What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriots being investigated after Colts game (1 Viewer)

Percent of NFL teams actively trying to steal play sheets?

• 0%

Votes: 90 33.0%
  • 25%

Votes: 91 33.3%
  • 50%

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • 75%

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • 100%

Votes: 57 20.9%

• Total voters
Gotta let some things slide. It ticks me off that "nucular" is in the Oxford dictionary. But, Eisenhower used it, W used it...

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Deflategate: what a witch hunt, right? It's like we're all scandaloholics.
Even judge Berman thought that the 'gate' suffix was stupid:

Berman also told NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and Nash that Brady played better in the second half of the New England Patriots 45-7 romp over the Indianapolis Colts on Jan. 18 than in the first — when the balls used were found to have been slightly deflated below league standards.

“You might say [brady] got no better advantage from the under-inflation,” Berman said.

He also at one point seemed to dismiss the whole controversy, cracking,

“This Deflategate. I’m not sure where the ‘gate’ comes from.”

Max Stendahl ‏@MaxLaw360 29m29 minutes ago

Here's the full text of letter today by Brady's lawyer Jeff Kessler.

CNRDBi6U8AAVX3K.jpg

CNRDBl4UEAA3VeB.jpg
Boom.

Bayhawks i pretty much agree with everything in your last post. I would say that the arrogant perception is driven by the org and the fans overreacting to overblown criticisms...its a vicious circle deal. Maybe pats fans are insecure because of sucking for 30 years b4 bb showed up.

Bayhawks i pretty much agree with everything in your last post. I would say that the arrogant perception is driven by the org and the fans overreacting to overblown criticisms...its a vicious circle deal. Maybe pats fans are insecure because of sucking for 30 years b4 bb showed up
I don't think that's it. I *do* think that part of the reason Brady has a chip on his shoulder is because he was so unheralded and unappreciated at Michigan and coming into the NFL, and I can't blame the guy for still feeling like the underdog made good (though the world thinks of him as a superstar with a supermodel wife who should act more humble).

That said, Patriots fans are kind of obnoxious because, let's be honest, Boston sports fans are obnoxious. I mean, the Celtics have a long history of dominance and Celtics fans are the worst.

I on the other hand defend the Patriots out of pure noble reason--they are getting irrational levels of heat despite being a very average team in terms of ethics.

CNRDBi6U8AAVX3K.jpg

CNRDBl4UEAA3VeB.jpg
Boom.
I'm not sure what you're booming (or what that's even supposed to mean).

The NFL sent the judge a letter saying "we're right, and here's why," and explained why they believe legal precedent supports them.

The NFLPA sent the judge a letter saying "we're right, and here's why," and explained why they believe legal precedent supports them.

Unless you know what happened in the different cases each side cites (and if their interpretations of how each decision should be applied), I fail to see how you can look at either/both of these letters and determine who "wins" this part of the legal process.

CNRDBi6U8AAVX3K.jpg

CNRDBl4UEAA3VeB.jpg
Boom.

The NFL sent the judge a letter saying "we're right, and here's why," and explained why they believe legal precedent supports them.

The NFLPA sent the judge a letter saying "we're right, and here's why," and explained why they believe legal precedent supports them.

Unless you know what happened in the different cases each side cites (and if their interpretations of how each decision should be applied), I fail to see how you can look at either/both of these letters and determine who "wins" this part of the legal process.
He "boomed" it. You can't question it anymore.

CNRDBi6U8AAVX3K.jpg

CNRDBl4UEAA3VeB.jpg
Boom.

No what actually happened, was Kessler has to convince the Judge they meet at least one of four stipulations, Kessler spent his last day in court explaining how he meets EACH stipulation (all four.)

The NFL delivered their letter late, intentionally to craft it as a response to the NFLPA's letter. In which the NFL basically said they don't care if the NFLPA meets any of the criteria, all former cases and their precedence are irrelevant to this one.

Kessler then delivered a letter in response to the NFL filing late. In which he just states that the NFL's letter is another clear example of them overstepping.

I doubt the Judge is gonna be impressed with the NFLs finding that the 19 prior cases that had been overturned in New York alone are irrelevant in their opinion.

CNRDBi6U8AAVX3K.jpg

CNRDBl4UEAA3VeB.jpg
Boom.

No what actually happened, was Kessler has to convince the Judge they meet at least one of four stipulations, Kessler spent his last day in court explaining how he meets EACH stipulation (all four.)

