What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (4 Viewers)

Run #3 on the rebound trail...

3rd verse, same as the first. Same 4.75ish mile run, same effort, same attempt to concentrate on form and keeping an even pace, regardless of speed.

Felt horrible and really slow- but I knocked 3 minutes off the time (40:40). I guess the legs are doing their best to remember this stuff, even if the rest of me doesn't yet.

Planning on getting on the bike Tuesday morning. I'll definitely be hemming and hawing about that one by this time tomorrow night... :goodposting:

Run #3 on the rebound trail...3rd verse, same as the first. Same 4.75ish mile run, same effort, same attempt to concentrate on form and keeping an even pace, regardless of speed. Felt horrible and really slow- but I knocked 3 minutes off the time (40:40). I guess the legs are doing their best to remember this stuff, even if the rest of me doesn't yet.Planning on getting on the bike Tuesday morning. I'll definitely be hemming and hawing about that one by this time tomorrow night... :lmao:
Great to hear El Floppo! My legs are also still "doing there best to remember" but my layoff wasn't nearly as long. Getting back on the bike should make you feel quite a bit better. For me, a slow ride is still euphoric, while a slow run just makes me :goodposting: .

Liquors - you should be fine with lunges once a week or so. I just think it's a good one to have in the routine!

A big man hug for the recommendation on soaking legs in ice water after a long run!!! (Too lazy to look back, so someone take credit, please). I was just dragging after my first (and first ever) 20 mile run today ...73 degrees in Chicago, and I absolutely did not have enough fluids with me. I was limping around for a couple hours, but then dropped into a real cold bath for several minutes - and now feel pretty decent. Thank you so much!

This must have been a bye week for me. No running all weekend. I do plan on running tomorrow before I go to work. That should get me back on track. My schedule has been crazy lately, but I am making an effort to make it work. I think without this thread I would fad out of running when life gets busy.

Liquors - you should be fine with lunges once a week or so. I just think it's a good one to have in the routine!A big man hug for the recommendation on soaking legs in ice water after a long run!!! (Too lazy to look back, so someone take credit, please). I was just dragging after my first (and first ever) 20 mile run today ...73 degrees in Chicago, and I absolutely did not have enough fluids with me. I was limping around for a couple hours, but then dropped into a real cold bath for several minutes - and now feel pretty decent. Thank you so much!
:thumbup: It wasn't me, but I should have.That was part of my training regimen last summer in Kansas (for those who don't know, it's one of the hottest, most humid states outside of the old south and TX). My wife thought I was crazy, but it saved my legs IMO.

Liquors - you should be fine with lunges once a week or so. I just think it's a good one to have in the routine!A big man hug for the recommendation on soaking legs in ice water after a long run!!! (Too lazy to look back, so someone take credit, please). I was just dragging after my first (and first ever) 20 mile run today ...73 degrees in Chicago, and I absolutely did not have enough fluids with me. I was limping around for a couple hours, but then dropped into a real cold bath for several minutes - and now feel pretty decent. Thank you so much!
Congrat's on the 20 miler!!! You are now home-free. Completing it in freakish weather should make race day much easier. Your legs will feel it for a couple to three days = you may want to ice them tomorrow night again. Keep taking in liquids, and hopefully you are getting your share of proteins. Your body really wants to start healing itself, but needs liquids and protein. Awesome :thumbup: Are you going to do a second 20+ prior to the race, or are you on to the greatest word in running: tapering?!

I was just dragging after my first (and first ever) 20 mile run today ...73 degrees in Chicago, and I absolutely did not have enough fluids with me.
Very nice!I did an easy 3 yesterday, and 8 more today.

Liquors, I've got two more long ones still in the plan (late May race). Gosh, the taper is already starting to sound good! But the thought of running a marathon on fresh legs also sounds good. I don't know some runners do this kind of mileage week in and week out, year in and year out.

Bonus from all this: Late March, and I've already got a nice tan going. :confused:

A big man hug for the recommendation on soaking legs in ice water after a long run!!! (Too lazy to look back, so someone take credit, please). I was just dragging after my first (and first ever) 20 mile run today ...73 degrees in Chicago, and I absolutely did not have enough fluids with me. I was limping around for a couple hours, but then dropped into a real cold bath for several minutes - and now feel pretty decent. Thank you so much!
:pickle:The weather is starting to turn, so everyone be sure to hydrate. Dehydration can sneak up on you, so drink even if you don't feel thirsty. On the other hand, it is possible to over-hydrate, so include Gatorade-type drinks (i.e. don't just drink water, replace those electrolytes as well). If you usually don't salt your meals, consider starting (again, all things in moderation, especially if you're on a low-salt diet).

