What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Player Spotlight: Anquan Boldin, WR, San Francisco 49ers (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2013 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

As always we will post a list of players to be discussed each week. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discuss expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Anquan Boldin, WR, San Francisco 49ers

Player Page Link: Anquan Boldin Player Page

Each article will include:

• Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member
  • Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads
  • FBG Projections
  • Consensus Member Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

• Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)
  • Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"
  • Avoid redundancies or things like "good posting" ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

• For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs
  • For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs
  • For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

This YPC seems tremendously low. Kaepernick put up a very high YPA/YPC last year and Boldin's lowest in the past three years is 13.1 and lowest for his career is still over 11.

Think Boldin will be relied upon to pick up most of Crabtree's slack and though Boldin isn't the same player he was, he can still put together a decent year. I'm not sure how the coverage tended to roll when he was with the Ravens...if he or Smith generally drew the best coverage corner. I know that Boldin put up better years than Torrey Smith.

80 receptions, 1000 yards (12.5 YPC), 8 TDs

This YPC seems tremendously low. Kaepernick put up a very high YPA/YPC last year and Boldin's lowest in the past three years is 13.1 and lowest for his career is still over 11.

Think Boldin will be relied upon to pick up most of Crabtree's slack and though Boldin isn't the same player he was, he can still put together a decent year. I'm not sure how the coverage tended to roll when he was with the Ravens...if he or Smith generally drew the best coverage corner. I know that Boldin put up better years than Torrey Smith.

80 receptions, 1000 yards (12.5 YPC), 8 TDs
All valid points. I just see catching more 5-7 yards balls for a first down where he just out muscles a DB for the ball but gets tackled in the process. Maybe sitting down in open spots of defenses that are flowing to a scrambling Kap. Our numbers aren't too far off and I don't disagree with your numbers either. TDs are kind of random but I think his redzone skill set is some what in line with VDs and that's the only reason I had him at 5.

Split the difference?

82/950/7

So you guys are projecting he does much better than last season. I just don't see it. Boldin caught 65 passes for 921 yards and four touchdowns last season.

60 850 7

So you guys are projecting he does much better than last season. I just don't see it. Boldin caught 65 passes for 921 yards and four touchdowns last season.

60 850 7
I agree, SF has a strong offense but so did Balt. Boldin wasn't able to produce big numbers there and I don't expect him to do it in SF either. Though you have him greatly surpassing last years TD total.62 receptions, 825 yds, 5 TDs.

Boldin is not capable IMO of a top 10-12 season so the dreamers might want to have a reality check on this. He was traded for a 6th round pick, he's 32 but has sustained a lot of big hits over the years. Can he catch 60-75 balls and move the sticks? Yes he can. Can he put the Niners on his back at WR? No he cannot and he has some limitations that owners need to be real about. In dynasty this is the last chance you got to move this guy and actually get some value, cash in.

SF is going to take a step back in the vertical passing game for now. Boldin will make a lot of tough 8-10 yard receptions and do the dirty work but his days of gigantic production are well over. He was hit and miss in Baltimore with a pretty strong QB throwing him the ball. Defenses will also key in on him until the Niners show another receiver can hurt them. Best thing for Boldin would be the emergence of a WR2 on this team like AJ Jenkins. Manningham and another SF WR are coming off ACL tears and major surgery so there isn't a lot back there in reserves. I expect SF to make at least a small move in obtaining another veteran WR, they can easily throw a draft pick out there for 2014 so they can win this year.

Boldin: 64/850/7TD, actually pretty solid numbers if he stays on the field.

Boldin is not capable IMO of a top 10-12 season so the dreamers might want to have a reality check on this. He was traded for a 6th round pick, he's 32 but has sustained a lot of big hits over the years. Can he catch 60-75 balls and move the sticks? Yes he can. Can he put the Niners on his back at WR? No he cannot and he has some limitations that owners need to be real about. In dynasty this is the last chance you got to move this guy and actually get some value, cash in.

SF is going to take a step back in the vertical passing game for now. Boldin will make a lot of tough 8-10 yard receptions and do the dirty work but his days of gigantic production are well over. He was hit and miss in Baltimore with a pretty strong QB throwing him the ball. Defenses will also key in on him until the Niners show another receiver can hurt them. Best thing for Boldin would be the emergence of a WR2 on this team like AJ Jenkins. Manningham and another SF WR are coming off ACL tears and major surgery so there isn't a lot back there in reserves. I expect SF to make at least a small move in obtaining another veteran WR, they can easily throw a draft pick out there for 2014 so they can win this year.

