What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (9 Viewers)

Week 1 of my HM training cycle and I've decided I hate running :lmao:

Stupid weather is forcing me inside, when I'm outside it's soppy and super windy, and I'm apparently way out of shape for anything fast. Here we go again :boxing:

Well, now I'm sick. Ive felt run down for multiple days, but just chalked it up to life. Good news is that likely explains why my last couple hard runs have been terrible and my ridiculous sweating in the cold.

I'm still sick. I was feeling a little better for a day or 2 but now it's back. My oldest (patient zero of this thing) was better for about 4 days but is now rocking a 104 temp.

I'm just running through it at this point, which is miserable. This springs HM is going to be pretty bad, but fortunately I am just doing it to maintain my fitness for my fall FM. I did have dreams of squeezing out a small PR, but that is now tabled.

I had a much needed mental boost Monday night. Was feeling a bit run down and unmotivated with my training (didn't help that 20 minutes at goal HM pace last week felt pretty hard). For whatever reason I just nailed the speedwork and felt really strong. I guess time will tell whether it's a one off or a bump in fitness.

On the other hand, we got 8 inches of snow yesterday and every day for the next week is going to see a freeze thaw cycle, so between that and personal schedule I'm trying to figure out how I get my next run in.

I'm pretty much back to normal routines after a choppy couple of months of illness and assorted injuries. Keeping paces slow, but adding in a brisk burst near the end of some of the runs just to remember. My Medicare supplement from Humana comes with a Silver Sneakers program, and I signed up for a free membership at a nearby athletic club with an indoor track (10 laps/mile) ...kind of waiting for a bad weather day so I can give it a spin and/or check their weight room/fitness machines.

Since I've shut down the running, I've joked about being fat... But was basically just out of shape, not heavier per se.

Not any more. I'm the skinny-ish ("ish" being the operable part) guy with a belly now.

:kicksrock:

All I need is to grow out my thinning hair and do a bald patch and pony tail to round out the look.

Oh.. hai.

Have any of you loonies tried one of these? https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=111175

Death by 5k is coming back to Oak Mountain State Park for year 3!

RunStrong Event's signature 24 hour challenge, Death by 5k requires participants to run ten 5ks, starting each 5k spaced 2.5 hours apart. The first 5k starts at 8 am, and subsequent 5ks start at 1030, 1, 330, 6, 830, 11, 130, 4, and 630 am. Participants need to be present at the start of each 5k, and have that 5k finished prior to the start of the subsequent 5k. This challenge is designed to test participants mentally and physically with physical fatigue, sleep deprivation, and running in the dark. (Headlamps, hand lights, or some other form of illumination will be required)

Death by 5k Oak Mountain will start and finish near the Dogwood Pavilion at the South Trailhead.. The course will start on the Lake Trail, then continue onto Rattlesnake Ridge, making a counterclockwise loop back to the start.

In between each 5k, participants will be able to sleep in their vehicles in the parking lot or to set up tent camping in the grass camping field across the road from the parking lot. Tent camping sites will be first come first served and will be $20/night with a maximum of 4 people per campsite. People wishing to camp will need to stop at the Oak Mountain park entrance and fill out the standard camping paperwork. This camping will be available both Friday and Saturday nights of race weekend. The tent camping area has a bathroom and at least 4 electrical poles that will be available to everyone camping. (You'll have to share them, in other words) Truck campers and camper vans can be parked in the parking lot, but must take up only one parking spot. There is no camping fee for the parking lot, just for tent camping in the green camping space.

Participants will be required to pay the $5 entry fee to Oak Mountain unless they have a season pass or have paid for a campsite, which includes this fee.

There will be 5 meals, each including hot food, served over the course of the event. Meal times will be 830a, 130p, 630p, 1130p, and 420a., along with plenty of snack food and drinks throughout the event. You will not go hungry or at a RunStrong Event.

Participants will receive an event shirt. Finishers will receive one of our coveted, custom made coffins.

Registration will be limited initially to 100 participants. After that, a waitlist will be enabled and we will open spots if/when they become available or if we decide to expand the field.

For info on our other Death by 5k events, visit www.deathby5k.com

Have any of you loonies tried one of these? https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=111175

Death by 5k is coming back to Oak Mountain State Park for year 3!

