What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (3 Viewers)

The threat of rain was going to keep me from riding outside today, but I decided to risk it and headed down to Belle Isle, which is a City of Detroit park contained on an island in the middle of the Detroit River, about 5.5 miles around. Winds were wicked, which meant I got to struggle one direction and hammer the other. Gamin data had me doing 38.30 miles at an average speed of 21.0 MPH (which surprised the heck out of me). I thought I'd kept it close to 20, but t was hard to tell with the wind. I had thoughts of continuing to get to the HIM ride distance, but the improving weather flooded the island with cars cruising around and I was getting too scary to ride. I had the feeling I was moments away from having a 40 ouncer checked at my noggin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Running a 10K in the morning with a few friends. Haven't been training all that hard and haven't run beyond 4 miles in about 2 weeks.Forecast calls for wind and rain. Getting up at 5:15 am to run in bad weather for a race I'm not prepared to run.Perfect!
Well, I ended up running a decent race. Went out a little too fast (7:25 / 7:30 for first 2 miles), settled down and finished at 49:32 (7:59). My goal was to run under 50, which based on my training, I wasn't sure I would do.Muggy, foggy day to start, and we got rained on through about half of the race. But I rode up with 4 other guys from my church and managed to beat 3 of them so that was fun. :thumbup:

The threat of rain was going to keep me from riding outside today, but I decided to risk it and headed down to Belle Isle, which is a City of Detroit park contained on an island in the middle of the Detroit River, about 5.5 miles around. Winds were wicked, which meant I got to struggle one direction and hammer the other. Gamin data had me doing 38.30 miles at an average speed of 21.0 MPH (which surprised the heck out of me). I thought I'd kept it close to 20, but t was hard to tell with the wind. I had thoughts of continuing to get to the HIM ride distance, but the improving weather flooded the island with cars cruising around and I was getting too scary to ride. I had the feeling I was moments away from having a 40 ouncer checked at my noggin.
OH ####! What I didn't realize is that even with cloud cover, the sun was STRONG today and I am sunburned as hell. I stayed locked in aero all but about 5 minutes of the ride to take water and had a tri singlet on, so my shoulders are toast. My kids can't stop laughing at the shape of the burn, and I am going to be a laughing stock at swimming on Monday. :doh:

2Young2BBald said:
2Young2BBald said:
OH ####! What I didn't realize is that even with cloud cover, the sun was STRONG today and I am sunburned as hell. I stayed locked in aero all but about 5 minutes of the ride to take water and had a tri singlet on, so my shoulders are toast. My kids can't stop laughing at the shape of the burn, and I am going to be a laughing stock at swimming on Monday. :popcorn:
:lmao:

2Bad, 2Young!

Very solid couple of training days for me. Swam for 60 minutes yesterday, and just went straight distance throughout. Wasn't specifically watching time, but noticed late laps still coming in at or under a minute, so I wasn't really tiring and did at least 3,000 yards. Biked for 4 hours today. Overall, had 3:48 of ride time, and covered 68.5 miles at an average speed of 18.0 mph. Given that the first and last half hours were in city traffic and I had several other cross streets, that's all good. I was riding strong even toward the end. Nice, nice.

2Young2BBald said:
2Young2BBald said:
OH ####! What I didn't realize is that even with cloud cover, the sun was STRONG today and I am sunburned as hell. I stayed locked in aero all but about 5 minutes of the ride to take water and had a tri singlet on, so my shoulders are toast. My kids can't stop laughing at the shape of the burn, and I am going to be a laughing stock at swimming on Monday. :hifive:
:wall:

2Young2BBald said:
2Young2BBald said:
OH ####! What I didn't realize is that even with cloud cover, the sun was STRONG today and I am sunburned as hell. I stayed locked in aero all but about 5 minutes of the ride to take water and had a tri singlet on, so my shoulders are toast. My kids can't stop laughing at the shape of the burn, and I am going to be a laughing stock at swimming on Monday. :doh:
:confused:
My son must be a FBG in training. He thought it was so funny, he wanted a shot on his phone & sent it to me last night just to make fun of me again. Not to be one to shy away from other having a laugh at my expense, here you go. It gets worse, the tops of my arms and thumbs are burnt, but not the underside as they were setting in the areobars. AND, I wore the 2XU compression sleeves, so there is a red ring around the knees. Finally, there are splotches of red on my bald noggin where the sun hit my head through the helmet vents. :bag:

Anyone have a PMB update? The marathon is 2-hours old, but I can't find splits by his bib #. I didn't sign up for the email updates and just tried, but you need a name & not a bib #. :confused:

eta, Found'em, 2:33:59 through 19.7 miles. Local news coverage shows HORRIBLE conditions for a run.

Anyone have a PMB update? The marathon is 2-hours old, but I can't find splits by his bib #. I didn't sign up for the email updates and just tried, but you need a name & not a bib #. :thumbup:eta, Found'em, 2:33:59 through 19.7 miles. Local news coverage shows HORRIBLE conditions for a run.
Yeah, I got the same text alert. Shows an expected finish at 9:57 AM, which would be a ridiculously good time (3:27 or so) considering the conditions. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Anyone have a PMB update? The marathon is 2-hours old, but I can't find splits by his bib #. I didn't sign up for the email updates and just tried, but you need a name & not a bib #. :thumbup:eta, Found'em, 2:33:59 through 19.7 miles. Local news coverage shows HORRIBLE conditions for a run.
Yeah, I got the same text alert. Shows an expected finish at 9:57 AM, which would be a ridiculously good time (3:27 or so) considering the conditions. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Seeing a net time of 3:33:35. Absolutely kick ### based on the weather. :thumbup: PMB!

hey guys. Thanks for keeping track today. It was miserable, but I did try and stay with the 3:10 group. Just could not do it. I will explain more tomorrow, but they burned at a 6:45 clip from miles 2-5 and the hills kicked in and I was destroyed. Still managed to pull PR by 10 minutes so not a wash (although I am still drying out). The rain was awful at the start. Probably could have used a boat and swimmies to help me out in some of the rougher parts. Just coming down in buckets and even the garbage bag did not work. I pushed through and did well though. I am happy with it. I live to run another day. No injuries that I feel yet. Tomorrow tells the tale though. Cudose to my wife and mom who braved the rain and cheered me on. Big pick me ups along the way.

See you all tomorrow.

Seeing a net time of 3:33:35. Absolutely kick ### based on the weather. :thumbup: PMB!
Great job, PMB!!!! Congrats on the PR!!! :thumbup: :headbang: :pickle: :clap:
It was miserable, but I did try and stay with the 3:10 group. Just could not do it. I will explain more tomorrow, but they burned at a 6:45 clip from miles 2-5 and the hills kicked in and I was destroyed.
Did they tell you ahead of time that they were planning on banking time, or were they just ####ty pacers? I'm guessing it was the latter. If so, :goodposting: .P.S. It's "kudos." ;)

hey guys. Thanks for keeping track today. It was miserable, but I did try and stay with the 3:10 group. Just could not do it. I will explain more tomorrow, but they burned at a 6:45 clip from miles 2-5 and the hills kicked in and I was destroyed. Still managed to pull PR by 10 minutes so not a wash (although I am still drying out). The rain was awful at the start. Probably could have used a boat and swimmies to help me out in some of the rougher parts. Just coming down in buckets and even the garbage bag did not work. I pushed through and did well though. I am happy with it. I live to run another day. No injuries that I feel yet. Tomorrow tells the tale though. Cudose to my wife and mom who braved the rain and cheered me on. Big pick me ups along the way.

See you all tomorrow.
;) :bow: Way to go, pmb! Great effort on a wet, wet day.

