What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (2 Viewers)

I just completed my couch potato to 5K program. I ran for 30 minutes on Saturday and on Sunday, my first time doing "long" runs on simultaneous days. Now I have to decide what to do next. I think I'll maintain the 30 minutes, 3 times a week for now, and aim to run an actual 5K race in the next month. We'll see how that goes.
:pickle: ambitious to run 30 back to back for the first time. nicely done. :D
Are there any programs out there to move from the point I'm at now to running a 10K eventually? I have a long way to go for that, but I came a long way in 9 weeks, so we'll see how it goes..
:rolleyes: thinking this as well but not too excited about fartleks

Nice reports RS and DP. Congrats to both of you on your races. My half is just a month from tomorrow and I think I am ready for it. Saturday I did 11 miles in 1:48 and Sunday I ran 7 miles. Today I am biking with the wife, but I will be running Tuesday and Wednesday. My run Saturday made me think that I may be able to beat 2 hours in the half, but it is not something I am going to shoot for. If I can average 10 minute miles I will be thrilled.
Did they bring it forward or did I sleep for a month? :rolleyes:
oops. I meant two months

OK, here is the video just taken.

Hopefully the link will work.

I was running as fast as I could with very little warm up. It looks to me like I am still too upright. I just can't get the leaning part down.

ETA - Heading out for a ride with the wife. I will check back later.
It looks like your lead foot/lower leg is getting ahead of the upper leg (and leg lift), so your front leg actually goes fully straight during the extension (see if you can freeze the frame when you're squared to the camera ...as your right foot is landing just before passing the white parking line). This seems to push your body back to balance the effect. Between the upper body position, then, and the braking that probably occurs with each step, it all slows you down.I believe you need to work on using the upper leg more for a better lift/extension and smoother stride. I'd guess that some of this is addressed in the Chi Running book. One way to focus on this is to do a skipping step (like when we were kids) ...skip and lift the front knee real high, then skip onto the other foot. Or run - almost running in place - lifting the knees high to touch your hands extended in front of you.

Here's a nice picture of a smooth stride:

http://www.chasingkimbia.com/wordpress/wp-...10/img_1961.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, here are my pics from the TC10 in Minneapolis. I really like a couple of them, but the prices make me feel like I'm ordering wedding pictures all over again. $15K for a 5x7?! :yes:
$15K would be a little outrageous for a normal human being, but you're a FBG and you wipe yourself with $1K bills, so I say order all you want!

Those of you studying Chi Running should also be checking out the Pose Method. Check out these videos.

This one first

Then this one

Joe Bryant can tell you more about this one if you're interested. Maybe he'll weigh in here if someone shoots him a PM.
Thanks.I tell you what, this is hard to do on your own.

New VIDEO

This was just taken. I think it looks a little better.
Code:
We're sorry, but this video may not be available.Try refreshing the page to see this video.

Those of you studying Chi Running should also be checking out the Pose Method. Check out these videos.

This one first

Then this one

Joe Bryant can tell you more about this one if you're interested. Maybe he'll weigh in here if someone shoots him a PM.

New VIDEO

Code:
We're sorry, but this video may not be available.Try refreshing the page to see this video.
I had to edit it. Try my original link again.

This one first

Then this one

New VIDEO

I agree - it does look better. How does it feel? Unnatural for now, I'm sure, but does it give some hint of being better for you?

This one first

Then this one

New VIDEO

I agree - it does look better. How does it feel? Unnatural for now, I'm sure, but does it give some hint of being better for you?
It felt fine. Better than the the first one. When I recorded the first one I seemed to forget everything I had been working on. The second video felt the same as almost all of my running in the last week.