RunStrong Event's signature 24 hour challenge, Death by 5k requires participants to run ten 5ks, starting each 5k spaced 2.5 hours apart. The first 5k starts at 8 am, and subsequent 5ks start at 1030, 1, 330, 6, 830, 11, 130, 4, and 630 am. Participants need to be present at the start of each 5k, and have that 5k finished prior to the start of the subsequent 5k. This challenge is designed to test participants mentally and physically with physical fatigue, sleep deprivation, and running in the dark. (Headlamps, hand lights, or some other form of illumination will be required)

Death by 5k Oak Mountain will start and finish near the Dogwood Pavilion at the South Trailhead.. The course will start on the Lake Trail, then continue onto Rattlesnake Ridge, making a counterclockwise loop back to the start.

In between each 5k, participants will be able to sleep in their vehicles in the parking lot or to set up tent camping in the grass camping field across the road from the parking lot. Tent camping sites will be first come first served and will be $20/night with a maximum of 4 people per campsite. People wishing to camp will need to stop at the Oak Mountain park entrance and fill out the standard camping paperwork. This camping will be available both Friday and Saturday nights of race weekend. The tent camping area has a bathroom and at least 4 electrical poles that will be available to everyone camping. (You'll have to share them, in other words) Truck campers and camper vans can be parked in the parking lot, but must take up only one parking spot. There is no camping fee for the parking lot, just for tent camping in the green camping space.

Participants will be required to pay the $5 entry fee to Oak Mountain unless they have a season pass or have paid for a campsite, which includes this fee.

There will be 5 meals, each including hot food, served over the course of the event. Meal times will be 830a, 130p, 630p, 1130p, and 420a., along with plenty of snack food and drinks throughout the event. You will not go hungry or at a RunStrong Event.

Participants will receive an event shirt. Finishers will receive one of our coveted, custom made coffins.

Registration will be limited initially to 100 participants. After that, a waitlist will be enabled and we will open spots if/when they become available or if we decide to expand the field.

For info on our other Death by 5k events, visit www.deathby5k.com
Shorter version of Goggins 4x4x48.

Is it a trail run? Sounds miserable in the dark. But I have weak ankles.

Hey guys, not going to do a full RR, but I tackled my WSER qualifier in about as ugly a fashion as possible over this past weekend.

Ran the "Tarawera TUM102" Ultra. The course was a revision from standard, so it was lengthened a bit to 105K, with a bit less elevation (2,600m). By the numbers, easier than Miwok, so I figured I could count on a 14-15hr race. Easily under the 17hr cutoff for the WSER lottery.

Well, it didn't go as planned. Temps and humidity were not brutal, but higher than Miwok. I usually drink Tailwind (sugar/carbs/caffeine), but at the aid stations they only had "Naak" (sugar/protein). Furthermore, no Oreos. No cookies of any kind. So the dumbass that I am, I just ate Naak waffles, and drank the Naak drink. On top of not having my usual pre-race breakfast (cereal instead of a bagel). So with the increased temps, humidity, non-standard breakfast and race fueling -- guess what happened?

Yup, gut issues. After 30K or so, it started to come on strong, and I was having to walk sections I should have been able to run. And it got bad enough that on the uphills (usually my strength), I was stopping every 100m or so to fight back the barf. Thankfully I could still run downhills, and run/walk the flats without barfing. But with every uphill I was hands-to-knees trying to keep the few sips of fluid I was getting in me. Lots of runners stopping and offering to help as they passed me.

I kept losing time to my pace sheet, and it was becoming clear that not only was 14-15 hours off the table, but I was risking 17hrs as well. I spent the last 20K forcing myself to run as much as I could, telling myself that running a few Ks now would save me having to run 100K (another qualifier) later this year. I pushed and pushed through the last 7K, taking only a minute at the last aid station for a few sips of Mountain Dew (only thing that didn't make me feel like barfing), and crossed the finish line about 5 minutes before WSER cutoff.

As I posted on Strava, it was my worst race performance and best effort ever. The urge to quit on this one was immense: Both to DNF (and end the misery), and at a minimum to give up on the 17hrs and walk it in.

And kudos to my wife, who raced her longest distance ever (25K) on the same course (last 1/4 of it) on the same day, and then turned around and left her dinner to emergency crew me at the 80K aid station because I needed batteries for my headlamp (didn't plan on needing them, but 2+ more hours in the dark because I was behind schedule made that a requirement). Had she not saved the day, I would not have been able to run the downhills in the last 20K without light, and missed my cutoff. Crews matter.

