What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Player Spotlight: Ben Utecht (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2008 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. Last year, we published more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters. This year will be no different.

Each week we will post a list of players to be discussed. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discussion expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Ben Utecht, TE, Cincinnati Bengals

Player Page Link: Ben Utecht Player Page

Each article will include:

Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member
Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads
FBG Projections
Consensus Member ProjectionsThe Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

Focus commentary on the player in question, and your expectations for said player
Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"
To be included in the final synopsis and consensus outlook, you MUST provide projections for the playerProjections should include (at a minimum):

For QBs: Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Yards, Rush TDs
For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs
For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDsNow let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

I just don't understand why Utecht is getting drafted and especially as high as he is going. I think that the loss of C Henry and the questions about Chad Johnson have fueled this optimism, but the fact remains that the Bengals haven't used their TE as an integral part of the passing attack in a while.

TE Targets for the last four years (04, 05, 06, & 07) have gone from 67 down to 49, then 51, and 43 last year. I just don't see a huge change in 08. I think that one of the rookie WRs will have an opportunity to produce, but not Utecht and not any TE.

Utecht 40 targets 26 catches 260 yards 10.0 ypc and 2 TDs

I think the FBG's Projections are low...

They went after BenU because they wanted a passing weapon on Offense.. If they wanted a blocking TE; they would of gone after someone else. The Cutting of Henry and ?? around CJ (there are no ?, CJ will be there) just means that Utecht will have more Targets.

40+ Recs, about 500 yds, 4 TDs

I just don't understand why Utecht is getting drafted and especially as high as he is going. I think that the loss of C Henry and the questions about Chad Johnson have fueled this optimism, but the fact remains that the Bengals haven't used their TE as an integral part of the passing attack in a while.

TE Targets for the last four years (04, 05, 06, & 07) have gone from 67 down to 49, then 51, and 43 last year. I just don't see a huge change in 08. I think that one of the rookie WRs will have an opportunity to produce, but not Utecht and not any TE.

We definitely see things differently on this one. The Bengals haven't used their TE position because they haven't had a TE worth having on the field. No NFL offense (save for maybe Mike Martz' :coffee: ) runs optimally without a solid TE. The Bengals have suffered aplenty in the middle of the field without a possession receiver to help move the chains and sustain drives; particularly when the running game struggles as it did in 2007. Is Utecht the second coming or someone that will emerge as an elite fantasy player? I hardly think so but he's a GREAT late round flier in 10- and 12-team leagues.According to the latest ADP data, Utecht is being drafted TE21 in the 23rd round of 10-team leagues. That's hardly an exorbitant ADP. Utecht is someone you can grab late in your draft as a backup with tons of upside and almost no discernible downside. If he whiffs in the first few weeks, you weren't counting on him as a starter in the first place and there are ALWAYS decent fill-in TES available on waivers if need be.

Was it by design or because of lack of talent that the Bengals didn't throw to their TE?

If you know the answer than you know which way to go on Utecht. If the latter he's got upside on a team with an uncertain running game and WR upheaval.

If so, 50/555/6

As previously said worth a TE2 flyer.

For those suggesting that Utecht 50/550/6, my question is how that impacts the offense. Last year, CIN had 4131/26 as a team passing. They got 32-333-0 from the TE spot last season. Let's say that they would now get an extra 250/6 from the TE position compared to last year.

So now what? Do we layer that on top of what the Bengals had last season passing wise or do we have to take that production away from other receivers?

BTW, in the recent team projections, here's what each staffer predicted for the Bengals offense passing wise vs 2007:

Dodds: -430 yards, -1 TD

Smith: -180 yards, +1 TD

Henry: -150 yards, +1 TD

Wood: -160 yards, Same TD

Tremblay: -250 yards, -2 TD

So if Utecht does see a breakout season, are we underprojecting the Bengals passing totals or do we need to start chopping away receiving production from other players?