The NFL delivered their letter late, intentionally to craft it as a response to the NFLPA's letter. In which the NFL basically said they don't care if the NFLPA meets any of the criteria, all former cases and their precedence are irrelevant to this one.

Kessler then delivered a letter in response to the NFL filing late. In which he just states that the NFL's letter is another clear example of them overstepping.

I doubt the Judge is gonna be impressed with the NFLs finding that the 19 prior cases that had been overturned in New York alone are irrelevant in their opinion.
I wasn't discussing the hearing from last week, just the "boom" comment in response to the link of Kessler's letter. The underlined is what I said in my previous post..

Still waiting on that list of quotes by NFL execs who are out to get the Pats. Care to share it now?

Last edited by a moderator:

CNRDBi6U8AAVX3K.jpg

CNRDBl4UEAA3VeB.jpg
Boom.

I wasn't discussing the hearing from last week, just the "boom" comment in response to the link of Kessler's letter. The underlined is what I said in my previous post..

Still waiting on that list of quotes by NFL execs who are out to get the Pats. Care to share it now?
It was a chain of events... you responded to a comment on the last one and poorly summarized it.

Also, I can't provide a link to the Kensil quote I was specifically thinking of when I posted that, it exists somewhere but I looked and couldn't find it (and deleted my post) this was all well before someone even quoted that post, like several minutes after. Literally no point in me repeating a quote without a link.

Either way, I concede that. I'm still not satisfied with you practically copy and pasting the Patriots page from Yourteamcheats.com especially when 99% of the posts on here in regards to that site have been dismissed or lampooned.

I specifically said things other than Spygate, you listed Spygate... Deflategate, which isn't resolved, and a series of infractions no different from literally any other of the 31 teams such as PEDs. Hardly a culture of cheating.

:breathesindeeply: We must be by the ocean. Smelling a lot of salt in here.

CNRDBi6U8AAVX3K.jpg

CNRDBl4UEAA3VeB.jpg
Boom.

It was a chain of events... you responded to a comment on the last one and poorly summarized it.

Also, I can't provide a link to the Kensil quote I was specifically thinking of when I posted that, it exists somewhere but I looked and couldn't find it (and deleted my post) this was all well before someone even quoted that post, like several minutes after. Literally no point in me repeating a quote without a link.

Either way, I concede that. I'm still not satisfied with you practically copy and pasting the Patriots page from Yourteamcheats.com especially when 99% of the posts on here in regards to that site have been dismissed or lampooned.

I specifically said things other than Spygate, you listed Spygate... Deflategate, which isn't resolved, and a series of infractions no different from literally any other of the 31 teams such as PEDs. Hardly a culture of cheating.
You're not supposed to be satisfied. That was the point. You think people who won't recognize NFL execs are out to get NE are blind, because it it obvious to you, despite the fact that there's no proof. It's enough for you that Kensil SEEMS like he doesn't like the Pats, and that (to you) equals "out to get NE."

Many people think that you (& other NE fans) are blind because its obvious to them that NE has cheated at least twice, there are rumors of other possibilities (bugs in the visiting locker room, etc), and they probably got away with other cheats (unless they really suck at it and got caught EVERY TIME. It's enough for them.

So, if you are going to demand proof when someone says "Pats are cheaters," then you should be able to provide proof when you say "NFL execs are out to get NE."

Heya folks...what did I kiss?

Pats fans still trying to convince themselves that the world does not believe and history will not recognize that the Pats are serial cheaters whose own actions have forever tainted what could have been one of the legacies of greatness rather than doubt and suspicion as to just how valid those achievements may have really been?

Because thats exactly what most people think. Whatever transpires in this fun little thread. Cant put the genie back in the bottle when you have this many black mark against them.

Pats fans still trying to convince themselves that the world does not believe and history will not recognize that the Pats are serial cheaters whose own actions have forever tainted what could have been one of the legacies of greatness rather than doubt and suspicion as to just how valid those achievements may have really been?

Because thats exactly what most people think. Whatever transpires in this fun little thread. Cant put the genie back in the bottle when you have this many black mark against them.
Not sure but I'll tell you what you can kiss

get some tequila ready Koya, cause that will be salty...

Luck is a serial cheater as are the cheating Colts .... deflating balls during the AFC championship game ... sonsabeetches .... ban Luck and take away the Colts draft picks, that's what I say !!

Wait ...

NOTHING was done to the Colts?

NOTHING ??

Luck is a serial cheater as are the cheating Colts .... deflating balls during the AFC championship game ... sonsabeetches .... ban Luck and take away the Colts draft picks, that's what I say !!