Very reasonable post. Boldin is one of my favorite all-time players, dude was such a beast back in the day. But when you watch game footage from last year, even in the playoffs when he took over stretches of games and made gigantic plays, he was getting by on strength and veteran instincts......but he cannot get meaningful separation anymore. His speed and quickness has dropped off a cliff. 64/850/7 is his ceiling in SF

:goodposting:

Boldin supports VD, the new #1 target.

56-645-5

I like Boldin and I'm not one to write off write off 32 year old WRs. On a different team I think he could be a top 12 fantasy play. He's still a strong guy with good hands and body control. I could easily see him putting up 85/1100/10 on a prolific passing team that utilized him in the red zone. But he's on the 49ers who will likely pass the ball somewhere around 450 times. Maybe 500 tops. Depending on the routes he runs, I think he'll see somewhere between 90 and 120 targets. Even with 500 passing attempts, 120 would be a lot. I know Crabtree saw 127 last year, but Kaepernick locked onto him with 55 targets in the last 5 games. I just don't think that's going to happen with Boldin. I think his type of routes will determine his number of targets, so I really think his bottom line won't change a lot. I suspect he'll be running some shorter routes so he'll get a decent amount of targets, but won't have a very high YPR. I think he's better at getting off the line and boxing out for jump balls, so he'll probably see a few more red zone targets than Crabtree (11 last year).

This all changes if they bring in another WR to fill Crabtree's void. As of right now I'm assuming Boldin is the clear WR1 of the WR corps, but to be kind of a 1 and 1A with Vernon Davis.

110 targets x 58% = 64 rec x 13 ypr = 832 yds 7 TD

I thought he was too old: I was wrong. Watching BA on Thursday and SF today, it is clear that he is the guy a QB looks for when he is in trouble and needs a big play; and most of the time, Boldin comes through. I have a suspicion that he will help Kaep a lot and that Flacco could struggle this year. Torrey Smith is NOT a featured WR who can dominate against another teams top CB. He may not have another game as big as this one, but he will be a solid WR2 at least for fantasy and a reliable WR1 for Kaepernick.

he has been cool lately seeing double teams, but is he a wr2/flex @jax this week?
It's a good matchup and I expect him to have a decent game. Clearly he's not a good start against good defenses (like CAR and SEA coming up) since they can shut him down, but otherwise he has a shot at WR2 numbers.

Rotoworld:

49ers re-signed WR Anquan Boldin to a two-year, $12 million contract with $9 million guaranteed.
Boldin, 33, capitalized on Michael Crabtree's 11 missed games in 2013 en route to a five-year high in catches (85) and seven-year high in yards (1,179) with seven touchdowns as the 49ers' default No. 1 wideout. Boldin can still physically dominate defensive backs on occasion, but turns 34 in the first half of next season, and last year's opportunity-inflated numbers aren't a reliable indication of what's to come. Boldin's return to San Francisco has more real-life than fantasy impact. He'll be a low-ceiling, borderline WR3 in 2014 re-draft leagues. Look for Crabtree to reemerge as the Niners' No. 1 wideout. If the season began today, the 49ers' top three receivers would be Crabtree, Boldin, and promising sophomore Quinton Patton, with Vernon Davis at tight end.

Source: CSN Bay Area

Rotoworld:

49ers re-signed WR Anquan Boldin to a two-year, $12 million contract with $9 million guaranteed.
Boldin, 33, capitalized on Michael Crabtree's 11 missed games in 2013 en route to a five-year high in catches (85) and seven-year high in yards (1,179) with seven touchdowns as the 49ers' default No. 1 wideout. Boldin can still physically dominate defensive backs on occasion, but turns 34 in the first half of next season, and last year's opportunity-inflated numbers aren't a reliable indication of what's to come. Boldin's return to San Francisco has more real-life than fantasy impact. He'll be a low-ceiling, borderline WR3 in 2014 re-draft leagues. Look for Crabtree to reemerge as the Niners' No. 1 wideout. If the season began today, the 49ers' top three receivers would be Crabtree, Boldin, and promising sophomore Quinton Patton, with Vernon Davis at tight end.

Source: CSN Bay Area
Boldin is the best dynasty value at WR right now - in the ~WR60 range.

Users who are viewing this thread