What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post Draft Bloom 100 (1 Viewer)

You think Gerald McRath has a better line on the future MLB job in Tennessee than Stephen Tulloch?

And I'm right with you on Jason Williams. I think I might have him too low in the 20s.

You think Gerald McRath has a better line on the future MLB job in Tennessee than Stephen Tulloch?And I'm right with you on Jason Williams. I think I might have him too low in the 20s.
I like McRath's range and he was a tackle machine at Southern Miss. Tulloch is solid, but McRath should push him in time, and I think he can back up the OLB positions, too. The guys that came out early, but weren't elite got hammered in the draft, but McRath still had a decent draft slot. If he had waited to come out, I think he's close to a first day pick next year. I liked the talent before the draft, and now he's in a good spot.

so, is the plan in Green Bay for Matthews to play 3-4 OLB? seems like an odd fit for a player whose strength is in coverage.

Patrick Chung, S, NE (40) - Should assume the Rodney Harrison role

Yikes. I thought Brandon Meriweather was going to the next Rodney Harirson in NE's defense.

Is it a likely thing that Chung > Meriweather in IDP leagues or should we all wait and see how it plays out during preseason?

Patrick Chung, S, NE (40) - Should assume the Rodney Harrison role

Yikes. I thought Brandon Meriweather was going to the next Rodney Harirson in NE's defense.

Is it a likely thing that Chung > Meriweather in IDP leagues or should we all wait and see how it plays out during preseason?
Chung is not well suited for deep coverage - he's an in the box hitter and intimidator of receivers that run crossing routes. He'll get roasted if he's the centerfielder, that role has to belong to Meriweather.

so, is the plan in Green Bay for Matthews to play 3-4 OLB? seems like an odd fit for a player whose strength is in coverage.
His strength is in coverage? That's news to me. At USC there were stretches of time where he was rushing the passer 100% of the time.

His strength is in coverage? That's news to me. At USC there were stretches of time where he was rushing the passer 100% of the time.
:lol:well, compared to Cushing and Maualuga anyway, I figured what set him apart was his play in space and ability to drop in coverage. you're obviously right though. just watched some video on him and every single highlight was him rushing the passer.

:lol:well, compared to Cushing and Maualuga anyway, I figured what set him apart was his play in space and ability to drop in coverage. you're obviously right though. just watched some video on him and every single highlight was him rushing the passer.
You are at least partially correct Aaron, it was the way he opened up and dropped into coverage at Mobile that really caused his stock to skyrocket, he was already an DE/OLB tweener, but he looked real natural dropping for a guy who didn't do it much before that week.

You think Gerald McRath has a better line on the future MLB job in Tennessee than Stephen Tulloch?And I'm right with you on Jason Williams. I think I might have him too low in the 20s.
I like McRath's range and he was a tackle machine at Southern Miss. Tulloch is solid, but McRath should push him in time, and I think he can back up the OLB positions, too. The guys that came out early, but weren't elite got hammered in the draft, but McRath still had a decent draft slot. If he had waited to come out, I think he's close to a first day pick next year. I liked the talent before the draft, and now he's in a good spot.
I really want to say both McCormick and Wyatt chalk him into Bulluck's spot-learning behind him then taking over in time. It might just be one, but really think they both thought so.Ryan Fowler is one of the better NFL backups in that he's young a former starter and can play inside and outside linebacker. I don't think he should be forgotten here. Stanford Keglar is still kicking around.I wouldn't be surprised if McRath is Bulluck's backup, Fowler is Tulloch's and Keglar is Thornton's.Josh Stamer and Colin Allred would be likely gone then.If McRath is going to spend time learning behind a vet, then a vet gets hurt, Fisher could possibly put Fowler in to play instead of him.

Depth chartDE - Cullen Jenkins, Johnny Jolly, Michael Montgomery, Justin Harrell, Alfred Malone, Jarius Wynn, Ronald Talley.

NT - Ryan Pickett, B.J. Raji, Brian Soi, Fred Bledsoe, Anthony Toribio.

LOLB - Aaron Kampman, Jeremy Thompson, Jason Hunter, Cyril Obiozor.

SILB - Nick Barnett Desmond Bishop, Spencer Havner.

WILB - A.J. Hawk, Brandon Chillar, Danny Lansanah.

ROLB - Clay Matthews, Brady Poppinga, Brad Jones.