Wait ...

NOTHING was done to the Colts?

NOTHING ??
If only there was an emoticon of a vinyl LP skipping on a scratch...

Touche

(thats french for touch I think)

CNRDBi6U8AAVX3K.jpg

CNRDBl4UEAA3VeB.jpg
Boom.

You're not supposed to be satisfied. That was the point. You think people who won't recognize NFL execs are out to get NE are blind, because it it obvious to you, despite the fact that there's no proof. It's enough for you that Kensil SEEMS like he doesn't like the Pats, and that (to you) equals "out to get NE."

Many people think that you (& other NE fans) are blind because its obvious to them that NE has cheated at least twice, there are rumors of other possibilities (bugs in the visiting locker room, etc), and they probably got away with other cheats (unless they really suck at it and got caught EVERY TIME. It's enough for them.

So, if you are going to demand proof when someone says "Pats are cheaters," then you should be able to provide proof when you say "NFL execs are out to get NE."
What is the second time, and all of these rumors are simply that. Its been a decade and no one has come any closer to proving any of this ####.

And second of all, Koya has been spamming this ####### thread for a week talking about the history of the Patriots as cheaters and how they have a laundry list of offenses that are worse than any other team in the league yet refuses to name them.

When you rattle off PEDs and legally manipulating the IR, no... I'm not satisfied.

CNRDBi6U8AAVX3K.jpg

CNRDBl4UEAA3VeB.jpg
Boom.

What is the second time, and all of these rumors are simply that. Its been a decade and no one has come any closer to proving any of this ####.

And second of all, Koya has been spamming this ####### thread for a week talking about the history of the Patriots as cheaters and how they have a laundry list of offenses that are worse than any other team in the league yet refuses to name them.

When you rattle off PEDs and legally manipulating the IR, no... I'm not satisfied.
So, by this statement do you also denounce the "yourteamcheats" facade ?

If so, then follow the money. What other teams have been penalized as much as Patriots for cheating infractions? Tada!

CNRDBi6U8AAVX3K.jpg

CNRDBl4UEAA3VeB.jpg
Boom.

2nd time-deflategate. You don't want to count that, and that is your prerogative. And, you're exactly right, the rumors are just rumors. Just like the RUMORS that Kensil (and other NFL execs) are out to get the Pats. That's the point. Koya, and many others, see the Pats as cheaters. You don't think there is enough proof of that, but he and many others do.

You feel Kensil and other NFL execs are out to get the Pats, but there isn't enough proof of that, yet you still think it's the case. You claimed to be able to provide quotes from these execs that prove this, but you are unable to do so.

You may be right, and Kensil and other execs want to "get the Pats," but there are only rumors and theories, with little proof to base them on. There's more "proof" that the Pats are cheaters, than there is that Kensil is out to "get the Pats," but you continue to believe it, and post it as if it were a fact. It's hypocritical of you to demand proof for what others believe, when you can't prove what you believe.

With regards, to the "cheating" that yourteamcheats.com uses as justification for NE's proven "cheats," I agree with you, they are ridiculous. It's nice to have a few Patriots fans actually acknowledge that in this thread, even if it was done unknowingly.

Bayhawks i pretty much agree with everything in your last post. I would say that the arrogant perception is driven by the org and the fans overreacting to overblown criticisms...its a vicious circle deal. Maybe pats fans are insecure because of sucking for 30 years b4 bb showed up.
People see what they want to see and disregard everything else.

The Ravens' fans who thought Brady was arrogant probably didn't think twice when Suggs told the Eagles to read the rule book this week.

That being said, neither side gives in here and it comes down to the Judge. This isn't going to be pretty.

CNRDBi6U8AAVX3K.jpg

CNRDBl4UEAA3VeB.jpg
Boom.

2nd time-deflategate. You don't want to count that, and that is your prerogative. And, you're exactly right, the rumors are just rumors. Just like the RUMORS that Kensil (and other NFL execs) are out to get the Pats. That's the point. Koya, and many others, see the Pats as cheaters. You don't think there is enough proof of that, but he and many others do.

You feel Kensil and other NFL execs are out to get the Pats, but there isn't enough proof of that, yet you still think it's the case. You claimed to be able to provide quotes from these execs that prove this, but you are unable to do so.

