What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pete Carroll is a better HC than Mike Tomlin (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
Tomlin's got a ring - I'll give him that. Maybe that trumps all. But Carroll gets his team to play HARD each and every week. You never know what you get from the Steelers. Tomlin's rinse and repeat post game "we don't like it but we accept it" comments are laughable. No half time adjustments. He's not an offensive genius, Labeau runs the D, so what's his stamp again on this team?

What Carroll is doing with a rookie QB and getting his team fired up every time they come out of the tunnel is way more impressive than what Tomlin is getting out of his squad. And I don't want to hear about injuries.

If any HC.could be overrated with a SB ring, it's Tomlin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomlin only has one ring as a head coach.

But I agree that his flaws as a head coach are showing this year.

Tomlin's got 2 rings - I'll give him that. Maybe that trumps all. But Carroll gets his team to play HARD each and every week. You never know what you get from the Steelers. Tomlin's rinse and repeat post game "we don't like it but we accept it" comments are laughable. No half time adjustments. He's not an offensive genius, Labeau runs the D, so what's his stamp again on this team?

What Carroll is doing with a rookie QB and getting his team fired up every time they come out of the tunnel is way more impressive than what Tomlin is getting out of his squad. And I don't want to hear about injuries.

If any HC.could be overrated with 2 SB rings, it's Tomlin.
:goodposting: Spits out cliches like his coaching life depends on it. It's ridiculous.

kinda like the Billy Ray Valentine to the collective Rooney family's Duke Brothers.

Why don't you post your disdain for the Steelers and Tomlin in every single thread and then go ahead and start a new one...oh, wait...

Well, to be fair, Carroll did get a lot of replacement ref help earlier in the season. :)

So what?

Tomlin is a damn fine coach, but he is far from perfect.

In 21 years.... Tomlin will be the same age as Carrol is now.

this steelers fan agrees with the OP. the steelers have underperformed (with the talent they have) since tomlin came. he talks a great game but doesn't coach one.

He inherited great defensive players and Ben is tough as nails. With only 1 SB ring he's really overrated. Say what you want about Carroll being a rah rah college coach. Players play HARD for him every week. That's what I want out of a HC.

Carroll is horrible. He's a college coach with a rah-rah attitude. "I'm pumped and jacked!" Big freakin deal. He DESTROYED a Patriots team that went to the Super Bowl the year before he took over as well as killed the career of the best FB of the time (Sam Gash)After he left NE he took over a USC team and brought them years worth of shame - and then walked away from it. (Not that he's the only p.o.s. to do that but still...)So, he's riding a good D and a great RB to some success (with the help from some last minute heroics from the refs.)Don't know why he's being compared to Tomlin (don't think he's as great as he's made out to be either, btw) but Carroll's no great shakes.
You're out of your mind. Carroll brought USC back to greatness, and Reggie Bush with his agent brought the shame.

He inherited great defensive players and Ben is tough as nails. With only 1 SB ring he's really overrated. Say what you want about Carroll being a rah rah college coach. Players play HARD for him every week. That's what I want out of a HC.
Carroll's teams on all levels have had good DS. That's a credit to him. He might get overwhelmed occasionally on game day and ran too player friendly of a program in his first two nfl gigs but so far s good in Seattle. Agree on all counts on tomlin. He'll be lucky to last two seasons when labeau retires.

'Judge Smails said:
'Lemmy said:
Carroll is horrible. He's a college coach with a rah-rah attitude. "I'm pumped and jacked!" Big freakin deal. He DESTROYED a Patriots team that went to the Super Bowl the year before he took over as well as killed the career of the best FB of the time (Sam Gash)After he left NE he took over a USC team and brought them years worth of shame - and then walked away from it. (Not that he's the only p.o.s. to do that but still...)So, he's riding a good D and a great RB to some success (with the help from some last minute heroics from the refs.)Don't know why he's being compared to Tomlin (don't think he's as great as he's made out to be either, btw) but Carroll's no great shakes.
You're out of your mind. Carroll brought USC back to greatness, and Reggie Bush with his agent brought the shame.
That is the typical take of Carroll in the Boston area. I don't subscribe to it but in Patriot land he's Pete the Poodle. Come off the ledge over Tomlin , he's fine . Its the talent on the field thats the problem :lmao: @ Sam Gash Vs. Keith Byers.........time to let that one go

Tomlin took over a winning team with rock solid organization and a franchise QB. What did he really do other than drive the bus and keep it on the road?

Take over Detroit, Cleveland or KC or what Carroll has done in Seattle..

'Judge Smails said:
'Lemmy said:
That is the typical take of Carroll in the Boston area. I don't subscribe to it but in Patriot land he's Pete the Poodle. Come off the ledge over Tomlin , he's fine . Its the talent on the field thats the problem :lmao: @ Sam Gash Vs. Keith Byers.........time to let that one go
it is not a 'come of the ledge' kind of thing and it is not solely a reaction to the egg the steelers laid today. if you watched the steelers play over the past 5 years you would agree, i think, that mike tomlin has some serious coaching warts.

