What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Preseason Deep Dynasty Watch List - Homer Opinions Welcomed (1 Viewer)

JFS171

Footballguy
There's a few random variations of threads seemingly trying to hit on this topic: Who are you watching in the FA pools of your dynasty leagues? We've had the off-season stash thread, but this is specifically intended to focus on finding value from the waiver wire.

We all know churning the last few spots on your roster can hit big. We also know there will be some out-of-nowhere rookies/2nd year guys that light it up when they get the chance. CJ Anderson was a prime example of this. You obviously can't hoard everyone, and roster depth varies across leagues. The key is knowing when you can leave a guy on the wire and when he's worth the roster spot.

So with that, here's a handful of guys I'm keeping my eye on (in no particular order)... would encourage others to add their thoughts as well. Most of my list comes from guys that are/were FAs in a dynasty rostering 320 players, and most of these guys need a change of scenery or an injury to happen ahead of them on the depth chart that gives them a shot... but that's why they're deep FAs

RUNNING BACKS:

Bryce Brown (Bills) -- Sure sounds like Brown is losing his roster spot for the Bills. Despite bouncing around Philly and Buffalo's depth charts, Brown is just 24 years old, and his running abilities are unquestioned. We've seen guys with crippling fumbling issues figure it out (Tiki Barber comes to mind), and Brown may be in a position to choose his next team. I've seen him cut in multiple leagues for rookie drafts... if he stays in Buffalo, he probably belongs on the wire for an offseason stash. If he gets his walking papers, I'm holding till we find out where he lands.

Malcolm Brown (Rams) -- A Matt Waldman Favorite, Brown had a very strong combine aside from the 40, perhaps the most overrated event for RBs. A 4-star recruit out of HS and a top-3 RB recruit, Brown joined the UT program in the midst of a rather epic decline. His OL was atrocious, and Brown seemingly never progressed. His metrics paint a different picture...his 3-cone of 6.86 and short shuttle of 4.16 rank 14th and 19th best among RBs since 2006... at 225 lbs. He's a big, agile, shifty runner with a pedigree on a loaded depth chart... and has some passing game prowess to boot. Brown's probably going to force the Rams to either cut someone else or expose him to waivers. He's already got a 100-yard game this preseason with a TD.

Michael Dyer (Raiders) -- Dyer has taken a Crowell-like path to the NFL after his freshman year at Auburn where he broke Bo Jackson's freshman record for rushing yards. I'm sure most of us remember just how dynamic a player he was back then... luckily for Dyer, he's avoided major injury (to my knowledge) that would've sapped that natural talent. Now he's turning heads in Oakland where the only thing that stands between him and a roster spot is the ghost of Trent Richardson, who he's running circles around in camp. Roy Helu appears poised to eventually handle the COP and 3rd down role for the Raiders (though he's battling injury and hasn't practiced yet). If Murray goes down, however, I don't personally expect the Raiders to hand over a feature-back role to Helu. And Murray going down isn't THAT far fetched... he's got a torn ACL, surgically repaired ankle, foot and shoulder sprains, as well as a wicked concussion from last year on his resume.

Brandon Wegher (Panthers) -- Wegher too has taken quite the path to get to the NFL. His pro-day results painted a picture of a pretty solid running back, running a 4.5 40 at 213lbs with 37" vert and a 118" broad jump. Now he finds himself in Carolina where he's reportedly pushing Fozzy Whitaker for a roster spot. The Panthers also drafted Cameron Artis-Payne in the 5th round, but we've seen UDFA's beat out late draft picks before... and both are behind Jonathan Stewart, a guy who always seems to be nicked up a little bit. Wegher doesn't need to be rostered right now, but keep an eye on him if he makes the team. The Panthers seem to really love this kid, and for good reason.

Thomas Rawls (Seahawks) -- Talk about a loaded depth chart... Lynch, Turbin, Michael are locked in as the 1-3, yet Rawls keeps earning praise. Again, he'd likely need a change of scenery, but Rawls has some talent and could be traded or exposed to waivers if the Seahawks can't keep everyone. In Dallas, hypothetically, he'd be extremely, extremely interesting.

Dion Lewis (Patriots) -- The thought of rostering Patriots' RBs turns the stomach of most fantasy owners. However, we all know there's value here if a guy emerges. Shane Vereen was quite valuable in PPR leagues, and Blount has done just fine for himself in NE as well. Enter Dion Lewis who finally got his opportunity last week for the Patriots and lit up the screen. Quick and explosive, Lewis appeared shifty and determined against the Saints. He's a long shot, but we've seen guys go from relative obscurity elsewhere to being stars for NE. White has nothing locked up as the 3rd down back, and Lewis looked as good as he looked for the Browns a few years ago when they had big, big plans for him. If he's truly healthy, Lewis could emerge as a valuable PPR guy in Belichek's offense (which is suddenly devoid of impact WRs).