Anyways, crossed the finish line (it's all a blur at this point), and I must have looked pretty bad because the medical staff grabbed me right away. Weighed me, and I had lost 6.5kg (14lbs) compared to my weight at checkin. Body temp down to 95. So I sat in the medical tent for (what felt like) an eternity until I successfully negotiated my release.

We spent a week in New Zealand with a group of friends, using this race as an excuse. There were nine of us. My usual running buddy (who had a great race on the 105K), and then seven others who attempted their first HM (25K/400m), including my wife. All of them finished. It was a fantastic dinner to close out the trip, when we toasted the nine of us -- all who set distance PRs the day before (even me, albeit in ugly fashion!).

Now I have Boston in Apr, which I fully intend to just "fun run". Not racing that. Ankle is still in rough shape (this ultra blew it up real good), and I would actually just DNS Boston were it not for the fact that I would never get in again.

And kudos to my wife, who raced her longest distance ever (25K) on the same course (last 1/4 of it) on the same day, and then turned around and left her dinner to emergency crew me at the 80K aid station because I needed batteries for my headlamp (didn't plan on needing them, but 2+ more hours in the dark because I was behind schedule made that a requirement). Had she not saved the day, I would not have been able to run the downhills in the last 20K without light, and missed my cutoff. Crews matter.
Congrats on persevering through less than ideal conditions and gut issues, but more importantly congrats on marrying well. I hope the ankle heals up quickly and you enjoy your time in New Zealand. If you run into Pete Pfitzinger please pass along a thank you from this thread.

Hey guys, not going to do a full RR, but I tackled my WSER qualifier in about as ugly a fashion as possible over this past weekend.

Ran the "Tarawera TUM102" Ultra. The course was a revision from standard, so it was lengthened a bit to 105K, with a bit less elevation (2,600m). By the numbers, easier than Miwok, so I figured I could count on a 14-15hr race. Easily under the 17hr cutoff for the WSER lottery.

Well, it didn't go as planned. Temps and humidity were not brutal, but higher than Miwok. I usually drink Tailwind (sugar/carbs/caffeine), but at the aid stations they only had "Naak" (sugar/protein). Furthermore, no Oreos. No cookies of any kind. So the dumbass that I am, I just ate Naak waffles, and drank the Naak drink. On top of not having my usual pre-race breakfast (cereal instead of a bagel). So with the increased temps, humidity, non-standard breakfast and race fueling -- guess what happened?

Yup, gut issues. After 30K or so, it started to come on strong, and I was having to walk sections I should have been able to run. And it got bad enough that on the uphills (usually my strength), I was stopping every 100m or so to fight back the barf. Thankfully I could still run downhills, and run/walk the flats without barfing. But with every uphill I was hands-to-knees trying to keep the few sips of fluid I was getting in me. Lots of runners stopping and offering to help as they passed me.

I kept losing time to my pace sheet, and it was becoming clear that not only was 14-15 hours off the table, but I was risking 17hrs as well. I spent the last 20K forcing myself to run as much as I could, telling myself that running a few Ks now would save me having to run 100K (another qualifier) later this year. I pushed and pushed through the last 7K, taking only a minute at the last aid station for a few sips of Mountain Dew (only thing that didn't make me feel like barfing), and crossed the finish line about 5 minutes before WSER cutoff.

As I posted on Strava, it was my worst race performance and best effort ever. The urge to quit on this one was immense: Both to DNF (and end the misery), and at a minimum to give up on the 17hrs and walk it in.

Anyways, crossed the finish line (it's all a blur at this point), and I must have looked pretty bad because the medical staff grabbed me right away. Weighed me, and I had lost 6.5kg (14lbs) compared to my weight at checkin. Body temp down to 95. So I sat in the medical tent for (what felt like) an eternity until I successfully negotiated my release.

We spent a week in New Zealand with a group of friends, using this race as an excuse. There were nine of us. My usual running buddy (who had a great race on the 105K), and then seven others who attempted their first HM (25K/400m), including my wife. All of them finished. It was a fantastic dinner to close out the trip, when we toasted the nine of us -- all who set distance PRs the day before (even me, albeit in ugly fashion!).

Now I have Boston in Apr, which I fully intend to just "fun run". Not racing that. Ankle is still in rough shape (this ultra blew it up real good), and I would actually just DNS Boston were it not for the fact that I would never get in again.

