What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Power Rankings anyone? (1 Viewer)

Assani Fisher

Footballguy
Lets just assume that Dallas beats Buffalo by about 10 points like the line says.....

Tier #1: The top two

1a. NE

1b. Indy

Yes, I know its a cop out but neither team deserves to be called second best right now.

Tier #2: Legit Contenders

3. Dallas

4. Pitt

5. Tennessee

6. Washington

7. Green Bay

8. Jacksonville

Dallas and Pitt are probably concensus. After that I thnk the next 4 teams are fairly interchangable. Many probably aren't as high on Tennessee, but consider that they've won 9 out of their last 11 games with their only losses being to NE and Indy. The other 3 teams are all have just one loss and could easily be undefeated. As I said, pretty interchangeable and I won't dispute anyone who has them in a slightly different order.

Tier #3: Hopeful Contenders

9. Tampa Bay

10. New York Giants

11. Baltimore

12. Arizona

13. Houston

14. Seattle

15. San Diego

San Diego sneaks into this tier due to their impressive performance this week. Arizona could honestly be 0-5 or 5-0...pretty crazy. The Giants have really come out of nowhere to turn their season around. Some wouldn't have them this high, but when you consider that they've played 3 teams in tier #2, their 3-2 record looks a lot better. Similarily, Tampa has just lost to Indy and at Seattle.

Tier #4: Muddled Middle

16. Carolina

17. Detroit

18. Oakland

19. Cleveland

20. Chicago

21. Denver

22. KC

23. SF

24. Cincy

25. Philly

26. NY Jets

27. Buffalo

28. Minnesota

29. Atlanta

This tier is always nearly impossible to rank. I can't really give Carolina too much credit considering their wins are over St Louis, ATlanta, and New Orleans. To be honest, out of this tier I actually think Oakland has the best shot of making something with their season. They will move up big if they beat San Diego next week.

Tier #5: The winless

30. New Orleans

31. Mimami

32. St Louis

Not worthy to comment on.

Thoughts?

8. Jacksonville

You finally ready to consider the Jags a decent team? As a Jags fan, that worries me. Because in the past, as soon as people nationally start to notice them they start losing again. :thumbup:

I'd bump up San Diego and Houston. The Chargers record isn't impressive, but that's a very talented football team and deserves higher ranking than their record would suggest. The Texans have played very well considering their injuries at skill positions on offense and look to be a tough and balanced team that will contend this year. When Andre Johnson and Green are back healthy, look out.

Washington just isn't that good. Top 10 maybe, but no way they deserve 6th.

Last edited by a moderator:
REALLY solid job. I do think Tampa should be in the same tier as Tennesse and co., even near the front of it. Otherwise, I really can't argue with any of that. Well laid out.

REALLY solid job. I do think Tampa should be in the same tier as Tennesse and co., even near the front of it. Otherwise, I really can't argue with any of that. Well laid out.
Thanks. My reasoning on why Tampa didn't make tier #2:1. They have two losses2. One of those I would consider a 'bad loss'(losing by 2 TDs to a good but not great Seattle team)3. They've beaten two of the winless teams4. As I said in the OP, all of the teams ranked ahead of them could easily be undefeated had one break gone their way.

8. JacksonvilleYou finally ready to consider the Jags a decent team? As a Jags fan, that worries me. Because in the past, as soon as people nationally start to notice them they start losing again. :thumbup:I'd bump up San Diego and Houston. The Chargers record isn't impressive, but that's a very talented football team and deserves higher ranking than their record would suggest. The Texans have played very well considering their injuries at skill positions on offense and look to be a tough and balanced team that will contend this year. When Andre Johnson and Green are back healthy, look out.Washington just isn't that good. Top 10 maybe, but no way they deserve 6th.
I'll admit, I was actually really down on Jacksonville compared to most to start the year. I saw an 8-8 team last year that didn't get any better(in my opinion). The opening day loss to the Titans just confirmed that. But I can't argue with their results after that. I have to start giving them some credit. Boy that division is tough this year.San Diego lost by 2 TDs at home to Kansas City. I do have them higher than their record suggests(for example they're ahead of Oakland even though Oakland is in 1st place). I just can't put them any higher yet. They certainly will move up if they start winning some games, but I can't use the "they're talented" reasoning or else I'd also have to bump up teams like Chicago, Philly, and Cincy.Houston is a bit of an enigma to me right now. I was very high on them before the season, and I do think that once AJ comes back they'll be a much better team. But they just barely beat a winless Dolphins team thanks to 3 50+ yard FGs including a 57 yarder at the very end....better teams shouldn't struggle like that imo.As I said, 5 through 8 are interchangeable, so I could see washington being as low as 8. Theres no way I could drop them any lower though, as they have one very very narrow loss(stopped on 4th and goal at the end)....how can I possibly put a team with 2 losses ahead of them? And they were insanely impressive today, especially their defense.

The Texans are not as good as everyone thinks they are. Wins over the Dolphins, Panthers and Falcons isn't saying much.
Funny that of the first two comments, one is saying they're too low and the other too high.Right now I have them at 13th. 12 teams obviously make the playoffs...I think just missing out on the playoffs is a very reasonable. They have been missing their best player for 3 weeks too and they'll be much better with him.

