What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Player Spotlight: Frank Gore (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2008 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. Last year, we published more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters. This year will be no different.

Each week we will post a list of players to be discussed. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discussion expectations for the player in question. Importantly, analysis done in the first week of posting will be part of the permanent record in two ways. 1) At the end of the week, we will tally the projections into a consensus. 2) We will select a number of pull quotes from forum contributors who make a compelling statement or observation. Both the projections and pull quotes will be part of a published article on the main website.

Thread Topic: Frank Gore, RB, San Francisco 49ers

Player Page Link: Frank Gore Player Page

Each article will include:

Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member
Highlighted member commentary from the message board threads
FBG Projections
Consensus Member ProjectionsThe Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

Focus commentary on the player in question, and your expectations for said player
Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"
To be included in the final synopsis and consensus outlook, you MUST provide projections for the playerProjections should include (at a minimum):

For QBs: Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Yards, Rush TDs
For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs
For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDsNow let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

seems like people are really high on his prospects or really down on them. I think hes going to be one of the best fantasy RBs this season

300 1320 8 75 rec 600 yds 4

seems like people are really high on his prospects or really down on them. I think hes going to be one of the best fantasy RBs this season

that seems like a bit much. he hasn't recorded more than 61 receptions. and now there is more WR talent than before surrounding him to take away his receptions.I think Gore is a huge risk, huge upside pick this year. Martz can absolute SINK him by not including him in playcalls if they throw 45 times a game. If "crazy Martz" is not around, Gore has the talent to put up Faulk-like numbers.

I'll take the middle ground:

280 carries, 1300 yards (4.8YPC), 5 TDs .... 55 receptions, 400 yards, 2 TDs

that seems like a bit much. he hasn't recorded more than 61 receptions. and now there is more WR talent than before surrounding him to take away his receptions.I think Gore is a huge risk, huge upside pick this year. Martz can absolute SINK him by not including him in playcalls if they throw 45 times a game. If "crazy Martz" is not around, Gore has the talent to put up Faulk-like numbers.

Kevin Jones had 61 receptions in 12 games in year 1 under Mike Martz in 2005 (on pace for 81 in 16 gms). I see minimum 70 receptions for Gore.

Kevin Jones had 61 receptions in 12 games in year 1 under Mike Martz in 2005 (on pace for 81 in 16 gms). I see minimum 70 receptions for Gore.
I agree with the high reception forecast for Gore for this very reason. Going into the 2006 season I forecast KJ to go over 60 catches and he beat that in 12 games. RB's in the Martz system are going to catch passes, which is why I never understood why the Lions acquired Tatum Bell unless they hoped he would learn to be a good pass catcher like KJ learned. Gore caught 61 passes in 2006 and 53 last year while missing a game which based on a reception per game basis over the last two seasons averages out to 59 catches per year based on 16 games. I expect Martz will get that total up at l 20-25%. I don't see anything less than 70 in a full 16 game season but right now I'm predicting he goes over 80 receptions288 carries for 1,325 yards and 8 TD's, 81 receptions for 665 yards and 2 TD's. Fantastic numbers, especially in PPR leagues, but lack of TD's will still hold him back from rising up into top 2-3 numbers in PPG. I've got him rated #4 in PPR leagues.

I agree with the high reception forecast for Gore for this very reason. Going into the 2006 season I forecast KJ to go over 60 catches and he beat that in 12 games. RB's in the Martz system are going to catch passes, which is why I never understood why the Lions acquired Tatum Bell unless they hoped he would learn to be a good pass catcher like KJ learned. Gore caught 61 passes in 2006 and 53 last year while missing a game which based on a reception per game basis over the last two seasons averages out to 59 catches per year based on 16 games. I expect Martz will get that total up at l 20-25%. I don't see anything less than 70 in a full 16 game season but right now I'm predicting he goes over 80 receptions288 carries for 1,325 yards and 8 TD's, 81 receptions for 665 yards and 2 TD's. Fantastic numbers, especially in PPR leagues, but lack of TD's will still hold him back from rising up into top 2-3 numbers in PPG. I've got him rated #4 in PPR leagues.
Eighty receptions, wow. The O will go through Gore but also many different looks w 4 wideouts, V. Davis in the backfield, and Robinson and Foster mixing it up too. Even though He doesn't like to come out of the game, I think Gore may get more breathers also. He probably will be the team's leading receiver which is consistent with what you predict, but I feel - with the receivers opening up the field - he can avg. 5 yards a carry if they get him the ball on the ground.Not so many catches or carries though, I think:225/1150-1200/6 rushing60-65/845/5 receivingI hope he gets 2000 yards any way he wants though!