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrat's on the 20 miler!!! You are now home-free. Completing it in freakish weather should make race day much easier. Your legs will feel it for a couple to three days = you may want to ice them tomorrow night again. Keep taking in liquids, and hopefully you are getting your share of proteins. Your body really wants to start healing itself, but needs liquids and protein. Awesome :pickle: Are you going to do a second 20+ prior to the race, or are you on to the greatest word in running: tapering?!
:lmao: on all counts~!

:lmao: The weather is starting to turn, so everyone be sure to hydrate. Dehydration can sneak up on you, so drink even if you don't feel thirsty. On the other hand, it is possible to over-hydrate, so include Gatorade-type drinks (i.e. don't just drink water, replace those electrolytes as well). If you usually don't salt your meals, consider starting (again, all things in moderation, especially if you're on a low-salt diet).
funny- I was thinking that for the waistline-challenged among us, the gatorade wasn't necessary. I learned, and used in practice, that workouts under 45 minutes don't really need the kind of refueling the longer ones do. So if trying to do workouts and lose weight, rather than adding the calories in a sport's drink, water works just fine.Anybody else with an opinion on that?

Although if somebody is prone to muscle cramping- not stitches in the side- chances are they need to alter their daily diet to get enough water/electrolytes, regardless of what they're consuming during their workout.

and I learned that at 1:30 the body starts to pull carbs from fat/muscle, rather than food/drink fuel sources. so that these really long runs are great ways to get some fat-burn going- as long as you don't fuel up too heavily afterwards.

funny- I was thinking that for the waistline-challenged among us, the gatorade wasn't necessary. I learned, and used in practice, that workouts under 45 minutes don't really need the kind of refueling the longer ones do. So if trying to do workouts and lose weight, rather than adding the calories in a sport's drink, water works just fine.

Anybody else with an opinion on that?
I don't bother with gels or sports drinks or anything until the runs get into double digits.

funny- I was thinking that for the waistline-challenged among us, the gatorade wasn't necessary. I learned, and used in practice, that workouts under 45 minutes don't really need the kind of refueling the longer ones do. So if trying to do workouts and lose weight, rather than adding the calories in a sport's drink, water works just fine.

I don't bother with gels or sports drinks or anything until the runs get into double digits.
So over 10 minutes, you start fueling up... gotcha. :hot:

I haven't posted here in a couple days so I feel the need to get caught back up.

My intervals felt great. I really wanted to break up the long boring runs with some speed work to see how it felt. I did 2x400, 2x600, 2x800. After the last 800, I felt such a rush so I went and did another 400 just for fun. I haven't done that (an extra run for fun) in 10 years. :loco: I am still at home when I'm running the shorter distances. I miss my 200 days...

The following morning my legs were toast. Knees were achy, hammys were tight. It really snuck up on me. So I decided to just do some light stretching in the morning and afternoon and take the day off to let my legs recover. I guess I'm really not 18 any more!

Saturday I went for a 4mi run and felt like complete garbage. My right knee, which is my good one, was pretty tender. I also felt some stinging/aching feeling on the lower inside portion of my left calf. They both had me a little worried but things got better about a mile in to the run.

Sunday I take another day off - nursing more aches and pains. Go figure that my partially torn ACL knee is holding up better than my "healthy" knee.

Things feel pretty good today. I'm going to go take it easy and slow it down. I think I'm over doing it a bit...

GDB not being 18... :lmao:

I got the 4 mile run in this morning. It was really nice getting my run out of the way early in the day. Maybe I can reverse my mindset for eating now. Instead of eating all day because I am going to run, I will watch what I eat as to not negate the efforts of my run. Maybe that is just wishful thinking.

I think that the whole refueling thing can work negatively on a person like me that is just running 4 miles. My mind tells me that I need to, but really I don't. Water works just fine. I'm pretty good at finding excuses to eat. My goal for the week is 2 more 4 mile runs, a 4.5 run on the weekend, and a perfect fantasy baseball draft on Tuesday. Should be a fun week.

