What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Possible LJ Landing Spot News Only (1 Viewer)

Five minutes ago from Jason LaCanfora's twitter account: Houston making a good push for Larry Johnson. favorites to get him at this point. Washington and Patriots possibilities, too.
They can't get over themselves for passing on Ced Benson.
Good point. He's (Benson) has been what they've been looking for all year and what LJ is. As I've said multiple times, it just makes too much sense for him to go to Houston.
But much older in NFL RB years.

Five minutes ago from Jason LaCanfora's twitter account: Houston making a good push for Larry Johnson. favorites to get him at this point. Washington and Patriots possibilities, too.
Good point. He's (Benson) has been what they've been looking for all year and what LJ is. As I've said multiple times, it just makes too much sense for him to go to Houston.
ya but he's better than anything they've got, he'll be cheap and they get a test ride for a half a year. If he's disruptive in the least bit he gets his walking papers. I suspect he'll be on his good behavior. There's only 540 carries difference between the 2 which is essentially 2 years even though they are 4 years apart. LJ has about the same amount of carries that SJax does and people aren't worried about him (at least I'm not).

ya but he's better than anything they've got, he'll be cheap and they get a test ride for a half a year. If he's disruptive in the least bit he gets his walking papers. I suspect he'll be on his good behavior. There's only 540 carries difference between the 2 which is essentially 2 years even though they are 4 years apart. LJ has about the same amount of carries that SJax does and people aren't worried about him (at least I'm not).
I said what you said in another thread, he's older but he started alter. So it's a fair point. I think they wiffed on Benson, but doesnt mean they should get LJ.

So far every team mentioned has come out and said "no thanks" except the Pats.

BB just says he'll get looked at like any free agent does. Unless someone was just out and out lying, it looks like NE is his last hope for fantasy relevance this year.

Can we just list every team in the NFL and cross out those that have already passed on him?

Out of those left who doesn't have a stud RB already so that LJ can actually go straight to starting or get the majority of the touches?

Even if he goes to NE it's gonna be a RBBC nightmare. It already is IMHO.

BB just says he'll get looked at like any free agent does. Unless someone was just out and out lying, it looks like NE is his last hope for fantasy relevance this year.
Didn't Philly publicly say "no thanks" before they signed Vick?

So far every team mentioned has come out and said "no thanks" except the Pats.BB just says he'll get looked at like any free agent does. Unless someone was just out and out lying, it looks like NE is his last hope for fantasy relevance this year.
So NE would take their time to increase negotiating leverage and tell LJ it's either my way or the highway??? Sounds like a good plan.

Didn't Philly publicly say "no thanks" before they signed Vick?
Exactly. When a team is negotiating with a guy, should they run out to the press and be all "OMG we NEED this guy, he is gonna make is AWESOME!!!111 WE WILL PAY WHATEVER HE WANTS!!!11." :no:

since my thread got :thumbup: thought i'd paste this here too.

Tracking the Interest in Former Chiefs RB Larry Johnsonby Joel Thorman on Nov 11, 2009 9:00 AM CST in 2009 Campaign 29 commentsMore photos » by Orlin Wagner - APTracking the Interest in Former Chiefs RB Larry Johnson. (AP Photo/Orlin Wagner)I don't know about you all but for some reason I find the process of Larry Johnson picking a new team fascinating. I know it's been talked about an awful lot but I really, really want to find out how he does in his new situation.That said, we're going to start tracking what all of these teams are saying about LJ as he sits on the open market. Is there reported interest? Reported rumors? Preferred landing spots?Or how about some clues, like the one we got from Adam Schefter this morning, "Larry Johnson's agent Peter Schaffer said he's 'talking with many teams and two you would never guess.' I tried to guess, he wouldn't bite."All of this will be found here. I went through a list of all the teams and picked out the reports I've found from the various NFL reporters. Some of this is hard information, like Bill Belichick saying the Patriots have talked about him, while others are just rumors, like the Seahawks since they kicked the tired on Edge this past month.After the jump, a listing of the teams that are reported or rumored to possibly be interested in the services of former Chiefs RB Larry Johnson.Steelers - LJ would be interested in going there, per Schefter, but the Steelers told agent Peter Schaffer they are not interested, per LaCanfora. Head coach Mike Tomlin declined comment.Patriots - He has been discussed, per head coach Bill Belichick. Rumored landing spot by many.Redskins - They're not making a move on him, at least this week.Bengals - No reported interest at this time but Schefter says he could think of less likely destinations. Jason Cole cites front office sources and says to keep an eye on them.Browns - Only rumored interest, but no hard reports. Not sure why LJ would go here unless it was money.Colts - They could/should be interested, per Schefter, but no hard reports.Seahawks - They could/should be interested, per Schefter, but no hard reports. They signed and released Edgerrin James this season.Broncos - Only rumored interest since they kicked the tires on seemingly every free agent RB.Chargers - Rumored interest with LT declining.Eagles - Rumored interest with Westbrook banged up. Jason Cole cites front office sources and says to keep an eye on them.Giants - No reported interest but I would guess he would want to play in New York. Jason Cole cites front office sources and says to keep an eye on them.Saints - No reported interest but have been in the market for a back previously.Cardinals - Only rumored interest.Texans - Not interested at this time, per GM Rick Smith.Jets - Not interested at this time, per LaCanfora.Bears - Not interested at this time, per LaCanfora.Raiders - ....Is Al Davis still alive?