whoknew said:
So you ran 3 marathons and 2 halfs in a 9 month span??? :lmao: :bow:
:yes:About 230 others also ran the series, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few ran only one marathon and four halfs (AZ/TN had both, SD was only full, VB/SJ were only halfs). :lmao: If someone managed to run San Diego with Team In Training (SD has a special half turnoff for TNT), they conceivably could have completed the series with FIVE halfs.But yah, I had a midlife crisis and ran three fulls and two halfs. :lol: I couldn't afford a Corvette...or a mistress...so running 400miles ytd it was. :shrug:There was one psycho even more crazed than I was. A friend of a friend, I met him in Virginia Beach. He wasn't satisfied with a half, so he got out there two hours early, ran the course in reverse, then jumped in his corral and ran it again with the rest of us. He did the same thing in San Jose. So, he ran five FULLS on the year. :shock:
Well, thanks for putting my mid-life crisis to shame!!! Very cool accomplishment and I am jealous your body can take such a pounding. I think I'd burst in to flames if I even tried such a thing.

I have a hard time taking this Chi Running stuff seriously. If you run a lot and nothing hurts you are probably doing it right for you. The key words being "for you".

Not everyone is going to run exactly the same way and I do not believe there is one "perfect' style of running that will work for everyone.

When I run, I don't want to have to think about changing my natural style (however ugly that may be).

Now if you're getting pain from running, that's a different story.

:lmao:

Well, thanks for putting my mid-life crisis to shame!!! Very cool accomplishment and I am jealous your body can take such a pounding. I think I'd burst in to flames if I even tried such a thing.
lol Well, it's barely taking the pounding. If you've been following the thread all year, I ran PF Chang's in January with an inflamed I-T Band (outside of the leg, knee to hip). Got it reasonably re-habbed in time to run Nashville and San Diego five weeks apart (April 29, June 3). It's still letting me know it's there after summer and two more halfs. I still have a couple more races in my sights (another half in two weeks, near my house so I may just make that a "fun run", maybe run in costume; then a 5k/10k two weeks later; then PF Chang's again in January), so I will have to wait until mid-January before I can do what's probably the right thing to do and take a couple months off. lolWe'll see how it goes.

Well they finally posted the official 1/2 marathon results...

Official time is 1:59:56 :D

I finished 139th out of 308 overall. They didn't have the male/female breakdown.

Male winner was 1:15 and female winner was 1:34.

:pickle: :lmao: :lmao: :unsure:

SteveUK said:
I have a hard time taking this Chi Running stuff seriously. If you run a lot and nothing hurts you are probably doing it right for you. The key words being "for you".Not everyone is going to run exactly the same way and I do not believe there is one "perfect' style of running that will work for everyone.When I run, I don't want to have to think about changing my natural style (however ugly that may be).Now if you're getting pain from running, that's a different story. :(
:useless: Couldn't have said it better myself. :D

SteveUK said:
I have a hard time taking this Chi Running stuff seriously. If you run a lot and nothing hurts you are probably doing it right for you. The key words being "for you".Not everyone is going to run exactly the same way and I do not believe there is one "perfect' style of running that will work for everyone.When I run, I don't want to have to think about changing my natural style (however ugly that may be).Now if you're getting pain from running, that's a different story. :thumbup:
:thumbup: Couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbup:
:thumbup:

SteveUK said:
I have a hard time taking this Chi Running stuff seriously. If you run a lot and nothing hurts you are probably doing it right for you. The key words being "for you".Not everyone is going to run exactly the same way and I do not believe there is one "perfect' style of running that will work for everyone.When I run, I don't want to have to think about changing my natural style (however ugly that may be).Now if you're getting pain from running, that's a different story. :wall:
:ptts: Couldn't have said it better myself. :wall:
:wall:
I was thinking that as well. I have no idea how my form looks, I run in $40 Nikes....and I don't really have any pain so I figure I must be doing ok. Now if I'm training to run with some Kenyans, then yeah, I can see how having "perfect" form would be helpful.

Went for my first run in a while. I can't remember when my previous run was so I looked in the training log. No running workouts in there so that means the last one was pre June. Things felt funny and weak, but improved towards the end of the 20 minutes. No HRM tracking because I just wanted to be active outside and enjoy the weather.