WIDE RECEIVERS:

Duron Carter (Colts) -- Last fall, the hype train was running out of control on Carter. Now in most leagues, he's a FA or at the very bottom of someone's roster. Some are still holding, but he's out there in a good number of leagues. Waldman said Carter would've ranked no lower than 5th among rookie WRs in his RSP, and Carter opened camp with play after play. His situation is now a lot murkier after the Colts signed Andre Johnson, drafted Dorsett in the first round, and Carter played two utterly forgettable preseason games. Now he's on the cusp of not making the roster, though it's likely he'll hang onto a spot in the end. There's a ton of upside here in a Luck passing offense for a 6'5" guy that can run like the wind. He offers the Colts something they can't get from smurfs Hilton and Dorsett, and should he be cut, would likely have plenty of teams lining up to add him to their roster.

Darren Waller (Ravens) -- Waller fits the profile of former GT wide outs that have gone on to tremendous success in the NFL. His MockDraftable Similarity Scores should have prospective owners salivating (highest comps of Mike Evans, Michael Floyd, and Marquess Colston). He's also turning some heads at camp while first rounder Breshaud Perriman nurses an injury. Waller gives Flacco and Trestman a HUGE (6'6" 238lbs), fast (4.46), leaper of a WR (37" vert, 125" broad) that generally fits the mold of guys Trestman has used on the perimeter in the past.

TIGHT ENDS:

Derek Carrier (Redskins) -- In the wake of Niles Paul's season-ending injury and Logan Paulsen's foot injury, the Redskins depth chart at TE is extremely thin. Jordan Reed is undoubtedly talented, but he's also struggled to stay on the field. Enter Carrier who the Redskins acquired earlier this camp from the 49ers. Carrier isn't going to block many guys (neither is Reed), but he can move and catch as a converted WR, and considering the opportunity, he's one to keep an eye on.

Meant to add Antonio Andrews (Titans) to this list...

Seems like he's locked in as the goal line and short yardage RB in Tennessee. He may never be the bell cow, but he's got the size and ability to do that IMO. Bri's been all over this one, but Andrews may well be the trusted veteran guy while the team tries to evaluate Cobb and Sankey. Andrews is never mentioned as one likely to emerge with a 3-down job, or even as the early-down thumper, but he definitely seems to have the goal line job locked down, can catch the ball, and can get it done if he gets an opportunity.

Good topic! Might be obvious, but I have another RB that wasn't mentioned:

Kenjon Barner (RB - PHI) - After 2 preseason games with as many returns for touchdowns, this kid is proving to be something pretty special. He's also averaging 4.75 ypc, albeit not against starters. He might be worth a stash in dynasty if Chip gets the trading itch.

Brisco54 said:
Josh Robinson
Should have been drafted in 3rd roundA guy that fits this list is Rex Burkhead. In 2 years, he's going to go somewhere and be a very good starter. Bengals are playing him in the slot to get him on the field and he's just as good at running inside. I think he would have a significant role if Hill goes down taking over some of the banger role. He's already taking snaps away from Gio.

Also, how about another Husker in Quincy Enunwa. He's risen to the top and been playing in 3 WR sets for the jets with Owusu out. Enunwa has some TO and David Boston to his game. He's like 6-2 230 and runs legit 4.4. If he ever gets a crack at starter reps (Marshall isn't getting younger), he may run with it. Great stash...

Updating and adding...

RUNNING BACKS:

Bryce Brown - Still may not make the team in Buffalo, but if he does there's a clearer path to playing time with no FJax. Just 7 months older than Cardinals' rookie David Johnson.

Montee Ball - Probably time to add him to this list as I'm sure he's been cut in some leagues and could be had for cheap in others. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out with Denver reportedly considering shopping him. He looked awful last year, and odds are long for him going somewhere else and becoming a star... but he looked pretty good as a rookie in relief of Knowshon, which wasn't that long ago. Ball in Dallas or Atlanta could get interesting.

Michael Dyer - No Trent in his way anymore... I think he makes the roster in Oakland, and could work his way into Murray's primary backup on early downs

Dion Lewis - Looks like Vereen to me in his usage... he's a short back, but he's got his burst back and is thick. I think BB and McDaniels will find ways to use his talent.

