What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Marcus Mariota, WAS (2 Viewers)

That's a fair write up imo. It's unfortunate that we now won't likely see Mariota up against the Alabama defense. I just hope that Oregon will get to play another top defensive team in a bowl game and that Mariota is healthier for it and more willing to make yards with his legs so we'll get a better test of his wares vs better competition.

With so many NFL and media types covering the game you can bet that their will be more takes on the game and on Mariota's performance.

Here is a different take.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000278097/article/marcus-mariota-gets-another-shot-at-stout-stanford-defense

Oregon QB Marcus Mariota comes up short in loss to Stanford

By Dan Greenspan

College Football 24/7 writer

Published: Nov. 7, 2013 at 08:48 p.m.

Updated: Nov. 8, 2013 at 03:32 a.m

STANFORD, Calif. -- Marcus Mariota has been nothing short of remarkable since taking the starting quarterback position for Oregon as a redshirt freshman last season. The only blemish for Mariota and the Ducks in that span was the 17-14 overtime loss last season to Stanford, as the UO offense was flustered by the Cardinal front seven.

Mariota threw one interception in that game, but has not in the 10 games since, a span of 293 pass attempts.

How is Mariota faring Thursday? Follow along for quarter-by-quarter analysis of the Heisman contender's play live from Stanford Stadium:

First Quarter:

The first quarter for Mariota and the Ducks looked eerily similar to last season's loss, with Stanford's pressure keeping Mariota from setting his feet and throwing the ball with real power. However, Mariota has already made one highlight-reel play, drifting to his right on 3rd-and-8 before throwing across his body to the left and finding Keanon Lowe for a 19-yard reception.

"A lot of guys can make that throw, but not a lot will (risk it)," NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah said. "To me, just him seeing (Lowe) was impressive."

Mariota was 5 of 11 for 57 yards and did not have a single rushing attempt, though he did lose nine yards on a sack. With the pressure Stanford is generating from only three or four pass rushers, Mariota will need to be effective in the quick game for UO to get back on track.

Second Quarter: Mariota did his part, hitting on four of his six pass attempts in the quarter for 58 yards and driving UO into the red zone. But running back De'Anthony Thomas fumbled short of the goal line, and Stanford drove it the other way for a field goal and 17-0 lead going into the locker room.

With the quick-strike nature of the UO offense, this game isn't out of reach by any means. The UO offensive line, however, will have to give Mariota enough time to connect on a deep ball or two. Mariota missed the only long-strike opportunity he had in the first quarter, a play that looms very large right now.

"Feels like he hasn't played in two hours," Jeremiah said of Mariota's second-quarter performance.

Stanford held the ball for 20:53 in the first half, including a whopping 12 minutes in the second quarter.

Third Quarter:

Now that was a disaster of epic proportions. Stanford took a 23-0 lead into the fourth quarter that feels like Georgia Tech's famous 222-0 win over Cumberland, and Mariota hurt his knee while losing a fumble to end another drive in Cardinal territory. Mariota was 3 of 9 for 20 yards in the quarter, but it is hard to say where his culpability rests facing relentless pressure from a defense that sensed blood.

The big question now is how much longer UO head coach Mark Helfrich subjects Mariota to such unyielding abuse?

Fourth Quarter:

It got really interesting at the end. Two late touchdowns, including a Mariota strike to tight end Pharoah Brown on 4th-and-12, put UO in position for an onside kick that would have given the Ducks a chance to take the lead. Instead, Stanford recovered and three runs ended the game.

Ultimately, Mariota didn't do enough in the first three quarters against the suffocating Stanford defense. In Mariota's defense, there may not be a quarterback in college football that could have fared any better if put in the identical position.

===================================================

Tweet from Jeremiah from this morning.

Daniel Jeremiah‏@MoveTheSticks9h

1 point that was brought up to me several x's tonight by GM's & scouts-- Mariota just turned 20. He's going to get a lot better.