Congrats on pushing through. Your distances are ridiculous as is and then to fight through the gut issues is even more impressive. Even though it didn't go the way you planned (I imagine anything at this distance never will), you still came away with what you needed. Glad it ended in success for your crew!

:loco: It's a shame you didn't get the day that you wanted, but crazy impressive for you to manage a qualifier when you had to fight your body so much. Congrats on the BMFery.

Such a BMF performance.

It's easy to run well when you feel good. But to get a Western States qualifier while dealing with gut issues for 70+K? Crazy strong mentally and physically. Kudos to you sir!

:loco: It's a shame you didn't get the day that you wanted, but crazy impressive for you to manage a qualifier when you had to fight your body so much. Congrats on the BMFery.
To channel @SFBayDuck :

Zasada: This is not the day I wanted!
Duck: But it's the day you got.

Dude, congrats! Way to "gut" this one out. I'm too fat and out of shape to pace anyone but Summit on walks, but go get picked in the lottery in December so I can chase you around the Canyons and show your feet all the love that @tri-man 47 taught me!

Dude, congrats! Way to "gut" this one out. I'm too fat and out of shape to pace anyone but Summit on walks, but go get picked in the lottery in December so I can chase you around the Canyons and show your feet all the love that @tri-man 47 taught me!

Thanks! This will be year three for me in the lottery. So probably still 2-3 more years of qualifying before I have a real shot.

Quick question for you -- I was thinking of running Canyons. How much of that course overlaps with WSER? Feels like it would be a good way to "practice" for the latter.

Thanks! This will be year three for me in the lottery. So probably still 2-3 more years of qualifying before I have a real shot.

Quick question for you -- I was thinking of running Canyons. How much of that course overlaps with WSER? Feels like it would be a good way to "practice" for the latter.
It used to be entirely on the course - from Foresthill up through Michigan Bluff, down Devil’s Thumb to the bridge and then back again to Foresthill, then down Cal St section to Rucky Chucky and back. So you basically ran 31 miles of the course, including the toughest part of the canyons, in two out and backs. But I’m pretty sure they’ve changed it the past few years (starts and ends in Auburn maybe?). I’ll take a look when I get the chance.

It used to be entirely on the course - from Foresthill up through Michigan Bluff, down Devil’s Thumb to the bridge and then back again to Foresthill, then down Cal St section to Rucky Chucky and back. So you basically ran 31 miles of the course, including the toughest part of the canyons, in two out and backs. But I’m pretty sure they’ve changed it the past few years (starts and ends in Auburn maybe?). I’ll take a look when I get the chance.

Alright, from what I can tell it starts near the course, up in the canyons. It joins the WS course somewhere around/at Deadwood and heads up to Devil's Thumb, down to the bridge and back up again. Then down El Dorado Canyon, up to Michigan Bluff, down Volcano Canyon and up to Foresthill. Then you head down Cal St to what looks to be at/near Rucky Chucky, and at that point you leave the WS course (no river crossing). The last 15 miles or so I'm not exactly sure, might be some of the same trails as Way Too Cool, but it does in fact end in downtown Auburn.

All that to say that you effectively do the same amount of the WS course with this new route, with the only out-and-back section being Deadwood-Devil's Thumb-Swinging Bridge and back.

Alright, from what I can tell it starts near the course, up in the canyons. It joins the WS course somewhere around/at Deadwood and heads up to Devil's Thumb, down to the bridge and back up again. Then down El Dorado Canyon, up to Michigan Bluff, down Volcano Canyon and up to Foresthill. Then you head down Cal St to what looks to be at/near Rucky Chucky, and at that point you leave the WS course (no river crossing). The last 15 miles or so I'm not exactly sure, might be some of the same trails as Way Too Cool, but it does in fact end in downtown Auburn.

All that to say that you effectively do the same amount of the WS course with this new route, with the only out-and-back section being Deadwood-Devil's Thumb-Swinging Bridge and back.
And @Zasada , if you need someone to temporarily lead you off-course early on ...I'm your guy.

My name is ChiefD and I used to be a runner.........

So...here is a quick update. We are moving to Wisconsin. I have accepted a job with a company up in Rhinelander. It is in the northern part of the state and surrounding by a ton of great fishing water.

So why Wisconsin?

1. My wife and I want to retire up there someday, so this allows us to find a place and gives me time while my body can still handle working on a house if necessary. That way by the time we retire we have our house the way we want it.