---

I got in 14 miles today, with 5 x 2 mile repeats (at 7:40/mi - 1/2-marathon PR pace). Felt good. No rain. :rant:

hey guys. Thanks for keeping track today. It was miserable, but I did try and stay with the 3:10 group. Just could not do it. I will explain more tomorrow, but they burned at a 6:45 clip from miles 2-5 and the hills kicked in and I was destroyed. Still managed to pull PR by 10 minutes so not a wash (although I am still drying out). The rain was awful at the start. Probably could have used a boat and swimmies to help me out in some of the rougher parts. Just coming down in buckets and even the garbage bag did not work. I pushed through and did well though. I am happy with it. I live to run another day. No injuries that I feel yet. Tomorrow tells the tale though. Cudose to my wife and mom who braved the rain and cheered me on. Big pick me ups along the way.See you all tomorrow.
Congratulations!! Great job regardless of the conditions!!

See you all tomorrow.
Congrats again on the PR and a great race pmb. :thumbup: Heres to hoping you aren't too sore tomorrow morning.

hey guys. Thanks for keeping track today. It was miserable, but I did try and stay with the 3:10 group. Just could not do it. I will explain more tomorrow, but they burned at a 6:45 clip from miles 2-5 and the hills kicked in and I was destroyed. Still managed to pull PR by 10 minutes so not a wash (although I am still drying out). The rain was awful at the start. Probably could have used a boat and swimmies to help me out in some of the rougher parts. Just coming down in buckets and even the garbage bag did not work. I pushed through and did well though. I am happy with it. I live to run another day. No injuries that I feel yet. Tomorrow tells the tale though. Cudose to my wife and mom who braved the rain and cheered me on. Big pick me ups along the way.See you all tomorrow.
Congrats on the PR.

6:45s? Nothing like hitting a :30 faster pace than the advertised pace. That's just wrong.3:33 is a spectacular time. Great run.

Good training weekend here.

Sat: 95 miles, 9500 ft climbing. Highlite was kicking Snake Mountain and it's 20% grade ####. OK, maybe it took a bite out of me when I was grinding the last mile at 3.5 to 3.8 mph.

Sun Recovery: Took a trip to Cloudland.

Rest Stop- Burbank Fire Station 3080’ (7 + miles of hard climbing starts here)

mm 7=3170, mm 6=3590, mm 5=3925, mm 4-4320, mm3-4575, mm2-4845, mm1-5180

mm0 Carver's Gap 5512’

Strange day as the winds were out of the SE and we fought a 10-15 mph headwind most of the way. At Carver's Gap it was blowing so hard it was tough to stay upright. The 10 mile descent wasn't very enjoyable with the wind gusts. Ended up logging 40 miles today.

Seeing a net time of 3:33:35. Absolutely kick ### based on the weather. :shrug: PMB!
Great job, PMB!!!! Congrats on the PR!!! :thumbup: :goodposting: :pickle: :clap:
It was miserable, but I did try and stay with the 3:10 group. Just could not do it. I will explain more tomorrow, but they burned at a 6:45 clip from miles 2-5 and the hills kicked in and I was destroyed.
Did they tell you ahead of time that they were planning on banking time, or were they just ####ty pacers? I'm guessing it was the latter. If so, :goodposting: .P.S. It's "kudos." ;)
It did not look right when I typed it, but I did not care too much to look it up. I was only thinking of my upcoming nap at the time. This morning, I think, duh, I'm an idiot.

--------------------

Thanks for all the well wishes. Full race report will be coming later today, but a quick update on the pacing. I was a bit off on the pacing of the first couple miles to what I wrote earlier, but not too far off. After downloading the data from Garmin here is what it said:

Mile 1: was about 7:30 or 7:40 --I just can't remember what the Garmin said.

