What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Raiders vs. Cowboys Preseason Week 1 (1 Viewer)

Arnold. S

Footballguy
I haven't seen one so I'm starting one.

Chaz Schilens 4 (?) targets on the first drive with 3 receptions, 27 yds

I'm picking him up

Felix Jones looks healthy and awfully quick. I don't think any of the Cowboy running backs are worth picking up at this point, except possibly late. There's just no way of knowing which of the three will get the carries.

For Oakland: Chaz getting the looks.

For Dallas:

MB3 ran hard, Felix elusive, and the Bennett catch was on a set play on 2TE set. He came in for the one play, then out.

For Dallas:

MB3 ran hard, Felix elusive, and the Bennett catch was on a set play on 2TE set. He came in for the one play, then out.
I'm not sure how much they want to show of him just yet.ETA: And just as I say it, there's another target to Bennett.

Last edited by a moderator:

For Dallas:

I'm not sure how much they want to show of him just yet.
Just pointing out that the Cowboys brought in MBennett for one play, designed to go to him, then took him out. It was definitely a look-see of the future.

nice burst by Dmac right there, I hope he proves my initial assessment of him wrong, since I drafted him this year :doh:

Anyone watching??? Was the missed hook up between Russell and DBH a bad ball, drop or good coverage.
It was a bad throw but IMO DBH didn't make a big effort to fight the CB for it either. I was not impressed by either of these guys tonight. Both McFadden and Bush looked good.

For those not watching, JMR is locking onto Schilens. He is getting open, too.
I know he is a big target...who can you compare him to? Is he quick out of breaks/off LOS, hands catcher, good YAC? Never have seen him play before.
Tonight was my first look at him- he made two nice catches. One where the ball was high and behind him and he had to jump and reach back to pull it in looked like he might have juggled it a bit). The other was a very short pass at his laces that he went down and got and rolled on the ground (got a first down as the CB was slow to tag him down and he got up and ran). Def has the look and build of an NLF receiver- and on both those plays he had clear separation from the defender.

Anyone watching??? Was the missed hook up between Russell and DBH a bad ball, drop or good coverage.
It was a bad throw but IMO DBH didn't make a big effort to fight the CB for it either. I was not impressed by either of these guys tonight. Both McFadden and Bush looked good.
I thought Russell did ok--better than I expected, at least. But I agree regarding DHB. Double coverage or not, he didn't fight for the ball, or even seem to track it very well.

I thought Russell did ok--better than I expected, at least. But I agree regarding DHB. Double coverage or not, he didn't fight for the ball, or even seem to track it very well.
If you guys are talking about the play I think you are that ball was out of bounds and was uncatchable. I didn't notice a tracking problem for DHB, just a quick realization that it was oob.

I know he is a big target...who can you compare him to? Is he quick out of breaks/off LOS, hands catcher, good YAC? Never have seen him play before.
Just the newest in a long line of last round Al Davis drafted athlete conversion to WR. As strong and fast as the WRs picked in day 1, but lacking the position experience or college resume of a top WR prospect. Bigger, but not as agile as Ronald Curry (a simuliar Al pick) was. Obviously he's developing well, but he's going to have to be the possession guy considering the competition. Its probably too soon to expect him to be polished enough to have much fantasy impact. Dallas still needs a star cornerback.

Felix Jones looks healthy and awfully quick. I don't think any of the Cowboy running backs are worth picking up at this point, except possibly late. There's just no way of knowing which of the three will get the carries.
you have to go with the barbarian...out of the three provided you are not paying too much. he is a starter and will get the touches....t.choice could be a td volture. beware.

replay at 1 am pst on channel 5 in los angeles. KTLA. I will watch and drop some info.

you have to go with the barbarian...out of the three provided you are not paying too much. he is a starter and will get the touches....t.choice could be a td volture. beware.
I think Felix will be the easy choice here. It's just a matter of how late you can get him.I think Felix is going to be what everybody wanted Reggie Bush to be.

Mcfadden looked FAST there.wow.
Good lord, McFadden would be just a fantasy beast if he weren't bogged down in that Raider RBBC.He has that rare look of a player that every time he touches the ball, it looks like he could take it to the house. Just so quick, fast, AND powerful.Sigh.

Caught some of this game on the local replay. Dallas benched its starters early. Quick impressions:

Felix Jones - Only played a few snaps, but looked great. Cuts on a dime and gets moving in a hurry. I think he has the potential to take a big step forward this year. Marion Barber will continue to vulture much of the goal line work, but Felix is much more explosive.

Chaz Schilens - Not flashy, but provides a reliable target for the QB. I would compare him to a poor man's Vincent Jackson. He can scrape together a decent season because he appears to be the most dependable WR on the roster. I don't think he has a very high ceiling though. He's not a dynamic athlete. Speaking of which...