CB - Charles Woodson, Al Harris, Tramon Williams, Will Blackmon, Patrick Lee, Brandon Underwood, Joey Porter, Josh Abrams.

S - Nick Collins, Atari Bigby, Aaron Rouse, Anthony Smith, Jarrett Bush, Charlie Peprah.

From JSonline

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER

As it stands right now, linebacker Clay Matthews, the 26th overall pick , will square off with Brady Poppinga, Jeremy Thompson and Brandon Chillar in probably the best competition of camp. Chillar is likely a backup at inside linebacker and will provide insurance in case Nick Barnett doesn't get the spring back in his step after ACL surgery.

Expect Matthews to come out on top because of how much it cost (two third-round picks) the Packers to get him. Also, Matthews has the most well-rounded skill set of the players. Poppinga is decent against the run but isn't much of a rusher when he's blocked. Chillar is a great cover guy but isn't strong at the point of attack. Matthews can cover, rush and defend the run.

Seventh-round pick Brad Jones from Colorado is in the Brandon Chillar mold - a do-everything, swing type. The Packers will likely keep around 10 linebackers on the final roster. They have 12 now. Spencer Havner isn't likely to stick. The other cut will come from either Desmond Bishop, Jason Hunter, Danny Lansanah or Jones.

Last edited by a moderator:
:confused:well, compared to Cushing and Maualuga anyway, I figured what set him apart was his play in space and ability to drop in coverage. you're obviously right though. just watched some video on him and every single highlight was him rushing the passer.
You are at least partially correct Aaron, it was the way he opened up and dropped into coverage at Mobile that really caused his stock to skyrocket, he was already an DE/OLB tweener, but he looked real natural dropping for a guy who didn't do it much before that week.
I don't know much about Mobile (in all candor I was a bit burned out on football after last season and didn't do as much offseason/pre-draft reading as usual), but it doesn't surprise me that Matthews showed some skills. He's a very late bloomer by football standards but is clearly very athletic. The fact that he was a walk-on and USC's slowly developing and increasing use of him as a player over the course of his time there is a reflection of that. His game is predicated on speed, athleticism, aggression and instinct. He's a classic OLB, and especially so as a WOLB in the 3-4. I can see him developing coverage skills because, like I said, he is an athlete who can move. This part of his game, however, is probably going to be a project in development, at least for a short time.

Not sold on Michael Mitchell? I would think that opportunity alone would be worth a ranking. I'm also surprised by the omission of Sidbury. I think he has an excellent chance to start there sooner rather than later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weiner Dog said:
Sigmund Bloom said:
ADP said:
Slim25 said:
im stuck on who is the lb to take 1st Rey, Laurin, or Curry
Take Curry....talent will find a way to produce.
:) Weakside isn't exactly fantasy exile either.
What percent chance do you think Curry will be a WLB for the Hawks?
Very high, although they may still use OLB-MLB-OLB schemes with no Sam-Will flipping. If Hill returns, the 2 non-flipping is, I think, more likely.

Not sold on Michael Mitchell? I would think that opportunity alone would be worth a ranking. I'm also surprised by the omission of Sidbury. I think he has an excellent chance to start there sooner rather than later.
I'm not sure what to make of the whole Mitchell thing. Maybe he deserves a spot in the lower half, but he was really a 6th-7th round pick at best on most boards, including mine, plus safety is a position that is easy to get a replacement level guy at, Im only interested in potential studs in rookie drafts.Sidbury is omitted because of my bias against holding developmental DEs unless they have major upside, much like safeties - I do like Sidbury the player.

Gmen DC: rookie LB Clint Sintim (second round) will have his hand in the grass as a pass rusher on third downs.

I'm not sure what to make of the whole Mitchell thing. Maybe he deserves a spot in the lower half, but he was really a 6th-7th round pick at best on most boards, including mine, plus safety is a position that is easy to get a replacement level guy at, Im only interested in potential studs in rookie drafts.
Yeah, and I don't think the safety position in Oakland is very clear.Couple things:1. Cable made noise about a left/right safety alignment, as opposed to a strong/free setup. 2. The Raiders really like Tyvon Branch, a rookie that got hurt last year.3. Hiram Eugene, who replaced Huff, is still kicking around, as is Huff. Eugene did a pretty decent job at FS last year.4. New DC in town, John Marshall. I don't see major changes, tho.Mitchell is getting a lot of press these days, but I don't see a clear path to Gibril Wilson's numbers from last year.

Users who are viewing this thread