ETA distance: 2.1 miles.

Went for my first run in a while. I can't remember when my previous run was so I looked in the training log. No running workouts in there so that means the last one was pre June. Things felt funny and weak, but improved towards the end of the 20 minutes. No HRM tracking because I just wanted to be active outside and enjoy the weather.

No running for the last 4+ months? I think I'd die. Seriously. Does this make me an addict? :lmao:

SteveUK said:
I have a hard time taking this Chi Running stuff seriously. If you run a lot and nothing hurts you are probably doing it right for you. The key words being "for you".Not everyone is going to run exactly the same way and I do not believe there is one "perfect' style of running that will work for everyone.When I run, I don't want to have to think about changing my natural style (however ugly that may be).Now if you're getting pain from running, that's a different story. :2cents:
:thumbup: Couldn't have said it better myself. :lmao:
:lmao:
I was thinking that as well. I have no idea how my form looks, I run in $40 Nikes....and I don't really have any pain so I figure I must be doing ok. Now if I'm training to run with some Kenyans, then yeah, I can see how having "perfect" form would be helpful.
This is right to a point. I ran for more than twenty years with zero pain or injuries, but they've come fast and furious over the past four years. Had I originally learned better form, I probably wouldn't be nearly as messed up as I am today. The whole if it ain't broke don't fix it, might be a bit naive. Learning good form from the get go should have much better effects on our bodies as we age. I want to be the 75 year old guy that has everyone cheering for him when I cross the finish line at Boston and/or at the Hawaii IM. Running poorly over-time will most likely catch-up to most people. My .02.

SteveUK said:
I have a hard time taking this Chi Running stuff seriously. If you run a lot and nothing hurts you are probably doing it right for you. The key words being "for you".Not everyone is going to run exactly the same way and I do not believe there is one "perfect' style of running that will work for everyone.When I run, I don't want to have to think about changing my natural style (however ugly that may be).Now if you're getting pain from running, that's a different story. :unsure:
:wall: Couldn't have said it better myself. :wall:
:wall:
This is right to a point. I ran for more than twenty years with zero pain or injuries, but they've come fast and furious over the past four years. Had I originally learned better form, I probably wouldn't be nearly as messed up as I am today. The whole if it ain't broke don't fix it, might be a bit naive. Learning good form from the get go should have much better effects on our bodies as we age. I want to be the 75 year old guy that has everyone cheering for him when I cross the finish line at Boston and/or at the Hawaii IM. Running poorly over-time will most likely catch-up to most people. My .02.
I tend to agree with the Pig.Your body is going to feel comfortable running how it's used to- because that's what it's used to, not necessarily what's best for it long term. As somebody who's body has been breaking down with more frequency over the last couple of years while training for the longer events, I'm a firm believer that form plays a significant role in long term health.

I tend to agree with the Pig.

Your body is going to feel comfortable running how it's used to- because that's what it's used to, not necessarily what's best for it long term. As somebody who's body has been breaking down with more frequency over the last couple of years while training for the longer events, I'm a firm believer that form plays a significant role in long term health.
Ah, you guys are just OLD! ;)

Your body is going to feel comfortable running how it's used to- because that's what it's used to, not necessarily what's best for it long term. As somebody who's body has been breaking down with more frequency over the last couple of years while training for the longer events, I'm a firm believer that form plays a significant role in long term health.
Ah, you guys are just OLD! :lmao:
Yeah, I'm all :fishing: for both of 'em. Man, when I was a young runner ....

gruecd said:
tri-man 47 said:
Yeah, I'm all :thumbup: for both of 'em. Man, when I was a young runner ....
You all ready for Des Moines? Be sure to catch Jeff Galloway while you're there; he'll teach you how to run until you're 100--injury free!
Yes - definitely ready! I can't wait to get out there and race. I can't get to Des Moines until about 5-5:30 pm on Saturday, so I'll miss Galloway (and have to be careful to stretch after the four-hour drive from Chicago's SW suburbs, where I'll be in a conference until noon). I'll check out the expo and get my gear, then join my daughter for dinner.Goal #1 is to keep floppo healthy; #2 is to run a steady, injury-free race; #3 is to be under 3:40; and #4 is to achieve the 3:36 BQ time. Weather should be fine - forecast is a low of 50, high of 66.