Rex Burkhead - Loose Circuits has been beating the drum here, but I'm riding shotgun on this bandwagon. They're using him ahead of Gio... go get him now before he catches 70 balls out of the backfield/slot like Danny Woodhead.

Antonio Andrews - Looks like the goal line back for Tennessee; has been called the most consistent guy. Could get a shot at more if Sankey falters and Cobb doesn't progress.

Thomas Rawls - No way he makes the roster in Seattle if FJax signs there... not with Lynch, FJax, Turbin, and Michael. Not sure who goes (Seattle could trade Lynch or Turbin). Should be noted that Dallas tried to sign Rawls before he agreed to a deal in Seattle (was initially reported that Rawls signed with Dallas).

Malcom Brown - Need to see where he lands... doubt he makes STL's roster.

Brandon Wegher - Still a sleeper to watch in Carolina. He's pushing Fozzy, though Fozzy played much better in the third preseason game. I think Wegher makes the roster... from there he'll need to get an opportunity.

WIDE RECEIVERS:

Darren Waller - Still huge and fast; still flashing; still no Perriman. It may take some time here, but definitely one to keep on your watch list.

Duron Carter - Seems to be the 5th WR in Indy... would assume he makes the roster, but could easily be traded. I think he'd get claimed off waivers.

Jamison Crowder - Liked what I saw of him in college, especially in his bowl game against ASU where he was dominating all over the field. He may not have enough time to pass Andre Roberts before the season starts, but he's pushing for PT. He can win out of the slot.

Kevin Norwood - Carolina just acquired him, and while I doubt much comes of it, reports after the trade suggest Carolina was targeting him in the 5th round before Seattle took him a few spots ahead. Ricky Proehl is one of the best WR coaches in the NFL and supposedly really liked Norwood. Now he's got him... Carolina needs pass catchers in the worst way.

Marquess Wilson - Seems to be left for dead by most. He's just 22 years old at this point, loved by the Phenom Index, and if you consider age-adjusted performance to matter, his freshman and sophomore years of college were magical. He's been hurt this preseason, which is dampening the hype IMO. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he blew up week 1 and became the hot waiver wire add. Jeffery is going to draw a ton of attention, and Bennett and Royal will compete with one another for targets underneath and in the middle of the field. Wilson should be 1:1 frequently... matchups he should win.

Aaron Dobson - Looked healthy this weekend, which is big for him. Something's up with LaFell's foot, Edelman hasn't practiced or played, and Reggie Wayne is as old as the earth. There seemed to be some hate spewed toward Dobson after the game against Carolina, but he actually played fairly well IMO. One INT he should've been stronger at the catch point; the other was totally on Brady. Several times he beat his man and was running wide open, but Brady and Jimmy G were either missing him or just looking somewhere else. The Pats need WRs to emerge... would be a great time for that 3rd year breakout from Dobson.

Pats just traded for WR Jalen Saunders... which would indicate to me he's got a chance at making the roster there.

Chris Givens also may belong on this list... I'm not convinced the STL WR corps are settled... Stedman Bailey too for that matter.

Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF 20m20 minutes ago

Chris Givens has a 6.17 yards per route this preseason, the best among WRs.

Also, how about another Husker in Quincy Enunwa. He's risen to the top and been playing in 3 WR sets for the jets with Owusu out. Enunwa has some TO and David Boston to his game. He's like 6-2 230 and runs legit 4.4. If he ever gets a crack at starter reps (Marshall isn't getting younger), he may run with it. Great stash...
Rotoworld::Quincy Enunwa - WR - Jets

According to ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini, the team is "smitten" with second-year WR Quincy Enunwa.

Coach Todd Bowles called the 2014 sixth-round pick a "tweener" due to his 6'2/225 size and above-average blocking skills for a receiver. With Jace Amaro (shoulder) done for the season, Enunwa could have a real role on offense. OC Chan Gailey used four-receiver sets on a league-high 586 snaps from 2010-2012 in Buffalo. Enunwa and Brandon Marshall make for ideal slot players.

Source: ESPN.com Sep 1 - 7:11 PM

Could see him in the old David Nelson role

Last edited by a moderator:
https://vine.co/v/eTgArKdVlmt If Wegher makes the team, ya would think hes worth adding? Regardless the post is much appreciated! Im wanting to add a Rookie RB, but cant decide who to drop Or add..

Ive been watching CAP, but Im not so sure I been watching the right back :wall:

WIDE RECEIVERS:

Darren Waller - Still huge and fast; still flashing; still no Perriman. It may take some time here, but definitely one to keep on your watch list.

