What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (3 Viewers)

FYI...if you knock 2 miles a mile off your pace you can sleep in another 1/2 an hour. Hope that helps.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he can knock 2 miles off, for each he runs, he'd likely be going back in time :coffee:

And probably be getting rich and not have to work. Then I would not have to worry about getting up early at all. All of my problems solved right here.

I'm running in the same event as Gru...only I will be doing the 1/2. I'm hoping for an average pace of 7:30/mile, so I looked on the website for that pace group. Their fastest pacer is pacing 7:38/mile. On one hand I'm bummed that there won't be a pacer for me....on the other hand that means I'm too fast! :cocky:

Good luck to everyone this weekend!

Good luck to BnB, Ivan, Keggers and gruecd this weekend (active weekend for the group!!).

I'm looking forward to hearing how all of you crushed it!!

Did an hour on the bike this morning, five loops and about 15 miles total. Pretty windy again and my times were slow overall.

Headed to the pool at lunchtime and did 3x 500, 2100 total. The 500s were 10:00, 10:14, and 10:31. Certainly not going to win any races like that, but I'm sure after my Monday session with tri-man I'll be able to laugh at those times...

Seriously GOOD LUCK racers!!

Good luck to BnB, Ivan, Keggers and gruecd this weekend (active weekend for the group!!). I'm looking forward to hearing how all of you crushed it!! Did an hour on the bike this morning, five loops and about 15 miles total. Pretty windy again and my times were slow overall. Headed to the pool at lunchtime and did 3x 500, 2100 total. The 500s were 10:00, 10:14, and 10:31. Certainly not going to win any races like that, but I'm sure after my Monday session with tri-man I'll be able to laugh at those times... Seriously GOOD LUCK racers!!
Wraith: I've always raced under the assumption that 1:00 per 50 meters will put me in contention. Even longer races, that speed doesn't put you too far behind. Kill it on the bike, and do well on the run, and you likely won't be passed by many at all, and will pass the bejesus out of swimmers all day.

Something pretty cool....

A buddy of mine, Mike Henze (who actually paced me to my first BQ), was part of Team USA at the IAU 24 Hour Run World Championships this week in France along with Scott Jurek, Amy Palmiero-Winters, etc. Mike was the second American and 12th overall with 248.615 km, or approximately 154 miles. Jurek finished second overall and set a new American record with 162 miles. :thumbdown:

Good luck to BnB, Ivan, Keggers and gruecd this weekend (active weekend for the group!!). I'm looking forward to hearing how all of you crushed it!! Did an hour on the bike this morning, five loops and about 15 miles total. Pretty windy again and my times were slow overall. Headed to the pool at lunchtime and did 3x 500, 2100 total. The 500s were 10:00, 10:14, and 10:31. Certainly not going to win any races like that, but I'm sure after my Monday session with tri-man I'll be able to laugh at those times... Seriously GOOD LUCK racers!!
Wraith: I've always raced under the assumption that 1:00 per 50 meters will put me in contention. Even longer races, that speed doesn't put you too far behind. Kill it on the bike, and do well on the run, and you likely won't be passed by many at all, and will pass the bejesus out of swimmers all day.
At one of our more competitive events 5:02 for 250 yards was good for 227th out of 348. Median time was 4:37. This included getting out of the pool and running 40 yards or so. The top time was 1:47. Possibly a mistake??? Next 5 top times were between 3:00 and 3:10. Yesterday my interval times at "race pace" were200 - 3:51200 - 3:49200 - 3:50300 - 5:51300 - 5:51We then did medal relay race. I matched up head to head v. the fastest freestyle guy in class in the backstroke and breast stroke. I smoked him in the backstroke and opened up the lead further on the breast stroke to the point that the race was decided. Wish they had a tri where breast stroke was mandatory.

Good luck to BnB, Ivan, Keggers and gruecd this weekend (active weekend for the group!!).

Did an hour on the bike this morning, five loops and about 15 miles total. Pretty windy again and my times were slow overall.

Headed to the pool at lunchtime and did 3x 500, 2100 total. The 500s were 10:00, 10:14, and 10:31. Certainly not going to win any races like that, but I'm sure after my Monday session with tri-man I'll be able to laugh at those times...