Please explain how Seattle loses to #4 and to the only team that beat #4 (and that loss was 1 fluke play away from a win), both on the road, and are ranked 5 spots behind a team they beat and whose running game is almost completely shot (TB)? Also ranked behind Baltimore who lost to a team the Hawks beat (Cincy, a low ranked team Balt lost to) and barely squeaked out a win against a team that Seattle manhandled last week at their own house (SF)?

Please explain how Seattle loses to #4 and to the only team that beat #4 (and that loss was 1 fluke play away from a win), both on the road, and are ranked 5 spots behind a team they beat and whose running game is almost completely shot (TB)? Also ranked behind Baltimore who lost to a team the Hawks beat (Cincy, a low ranked team Balt lost to) and barely squeaked out a win against a team that Seattle manhandled last week at their own house (SF)?
I don't mind debating, but please lets try to be as unbaised as possible in doing so. For example, you wrote:"Seattle loses to #4 and to the only team that beat #4"I could just as easily write:"Seattle has lost to the 12th ranked team and to a team that lost to the 12th ranked team by a TD."Both statements are obviously biased. Lets just be honest with ourselves and present the facts as they are: Seattle has lost to the 4th and 12th ranked teams. Anyway, lets go on with the analysis of the teams you mentioned.....Seattle vs Arizona: Not sure how I could possibly put Seattle ahead here. They have the same record and Arizona has beaten Seattle. Moreover, power rankings are a reflection of a how a team is playing currently: Arizona has won 2 in a row while Seattle just got blown out.Baltimore vs Seattle: We could play the "TEam A beat Team B who beat TEam C" game all day long. The thing is that Cincy always seems to beat Baltimore...even last year when Balt was 13-3, Cincy still beat them. I don't know why....same reason why NE can't seem to sweep Miami in recent years. Some rivalry games are just always competitve. Regarding SF, Seattle will probably have more blowout wins than Baltimore. Baltimore's team is not constructed to blow teams out. Therefore I'm not going to hold it against them that they didn't win by as much as Seattle did. Bottom line is that I had Baltimore ranked higher going into the season(mostly due to having come off of a 13-3 year) and they've performed similarly during the year and have the same record. So Baltimore stay slightly ahead. Also let me reiterate that power rankings weigh the most recent games the most heavily.Seattle vs TB: Yes TB lost in Seattle in week 1. However that is the least weighted game of them all for the power rankings. They have the same record, TB has won convincingly in all of its wins, and I think TB is playing better right now.Overall, I think you're not realizing how close all of these teams are. I don't necessarily disagree with you. Its not clear cut. Nevertheless, I'm usually going to give the benefit of the doubt to teams that did not just get blown out in their most recent game.

After the top 4 teams (which are obvious), it's a mess. I actually agree that the Titans are #5 right now, but if the Chargers get their act together they could be the "obvious" #5 team in about 3 or 4 weeks.

Simple question for everyone - how many teams would you classify as "good" or better (meaning NE, Indy, Dallas and Pitt are "good" or better - who else makes this list)?

I think the Redskins are #5. As I wrote in another thread, Im not a Washington fan, but I beleive they have the best D in football, with a reasonable shot at the NFC championship game and the Superbowl.

I'm a Redskins fan, and they definitely need to improve their pass rush before we start to come close to calling them that. I'm a Ravens fan second, and I can tell you for sure that the Ravens D is better than the Redskins right now.

Thanks. My reasoning on why Tampa didn't make tier #2:1. They have two losses2. One of those I would consider a 'bad loss'(losing by 2 TDs to a good but not great Seattle team)3. They've beaten two of the winless teams4. As I said in the OP, all of the teams ranked ahead of them could easily be undefeated had one break gone their way.
I can't disagree. This is no doubt better than any of the network "power rankings", with more thought put into it (no surprise).

Steelers look really good but still haven't beaten a mediocre to strong team on the road (schedule has been kind to them). Winning decisively in Denver in 2 weeks will secure them in the top 4. Right now, I have Pitt/Dallas even at #3.

Arizona has played very consistent this year and look like a potential playoff team. I think they are definitely in the top 10-15 somewhere.

I haven't written off the Chargers, New Orleans, or Cincy yet. Chicago I think was overrated the last few years. Defense is decent but ever game they win has Hester spotting them 7 or a blocked fieldgoal they run back for a TD and such. When you get "bonus" 7-14 points nearly every game from non-line of scrimmage plays....you're a little lucky.

Overall, I think you're not realizing how close all of these teams are. I don't necessarily disagree with you. Its not clear cut. Nevertheless, I'm usually going to give the benefit of the doubt to teams that did not just get blown out in their most recent game.
You mean like Tampa Bay just did against Indy?! Seattle and TB both got spanked by the best 2 teams in the conference, sounds like a wash out to me. Your reasoning for putting TB at 9 is that they only lost to Indy and Seattle, so they lost to a great team and a team you rank lower than them. Seattle lost to two teams that you rank better than them. If benefit of doubt comes into play, shouldn't one team beating the other tip the scales?

Users who are viewing this thread