What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Andy Dalton, CAR (1 Viewer)

QuizGuy66 said:
Mr Non Sequitur said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Andy Dalton - QB - Bengals

Bengals signed QB Andy Dalton to a six-year, $115 million contract.

While it looks like a ton of money on paper, this is certainly going to be a pay-as-you-go deal like the 49ers handed Colin Kaepernick earlier in the offseason. A very small portion of the deal will actually be fully guaranteed, and Dalton is going to have to earn his salary with his play. There's just no middle ground for teams to go off of when paying their quarterbacks. It's all or nothing. Dalton's $19.1 million annual average in new money puts him in the top ten among signal callers. It's quite a haul for a player who's yet to win a playoff game.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Aug 4 - 10:11 AM
-Good agent

-Naive owner

-HC who could care less about public opinions

$19M a season, QBs are going to get $25-$30M a season very soon.
If you think Dalton's agent could pull one over on Mike Brown you got another thing coming.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/04/dalton-gets-17-million-now-22-million-through-early-march/

The Bengals could get out for as little a 2 years /$25m total.

Really a $16m/year average and a lot of that is at the end. He has escalators based on playoff round/winning Super Bowl.

-QG
Bill Cosby: "If you think I was put on this Earth to be your slave, you've got another thing coming"

Seems like it is backloaded which makes it a prove it to us deal while still keeping him under contract and happy as long as he produces. We'll see how this plays out but I like how you and a few others found some details on the money and actually what he will make over the next 3 years.

i think this deal will prove to be a mistake.
What should the deal have been?

-QG
I have to assume tool thinks they shouldn't have extended him at all, and just rolled dice on a rookie in next year's draft, as that was the other option -- maybe franchised him next year
Yeah maybe they had no choice. Seems like a lot for an adequate qb, but they did give themselves some ways out of the contract.

he was top 10 statistically last year and they just signed him for ~13m/yr through 2018 with only 17m guaranteed, which means it's only a 2 yr commitment, if that.

is that really so pricey?

the 2 sides basically took the path not traveled by flacco/balt --- how'd that work out for baltimore?

Last edited by a moderator:
In what way? All of the guaranteed money is paid in 2014 - every penny. His cap number next year is under $10M - far below the franchise QB number. Even if he's a disaster they need to walk away from, that's not a terrible out payment, and they can spread that over 2 years if they choose. Heck even if they draft QB #1 and groom him, that's not the worst 1 year salary to pay a veteran backup/stopgap QB while you let the deal whittle down, the dead money reduces by about $2.5M per year.

This is a near-zero risk contract that lets them continue the positive momentum while affording a ton of flexibility in exit strategy.

he was top 10 statistically last year and they just signed him for ~13m/yr through 2018 with only 17m guaranteed, which means it's only a 2 yr commitment, if that.

is that really so pricey?

the 2 sides basically took the path not traveled by flacco/balt --- how'd that work out for baltimore?
i think Baltimore made this sort of offer to Flacco, he turned it down.

Dalton's time with receivers is 'everything'

By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

CINCINNATI -- You want one reason why the Cincinnati Bengals felt compelled to lock up quarterback Andy Dalton long term?

Look no further than the men catching passes from him.

If it wasn't for the time Dalton has spent growing and learning alongside the team's similarly young wideouts, the organization might have been compelled to wait a little longer to re-sign the 26-year-old quarterback. Or, at the very least, it may have offered him a less favorable deal than the one he is reported to have signed as part of his six-year extension.

ESPN Insiders Adam Schefter and Adam Caplan reported via a source that he had been inked for $115 million total.

As much as the deal was about Dalton getting paid at an amount and structure comparable to quarterbacks at his experience and success level, it also was about giving money to a player whose development will be enhanced for some time by the players and scheme around him.

Quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese said it best Monday afternoon when he remarked that the time Dalton has spent with his receivers the last three years has meant "everything."

"It's hard to just slap a couple of guys together and coach some routes and think it's all going to happen," Zampese said. "These guys have done it in the heat of it together. They grew up together here with us and this verbiage."

The receivers have done it, all right. But if the Bengals want Dalton to start a new trend of winning playoff games, they better make sure to keep the receivers in a spot where they can keep doing it.

Under new offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, Dalton ought to be less pressed to perform than he was in his first three seasons. He'll also have receivers he's truly comfortable with, and running backs who are expected to shoulder more of the load than they did in the past. Gone are the days when Dalton will throw 50 passes or more a game. Now, he might be lucky if he averages 30 attempts.