At one of our more competitive events 5:02 for 250 yards was good for 227th out of 348. Median time was 4:37. This included getting out of the pool and running 40 yards or so. The top time was 1:47. Possibly a mistake??? Next 5 top times were between 3:00 and 3:10. Yesterday my interval times at "race pace" were

200 - 3:51

200 - 3:49

200 - 3:50

300 - 5:51

We then did medal relay race. I matched up head to head v. the fastest freestyle guy in class in the backstroke and breast stroke. I smoked him in the backstroke and opened up the lead further on the breast stroke to the point that the race was decided. Wish they had a tri where breast stroke was mandatory.
I would like more mandatory breast stroking as well! For longer tri's, putting in some back or breast stroke is a great way to keep from wearing out. For a local sprint, one of our fastest university swimmer's backstroked the ENTIRE 500 meters and was still the third fastest time for the event :popcorn: Looking at your top 5 fastest times: being in 227th place, has you behind by ONLY 2 minutes. If the bike is only 15 miles, going just 1 MPH faster than somebody else (i.e., 20.0 vs. 21.0 MPH) will save you 2:15 = you are kicking their ### now!!

edited to add: 162 miles!!!!!!!!!!!! :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
pigskinliquors said:
BassNBrew said:
pigskinliquors said:
wraith5 said:

At one of our more competitive events 5:02 for 250 yards was good for 227th out of 348. Median time was 4:37. This included getting out of the pool and running 40 yards or so. The top time was 1:47. Possibly a mistake??? Next 5 top times were between 3:00 and 3:10. Yesterday my interval times at "race pace" were

We then did medal relay race. I matched up head to head v. the fastest freestyle guy in class in the backstroke and breast stroke. I smoked him in the backstroke and opened up the lead further on the breast stroke to the point that the race was decided. Wish they had a tri where breast stroke was mandatory.
I would like more mandatory breast stroking as well! For longer tri's, putting in some back or breast stroke is a great way to keep from wearing out. For a local sprint, one of our fastest university swimmer's backstroked the ENTIRE 500 meters and was still the third fastest time for the event :shock: Looking at your top 5 fastest times: being in 227th place, has you behind by ONLY 2 minutes. If the bike is only 15 miles, going just 1 MPH faster than somebody else (i.e., 20.0 vs. 21.0 MPH) will save you 2:15 = you are kicking their ### now!!

edited to add: 162 miles!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
Thanks for the feedback and info, gents! :blackdot: I looked at last year's results for the tri I'm doing, and for each discipline if I wanted to be in the top 3rd of my age group (35-39), I'd need to hit:

Swim - 0:46/100 :shock:

Bike - 18.8mph :unsure:

Run - 8:01/mile :thumbup:

Also, transition times are not broken out separately, so they are buried in there somewhere...

Lots of work to do...

pigskinliquors said:
BassNBrew said:
pigskinliquors said:
wraith5 said:

I would like more mandatory breast stroking as well! For longer tri's, putting in some back or breast stroke is a great way to keep from wearing out. For a local sprint, one of our fastest university swimmer's backstroked the ENTIRE 500 meters and was still the third fastest time for the event :shock: Looking at your top 5 fastest times: being in 227th place, has you behind by ONLY 2 minutes. If the bike is only 15 miles, going just 1 MPH faster than somebody else (i.e., 20.0 vs. 21.0 MPH) will save you 2:15 = you are kicking their ### now!!

Thanks for the feedback and info, gents! :no: I looked at last year's results for the tri I'm doing, and for each discipline if I wanted to be in the top 3rd of my age group (35-39), I'd need to hit:

Also, transition times are not broken out separately, so they are buried in there somewhere...

Lots of work to do...
:46 per 100 cannot be right; and 18.8 seems pretty slow :shuked: How long were the distances for each?

I looked at last year's results for the tri I'm doing, and for each discipline if I wanted to be in the top 3rd of my age group (35-39), I'd need to hit:

Swim - 0:46/100 :lmao:

Bike - 18.8mph :lmao:

Run - 8:01/mile :lmao:

Lots of work to do...
:46 per 100 cannot be right; and 18.8 seems pretty slow :shuked: How long were the distances for each?
According to the results page, 800 swim, 14.5 bike, 4.5 run I'm guessing the transitions are in the bike and run numbers, but can't be sure.

Regarding the swim numbers, this year's race is 700 meters, so if we assumed the website is in error, that target goes from 0:46 to 0:53.

pigskinliquors said:
BassNBrew said:
pigskinliquors said:
wraith5 said:

Thanks for the feedback and info, gents! ;) I looked at last year's results for the tri I'm doing, and for each discipline if I wanted to be in the top 3rd of my age group (35-39), I'd need to hit:

Lots of work to do...
Hmmm, lots of odd times here. BnB - no way that the fastest guys were only pulling 1:47. 5:02 is about what you would expect the top tier guys to swim 400yds in in OW.