I just completed my couch potato to 5K program. I ran for 30 minutes on Saturday and on Sunday, my first time doing "long" runs on simultaneous days. Now I have to decide what to do next. I think I'll maintain the 30 minutes, 3 times a week for now, and aim to run an actual 5K race in the next month. We'll see how that goes.

Are there any programs out there to move from the point I'm at now to running a 10K eventually? I have a long way to go for that, but I came a long way in 9 weeks, so we'll see how it goes..
Try this 8-week training plan from Hal Higdon.
That is the plan I used. I highly recomend it. Best of luck.

No running for the last 4+ months? I think I'd die. Seriously. Does this make me an addict? :popcorn:
No, building an Excel spreadsheet to tabulate different mile splits to see if they'll lead to a certain goal time makes you an addict, IMO. :bag: :thumbup: I must be stopped, I sat down, built a spreadsheet for 13.1 separate mile splits and for giggles plugged in different combos between 8:30 & 9:30 and every 10 seconds in between. Does the term Running Nurosis exist? If not, I think I am a walking poster child for its discovery. I am going to lose my mind before Sunday. To boot, I am traveling all week. I'm in Lafayette, IN Tonight, Indy tomorrow night & Hammond Thursday. I'll miss the expo for the race on Friday, but were taking the kids down Saturday as they have a kids expo at packet pick up, etc.

Dash said:
DolphinsPhan said:
Well they finally posted the official 1/2 marathon results...

Official time is 1:59:56 :own3d:

I finished 139th out of 308 overall. They didn't have the male/female breakdown.

Male winner was 1:15 and female winner was 1:34.

:popcorn: :bag: :thumbup: :)
Sweet!
Sweet, Indeed. It has to be fun talking up doing a SUB 2 hour half.

Popped over to my email after posting the two message above and found this there:

Congratulations!

Your "Letter to the Editor" has been selected to run in our DECEMBER issue. Please send me your mailing address and shirt size, and we'll send you a Runner's World T-shirt!

Thank you,

Lori Adams

Assistant Editor

Runner's World Magazine

Call me a :shrug: again, but I am dang excited about this!

BTW, this was in reply to the Alberto Salazar heart attack article. As a guy that comes from a family with a nasty history of heart disease I really and truly appreciated the comment he allowed from his Doctor.

No running for the last 4+ months? I think I'd die. Seriously. Does this make me an addict? :goodposting:
No, building an Excel spreadsheet to tabulate different mile splits to see if they'll lead to a certain goal time makes you an addict, IMO. :bag: :nerd: I must be stopped, I sat down, built a spreadsheet for 13.1 separate mile splits and for giggles plugged in different combos between 8:30 & 9:30 and every 10 seconds in between. Does the term Running Nurosis exist? If not, I think I am a walking poster child for its discovery. I am going to lose my mind before Sunday. To boot, I am traveling all week. I'm in Lafayette, IN Tonight, Indy tomorrow night & Hammond Thursday. I'll miss the expo for the race on Friday, but were taking the kids down Saturday as they have a kids expo at packet pick up, etc.
Hey, Lafayette is my home town. Say hi to mom and dad for me please.

Steve and I just ran 5.8 miles in 52:06, an 8:59 pace. Ok, Steve beat me by a few seconds because he can sprint faster at the end than I can. The main thing is that the pace was faster than the 10K race I ran on July 1, and to be honest, I did not run as hard as I would in a race. I don't know if it is because I have been working on my form, or because it is cooler out. Maybe a little bit of both.