For those suggesting that Utecht 50/550/6, my question is how that impacts the offense. Last year, CIN had 4131/26 as a team passing. They got 32-333-0 from the TE spot last season. Let's say that they would now get an extra 250/6 from the TE position compared to last year.So now what? Do we layer that on top of what the Bengals had last season passing wise or do we have to take that production away from other receivers?BTW, in the recent team projections, here's what each staffer predicted for the Bengals offense passing wise vs 2007:Dodds: -430 yards, -1 TDSmith: -180 yards, +1 TDHenry: -150 yards, +1 TDWood: -160 yards, Same TDTremblay: -250 yards, -2 TDSo if Utecht does see a breakout season, are we underprojecting the Bengals passing totals or do we need to start chopping away receiving production from other players?
I project Utecht with 35 receptions, 370 yards and 3 TDs; so I can't speak to what others are thinking on that front.

I'm starting to come around on the outlook for Cincinnati's offense on the whole for 2008. Perennial pro-bowl tackles Willie Anderson and Levi Jones are now healthy after an injury-plagued 2007. CJ looks like he's falling in line and will be at mandatories. Chris Perry looks to be healthy (for now) and as explosive as ever. Rudi, after slimming down in 2007 in a effort to gain some quicks, has put back on the mass that made him such a pile driver in previous seasons.

The main negative I see is the loss of Henry. For the past couple seasons, I've held the strong opinion that he was a central part of what made the offense so dynamic. Just look at the splits when he was in games vs. suspended. The offense was always much more bland without him, and I still believe that there is not another WR on this team that can do what he did with his speed, height and hops (to me he was always a poor, poor man's Randy Moss). To compensate, I believe the Bengals went in another direction, get a good pass catching TE in Utecht. What they lost in Henry's ability to get deep, they now have a weapon that can go over the middle. Granted, everyone looks good in camp and the season is a long way away, but when I think about the O-line returning to their previous glory, with CJ, TJ, Rudi/Perry and Utecht at Palmer's disposal, I get very excited for 2008.

One of their biggest issues last year was their horrible 3rd down conversion %. With Utecht on board, expect that to rise significantly, which will result in longer sustained drives, more scoring, etc.

The talk out of camp has been very positive with Utecht. He's been developing a good rapport with Palmer, who is very excited about his new weapon.

In the end, its hard to project a position that has been virtually non-existent for the Bengals since the beginning of time it seems, but signs point toward this offense having a very good year, with Utecht being an integral part of the offense.

Since I see the Bengals offense looking very much like the Colts from last year, I'll use Dallas Clark as a proxy, with less TDs.

Rec 40/ Yards 440 / Avg 11.0 / TDs 6

** projections edited after seeing Yudkin historical stats.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't even remember him being that good when he was with the Colts. Looks like just another tight end to me. How much upside can he have anyway? At best he's the third best receiving option on the team and that's by a wide margin.

I don't even remember him being that good when he was with the Colts. Looks like just another tight end to me. How much upside can he have anyway? At best he's the third best receiving option on the team and that's by a wide margin.
:football: He's not that good. Plus he gets hurt often.The Colts offense is very TE friendly; that's where the illusion of his ability was created.

The way we hear it, TE Ben Utecht could quietly cut into the number of catches that starting WRs Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh make this season. Utecht, a former role player in Indianapolis' potent offense, is the most capable receiver the Bengals have had at the position in head coach Marvin Lewis' six seasons with the club. Don't be surprised if Utecht becomes one of QB Carson Palmer's top targets on 3rd-and-short situations - scenarios in which Houshmandzadeh has thrived over the years. Utecht's catch total may also get a boost if a clear-cut No. 3 receiver does not emerge. Rookies Jerome Simpson and Andre Caldwell are in the mix for the job, as are veterans Antonio Chatman, Doug Gabriel and Glenn Holt. - PFW
I don't think they signed him to a 3-year, $9 million contract to block. I like the recipe in Cincinnati. Solid QB, porous defense, and good talent on the outside to soften the middle of the field for Utecht. Matt Hasselbeck and Carson Palmer have both been missing the TE piece to their game, both may have solved that problem this year in Carlson and Utecht. I'll be targeting both of those guys in drafts this year.49 rec - 510 yds - 6 td