I've just finished my first full-week back at it. My calf and everything else feel great, though a bit tired. My week, trying to create a base, included:

3 runs totaling 15 miles (a 4, 5 and a 6); all three MUCH slower than desired

2 swims totaling 4,000 meters (2x 2,000); took 2 minute (= long) breaks between series of 500's

2 bikes totaling 43 miles (a 20 and a 23); 23 miler was windy and I went waaay to fast on tired legs :-)stupid:)

I learned that laying off (first layoff of this long in more than a decade), hurt my swim speed/endurance the most, followed closely by swimming, yet didn't seem to hurt my biking speeds much (though I admittedly pushed myself too hard on the second ride). This week I'll incorporate a fartlek (speed training for the run), a 500 meter tempo swim, and intervals on the bike. I've still got 5 weeks until my next race so I'm still taking it easy.

Great. Could you explain what IT is and how it happens? What can you do to treat it etc.?
Geez, no one reads threads from page 1 anymore. :lmao: lol:goodposting:I-T is my shorthand for the I-T (Ilio-Tibial) Band, that big hunk of muscle/tendon that runs along the outside of the leg from the hip (Ilio) to just below the knee (Tibial). Due to various causes (running on uneven surfaces, not stretching enough, etc), the lower tendon can get enflamed by rubbing against a bit of bone that sticks out of the side of the knee.I trained a lot last fall on canal banks, which are sloped. This leaves one leg striking the ground higher than the other leg, which tips the pelvis, and throws everything out of whack. Also in my case, my doc thinks my weight loss took away what little padding I had and opened up the tendon to inflammation.Rest, ice, stretching, etc for treatment. Don't get it in the first place is best tho. :lmao:
IT band problems can really put you down for awhile. This is also something that is often misdiagnosed. You can get it easy from a bad fitting bike, but you'd have to be really trying to get it running.

Less than a Month away from my big ride. Did 52 on Saturday and then another hour or so pulling my baby in a trailer on Sunday.

Gonna do a real road rally this weekend of either 64 or 75 miles (game day decision) and see where I'm at. Hopefully I can just maintain and hit mostly hill sets leading up to the event.

Less than a Month away from my big ride. Did 52 on Saturday and then another hour or so pulling my baby in a trailer on Sunday. Gonna do a real road rally this weekend of either 64 or 75 miles (game day decision) and see where I'm at. Hopefully I can just maintain and hit mostly hill sets leading up to the event.
:goodposting: Doing 75+ is utterly amazing to me. How do you fuel yourself over that duration of a time, and do you have any tips?

Less than a Month away from my big ride. Did 52 on Saturday and then another hour or so pulling my baby in a trailer on Sunday. Gonna do a real road rally this weekend of either 64 or 75 miles (game day decision) and see where I'm at. Hopefully I can just maintain and hit mostly hill sets leading up to the event.
:lmao: Doing 75+ is utterly amazing to me. How do you fuel yourself over that duration of a time, and do you have any tips?
Not that big a deal really. Maybe take down a gu every hour or so. Stop at probably two rest stops to hammer cookies and trail mix and other crap like that. Try to walk the delicate balancing act between having to pee and staying hydrated. Hardest part is staying hydrated. I am too nervous to drink in the peloton so I usually don't hit the bottles till the group breaks up at about halfway through. The best thing about large group rides is that we stop at lights. I can take down a half bottle in under 20 seconds and will do that at each light. This ride doesn't stop and is/will be faster than my group ride. I expect to do the first 30 miles in about an hour and ten to fifteen minutes. As soon as we hit the halfway point I'd expect to probably drop the lead group or two and settle into a 20-22mph pace with my homeboys.I've done the whole camelback thing, but I don't really like it for the back takes enough stress just riding along. Adding another 2L of water up there is a little dicey.

Nice job everyone. I got in a fast 3 miler this morning. Almost too fast as I was having to kick it to stay up with my group. My group has decided to do the HH Novice 2 instead of the Novice 1 starting June 6th. We want to run in the mornings and that will allow us to but then the weekend runs are longer.

Although if somebody is prone to muscle cramping- not stitches in the side- chances are they need to alter their daily diet to get enough water/electrolytes, regardless of what they're consuming during their workout.

and I learned that at 1:30 the body starts to pull carbs from fat/muscle, rather than food/drink fuel sources. so that these really long runs are great ways to get some fat-burn going- as long as you don't fuel up too heavily afterwards.
You don't necessarily need the Gatorade for fuel, but you do need something like it to replace electrolytes. If you're watching calories, consider Propel (????? shows how closely I'm watching their commercials lol...one shows an Asian chick curling dumbells, her left arm massively pumped, cuz she's curling 50lbs with that arm, and only 10lbs on the right side..."10 < 50"...Propel only has 10cal to Gatorade's 50) instead. It is possible to drink too much water (ask that radio contestant in Sacramento a couple months ago who died after drinking a few gallons). The reason why it's dangerous is that it puts your electrolyte balance out of whack. It may not be a big deal if you're in Chicago and only running 5miles, but doing a marathon in Phoenix it becomes a concern.If you're watching calories and wish to stick with only water, at least consider bananas and salting your food.