So far, it appears Jackson's tweaks have paid off. Dalton looked "sensational" to him during Saturday's scrimmage and the rest of camp. Dalton's receivers have been running crisp routes and have hauled in their share of deep balls; passes he struggled throwing consistently last season.

He's been making them look good, and they've been doing the same for him. That's all the more reason to try to keep this passing/pass-catching unit in place for years to come.

"When you see the ball hit a guy in the face, you've probably seen the ball do that more now than in the three years that we've been working with this group of guys," Zampese said.

Come to think of it, Dalton hasn't made many of his receivers stretch for too many passes so far. More times than not, passes have been caught in stride, giving the receiver ample opportunities to gain additional yards downfield. What Dalton has been showing stands in stark contrast to what he had shown before. According to a study conducted by Football Outsiders, his top two receivers' catch radii last season were some of the worst in the league the last three years.

The improvements have been noted. Which means it really isn't a stretch to suggest that although it's early in training camp, Dalton right now is playing some of the best ball of his career.

"Coach Jackson's brought an urgency to the group and it's been beneficial to all of us. Especially Andy," Zampese said.

What else has been beneficial to Dalton? "Trust," Zampese said.

"We're quickening up his drop and getting the ball out sooner so they're not as far down the field when he is releasing it, and we're trusting," Zampese added. "We're trusting that the receiver will be there. Throw it early."

Backup quarterback Jason Campbell, one of the first Bengals to learn of Dalton's extension, said the time Dalton and his receivers have had together these last few seasons is evident.

"You can look across the field and say, 'Hey, I've been throwing to this guy for three years or this guy for four years.' Then you get into the middle of a game and you see something in the chemistry of playing together," said Campbell, a veteran who is in his fifth locker room. "Things just happen. If you don't know a guy, he doesn't know what you're going to do."

Dalton knows his receivers now. Of the seven who seem to have the best chance of making the 53-man roster, all but two have played with Dalton since 2012. James Wright is a rookie this season, and Cobi Hamilton is entering his second season with the organization.

After drafting a number of solid playmakers in recent years, the Bengals now have put themselves in the unenviable spot of needing to make tough roster moves in coming seasons. Green, Mohamed Sanu, Marvin Jones, Tyler Eifert and Giovani Bernard will be negotiating longer term deals in the next two seasons. But now Dalton's deal, combined with Geno Atkins' and Carlos Dunlap's last year, could make it that much more difficult for the Bengals to retain them all.

The Bengals will have to at least try, though. After all, those guys are his "everything."

What should the deal have been?-QG
draft Bridgewater, make Dalton prove it this year.
And when he "proves" what most already think, that he's pretty good and not great, then what?
Do most think that? If he were so good why are they taking the ball from his hands? Why are their so many articles questioning him?
Not sure what taking the ball from his hands means. He had the 8th most passing attempts in the league last year, finished 7th in yards, and 3rd in touchdowns. They ask a ton from him. He gets criticized by people saying that anyone can compile his stats throwing that much and also gets criticized for them taking the ball from him. I'm not really sure how that works.

I think the articles stem entirely from the playoff record and peformances, which have been legitimately bad.

And when he "proves" what most already think, that he's pretty good and not great, then what?
idont think he is pretty good. If he proves that then you let him walk and use his money to get better players around Bridgewater.
If he proves what?

I doubt he's going to prove to you that he's good if top 10 statistical seasons and 3 straight playoff appearances haven't done it. I doubt he's going to prove to anyone else that he's bad by putting up a clunker.

He's had 50 starts, I'm not sure why people treat him like an unknown who might suck and might take off. Chances are pretty high that Andy Dalton 2014 looks a lot like Dalton 2011-2013 for better and worse. I don't think you're crazy for wanting to play it out and I wanted that for a while myself, but really you aren't likely to gain any new information in that year to outweigh the cost.

Most importantly, the Bengals view themselves in a winning window. Maybe you don't, but they do. I LOVE Teddy Bridgewater, but they're not tossing in a rookie to see what happens at the most important position when they think they have a team that can win.

maybe they just weren't that crazy about bridgewater ---- pretty much every team had a chance at him.

all the fans love these guys when they're an unscratched ticket, but bridgewater went 32nd, and dalton was just behind in 35th ---- couple years later dalton's getting ripped.

do we know it'll be different for bridgewater?

idont think he is pretty good. If he proves that then you let him walk and use his money to get better players around Bridgewater.
If he proves what?

I doubt he's going to prove to you that he's good if top 10 statistical seasons and 3 straight playoff appearances haven't done it. I doubt he's going to prove to anyone else that he's bad by putting up a clunker.