He probably won't sign anywhere until there's an injury. I believe that's the reality of the situation.

What about the Steelers? I know they historically don't take on players with baggage but under Tomlin I think they might be having a philosophical change. I've read before were LJ was upset when the Steelers did not draft him and had always dreamed of playing for them. Mendenhall has looked really good lately but he's not a great power runner and has been having a fumble problem lately. If LJ were willing to accept a reduced role, a huge IF by the way, I think he could provide the Steelers an upgrade in the power running department.
There is zero chance that the Steelers bring in a head case like Johnson. Ain't gonna happen.
Cowher Steelers I'd agree with you but I think Tomlin is different. From what Tomlin said about Vick it sounded to me like he'd have pursued Vick if not the need to be more supportive of Ben for his own off the field issues.Either way it's a non-issue, at least this season. I agree with Shefter that the Chiefs will Keyshawn him before they release him.
The Rooneys have the final say in decisions like this. Players with baggage generally don't end up playing for the Steelers. Players with LJs amount of baggage don't even get a look.
Grabbed from the other LJ thread. No way the Steelers even entertain this idea.
I still think the Steelers would sign LJ if they thought he could help them but Mendenhall is playing to well to go down that road. Would not dismiss the Steelers looking at LJ after this season if Willie leaves as expected. Provided of course they think LJ has anything left.I've been following the Steelers for almost 30 years. I know their past MO with regards to players with character issues. I still contend things are different with Tomlin. When Tomlin said he did not pursue Michael Vick he said it was because he needed to support Ben who was undergoing his own issues. He did not say he would not pursue Vick because the Rooney's would not allow it or it was not the Steeler's way. I think we might be seeing a philosophical shift in Pittsburgh. While I don't foresee them taking on every random thug like the Raiders used to and the Bengals did recently and I still think they value character but I certainly think that the Steeler's could become a team like the Patriots which is willing to looks at some players with some issues if they think they will help the team.

PFT

Kent Babb of the Kansas City Star accurately has sniffed out that running back Larry Johnson is in Dallas.But a league source tells us that Johnson is in Dallas for a social visit only, and not because he's meeting with the Cowboys.

menobrown said:
I still think the Steelers would sign LJ if they thought he could help them but Mendenhall is playing to well to go down that road. Would not dismiss the Steelers looking at LJ after this season if Willie leaves as expected. Provided of course they think LJ has anything left.I've been following the Steelers for almost 30 years. I know their past MO with regards to players with character issues. I still contend things are different with Tomlin. When Tomlin said he did not pursue Michael Vick he said it was because he needed to support Ben who was undergoing his own issues. He did not say he would not pursue Vick because the Rooney's would not allow it or it was not the Steeler's way. I think we might be seeing a philosophical shift in Pittsburgh. While I don't foresee them taking on every random thug like the Raiders used to and the Bengals did recently and I still think they value character but I certainly think that the Steeler's could become a team like the Patriots which is willing to looks at some players with some issues if they think they will help the team.
I'll believe it when I see it. Tomlin may have been entertaining the idea of Michael Vick but I don't think the organization as a whole ever seriously considered it. There have been a few isolated incidents involving players who were already part of the team. In many cases, those players end up leaving shortly thereafter. I can't remember a case of the Steelers ever knowingly bringing in someone with as much baggage as LJ or Vick through free agency though. They have drafted some kids who made mistakes in college... Santonio Holmes to name a recent example, so maybe you are right. I just think that there are enough quality players out there who also happen to behave reasonably off the field, that there is no need for them to bring in a malcontent.

fatness said:
PFT

Kent Babb of the Kansas City Star accurately has sniffed out that running back Larry Johnson is in Dallas.But a league source tells us that Johnson is in Dallas for a social visit only, and not because he's meeting with the Cowboys.
ya, that's exactly what they need. They can't even get any touches for Choice.