Wraith - no way :46/100 is right. Not even close. That swim course is off by at probably 30%.

BTW, either they really, really suck at measuring distances, or by those times the bike and run are brutally hilly. Those times would make me very nervous about the course elevation profile.

----

Did my OWS today at Lucky's Lake. Cool guy. I kept pace with him for the first leg (he's evidently an ex-collegiate swimmer). He dusted me for the second 1000, but to be fair he was using a pull bouy. He is still pretty smokin' fast, though. I did get out of the water second behind him. There were a bunch of tri guys there getting their last swims in before a 1/2IM at Disney - pretty cool to chat with those guys (I smoked 'em, though). Did 2k with stops and chatting in 34:00 or so. Actual swim time was about 8 minutes per 500m leg. If anyone here ever goes to Disney it is a must do.

BTW, I hate the comment about breast stroking. Those people should be relegated to an outside HOV lane or something. Getting kicked by a breast stroker freakin' hurts. Gotta love the backstroking guy, though I would have chided him for not doing fly. :goodposting:

Oh, and Dateline May 14 - 150,000yds on the year!

Thanks for the feedback and info, gents! :mellow:

I looked at last year's results for the tri I'm doing, and for each discipline if I wanted to be in the top 3rd of my age group (35-39), I'd need to hit:

Swim - 0:46/100 :yes:

Bike - 18.8mph :lmao:

Run - 8:01/mile :lmao:

Lots of work to do...
Hmmm, lots of odd times here. BnB - no way that the fastest guys were only pulling 1:47. 5:02 is about what you would expect the top tier guys to swim 400yds in in OW.

Wraith - no way :46/100 is right. Not even close. That swim course is off by at probably 30%.

BTW, either they really, really suck at measuring distances, or by those times the bike and run are brutally hilly. Those times would make me very nervous about the course elevation profile.
Yeah, I'm pretty convinced now that 1) the distance was 700, not 800 for the swim, and 2) transitions were included in the bike and run times. It's all rhetorical, anyway. I just need to do the best I can do and let the chips fall.

Race Report

Well, really I don't have much to report since this was pretty uneventful. I've mentioned earlier that I've had some hamstring issues recently, and these simultaneously impeded my training and made me reluctant to push too hard for this race. But it's our local half, and I know a bunch of the people running it, so I wanted to at least turn in a non-embarassing time. My goal was to run 8:30s all the way through and see how the hamstring held up, with my top priority being a healthy finish so I could be fresh when marathon training starts in a few weeks.

After two weeks of nothing but rain and sustained 20-30 mph winds, today was gorgeous and almost perfect for running. About 50 at the gun with no winds at all. Also very sunny, which at least beats rain.

My wife decided that she was going to go all-out for this to get a sense as to whether a BQ in October (which for her would be 3:50) is a reasonable goal, so she pretty much dusted me at the start. :popcorn:

Anyway, my splits were more or less as expected:

Mile 1 -- 8:28

Mile 2 -- 8:26

Mile 3 -- 8:51 (WTF? Not sure what happened here. Nothing eventful on the course).

Mile 4 -- 8:22

Mile 5 -- 8:34

Mile 6 -- 8:26

Mile 7 -- 8:29

Mile 8 -- 8:42 (meh)

Mile 9 -- 8:39 (meh)

Mile 10 -- 8:48 (This mile contains the one major hill on the course. It's only a quarter mile or so, but it's about a 20% grade up and down, and I had to shuffle both ways. I had planned on this split being terrible).

Mile 11 -- 8:24

Mile 12 -- 8:21

Mile 13 -- 8:00

Mile 13.22 -- 1.37

Overall: 1:52:02 (8:28/mi)

Yes, I ran a 13.22 half marathon. Obviously I need to work on my tangents better. I'm also not sure what happened on miles 8 and 9. I definitely wasn't tired at that point, but I guess I just let my pace slip a bit. If I was racing this for real, my pace on the last mile would indicate that I should have pushed harder on early on, but that's fine. The important thing is that despite an occasional ache here and there, my hamstring was fine. Also, it's encouraging that this was a fairly easy run overall. If I knew I was healthy and had no injury issues, I definitely could have knocked a couple of minutes off this time no problem. I'm shooting for 3:59:59 in the full, so the fact that I can do an easy 1:52 half makes this a very achievable and maybe a little over-conservative goal.