Considering he played in the worst offense in the NFL last season and was hurt for a good chunk of it Frank Gore actually played pretty well (especially in the last 6 games of the season). I can't see Mike Martz being worse for him than whoever the last coordinator was so I'm not really worried about that. Frank Gore is a stud that's shown that he plays well on bad teams. Imagine if the 49ers were ever a good team with him on it. As noted his already lofty reception totals should increase this season. Touchdowns probably won't be high but you can never tell for sure about those.

Low-downside, high-upside, proven talent. Frank Gore is a solid running back to build a fantasy team around.

:angry: and about 800 yards rushing...in PPR leagues, Gore is money in the bank..as for TD's and rushing yards, don't expect too much..see Lamont Jordan , 2005 ( 70 rec., 1025 yards rushing). You'll see nearly identical numbers com from Gore this season. Martz doesn't like to call 'running' plays, Gore is no Marshall Faulk, Alex Smith is not Kurt Warner, Holt doesn't play for SF, and Bruce is a washed up has-been..

Also, lets not forget , Alex Smith will be learning yet another offensive system this year, Larry Allen has retired, and Martz is fickle. How many games will Smith last before you see a full blown QB controversy in SF?!

Gore has played a full 16 game schedule just once since turning pro ( 2006)..

If someone has a stat service that they can use to decipher the # of carries Gore ran towards Larry Allen's side, please post it..if the majority of Gore's carries went that way, Allen's departure creates a huge void..

Gore

225 carries, 900 yards( 4.0 per clip), 5 tds

75 rec, 637 yards, 4 tds

decent stats for sure...a poor man's Westbrook, including the injury risk.

Frank Gore has been a key componenet of the 49er offense for the past two years. He is a compact 5-10 220 pound bundle of energy. He has piled up 4th ranking in 06 with 312 carries and last year he finished as RB9 as he missed a game and had 260 rushing attempts. Without him in those two years the 49er offense would have been nothing. This year optimism is up for some as Martz comes to town so there are quite a few that are pushing the limit with their projections for Gore and all things 49er.

I think that the 49ers could continue to struggle without efficient QB play and the changes could affect Gore in a negative way. I think that he'll have a solid year, but will slip some from his two previous outstanding seasons. I may be crazy, but I do see them using Foster just a little to help keep Gore fresh. He has had very little RB support in the past two years.

Frank Gore 275 carries 1155 yards 4.2 ypc and 55 receptions for 440 yards 8.0 ypc and 7 TDs

I'm extremely high on Gore and can see Martz utilizing him much like Marshall Faulk during his years at St. Louis. Gore is a much more talented RB than Kevin Jones and Martz will completely run the offense around Gore.

15 games - 270 carries for 1,188 yards (4.40 YPC), 8 TD, 77 catches for 639 yards (8.30 YPC), 2 TD.

That's good for 18 carries per game and 5 catches per game for a total of 23 touches, which sounds reasonable.

Which teams last season had fewer yards on offense than the San Francisco 49ers?

Which teams last season scored fewer points on offense than the San Francisco 49ers?

Here's a hint. None of them. The 49ers were the worst offense in the NFL last season. Yet Frank Gore still had a good season. They can only go up from here. If Mike Martz has a pulse the 49ers will be better on offense this season.

Frank Gore:

Who do we get, last year's back (which is OK but his ADP is higher than what he finished, 9th) or the STUD we saw 2 years ago. Add to the mix Mike Martz who traditionally uses his feature back in all aspects of the offense, there's definately potential for Gore to have a big year.

My problem is that S.F. has no proven QB and Gore isn't going to catch defenses off guard like he did 2 years ago. Unless he gets help from the passing game to make defenses play him honest, I think we see the Gore of last year which is solid but not a top tier back. Boost him a little bit in your PPR leagues.