He's had 50 starts, I'm not sure why people treat him like an unknown who might suck and might take off. Chances are pretty high that Andy Dalton 2014 looks a lot like Dalton 2011-2013 for better and worse. I don't think you're crazy for wanting to play it out and I wanted that for a while myself, but really you aren't likely to gain any new information in that year to outweigh the cost.

Most importantly, the Bengals view themselves in a winning window. Maybe you don't, but they do. I LOVE Teddy Bridgewater, but they're not tossing in a rookie to see what happens at the most important position when they think they have a team that can win.
If you're going to boxscore scout Dalton then this isn't going anywhere.

You're right that he's probably the same guy he's been to this point, which is why I'd have let him play this year out then let him go and recoup the comp pick. His play regresses greatly under duress and when the first read/AJ Green isn't there. It works against worse competition because the guys around him (blockers, weapons) are better. It doesn't work against better competition because then he is being more relied on to make the play.

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe they just weren't that crazy about bridgewater ---- pretty much every team had a chance at him.

all the fans love these guys when they're an unscratched ticket, but bridgewater went 32nd, and dalton was just behind in 35th ---- couple years later dalton's getting ripped.

do we know it'll be different for bridgewater?
Of course not, but you're building around a much more cost effective unknown in Bridgewater instead of paying for known mediocrity in Dalton. That's the difference, a higher ceiling and more available funds to get better players around him.

I also think Bridgewater is going to be a very good QB and that he was given a raw deal in the offseason process, so there's that too.

If he proves what?

You're right that he's probably the same guy he's been to this point, which is why I'd have let him play this year out then let him go and recoup the comp pick. His play regresses greatly under duress and when the first read/AJ Green isn't there. It works against worse competition because the guys around him (blockers, weapons) are better. It doesn't work against better competition because then he is being more relied on to make the play.
I know this is a tangent, but as a Bengals fan it really is amazing to hear people talk this way. When he showed up, people were literally predicting 0 wins. Zero. Instead, he started putting up playoffs and numbers from day 1 and it was apparently because everyone else magically got awesome.

We'll find out which side is right in a couple of/three years as all those young, cheap players get to free agency and the Bengals have committed 40% of their cap to Dalton, Green, Atkins, and Dunlap. Based on what I've seen I think the team around him has gotten a lot better since he got there, but he is holding them back from what they could be.

This deal lets them cut him at any point after this season, really. Not exactly a blockbuster with only 17 g$.

This deal lets them cut him at any point after this season, really. Not exactly a blockbuster with only 17 g$.
I will give them credit for this. If they're going forward with him as their guy this was the type of contract to execute.

cheese said:
MAC_32 said:
cheese said:
If he proves what?

I know this is a tangent, but as a Bengals fan it really is amazing to hear people talk this way. When he showed up, people were literally predicting 0 wins. Zero. Instead, he started putting up playoffs and numbers from day 1 and it was apparently because everyone else magically got awesome.
The quote was "Andrew Luck welcome to Cincinnati" at the kickoff of game 1 for Dalton, I believe.

-QG

It's just preseason of course. But Dalton under threw Green again when he was 3 yds behind the secondary. Turned a TD into just a big gain.

Im not a Dalton fan, but so far (yea, just preseason) he has looked pretty damn good. I don't think the pass to AJ was that bad and as was mentioned, the Sanu pass was perfect.

Im not a Dalton fan, but so far (yea, just preseason) he has looked pretty damn good. I don't think the pass to AJ was that bad and as was mentioned, the Sanu pass was perfect.
It wast THAT bad because it was still complete. It was undeniably the difference in a TD and just a long gain, though.

It wast THAT bad because it was still complete. It was undeniably the difference in a TD and just a long gain, though.
I don't think this is all Dalton's fault. AJ Green, while a great receiver, tends to step out of bounds way too quickly when he hears feet coming at him. I have watched most Bengals games since he came into the league, and he does this quite frequently, and often inside the 10 yard line. He really had nobody on him so close that he couldn't have stayed in and turned that into a touchdown, IMO. Watching the game, my initial reaction was "why are you stepping out?" He wasn't off balance, from what I could see.

I don't think this is all Dalton's fault. AJ Green, while a great receiver, tends to step out of bounds way too quickly when he hears feet coming at him. I have watched most Bengals games since he came into the league, and he does this quite frequently, and often inside the 10 yard line. He really had nobody on him so close that he couldn't have stayed in and turned that into a touchdown, IMO. Watching the game, my initial reaction was "why are you stepping out?" He wasn't off balance, from what I could see.
There is no way we are talking about the same play here.