2. My 18 year old son will be going to college in Meqoun, WI, which is about 3.5 hours away. He will be kicking for the football team there, so this will allow us to see all of his games. Which we would not have been able to do staying in Kansas City.

3. My 16 year old son, as you all know, LOVES fishing. His plan after high school was to move up there anyway and pursue a career in the trades. This allows him a couple years to start establishing some contacts and relationships with people of there. On top of that the high school there has apprenticeships programs with local trades that starts the junior year. So part of their curriculum is that he can be an apprentice somewhere and get out of school earlier to work and learn a trade.

He also plays hockey, so hockey + fishing = a happy kid

4. My daughter hates the hot summers here. And I am getting that way as well. She will be starting high school this fall so we figure better now so she can start fresh as a freshman up there.

5. @gruecd is up there. And @Alex P Keaton . Will be nice to have a couple guys to show me where to buy cheese and brats,

All of these forces have somehow converged at the same time. Which we take as a sign that now is the time to make the move. We've talked about this for years, so we've done an abundance of research and all that. The other nice thing is my brother in Chicago is only about 4.5 hours away, so I'll be able to see him more and also see my nephew play college soccer at DePaul.

The running has been non-existent. As you all are probably aware from my lack of Strava action. I've had too much going on honestly - at this point I'm trying to get the house ready for sale. We will be putting it on the market at the mid-end of March.

I'll be heading to Rhinelander in mid to late April to start the new job, and the rest of the family will come up after my sons high school graduation in late May. We just need to find a place up there as soon as we can. I'll get a jump on that being there in April.

Anyway, the family is excited. My wife and I are excited, nervous, and scared as hell. :lol:

My name is ChiefD and I used to be a runner.........

So...here is a quick update. We are moving to Wisconsin. I have accepted a job with a company up in Rhinelander. It is in the northern part of the state and surrounding by a ton of great fishing water.

So why Wisconsin?

1. My wife and I want to retire up there someday, so this allows us to find a place and gives me time while my body can still handle working on a house if necessary. That way by the time we retire we have our house the way we want it.

2. My 18 year old son will be going to college in Meqoun, WI, which is about 3.5 hours away. He will be kicking for the football team there, so this will allow us to see all of his games. Which we would not have been able to do staying in Kansas City.

3. My 16 year old son, as you all know, LOVES fishing. His plan after high school was to move up there anyway and pursue a career in the trades. This allows him a couple years to start establishing some contacts and relationships with people of there. On top of that the high school there has apprenticeships programs with local trades that starts the junior year. So part of their curriculum is that he can be an apprentice somewhere and get out of school earlier to work and learn a trade.

He also plays hockey, so hockey + fishing = a happy kid

4. My daughter hates the hot summers here. And I am getting that way as well. She will be starting high school this fall so we figure better now so she can start fresh as a freshman up there.

5. @gruecd is up there. And @Alex P Keaton . Will be nice to have a couple guys to show me where to buy cheese and brats,

All of these forces have somehow converged at the same time. Which we take as a sign that now is the time to make the move. We've talked about this for years, so we've done an abundance of research and all that. The other nice thing is my brother in Chicago is only about 4.5 hours away, so I'll be able to see him more and also see my nephew play college soccer at DePaul.

The running has been non-existent. As you all are probably aware from my lack of Strava action. I've had too much going on honestly - at this point I'm trying to get the house ready for sale. We will be putting it on the market at the mid-end of March.

I'll be heading to Rhinelander in mid to late April to start the new job, and the rest of the family will come up after my sons high school graduation in late May. We just need to find a place up there as soon as we can. I'll get a jump on that being there in April.

Anyway, the family is excited. My wife and I are excited, nervous, and scared as hell. :lol:
Awesome!
You’re used to cold in Kansas but that’s a whole different level of cold up there! (I assume it’s similar to the Upper Peninsula).

Awesome!
You’re used to cold in Kansas but that’s a whole different level of cold up there! (I assume it’s similar to the Upper Peninsula).
Yeah, about that cold.... :lol:

Here's the thing - Kansas City is getting hotter and hotter every year. We are supposed to be pushing 80 degrees on Monday here. In February! The weather has been gorgeous here this winter. And this is how it has gone for a while. After this warm stretch we will get down in the upper 40's/low 50's for the rest of the winter til spring really hits in about April.

But the problem is it's ugly here. It's flat and brown and winters are just sad now. I miss the true 4 seasons that we used to have when I was a kid. We barely get snow anymore.