Rotoworld:

Draft insider Tony Pauline ranks Oregon redshirt sophomore QB Marcus Mariota as the No. 1 QB in the 2014 class.
Mariota is a "developing signal caller with the necessary skills to become a franchise player," Pauline writes. "Athletic, nimble and strong armed. Can make plays in or out of the pocket with his arm or legs. Comes with tremendous upside potential." It is worth pointing out that Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater ranks as Pauline's No. 2 prospect at the position.

Source: TFY Draft Insider

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks dropped Oregon redshirt sophomore Marcus Mariota from his No. 1 QB to No. 6 following the school's loss against Stanford.

"The dismal performance raised some concerns about the redshirt sophomore's accuracy, ball placement and awareness," Brooks writes. "Although those issues haven't diminished the groundswell of support Mariota enjoys in NFL circles, it will prompt scouts to do a little more digging on his overall game before anointing him the next great thing at the position." Brooks has moved Florida State redshirt freshman Jameis Winston from the No. 3 spot to No. 1.

Source: NFL.com

Rotoworld:

Oregon redshirt sophomore QB Marcus Mariota completed 19 of 26 attempts for 288 yards and three touchdowns in the school's 44-21 win over Utah.
After the game, Mariota was asked why he continues to play with an injured MCL. The redshirt sophomore answered by saying coaches would have to drag him off the field for him not to play. We think Mariota's performance against Stanford was overblown in a negative way. His placement can improve, but his pocket movement and athleticism are there.

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Gil Brandt believes Oregon redshirt sophomore Marcus Mariota is a smaller version of Cam Newton.

Mariota has "more accuracy as a passer than Newton at the same age," Brandt notes. "Many people might say, "Well, yeah, but what about his game against Stanford?" I think he did pretty well in the second half after making adjustments. He's a player I'd pick to build my NFL franchise around." Brandt was the only NFL.com contributor to pick Mariota as the prospect tp build a team around.

Source: NFL.com

Rotoworld:

Oregon redshirt sophomore Marcus Mariota remains Todd McShay's top QB.

"The fact that Mariota has struggled twice now against a Stanford defense that has limited his running ability and put a lot of pressure on him definitely raises questions about his prospect status," McShay writes. We think Mariota's performance against Stanford was overblown in a negative way. He displayed good pocket movement and kept his eyes up, but failed to pull the trigger with receivers in tight coverage.

Source: ESPN

Rotoworld:

Oregon redshirt sophomore QB Marcus Mariota completed 27 of 41 attempts for 308 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions in a 42-16 loss to Arizona.
These were Mariota's first two interceptions of the season. The first occurred on a tip pass, but the second was right to a defensive back. Mariota walked off slowly after the second one and might have had his bell rung. His game has been a bit more one dimensional since news broke that Mariota is dealing with an MCL injury.

Call me a skeptic but I wonder if the "MCL" injury was/is really an injury. Seems to only be mentioned when they lose...............just saying.

Tex

Rotoworld:

Oregon redshirt sophomore QB Marcus Mariota will return to school for the 2014 season.

"It is an honor to be a student at the University of Oregon and to have the opportunity to represent our institution on the football field alongside my teammates," said Mariota. "I look forward to earning my degree next year and to the rest of my career at this great University." This may surprise some, but the NFL buzz had been pointing in this direction for weeks. Mariota is an underrated mover in the pocket, but he could improve his placement next season. Derek Carr of Fresno State could move into the second ranked quarterback spot.

Source: Go Ducks

I knew he would stay. Hopefully they can make a decent run at the championship next season, and he can continue to grow as a QB.

Rotoworld:

Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay believes Oregon redshirt sophomore QB Marcus Mariota will "be so much more of a finished product," after next season.

"He has greatly improved his accuracy this season, gotten bigger and stronger and better with making his correct reads -- but he can improve all of those areas even more with another season at Oregon," McShay writes. Our own Josh Norris is a big fan of Mariota's already, and thinks he doesn't get enough credit for his pocket movement. Mariota won't be 21 until after the draft, but we think prospects are given too much credit for his ability to "only improve" just because of age. However, Mariota could definitely take another step forward next season.