Duron Carter - Seems to be the 5th WR in Indy... would assume he makes the roster, but could easily be traded. I think he'd get claimed off waivers.

Jamison Crowder - Liked what I saw of him in college, especially in his bowl game against ASU where he was dominating all over the field. He may not have enough time to pass Andre Roberts before the season starts, but he's pushing for PT. He can win out of the slot.

Kevin Norwood - Carolina just acquired him, and while I doubt much comes of it, reports after the trade suggest Carolina was targeting him in the 5th round before Seattle took him a few spots ahead. Ricky Proehl is one of the best WR coaches in the NFL and supposedly really liked Norwood. Now he's got him... Carolina needs pass catchers in the worst way.

Marquess Wilson - Seems to be left for dead by most. He's just 22 years old at this point, loved by the Phenom Index, and if you consider age-adjusted performance to matter, his freshman and sophomore years of college were magical. He's been hurt this preseason, which is dampening the hype IMO. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he blew up week 1 and became the hot waiver wire add. Jeffery is going to draw a ton of attention, and Bennett and Royal will compete with one another for targets underneath and in the middle of the field. Wilson should be 1:1 frequently... matchups he should win.

Aaron Dobson - Looked healthy this weekend, which is big for him. Something's up with LaFell's foot, Edelman hasn't practiced or played, and Reggie Wayne is as old as the earth. There seemed to be some hate spewed toward Dobson after the game against Carolina, but he actually played fairly well IMO. One INT he should've been stronger at the catch point; the other was totally on Brady. Several times he beat his man and was running wide open, but Brady and Jimmy G were either missing him or just looking somewhere else. The Pats need WRs to emerge... would be a great time for that 3rd year breakout from Dobson.
Quick receivers update...Dobson and Carter should be guys high on the add list. In Dobson's case, Wayne gets cut and LaFell hits PUP. I'm not sure Edelman has practiced much either. Someone's gotta catch the ball outside of Gronk.

Carter waived by Indy may be the best thing for him. Carolina worked him out before he signed with the Colts and had interest in signing him. Not sure if he makes it to them on waivers, but he's gonna be one to watch. Indo expect Carolina to add another receiver over the next couple of days - perhaps Carter or Corey Washington. We'll see about Norwood.

With Jeffery's situation still clear as mud and Royal hobbled a bit as well, Wilson is going to have a golden opportunity in Chicago. He's only 22 and flat out dominated as a young sophomore in the PAC 12.

While I still like Waller long term, I think Aiken may be flying a bit under the radar. He's got the earlier opportunity, and sometimes that makes all the difference.

Willie Snead is a guy I'd keep an eye on as well in New Orleans. Not much on paper, but he's produced all preseason.

Also Loose Circuits' guy Enuwa getting some buzz with the Jets... Rumor was he could get a lot more work if Amaro was let go... Now Amaro's out of the picture and the team is supposedly "smitten" with a guy that's built very similarly to Marshall and Decker. There's potential there in Gailey's attack.

RUNNING BACKS:

Bryce Brown - Still may not make the team in Buffalo, but if he does there's a clearer path to playing time with no FJax. Just 7 months older than Cardinals' rookie David Johnson.

Montee Ball - Probably time to add him to this list as I'm sure he's been cut in some leagues and could be had for cheap in others. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out with Denver reportedly considering shopping him. He looked awful last year, and odds are long for him going somewhere else and becoming a star... but he looked pretty good as a rookie in relief of Knowshon, which wasn't that long ago. Ball in Dallas or Atlanta could get interesting.

Michael Dyer - No Trent in his way anymore... I think he makes the roster in Oakland, and could work his way into Murray's primary backup on early downs

Dion Lewis - Looks like Vereen to me in his usage... he's a short back, but he's got his burst back and is thick. I think BB and McDaniels will find ways to use his talent.

Rex Burkhead - Loose Circuits has been beating the drum here, but I'm riding shotgun on this bandwagon. They're using him ahead of Gio... go get him now before he catches 70 balls out of the backfield/slot like Danny Woodhead.

Antonio Andrews - Looks like the goal line back for Tennessee; has been called the most consistent guy. Could get a shot at more if Sankey falters and Cobb doesn't progress.

Thomas Rawls - No way he makes the roster in Seattle if FJax signs there... not with Lynch, FJax, Turbin, and Michael. Not sure who goes (Seattle could trade Lynch or Turbin). Should be noted that Dallas tried to sign Rawls before he agreed to a deal in Seattle (was initially reported that Rawls signed with Dallas). ETA -- obviously meant they could trade Michael or Turbin, not Lynch. Brain fart.