At least up there in the winter we can ice fish. I have two kids that play hockey. We can skate on lakes up there. We can get cross country skis. We can enjoy the snow. Maybe get a couple of snowmobiles.

I like burning a fire in the winter and bunkering down watching sports or reading a book. And I'm ready to explore some new territory.

I have lived in my house for almost 14 years now. This is the longest I have ever lived in a house. When I was young I lived in 9 different houses before I was 13 years old. And it wasn't because of a well traveled family. My childhood was pure hell from about age 9 til I was about 19.

So for me, I get unsettled after a period of time. I've never actually felt "home" - even in this house where we have built a life. I know it sounds weird but it's how I'm wired. But now the kids are growing and ready to spread their wings.

And at the end of the day I want to be near where they will be. I know for sure one of them will end up there, and probably my college bound son as well. My daughter is the wild card - she wants to go to college in North Carolina.

But I want the true 4 seasons again. I want a little bit of property. We will be looking for lakefront if we can find something and if not a couple of acres with a decent house. I wanna be near a plentiful supply of fresh water, as I believe one of the most important fights for my children's children will be access to fresh water. So this piece of property is also a hedge for them to have something like that after we pass.

I'll just need some better boots and a few more Carhartts.

Awesome!
Yeah, about that cold.... :lol:

Here's the thing - Kansas City is getting hotter and hotter every year. We are supposed to be pushing 80 degrees on Monday here. In February! The weather has been gorgeous here this winter. And this is how it has gone for a while. After this warm stretch we will get down in the upper 40's/low 50's for the rest of the winter til spring really hits in about April.

But the problem is it's ugly here. It's flat and brown and winters are just sad now. I miss the true 4 seasons that we used to have when I was a kid. We barely get snow anymore.

At least up there in the winter we can ice fish. I have two kids that play hockey. We can skate on lakes up there. We can get cross country skis. We can enjoy the snow. Maybe get a couple of snowmobiles.

I like burning a fire in the winter and bunkering down watching sports or reading a book. And I'm ready to explore some new territory.

I have lived in my house for almost 14 years now. This is the longest I have ever lived in a house. When I was young I lived in 9 different houses before I was 13 years old. And it wasn't because of a well traveled family. My childhood was pure hell from about age 9 til I was about 19.

So for me, I get unsettled after a period of time. I've never actually felt "home" - even in this house where we have built a life. I know it sounds weird but it's how I'm wired. But now the kids are growing and ready to spread their wings.

And at the end of the day I want to be near where they will be. I know for sure one of them will end up there, and probably my college bound son as well. My daughter is the wild card - she wants to go to college in North Carolina.

But I want the true 4 seasons again. I want a little bit of property. We will be looking for lakefront if we can find something and if not a couple of acres with a decent house. I wanna be near a plentiful supply of fresh water, as I believe one of the most important fights for my children's children will be access to fresh water. So this piece of property is also a hedge for them to have something like that after we pass.

I'll just need some better boots and a few more Carhartts.
Plus, you're only about half hour away from Minocqua. I hear they have a good marathon....

Preach brother!
We’ve been here 9 years now. And my job has basically been the same the whole time - some differences, but legal advisor to the same large Army organization. There have been changes. And I actually like my job. But this is 3 years longer than any place we’ve lived as adults and that includes Kansas where half the time I was an infantry officer, the other half a law student. (Huge change).

I definitely understand the desire to move.

Godspeed!

Anyway, the family is excited. My wife and I are excited, nervous, and scared as hell.

This sounds really awesome. So many things converging to make this the right choice. Very few have that put in front of them. You're going to love it.

Maybe find some local trails to hike (with spikes, I can recommend good ones) or snowshoe (no experience with this). Winter can be cold, but if you dress right and keep a good hiking pace, your body heat keeps you warm. I do just as much trail activity in the winter as the summer.

I'm excited for you!

The other nice thing is my brother in Chicago is only about 4.5 hours away, so I'll be able to see him more and also see my nephew play college soccer at DePaul.

:bye:

As to the latter, stepping outside your comfort zone can be a good thing! So yeah, pretty scary, but ...no regrets. Make the leap, and enjoy. But invest in some new toques.

Very happy for you!

