What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Plummer to get benched? (1 Viewer)

menobrown

Footballguy
I did not catch if it was going to be tomorrow or next week but Adam Shefter reported on NFLN that Plummer has lost his job.

I can't say this is a complete surprise, but having Cutler come in and play his first game at Arrowhead in a must win situation is quite a load. I don't think this season will end well for the Broncos with Cutler.

The rumblings are VERY LOUD at Dove Valley. Adam is nails, especially when it comes to Broncos information.

Cutler takes over next week.

Because they're one game out of the division lead? :confused: This sounds like a Mort-ism to me.
Anything is possible but Shefter was a Bronco beat writer for several years. And yes they are one game out of the division lead but maybe that's in spite of Plummer and not because of him.

Because they're one game out of the division lead? :confused: This sounds like a Mort-ism to me.
I'm in the same boat. You are the leading team for the wild card and still have a shot at winning the division and you have a knee jerk reaction to start a rookie on a short week vs. a division rival on a nationally televised stage? Even Shanny the rat wouldn't be that sneaky.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be pretty surprised if Cutler got the start this week (let alone sometime later this season), given it was a short preparation week for a very important division game.

This KC game is extremely important for the team, and for 2 starters: Jake Plummer and Tatum Bell.

Both could lose their jobs if they don't perform. Broncos have 10 days off before they face Seattle, plenty of time for Cutler/Nash to prepare.

This KC game is extremely important for the team, and for 2 starters: Jake Plummer and Tatum Bell.

Both could lose their jobs if they don't perform. Broncos have 10 days off before they face Seattle, plenty of time for Cutler/Nash to prepare.
No Mike?

Did Scheffter mean the KC game or the Seahawks game?

Scheffter is usually spot on (Bailey trade among others) so I'll take his over anybody's when it comes to Broncos.

Come on Cecil and use those reporting skills and find the answer.

Will he get benched during the KC game, before it, after it? What?

I NEED ANSWERS!!!

And what if Denver wins? I can't see them replacing Plummer if they beat KC...
Playing hop-scotch and jerking around all your positional players has to be playing havoc on the Broncos morale. Especially after losing to SD and Indy in Denver. I've never seen Shanahan look so helpless on a sideline before. He seems to have lost faith in his D, his QB, and his RBs. The KC game is going to be a tipping point for this team. Either they pull it together or they spiral.

I'm seeing the Cutler in for the Seattle game speculation pretty much everywhere I look. Based on Plummers play, I don't disagree either.

That being said - if we are hearing these rumors, the Broncos are probably hearing them as well. It will be interesting to see how the team responds - do they rally around Jake? The team could save his job.

Come on Cecil and use those reporting skills and find the answer.Will he get benched during the KC game, before it, after it? What?I NEED ANSWERS!!!
The KC game is really going to decide this. If they lose, and Jake is underwhelming then Cutler will be the guy. And Tatum had better go OFF on Thanksgiving or his job is in jeopardy.

I'm seeing the Cutler in for the Seattle game speculation pretty much everywhere I look. Based on Plummers play, I don't disagree either.That being said - if we are hearing these rumors, the Broncos are probably hearing them as well. It will be interesting to see how the team responds - do they rally around Jake? The team could save his job.
:goodposting:

Two likely AFC opponents that the Broncos may have to play in the playoffs, Indy/SD, came into their house and beat them. Plummer was not good in either game. He wasn't horrible in the Indy game 13-21-174-1-1 but he was in the SD game 13-28-0-1 (and a couple fumbles I believe). He's ranked 37th among QB's (some of which have only played a few games) but the only starting QB's that have started more than 3 games ranked lower than Plummer are Garrard, Leinart, V. Young and A. Walter (all 1st year qb's). That is some terrible company right there. Consider that Plummer has the benefit of a top running game and a top defense it makes his #'s look that much worse.

All that being said I am surprised that they would make the move but they realistically aren't going to win with him at QB and you really can't get too much worse.

And what if Denver wins? I can't see them replacing Plummer if they beat KC...
Playing hop-scotch and jerking around all your positional players has to be playing havoc on the Broncos morale. Especially after losing to SD and Indy in Denver. I've never seen Shanahan look so helpless on a sideline before. He seems to have lost faith in his D, his QB, and his RBs. The KC game is going to be a tipping point for this team. Either they pull it together or they spiral.
another :goodposting:

I doubt they've made a decision about next week already. They'll look at the game tape of Thursday's game on Friday. Why make a decision before then? It's not like they're putting in the game plan for the Seahawks already. They've got the Chiefs to worry about this week. They'll worry about the Seahawks game after that.