Malcom Brown - Need to see where he lands... doubt he makes STL's roster.

Brandon Wegher - Still a sleeper to watch in Carolina. He's pushing Fozzy, though Fozzy played much better in the third preseason game. I think Wegher makes the roster... from there he'll need to get an opportunity.
Looks like a few potential hits here...Buffalo is still willing to part with Brown supposedly, so an opportunity could still lie elsewhere. If he stays, there's a chance he sees some decent run week 1 if McCoy can't make it back on the field.

Montee doesn't fit the Broncos new system... Seems to have survived cuts for now, but I'm still skeptical he's there for good. If he is (and is 4th in line for carries), may be time to punt in shallower dynasties.

Dyer's probably headed to the Oakland practice squad. May be a miss here.

Lewis looks like a clear hit with reports that he's won the Vereen role. With no Jonas Gray and Blount suspended week 1, Lewis may lead the team in touches on Thursday. He's a guy whose value is almost guaranteed to shoot up in the next few weeks.

I still think Burkhead has a coming out party this year as well. The Bengals have a real weapon there, and I trust Hue Jackson to get the most out of his personnel.

Andrews still looks like the goal line guy. We'll see if Tennessee adds anyone else.

Rawls and Wegher look like they've cleared the first hurdle and made the team. In Rawls case, it's not good news - his path to playing time is pretty cloudy behind Lynch, Jackson, and Michael. Wegher, however, is behind an injury prone starter, a 5th rounder who's admittedly looked good, and another UDFA in Whittaker. Keep an eye on him... Carolina really likes him.

Brown is a name to keep in mind as rosters settle out. Still believe he's got quite a bit of talent, just needs an opportunity.

Wegher is interesting.

What about Orleans Darkwa, NYG RB? Coughlin really seems to like him, and the path to relevancy on that team isn't that steep.

Added Brandon Wegher to several dynasty rosters after he made the 53. Also grabbed the UDFA rookie Dolphins K, Andrew Franks.

More Dion Lewis love...

@BenVolin: Fantasy folks generally want to avoid #Patriots RBs, but if there's one to watch early on it's Dion Lewis. Have a good feeling about him

This is the really deep thread, right?

Does anyone know anything about EJ Bipps? I picked him up in a deep league (32 teams) over a month ago, he made the roster and the reports are pretty good. But who watches Cleveland? Opportunity is there to start.

A guy I have on almost every dynasty team is 49ers WR DeAndre Smelter. He is a rookie 4th round pick who didn't play a snap in the preseason as he recovers from an ACL injury. I really liked his college highlights though and he has a lot of the qualities that you want in an NFL possession WR. Big and athletic with deceptive quickness. Somewhere in the ballpark of Eric Decker ---> Brandon Marshall. The road to significant targets could be easy with Boldin nearing the end of his career and Torrey not being a real #1. He was picked in the rookie draft in most of my leagues, but could be on waivers in some formats. Definitely a name to remember for the future.

For that matter, Quinton Patton is still on the team and may finally get a chance to do something this year with Crabtree gone.

This is a great thread, thanks for kicking it off.

It's a shame about Duron Carter not getting picked up - surprised that Carolina didn't take a shot with him.

Great call on Dion Lewis - if he's still available in your leagues, I'd definitely give him a stash.

I immediately grabbed Juwan Thompson after Ball's release. CJ has been getting nicked up in pre-season games so I don't know how he will manage to stay health with more regular season carries.

Donnybrook said:
I immediately grabbed Juwan Thompson after Ball's release. CJ has been getting nicked up in pre-season games so I don't know how he will manage to stay health with more regular season carries.
Hillman has looked really good and been the #2

Donnybrook said:
Hillman has looked really good and been the #2
The tittle of this thread is "Deep Dynasty Watch". Hillman is own in most league but Thompson is not. Thompson has goal-line potential that Hillman doesn't.

FUBAR said:
This is the really deep thread, right?

Does anyone know anything about EJ Bipps? I picked him up in a deep league (32 teams) over a month ago, he made the roster and the reports are pretty good. But who watches Cleveland? Opportunity is there to start.
Bibbs looked good in preseason with the 2s & 3s. He's athletic with good hands. There's not much in front of him apparently, since Housler showed nothing that I could see and Barnidge & Dray would rank behind him for receiving skills. I cannot attest to blocking skills, though.

