What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PPR or Non PPR? That is the question (1 Viewer)

What do you play or prefer to play? PPR or Non PPR?

• PPR

Votes: 50 71.4%
  • Non PPR

Votes: 20 28.6%

• Total voters
Some analysis on the subject from Rotoworld (I pasted just the conclusion - full details in the link):

To sum up

If the primary goal of a PPR scoring system is to make more fantasy-relevant players, I dont believe its succeeding. Sure, its inflating scoring so that more players score 10 or more points each week, but is that really making more players relevant if nearly everyone is getting a bump for reception scoring?

PPR does shift some value from RB to WR and TE, but it also deflates the most important position in football: the quarterback. As it stands, the position is so deep that owners can ignore it for the first half of the draft and still end up with a quality passer in the 8th or 9th round. There are strategies that revolve around streaming QBs from the waiver wire. While this is a valid strategy for one-QB PPR (and standard) format, given how important the position is in the NFL, shouldnt fantasy football better reflect this importance?

PPR does a poor job of rewarding real-world value. Why should a player get a full point (equal to 10 rushing/receiving yards) for a catch that nets his team zero yards? If the goal is to reward players for moving the chains, then award a point or a half-point for each first down.

After going through this process, if I were starting a league, I would not use a PPR format. I think there are better ways to improve the balance between the positions and to reward on-field production. Ill be back with a Part 2 of this scoring system study to discuss a few different options that commissioners and owners have to better balance positional value.
If I were to start a new league with people who understood the game (I am starting a work league but will keep that one normal/simple), I would give points for yardage, 1 point for first downs, 6 for td, no ppr.

If I were to start a new league with people who understood the game (I am starting a work league but will keep that one normal/simple), I would give points for yardage, 1 point for first downs, 6 for td, no ppr.
I like the scoring for 1st downs. Our dynasty league brings up PPR every year but it always gets rejected. PP1D is gaining support though.

I think PP1D, or even PP1DR (1st down reception) is the wave of the future. Makes sense if you're going to reward any yardage more than other yardage, that the 1st down conversion be the added reward...after all converting the 1st down is a big deal in "real football," something fans cheer for. Makes sense to align it with fantasy value as well.

Yeah, people who dont see the inequity non caused by ppr are just being willfully ignorant (or maybe they dont care enough to actually look at the disparity). :shrug: .
I agree that its a perfectly viable solution, id love to hear more on why it is better than just giving points per reception. A lot of the leagues I run where we have PPR in addition to having to start more than 2 WRs and in one of them only having to start 1 RB the guys seem to prefer in the leagues where there is more flexibility (1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 4 Flex, for example).

I don't know if its because people just don't like feeling restricted or what, but we've managed to stay very competitive while also having the positions be at least more balanced than standard, or basic 1 flex ppr.

Edit: also sorry for the fish comment, was a little below the belt. No reason for me to be so passionately trying to defend my opinion about PPR vs Non.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in several leagues that changed to PPR from non-PPR.....like always with change there is resistance, but once it happened I never heard one peek out of any owners not liking PPR. It seems those that still player non-PPR are stuck in the old way of doing things and resist change. I imagine that the majority of those playing in non-PPR haven't even played in a PPR league.

25 PPR and 15 non-PPR

I'm in several leagues that changed to PPR from non-PPR.....like always with change there is resistance, but once it happened I never heard one peek out of any owners not liking PPR. It seems those that still player non-PPR are stuck in the old way of doing things and resist change. I imagine that the majority of those playing in non-PPR haven't even played in a PPR league.

25 PPR and 15 non-PPR
PPR is now the old way of doing things. It was the old fix to position inequity. Now we have better options.

I play in both ppr and non-ppr--and I generally find the ppr leagues that I play in to be more fun. I also find them to be more competitve as the ppr aspect makes for a greater pool of "elite" fantasy players. In non-ppr leagues--the teams with better drafting positions have a distinct advantage. However, with that being said---if somebody really is a traditionalist and doesn't want to change scoring systems to balance out the equity in drafting position in non-ppr leagues---doing a third round reversal in snake drafts could be a good solution.