Did 4miles last night. Was a few seconds faster than Saturday's loops, but it didn't feel as smooth as Saturday's. Difference might be that last night was run in the dark. :lmao: I-T didn't nag til late in the run. :thumbdown: However, it's nagging a little today (I didn't do an ice bath last night). Was thinking of a run this evening, but we have a wind advisory going on, with 45mph gusts expected. Unless I can find a downwind course, I think I'd be screwed. lol

You don't necessarily need the Gatorade for fuel, but you do need something like it to replace electrolytes. If you're watching calories, consider Propel (????? shows how closely I'm watching their commercials lol...one shows an Asian chick curling dumbells, her left arm massively pumped, cuz she's curling 50lbs with that arm, and only 10lbs on the right side..."10 < 50"...Propel only has 10cal to Gatorade's 50) instead. It is possible to drink too much water (ask that radio contestant in Sacramento a couple months ago who died after drinking a few gallons). The reason why it's dangerous is that it puts your electrolyte balance out of whack. It may not be a big deal if you're in Chicago and only running 5miles, but doing a marathon in Phoenix it becomes a concern.If you're watching calories and wish to stick with only water, at least consider bananas and salting your food.
Yeah- if cramps are a problem on shorter workouts- you need more electroyltes in your diet- not your workout diet. You only need electrolyte replacement for the longer workouts and races. Or are we saying the same thing?

I pulled my calf muscle running on a cheap treadmill yesterday. Hurts to even walk. I used to run at a competitive level and still I'm in decent shape, wasn't going that fast for me and was 15 minutes into the run. In all my years running, I got sore muscles from distance runs but never pulled anything outside of a speed workout.

Anyone experience this with treadmills? I try to limit running on them because it never feels natural and I think it messes with my stride. Maybe I was: a) striding improperly, b) in worse shape than I thought - but I still run 3-4 miles 3-4 times a week or c) I'm just getting old :D

If you use chocolate Gu, the runs will go into the hours and possibly days.

I pulled my calf muscle running on a cheap treadmill yesterday. Hurts to even walk. I used to run at a competitive level and still I'm in decent shape, wasn't going that fast for me and was 15 minutes into the run. In all my years running, I got sore muscles from distance runs but never pulled anything outside of a speed workout. Anyone experience this with treadmills? I try to limit running on them because it never feels natural and I think it messes with my stride. Maybe I was: a) striding improperly, b) in worse shape than I thought - but I still run 3-4 miles 3-4 times a week or c) I'm just getting old :lmao:
Only time I've strained anything recently was trying to push to hard on the bike- on the trainer (single leg drills in the big ring), which is kind of the equivalent of running on a treadmill. Definitely didn't pull it though- that must kill.I would imagine it's more a product of (a) for you- for the same reasons you stated. Sucks, man- time to shut things down for a week or so most likely and come back slowly. At least it's warming up so you don't have to bother with the treadmill.

I pulled my calf muscle running on a cheap treadmill yesterday. Hurts to even walk. I used to run at a competitive level and still I'm in decent shape, wasn't going that fast for me and was 15 minutes into the run. In all my years running, I got sore muscles from distance runs but never pulled anything outside of a speed workout. Anyone experience this with treadmills? I try to limit running on them because it never feels natural and I think it messes with my stride. Maybe I was: a) striding improperly, b) in worse shape than I thought - but I still run 3-4 miles 3-4 times a week or c) I'm just getting old :cry:
So Sorry to hear koby. I'm just coming off of a strained and/or torn gastrocnemius (calf muscle). I was out for a little over six weeks. Mine was injured during an 18 miler (getting ready for the Houston Marathon), where I felt waaaay too good and ran waaaay too fast (for me). DON'T stretch the calf at this point, as you will only hurt it more. R.I.C.E. is the best medicine at this point. This was my second calf injury in two years (both at the end of a long and hard run = I'm an idiot to have done it again). Be careful coming back. Start w/ short distances, going slow to build strength. My physical therapist (this happens when you're old) has worked on me stretching my hamstrings, as tight hammies are often the cause of injured calf muscles. Hang in there, as you'll be back at it before you know it. ~Liquors :)

No run for me today. My knee still feels a little sore so I went for a bike instead. I had no idea what my route was - I just left the house and pedaled until I felt like I needed to turn around.

