What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (2 Viewers)

Nope. It is the correct term for this phenomenon.
We will probably just agree to disagree. I never heard of it until this week and it looks like NWS defined it in 2020.
The official name of "Post-it Notes" or sticky notes is "Repositionable Notes" but I don't hear any one call them that.
We had one of these a few years back. It seems like the kind of phenomenon that should have a name associated with it. It's not a thunderstorm and not a tornado - it has features in common with those, but it's not the same as either. This isn't as stupid as, say, naming winter storms.

We will probably just agree to disagree. I never heard of it until this week and it looks like NWS defined it in 2020.
What is the origin of the term "derecho?"
The word "derecho" was coined by Dr. Gustavus Hinrichs, a physics professor at the University of Iowa, in a paper published in the American Meteorological Journal in 1888. "Derecho" is a Spanish word meaning "direct" or "straight ahead;" Hinrichs coined it to distinguish straight-line wind damage from that produced by tornadoes. While the term was used in the meteorological community for a short time during the late nineteenth century, it disappeared from use for nearly 100 years until resurrected by severe weather meteorologists in the mid-1980s.

The word "derecho" was coined by Dr. Gustavus Hinrichs, a physics professor at the University of Iowa, in a paper published in the American Meteorological Journal in 1888. "Derecho" is a Spanish word meaning "direct" or "straight ahead;" Hinrichs coined it to distinguish straight-line wind damage from that produced by tornadoes. While the term was used in the meteorological community for a short time during the late nineteenth century, it disappeared from use for nearly 100 years until resurrected by severe weather meteorologists in the mid-1980s.
I've lived in Houston for fifty years, and I'd never seen anything like that here before. It was impressive to watch it in real time on radar. It needs its own name. The tornado that was on the ground looked very different.

I've lived in Houston for fifty years, and I'd never seen anything like that here before. It was impressive to watch it in real time on radar. It needs its own name. The tornado that was on the ground looked very different.
Yeah, the history of the term is that an Army Corps guy was researching severe storms and calling everything tornadoes and it caused a "dispute" with this professor/meteorology guys, so Hinrichs used derecho to differentiate straight line versus rotating winds.

I have a daughter that lives in Houston and agree it was a crazy storm.

The term derecho has been around 3-4 years and has frequently been on national weather shows and in local weather shows here (MD).
Longer than that. 2012 derecho was crazy here. I remember Port City Brewing releasing a “Derecho Common” beer after that derecho killed the power for days and beer got too warm during fermentation for the pilsner they were making.

Users who are viewing this thread