Come on Cecil and use those reporting skills and find the answer.Will he get benched during the KC game, before it, after it? What?I NEED ANSWERS!!!
The KC game is really going to decide this. If they lose, and Jake is underwhelming then Cutler will be the guy. And Tatum had better go OFF on Thanksgiving or his job is in jeopardy.
That last sentence about Tater made me go out and pickup Nash. Probably jumping the gun, but when you are talking about your rb4/5 you roll the dice. Here's to the Chiefs shutting down the Broncos run game :D

Confirmed:

Jake Plummer to start November 23rd

Jay Cutler to start on December 3rd.

This is breaking news on NFL Network.

Confirmed:Jake Plummer to start November 23rdJay Cutler to start on December 3rd.This is breaking news on NFL Network.
Wow, if true how can a lame duck Plummer go out there and perform? His confidence is already shot and this certainly won't help on tomorrow night. I wonder if he struggles in the 1st half if he'll get yanked.

I really don't get it. What does this do to Plummer's mindset going into the game tommorow? He knows he's gonna get benched no matter how well he plays?As a Denver fan, i was/am excited to see Cutler play, but it doesn't seem right to announce it 2 weeks in advance....At least wait till after the KC game.eta:

Wow, if true how can a lame duck Plummer go out there and perform? His confidence is already shot and this certainly won't help on tomorrow night. I wonder if he struggles in the 1st half if he'll get yanked.
exactly.

Confirmed:Jake Plummer to start November 23rdJay Cutler to start on December 3rd.This is breaking news on NFL Network.
This is :loco: . You don't tell your starting QB in a HUGE divisional game that he has lost his job before he even plays.

I really don't get it. What does this do to Plummer's mindset going into the game tommorow? He knows he's gonna get benched no matter how well he plays?As a Denver fan, i was/am excited to see Cutler play, but it doesn't seem right to announce it 2 weeks in advance....At least wait till after the KC game.
exactly, I've never heard of such a thing before.

If Jake struggles, with this news I think he will, then I'd expect Cutler to come in during half time.

The first thing that crossed my mind when reading this post was why on earth would any media guy (and I mean no disrespect at all to Schefter) know what Shanahan's plans were in two games time when we don't know until the hour before kick off who is playing and who isn't?

Can we get a "clearly this is just a ploy..." in here?

What if Jake throws for 400 yards and four TDS?

Oh, boy. The streets of Denver will not be safe now. Plummer's road rage will know no bounds! :) Seriously, guys? How will he perform knowing he is a 'lame duck' QB, like any professional I would hope. After watching Sunday night's game, its quite possible he cannot play worse, and I think Shannahan knows it.

I really don't get it. What does this do to Plummer's mindset going into the game tommorow? He knows he's gonna get benched no matter how well he plays?As a Denver fan, i was/am excited to see Cutler play, but it doesn't seem right to announce it 2 weeks in advance....At least wait till after the KC game.
exactly, I've never heard of such a thing before.
wow...it just got REAL interesting... :popcorn:

I can see with a QB like Brees or Favre you might want to motivate them to fight for their job, but Plummer is really emotional. You can't #### with him like that and expect him to play well. Personally, I think the drafting of Cutler is part of the reason he is struggling. Not that it was a mistake, but geez, give Plummer a break.

to add a little more intrigue - the Seattle game will be broadcast sunday night on NBC - flex scheduled game of week 13.

link

Denver is already thinking of trading (Jake the snake). Guess what team (they just lost their QB for the season! :lmao:
We talk about this in the week 12 preview of The Audible:Part 1:

click here

Part 2:

click here
Thanks Cecil for that info...but not all members go to that audible some rather read about it..I do thats for sure (I'm deaf).
Just wanted to say Cecil this was not a joke..I'm really deaf..I know alot kid around here..but not me. :bye:

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. What if Plummer goes off and has a great game tomorrow? Someone has to be playing games here, or Shanahan has gone certifiably insane.

Can we talk about hoe Cutler might do rest of this year, esp. with the broncos easy schedule.

from what i've read, he's got pretty good smart and guts. maybe he pulls a Roethlisberger?

Can we talk about hoe Cutler might do rest of this year, esp. with the broncos easy schedule.from what i've read, he's got pretty good smart and guts. maybe he pulls a Roethlisberger?
I could see a Roethlisberger type performance, but if you are speaking from a fantasy perspective Roethlisberger did not put up a lot of points,

Can we talk about hoe Cutler might do rest of this year, esp. with the broncos easy schedule.from what i've read, he's got pretty good smart and guts. maybe he pulls a Roethlisberger?
Not sure what schedule you're looking at. Assuming he starts with Seattle, they will have Hass/Alex back, then @ SD. Those are two tough games. I agree though that he has a similar Roethlisberger setup in that he's got a top running game and a good defense so he won't be forced to throw a ton. He'll just have to make the completions he's supposed to make which Plummer isn't doing.

Users who are viewing this thread