1150 yards and 7 td's with 55 receptions for 500 yards and 2 td's

Isn't Martz part of the reason Faulk put up the numbers he did? Martz saw the talent in Faulk and utilized it. I trust he'll utilize him as much as possible. He is clearly one of the, if not THE, most talented players on the team. I also feel the extra WR talent will do nothing but help Gore. Holt and Bruce in their prime didn't seem to hurt Faulk's numbers at all. Of course, this was "The Greatest Show on Turf" and I don't think SF's offense can be compared to that.300-1260-7 and 65-525-4

Last edited by a moderator:
Gore is Mr. Injury prone. Funny thing is, he's missed 3 games in 3 years. He's yet to average 20 carries per game in a season, but he's touched it more than 20 times per each of the last 2. With Martz in town, Gore's receptions should increase...hard to believe he'll see more than the 50-60 he has, but bank on it. The rushing attempts won't dissappear...they'll be less than they should be, but there will be plenty of them. Gore has a good defense in a bad division to keep them in games, and the playoff hunt all season. He also has a BAD supporting cast around him, meaning he'll see the ball pretty much all he can handle

256 Rushes

1203 Rushing Yards

9 Tds

80 Receptions

648 Yards

4 Receiving Tds

Gore is Mr. Injury prone. Funny thing is, he's missed 3 games in 3 years. He's yet to average 20 carries per game in a season, but he's touched it more than 20 times per each of the last 2. With Martz in town, Gore's receptions should increase...hard to believe he'll see more than the 50-60 he has, but bank on it. The rushing attempts won't dissappear...they'll be less than they should be, but there will be plenty of them. Gore has a good defense in a bad division to keep them in games, and the playoff hunt all season. He also has a BAD supporting cast around him, meaning he'll see the ball pretty much all he can handle256 Rushes1203 Rushing Yards9 Tds80 Receptions648 Yards4 Receiving Tds
I just am not seeing a ton of downside and a lot of upside for Gore. Their team is getting better. Martz will find lots of ways to use Gore. I see him in front of Addai and Barber. LTWesty (very close with AP - just feel a bit safer right now about him)APSJax (still would be very happy happy with him - just get into camp dammit!!)GorePortisLynchAddaiLJ (yes - riskier, but if I retain my nads - I would take hime over Barber and McGahee)BarberMcGaheeGrant

The thing that scares me is that he's playing for the 49ers under Martz.

Anyone remember what the Kevan Barlow thread was like in pre-season, a few years back? I'm having trouble shaking that gross feeling about Gore's prospects this year...

Anyone remember what the Kevan Barlow thread was like in pre-season, a few years back? I'm having trouble shaking that gross feeling about Gore's prospects this year...
Uhhhhh, no.Kevin Barlow doesn't even exist in the same universe as Gore.

???If he were on the Falcons, Dolphins, Jets, etc. under the same circumstances you wouldn't feel as poorly because they have a different team name??

Gore has proven he is not a flop - look at the last two seasons. Barlow had a great half season when the team was good and fell off a cliff when the team stunk. Gore has been very good WITH a lousy team.

Gore is being rated in the 7 - 12 pick range in the first round. That's pretty fair because there is some risk with Gore given SF's offensive struggles. Finishing #32 in the NFL in total offense does not help any fantasy player. However, it's important to note that Gore finished with a solid fantasy season despite a horrific WR corps and an offensive coordinator who by all accounts was terrible.

Bryant Johnson and Isaac Bruce are an upgrade at WR no matter how you slice it. Yes, Bruce is in the twilight of his career. But his familiarity with the Martz system practically qualifies Bruce as an extra WR coach. Bryant Johnson is better than any WR SF used last season. These receiving threats will help Gore.

Gore is an elite talent that is working overtime to learn the Martz system. He's lost weight, he knows the playbook, and Gore is an excellent receiver.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Projections: 260 carries, 1,400 yards 7 rush TDs / 65 receptions, 450 yards, 3 receiving TDs

My point is, bad teams can tank good RBs. LJ, Corey Dillon, McGahee, etc. etc.

