What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Portis / Torain (1 Viewer)

I say there is little to no chance Portis plays... I am starting Torain but only because I have to, not excited about it. I doubt he does much but hopefully he can fall into the end zone. Problem is if Eagles go up big Torain won't even be on the field.

I say there is little to no chance Portis plays... I am starting Torain but only because I have to, not excited about it. I doubt he does much but hopefully he can fall into the end zone. Problem is if Eagles go up big Torain won't even be on the field.
Great point. Will be interesting to see if Philly defense focuses on the run or pass. Last time they were geared up to stop former teammate McNabb, so Shanahan wisely kept running the ball. Washington's best chance to stay in the game would seem to be to run the ball and shorten the game. But with their backs banged up, that might not be feasible.I can't see starting Portis any week for rest of season. And this is likely the last week that Torain is a solid play. Beginning next week it's likely 8-10 carries for each of them, making neither guy startable.

Yeah, I wonder if it is a blowout whether Keiland is really the sleeper here. I could see him with like 80 total yards, 5 receptions, and a TD if it breaks right (ie, wrong for the Skins).

Not sure why people are assuming that Philly will be up big thus rendering Torain useless. This is an NFC East game on Monday night with Washington at home and McNabb stewing over the previous game.

I'd expect this game to be close with Torain playing a pretty big role.

For the second time this season, I have all 3 backs on my roster. I can't even consider taking a chance at starting any one of them this week, especially with the game on a Monday night and no way to back out if I find out before game time that I made the wrong choice.

This situation is a mess, but I think that once it sorts itself out in a couple of weeks, we'll have Torain getting most of the carries.

According to coach Mike Shanahan, Ryan Torain (hamstring) was able to take more practice reps on both Thursday and Friday than Clinton Portis (groin).

Just more confirmation that Shanny is playing games with us. The head coach said Wednesday that Portis did more work than Torain, but the running backs have apparently traded paces in their respective recoveries. Both players were listed as "limited" in Friday's practice. Torain seems more likely than Portis to play Monday night, but we wouldn't count on either.
:mellow: Post updates as you see them, please.

I am really hoping Torain has at least a decent day, because I will than proceed to salvage whatever I can for him. I almost traded him before the Lions game, figured I should keep him and let him run over Detroit than deal him. Should have pulled the trigger.

I am really hoping Torain has at least a decent day, because I will than proceed to salvage whatever I can for him. I almost traded him before the Lions game, figured I should keep him and let him run over Detroit than deal him. Should have pulled the trigger.
even with a good game people do not have faith in him. It will be hard to get any quality value for him.

Are the people who expect Philly to be up and up big forgettig the last game between these two teams?

Washington manhandled the Eagles in Philly. What has changed since then?

Are the people who expect Philly to be up and up big forgettig the last game between these two teams?

Washington manhandled the Eagles in Philly. What has changed since then?
A dude named Michael Vick

And 17-12 is hardly mandhandling

I've got both Torain and Williams on the roster and am at a decision point --who is the play? My head tells me Torain, and my heart tells me...well, Torain. I don't think this is close. If Torain plays, which we should know before the game, then he is healthy enough to be at full force. Clinton Portis i think turns into the 3rd down back for the rest of the year, once healthy.

I think Shannahan makes things confusing, but i'm pretty sure this is one of those "worry for no reason" situations, where all Torain owners worry, and then he comes out and rushes for 100+ yards with 2TDs. In fact, i'm close to dropping Keiland Williams now.

even with a good game people do not have faith in him. It will be hard to get any quality value for him.
I agree. I've been shopping him all year and you can't get anything for him.

For the second time this season, I have all 3 backs on my roster. I can't even consider taking a chance at starting any one of them this week, especially with the game on a Monday night and no way to back out if I find out before game time that I made the wrong choice. This situation is a mess, but I think that once it sorts itself out in a couple of weeks, we'll have Torain getting most of the carries.
Just change the names and it's Shanny in Denver all over again...erm, except Torain. :own3d:

From Rotoworld. It is looking like Torain will be the starter.

Redskins RB Ryan Torain (hamstring) is expected to start Monday in Week 10 against the Eagles.

Said coach Mike Shanahan on Clinton Portis (groin), we won't "take a chance if we don't think it's in the best interests of him and the best interests in the team. That's why we're evaluating it." This comes after Saturday's practice, and at this point it appears Torain will be the team's lead horse with Keiland Williams backing up. Torain comes in as our No. 26 ranked running back for Week 10.

Source: Washington Post

Related: Clinton Portis, Keiland Williams

Well, the Torain train was fun while it lasted. We all knew it was to good to be true for this to last through the FF playoffs. We all knew Torain would get hurt which would open the door for Shanahanigans.

Seriously, I have Torain but am not starting him as I am starting Blount over him. However, I think if Torain was hurt, they would have signed James Davis off of the practice squad already since Portis looks like a no-go.

Seriously, I have Torain but am not starting him as I am starting Blount over him. However, I think if Torain was hurt, they would have signed James Davis off of the practice squad already since Portis looks like a no-go.
Hey underaciever do you have any idea when the deadline for the week is to sign a player off the practice squad and start activate him? I thought I read somewhere Sat :pickle: ?I have James Davis as wellAnybody?