Just because he was tackled doesn't make it a bad pass. That is damn near in stride. http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/8/7/5981201/a-j-green-catches-bomb-from-andy-dalton-gif

Just because he was tackled doesn't make it a bad pass. That is damn near in stride. http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/8/7/5981201/a-j-green-catches-bomb-from-andy-dalton-gif
It only looks that way because of Green's ability to adjust to the ball so well. That pass needs to be thrown to the upfield shoulder and over the top. It was thrown bellow the inside shoulder and forced him into the opposite hash defender.

It only looks that way because of Green's ability to adjust to the ball so well. That pass needs to be thrown to the upfield shoulder and over the top. It was thrown bellow the inside shoulder and forced him into the opposite hash defender.
With his Oline being pushed in his face and not stepping into the throw?... I'm sorry this is an instance of prior precedence clouding what you see happen. The route is also running inside (you can see AJ is heading infield as part of the route, not an adjustment) That ball goes outside shoulder and AJ has to turn around to catch it, and comes back into the primary defender.

With his Oline being pushed in his face and not stepping into the throw?... I'm sorry this is an instance of prior precedence clouding what you see happen. The route is also running inside (you can see AJ is heading infield as part of the route, not an adjustment) That ball goes outside shoulder and AJ has to turn around to catch it, and comes back into the primary defender.
I don't disagree that his line is being pushed in his way and it effects the throw. You seem to be using that as justification for why it's inaccurate and then also claim how it is accurate at the same time. It's a verticals seem route that should have the WR running down the pass vertically. Not behind him and inside. If that ball is towards the upfield shoulder he never breaks stride and it's a TD. Simple as that.

I don't disagree that his line is being pushed in his way and it effects the throw. You seem to be using that as justification for why it's inaccurate and then also claim how it is accurate at the same time. It's a verticals seem route that should have the WR running down the pass vertically. Not behind him and inside. If that ball is towards the upfield shoulder he never breaks stride and it's a TD. Simple as that.
Oh just stop already. You act as if every other QB can drop a dime while throwing the deep ball. Could Dalton's pass have been better? Of course, but let's be real here, a perfectly thrown pass on a deep ball is a rare feat by ANY QB. That pass, while not perfect, was DAMN close to being perfect. I bet a perfectly thrown deep ball - the type you are criticizing Dalton for not executing - only happens a handful of times a season, tbh.

The lengths that many on here will argue a point is getting way beyond ridiculous. It's a social phenomenon that I think has been perpetuated by online forums and the internet's endless supply of opinions, ideas and information.

Exactly. That's a damn good throw by him and is in no way something that should be talked about as a negative.

Oh just stop already. You act as if every other QB can drop a dime while throwing the deep ball. Could Dalton's pass have been better? Of course, but let's be real here, a perfectly thrown pass on a deep ball is a rare feat by ANY QB. That pass, while not perfect, was DAMN close to being perfect. I bet a perfectly thrown deep ball - the type you are criticizing Dalton for not executing - only happens a handful of times a season, tbh.The lengths that many on here will argue a point is getting way beyond ridiculous. It's a social phenomenon that I think has been perpetuated by online forums and the internet's endless supply of opinions, ideas and information.
:goodposting: Just damn :goodposting:

Rhythmdoctor said:
jurb26 said:
Oh just stop already. You act as if every other QB can drop a dime while throwing the deep ball. Could Dalton's pass have been better? Of course, but let's be real here, a perfectly thrown pass on a deep ball is a rare feat by ANY QB. That pass, while not perfect, was DAMN close to being perfect. I bet a perfectly thrown deep ball - the type you are criticizing Dalton for not executing - only happens a handful of times a season, tbh.The lengths that many on here will argue a point is getting way beyond ridiculous. It's a social phenomenon that I think has been perpetuated by online forums and the internet's endless supply of opinions, ideas and information.
Did you miss the title of the thread? The fact that people are arguing that pass as accurate is amazing. The fact that you are upset people are debating a Dalton deep ball in the Dalton deep ball thread is equally amazing.

I'm just gonna bump this right here. Dalton is miscast as an AFC North QB where you have to be able to throw through the gales of November

What are Daltons stats in televised games...always seems like the bingles are terrible in the prime time games....we should all know better at this point.

What are Daltons stats in televised games...always seems like the bingles are terrible in the prime time games....we should all know better at this point.
Agreed. I don't think I have ever seen him not look terrible although tonight is ridiculously bad.

This guy is terrible. I don't know how AJ Green has done it until now, props to Cleveland D too. But at home!!?? I've said this for years too: Marvin Lewis is not the answer, then, now or for the future. They've literally wasted years with this guy ala Rex Ryan. Dumb in Cincy.

Worst QB performance I think I've ever seen tonight. How is he still in the game?

Users who are viewing this thread