Popped over to my email after posting the two message above and found this there:Congratulations! Your "Letter to the Editor" has been selected to run in our DECEMBER issue. Please send me your mailing address and shirt size, and we'll send you a Runner's World T-shirt! Thank you, Lori Adams Assistant EditorRunner's World Magazine Call me a :shrug: again, but I am dang excited about this!BTW, this was in reply to the Alberto Salazar heart attack article. As a guy that comes from a family with a nasty history of heart disease I really and truly appreciated the comment he allowed from his Doctor.
That's VERY cool. Congrats.:subscribingtoRunnersWorld:

gruecd said:
tri-man 47 said:
Yeah, I'm all :lmao: for both of 'em. Man, when I was a young runner ....
You all ready for Des Moines? Be sure to catch Jeff Galloway while you're there; he'll teach you how to run until you're 100--injury free!
Yes - definitely ready! I can't wait to get out there and race. I can't get to Des Moines until about 5-5:30 pm on Saturday, so I'll miss Galloway (and have to be careful to stretch after the four-hour drive from Chicago's SW suburbs, where I'll be in a conference until noon). I'll check out the expo and get my gear, then join my daughter for dinner.Goal #1 is to keep floppo healthy; #2 is to run a steady, injury-free race; #3 is to be under 3:40; and #4 is to achieve the 3:36 BQ time. Weather should be fine - forecast is a low of 50, high of 66.
:deadhorse: :potkettle: I was originally going to post something about getting older, but then I remembered you and your ancient, but healthy rump.

Saw my PT who did some ART and massage. He's a TNT marathon coach, former tri-teammate and is also running NYC (shooting for a sub 3) and recommended taking it easy until race-day, maybe a 10-12m this weekend after a couple of easy runs this week and then taper.

Began my regimen of anti-inflammatories yesterday- Diclofenac Sodium? Anybody ever used this? Started me off with some serious off-gassing.

2Young - go ahead and plan your heart out. Detail your spreadsheets, talk it over endlessly with anyone that will listen. Take full advantage of the expo.

Then when the gun goes off, set it all aside and run. Just run. Listen to your body's rhythm that day - keep alert to your pace - be aware of the runners around you - feed off of the crowd. But as the samurai's son says to Tom Cruise in The Last Samurai: "No mind." Let yourself go and be in the moment. You're going to do great!

Steve and I just ran 5.8 miles in 52:06, an 8:59 pace. Ok, Steve beat me by a few seconds because he can sprint faster at the end than I can. The main thing is that the pace was faster than the 10K race I ran on July 1, and to be honest, I did not run as hard as I would in a race. I don't know if it is because I have been working on my form, or because it is cooler out. Maybe a little bit of both.
So do you or Steve happen to recall your original thought about GStrot's goal at the start of this thread - a 10K in under an hour? Could you have imagined yourself writing the above?

Ah, you guys are just OLD! :thumbup:
Nah, I get what you guys are saying. I think my form is decent, I don't think I over or under pronate and need shoes to compensate, etc. I turn 35 on Saturday, I'm sure body parts will start falling off me at a rapid pace from here on out.Did my normal Embarcadero 5K today at lunch. Didn't feel very good first half, which isn't that unusual, and it was raining which was pissing me off. But the 2nd half I mixed in four one-minute speed sessions, probably running around 85%-90% of maximum, with 2 minutes of slow jogging in between. That was pretty tough, but sure livened up what's becoming an "old hat" kind of run for me. I haven't really bothered figuring out a proper training plan or speed work session yet, which I will do. I really just wanted to start working on what y'all said I needed to do to get faster which was, of course, run faster.

Hey guys. I am going to start up mid next week and go for 3-5-3 and then 3-5-10 over the winter with no real goals in mind. Is there a site that has races on it. I want to do a couple 10k's to keep me motivated. Thanks and great work!