I like both coaches, but have been extremely impressed with what Carroll has done in Seattle. Say what you want about his past, but some coaches, like players, do get better from experience.

'mad sweeney said:
'seahawk 17 said:
'MaxThreshold said:
Well, to be fair, Carroll did get a lot of replacement ref help earlier in the season. :)
Please define "a lot."
a lot = one more bad call in their favor than the opponent in a terribly reffed game.eta; plus it has nothing to do with the point about motivating the team. wins weren't referenced at all in the OP.
I'm sure u went back and counted all the bad calls that went for seahawks and the ones for packers. I've said it before.... The great packers had no buisness keeping it close. They should have been a few scores up. Does anyone recall the steelers vs seahawks super bowl? Which games bad calls had a bigger impact? Ya so please stop bringing up a stupid call that actually looked like a golden Tate catch. Did he push off for the catch? Hell ya he did.

Tomlin inherited a superbowl caliber team, the ring was essentially handed to him on a silver platter.
He did take the team to another championship that they lost to Green Bay. I don't know if Carroll is a better coach than Tomlin or not, but I have more respect for Tomlin.

I like both coaches, but have been extremely impressed with what Carroll has done in Seattle. Say what you want about his past, but some coaches, like players, do get better from experience.
Almost equal credit goes to GM Schneider who has helped identify and snatch talent out of the drafts and a little FA work. They've done this while nearly completely replacing the roster. Carroll as a coach still has a lot of learning to do, however. He at least has gotten better at challenges, but there are a ton of wtf moments every game.

'mad sweeney said:
'seahawk 17 said:
'MaxThreshold said:
Please define "a lot."
a lot = one more bad call in their favor than the opponent in a terribly reffed game.eta; plus it has nothing to do with the point about motivating the team. wins weren't referenced at all in the OP.
I'm sure u went back and counted all the bad calls that went for seahawks and the ones for packers. I've said it before.... The great packers had no buisness keeping it close. They should have been a few scores up. Does anyone recall the steelers vs seahawks super bowl? Which games bad calls had a bigger impact? Ya so please stop bringing up a stupid call that actually looked like a golden Tate catch. Did he push off for the catch? Hell ya he did.
English please? FYI, I didn't bring it up, Maxine did.

Almost equal credit goes to GM Schneider who has helped identify and snatch talent out of the drafts and a little FA work. They've done this while nearly completely replacing the roster. Carroll as a coach still has a lot of learning to do, however. He at least has gotten better at challenges, but there are a ton of wtf moments every game.
Agreed, Schneider's drafting has been great and he's added some valuable pieces through FA as well. I assume that Carroll has some input on personell decisions as well, props to both of them for being able to identify talent.

Agreed, Schneider's drafting has been great and he's added some valuable pieces through FA as well. I assume that Carroll has some input on personell decisions as well, props to both of them for being able to identify talent.
Carroll has final say on personell.

'mad sweeney said:
'seahawk 17 said:
'MaxThreshold said:
Please define "a lot."
I was joking - hence the :) . It seems Sad Weeney has become an Even Sadder Weeney.

Tomlin took over a winning team with rock solid organization and a franchise QB. What did he really do other than drive the bus and keep it on the road?Take over Detroit, Cleveland or KC or what Carroll has done in Seattle..
While I agree that Tomlin inherited about as good a situation as you can possible imagine, talking like Carroll has set the world on fire in Seattle is a major overstatement. 22-23 in nearly three seasons, after taking over a 5-11 team, is an improvement, yes, but not worth gushing over.

'mad sweeney said:
'seahawk 17 said:
'MaxThreshold said:
Please define "a lot."
I was joking - hence the :) . It seems Sad Weeney has become an Even Sadder Weeney.
Yeah right.

'mad sweeney said:
'seahawk 17 said:
'MaxThreshold said:
Please define "a lot."
I love when people complain about the way I type. Look dude first of all I'm not from united states. Im from eastern europe. Second is it really that hard to read u as you? Do u not text on phones? I access the site using my phone. And I only commented on what u said cause that #### gets hella annoying about fair calls and all.

'mad sweeney said:
'seahawk 17 said:
'MaxThreshold said:
Please define "a lot."
I love when people complain about the way I type. Look dude first of all I'm not from united states. Im from eastern europe. Second is it really that hard to read u as you? Do u not text on phones? I access the site using my phone. And I only commented on what u said cause that #### gets hella annoying about fair calls and all.
Your points are all over the place and not clear, not your typing. I can't even tell if you are for or against the Seahawks. As for the bolded... uh, wat?btw, yes I do text on phones but even texts need to be somewhat clear.