The Bengals haven't used the TE much as a weapon in their attack by design, but the signing of Utecht shows that they seem to at least be entertaining the idea of adding that to their arsenal. I think it depends on how good Utecht is as a player. There are only so many balls to go around, but if he's just a product of the Indy system then it will show with his production. They aren't going to force feed him the ball if he doesn't capitalize on his opportunities. If he proves to be a reliable target, I could see him earning Palmer's confidence and becoming a possible redzone target for the offense. I don't think he'll be a stud by any means, but I think he'll get an opportunity to be a integral part of the passing attack if he can earn it. The team seems to be willing to change things up on both sides of the ball this year (perhaps out of desperation) and I think the signing of Utecht proves that on the offensive side of the ball. If Chris Perry proves to be completely healthy, then I could see that as a hindrance on Utecht's opportunity.

I'm starting to come around on the outlook for Cincinnati's offense on the whole for 2008. Perennial pro-bowl tackles Willie Anderson and Levi Jones are now healthy after an injury-plagued 2007. CJ looks like he's falling in line and will be at mandatories. Chris Perry looks to be healthy (for now) and as explosive as ever. Rudi, after slimming down in 2007 in a effort to gain some quicks, has put back on the mass that made him such a pile driver in previous seasons.

The main negative I see is the loss of Henry. For the past couple seasons, I've held the strong opinion that he was a central part of what made the offense so dynamic. Just look at the splits when he was in games vs. suspended. The offense was always much more bland without him, and I still believe that there is not another WR on this team that can do what he did with his speed, height and hops (to me he was always a poor, poor man's Randy Moss). To compensate, I believe the Bengals went in another direction, get a good pass catching TE in Utecht. What they lost in Henry's ability to get deep, they now have a weapon that can go over the middle. Granted, everyone looks good in camp and the season is a long way away, but when I think about the O-line returning to their previous glory, with CJ, TJ, Rudi/Perry and Utecht at Palmer's disposal, I get very excited for 2008.

One of their biggest issues last year was their horrible 3rd down conversion %. With Utecht on board, expect that to rise significantly, which will result in longer sustained drives, more scoring, etc.

The talk out of camp has been very positive with Utecht. He's been developing a good rapport with Palmer, who is very excited about his new weapon.

In the end, its hard to project a position that has been virtually non-existent for the Bengals since the beginning of time it seems, but signs point toward this offense having a very good year, with Utecht being an integral part of the offense.

Since I see the Bengals offense looking very much like the Colts from last year, I'll use Dallas Clark as a proxy, with less TDs.

Rec 55/ Yards 605 / Avg 11.0 / TDs 6
Surprised to see this quote. I felt Dallas got a lot more looks because Marvin was out in 2007. Utecht will be the third option unless one of the WRs emerges, such as Caldwell or Gabriel.

Surprised to see this quote. I felt Dallas got a lot more looks because Marvin was out in 2007. Utecht will be the third option unless one of the WRs emerges, such as Caldwell or Gabriel.
Gabriel's been released already.

I do believe Utecht will be the 3rd option. I was searching for a comparable offense (2 top flight WRs, strong running game) to gauge productivity. Maybe Ben Watson is a better benchmark? I suppose devil's advocate would say Leonard Pope?

I do believe Utecht will be the 3rd option. I was searching for a comparable offense (2 top flight WRs, strong running game) to gauge productivity. Maybe Ben Watson is a better benchmark? I suppose devil's advocate would say Leonard Pope?
In the past 10 years, here are the numbers for the primary TE on teams that had two Top 10 WRs . . .07 CIN Kelly 20-211-0 06 IND Clark 30-367-405 ARI Bergen 28-270-104 IND Clark 25-423-504 GBP Franks 34-361-702 BUF Riemersma 32-350-002 PIT Bruener 13-66-101 OAK Williams 33-298-300 STL Williams 11-102-300 DEN Carswell 49-495-300 MIN McWilliams 22-180-399 MIN Glover 28-327-199 CAR Walls 63-822-1298 MIN Glover 35-522-598 SFO Smith 25-266-5