Mile 2: 6:48

Mile 3: 7:08 -- I backed off here just a bit and tried to keep in sight of the pace group

Mile 4: 6:49

I am not sure if they had a change of hear or not, but when I talked to the guy on Friday that was leading the pace group, he said he would let the first mile sort itself out to get out of the crowd then go at pace until mile 5 - 8 which they would back the pace off to 7:30 - 7:40. Once the downhills started they would go at 7:00 to 7:10 to catch back up from the hills and then bring it home from 20 on. I am not sure why they sped up, but they actually burned up a bunch of people in the first couple of miles. I learned my lesson though. I am done with pace groups unless it is a completely flat course and am just going to run my own race from now on.

More to follow later....It will be short as I don't remember a whole lot out there other than it raining and just being miserable.

Running a 10K in the morning with a few friends. Haven't been training all that hard and haven't run beyond 4 miles in about 2 weeks.Forecast calls for wind and rain. Getting up at 5:15 am to run in bad weather for a race I'm not prepared to run.Perfect!
Well, I ended up running a decent race. Went out a little too fast (7:25 / 7:30 for first 2 miles), settled down and finished at 49:32 (7:59). My goal was to run under 50, which based on my training, I wasn't sure I would do.Muggy, foggy day to start, and we got rained on through about half of the race. But I rode up with 4 other guys from my church and managed to beat 3 of them so that was fun. :goodposting:
Nice race. :goodposting:I'm pretty sure the 10K is my least-favorite racing distance. I'm always happy with anything under 50 minutes.

Looking foward to the race report, pmb -- it sounds like this was an eventful race.

I'm planning on running with a pace group for TC this fall. At least that one is flat for the first 20 or so.

I am not sure if they had a change of [heart] or not, but when I talked to the guy on Friday that was leading the pace group, he said he would let the first mile sort itself out to get out of the crowd then go at pace until mile 5 - 8 which they would back the pace off to 7:30 - 7:40. Once the downhills started they would go at 7:00 to 7:10 to catch back up from the hills and then bring it home from 20 on. I am not sure why they sped up, but they actually burned up a bunch of people in the first couple of miles. I learned my lesson though. I am done with pace groups unless it is a completely flat course and am just going to run my own race from now on.
If you get a minute, make sure you E-mail the race director and pass along this story. I can guarantee you that he/she would want to know. Again, great job out there.

PMB: Like others have said....Great Job! Last year I ran 5 miles in a downpour and that was painful...I couldn't imagine doing more than 5x that amount.

Yesterday's plan: Race simulation....12 total miles....first 6 miles at 8:30 pace, last 6 miles at 7:50.

Yesterday's reality: First mile 8:00 exactly...whoa, better slow up. Second mile was 8:03...way too fast for this run. I continued to run at what I thought was a comfortable pace. Finished the first 6 miles in 47:47 (7:57)!!! But, I still felt good and wanted to have a negative split like the plan called for. So I pushed the final 6 miles and finished them in 43:16 (7:12)!!! Total time for the 12 miles was 1:31:03 (7:35).

Still can't believe it. I'm kind of pissed because it's WAY to fast for the long run. On the other hand, I'm now confident that I can attain my goal of 7:30 miles for my 1/2 in two weeks.

PMB: GREAT race and PR :clap: :lmao:

Keggers: Outstanding run!! Make sure you have a good recovery before doing another long or hard run.

My Update:

I've been in Korea for the last week, and got zero workouts in while gone. I did get a six miler in yesterday, and while it was slow, my legs felt good. My guess is that the week off was needed.

tri-man 47 said:
pigskinliquors said:
I've been in Korea for the last week, and got zero workouts in while gone.
Oh, c'mon, no excuses. It's the other side of the world, so you just have to run in the opposite direction. Everyone knows that.
:shrug: That's what I did wrong! I literally didn't have a free moment during any day while there, and with jet lag, didn't have the energy to get in an early morning workout. I did have a day of hiking in the mountains, which included multiple lunges on steps, but no runs/bikes/swims.