'Lemmy said:
Carroll is horrible. So, he's riding a good D and a great RB to some success
A ton wrong with this post and feel I'm getting snagged; but.....A good D he built from scratch and a RB (with an O-line from scratch) he traded for.

Tomlin took over a winning team with rock solid organization and a franchise QB. What did he really do other than drive the bus and keep it on the road?Take over Detroit, Cleveland or KC or what Carroll has done in Seattle..
While I agree that Tomlin inherited about as good a situation as you can possible imagine, talking like Carroll has set the world on fire in Seattle is a major overstatement. 22-23 in nearly three seasons, after taking over a 5-11 team, is an improvement, yes, but not worth gushing over.
Seahawks point differential those three seasons2010: -972011: +62012: +98 (so far)I bet you didn't know that, did you?

Comparing these coaches is a stupid exercise in futility, just like comparing Russell Wilson to Andrew Luck. There are way too many variables to be able to draw any kind of conclusion.

Seahawks point differential those three seasons2010: -972011: +62012: +98 (so far)I bet you didn't know that, did you?
Nope. but I am pretty sure I don't care either.

'mad sweeney said:
'seahawk 17 said:
'MaxThreshold said:
Please define "a lot."
Your points are all over the place and not clear, not your typing. I can't even tell if you are for or against the Seahawks. As for the bolded... uh, wat?btw, yes I do text on phones but even texts need to be somewhat clear.
How r my points all over the place? Read it again. I said that there was a bigger game with an equally bad call that went against hawks. And people keep bringing up the Tate catch. Also the packers r supposed to be head and shoulders above the hawks, so they should have been ahead by a couple scores. Was that really hard to understand? And a lot of Russian people say hella. There's many other slang words we picked up from Americans

'Lemmy said:
Carroll is horrible. So, he's riding a good D and a great RB to some success
A ton wrong with this post and feel I'm getting snagged; but.....A good D he built from scratch and a RB (with an O-line from scratch) he traded for.
:goodposting:If you don't like the guy's personality I can understand that. He's over the top positive all the time. Dude is a cheerleader. It seems to work for him. However, don't be mistaken that he can't be a hardass when it comes to personnel. He's very willing to let someone go if he has another man on the bench that's ready to go. I love his "compete" mantra. He consistently gives guys opportunities to play. When they prove they can get the job done they keep the job, but for only as long as they keep proving it. It's not just a "what have you done for me lately" mentality, its a "what are you going to do for me now" mentality. He's very clear in communicating this expectation to his players. Lastly, he should earn credit for building this defense from the ground up. He imagined his perfect unit and built it one player at a time. Totally deserved credit for the Seattle defense. Same with their running game. He brought in Tom Cable and gave him free reign. Told him the expectation and Cable has come through big time.

Comparing these coaches is a stupid exercise in futility, just like comparing Russell Wilson to Andrew Luck. There are way too many variables to be able to draw any kind of conclusion.
:goodposting:Love it when I see a Seattle fan make an intelligent post.

'Judge Smails said:
Well, he did bring the Steelers to another Super Bowl and he is in a conference that made him deal with Brady and Manning while he was coaching in it. I'm not really saying one way or the other about whether he's an great coach or not but saying "With only 1 SB ring he's really overrated" is pretty unfair.

'mad sweeney said:
'seahawk 17 said:
'MaxThreshold said:
Please define "a lot."
How r my points all over the place? Read it again. I said that there was a bigger game with an equally bad call that went against hawks. And people keep bringing up the Tate catch. Also the packers r supposed to be head and shoulders above the hawks, so they should have been ahead by a couple scores. Was that really hard to understand? And a lot of Russian people say hella. There's many other slang words we picked up from Americans
The way you wrote it, yes it was. Care to translate what I bolded?

'mad sweeney said:
'seahawk 17 said:
'MaxThreshold said:
Please define "a lot."
No dog in this fight but "Is it really that hard to read the letter 'u' as 'you'?"

'mad sweeney said:
'seahawk 17 said:
'MaxThreshold said:
Please define "a lot."
No dog in this fight but "Is it really that hard to read the letter 'u' as 'you'?"
Duh, I get it now. I didn't have a problem with the abbreviated words in the first place so it didn't occur to me that it was a clarification in that. Thanks

Tomlin's got a ring - I'll give him that. Maybe that trumps all. But Carroll gets his team to play HARD each and every week. You never know what you get from the Steelers. Tomlin's rinse and repeat post game "we don't like it but we accept it" comments are laughable. No half time adjustments. He's not an offensive genius, Labeau runs the D, so what's his stamp again on this team?What Carroll is doing with a rookie QB and getting his team fired up every time they come out of the tunnel is way more impressive than what Tomlin is getting out of his squad. And I don't want to hear about injuries. If any HC.could be overrated with a SB ring, it's Tomlin.
:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread