are, after all, Footballguys.
linkI don't get the "lets fix stuff up over the next couple of years" mentality either.

linkI don't get the "lets fix stuff up over the next couple of years" mentality either.
I'm cool with it for certain things, and that's one reason we wanted an old house. But for the basics -- the things that we needed to do right now to not live in a filthy eyesore, and to have a home we are comfortable in/proud of -- I don't see why we would wait if we can afford to have someone do it right now. :shrug: But once we get through this round of work, we'll be comfortable with it and we can deal with the other projects long term (some ourselves, and others by pros).

Isn't it mostly because Otis began the thread talking about he was excited about all the home improvement projects he was going to tackle, and how he was going to be mowing the lawn, and he would be outside every night relaxing with a drink in the summer breezes? And then he's done pretty much none of that stuff and probably never will.

Isn't it mostly because Otis began the thread talking about he was excited about all the home improvement projects he was going to tackle, and how he was going to be mowing the lawn, and he would be outside every night relaxing with a drink in the summer breezes? And then he's done pretty much none of that stuff and probably never will.
I've spent plenty a night out in the back relaxing with a drink in the summer breezes.And when I get around to it I plan to take a truckload of weed killer to the lawn. Among other projects I've been working on (I replaced the front door knob and lock and knocker!!1 etc.)

Show of hands -- how many of you have ever re-sided your own home?
Show of hands -- how many have ever had the need to? I fixed a couple pieces myself and fixed a broken j-channel but have not resided it myself no need as of now...My father has twice... I would not do my house myself simply because I don't want to deal with a ladder. :shrug:

We're looking into some laminate options now for the countertop. The laminate flooring we ordered today (Link) is actually pretty nice -- we were pleasantly surprised at how nice it was when we saw it in person this weekend. It's funny but even though it's only laminate it's still not super cheap -- ran us around 500 bucks for just this stuff (plus tax and shipping). But I think it's going to make a huge improvement over that awful floor in the kitchen now...

Given how decent this stuff looks, and the pics I am seeing online of nice looking laminate countertops, I'm starting to think maybe it's not a bad option for the countertops too. On the flipside, we looked at the other types of stone and they were only 500-1k less than the granite we really liked, so if laminate ends up costing in the same range and won't save us a ton, we may go granite. But at least looking at this option, as a short-medium term fix, seems to make sense.
You can probably resurface the cabinets and put in cheaper laminate counter tops for well under 10k. Not ideal, but a short term decent improvement.

You can probably resurface the cabinets and put in cheaper laminate counter tops for well under 10k. Not idea, but a short term decent improvement.
My kitchen is bigger but the cabinets and countertop are not far from teh Oats. That's our next project. We are seriously considering painting them. We did that in the bathroom and they came out pretty solid.I have a pitcure somewhere I'll dig up

eta: This is after framing the giant mirror.

You can probably resurface the cabinets and put in cheaper laminate counter tops for well under 10k. Not idea, but a short term decent improvement.
Oh it'll be way less than 10k I think. We're looking at 500-700 bucks for the new floor, a contractor is charging us 2500 bucks total to replace a window and other fixtures in the adjacent bathroom, tile that floor, and to install the kitchen laminate, our painter is painting the cabinets along with the rest of the house (I can't imagine it'll cost much more for that portion given how large the overall project is; after he paints, we will glaze them ourselves), and even if we went granite tops that would be 3k with install. If we go laminate countertops I assume it will be a bunch less than this.All in for these kitchen improvements I'm thinking we're comfortably under 5k.

Oh it'll be way less than 10k I think. We're looking at 500-700 bucks for the new floor, a contractor is charging us 2500 bucks total to replace a window and other fixtures in the adjacent bathroom, tile that floor, and to install the kitchen laminate, our painter is painting the cabinets along with the rest of the house (I can't imagine it'll cost much more for that portion given how large the overall project is; after he paints, we will glaze them ourselves), and even if we went granite tops that would be 3k with install. If we go laminate countertops I assume it will be a bunch less than this.All in for these kitchen improvements I'm thinking we're comfortably under 5k.
Resurfacing the cabinets would be more expensive. They custom cut laminate and paste it over the existing surface. It actually looks surprisingly good. A couple house back, I did it in a small 2/1 house I had with an applewood laminate and it looked great.

Resurfacing the cabinets would be more expensive. They custom cut laminate and paste it over the existing surface. It actually looks surprisingly good. A couple house back, I did it in a small 2/1 house I had with an applewood laminate and it looked great.
Ah. Well, I'm fine with just a coat of paint and some glaze/rub. Really anything is a huge improvement over the cabinets in there now.

Siding guys will be done today or tomorrow. Already the place is going to look a trillion times better. I'll post a few before and after shots soon as I get a chance.

Landscaper re-planting the leylands in the back, and adding the new ones, this week or next. So we won't have to feel like we are sitting in the neighbors' yard anymore...

I have dabbled in projects over the years. Enjoyed some of them, particularly outdoor projects.

Trying to finish one right now (bathroom).

Never again.

I no longer have the time or patience for it.

'Otis said:
Siding guys will be done today or tomorrow. Already the place is going to look a trillion times better. I'll post a few before and after shots soon as I get a chance.Landscaper re-planting the leylands in the back, and adding the new ones, this week or next. So we won't have to feel like we are sitting in the neighbors' yard anymore...
Earlier you mentioned adding insulation to the outside. Can you get some pics of that? My house needs insulation desperately.

'Otis said:
Siding guys will be done today or tomorrow. Already the place is going to look a trillion times better. I'll post a few before and after shots soon as I get a chance.Landscaper re-planting the leylands in the back, and adding the new ones, this week or next. So we won't have to feel like we are sitting in the neighbors' yard anymore...
Earlier you mentioned adding insulation to the outside. Can you get some pics of that? My house needs insulation desperately.
It's not fantastic -- it is almost styrofoam-like, about a half inch thick, and goes up in panels (with some plastic backing on both sides). It's too dark to get a photo now, but I will try and get a shot in the morning -- they look like they will be closing up the final panels tomorrow, so it's then or never.

'Otis said:
It's not fantastic -- it is almost styrofoam-like, about a half inch thick, and goes up in panels (with some plastic backing on both sides). It's too dark to get a photo now, but I will try and get a shot in the morning -- they look like they will be closing up the final panels tomorrow, so it's then or never.
So like the rigid foam stuff?

'Otis said:
So like the rigid foam stuff?
It is a lot more rigid and styrofoam like and a lot less like indoor interior insulation.

Since this is where we talk about home stuff:

I got this awesome attachment for my pressure washer (Otis, you want a pressure washer if you don't have one already). Craftsman surface cleaner. Only works up to 3000 PSI (I have a 2500 PSI Honda). There is a spinning arm inside of a heavy plastic dome, the spinning arm has two heads on it with light pressure. So it doesn't tear up my deck, and doesn't leave streaks like when you use the fan nozzle and sweep back and forth.

I have a large deck, 2 concrete patios & a massive driveway that need to be cleaned. We get a lot of moss/algae type stuff up here in WA, so it's a constant battle to keep stuff maintained.

This thing seriously cut the time it took to do my deck from about 3 hours to 30 minutes. I did my driveway in an hour and a half, which normally is a multiple day project.

I documented it with my iPhone:

I highly recommend this if you have to clean a large area on a regular basis. It's $75, which was difficult for me to fork out, but I have decided it was well worth it after using it. It also makes it so I don't have to lean over when pressure washing for hours, which always made my back sore.

Users who are viewing this thread