What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pink invasion (1 Viewer)

Unreal that anyone would really care about this. I bet there's a person fighting cancer right now who appreciates seeing some pink cleats or a pink ribbon on the field. Actually, I bet there are thousands. And it affects me zero percent. Or any of you. Find something legit to belly ache about.

Unreal that anyone would really care about this. I bet there's a person fighting cancer right now who appreciates seeing some pink cleats or a pink ribbon on the field. Actually, I bet there are thousands. And it affects me zero percent. Or any of you. Find something legit to belly ache about.
It's made a big deal because the NFL gets all butthurt and fines players any time they even have a chin strap that isn't the right color. But come every October, they let everyone go crazy with Pink because the NFL can profit off of it. If the NFL was really worried about supporting causes, then why not let DeAngelo Williams continue to wear pink to support his mom who passed away because of breast cancer? Why fine the Steelers player last week who had a mention of his dad who passed away of cancer in his eye black? They do it because they can't make a profit off of stuff like that. That's why people care.

I have no issue with the players wearing pink. The issue is the NFL only looking out for themselves.

MattFancy said:
JuniorNB said:
It's made a big deal because the NFL gets all butthurt and fines players any time they even have a chin strap that isn't the right color. But come every October, they let everyone go crazy with Pink because the NFL can profit off of it. If the NFL was really worried about supporting causes, then why not let DeAngelo Williams continue to wear pink to support his mom who passed away because of breast cancer? Why fine the Steelers player last week who had a mention of his dad who passed away of cancer in his eye black? They do it because they can't make a profit off of stuff like that. That's why people care.

I have no issue with the players wearing pink. The issue is the NFL only looking out for themselves.
I understand why the NFL fines players for seemingly minor dress code infractions. You have to make hard and fast rules or it becomes impossible to police. So they let Heyward paint his face in honor of his dad. Then the next guy writes something else and gets fined. But he turns around and says it's in honor of an uncle that practically raised him. Then another guy goes a little bit farther. The league doesn't want to have to have a hearing and/or make decisions with each individual case. So they make it black and white.

As for the pink game gear, it's my understanding that a portion of that goes toward breast cancer research. And even if it doesn't, I'm sure cancer victims and their families appreciate the effort.

And yes, I agree that the NFL profits from it. I have no problem with a business making profits.

MattFancy said:
JuniorNB said:

I understand why the NFL fines players for seemingly minor dress code infractions. You have to make hard and fast rules or it becomes impossible to police. So they let Heyward paint his face in honor of his dad. Then the next guy writes something else and gets fined. But he turns around and says it's in honor of an uncle that practically raised him. Then another guy goes a little bit farther. The league doesn't want to have to have a hearing and/or make decisions with each individual case. So they make it black and white.

As for the pink game gear, it's my understanding that a portion of that goes toward breast cancer research. And even if it doesn't, I'm sure cancer victims and their families appreciate the effort.

And yes, I agree that the NFL profits from it. I have no problem with a business making profits.
So the game will be unwatchable because some player has "Hi Mom" written in his eye black, that no one can see to begin with? Or because a player wore a different color pair of cleats?

A portion is right, 8% of all NFL Pink merchandise sales goes to the Komen Fund.

MattFancy said:
JuniorNB said:

So the game will be unwatchable because some player has "Hi Mom" written in his eye black, that no one can see to begin with? Or because a player wore a different color pair of cleats?

A portion is right, 8% of all NFL Pink merchandise sales goes to the Komen Fund.
Then it's on a towel hanging from the player's belt. Then there's an advertisement snuck in. Or a player editorializing. No one ever said the game would be unwatchable. But when running a major business, you need to have hard and fast rules.

MattFancy said:
JuniorNB said:

Nobody should have a problem with a business making profits, but what irks people about this is the combination of:

1) the NFL being one of the most unscrupulous businesses in the world, totally void of moral character

2) the NFL using/exploiting breast cancer to make money

3) the NFL using/exploiting breast cancer to get positive press

What % do they actually give back anyway?

Also, hasn't the NFL been using nonprofit status up until recently?

MattFancy said:
JuniorNB said:

Then it's on a towel hanging from the player's belt. Then there's an advertisement snuck in. Or a player editorializing. No one ever said the game would be unwatchable. But when running a major business, you need to have hard and fast rules.
Yeah, the NBA really fell apart when LeBron, Rose, Durant and a few other wore "I Can't Breathe" shirts. Think the NBA survived just fine. Most people watching don't even notice that the player is wearing a different colored chin strap, has something written on his eye black, doesn't have the right socks, or cleats, etc.

MattFancy said:
JuniorNB said:

Nobody should have a problem with a business making profits, but what irks people about this is the combination of:

1) the NFL being one of the most unscrupulous businesses in the world, totally void of moral character

This article says 12.5%, but others say 8%. So who really knows?

MattFancy said:
JuniorNB said:

http://www.nfl.com/pink

Since 2009, the first year of the NFL’s "A Crucial Catch" campaign, the NFL’s work has raised approximately $8 million for the American Cancer Society, with the majority of the contribution coming from the sale of Pink items at retail and via the NFL Auction website

Additional Details:

1. NFL Auction: 100% of proceeds from Pink products auctioned on NFL Auction go directly to the American Cancer Society (ACS)

2. At Retail: 100% of the NFL’s proceeds from Pink product sales go to the American Cancer Society.

Last edited by a moderator:
MattFancy said:
JuniorNB said:

Yeah, the NBA really fell apart when LeBron, Rose, Durant and a few other wore "I Can't Breathe" shirts. Think the NBA survived just fine. Most people watching don't even notice that the player is wearing a different colored chin strap, has something written on his eye black, doesn't have the right socks, or cleats, etc.

MattFancy said:
JuniorNB said:

This article says 12.5%, but others say 8%. So who really knows?
How much money, though? I'd have to think the 8% (or 12.5%) is a substantial amount.,

As previously discussed, the issue is that it potentially detracts from other causes that need the funding and the attention more than breast cancer. Personally, I don't get my jollies hoping to prevent breast cancer victims or survivors from enjoying the sight of pink on football players.

If a family has a charitable donation budget for a year and it goes to breast cancer research, maybe nothing goes to lung cancer research that year. Of the millions of people who could conceivably be impacted by an awareness campaign, maybe MORE of them could be saved by shifting the focus to areas fewer people know about.

I doubt anybody is complaining just to be an #######. I am proposing a change in focus because I think it could make a bigger impact on people's lives. Or save more of them. Cam has it right. His dad died of cancer but that particular form of the disease is not popular or profitable enough, so there is no allowable campaign for it.

Is it me or was there slightly less pink on the field this weekend compared to years past?

Seemed to me that in past years, every single player had at least one pink item on them, but saw a couple of instances in games where some players had none at all. 

Is it me or was there slightly less pink on the field this weekend compared to years past?

Seemed to me that in past years, every single player had at least one pink item on them, but saw a couple of instances in games where some players had none at all. 
I was thinking the same thing.   Raiders/Chargers game they completely missed the memo. 

Users who are viewing this thread