Otis said:
grateful zed said:
That's been my feeling since Day 1. It makes way too much sense.
It always makes too much sense to everyone every time a player is available he must be going to NE.
It wouldn't be the first time that they've picked an older, skilled, sometimes troubled player up..F. Taylor, Galloway, Seau, Dillon, Moss, etc....

Last edited by a moderator:
Not looking like a winning number for a lottery ticket. If he is in Dallas goofing around, then he doesn't have anything lined up anywhere.

He seems more like the MLB derrick bell "operation shut down" type, than someone who actually has a desire to play for a contender.

The thought of being paid, and not having to do a damned thing is probably enormously appealing to him.

I hope I'm wrong.

Otis said:
grateful zed said:
It always makes too much sense to everyone every time a player is available he must be going to NE.
It wouldn't be the first time that they've picked an older, skilled, sometimes troubled player up..F. Taylor, Galloway, Seau, Dillon, Moss, etc....
As has been pointed out numerous times before, none of those players had the kind of extensive RECENT troubles that Johnson's had. Most had clean criminal records for 3-4 years prior to joining the Patriots.This would be the first time in Patriots history that they acquired a player who had been suspended and cut from his team and was still on probation from recent criminal activity. It's unprecedented.

As has been pointed out numerous times before, none of those players had the kind of extensive RECENT troubles that Johnson's had. Most had clean criminal records for 3-4 years prior to joining the Patriots.This would be the first time in Patriots history that they acquired a player who had been suspended and cut from his team and was still on probation from recent criminal activity. It's unprecedented.
Why do you seem so certain that this difference makes a difference? So what?The "precedent" is that the Patriots clearly feel that players who cause trouble can be brought in and do well in NE. I don't get why pre-season would be so different from mid-season. Either they think LJ is another Dillon, Moss, etc., or they think he's a real d-bag and they don't want him - I doubt the fact that it's November has any impact at all on the decision.

Why do you seem so certain that this difference makes a difference? So what?The "precedent" is that the Patriots clearly feel that players who cause trouble can be brought in and do well in NE. I don't get why pre-season would be so different from mid-season. Either they think LJ is another Dillon, Moss, etc., or they think he's a real d-bag and they don't want him - I doubt the fact that it's November has any impact at all on the decision.
The problem I see with the Patriots as the destination is that Pioli is the one who dumped LJ. I would think Pioli is trying to shape the Chiefs into Patriots midwest. While I realize that Pioli has grabbed some scraps from the Patriots, there is a reason for that. And some players of the Chiefs, BB might be interested in if dropped. But someone who was essentially dropped by Pioli for being a terrible person -- BB might be concerned. I would think that teams will wait. Maybe the Redskins take a shot. Maybe San Diego or Cleveland. But it would not surprise me if he simply is put out to pasture.

The shark move for LJ would be to wait until a good situation arises and display his skills (assuming he still has them) down the stretch/playoffs going into a probably uncapped season.

Otis said:
grateful zed said:
How many times in history has a two time pro bowl RB been cut for twittering about his coach and the Pats been in need of a RB because of injuries to their top 2 starters? I'd imagine not many. There's a first time for everything.

How many times in history has a two time pro bowl RB been cut for twittering about his coach and the Pats been in need of a RB because of injuries to their top 2 starters? I'd imagine not many. There's a first time for everything.
Replace "for twittering about his coach" with "because their team didn't want them anymore" and you just described Edgerrin James, Shuan Alexander, and Deuce McAllister.

Replace "for twittering about his coach" with "because their team didn't want them anymore" and you just described Edgerrin James, Shuan Alexander, and Deuce McAllister.
What months did each of these RB's complain about their coaches? If it wasn't November, it's not relevant. :heart:

Otis said:
grateful zed said:
:goodposting:Moss and Dillon were both IMMENSLEY (though less so with Dillon) talented when they were cut loose, traded for garbage to the pats.

:goodposting:Suax and Edge lost a step due to age/wear and tear.And deuce had 2 totally blown knees, even though he valiantly tried to return in Y1 (when the ACL is about 70% recovered) Plus don't forget he was actually playing decently, but in the crowded backfield with reggie Bush (then considered a 'starting rb lite') and Pierre Thomas (who TORE IT UP in his PT- playing time-- all puns intended) wresting the job from him not just getting 2 yds a carry on 3 of every 4 downs like Suax and Edge.