I know this is off topic--but I also believe that every league should count passing tds as 6 points. The devaluing of qb's in fantasy football is mind boggling to me

WHO GIVES A CRAP!!!!! I prefer PPR not because I think it's the only way to play and that standard leagues are inferior. I prefer ppr leagues because I seem to have more fun in them. It probably has more to do with my main league being ppr and I enjoy that league more than any other.

Just play in the type of league you find more enjoyable. This is starting to sound like a political argument or something stupid like that.

I play in both ppr and non-ppr--and I generally find the ppr leagues that I play in to be more fun. I also find them to be more competitve as the ppr aspect makes for a greater pool of "elite" fantasy players. In non-ppr leagues--the teams with better drafting positions have a distinct advantage. However, with that being said---if somebody really is a traditionalist and doesn't want to change scoring systems to balance out the equity in drafting position in non-ppr leagues---doing a third round reversal in snake drafts could be a good solution.

I know this is off topic--but I also believe that every league should count passing tds as 6 points. The devaluing of qb's in fantasy football is mind boggling to me
I play in 6-pt passing TD leagues.

But it doesn't change relative QB values as much as one might think. Though people think it does, and QBs tend to go sooner in drafts.

I haven't played in them, but people who do believe starting 2 QBs is a better solution to the QB value issue.

I prefer non-PPR, simply because it has never made a ton of sense to me to reward a player for something that doesn't necessarily translate to success on the field. I guess I always just assumed that was the concept of FF scoring - to reward players in a manner that was indicative of how they contributed to the success of their team. PPR flies in the face of that.

5 receptions for 100 yards and a TD should be equitable to 10 receptions for 100 yards and a score. IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

But it doesn't change relative QB values as much as one might think. Though people think it does, and QBs tend to go sooner in drafts.

I haven't played in them, but people who do believe starting 2 QBs is a better solution to the QB value issue.
superflex is the best of both worlds. Or 32 team leagues, which seem to enhance QBs more than other positions. Even 24 team leagues can do that. It's the normal 10-12 team leagues that devalue QBs too much IMO.

I totally agree with you that it doesn't change the values that much--but it's certainly a step in the right direction. My main point is that there is no reason to devalue the most important position on a football field--and if you are going to play in a one qb league--4 point passing td's majorly devalue the qb position to an extreme level.

I totally agree with you that it doesn't change the values that much--but it's certainly a step in the right direction. My main point is that there is no reason to devalue the most important position on a football field--and if you are going to play in a one qb league--4 point passing td's majorly devalue the qb position to an extreme level.
Agree here. Additionally (and once again), 4pt PaTDs also create inequity based on how a player scores, eg Newton/Wilson. Why are TDs worth more to them when they sneak into the end zone, vs when Peyton passes to a TE?

25 PPR and 15 non-PPR
I play in a PPR league. I also play in multiple standard scoring leagues. The link I posted starts with the writer clarifying that he plays mostly PPR, but studied the scoring and published his analysis.

I also wonder if the majority of today's PPR players started FFL during the big PPR boom. So perhaps the reverse is true that there are many PPR players that have never joined a standard scoring league. Or if they're even aware of the implications Biabrakable and the Rotoworld article point out.

Bottom line, play whatever you prefer and have fun!

I've always been more of a fan of standard scoring and changing rosters. I like 1QB, 1RB, 2 WR, 1TE, 2 Flex (non-QB) it gives roster flexibility, doesn't promote bit players that just compile catches, and to me most importantly doesn't force anyone to hold their nose when making a pick because they have to take another RB or they are screwed

To those non-ppr proponents I still find that RBs are the most important pieces to my lineup and I end up with a team of RBs with a couple WRs thrown in after draft day.

Users who are viewing this thread