(FWIW, Mrs. Karamazov came in a 1:48:xx, so she has bragging rights for now. Actually, she has a great shot at a BQ, which would give her bragging rights forever. Between that and the fact that she picked a better spouse than I did leaves me green with envy).

We're having a few of our running buddies over this evening for hamburgers, beer, and whiskey -- the cornerstones of any post-race recovery plan.

We're having a few of our running buddies over this evening for hamburgers, beer, and whiskey -- the cornerstones of any post-race recovery plan.
:goodposting: Great job by Mrs. Karamazov. :thumbup: And you, too, I suppose. ;)Did an easy 3-mile shakeout run this morning and then went back to the GB Marathon expo this morning and got a few more ridiculously good deals from Eastbay. Looking forward to a fun, pressure-free run tomorrow.

Very successful race today. Nerveous as heck once again to start but that went away quickly.

Swim: 300 yard pool swim, up and back in the same lane, under the rope on the return, 15 sec interval start. This was interesting as there were some major trainwrecks early in the day. I late register so I got a start time at the end after most of the field had gone. Just focused on a smooth easy swim. Some tiney teen girl caught me about halfway thru. I yielded at the wall and drafted her the rest of the way. Tickled her feet on several occasions. Wow a draft makes a difference. I don't have a time as I smacked hands with someone at 3:07 and it shut my watch off. When I got out of the pool and saw 3:07 I was totally stoked. It took me about 15-30 seconds to realize the watch wasn't running. Now that I figure in the lost time I was probably closer to 6:30 which isn't a good time for me. I'm guessing we had about 30 seconds to cross the swim finish line so my final recorded time should be around 7 minutes.

T1: No idea. Was using my new shoes so I problem did OK.

Bike: 11.2 miles advertised, I came up with 12 miles and started the timer about 0.1 miles late. My computer had me at 19.9mph. Somewhat disappointing but it was a very hilly course and technical. It will be interesting to see the race numbers but I the reverse calculations v. the field should put me in the top 10, maybe top 5. The most eventful part of the day happened around mile 6. I was passing a guy on a 90 degree left hand turn. He swept from the extreme right to within inches of the inside of the turn completely cutting me off. I locked up the rear brake for about 6 feet before sliding sideways with the rear wheel jumping at roughly 25 mph. I thought I was going down in a major heap. When I caught back up to him I yelled hold your ####### line. He yell back about my language. Shortly thereafter I looked back and saw him in my draft and asked if he was going to draft the rest of the way. I think that pissed him off becuase he passed me and kicked it into overdrive. I ran him down on the big hill and disposed of him for the balance of the bike.

T2: Short shot the dismount line after pulling my feet out of the shoes. Ended up dragging one across the pavement. A little over anxious on the shoe change. No idea how the time will shake out.

Run: 5k with a net elevation gain to the finish. Knocked it out in 27'33", 159 average hr, no cramping issues. Really was shotting for 26'30", but it wasn't in the cards today. Most of the run was the hr was in the 160s, but a long downhill on mile 2 brought the average down. For the first time ever I was the passer more aften then the passee. The guy who almost took me out on the bike passed me around mile 1.5. He patted me on the back as he came by and said after a bike that strong I had it in my legs. I kept him within 100 yards and actually gained some distance back as he slowed a couple of times to walk on the hill around mile 2.5. I knew that he had started at least 15 seconds in front of me and knew I could cover the last 100 yards under 15 seconds. Misson accomplishment, beat him by a few places in the overall. He was at the finish line and apologized about the bike deal. Turns out he lives in the same town and I've probably ridden with him in the past.

Overall: 25th out of 150+, 1st in category (MC) and top overall clyde by roughly 20 spots, maybe 5 minutes.

Still need to work on the run to make some further progress.

:whistle: Great job by Mrs. Karamazov. :lmao: And you, too, I suppose. ;)Did an easy 3-mile shakeout run this morning and then went back to the GB Marathon expo this morning and got a few more ridiculously good deals from Eastbay. Looking forward to a fun, pressure-free run tomorrow.
I woulda had you grab me a bunch if I knew you were coming down in a couple of weeks! - the eastbay site you showed me is dirt cheap but the shipping is more than I would have expected. Small price to pay overall, I suppose.

Great job BnB!! Congratulations on your top finish!

