What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Baker Mayfield, TB (2 Viewers)

How is this guy still employed?

Evans owner?
Godwin, but nothing to do with that, he’s terrible!

He’s used half the 4th quarter and taken the play clock to 2 seconds 3x on a drive in the 4th while they’re down 14. Guy is a backup, not a starter. Not sure why someone would argue against that.

I’ve seen some terribly predictable play calling, starting multiple drives in their own end zone, and a lot of receivers letting him down tonight. I’ve seen at least 5 drops maybe more where Baker hit these guys in the hands.

I do agree the clock management on this drive has been bad. I also think they got lucky with some penalties and fortunate bounces.

I also don’t see receivers getting open and I see a guy running for his life back there.

While he could have played a better game, not many around him have helped him, and Bills have been playing great defense tonight.

24-18 with all three timeouts and the two minute warning. I’m sure the Bills will run out the clock now….

No I don’t think this is all on Baker.

Evans owner?

He’s used half the 4th quarter and taken the play clock to 2 seconds 3x on a drive in the 4th while they’re down 14. Guy is a backup, not a starter. Not sure why someone would argue against that.

I’ve seen some terribly predictable play calling, starting multiple drives in their own end zone, and a lot of receivers letting him down tonight. I’ve seen at least 5 drops maybe more where Baker hit these guys in the hands.

I do agree the clock management on this drive has been bad. I also think they got lucky with some penalties and fortunate bounces.

I also don’t see receivers getting open and I see a guy running for his life back there.

While he could have played a better game, not many around him have helped him, and Bills have been playing great defense tonight.

24-18 with all three timeouts and the two minute warning. I’m sure the Bills will run out the clock now….

He’s like a poor man’s Jimmy Garoppolo. He’s mediocre at best. I’d rather play an unknown rookie for cheap and free up cap space.

Evans owner?

He’s like a poor man’s Jimmy Garoppolo. He’s mediocre at best. I’d rather play an unknown rookie for cheap and free up cap space.
Ironically Godwin forgot to turn around on a Hail Mary and they would have won the game if his head was in it. But yeah, blame it on Baker. 😂

Evans owner?

Yet, he came within one play of beating the Bills at home... a perfectly thrown Hail Mary that bounced off the end zone turf because none of the Bucc's WRs seemed to know the play. Bizarre ending.

Evans owner?

Ironically Godwin forgot to turn around on a Hail Mary and they would have won the game if his head was in it. But yeah, blame it on Baker. 😂
Yeah, that's the most basic thing for a WR to do on a Hail Mary. WTF Godwin?

Not a Baker apologist. He lacked urgency, decisiveness.

That said, the play calling is painful to watch. Unimaginative. Their o line is poo. They were getting to him consistently while rushing four and playing zone. Design some screens, rollouts, timing patterns. Anything. Just mix it up. How much do they pay Canales to tell Baker to stand back and wait for someone to get open?

Not a Baker apologist. He lacked urgency, decisiveness.

That said, the play calling is painful to watch. Unimaginative. Their o line is poo. They were getting to him consistently while rushing four and playing zone. Design some screens, rollouts, timing patterns. Anything. Just mix it up. How much do they pay Canales to tell Baker to stand back and wait for someone to get open?
All three analysts on NFL Network this morning said it is not Bakers fault. Bills were playing zone and they were running man to man routes. Baker had no time to even get to his second progression. They showed at least 10 different plays where he is hit or pressured within seconds.

Baker and the TB offense are also not good enough to overcome multiple penalties. Until the last slow and lucky drive when they benefitted from penalties and bounces, they only had about 250 yards of offense. Rachaad looked good, Baker could've gone to him even more instead of holding onto the ball too long, even in his own end zone. TB is only averaging 17 pts a game ... they have lots of problems and the oline and OC top the list. Baker does just enough to keep getting jobs.

All in all a nice stat line for anyone forced to start him last night (me).

And oh to imagine what could have been if that last Hail Mary connected.

Sometimes you get lucky in fantasy and the ball definitely bounced Bakers way on that last drive to turn it into a productive night for Baker… mainly due to penalties and lucky bounces… but in the fantasy world, we’ll take what we get.

He keeps playing like that he’s getting an extension. WOW. He was awesome.

Sack/Fumble? Don’t care. Lead a TD drive to answer. Sack? Don’t care. Rip a throw to erase it. Penalty? Don’t care. Erase it. Packers TD? Don’t care. Answer with TD drive.