Yesterday I picked a bad day to plan on running after work rather than before. Got tied up a bit and then ended up having to run an hour as it got dark and was pouring. Although, I will say that 50 and raining is pretty conducive to speedwork because your body wants to keep moving. I just wish I had contacts - my eyesight is good enough that I'm not going to crash into anything without my glasses, but it's still a little disorienting.

Good luck to our Tokyo runners this weekend, @SteelCurtain and @gruecd!

Any goals, other than just "taking in the experience"?
So stoked for the boys getting this one.
Primer on the race that starts this evening here on the western hemisphere. Flotrack stream subscription for US viewing or VPN wizardry as best I can tell :sadclown

Good luck to our Tokyo runners this weekend, @SteelCurtain and @gruecd!

Any goals, other than just "taking in the experience"?
Goal is to just finish. I’d love a sub 4, but will be fine if it doesn’t happen. Glute has been in pain the last 36 hours, so just hoping it stays in check.

Thanks for all your support. Guys like @gruecd and @tri-man 47 were helping me on this thread (on the old server) back in late 2010 and early 2011 as i attempted to train for my first marathon. Grateful for all the friendships, experiences and memories I have with people in this group.

Time to go complete marathon #33 and get that 6th star!

Way to go, @gruecd and @SteelCurtain , on completing the sixth world major!!! What an incredible commitment to get that done and to complete the task!!!

:pickle: :pickle:
It was one heck of a journey to be sure.

Although the Tokyo Marathon is "meh" amongst the majors, I will tell you, I absolutely love Japan. The people, the culture, the country -- all wonderful. Its my first time outside of North America or Europe and it has motivated me to try to travel more. Truly inspiring to learn about other cultures.

Many thanks to everyone in here who have motivated me and supported me over the years. It was very cool to hang with a "Ran a 10K" OG @gruecd.

Heading home now....12 hour flight. Ugh.

After 5 months at the same value, Garmin finally gave me a 1 point uptick in VO2Max. :bowtie:
I know the way they calculate it it is a bit squirrely compared to a real test, but it still feels satisfying, and I've had some solid runs lately.
:clap:
FWIW, mine hasn’t changed at all since I bought my Garmin 6 months ago.

Posting it here on the off-chance somebody is interested as it's not horrifically far away for some of you guys. Still no word on the local backyard last man standing event, so I've been mulling over signing up for the 50k of Laurel Highlands on 6/8. Still a decent chunk of 50k slots left. The "main" 70M event has long since been sold out, but that's definitely out of my league anyway.

Pro of me signing up is to make some use of my half training. Con is that I'll probably be a bit undertrained, and while I'm not familiar with the trail it sounds like typical PA nastiness - rocks and roots plus 6000+ ft of elevation over the 50k. It'll probably be pretty humid too, although that bothers me less, especially since by the looks of it there will be substantial hiking sections for me to cool down a bit.

Do you guys ever encounter other runners on your route?

I recently started jogging in Golden Gate Park and some sections are congested. I like to explore little trails and then hop back onto the main strip. Yesterday, there was a guy in the bushes getting ready to pee while looking at the main strip. But then he heard me coming from behind, which startled him into zipping up and running away. He was wearing jeans which also seemed strange. I then jogged out of the woods onto the main strip going the opposite way and happened to end up a few yards behind a woman who was running around 7:30 pace.

To outside observers, this must have been a peculiar scene. Two weirdos suddenly burst out of the bushes and now one of them was stalking a young lady. I didn't want to shadow her but that is a fairly comfortable pace for my current condition and I still had a couple more miles to go. I was slowly closing the gap but she seemed to be straining hard, as one would if being chased by a monster. Once I finally made the pass, she dropped off to safety.

Do you guys ever encounter other runners on your route?
I'm not an early riser so I usually miss the more popular running times, but I'd say I average 2-5 other runners seen on a typical run. I generally try to avoid running behind or passing people for two reasons. One because they will often not realize I am there until I am right next to them, and two because I never want to give someone the impression that I am trying to show them up by passing them. Because of this I'll typically either slightly alter my running route to avoid them (I'm usually running in local neighborhoods, so most times it's easy enough to move one street over), or if I can't reasonably do that I will usually cross to the other side of the street before making the pass. Sometimes on the more remote paths it's unavoidable, in which case I try to make enough noise as I approach that I don't startle them, and then pass allowing them plenty of room while giving a wave or hello. Over the years I have had a woman or two that seemed on edge as I approached, which I feel bad about, but there's only so much one can do.

Users who are viewing this thread