Ivan - Great job on your 1/2! - very solid time, too, especially if your primary goal was to finish injury free. I wonder if you got behind someone on miles 8 and 9 who was going a little slower than you thought? I know that's happened to me in races. I also think there's not much you can do about the extra distance you ran. I ended up with 13.34 at the RnR Chicago last year, which was a major surprise (and huge drag!) at the time.

Normally I don't like reporting my training runs when folks are racing, but I'm pretty excited so forgive me:

The schedule called for 12, but since I bailed on my 15 two weeks ago, I decided to make it up today. Up at 5:45, out the door at about 6:30. We had weather like Ivans - about 50 and near perfect for running.

Did the first 4 miles @ 8:29, next 4 @ 8:19, next 4 @ 8:08, then slowed up a bit on the next 3 for 8:14s (just wanted to stay below 8:20), then added an extra mile at the end @ 7:55.

Overall 16 miles in 2:12:37, an 8:16 pace.

That pace is actually only :02/mile slower than my fastest 1/2 marathon ever (in 2006) and blows away anything I've done in the past couple of years at any comparable distance. On top of that, my HR never touched 170 until the last mile.

Good luck tomorrow gruecd and Keggers!!

Ivan, nice run. I found myself explaining away a 1:52 last month, when in fact it was like you, a good run that ended with me healthy. Enjoy the post race recovery meal. A burger is almost always part my of my recovery meal too :lmao:

BNB, nice work too. I really like to find someone to draft off of. I'd have guessed it would be tough to find in a pool swim, but love it in open water (especially if the person I am drafting is siting well).

Update. Knocked out a triple-brick this morning, riding a total of 45.60 miles and running 6.28 miles. I can really see the benefit of doing the bricks in 3s versus doing the ride/run combo all in one. I was able to keep each of the 3 runs below 8:25 MM and found the bike to be a great way to shake the legs after the runs. While I am pooped, I am going to try and get a 15 to 20 mile ride in again tomorrow as I committed to meet up with some folks to ride. Not sure what I'll have in the tank.

ETA, go get'em tomorrow gruecd & Keggers!!!!!!!!

The most eventful part of the day happened around mile 6. I was passing a guy on a 90 degree left hand turn. He swept from the extreme right to within inches of the inside of the turn completely cutting me off. I locked up the rear brake for about 6 feet before sliding sideways with the rear wheel jumping at roughly 25 mph. I thought I was going down in a major heap. When I caught back up to him I yelled hold your ####### line. He yell back about my language.
Sorry, but this had me :lmao:

Ivan, nice run. I found myself explaining away a 1:52 last month, when in fact it was like you, a good run that ended with me healthy. Enjoy the post race recovery meal. A burger is almost always part my of my recovery meal too :lmao:BNB, nice work too. I really like to find someone to draft off of. I'd have guessed it would be tough to find in a pool swim, but love it in open water (especially if the person I am drafting is siting well).____________________________Update. Knocked out a triple-brick this morning, riding a total of 45.60 miles and running 6.28 miles. I can really see the benefit of doing the bricks in 3s versus doing the ride/run combo all in one. I was able to keep each of the 3 runs below 8:25 MM and found the bike to be a great way to shake the legs after the runs. While I am pooped, I am going to try and get a 15 to 20 mile ride in again tomorrow as I committed to meet up with some folks to ride. Not sure what I'll have in the tank.ETA, go get'em tomorrow gruecd & Keggers!!!!!!!!
Triple Brick!!! :bag: You should be :flexing:

Ivan, nice run. I found myself explaining away a 1:52 last month, when in fact it was like you, a good run that ended with me healthy. Enjoy the post race recovery meal. A burger is almost always part my of my recovery meal too :lmao:BNB, nice work too. I really like to find someone to draft off of. I'd have guessed it would be tough to find in a pool swim, but love it in open water (especially if the person I am drafting is siting well).____________________________Update. Knocked out a triple-brick this morning, riding a total of 45.60 miles and running 6.28 miles. I can really see the benefit of doing the bricks in 3s versus doing the ride/run combo all in one. I was able to keep each of the 3 runs below 8:25 MM and found the bike to be a great way to shake the legs after the runs. While I am pooped, I am going to try and get a 15 to 20 mile ride in again tomorrow as I committed to meet up with some folks to ride. Not sure what I'll have in the tank.ETA, go get'em tomorrow gruecd & Keggers!!!!!!!!
Triple Brick!!! :bag: You should be :flexing:
I don't meet the minimum height requirement to :flex: :DI forgot to add, I tested out a new Hammer Gel flavor, Montana Huckleberry. This #### rocks. By far the best tasting gel I've tried and I am a huge fan of Hammer's Gels (love the Apple/Cinnamon too).