:goodposting: Right now I'm starting Donald Brown over Torain, but may switch that up. Definitely looks like Torain's going to play, and they're just being careful with Portis since Williams can fill the backup role.As a Torain/Portis owner, I fully expect Torain to carry the load from here on out, with Portis sliding to third-down RB. Seems pretty clear-cut to me. :shrug:

Added Williams in 3 leagues (2 dynasty) to protect my MNF roster spot and it just feels like one of those watershed fantasy football moments.

"So there I was picking up Williams to make sure I didn't get a zero on a late scratch MNF, 6 weeks later, nobody ever refers to Billy Volek again in relation to fantasy football."

Not seriously expecting that to happen but Williams tore into an improving (and one that had almost completely shut down Torain before he got hurt) Detroit run D before the bye.

And yeah, I'm feeling Williams over Torain this week, factor in likely game flow (wash pass D bad, dsean good, Wash 0 play 2 minute style long time) and Torain's injury history (slow healer) tossed vigorously with a dash of Shananigans...i dunno, just a feeling.

Added Williams in 3 leagues (2 dynasty) to protect my MNF roster spot and it just feels like one of those watershed fantasy football moments."So there I was picking up Williams to make sure I didn't get a zero on a late scratch MNF, 6 weeks later, nobody ever refers to Billy Volek again in relation to fantasy football."Not seriously expecting that to happen but Williams tore into an improving (and one that had almost completely shut down Torain before he got hurt) Detroit run D before the bye.And yeah, I'm feeling Williams over Torain this week, factor in likely game flow (wash pass D bad, dsean good, Wash 0 play 2 minute style long time) and Torain's injury history (slow healer) tossed vigorously with a dash of Shananigans...i dunno, just a feeling.
I'm not feeling Williams as strongly as you are but I'm grabbing him and will likely start him as my RB3 over BGE. I figure they both have the same floor but maybe Williams has a higher ceiling in PPR formats.

Last time I sat a guy coming back 2 weeks after a hamstring injury ... McFadden.

Needless to say ... Torain will be in my lineup.

The latest news seems to indicate that it's safe to start Torain. I might pop him into my line up at some point today.

I was real close to putting him in my lineup but backed out. I feel bad for all the Torain owners that got suckered into starting him. I'm not sure how much we'll know going into next week either. I'm sure it will be more of the same. Torain, Portis...Portis Torain??? Hopefully this will all be straightened out before week 13.

Added Williams in 3 leagues (2 dynasty) to protect my MNF roster spot and it just feels like one of those watershed fantasy football moments."So there I was picking up Williams to make sure I didn't get a zero on a late scratch MNF, 6 weeks later, nobody ever refers to Billy Volek again in relation to fantasy football."Not seriously expecting that to happen but Williams tore into an improving (and one that had almost completely shut down Torain before he got hurt) Detroit run D before the bye.And yeah, I'm feeling Williams over Torain this week, factor in likely game flow (wash pass D bad, dsean good, Wash 0 play 2 minute style long time) and Torain's injury history (slow healer) tossed vigorously with a dash of Shananigans...i dunno, just a feeling.
*cough*Got lucky...

I was real close to putting him in my lineup but backed out. I feel bad for all the Torain owners that got suckered into starting him. I'm not sure how much we'll know going into next week either. I'm sure it will be more of the same. Torain, Portis...Portis Torain??? Hopefully this will all be straightened out before week 13.
I understand the dilemma. I don't understand how you don't even mention Keiland. I'm not saying he's the starter when the other guys are healthy, but I'm saying he should at least be in the discussion. With that being said, he didn't look very fast tonight, but he was productive.

I understand the dilemma. I don't understand how you don't even mention Keiland. I'm not saying he's the starter when the other guys are healthy, but I'm saying he should at least be in the discussion. With that being said, he didn't look very fast tonight, but he was productive.
Post right above yours...I realized how well Williams did...and mentioned it further complicates things. By about the middle of the second quarter I wasn't paying as close attention any more. Only recently realized Williams put in 3 touchdowns.Almost all of his success came after the Eagles put 35 points on the board. But still, his name is probably in the mix now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Post right above yours...I realized how well Williams did...and mentioned it further complicates things. By about the middle of the second quarter I wasn't paying as close attention any more. Only recently realized Williams put in 3 touchdowns.Almost all of his success came after the Eagles put 35 points on the board. But still, his name is probably in the mix now.
Good points. More than anything, I like to look at the game where Torain was pulled. Torain - I think it was against the Lions. Torain was having trouble creating anything. Once he was hurt and taken out of the game, Keiland was able to move the chains and eventually found the end zone. It can be argued that Torain helped wear down the defense, but I think Keiland's running was the difference.It could also be possible that team's didn't have a lot of tape of Keiland and/or weren't prepared for him, but I definitely like his odds going forward, especially since Torain/Portis both have injury histories.

i just dont get how your are unable to play on a hamstringinjury that you were able to take care of on your bye week.

torain just lost his chance of being a real rb in this league. now it is obvious that he is definately never going to escape his high chance of getting injured and nobody will think about signing him.

So hold Torain for now? Dump him? This looks like it could be a mess going forward.....
I had someone who proposed a trade to me of Torain & BJGE for Matt Ryan & CJ Spiller (throw-in) that I accepted as the game was winding down. Granted, I am in bad shape with my quarterbacks... but I see this being a mess that I don't want any part as a Torain owner.

Users who are viewing this thread