2Young - go ahead and plan your heart out. Detail your spreadsheets, talk it over endlessly with anyone that will listen. Take full advantage of the expo.Then when the gun goes off, set it all aside and run. Just run. Listen to your body's rhythm that day - keep alert to your pace - be aware of the runners around you - feed off of the crowd. But as the samurai's son says to Tom Cruise in The Last Samurai: "No mind." Let yourself go and be in the moment. You're going to do great!
I suppose I should add, I am enjoying every moment of every run and race I have had this year. I have beat every goal I have set for myself and think I have spent more time with my wife than any time in our 17 years together as we have gotten after this together (she is a bit nuts about this running thing too, but hers goes towards the "what is a gust of wind blows me and the other runners off of the Ambassador Bridge"). For me, my new attack on running is like everything else I do. I am most happy with an occupied mind. I want nothing more for Sunday than to finish running, see the sun come up on the Detroit River and remember to look up at the finish. But, occupying my mind every step of the way has appeared to work for me and has me prepared for some of those other sub goals, like finishing in 2 hours & 10 minutes or less, with a stretch goal to go sub 2. I think I'd be cheating myself without the preapration and cheating my kids too. I like to think the best of lesson I've taught them, is that anything worth going after is worth giving your best. Maybe I'll become a freer spirit down the road.

RustyFA said:
Hey guys. I am going to start up mid next week and go for 3-5-3 and then 3-5-10 over the winter with no real goals in mind. Is there a site that has races on it. I want to do a couple 10k's to keep me motivated. Thanks and great work!
You can go to Runners World and do a race search by state and/or distance. Pretty cool race finder tool.

tri-man 47 said:
So do you or Steve happen to recall your original thought about GStrot's goal at the start of this thread - a 10K in under an hour? Could you have imagined yourself writing the above?
When I first saw this thread my thoughts were to also finish my first 10K in under an hour. At the time I was training at about 11 min/mile. I never thought I would run a training run under 9 min/mile. While I have backed off form planning to run a marathon, I am planning to run more than I half, unless something goes horribly wrong in Jacksonville.

RustyFA said:
You can go to Runners World and do a race search by state and/or distance. Pretty cool race finder tool.
You should also use active.com to find races.

2Young - go ahead and plan your heart out. Detail your spreadsheets, talk it over endlessly with anyone that will listen. Take full advantage of the expo.Then when the gun goes off, set it all aside and run. Just run. Listen to your body's rhythm that day - keep alert to your pace - be aware of the runners around you - feed off of the crowd. But as the samurai's son says to Tom Cruise in The Last Samurai: "No mind." Let yourself go and be in the moment. You're going to do great!
I suppose I should add, I am enjoying every moment of every run and race I have had this year. I have beat every goal I have set for myself and think I have spent more time with my wife than any time in our 17 years together as we have gotten after this together (she is a bit nuts about this running thing too, but hers goes towards the "what is a gust of wind blows me and the other runners off of the Ambassador Bridge"). For me, my new attack on running is like everything else I do. I am most happy with an occupied mind. I want nothing more for Sunday than to finish running, see the sun come up on the Detroit River and remember to look up at the finish. But, occupying my mind every step of the way has appeared to work for me and has me prepared for some of those other sub goals, like finishing in 2 hours & 10 minutes or less, with a stretch goal to go sub 2. I think I'd be cheating myself without the preapration and cheating my kids too. I like to think the best of lesson I've taught them, is that anything worth going after is worth giving your best. Maybe I'll become a freer spirit down the road.
That's cool. You've got an interesting course for the race - I'll be quite interested to hear about it (bridges, tunnels, sunrises, etc.).

Yeah, I'm all :popcorn: for both of 'em. Man, when I was a young runner ....
Go make us proud Tri-Man!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm extremely jealous, but also living vicariously through you. Great to hear that your daughter will be there for you. Have a blast!Is El Floppo running as well? If so, I'm even more jealous! You can't beat old guys running (spoken by an old man!).

I'll be riding in a 100k event this weekend, but would much rather be running. My race will be a joy ride, as I'm going w/ a friend who rides pretty darn slow, and we anticipate making a few stops along the way (my guess is that we'll have at least one beer; preferably near the end).

Users who are viewing this thread