Darrius Heyward-Bey - Looked very fast. He comes off the line like a bolt of lightning. It remains to be seen if he can become a productive WR for this team, but you can see why they picked him. Did miss one possibly catchable deep ball where he was well covered (he maybe could've gone up and grabbed it, but he didn't jump for it and the DBs knocked it away).

Martellus Bennett - Caught one short pass, ragdolled a DB, and picked up 5-6 yards after the catch. Looks big and fast.

Darren McFadden - I missed his long run, but caught a few of his other plays. He has very good speed and he'll punish you if you give him a crease. I still wonder if he can do the dirty work to be a full time back. He definitely provides a jolt of excitement though. A better version of Jerious Norwood?

I didn't watch the second half, so I don't have anything to say about the lesser players.

I only saw the highlights for this game, but still came away very impressed with McFadden. He looked extremely explosive on all his runs (should kill any remaining fears of the toe injuries IMO), he ran with good vision and most impressive he had a great blitz pick up on a passing play.

I watched the first half and came away impressed with many of the Oakland players. JeMarcus Russell looked real good to me, I wasn't expecting it either, his short and intermediate passes were right on the money, made a nice throw on the run. He has a cannon for an arm but needs to work on his accuracy throwing deep, at least the Raiders did get a 48 yard penalty out of one of the bombs. Shillens looked like a terrific possession receiver. DHB looked ok, a work in progress with potential, he did have another reception taken away by a penalty which won't show up in the box score. McFadden looks completely healthy, if the Raiders use him enough he could be a great pick this season. Bush looked solid, a nice RB to take 10-12 carries a game. Fargas looked like he always does, runs into the defense at the line and falls forward for a measley yard, I have no clue why he isn't 3rd on the depth chart behind McFadden/Bush.

UnknownCoach said:
King of the Jungle said:
Jeff Tefertiller said:
Just the newest in a long line of last round Al Davis drafted athlete conversion to WR. As strong and fast as the WRs picked in day 1, but lacking the position experience or college resume of a top WR prospect. Bigger, but not as agile as Ronald Curry (a simuliar Al pick) was. Obviously he's developing well, but he's going to have to be the possession guy considering the competition. Its probably too soon to expect him to be polished enough to have much fantasy impact. Dallas still needs a star cornerback.
Agree with the scouting report on Schilens, but the projection is way off base, IMO. This kid is already headed for good production this season, could end up leading the Raiders in receptions at over 60 balls. Schilens runs very good routes, don't know where you are getting the lack of polish stance, and with his size, not even the upper-tier corners will be able to shut him down. Yes, the kid will be the possession WR for the team most likely, but he also can get downfield, meaning, he is the "go-to" WR, not simply the possession WR. I've had him rostered almost a year in several leagues, and own him in 9 of 10 dynasties. I have been tracking his progress all throughout this time. A nice breakout in '09 is almost a LOCK....

UnknownCoach said:
King of the Jungle said:
Jeff Tefertiller said:
Agree with the scouting report on Schilens, but the projection is way off base, IMO. This kid is already headed for good production this season, could end up leading the Raiders in receptions at over 60 balls. Schilens runs very good routes, don't know where you are getting the lack of polish stance, and with his size, not even the upper-tier corners will be able to shut him down. Yes, the kid will be the possession WR for the team most likely, but he also can get downfield, meaning, he is the "go-to" WR, not simply the possession WR. I've had him rostered almost a year in several leagues, and own him in 9 of 10 dynasties. I have been tracking his progress all throughout this time. A nice breakout in '09 is almost a LOCK....
:thumbup: He is a guy that was not hard for locals or Raiders fans to get, and if he isn't owned, he should be. If the guy who has him IS a Raiders fan, good luck getting him.

Roy Williams played a couple of series. The first one was a 3&out where Dallas was backed up inside its 10 from a penalty on the kickoff. The 2nd series, Dallas scored a TD. Roy made a couple of catches. One a sideline comeback/out. And the other a hook or deep in. He also drew a defensive holding penalty on another play.

Bottom line on Roy is that he looked good. Looked involved. He was a significant component to their TD drive. He, and the other offensive starters, took the night off after the TD.

One thing to keep in mind about the Raiders' offensive performance is that Dallas did not play its top 2 corners. Not saying that Russell and the receivers didn't look good. But just be aware that the starting CBs did not dress.