Great race reports ...great training updates! Good stuff all around.

I did nuttin today - drove 5 1/2 hours to Des Moines, packed up the car with my daughter's stuff (finished Jr year at Drake), and drove 5 1/2 hours home. First training day off in a lonnng time.

The shoes I was wearing at work the last 6 months seemed to have caused a problem with the bottom of my foot. Right on the pad by my little toe I developed a callus, then the callus developed what looked like a hole. I say looked like because when touched it felt like something solid was in there. Well there has been a sharp pain there for almost three weeks, but not enough to keep me from running. Last week while trying 6 it hurt so bad that I decided to take a few days off to see if it improved. On Friday it was no better so I tried something different.

A few years ago my wife had bought a PedEgg for her calluses (calli?), so I gave that a try. Yesterday I did everything normal except run and my foot felt great. My wife and I even took a brisk 2ish mile walk last evening and still no pain.

This morning I went out for 5 miles and not only was it the fastest run in weeks, but the easiest. I think I could have run 6 without trouble. Like I said earlier my runs the last few weeks have all been slower while I was hurting, and I have been extra worn out and breathless after these slow runs. Is it possible that I was changing my mechanics subconsciously to try and alleviate the pain? The run this morning just flat out felt better.

Well I hope that I can keep it not hurting in the future. Good luck to everyone else.

I thought I was recovered. Unfortunately, the legs thought otherwise.

Felt good the first 16, then like crap the last 10. It was warm out there, which never bodes well for me. Finished in 3:21:56 or something, which surprisingly wasn't good enough to even get me on the podium for the Clydesdale division. Guys must've brought their "A" game since they knew I was running.

Didn't really have any expectations going in, so I'm totally fine with the time. Next time I get the bright idea to do back-to-back marathons like this, tell me I'm an idiot, OK?

P.S. Keggers ran 1:38:53 (7:32 average pace). If I remember correct, his goal was sub-1:40. Way to go, Keggers!!! :rolleyes: :thumbup:

I thought I was recovered. Unfortunately, the legs thought otherwise.Felt good the first 16, then like crap the last 10. It was warm out there, which never bodes well for me. Finished in 3:21:56 or something, which surprisingly wasn't good enough to even get me on the podium for the Clydesdale division. Guys must've brought their "A" game since they knew I was running. Didn't really have any expectations going in, so I'm totally fine with the time. Next time I get the bright idea to do back-to-back marathons like this, tell me I'm an idiot, OK?
Do they mark your calves so you know who the competition is or do you have to guesstimate they're weight when you pass each other?

P.S. Keggers ran 1:38:53 (7:32 average pace). If I remember correct, his goal was sub-1:40. Way to go, Keggers!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
:goodposting: :clap: :clap: Good effort, gruecd ...tough to come right back with another marathon.

----

Great 4 hour bike training today. Smack in the middle, and the focus of the workout, were 5 x 4 mile repeats at very hard pacing. Even with that, I was still biking very well on the return home and didn't feel too bad at all - still breathing well; still some giddy-up in my go. As I got off my bike, I thought: Yeah, I could go run a half-marathon right now. :raceready: The repeats on an undulating course and with some wind were at about 20.7 mph. I've still got two very full training weeks scheduled and a couple more 4 hour workouts before some travel and then a taper. Grue and others are right - how can we think about work and such when we've got a big race coming up???

P.S. Keggers ran 1:38:53 (7:32 average pace). If I remember correct, his goal was sub-1:40. Way to go, Keggers!!! :P :thumbup:
Great day today! My goal was actually to average 7:30. So I missed by a bit. However, I HAD to take a bathroom break at around mile 10 or 11...so that added to my time. I was holding it since mile 4 and I even went just before the gun fired. I've never had to take a pee break (either in training or during a race) so I don't know what was up with that. :ph34r: Over-hydrated? Great job everyone else!!!

P.S. Keggers ran 1:38:53 (7:32 average pace). If I remember correct, his goal was sub-1:40. Way to go, Keggers!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Great day today! My goal was actually to average 7:30. So I missed by a bit. However, I HAD to take a bathroom break at around mile 10 or 11...so that added to my time. I was holding it since mile 4 and I even went just before the gun fired. I've never had to take a pee break (either in training or during a race) so I don't know what was up with that. :thanks: Over-hydrated? Great job everyone else!!!
:thumbup: WTG Keggers, great race without a pee break, AMAZING race with a pee break :thumbup:

Great races by everyone. Sometimes it is just great to finish. We can't all place everytime we race. Although, sometimes it seems as if someone is always getting on a podium at least once a week. Maybe it is just the domination of the FFA running community.