The "precedent" is that the Patriots clearly feel that players who cause trouble can be brought in and do well in NE.
You see....it would be this mat....that you would put on the floor....
Right, and your theory that players are less troublesome in July than they are in November is grounded in logic. :goodposting:
I will give you $1000 if you can show me where I said that.
Since what you said was about on par as grammatically incorrect, dumb and as unintelligible as LJ's tweets I say you might win this bet. To save us migraine inducing translation :lmao: why don't you just tell us what your cryptic drivel meant, and then we can make the bet based on that. It's only fair to the gamblers on this board to know what we are betting on.

What months did each of these RB's complain about their coaches? If it wasn't November, it's not relevant. :goodposting:
In all fairness his logic does hold up... for ALL players ever cut/traded by a team. By definition for one reason or another their team didn't want them anymore.

Sorry if someone already posted this among the pissing matches, but ESPN.com is reporting that Larry won't sign anywhere until at least next week.

I think that reading between the lines this means that no one came forward that was a great fit for LJ, meaning a playoff contender and/or chance to start, so he's hoping an injury creates an opportunity.

My take is that the odds of fantasy relevance are getting pretty long. For him to make a difference fantasy-wise it would require: 1. A team deciding the potential reward outweighed the baggage, 2. Said team needs him as more than a back-up, and 3. LJ's woeful YPC was more a function of his situation in KC than a decline in talent. I suppose a lot of this could change with one knee injury on Sunday, but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyway, this is the most excitement I can remember over an unrostered, aging RB since Barry Sanders would get drafted each fall in case he decided to un-retire. At least he was one of the most exciting backs we had ever seen.

Sorry if someone already posted this among the pissing matches, but ESPN.com is reporting that Larry won't sign anywhere until at least next week.

I think that reading between the lines this means that no one came forward that was a great fit for LJ, meaning a playoff contender and/or chance to start, so he's hoping an injury creates an opportunity.

My take is that the odds of fantasy relevance are getting pretty long. For him to make a difference fantasy-wise it would require: 1. A team deciding the potential reward outweighed the baggage, 2. Said team needs him as more than a back-up, and 3. LJ's woeful YPC was more a function of his situation in KC than a decline in talent. I suppose a lot of this could change with one knee injury on Sunday, but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyway, this is the most excitement I can remember over an unrostered, aging RB since Barry Sanders would get drafted each fall in case he decided to un-retire. At least he was one of the most exciting backs we had ever seen.
Here's the thing about LJ. He's 29, without a lot of carries, KC is rebuilding, and have a horrible O-Line. Oh yeah, and a couple years back he ran for 1800 yards and 17 TDs.Maybe he's done, but I wouldn't bet on it. I just want to see what he can do in a serviceable offense.

Here's the thing about LJ. He's 29, without a lot of carries, KC is rebuilding, and have a horrible O-Line. Oh yeah, and a couple years back he ran for 1800 yards and 17 TDs.Maybe he's done, but I wouldn't bet on it. I just want to see what he can do in a serviceable offense.
Almost 1400 carries isn't a lot? What's the average # of years in the NFL for a RB? Something like 5 or 6.

Almost 1400 carries isn't a lot? What's the average # of years in the NFL for a RB? Something like 5 or 6.
Not really.1400 career carries place LJ at position 79 all time for rushing attempts according to http://www.pro-football-reference.com/. That places him just above Steven Jackson(age 26) and Willis McGahee(age 28). LT (age 30)has 2700+, Portis (age 28) has 2176, and Thomas Jones (age 31) has 2098. Emmit Smith had over 4400 attempts and Barry Sanders, Marcus Allen, and Edge all had right at 3000 attempts.

Not really.1400 career carries place LJ at position 79 all time for rushing attempts according to http://www.pro-football-reference.com/. That places him just above Steven Jackson(age 26) and Willis McGahee(age 28). LT (age 30)has 2700+, Portis (age 28) has 2176, and Thomas Jones (age 31) has 2098. Emmit Smith had over 4400 attempts and Barry Sanders, Marcus Allen, and Edge all had right at 3000 attempts.
His age is more important than # of carries. I don't buy the # of carry argument for the most part. I'm not saying it doesn't mater, but age matters more.

JohnnyU said:
moondog said:
JohnnyU said:
certificate said:
FFdork said:

His age is more important than # of carries. I don't buy the # of carry argument for the most part. I'm not saying it doesn't mater, but age matters more.
The other thing to consider is his running style, which invites contact

Adam_Schefter ESPN's Michael Smith reporting that Larry Johnson is en route to Cincinnati, and barring a breakdown, is expected to sign with Bengals.

Users who are viewing this thread