My legs feel 100x better tonight then they've felt after a run. I just took a peek at mapmyrun.com and I put in 10.39 miles. I swore it was no more than 5 or 6. I might try and mix in some more biking.

The one thing I noticed that I was hoping some of the bikers in here could answer. How much more do you have to put in to the bike to equal a similar workout as a 3 or 4 mile run? I feel way more refreshed tonight then at any point since I've gotten back into running... :)

No run for me today. My knee still feels a little sore so I went for a bike instead. I had no idea what my route was - I just left the house and pedaled until I felt like I needed to turn around.

My legs feel 100x better tonight then they've felt after a run. I just took a peek at mapmyrun.com and I put in 10.39 miles. I swore it was no more than 5 or 6. I might try and mix in some more biking.

The one thing I noticed that I was hoping some of the bikers in here could answer. How much more do you have to put in to the bike to equal a similar workout as a 3 or 4 mile run? I feel way more refreshed tonight then at any point since I've gotten back into running... :lmao:
We had this discussion about a month ago, though I can't remember which thread it was in. What we did learn, is that for Culdeus, and other serious bikers, the bike to run ratio was much higher than for others (I believe it was approximately 5 miles on the bike = 1 mile run). For myself, at an all-out effort, I run 8 miles in one hour, and can bike 22. My effort (monitored heartrate) to bike in one hour is just slightly less than my run = I'm probably about a 3 to 1 ratio. I'm guessing this won't help much as it seems that this ratio may vary greatly by individual. Research does suggest (as per Friel's "The Triathlon Bible") that there is little carry-over between running/swimming and biking. This means that biking the equivalent effort as you have on a run, won't necessarily help you train for running (= won't help increase your endurance). I don't quite buy this, as I've often substituted biking for runs, and seem to be able to maintain my endurance (i.e., during marathon training, I run 4 days a week; during triathlon training I only run 2 times a week; and my overall running abilities don't decline much).

Meh, 39mph wind gusts, a ton of dust in the air....I think I'll pass tonight, and run tomorrow. Tomorrow was to be an off day anyhow, so swapping today for tomorrow is no biggie.

KTM - echoing earlier comments, I'd say the substitute for a 3-4 mile run is maybe a 12-15 mile bike. But ...I agree that biking doesn't really substitute for running. The body's necessary adjustments for the pounding of a run cannot be achieved from biking, IMO. I have a sense that the muscle development from strong run training can help in powering the bike (though plenty of time on the cycle is still necessary) ...and I'm eager to see if this is the case following my May marathon.

Koby, sorry to hear about the injury. Did you pull the calf, versus "popping" it? (hopefully) I popped a calf a few years ago, and it was over a year before I really felt that it was fully healed. Just be careful with a calf injury. Seems like those and the hammies heal slowly. It's a good reminder for all of us to find some free seconds a few times a week to stand with the balls of our feet on the edge of a stair and drop the heels down to stretch the calves.

Well, things are not going well for me. After my 7 mile run on Sunday my left knee really ached, and then tonight I had to quit after 1.75 miles due to the pain. This is a new thing for me, so I have no idea what to do. The pain is mostly on the outside of the knee, and also in the patellar tendon area. I iced it for about an hour after my short run tonight, but it still hurts like crazy.

This sucks.

Bad.

Well, things are not going well for me. After my 7 mile run on Sunday my left knee really ached, and then tonight I had to quit after 1.75 miles due to the pain. This is a new thing for me, so I have no idea what to do. The pain is mostly on the outside of the knee, and also in the patellar tendon area. I iced it for about an hour after my short run tonight, but it still hurts like crazy. This sucks. Bad.
Sounds like how my I-T started. Just above and also to the outside of the kneecap (12 o'clock and 1-2 o'clock). A couple weeks later, just before my last marathon, it started going up the outside and turning on the lightbulb for me -- "hey this might be I-T". However, the pain went away fairly quickly.Sounds like a trip to the doc might be in order.

Well, things are not going well for me. After my 7 mile run on Sunday my left knee really ached, and then tonight I had to quit after 1.75 miles due to the pain. This is a new thing for me, so I have no idea what to do. The pain is mostly on the outside of the knee, and also in the patellar tendon area. I iced it for about an hour after my short run tonight, but it still hurts like crazy. This sucks. Bad.
Sounds like how my I-T started. Just above and also to the outside of the kneecap (12 o'clock and 1-2 o'clock). A couple weeks later, just before my last marathon, it started going up the outside and turning on the lightbulb for me -- "hey this might be I-T". However, the pain went away fairly quickly.Sounds like a trip to the doc might be in order.
:) I dig my own holes with my injuries by not going to the doctor early. Don't be me.eta: really sorry to hear things are hurting- hope you can shut things down for a little just to be safe.