In the past 10 years, here are the numbers for the primary TE on teams that had two Top 10 WRs . . .07 CIN Kelly 20-211-0 06 IND Clark 30-367-405 ARI Bergen 28-270-104 IND Clark 25-423-504 GBP Franks 34-361-702 BUF Riemersma 32-350-002 PIT Bruener 13-66-101 OAK Williams 33-298-300 STL Williams 11-102-300 DEN Carswell 49-495-300 MIN McWilliams 22-180-399 MIN Glover 28-327-199 CAR Walls 63-822-1298 MIN Glover 35-522-598 SFO Smith 25-266-5
All the little chicks with the crimson lips goYudkin rocks, Yudkin rocks!! :goodposting:

Thanks for the menu of choices, I'll choose this one as my projection for Utecht:

00 DEN Carswell 49-495-3

-QG

We definitely see things differently on this one. The Bengals haven't used their TE position because they haven't had a TE worth having on the field. No NFL offense (save for maybe Mike Martz' :lmao: ) runs optimally without a solid TE. The Bengals have suffered aplenty in the middle of the field without a possession receiver to help move the chains and sustain drives; particularly when the running game struggles as it did in 2007. Is Utecht the second coming or someone that will emerge as an elite fantasy player? I hardly think so but he's a GREAT late round flier in 10- and 12-team leagues.According to the latest ADP data, Utecht is being drafted TE21 in the 23rd round of 10-team leagues. That's hardly an exorbitant ADP. Utecht is someone you can grab late in your draft as a backup with tons of upside and almost no discernible downside. If he whiffs in the first few weeks, you weren't counting on him as a starter in the first place and there are ALWAYS decent fill-in TES available on waivers if need be.
and then later, Jason Wood's projection.................I project Utecht with 35 receptions, 370 yards and 3 TDs; so I can't speak to what others are thinking on that front.

I really don't see any fantasy TE starter numbers there. Where's the upside in that projection? Seems really close to my numbers, only 2.2 catches per game for 23 yards and 0.19 TDs.

Thanks for the work..It looks like high 30s in recs / about 400 yds / 4+ TDs in the norm... thats a great late round picku know what will happen, as we get closer to the season.. his ADP will increase by alot. But for now, hes a great pick.

No one should be projecting Utecht for 16 games. He's averaging 13 games played a year and he's on the injury report a LOT. Even if you like his chances of playing a decent role in the Cincy passing attack, optimism should be blunted a little by his injury history.

We definitely see things differently on this one. The Bengals haven't used their TE position because they haven't had a TE worth having on the field. No NFL offense (save for maybe Mike Martz' :) ) runs optimally without a solid TE. The Bengals have suffered aplenty in the middle of the field without a possession receiver to help move the chains and sustain drives; particularly when the running game struggles as it did in 2007. Is Utecht the second coming or someone that will emerge as an elite fantasy player? I hardly think so but he's a GREAT late round flier in 10- and 12-team leagues.According to the latest ADP data, Utecht is being drafted TE21 in the 23rd round of 10-team leagues. That's hardly an exorbitant ADP. Utecht is someone you can grab late in your draft as a backup with tons of upside and almost no discernible downside. If he whiffs in the first few weeks, you weren't counting on him as a starter in the first place and there are ALWAYS decent fill-in TES available on waivers if need be.
and then later, Jason Wood's projection.................I project Utecht with 35 receptions, 370 yards and 3 TDs; so I can't speak to what others are thinking on that front.

I really don't see any fantasy TE starter numbers there. Where's the upside in that projection? Seems really close to my numbers, only 2.2 catches per game for 23 yards and 0.19 TDs.
I'm not pimping the guy, I think he's genuinely one of those late round backups that could easily surprise, and you don't have to pay any risk to acquire him. But that doesn't mean I'm going to project unreasonable numbers for him. Now if CJ or Housh go down to injury, all bets are off. :)

I wouldnt even think of him as a fantasy starter. He isnt that good. He has alot of drops and when he gets hit after the catch he loses the ball. He is an average TE. I always thought of him and Fletcher as even talents and Flecther is a FA..Cincy saw something they liked. He WW FF material IMO

So our saying it ain't pretty, right?