Dude was absolute nails in that game.

He planted his flag at Lambeau Field didn’t he?

Waiting for him to get an extension and I’ll buy me a Mayfield Tampa jersey 😎

Damar Hamlin and Matthew Stafford currently have higher odds. From a performance perspective though, it’s Baker.

Was Geno last year so not necessarily only injury based.

I don't know what happened in Carolina, but I'm glad for the guy to be able to make the comeback. Evans and Godwin should be able to play a couple more years also, and white. Won't be so undervalued next year though

Same can be said about Baker Mayfield. That’s my point. They’ll wait until the Browns are desperate to get rid of him, knowing the Browns won’t cut him & has no other legitimate suitors.

And FWIW, I’ve heard Carroll actually does like Lock. Maybe he thinks he can fix him, if the Browns aren’t willing to eat that much of his contract.

It’ll be interesting to see it play out.
Seahawks re-signed QB Geno Smith to a one-year contract worth 'around $4 million.'

If Smith hits all his incentives, it could be worth up to $7 million. The Seahawks have been rumored to be looking at the available quarterbacks, but if they don't draft one, they'd enter camp with a three-man battle between Drew Lock, Jacob Eason, and Smith. That's as Down Bad of a depth chart at the most important position in football as we can recall in recent memory. Smith hasn't started more than three games since 2014, but posted a career-best 68.4% completion rate and five touchdowns in said three starts with Seattle last year.

No path for Baker to have a Geno Smith level Comeback Player of the Year season with Dave Canales (former Seattle QB Coach) as the OC? Nobody can see that as a possibility?
You're asking CAN it happen in a game that relies on "is it likely to happen?"

Kurt Warner was bagging Groceries before winning an MVP and Super Bowl MVP. Can the NFL find another grocery bagger that has MVP capabilities? Maybe. Am I going to make Fantasy Football decisions based on Kurt Warner's "exception that proves the rule" status? Absolutely not.

Baker can't stick on a team. Cleveland moved on. Carolina and LA moved on. He's never even broken the 4,000 yard mark. He's never had 30 TD's.

Most guys in this situation don't have a Geno Smith season.

In addition to all of that--they're not claiming Baker is the starter. The Bucs are calling it a competition and having them split reps.

You're saying "There's a chance he becomes Geno Smith." I'm saying "There's a chance he doesn't even start."

And then if he does start and they falter early--there's a 2nd round guy that they're going to want to evaluate in live game situations.
Basically mirrored Geno’s season from last year so far. Probably even a little better with two to go. And likely back to back Comeback Player of the Year awards for QBs under Dave Canales.

Put that on your resume. Talk about a QB Whisperer. Eat your heart out, Bruce Arians.

Moxie. Swagger. Guts. Dude’s entire career was on the line and he delivered.

Feel like the Bucs found their franchise QB off the scrap heap.

Pay him. He earned it.
He's a stop gap, but yes, he'll be better than anything on the FA market or you'll get from a non-top 3 rookie QB.

Pay him. He earned it.
He's a stop gap, but yes, he'll be better than anything on the FA market or you'll get from a non-top 3 rookie QB.
I don’t know? Stop gap for who/what? What more do you want from a franchise QB?

He threw for over 4,000 yards and 28 TDs on a new team in another new offense. 686 yards and 6 TDs in our two playoff games.

A few mistakes and one score away from being in the NFCCG.

He has been amazing.

Add some pass rush. Run it a little better.

The Bucs can win with Baker Mayfield.

Pay him. He earned it.

He threw for over 4,000 yards and 28 TDs on a new team in another new offense. 686 yards and 6 TDs in our two playoff games.

He has been amazing.

100%. Stop gaps with those numbers get signed to be "go" gaps. :)

Pay him. He earned it.

He has been amazing.

I mean, the nfc title game has Brock purdy and Jared Goff in it, of course the Bucs can win with that guy.

Pay him. He earned it.

He has been amazing.

I hope this aspect of his game matures, but one of the easiest bets I made all season was a live one on Baker O 0.5 INT's once Detroit pulled ahead in Q4. There's a lot to like about Baker, which is why I've been sticking up for him (for the most part) since before he got to the league and even after things turned sour in Cleveland. He's got a ceiling though. He's never embraced his limitations, especially in crunch time. I think Tampa should work to retain him, but not marry themselves to him beyond 2.5 years and continue to take swings on a young successor.

Users who are viewing this thread