And, yes, as it turned out, Barlow s*cked

My point is, bad teams can tank good RBs. LJ, Corey Dillon, McGahee, etc. etc.And, yes, as it turned out, Barlow s*cked
I don't recall Dillon's history so he may fit your example. When did McGahee tank? His time with the Bills was steady and he looked fine with Baltimore last season. And LJ...he was hurt last year. Let's not write him off yet...The Niners have BEEN a bad team. Frank Gore doens't know the Niners as being anything other than lousy. He's BY FAR their best offensive weapon. Barring injury he's not going to fall off a cliff - crappy team or not. What little offense this team has will run through him.

hard to believe he'll see more than the 50-60 he has, but bank on it.
I'd sooner bank on Circuit City's future. It's asking a LOT of ANY RB to improve on 50-60 receptions.
Gore has a good defense in a bad division to keep them in games, and the playoff hunt all season.
lol - yeah hold your breath.
I suggest you find better examples.Anyway I'm on the fence on Gore. Largely a question how cheap he comes I think.

hard to believe he'll see more than the 50-60 he has, but bank on it.
I'd sooner bank on Circuit City's future. It's asking a LOT of ANY RB to improve on 50-60 receptions.
Gore has a good defense in a bad division to keep them in games, and the playoff hunt all season.
lol - yeah hold your breath.
I suggest you find better examples.Anyway I'm on the fence on Gore. Largely a question how cheap he comes I think.
How cheap? In PPR he's a top 3-7 pick and non PPR I don't see him falling out of the 2nd round. How cheap do you think you can get him?

I auction draft and in this league, who knows......
My sense is that 49er fans might be giddy and overvalue Gore, whereas non fans are skeptical that the 49ers will be any better this year. So perhaps it depends on the amount of 9er fans in your league.

I know any NFL RB can be injury prone due to the amount of hits these guys take, but I've always had Frank Gore in the same type of tier as Deuce McAllister. I think Gore will end up having a career much like McAllister. For whatever reason, they just have that body type that breaks down and suffers both nagging injuries and serious injuries. There are very few players that I avoid due to injury potential, but Gore is one of those players. He is undraftable to me at his current ADP. He's a great talent but I'll let someone else take the chance at 1.6.

bump for people who don't realize these player spotlights exist.
dude, are you always this personable?every comment I see from you is some kind of jerked off spew.ok, you either want to draft him or you have him in a dynasty league. so what.search --> +frank +gore --> click go --> shut up.

bump for people who don't realize these player spotlights exist.
One of the 5 worst shark pool posters, hands down.
Help me out here. I don't know BigRed's history, but it seems to me he is just trying to clean up the shark pool here. Trying to consolidate a bunch of posts about the same player seems innocent enough to me. Now I agree he could have been more diplomatic about it, but I personally like the effort.

Hmmm, I was hoping to find some good discussion on Gore here. Not so much ...Here is a writeup from nationalfootballpost.com on New System which talks about Martz impact in SF. Also, I wasn't able to watch the game last night, how did Gore look? Sounded like O'Sullivan was able to move the team. IMO, that will be crucial to Gore's 08 value ...

San Francisco 49ers: After a miserable 2007 season that saw the 49ers finish as the worst offensive unit in the NFL, San Francisco brought in Mike Martz to run the offense and try to right the ship. Martz’s system requires a QB with a strong arm capable of making deep throws down the field. As of the current moment, the unproven and inexperienced J.T. O’Sullivan appears to be the Week 1 starter. If O’Sullivan can pick up the system and build a rapport with his wide outs, he could have the potential to put up some interesting numbers (see: Jon Kitna, Detroit Lions). The good news for O’Sullivan is that he spent 2007 in Detroit with Martz, so he should already be familiar with the new San Francisco scheme. He isn’t draft worthy as of now, but O’Sullivan will be interesting to follow on the waiver wire early in the season. RB Frank Gore is not the typical style of back that Mike Martz prefers (see: Marshall Faulk). The new system in the Bay Area will likely increase Gore’s passing targets, while decreasing his touches running the football. Gore has explosive open field speed and has caught 114 passes in his last 31 games. He runs with power and has the ability to break tackles, giving him the opportunity to punch in the scores when the 49ers reach the red zone. There are a couple of things to watch out for here. First, newly acquired RB DeShaun Foster could steal some carries. Second, the inability of O’Sullivan to move the ball down the field would limit Gore’s potential for top tier production. As with Portis above, Gore should be targeted between the 10th and 20th picks.

Users who are viewing this thread