Wraith, great run. I had a similar day. Not the miles, but on Saturday I did 5 miles and I went out wanting to do them slow. The weather felt pretty great and I just went with it and ended up knocking them out with a 7:22 average. I just got into a rhythm and went with it. My legs are starting to get their strength back so it did not bother me at all.

Yesterday I went out and did my first double digit miles since the marathon. I ran 10 yesterday and had plenty to spare. I think my average was around 7:45 which is pretty good for me at that distance for the type of run it was. I realized after doing a little research that I think that I will have to do my longer runs at a little faster pace than normal in order to follow the 18/70 Pfitz plan. I also realize that I need to get more into the mentality of having a plan every time I go out. I figure I can relax on the recovery days, but most other runs should have a specific goal when I go out. Something that I do not always do.

I also realize that I need to get more into the mentality of having a plan every time I go out. I figure I can relax on the recovery days, but most other runs should have a specific goal when I go out. Something that I do not always do.
Congrats to all the racers, especially Keggers. What a great effort.PMBRown has a really good insight, one I also arrived at this weekend. Unfortunately, I got to it by having a couple of blah runs, instead of good ones like Wraith and PMBrown. I was so fired up to do a fast 6 miles Saturday that I went out way too fast (7:09 first mile) that I should have just called it a day right then. Struggled through 6 at 7:29 pace. And yesterday, my legs really felt dead toward the end of the first 10-mile long run I've done since my HM in March.I'm hoping that it's the culmination of 6 good weeks of training and I'm just in a "dead leg" period from having run so many more miles than ever before. But all week long I look so forward to my good, challenging runs on the weekend that it was kind of a bummer to mess them up, largely because I didn't have a real plan for getting the most out of them.It seems like almost every run I've had in the past year that is memorably good were ones where I started at a moderate pace, and got faster and stronger throughout. And every memorably bad one is where I've gone out way too fast and died all the way home. You'd think I'd learn the lesson somewhere along the way and apply it to every run.

I woulda had you grab me a bunch if I knew you were coming down in a couple of weeks! - the eastbay site you showed me is dirt cheap but the shipping is more than I would have expected. Small price to pay overall, I suppose.
Perhaps you placed your order already, but I got an E-mail this morning offering free shipping on orders of $50 or more. Use promotion code EMFST555 at checkout.

I also realize that I need to get more into the mentality of having a plan every time I go out.
I hate to keep :confused: , but like I've said before, this is key. The idea isn't to go out everytime and run as fast as you can. In fact, sometimes the plan is to run embarrassingly slow. Even the long runs are meant to be 10-20% slower than GMP, with the exception of designated MP runs. You have to recover on those active recovery days, because otherwise your quality workouts (tempo, intervals, MP runs, etc.) will suffer.

I also realize that I need to get more into the mentality of having a plan every time I go out. I figure I can relax on the recovery days, but most other runs should have a specific goal when I go out. Something that I do not always do.
Congrats to all the racers, especially Keggers. What a great effort.PMBRown has a really good insight, one I also arrived at this weekend. Unfortunately, I got to it by having a couple of blah runs, instead of good ones like Wraith and PMBrown. I was so fired up to do a fast 6 miles Saturday that I went out way too fast (7:09 first mile) that I should have just called it a day right then. Struggled through 6 at 7:29 pace. And yesterday, my legs really felt dead toward the end of the first 10-mile long run I've done since my HM in March.I'm hoping that it's the culmination of 6 good weeks of training and I'm just in a "dead leg" period from having run so many more miles than ever before. But all week long I look so forward to my good, challenging runs on the weekend that it was kind of a bummer to mess them up, largely because I didn't have a real plan for getting the most out of them.It seems like almost every run I've had in the past year that is memorably good were ones where I started at a moderate pace, and got faster and stronger throughout. And every memorably bad one is where I've gone out way too fast and died all the way home. You'd think I'd learn the lesson somewhere along the way and apply it to every run.
If you don't do any hard runs out of the gate, you'll never know what you're capable come race day. The ultimate goal is to cover as much distance in as little time as possible. That's a delicate balancing act of doling out the appropriate effort. If you're getting progressively faster during most of your runs you're likely sandbagging too much at the beginning. I would think the ideal effort (on a totally flat course) would be to run each mile a second or two slower until you bring it home strong with a faster last mile or two.ETA: Of course what Gru posted above applies first and foremost. I was refering to individual workouts schedule to be harder days.