Took 2 runs with my new Garmin 305 and am not sure what to think. Was just kind of a blah weekend all around.

It said my resting heart rate is around 52 or 53. Bad news is that my max HR was only 172 - got that by running 4 miles at a fastish (for me) 7:35 pace and then sprinting the next half-mile, up a small hill. I just turned 41, so I had kind of figured my max HR was a little higher, based on the 180 minus your age formula. So now I'm trying to figure out my HR zones -- any advice for that? 90% of 172 is only 155, which seems a little low to be considered my "maximum" zone.

Did 5 miles Saturday and couldn't quite get my goal pace of 7:30, despite the "sprint" half-mile. Yesterday did 8-mile long run, but felt fatigued instead of fresh like I usually do on the longe runs. It was super hot and humid this weekend for the first time this summer, so I'm going to chalk up the bad runs to that and being half-hungover after my Friday night birthday celebration.

Took 2 runs with my new Garmin 305 and am not sure what to think. Was just kind of a blah weekend all around.It said my resting heart rate is around 52 or 53. Bad news is that my max HR was only 172 - got that by running 4 miles at a fastish (for me) 7:35 pace and then sprinting the next half-mile, up a small hill. I just turned 41, so I had kind of figured my max HR was a little higher, based on the 180 minus your age formula. So now I'm trying to figure out my HR zones -- any advice for that? 90% of 172 is only 155, which seems a little low to be considered my "maximum" zone. Did 5 miles Saturday and couldn't quite get my goal pace of 7:30, despite the "sprint" half-mile. Yesterday did 8-mile long run, but felt fatigued instead of fresh like I usually do on the longe runs. It was super hot and humid this weekend for the first time this summer, so I'm going to chalk up the bad runs to that and being half-hungover after my Friday night birthday celebration.
Hey The_Man: My guess is that your max HR is a bit higher. A half mile up hill probably didn't quite get you there. Here's a test that I've used before:
5K Race Test. This can be taken by anyone skiing, running, biking, or snowshoeing. Enter a 5K race, and during the last 1-2 minutes go to a full sprint. Keep checking your heart rate monitor and add 5 beats to the highest number recorded there during this period. The result should be your Max HR (because of muscle fatigue, you can't drive yourself all the way to true MaxHR at this point).
FWIW: Having a max HR of 172 (or whatever it is) is not a good or a bad thing, it is just your gauge. HR has little to nothing to do with fitness level though being sedentary for long periods of time can make it get lower. Your number comes almost holistically from genetics = you were just born with the number you have. You also need to know that different activities will have different Max HR's. For me, I have a MRH of 193 for running; and 186 for cycling. Max HR can also be effected by altitude.

Here is my race report for this past weekend’s Flying Pig Marathon:

Pre-Race: Started raining around 3AM hard and did not stop until after the race started. I woke up at 4:30 and got a shower (should have just put my running stuff on and hopped in because it did not matter at all). Ate a quick bite and was out the door with my wife and mom at 5:15. Made it down to the starting area around 5:50 and was thrown overboard by them under a bridge where I met up with a buddy that was running the half. They went on to find a spot to watch and wait out the rain. Had a garbage bag over me and another light jacket, but it did not matter as the rain just soaked through everything by the start. Hit the porta-john, bag check-in and then went to the start to stretch and get ready. Needless to say, I was not having much fun as the rain did not let up at all and really kind of killed the mood of the start. Also with the rain, there was minimal entertainment out on the course because no live bands could be playing because they could not plug in instruments or amps so that did make it a little duller than it supposedly is.

Race:

Miles 1 – 5: I was running with the 3:10 pace group but things got off to an interesting start. As previously posted, the group went out really fast and I just could not keep up. I planned/trained on running a 7:10 pace for most of the way, but they came in much faster than that. Add in the fact of dodging rivers in the streets and puddles, it was a mentally draining first couple of miles.