EBF said:
Chaz Schilens - Not flashy, but provides a reliable target for the QB. I would compare him to a poor man's Vincent Jackson. He can scrape together a decent season because he appears to be the most dependable WR on the roster. I don't think he has a very high ceiling though. He's not a dynamic athlete. Speaking of which...
Not dynamic? He has jump-and-catch written all over him at 6'4/220. His measurables and athleticism were great coming out of college, including a 4.38 40 at his pro day and 43" vertical, plus a 10'4" broad jump, a 4.25 shuttle, and a 6.84 three-cone drill. His numbers are strangely similar to Calvin Johnson, which garnered some press. Yes, numbers are just numbers, but saying Schilens isn't dynamic seems really peculiar. As a reminder, he didn't start playing football until his junior year of high school, but still found himself at a decent college program. His biggest problem was a history of injury (stress fracture in foot, ankle), which caused a lack of production at San Diego State. This is also what held him back last year, as he finished the season strong but had been battling foot injuries. That's the only thing holding him back.

EBF said:
Not dynamic? He has jump-and-catch written all over him at 6'4/220. His measurables and athleticism were great coming out of college, including a 4.38 40 at his pro day and 43" vertical, plus a 10'4" broad jump, a 4.25 shuttle, and a 6.84 three-cone drill. His numbers are strangely similar to Calvin Johnson, which garnered some press. Yes, numbers are just numbers, but saying Schilens isn't dynamic seems really peculiar. As a reminder, he didn't start playing football until his junior year of high school, but still found himself at a decent college program. His biggest problem was a history of injury (stress fracture in foot, ankle), which caused a lack of production at San Diego State. This is also what held him back last year, as he finished the season strong but had been battling foot injuries. That's the only thing holding him back.
I watched the game last night and saw all of his catches. He looked like a big target with reliable hands. Nothing more. Nothing less. He didn't make any "wow" type plays and I wouldn't expect him to develop into a frontline #1 WR, but he does look like he can be a solid player in the league.

McFadden....yea, a BEAST!! I had to watch that guy rip up my LSU Tigers year after year...I was so glad when he moved on to the NFL :goodposting: If the Raiders will just give the guy a full compliment of touches every week, there's no reason he couldn't be a top-tier RB in the league. He's got everything...speed, power, vision. The NFL is starting to see what the SEC had to deal with a few years back when Felix Jones(Dallas) and McFadden were on the same team(Arkansas)...phenomenal running tandem.

Good to hear J Russell looked pretty good, I think he can be an above average NFL QB if he gets his head screwed on straight and starts working harder. He's got one of the best arms I've ever seen. I saw him make tons of amazing plays with his arm while he was at LSU throwing to Dwayne Bowe, Early Doucet, etc. He could have a pretty good year throwing to Schilens, DHB, and Zach Miller. I didn't see the game..Zach Miller didn't play? I hope he's alright, he's my TE for this year right now.

McFadden....yea, a BEAST!! I had to watch that guy rip up my LSU Tigers year after year...I was so glad when he moved on to the NFL :thumbup: If the Raiders will just give the guy a full compliment of touches every week, there's no reason he couldn't be a top-tier RB in the league. He's got everything...speed, power, vision. The NFL is starting to see what the SEC had to deal with a few years back when Felix Jones(Dallas) and McFadden were on the same team(Arkansas)...phenomenal running tandem. Good to hear J Russell looked pretty good, I think he can be an above average NFL QB if he gets his head screwed on straight and starts working harder. He's got one of the best arms I've ever seen. I saw him make tons of amazing plays with his arm while he was at LSU throwing to Dwayne Bowe, Early Doucet, etc. He could have a pretty good year throwing to Schilens, DHB, and Zach Miller. I didn't see the game..Zach Miller didn't play? I hope he's alright, he's my TE for this year right now.
Miller didn't have any catches(which was surprising since I fully expect him to lead the team in catches) but he played and he was the one who threw the block that sprung McFadden on the 40+ yarder.I would have liked to see more of Higgins at WR, I don't understand why they feel he is a slot guy only.As much as I'd like to be optimistic for the Raiders, what this game shows me is that the Cowboys defense could have some serious issues this year. I still wouldn't be shocked if they finished at the bottom of the NFC East, though at least they didn't look as bad as Washington last night.

i don't know what y'all were watching on that deep ball to dhb. it should have been a pick. it was underthown by at least a couple of steps. the ball never got to dhb for him 'to fight for it' the 2nd one was a HORRIBLE throw. telegraphed, never on target. the long ball to chaz that ended up in a PI call was underthrown as well.

jmr looked ok. not great, not bad. some his throws were slightly off. the above mentioned ones as well as the slant at the goal line to chaz. if he leads him, it's a td. both frye & gradkowski looked pretty good. add garcia to the mix & we're surprisingly deep at qb.

wr's looked pretty good.

te was a non factor.

rb's; dmc looked great. fargus, same old, run as hard as you can into the pile. bush not used enough. rankin, love the kid, looked pretty good. & russell looked tough as well.

o-line played so so. we'll see what it looks like after everyone's healthy.

dline played ok. the de's were better than the dt's/ loved the ellis play in the first series. liked the looks of the back ups, boshetti & shuaghnessy, esp.

lb's played ok. would have liked to see the starters longer. still not sure what's up at mlb.

db's didn't play that well imho. way too many penalties. but again, the starters were out early.

st's looked solid. why do they even bring those poor back up punters & kickers? injury insurance i know, but that's gotta be a lame job. for 6 weeks.