Source: ESPN

Rotoworld:

Oregon redshirt sophomore QB Marcus Mariota will return to school for the 2014 season.

"It is an honor to be a student at the University of Oregon and to have the opportunity to represent our institution on the football field alongside my teammates," said Mariota. "I look forward to earning my degree next year and to the rest of my career at this great University." This may surprise some, but the NFL buzz had been pointing in this direction for weeks. Mariota is an underrated mover in the pocket, but he could improve his placement next season. Derek Carr of Fresno State could move into the second ranked quarterback spot.

Source: Go Ducks
Good move for him.

Hey, remember when this draft was going to be awesome for QB's? :lmao:

Rotoworld:

Oregon redshirt sophomore QB Marcus Mariota made the decision to return to school before receiving a requested evaluation from the NFL Draft Advisory Board.

"Marcus Mariota requested his draft evaluation the day after the Civil War," Oregon staffer Craig Pintens tweeted. "Decision was made regardless of eval." This is really a non-story, as Mariota is returning for the 2014 season. No matter what kind of input he received from the NFL.

Source: Craig Pintens on Twitter
Report suggests Marcus Mariota could reconsider draft decision

Lance Zierlein of Sports Talk 790 in Houston believes Oregon redshirt sophomore QB Marcus Mariota would have been the favorite for the Houston Texans at pick No. 1.

Obviously Mariota will not be entering the draft, but it is a noteworthy statement nonetheless. Teddy Bridgewater and Mariota don't have very many similarities, with the former spending plenty of time under center and displaying great eye level and pocket movement. Mariota is more impressive in the pocket than given credit for, but he has more ball carrying experience and was asked to make quicker reads.

Source: Lance Zierlein on Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmnnn.

Young guy is guaranteed to make millions of dollars playing football but doesn't even consider it.

Many applaud this sort of decision but I don't.

He can get his degree anytime so the argument about 'getting an education' doesn't hold water. The only decision is playing college ball, for-free, or playing pro-ball for cash :moneybag:

Rotoworld:

NFL scouts are still hoping Oregon redshirt sophomore QB Marcus Mariota changes his mind and declares for the draft, according to National Football Post's Len Pasquarelli.
"Mariota said through a university spokesman his stance hasn’t changed, but scouts have not stopped evaluating him, in case he does flip-flop and opt to make himself available in the draft," Pasquarelli writes. We continue to say that too many have the story wrong regarding Mariota requesting an evaluation from the NFL. This was not a new decision, in fact it occurred after Oregon faced Oregon State. While waiting for a response, Mariota decided he would return for the 2014 season. He will not be changing his mind.

Source: National Football Post

Rotoworld:

Oregon redshirt sophomore QB Marcus Mariota completed 18 of 26 attempts for 253 yards and a touchdown in the school's 30-7 win over Texas.

He added 133 rushing yards on 15 attempts. Mariota played without a knee brace after having struggled with a injury for quite some time. He did deal with cramps in this game, but Mariota displayed similar running skills to the NFL's Cam Newton, minus the short yardage power game. He and Jameis Winston will duke it out for the top quarterback spot in the 2015 NFL Draft

I was pretty unimpressed with Mariota yesterday to be honest. Great college QB but I'm not seeing that translation to the NFL right now. Perhaps it's the offense.

What I didn't like;

Way to quick to pull it down and run.

Bellow average pocket awareness.

Never throwing into tight windows.

Bellow average timing on throws.

Accuracy was lacking IMO.

Not progressing through his reads.

Right now he reminds me of Vince Young, not Cam Newton.

Right now, unimpressed. Runs way too much. That won't cut it in the NFL. Needs to go back at try and play QB as if he was in the NFL.

....and what jurb26 just said.