Miles 5 – 9 “The Climb”: This portion of the race is mostly uphill so I decided to back off the pace group and start running my own race. My legs were already starting to feel it and I had just started the hardest part of the course. The hills were not too bad as they were staired a bit, but it did take a great deal out of you. I think this is where the mental aspect starts to take over on this course as the uphill does not seem to end. Even the little breaks were not that great and it just takes a toll on the psyche. Plus by this time the rain had slowed a bit so all you could hear around you was the squish of peoples socks. This got really old by the end of the race.

Miles 10 – 18: This is mostly downhill and you are supposedly able to pick up some time. I did not find them a quick downhill but very gradual and did not help me out as there were a few rolling hills here and there. There was great crowd support out here and this really helped get things going. Rain had stopped at this point so it was at least a relief of some sort.

Miles 19 – End: This was the most boring part as we started on the highway of rolling hills and downhills that just seemed to drag on forever. Not much crowd support as access is limited. The small groups did their best and after the final hill, you crest and there is the finish line. At this point, my groin felt as though it was going to pop with every step and I was cramping pretty bad. Saw my wife and mom one last time then booked it (relative term) to the finish and got the medal. 3:33:36 and a PR by over 10 minutes.

Overall, I had fun and it was a great race. Crowd support was better than I expected with the rain and could imagine that on a year without rain it would have been excellent. Cincinnati loves their runners and always shows it.

Lessons Learned:

- Mental aspect for me this race took a lot more out of me than in previous. Not sure if it was the rain or what, but I just did not have a good outlook on the day from the start.

- I thought I had trained really well for this, but I am thinking that maybe I am just not built for many hills. I train a lot on hills, but these were some big hills and I just was not completely prepared. I will be running the course this summer to strengthen my legs.

- Next race I am placing my bib on my shorts so that I can shed my shirts if needed. I would have liked to have done this, but I did not want to stop and re-pin my bib on the side of the road. Probably would have helped a bit.

- This is what I learned about running in the rain. Once you are wet, there is no drying out ever no matter what you are wearing. It is hard to know how much you are sweating so not knowing how much water to take in is a big guess. The rain will cool your skin and make you feel colder than you actually are which also makes it tough to know how you are actually feeling out there.

That is it for this race. My plan is to take a couple of days off then get back to it and start running again by the end of the week. Nothing heavy, just easing back into it. I think my future plans are forming and I think that I will try and get even faster so that I can handle the quicker pace at the beginning or hold a little slower pace for the end.

Thanks all for keeping up with me yesterday and all the well wishes.

Again, great job in much less than ideal conditions, pmb!! A PR by 10 minutes is very impressive work!

Poor run for me on Saturday - I got started at 6:15am for what was supposed to be a 15 miler @ 8:35s, but 1/2 way through I ran out of gas. Ended up cutting it to 10 miles (my son had T-Ball at 9am so my window was pretty narrow to begin with) and finished with 8:53s. :goodposting:

Lots of negative factors (ie excuses) in play so I'm not sweating it. I took yesterday off and today as well, and will run & swim tomorrow, hopefully well rested and ready to start hitting personal best training times again.

pmb - I happened to note that the top men's/women's times in your race were about 12-13 minutes slower than the best times in Sunday's Pittsburgh marathon. Hard to compare, but it seems to indicate that the weather and course were tougher in Cincy. Congrats again!!!

Hey, everybody. Had a nice 8-miler tonight. Averaged 7:44 pace, with the first mile at 7:58 and each of the remaining miles between 7:39-7:44. Wasn't even looking at the Garmin, so it was just nice, consistent pacing. I feel like I'm getting my legs back just in time for my 5K this Saturday and Green Bay on the 16th.

Ran a total of 159 miles in April, which was down a bit because of the Boston taper/recovery.