Wasn't intending to bump this thread literally a year to the day, but had been planning to get around to bringing it back to the forefront.  Two major hits on last season's list -- Thomas Rawls and Dion Lewis.  That's the kind of value you can get by churning that last roster on your squad... wish I had listened to myself more on Rawls, but I did have Lewis on every single team.  So let's take another shot at this for 2016 -- homer opinions are very welcomed. 

These are mostly late rookies or free agents floating around on waiver wires or easily acquired from a frustrated owner... to the RBs (in no particular order):

Dwayne Washington (DET) -- I'll direct you to his thread where I've been beating the drum steadily with the help of beat writers.  He's essentially CJ Prosise without the college production.  Big, fast, shifty, and can catch the ball very well as a converted WR.  He's turning heads in Detroit camp, and I don't think anyone there has locked down a long-term RB role.  Abdullah has the fumbling issues and is nicked up; Zenner has underwhelmed a bit this preseason (it's plausible Washington is just better).

Isaiah Pead (MIA) -- Left for dead, cut by multiple teams, got a shot in Miami and is making the most of it.  He's not going to open the season as a starter... not with Foster and Ajayi in town.  But Foster's been quite injury prone the last few years, and Ajayi isn't proven either.  Ajayi runs like the Tazmanian Devil, but sometimes it's a lot of sound and fury leading nowhere.  Gase has already said he prefers to stick with a lead back (at least for drives at a time), so the hopes of Pead taking over a 3rd down role are slim (and Foster is a very good pass catcher, so what's the point?).  That said, Gase has also said Pead continues to make plays whenever he is given the opportunity, and the team has tried to get him looks with the first team offense in the 2nd and 3rd preseason games.  Beat writers are saying Pead's been a first down machine in practice, and continues to make plays whenever he has opportunities.  He seems to have really matured, and may be poised to finally make good on his draft pedigree.

Tyler Gaffney (NEP) -- I think BB and the Pats just really like this guy... they swiped him from the Panthers after Gaffney tore his meniscus in OTAs shortly after being a 6th round pick.  Since then, they've kept him on IR and in their building for the past 2 years while he's fought multiple injuries.  Now he's continually getting first team reps in training camp, and getting run with the first team at times during games.  Blount is very likely ahead of him in the pecking order, and Gaffney's not the pass catcher Lewis is, or maybe even White for that matter.  But the Pats just seem to like this kid a lot. 

DJ Foster (NEP) -- He may be competing with Gaffney for a final roster spot, but wouldn't it be just like Belichek to zig when everyone expects him to zag?  The expectation right now is for Blount to be the early down hammer with James White serving as the passing down compliment.  Foster has missed a lot of camp time, but is now back in the fold, and some are arguing is the next-in-line passing down guy if White screws up or gets hurt.  Most likely outcome sees Foster get cut, but stranger things have happened.

Brandon Wegher (CAR) -- Our first repeat on the list... here's what I said last year:

Brandon Wegher (Panthers) -- Wegher too has taken quite the path to get to the NFL. His pro-day results painted a picture of a pretty solid running back, running a 4.5 40 at 213lbs with 37" vert and a 118" broad jump. Now he finds himself in Carolina where he's reportedly pushing Fozzy Whitaker for a roster spot. The Panthers also drafted Cameron Artis-Payne in the 5th round, but we've seen UDFA's beat out late draft picks before... and both are behind Jonathan Stewart, a guy who always seems to be nicked up a little bit. Wegher doesn't need to be rostered right now, but keep an eye on him if he makes the team. The Panthers seem to really love this kid, and for good reason.
Wegher made the 53 man roster last year and is back again for another training camp.  There have been whispers around the team that Wegher may be easing ahead of Cameron Artis-Payne in the pecking order.  In previous years, the handcuff to Jonathan Stewart has been a very valuable asset, yet no one seems to be talking about it this year.  CAP has more draft pedigree, but I think Wegher just might be a better fit, especially as a guy they can use in both running and passing situations, something OC Shula really values.  I don't think CAP gets cut, but I'll be curiously watching to see if Wegher slides ahead of CAP in the rotation.  The preseason stats here are a bit misleading as Wegher has had absolutely nowhere to run behind the 2nd and 3rd team OLs.