You may be right, and Kensil and other execs want to "get the Pats," but there are only rumors and theories, with little proof to base them on. There's more "proof" that the Pats are cheaters, than there is that Kensil is out to "get the Pats," but you continue to believe it, and post it as if it were a fact. It's hypocritical of you to demand proof for what others believe, when you can't prove what you believe.

With regards, to the "cheating" that yourteamcheats.com uses as justification for NE's proven "cheats," I agree with you, they are ridiculous. It's nice to have a few Patriots fans actually acknowledge that in this thread, even if it was done unknowingly.
Serious question. How do you prove anything (never mind collusion)?

I would hope that the one thing everyone can agree on is how poorly the NFL has handled this. We're talking about a manufactured controversy that is at worst a minor equipment violation, and is very possibly nothing more than sour grapes.

Contrast that with how MLB has handled one of their premiere franchises being caught red-handed hacking into a competitor's scouting database, a far more egregious competitive violation. That story died in less than week.

The NBA had a referee caught fixing games, with ties to the mafia. He made a bunch of suspicious looking phone calls to a referee that IS STILL IN THE NBA REFFING GAMES. Other than a few sports writers, no one really talks about that. Kind of seems like a big deal.

And here, we have a 288 page thread on whether or not a QB asked his ball boys to release 0.2 PSI from a few footballs before a game. A game that they won 45-7, outscoring their opponent 28-0 after the alleged ball violation was rectified. Talk about a mountain out of a molehill.

I can't tell if Goodell and the NFL's head honchos are really this comically inept, or if they just completely buy into the philosophy that all news is good news. Because if they're good at anything, it is staying in the news. Regardless of how dumb it makes them look.

CNRDBi6U8AAVX3K.jpg

CNRDBl4UEAA3VeB.jpg
Boom.

Serious question. How do you prove anything (never mind collusion)?
The NFL has said, twice, that the Patriots have cheated. That's the proof.

Run it up said he has quotes from NFL execs that "have a beef" with NE. If those quotes exist, that would be proof enough for me that Kensil (or other execs) did want to "get the Pats." But, he has failed to provide those quotes.

That doesn't mean he's wrong, but it's a rumor, based on suspicion that is possibly/probably true.

NE being serial cheaters is based on two instances of the NFL labeling them cheaters (spy/deflategates), and other rumors/reports of cheating.

Some people choose to dismiss the rumors of Kensil trying to "get" the Pats as just rumors; Run it up says those people are blind.

I'm merely pointing out that he's being somewhat hypocritical by stating, as a fact, that NFL execs are out to get NE (without any PROOF), while ignoring the proven instances of NE's cheating & dismissing any other rumors of their cheating actions.

While I was at it, I figured I'd try to get 1 or 2 NE fans to admit that yourteamcheats.com is a ridiculous site. Kill two birds with 1 stone, so to speak.

People see what they want to see and disregard everything else.

The Ravens' fans who thought Brady was arrogant probably didn't think twice when Suggs told the Eagles to read the rule book this week.

That being said, neither side gives in here and it comes down to the Judge. This isn't going to be pretty.
Or the Colts fans and media calling Reggie Wayne a traitor for signing with the Patriots. And they say Boston fans are obnoxious...

I was just remembering that time on a special teams play when the Jets had a bunch of either inactive players or assistant coaches lined up on the sideline with their arms crossed to cover their crotches. Was it NE who griped about that?

Like I said, there's a long, colourful history between those two franchises.

I was just remembering that time on a special teams play when the Jets had a bunch of either inactive players or assistant coaches lined up on the sideline with their arms crossed to cover their crotches. Was it NE who griped about that?

Wasn't that Mangini? Where do you think he learned it?

I don't have a problem with yourteamcheats.com. I have a problem with people dismissing everything on there while also accepting select things.

It's a record of infractions, it's up to the individual to determine the severity of those infractions. Not pretend like it's a ####### propaganda machine.

dotdash said:
I would hope that the one thing everyone can agree on is how poorly the NFL has handled this. We're talking about a manufactured controversy that is at worst a minor equipment violation, and is very possibly nothing more than sour grapes.
:no:

Run It Up said:
I don't have a problem with yourteamcheats.com. I have a problem with people dismissing everything on there while also accepting select things.

It's a record of infractions, it's up to the individual to determine the severity of those infractions. Not pretend like it's a ####### propaganda machine.
Of course you don't. It's a Pats fan site, set up to deflect some of the blame for spygate & deflategate.

Of course, as soon as I posted the ridiculous nonsense that site lists as "cheats" for NE, you couldn't dismiss them fast enough (especially since I didn't post that they came from yourteamcheats.com).