I like Utect on the Bengals. I think there are enough doubts about what is going to happen this season, it's not hard to imagine that Housh falls off from a career year.

I like Ben to post about 40 catches 400 yds 4 TD.

Considering where he is being drafted, I think he's a steal as a TE2 in most 12 team leagues. Certainly a guy you can fall back upon late in the draft if you manage to secure Gates, Witten, Gonzo, or KWII.

Here's a piece today from Bengals.com's Geoff Hobson:

After a season the Bengals failed to run the ball and were unable to blow teams out of Cover 2 defenses, they went to free agency to add a tight end with numbers the Bengals haven't approached since Tony McGee in the late 1990s.But even though Utecht caught 68 balls for the Colts in the last two seasons, his role as an in-line blocker complementing Pro Bowl tight end Dallas Clark also drew the Bengals to him because of his versatility.As Bratkowski has indicated, Utecht's two-way game allows the Bengals to run more double tight-end sets, just the right tonic for an offense not only looking to run the ball better but also looking for that third vertical threat now missing with the loss of Chris Henry.Utecht's value as a team guy has already surfaced along with his Xs and Os possibilities. He's not only become close with Kelly, but he's spent many post-practice moments bonding with quarterback Carson Palmer."This is great for Ben because he's a pro, but now he's watching how the consummate pro does it," Hayes says. "And it's a great opportunity for Reg to work with a guy who's coming from an offense where the tight end is heavily involved in the passing game."

From what I've seen of Utecht:

Decent blocker. Can catch the ball - but is not super-athletic. Is prone to fumbling, and takes a lot of straight-on hits.

From what I've seen of Utecht:Decent blocker. Can catch the ball - but is not super-athletic. Is prone to fumbling, and takes a lot of straight-on hits.
He's fumbled 3 times in 71 career receptions (losing two of them). Basically he's put the ball on the carpet once every 24 receptions.By comparison, Dallas Clark has had 2 fumbles (1 lost) in 179 receptions.Ratios of other TEs . . .1 fumble for every ____ receptions:Gates 340Tony G 137HMiller 120 receptions, no fumblesWitten 116Heap 85McMichael 81EJohnson 80Crumpler 79 receptionsShockey 74Pollard 70LJ Smith 65Winslow 59Daniels 24Watson 23

If Utecht can avoid getting drilled by linebackers and safeties after catching the ball, he has a chance to be decent. He tends to get hit hard because he runs straight up after catching the ball and he's a big target. Keep in mind, even though Cinci has the perception of a great offense, they are no Indy.

30 receptions for 320 yards and 3 td's

In a while? Have they EVER?

-- Bengals Using Utecht as a Receiver --

Thu Aug 14, 2008 --from FFMastermind.com

The Cincinnati Enquirer reports the Bengals intend to use TE Ben Utecht as a receiver this season. In limited first-half play in the preseason opener against the Packers, Utecht had four receptions for 34 yards, including a 14-yard catch and run for a touchdown. "We said all along it was going to be different," HC Marvin Lewis said after the Bengals' 20-17 victory against the Packers. "Ben is a big target and gives us another option on offense." Utecht will be on the field with starting TE Reggie Kelly in two-tight end sets that can complicate life for opposing defenses. They were both on the field Monday night. On other plays, Utecht lined up as an H-back ahead of the tailback. Kelly and Utecht have meshed well on the field and off. Both men are evangelical Christians; Utecht, an accomplished singer, recorded an album of Christian music, some of it self-written, in Nashville during the offseason. In the view of Bengals tight ends coach Jonathan Hayes, Kelly is a "so-called" blocking tight end, Utecht a "so-called" receiving tight end. They've helped each other bolster their games. "Reggie really works with Ben in the run (blocking) aspect of the game, and he works with all of them, TE Matt Sherry and TE Nate Lawrie," Hayes said. "And you see Ben giving Reggie tips on the passing game." Kelly has three touchdown receptions with the Bengals and five for his career. He played his first four NFL seasons in Atlanta. Utecht had three touchdown catches of his 71 career receptions for the Colts.

Users who are viewing this thread