Darius Jackson (DAL) -- Jackson may be owned in some leagues, but I have a feeling he's floating around in a lot of them due to the stacked depth chart ahead of him (Zeke, Morris, McFadden, Dunbar).  Odds are Dallas looks to move McFadden before final cuts, but given their struggles to keep a healthy RB on the field last year, I wouldn't be shocked to see them keep all three veterans.  Jackson's an absolute freak of an athlete -- 6'0" 220lbs; 4.40 40; 41" Vertical; 133" Broad (!!!); 4.29 short shuttle; 6.87 3-Cone.  The most interesting thing here would be to see Jackson cut where some other team could pounce on him before he reaches the Dallas practice squad.  I think it's more likely Dallas finds a way to keep him, but we can hope and dream in the meantime.

Jalen Richard (OAK) -- Waldman's been talking about Richard a bit this offseason on the Footballguys Podcast, but he's been banged up in camp.  DeAndre Washington may have solidified his role as the passing down compliment to Murray, but don't write off Richard just yet.  News just came out today that:

Raiders OC Bill Musgrave said undrafted rookie RB Jalen Richard looked "spectacular" early in training camp before suffering a knee injury.
Richard has since missed the first two preseason games, but is expected to play Saturday night against the Titans. The UDFA out of Southern Miss is also expected to get some run with the first-team offense, along with rookie DeAndre Washington, so the Raiders can get a good read of the backup situation behind Latavius Murray. Richard is currently third on the depth chart.
I'm not sure about the third on the depth chart talk, as that feels like Rotoworld editorializing per usual, but Richard is talented, despite nothing in the metrics profile really jumping off the page.

Mike Davis (SF) -- This one may not be available in a lot of leagues as you don't often find 4th rounders from the prior year just cast by the wayside... but Davis' rookie year was SO bad, I've found him available a couple of times.  Chip Kelly is here to save the 49ers offense!  Really though, we know Kelly's teams will play fast and be built around the running game.  Carlos Hyde is in a great position to succeed, but Carlos Hyde has been more like Fragile Freddie his first few years in the league, missing tons of time with various ailments.  Journeyman Shaun Draughn is currently the 3rd down/backup RB, and is a popular sleeper in his own right as Captain Checkdown Blaine Gabbert could throw 75 passes to Draughn on third downs... But third on the depth chart is Mike Davis.  Davis is a BSOHL story this preseason, after giving up chips in an effort to eat better.  I'm not making this up.  Whatever he did, the results look fantastic, other than the two fumbles in the second preseason game.  To my knowledge, Davis doesn't have a history of fumbling, so hopefully that's just one hiccup.  Should Hyde go down again, we may se Kelly turn to Davis as his lead man.

Tyler Ervin (HOU) -- Again, YMMV from league to league.  Ervin won the combine as a metrics freak, and was a workhorse in college at San Jose State, despite his stature at 5'10" 192lbs.  He posted a 4.41 40, 39" Vertical, and a 130" Broad jump.  He's also a return specialist, a role the Texans are trying to take advantage of.  To this point, he hasn't flashed in preseason, but he's a guy that can do it all, and Miller has been dinged up before.  Should Miller go down, I want Ervin over Alfred Blue and Jonathan Grimes. 

One more here...

Robert Turbin (IND) -- All the hype thus far has gone to Josh Ferguson behind Frank Gore... but Turbin's the guy running as the second string back in camp.  Turbin can pass protect (something I'm not sure we've seen from Ferguson with consistency), and there's no chance the Colts let a guy that can't pass pro on the field with Luck.  Turbin's actually a bit bigger than Gore, and Turbin's never been given much of a shot at a legit job.  He may not be special in any particular way, but sometimes you don't have to be special to produce RB2 stats, and that Colts offense is the right place to be to do just that.  Gore's 33, and Pagano insists the team wants to keep him on a pitch count.  There's opportunity there for someone else to step up and seize that backup RB job behind a guy that has held off Father Time a lot longer than most of his counterparts.  Is this the season the Grim Reaper actually wins out?  I'm not sure, but if nothing else I want the guy that'll get goal line carries if Gore's unavailable, which isn't that bad a prop bet.  To me, that's the 225lb Robert Turbin.

One more here...

Robert Turbin (IND) -- All the hype thus far has gone to Josh Ferguson behind Frank Gore... but Turbin's the guy running as the second string back in camp.  Turbin can pass protect (something I'm not sure we've seen from Ferguson with consistency), and there's no chance the Colts let a guy that can't pass pro on the field with Luck.  Turbin's actually a bit bigger than Gore, and Turbin's never been given much of a shot at a legit job.  He may not be special in any particular way, but sometimes you don't have to be special to produce RB2 stats, and that Colts offense is the right place to be to do just that.  Gore's 33, and Pagano insists the team wants to keep him on a pitch count.  There's opportunity there for someone else to step up and seize that backup RB job behind a guy that has held off Father Time a lot longer than most of his counterparts.  Is this the season the Grim Reaper actually wins out?  I'm not sure, but if nothing else I want the guy that'll get goal line carries if Gore's unavailable, which isn't that bad a prop bet.  To me, that's the 225lb Robert Turbin.
Thanks for posting...do you have a list for WR as well?