Koya said:
Old Smiley said:

Tom coughlin?

Koya said:
Old Smiley said:

Tom coughlin?
Mangini first caught the attention of Bill Belichick, under whom he would coach for nine seasons, as a 23-year-old ball boy with the Cleveland Browns.

Next up on the NFL / Goodel agenda....

A new multi-million dollar Wells report leading to a 4 game suspension of Matt Ryan ....for his role in Atlantas "piped in crowd noise" scheme.

"noise-gate"?

oh, wait ... that team sucks. Never mind.

Good to see big steel thrill back in here, because I never got an answer to my question. You mentioned that if Brady settled his court case it meant he was guilty. So when Roethlisberger settled his tape case, I can only assume that same standard applies. I just want to hear you say it, you know, for consistency.

Did Roethlisberger rape anyone?

Good to see big steel thrill back in here, because I never got an answer to my question. You mentioned that if Brady settled his court case it meant he was guilty. So when Roethlisberger settled his tape case, I can only assume that same standard applies. I just want to hear you say it, you know, for consistency.

Did Roethlisberger rape anyone?
Wrong thread.

That was the answer.

I think it's pretty relevant here. You've made some pretty strong statements about guilt and innocence and you seem very serious about the justice system and making sure a fan base acknowledges when their quarterback has done something wrong. I'm assuming it should be pretty easy for you to just say the words. It would really go a long way towards showing that you're not just a hypocritical troll, which I've personally never suspected but I can imagine others might.

Next up on the NFL / Goodel agenda....

A new multi-million dollar Wells report leading to a 4 game suspension of Matt Ryan ....for his role in Atlantas "piped in crowd noise" scheme.

"noise-gate"?

oh, wait ... that team sucks. Never mind.
Rumor has it there are text messages between ryan and a technician who goes by 'the amplifier'.

Oh noes111!!1. What about the children!!

Koya said:
Old Smiley said:

It was the strength coach who stuck his knee out a bit as a Miami special teamer ran by and tripped him up (it was under Rex Ryan's reign). He was fired by the team. He's now the strength coach at USC and is the guy that Sean Puffy Combs swung a weight at when they had a verbal altercation about how his son was being treated.

Koya said:
Old Smiley said:

It was the strength coach who stuck his knee out a bit as a Miami special teamer ran by and tripped him up (it was under Rex Ryan's reign). He was fired by the team. He's now the strength coach at USC and is the guy that Sean Puffy Combs swung a weight at when they had a verbal altercation about how his son was being treated.
Kevin Bacon.

What I always thought was interesting in that case was not the strength coach's action, but just having that row of guys in Jets warm-up suits all lined up protecting their junk. Surely you could make a "generally aware" case there.

And, I'm not singling out the Jets either. If I recall, the reason for the guys standing there was that the gunners on the other team were pushing the rules and staying out of bounds in order to avoid interference as they ran downfield.

Koya said:
Old Smiley said:

Kevin Bacon.

What I always thought was interesting in that case was not the strength coach's action, but just having that row of guys in Jets warm-up suits all lined up protecting their junk. Surely you could make a "generally aware" case there.

And, I'm not singling out the Jets either. If I recall, the reason for the guys standing there was that the gunners on the other team were pushing the rules and staying out of bounds in order to avoid interference as they ran downfield.
Except for the strength coach guy sticking his knee out slightly (surely dirty pool there), what they were doing was fine. They were out of bounds and "preventing" an illegal advantage for the opposing team. He was fired for arranging it though and for his actions. Guy was a scumbag for sure as he could have seriously injured a player.

I don't remember if the team was fined or anything, but if they were punished I would have said they deserve it. I don't stick my head in the sand when my team does something shady.

Koya said:
Old Smiley said:

Kevin Bacon.

Except for the strength coach guy sticking his knee out slightly (surely dirty pool there), what they were doing was fine. They were out of bounds and "preventing" an illegal advantage for the opposing team. He was fired for arranging it though and for his actions. Guy was a scumbag for sure as he could have seriously injured a player.

I don't remember if the team was fined or anything, but if they were punished I would have said they deserve it. I don't stick my head in the sand when my team does something shady.
Nope. Positioning non-players as pylons to interfere with some schmoe running full bore down the sidelines is not fine. Injury risk on both sides and not your bloody job. Complain to the refs or write a letter to the league.

Anyway, I only brought it up because I couldn't remember if it was the Pats who ratted them out.

Users who are viewing this thread