:boxing: I dig my own holes with my injuries by not going to the doctor early. Don't be me.eta: really sorry to hear things are hurting- hope you can shut things down for a little just to be safe.
I can, but I don't want to. :)

I owe some updates but was on the road and didn't have my laptop and the blackberry is pretty limited.

Last Wednesday ran 3 miles outside.

Last Friday 2 miles outside.

Last Sunday 3 miles outside.

Yesterday 3.25 miles outside.

I was in the deep south for some of these runs. I learned a few things somewhat in this order...

1. Humidity is not that much fun when running and running in the morning is best when it is hot out (I knew this but it was reconfirmed).

2. I don't get as much push off my back foot as I think I should. I think this is from treadmill running.

3. When I get tired, I shorten my stride. This is probably also from treadmill running I think.

4. Thinking about your stride when you are running is the suck. The more you think about running the less you want to do it.

5. Thinking about anything other than running makes the run go much faster. So, running a different route each time or running in an interesting area is best.

6. You can't run for certain a different route and get your miles in until you have a consistent pace and can go by time.

7. I am faster off the treadmill than on.

Feel free to comment.

I am impressed with what everyone has been doing and would just like to say that this thread crossed my mind more than once when I was thinking about not running or thinking about not running as much or when I was thinking about stopping and walking, etc. Thanks for the support and keep up the good work!

I pulled my calf muscle running on a cheap treadmill yesterday. Hurts to even walk. I used to run at a competitive level and still I'm in decent shape, wasn't going that fast for me and was 15 minutes into the run. In all my years running, I got sore muscles from distance runs but never pulled anything outside of a speed workout. Anyone experience this with treadmills? I try to limit running on them because it never feels natural and I think it messes with my stride. Maybe I was: a) striding improperly, b) in worse shape than I thought - but I still run 3-4 miles 3-4 times a week or c) I'm just getting old <_<
Only time I've strained anything recently was trying to push to hard on the bike- on the trainer (single leg drills in the big ring), which is kind of the equivalent of running on a treadmill. Definitely didn't pull it though- that must kill.I would imagine it's more a product of (a) for you- for the same reasons you stated. Sucks, man- time to shut things down for a week or so most likely and come back slowly. At least it's warming up so you don't have to bother with the treadmill.
Yeah it's starting to feel much better. I'll probably try to run again this weekend. So I think it was just a strain and not a pop. Scary though, cause like I said, I've never had that experience in a non-speed type workout. I was running at my comfortable distance pace. It must have been adjusting my stride cause I wasn't comfortable with how the belt moved. Thanks for the input. Back to running outside

I owe some updates but was on the road and didn't have my laptop and the blackberry is pretty limited.Last Wednesday ran 3 miles outside.Last Friday 2 miles outside.Last Sunday 3 miles outside.Yesterday 3.25 miles outside.I was in the deep south for some of these runs. I learned a few things somewhat in this order...1. Humidity is not that much fun when running and running in the morning is best when it is hot out (I knew this but it was reconfirmed).2. I don't get as much push off my back foot as I think I should. I think this is from treadmill running.3. When I get tired, I shorten my stride. This is probably also from treadmill running I think.4. Thinking about your stride when you are running is the suck. The more you think about running the less you want to do it.5. Thinking about anything other than running makes the run go much faster. So, running a different route each time or running in an interesting area is best.6. You can't run for certain a different route and get your miles in until you have a consistent pace and can go by time. 7. I am faster off the treadmill than on.Feel free to comment.I am impressed with what everyone has been doing and would just like to say that this thread crossed my mind more than once when I was thinking about not running or thinking about not running as much or when I was thinking about stopping and walking, etc. Thanks for the support and keep up the good work!
Sounds like, like myself, you are better off running outside vs. treadmills when you can. As people touched on way in the beginning of the thread, different strokes for different folks when it comes to outside vs. treadmill. I think it messes with my stride and sounds like you're thinking about that too. My other issue is when I run by myself I tend to run faster. So I get tired quicker and don't want to run as long. Probably b/c of what you touch on - thinking about the run while doing it is the suck and I can't wait for it to be over. But when I run with others, I feel better and don't mind running longer. Cause I know someone else is there going through the same thing and we're talking I guess so my mind isn't solely on finishing. So, that is another thing I would recommend trying if you haven't already - running with others. Good luck and keep truckin :whoosh:

I owe some updates but was on the road and didn't have my laptop and the blackberry is pretty limited.Last Wednesday ran 3 miles outside.Last Friday 2 miles outside.Last Sunday 3 miles outside.Yesterday 3.25 miles outside.I was in the deep south for some of these runs. I learned a few things somewhat in this order...1. Humidity is not that much fun when running and running in the morning is best when it is hot out (I knew this but it was reconfirmed).2. I don't get as much push off my back foot as I think I should. I think this is from treadmill running.3. When I get tired, I shorten my stride. This is probably also from treadmill running I think.4. Thinking about your stride when you are running is the suck. The more you think about running the less you want to do it.5. Thinking about anything other than running makes the run go much faster. So, running a different route each time or running in an interesting area is best.6. You can't run for certain a different route and get your miles in until you have a consistent pace and can go by time. 7. I am faster off the treadmill than on.Feel free to comment.I am impressed with what everyone has been doing and would just like to say that this thread crossed my mind more than once when I was thinking about not running or thinking about not running as much or when I was thinking about stopping and walking, etc. Thanks for the support and keep up the good work!
Sounds like, like myself, you are better off running outside vs. treadmills when you can. As people touched on way in the beginning of the thread, different strokes for different folks when it comes to outside vs. treadmill. I think it messes with my stride and sounds like you're thinking about that too. My other issue is when I run by myself I tend to run faster. So I get tired quicker and don't want to run as long. Probably b/c of what you touch on - thinking about the run while doing it is the suck and I can't wait for it to be over. But when I run with others, I feel better and don't mind running longer. Cause I know someone else is there going through the same thing and we're talking I guess so my mind isn't solely on finishing. So, that is another thing I would recommend trying if you haven't already - running with others. Good luck and keep truckin :lmao:
It is hard to make friends who like to get up early and run and who are as slow as me. But, good advice. I need to talk some neighbors into it.

GStrot - as has been talked about earlier, it would probably help (physically and mentally) to add in some accelerations (or "fartlek" running). As you're running, pick out a spot and pick up the pace a bit ...consciously lengthen the stride, almost exaggerate it, use the arms forward and back in a nice, rhythmic motion. Accelerate from one telephone pole to the next, or the short length of a city block, etc. These will ultimately help to improve your stride and pace. They will also make the run seem much shorter - you'll be digesting how an acceleration went, or recovering from one, or planning when to do the next one. And then all of a sudden you'll realize you've covered your normal miles, or more. The accelerations certainly justify an easier pace for the rest of the run.

Real easy pace with accelerations >> Pushing a pace that's not quite comfortable

GStrot - as has been talked about earlier, it would probably help (physically and mentally) to add in some accelerations (or "fartlek" running). As you're running, pick out a spot and pick up the pace a bit ...consciously lengthen the stride, almost exaggerate it, use the arms forward and back in a nice, rhythmic motion. Accelerate from one telephone pole to the next, or the short length of a city block, etc. These will ultimately help to improve your stride and pace. They will also make the run seem much shorter - you'll be digesting how an acceleration went, or recovering from one, or planning when to do the next one. And then all of a sudden you'll realize you've covered your normal miles, or more. The accelerations certainly justify an easier pace for the rest of the run.Real easy pace with accelerations >> Pushing a pace that's not quite comfortable
:shock:

Did four miles last night. :lmao: I almost ptts'd it again, like I had done Tuesday and Wednesday (windy). I'm planning on doing 12 on Saturday, and really needed to get in a run before then, so I sucked it up and went for a run.

I didn't want to get raped by running my usual canal route in the dark (I went out at 9:30pm, after getting in my fix of Survivor and CSI :lmao: ), so I stuck to the main road near my house. I live in the foothills, so it was a nice downhill/uphill course. I ran downhill a half-mile, then uphill a mile, and back downhill a half, which brought me back to my starting position, then I did it again. The road and shoulder are pretty well sloped, but I think I managed to find the flattest parts and it didn't seem to bother me.

It didn't seem very steep going uphill, but I was FLYING on the way down. lol Gravity r0x0rs sometimes. :D It netted out at about a 9:16 pace, for a total of 37:05. Once again, just a I'm-still-here- :lmao: bit of I-T ache.