Keggers - Great job on that 12-miler yesterday. :thumbup:

pmb - I happened to note that the top men's/women's times in your race were about 12-13 minutes slower than the best times in Sunday's Pittsburgh marathon. Hard to compare, but it seems to indicate that the weather and course were tougher in Cincy. Congrats again!!!
I would imagine that is the case, but it is hard to tell. I just looked at the course elevation map and it is interesting because they are pretty similar in the way the hills are so probably the weather played a big factor in it. Seems they are very similar races in course elevation. I know just from hearing everyone that I know that ran it, the weather was a huge factor in slowing people down.

I was going to post a question to you today as it was. I know you are the lung master and have that in your regular workouts during the week. Can you explain the reasoning and how that strengthens your legs? I understand a bit about it, but feel that I need to put this in on a regular basis to strengthen my legs up a bit.

Thanks

Weather cooled down a little and it definitely made a difference this a.m. Four miles at 8:12 pace, then picked it up for a 7:10 closing mile. Have a great day everyone!

I was going to post a question to you today as it was. I know you are the lunge master and have that in your regular workouts during the week. Can you explain the reasoning and how that strengthens your legs? I understand a bit about it, but feel that I need to put this in on a regular basis to strengthen my legs up a bit.Thanks
I believe a key to better/faster running is a strong and full leg rotation - extra inches on every stride will really cut down the time. And I believe a key to that rotation is in the hips (*). IMO, lunges help to build that elongated stride and strengthen the supporting butt muscles. So I see the benefit coming from the reach of the lunge steps and the strength building that occurs in the push-off from each lunge step. (I come across run training articles that recommend doing some high knee lifts and skip stepping after some workouts. Same idea, I'd say - getting the legs/hips to lift higher.) Hope that helps!* From 'brick' workouts, I find myself having to hold back at the start of the run. While I feel sluggish, my rotation is actually very good and fast coming off of the bike ...arguably because the hips are fully loosened up and warmed up.

* From 'brick' workouts, I find myself having to hold back at the start of the run. While I feel sluggish, my rotation is actually very good and fast coming off of the bike ...arguably because the hips are fully loosened up and warmed up.
Really? I find just the opposite and purposely use the shuffle (tri) run Floppo advised/taught me because of it. I find it can take more than a mile before I break out of the penguin run and in to normal form. Speed wise, I typically have to back off out of transition as speed is deceiving coming off the bike. (didn't mean to detract from the lunge discussion).

I was going to post a question to you today as it was. I know you are the lunge master and have that in your regular workouts during the week. Can you explain the reasoning and how that strengthens your legs? I understand a bit about it, but feel that I need to put this in on a regular basis to strengthen my legs up a bit.Thanks
I believe a key to better/faster running is a strong and full leg rotation - extra inches on every stride will really cut down the time. And I believe a key to that rotation is in the hips (*). IMO, lunges help to build that elongated stride and strengthen the supporting butt muscles. So I see the benefit coming from the reach of the lunge steps and the strength building that occurs in the push-off from each lunge step. (I come across run training articles that recommend doing some high knee lifts and skip stepping after some workouts. Same idea, I'd say - getting the legs/hips to lift higher.) Hope that helps!* From 'brick' workouts, I find myself having to hold back at the start of the run. While I feel sluggish, my rotation is actually very good and fast coming off of the bike ...arguably because the hips are fully loosened up and warmed up.
That is an interesting thought. To be honest, I have never thought about the hip rotation or stride length, but I do know that my stride shortens as my miles add up. I may try concentrating on that a bit more. So I guess the idea is then to always keep your stride the same and to do that you have to strengthen your legs and make your hips more flexible to allow for the better movement. Now I just have to remember that at mile 15 of a long run.