I also realize that I need to get more into the mentality of having a plan every time I go out.
I hate to keep :lmao: , but like I've said before, this is key. The idea isn't to go out everytime and run as fast as you can. In fact, sometimes the plan is to run embarrassingly slow. Even the long runs are meant to be 10-20% slower than GMP, with the exception of designated MP runs. You have to recover on those active recovery days, because otherwise your quality workouts (tempo, intervals, MP runs, etc.) will suffer.
I know you have said this many times before. For me though, I just know that some days I have just mailed it in on non-recovery days. Some of that was the plan I was following did not give me set percentages or goals to get for the day. That is part of my reasoning for wanting to go to the 18/70 plan as it is more structured to keep me in check. As I have said before, with me getting up early to run, it was too easy to jsut go out and just run at an easy pace and not do anything specific. I hopefully will find it easier to know the day before what I need to do and just wake up, get out there, and follow it without thinking too much. I never really ever would just go out and run as fast as I can. If I was going to do a pace run or test pace run, I would always plan for that and not make a mid run decision as such. That can only lead to injury as i know the recovery and slower days is what helps your body catch up to the training and recover.

I've got to find somewhere flat to run. According to the Garmin, yesterday's 10 miles was made up of 4 flat, 3 ascending and 3 descending miles, and - since I did an out-and-back route - I climbed and descended 720 feet. Makes it hard to know what my "average" mile is, since the splits vary so widely with the terrain.

Also, in the spirit of "listening to my body" I'm going to take the heart rate info off my Garmin's display while I'm running. I'll continue to capture the info and look at if afterward, but I'm finding that instead of backing off when I'm too winded, or pushing it a little when I feel good, I'm constantly looking at my wrist to see just how hard I'm pushing it.

Some of that was the plan I was following did not give me set percentages or goals to get for the day. That is part of my reasoning for wanting to go to the 18/70 plan as it is more structured to keep me in check.
I think you're gonna really like Pfitz. When's the start date??

Some of that was the plan I was following did not give me set percentages or goals to get for the day. That is part of my reasoning for wanting to go to the 18/70 plan as it is more structured to keep me in check.
June 13, but I need to get back up in miles just a bit, but I feel like I could do it now if I really had too. I don't want to be dragging that first week. I am going to be down in Orlando for that first week of training, so I may be dragging anyway as we will be visiting Disney several days so I know I will be worn out anyway down there. I am looking forward to the trip, but not running in the heat and humidity.

June 13, but I need to get back up in miles just a bit, but I feel like I could do it now if I really had too. I don't want to be dragging that first week. I am going to be down in Orlando for that first week of training, so I may be dragging anyway as we will be visiting Disney several days so I know I will be worn out anyway down there. I am looking forward to the trip, but not running in the heat and humidity.
I actually looked at the book last night, and it said that you should be doing at least 45 miles the week prior to starting with a long run reasonably close to the 15-miler that you'll be doing the first week. Gonna be a challenge for me coming off Boston and Green Bay, but I'll see what I can do. Might have to be a little flexible with those first couple of weeks.

Perhaps you placed your order already, but I got an E-mail this morning offering free shipping on orders of $50 or more. Use promotion code EMFST555 at checkout.
I used a 20% off code so it was about a wash. Thanks tho! Can't wait to get all of my new stuff.

It seems like almost every run I've had in the past year that is memorably good were ones where I started at a moderate pace, and got faster and stronger throughout. And every memorably bad one is where I've gone out way too fast and died all the way home. You'd think I'd learn the lesson somewhere along the way and apply it to every run.
A couple of great points here that I think are absolutely key to improving performance.

I actually looked at the book last night, and it said that you should be doing at least 45 miles the week prior to starting with a long run reasonably close to the 15-miler that you'll be doing the first week. Gonna be a challenge for me coming off Boston and Green Bay, but I'll see what I can do. Might have to be a little flexible with those first couple of weeks.
I am thinking you will be all right. Your body is used to running now so it should not have too much time adjusting to the miles. You may cut back a bit to let it rest over the next week or so and then bounce back strong. I feel like I am just getting back to form now. Can't imagine after two pretty close to one another. I am not sure how those guys can do it running a bunch of marathons in a year.

Users who are viewing this thread