One more here...

What has become of Turbin's off season arrest for marijuana?  Although Ferguson has failed to live up to the early hype, Turbin's own struggles this preseason give me reason for pause.

What has become of Turbin's off season arrest for marijuana?  Although Ferguson has failed to live up to the early hype, Turbin's own struggles this preseason give me reason for pause.
Yeah - I almost added Jordan Toddman... he's a guy that can do something a bit different than Turbin and Gore with the breakaway speed.  He's also a special teams ace, so I think he's making the squad. 

Not sure on the Turbin offseason thing...

Thanks for posting...do you have a list for WR as well?
To be perfectly honest, I don't really have a list for WRs... I started writing one, but it's all guys we all know and have heard getting preseason buzz like Pryor, Ellington, and Hogan.  I've just not dug that deep on the WRs or TEs for that matter.  I'd love to hear what others think on that front.

Yeah - I almost added Jordan Toddman... he's a guy that can do something a bit different than Turbin and Gore with the breakaway speed.  He's also a special teams ace, so I think he's making the squad. 

Not sure on the Turbin offseason thing...
And apparently the Colts are now meeting with Stevan Ridley... they're clearly worried about their RB situation behind Gore.  Idk why they haven't called up Karlos Williams (though he's obviously suspended.  Will be interesting to see who makes the final roster in Indy for sure.

You could have added Malcolm Brown LA and Kenjon Barner PHI as repeats too (although Barner was mentioned by someone else). You know Brown isn't going to start barring injury but he continues to play well. Barner will get an opportunity on a team that should play ball control.

There's also a rookie in WAS no one is paying attention to Rob Kelley. Will start tonight with Jones out.

You could have added Malcolm Brown LA and Kenjon Barner PHI as repeats too (although Barner was mentioned by someone else). You know Brown isn't going to start barring injury but he continues to play well. Barner will get an opportunity on a team that should play ball control.

There's also a rookie in WAS no one is paying attention to Rob Kelley. Will start tonight with Jones out.
You're right - I should've stayed on those two.  I assumed Barner's opportunity was too well known now, but you may be right.  With Smallwood getting the buzz, Barner is flying under the radar as the possible next-in-line.

I love Malcolm Brown's ability... I just wish LA would try to send him to their practice squad one more time and someone else would pounce.  Still believe he can play in this league.

As for Kelley -- I know his place on the depth chart, but I almost don't believe it.  There's nothing special in either the metrics or the production.  I'm frankly not sure how he even got invited to camp, much less has passed Marshall (which, what does that say about Marshall?).  I'm floored Washington hasn't signed someone else yet... absolutely floored.

This one is really deep, but Jacksonville State's Troymaine Pope has turned some heads in Seahawks camp.  If there's a team in the NFL that believes in competition and the best man making the roster, it's Seattle.  Pope isn't big, but he's not small either: 5'8" 205 with 4.55 speed, solid jumps at 35" Vertical and 120" Broad.  His short shuttle was 4.21, and his 3-cone was 6.87.  Those are hallmarks of a shifty back...

In Seattle's second preseason game he had 10 carries for 86 yards and a TD.  Last night, after Michael and Prosise handled most of the starter's load, Collins got 2 carries and Brooks got 2 carries, then Pope played.  He ended up with 4 carries for 14 yards, compared to Collins' 3-19 and Brooks' 4-7.  It's plausible he makes the roster, though... probably a longshot.

You're right - I should've stayed on those two.  I assumed Barner's opportunity was too well known now, but you may be right.  With Smallwood getting the buzz, Barner is flying under the radar as the possible next-in-line.

I love Malcolm Brown's ability... I just wish LA would try to send him to their practice squad one more time and someone else would pounce.  Still believe he can play in this league.

As for Kelley -- I know his place on the depth chart, but I almost don't believe it.  There's nothing special in either the metrics or the production.  I'm frankly not sure how he even got invited to camp, much less has passed Marshall (which, what does that say about Marshall?).  I'm floored Washington hasn't signed someone else yet... absolutely floored.
Agree. He's the single least impressive NFL RB prospect I have ever seen. Too bad they didn't draft a guy like Dwayne Washington or Darius Jackson. 

Users who are viewing this thread