* From 'brick' workouts, I find myself having to hold back at the start of the run. While I feel sluggish, my rotation is actually very good and fast coming off of the bike ...arguably because the hips are fully loosened up and warmed up.
Really? I find just the opposite and purposely use the shuffle (tri) run Floppo advised/taught me because of it. I find it can take more than a mile before I break out of the penguin run and in to normal form. Speed wise, I typically have to back off out of transition as speed is deceiving coming off the bike. (didn't mean to detract from the lunge discussion).
My post-bike stride is a quick stride and not necessarily a long stride. I was trying to emphasize that the hips are loose and moving quickly (versus the general point of having a consistently long stride).pmb, I've seen some of the race pics from late in my marathons, and by that point, the reach of my stride is abysmal. You're doing the right thing by putting some focus on the strength of the upper legs (and butt). When that power goes late in a long race, you just can't get it back!

Awful news today. :cry: :hot: This will have to wait until Fall now.

Weather cooled down a little and it definitely made a difference this a.m. Four miles at 8:12 pace, then picked it up for a 7:10 closing mile. Have a great day everyone!
Same for me! I planned on having a very ez six miles this morning, but ran the last two at 7:42 then 7:27. I didn't expect to run any miles under 8:00, but the cooler weather felt waaaay too good!
My post-bike stride is a quick stride and not necessarily a long stride. I was trying to emphasize that the hips are loose and moving quickly (versus the general point of having a consistently long stride).
:moneybag: Like 2young; I also have the "penquin" run thing going, but I've had some of my fastest 5k and 10k times at the end of tri's (faster than just running a 5 or 10k) likely bc the hips are so loose.

After attending the Blackhawks game last night - :moneybag: - I was not feeling a run this morning at all, so I'll have to double-up tomorrow.

I did make it to the pool at noon though, and did 10x 200s: 3:30, 3:41, 3:49, 3:51, 3:52, 3:52, 3:57, 3:55, 4:09, 4:29. Good consistency in the middle, and I was (obviously) really dragging at the end. I have come to the conclusion that swimming is hard work.

I received my Vittoria Zaffiro Pro IIs and a new saddle today - I can't wait to get them on my bike and give them a try. I will probably post the specs on my tubes later to make sure they are OK with these 700 x 23s...

My son had a 4:30 little league game today ( 3 for 3 & a hit by pitch) due the scheduling of some other school event, so I knew I'd need to leave work early. Looking at the weather, I decided to leave really early and took a 1/2 day off work and got in a nice brick. Did 20.14 miles riding at and avg of 19.1 MPH (lots of lights & stops) and ran 3.13 an a 8:37 pace. After riding almost 40 miles Saturday, running 5 on Sunday and swimming 2,500 yards last night, I had intended on just taking the day off, but so glad I burned the time off to get this in. I was also smart enough to apply sunscreen this time. BTW, you guys are slacking. I posted a link to a pic of my miserable sunburn (based on wraith's request) from the weekend and figured I'd take some abuse. Thought I'd give y'all another chance in case you missed it: still hurts.....

A warning for you guys: watch out for these ####ers.

This is the time of the year the males get very territorial and will swoop down and attack. Nothing is freakier than to be running along and suddenly feel a bird on the back of your head. This has happened every spring to me during one part of one of my common routes. You'd think I'd remember this and keep an eye out but they surprise me every year.

This is the time of the year the males get very territorial and will swoop down and attack. Nothing is freakier than to be running along and suddenly feel a bird on the back of your head. This has happened every spring to me during one part of one of my common routes. You'd think I'd remember this and keep an eye out but they surprise me every year.
I posted about being attacked by one of these last year. That effer chased me for me for over a mile and became a topic of conversation for all runners along the lakesore here. He (or she I suppose) was king of the lake.

I posted about being attacked by one of these last year. That effer chased me for me for over a mile and became a topic of conversation for all runners along the lakesore here. He (or she I suppose) was king of the lake.
One got me this evening. It's weird because I've never been pecked or taloned (is that a word?). They just hit me on the back of my head with their wings....kind of soft, actually.

Users who are viewing this thread