UnknownCoach said:
King of the Jungle said:
Jeff Tefertiller said:
:sleep: He is a guy that was not hard for locals or Raiders fans to get, and if he isn't owned, he should be. If the guy who has him IS a Raiders fan, good luck getting him.
:lmao: :lmao: EXACTLY, MY MAN! Nobody is getting him from me, especially after I've held him for months on end, gotta see what the payoff is now. I acquired him for a bag of peanuts, and if I get WR3 numbers, I'm more than satisfied.....

Skill set wise, I think this guy is a little bit better version of a Marques Colston.....Colston just happens to be on the Saints, his good fortune (fantasy-wise).

EBF said:
I watched the game last night and saw all of his catches. He looked like a big target with reliable hands. Nothing more. Nothing less. He didn't make any "wow" type plays and I wouldn't expect him to develop into a frontline #1 WR, but he does look like he can be a solid player in the league.
Don't sleep on this kid's athleticism, it is top-level as 'Lyon812' illustrated. There aren't many WRs in the league with his combination of size/speed/athleticism. Schilens is much more explosive than a number of highly productive WRs of the past few years.....Guys like Colston, Housh AND Chad, Driver, Ward, Wayne, Bowe, just to name a few.Most people will automatically dismiss Schilens as not being able to produce big-time numbers simply because he is on the Raiders. My expectations aren't for him to be a frontline #1 WR, but with his physical ability, I would not totally rule it out, either. Things have a way of changing fast in the NFL, as JaMarcus goes, so go the Raider WRs. And it's too early to "write off" a guy as talented as JaMarcus. This Raider passing game may surprise a whole lot of folks this season.

EBF said:
looks pretty dynamic to me :thumbup:

Reading some of these responses, you would think I'm crazy for suggesting that Chaz Schilens might have a limited ceiling. News flash: the vast majority of NFL players aren't going to become superstars. I haven't seen anything from Schilens that makes me think he's going to be an exception to the norm. Someone compared his athletic ability to Calvin Johnson. Are you kidding me? They don't belong in the same sentence. That doesn't mean Schilens can't become a productive starter for Oakland. Based on the camp reports and what I saw from him last night, I think he has a chance to be solid this year and maybe beyond.

Oddly enough, the Raiders WR coach was my WR coach in high school. He always valued consistency over upside. Expect Schilens to be a focal point of this passing game in 2009.

EBF said:
Reading some of these responses, you would think I'm crazy for suggesting that Chaz Schilens might have a limited ceiling. News flash: the vast majority of NFL players aren't going to become superstars. I haven't seen anything from Schilens that makes me think he's going to be an exception to the norm. Someone compared his athletic ability to Calvin Johnson. Are you kidding me? They don't belong in the same sentence. That doesn't mean Schilens can't become a productive starter for Oakland. Based on the camp reports and what I saw from him last night, I think he has a chance to be solid this year and maybe beyond. Oddly enough, the Raiders WR coach was my WR coach in high school. He always valued consistency over upside. Expect Schilens to be a focal point of this passing game in 2009.
Good post

EBF said:
Reading some of these responses, you would think I'm crazy for suggesting that Chaz Schilens might have a limited ceiling. News flash: the vast majority of NFL players aren't going to become superstars. I haven't seen anything from Schilens that makes me think he's going to be an exception to the norm. Someone compared his athletic ability to Calvin Johnson. Are you kidding me? They don't belong in the same sentence. That doesn't mean Schilens can't become a productive starter for Oakland. Based on the camp reports and what I saw from him last night, I think he has a chance to be solid this year and maybe beyond. Oddly enough, the Raiders WR coach was my WR coach in high school. He always valued consistency over upside. Expect Schilens to be a focal point of this passing game in 2009.
This is all i care about...According to beat writer David White, Chaz Schilens is the Raiders' No. 1 receiver. "Chaz Schilens is the No. 1 receiver. Period. Don't ask again," says White. He has the eye of JaMarcus Russell and needs to be on all fantasy radars at this point. its fantasy football...i want points from my players...i just grabbed chaz off waivers...if hes the guy in oakland i couldnt care less if hes the next jerry rice or mike williams...as long as he gets the looks

Users who are viewing this thread