I'm pleased with how things are progressing. I just have to watch that I don't get cocky. I registered for the Country Music Marathon, opting for a more conservative 5hours in the "estimated time?" box on the form. The past two marathons, I felt I had a 4hr race in me, and ended up with almost 5hrs, so I'm going for the reverse-psychology effect here. :lol:

I'm pleased with how things are progressing. I just have to watch that I don't get cocky.
We'll hold you to the latter. You can't do what you can't do, so keep listening to your body and don't push it!I'll be doing a couple of weekend runs while out-of-town, probably maxing out at 12 miles also. Kind of weird feeling, now that I've hit the desired training peak of 20 miles ...now it's just keeping slugging away for two more months. Got to the pool this morning for a very good swim, and keeping up on my weekly dose of push-ups and sit-ups/stretches. For whatever reason, I checked my resting pulse this morning: 52! :goodposting: :lmao:

Maybe it's just old age ...

I've fallen off the wagon... busy week, blah. blah. blah.

Going to get another run in this afternoon. And :hophead: after not riding this week, I'm going to do my best to get a ride in on Sunday.

A Whole Foods just opened up a block away- that changes everything! Now I can be fat eating HEALTHY foods.

For whatever reason, I checked my resting pulse this morning: 52!
Whatever reason? You've been training like a mad-man! Nice work- you're half-way to dead with that HR.

Dr. Kenneth Cooper, who wrote the books about aerobics (with oxygen), has done years of research on exercise and the heart. The lowest resting heart rate he has ever evaluated was Hal Higdon, a marathon runner who’s resting heart rate was 28 beats per minute! :lmao: The average resting heart rate is 70-90 beats per minute. The heart of a physically fit person, with a resting heart rate of 50 :lmao: , beats 9,512,000 times less per year than an average person’s heart with a resting heart rate of 70 beats per minute. The better shape you are in, the lower your resting heart rate will be.

I've been poor about updating my runs here, and more importantly encouraging everyone else. I blame Franknbeans - his threads distract me everytime I come to the FFA...

Great job, GStrot, on getting your runs in. Looks like you are increasing distance as well. :drive:

Roarin, Floppo & Tri - keep grinding it out! :thumbup:

Sorry to hear about the injuries to Schmegma and Koby - I hope you are both continuing to improve.

I did 4 on the treadmill last Thursday, as well as about 3.25 Tuesday and 4 yesterday. Ran outside over the weekend - 6 on Sat and 10 on Sunday (same as the previous weekend). My time "improved" by 4 seconds on the 6 mile, but I was WAY too fast on the front half (23:03) so had to slow it down on the second half. I am really focused on even or negative splits, so that made the run a "poor" run in my book. The 10 mile was much better: even pace for most of the run, and my last mile was 40 seconds faster than my first. Very happy with that.

Assuming I run on Saturday, I'll have 17 runs in March - I've had that level of consistency only two other months over the last five years (both in 2004 during Chicago Marathon training). I thank all of you for your help in this department - this thread has made a big difference!!

Another thing I just started doing is push-ups and sit-ups. I think it was the Master Cleanse dude that finally got me thinking I need to incorporate these into my routine (for some reason I HATE doing them). Today was day three and I'm feeling it in my abs and my lats (??) quite a bit.

Final bit of motivation for me - I weighed in at 197.6 this morning, my lightest morning weigh-in so far. I know I'll bounce back up a bit, but it was good to see that number on the scale!

Have a good weekend running / biking / swimming everyone!!

Just did 12. Someone please shoot me, put me out of my misery. :bye:

Did the first five at a 9:30 pace. It only felt 'ok'. Legs felt kinda heavy, sluggish, but otherwise, really no indication of the wall I was about to crash into. After seven, I started ptts-ing and looking for reasons to walk (gotta cross a street, walk from here to that tree, etc). If only that hot blonde was running in the same direction as me, then I would have had reason to suck it up better. :D Alas, we were just two ships that passed in the night. :lmao:

The only difference from the eight last week was that this was all on a canal bank, so I was all by myself. No distractions of vehicles going by, differing scenery, etc. It might have been similar to the boredom some of you feel on the treadmill. Also, it might have been a little warmer today. I'm fairly certain I'm a cool weather runner, so I'm going to have to start out at 6am from here on out (about 8:30am today), especially since we'll be back to 90 this week. I suppose I could also track down my old TNT coach, then I'd be able to run with a group.

My wife met me at five with some Gatorade, but I probably should have taken some gels along as well. Uggghhh, too much to remember!!! lol

I've taken my ice bath, and gotten something to eat. Slowly getting back some energy. lol

Users who are viewing this thread