He wears number 8 makes him a perfect fit for the Texans....ugh. I didn't like some of the same things you guys just pointed out as well so for the sake of my sanity and desire to be rid of number 8 I hope he stays....

He wears number 8 makes him a perfect fit for the Texans....ugh. I didn't like some of the same things you guys just pointed out as well so for the sake of my sanity and desire to be rid of number 8 I hope he stays....
Right now, I don't think he has any business being ranked along the likes of Bridgewater or Winston. He absolutely should go back to school next year.

If NFL scouts grade him as a high first round pick right now, going back to school won't help his draft stock much if any going forward.

If he could go to a team where he wasn't pushed to start right away, he could get time to develop ALA Arron Rodgers and turn into a good NFL QB.

If he hears that he would be a high draft selection then it is in his best interest to come out now and it wouldn't suprise me is he does.

Rotoworld:

When asked to rate the QB class of 2014, NFL Films' Greg Cosell called it "average."
Cosell went on to add that, even though he has not fully studied him, Oregon's Marcus Mariota would likely have been considered a true top five pick. "Not a manufactured one," Cosell said. The well respected NFL analyst does have UCF's Blake Bortles as his top prospect at the position, but notes he needs a lot of work in multiple areas. "Size is a big factor."

Source: The Beat of Sports

I don't have the link but I saw he's had a ton of fumbles both years.
What do you make of that? Small hands? Hand size seems to be a focused on number with QBs these days.
Possibly, but I noticed a lot of good QB's had a year in college with high number of fumbles. It could be due to him being young and still learning to play. Definitely something I'm going to keep an eye on this year.

Rotoworld:

The Sideline View's Lance Zierlein has "no doubt" Oregon QB Marcus Mariota would have been the Texans' selection at No. 1 overall had Mariota declared for the 2014 draft.
Zierlein is a well-known media figure in Houston and has plenty of connections. He hinted on Twitter early Tuesday that he expects the Texans to draft Khalil Mack. Mariota is the (extremely) tentative favorite to be selected with the No. 1 pick in the 2015 draft. He is a more disciplined quarterback than Johnny Manziel with superior size (6'4/212), all-around athleticism, and arm strength.

Related: Texans

Source: Lance Zierlein on Twitter

Rotoworld:

An AFC general manager said Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota would have been the best QB in the 2014 draft if he'd declared early.
"He probably needs a year to grow and develop, but he's shown he can throw in an offense that has been successful in the NFL," the general manager said. "His arm strength is good; his release is quick; and he's accurate downfield. On top of all that, he has great feet." Mariota has thrown 63 touchdown passes and just 10 interceptions in two seasons, rushing for 1,467 yards. "At one point late last season, he was thought to be a legitimate challenger to Jadeveon Clowney as the top prospect in this year's class," wrote ESPN's Jeffri Chadiha. ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay said Mariota "is the kind of player who eats, drinks and sleeps football. I think he's better than [san Francisco's] Colin Kaepernick was at this point in his career." McShay added: "With Mariota, you're not taking a risk on talent because he has so much potential. You're taking a risk on whether he can develop."

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah notes six of Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota's 31 passing touchdowns in 2013 were thrown to targets behind the line of scrimmage.
Jeremiah was surprised by how often Mariota was able to reach his second and third reads when working through progressions. We consistently noted last year that Mariota did not receive enough acclaim for his work in the pocket. He shows poise and patience. Hopefully Mariota's accuracy and placement have improved this season. He is the odds on favorite to be the first quarterback off the board in 2015.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

Bill Straehl · Top Commenter · Florida State University

A bit confused here. I understand the 2 years of eligibility left, but if you have already graduated, you are not a junior. You're a graduate student with 2 years of football eligibility left.

Reply · Like · Follow Post · 8 hours ago

Ray Benitez · Top Commenter · New Orleans, Louisiana

You are looking at it from an academic perspective, strange for an FSU fan.

Reply · Like · 7 hours ago
:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread