What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ray Rice has to be the biggest bust of 2010 (1 Viewer)

Thumper

Footballguy
Has there been a bigger bust in 2010 than Ray Rice? His ADP was #4 in the first round, but he continues to produce the numbers of a rb who should have been taken as a weak #2 or a solid #3 rb in most leagues.

It seems like every week the Ravens use him differently. Some games he gets all or most of the touches, some games its a 50/50 split with McGahee some games he gets goal line carries, others not, and some game they pass to him and some they don't. Only 2 games with TDs this year. At best he was a RB2 this year which certainly didn't measure up to his draft position. My bigger question is how to value him next year. Is the real Ray Rice the 2009 or 2010 version, or someone in between?

In PPR this year he has been a decent #2 for me. Tonight? He's killing me. Next year I am going to stay away from him, just too unpredictable.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's only one of many who have killed me this year.

My First picks

1. (8) Ray Rice RB

2. (17) Randy Moss WR

3. (32) Roddy White WR

4. (41) Steve Smith WR

5. (56) Jermichael Finley TE

6. (65) Joseph Addai RB

7. (80) Ahmad Bradshaw RB

8. (89) Brett Favre QB

But for a top pick, he may hurt the most. He slid to 8th in this one league and I thought it was a steal... steal for everyone else that is.

MJD likely helped lose your season early with his terrible start of one good game out of the first six.

Gore might have got you to the playoffs but how's that looking for you now?

Chris Johnson has had 4 games with less than ten points and isn't looking like he's going to carry you to victory in the playoffs.

Adrian Peterson has had a few below average games but has lived up to his #2 overall ADP.

That's the rest of your top 5 right there and if you're labeling Rice a bust with this group then there's 3 more that could join him based on the numbers...

Out of the top 24 picks pre-season ADP there are a lot more disappointments than just Ray Rice.

Major disappointment this year. He was supposed to be my number one and when Foster started to heat it up I thought for sure that I was going to have a formidable backfield but not so fast. He has 8 sub par games in our format and 3 TDs. He simply cannot break any runs this year. The big plays he makes- he seems to come up short and they throw it in or use McGahee. I have seen my share of 2 and 3 yard gains. In games when they have a solid matchup, he really disappoints. He is going to be a real bummer in FF playoffs. I hope he does something.

In my 1ppr he's only had 1 real clunker and two other subpar 10 point games. Other than that, and especially the last few week,s he's been very good :towelwave:

No PPR for us. It makes a huge difference.
Anyone drafting him top 5 in NON-ppr had delusions of grandeur, IMO.
In a 1 man keeper league where we only keep a player for one year. Mine was Rice. I drafted him 77th overall last year. I expected more than 3 TDs at this point. Javid Best has more TDs than him. Matt Forte is having a better year. Bottom line- Harbaugh is just trying too hard to get cute with Flacco and it just cost them a division title.

No PPR for us. It makes a huge difference.
Anyone drafting him top 5 in NON-ppr had delusions of grandeur, IMO.
In a 1 man keeper league where we only keep a player for one year. Mine was Rice. I drafted him 77th overall last year. I expected more than 3 TDs at this point. Javid Best has more TDs than him. Matt Forte is having a better year. Bottom line- Harbaugh is just trying too hard to get cute with Flacco and it just cost them a division title.
I should have said standard redraft. Makes sens that you did, cant always predict this.

In my standard 1 PPR (i.e. no bonuses, etc.), he is currently RB7. Considering he was drafted in most PPRs as RB3 or 4, that is just fine production. Consider, Chris Johnson (in the same scoring), a consensus #1, is sitting at RB8, Adrian Peterson, who most likely went #2, is at RB4, and MJD (even with injury), went 3 or 4 in my PPRs, is sitting at RB9 (although he is surging). You could make the arguement (in PPR) that out of the top 4, Rice has been the second closest to attaining his original ADP.

I do agree with NYsportsfan, that if you nabbed Rice that early in a non-PPR, you were taking a big risk. Its not like McGahee went anywhere in the offseason and while he vultured a lot of TD oppys from Rice in 2009.

My First picks

1. (8) Ray Rice RB

2. (17) Randy Moss WR

3. (32) Roddy White WR

4. (41) Steve Smith WR

6. (65) Joseph Addai RB

8. (89) Brett Favre QB

But for a top pick, he may hurt the most. He slid to 8th in this one league and I thought it was a steal... steal for everyone else that is.
I have three people on your list and I made the playoffs with the third highest total points for the year. Bradshaw has produced great for his draft status. Rice has underperformed, but he hasn't been hurt and he has been a reliable RB2. While he hasn't produced like a top 5 pick, he shouldn't have ruined anyone's season. And Roddy White has been amazing. Not sure why you would include him

How have the RB struggles we've seen this season affected everyone's opinion of using a first round pick on a quarterback in non-PPR leagues? Do you think next year will highlight a top 5 RB who lives up to the hype? Or just more disappointment?

I used my first round pick in multiple leagues to enlist the services of a clear #1 QB (Brees or Rodgers) and it's paid off, since I find myself in the playoffs across the board. With Vick clearly competing for that top QB spot at the beginning of next year along with Brees, Rodgers, and Rivers, it's going to be hard to pass up guys who almost always guarantee 16-20 points a week for a RB that may be a complete bust.

My First picks

1. (8) Ray Rice RB

2. (17) Randy Moss WR

3. (32) Roddy White WR

4. (41) Steve Smith WR

6. (65) Joseph Addai RB

8. (89) Brett Favre QB

I have three people on your list and I made the playoffs with the third highest total points for the year. Bradshaw has produced great for his draft status. Rice has underperformed, but he hasn't been hurt and he has been a reliable RB2. While he hasn't produced like a top 5 pick, he shouldn't have ruined anyone's season. And Roddy White has been amazing. Not sure why you would include him
That's my draft through 8 rounds in one league. I bolded the picks who have been disappointments IMO. I didn't miss on all 8 thankfully so if you have 3 of those that include Rice, White and Bradshaw, then you're likely good. If you have 4 of the bolded, then your likely not in good shape like me.

Glad the guy in my main league turned down my offers for Rice during the offseason and at the beginning of this season. The same could

be said about several players I've made overtures about...

Rice has been fine in ppr. He had two bad games against Pitt and did surprising little against Buffalo. Solid other than that.

He is one pace for about 1100 rushing, 65 receptions, and 550 receiving. Now he gets Houston, Saints, and Cleveland in the playoffs. Rice has lived up to his top 5 pick this year in PPR and will probably go there again next year.

Non PPR, what were you expecting? His current numbers seem right in line with most projections.

Hes doing pretty well for how poorly the Ravens use him.

They never run him outside anymore. Hes always open in the underneath and they dump it to him maybe once a game, they rarely run the underneath route for him anymore its usually a run up the middle or a screen behind the line of scrimmage.

He probably would be #1, but hey, at least he's doing SOMETHING. Hell, Randy Moss has been a complete dud!

Same with Fitzgerald... and several others that were picked probably in the late 1st, early-mid 2nd round that have done even less than Rice... I think what

puts Rice over the top though is how high people had to draft him with high hopes...

The few times I've watched Baltimore play it looks like Andy Reid is calling their plays - they just can't stop trying to throw the ball. I am having a hard time determining whether Rice is the problem or if the problem is the way he is being utilized. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the way they are utilizing/not utilizing him.

I thought it was a gift when he fell to me with the 7th pick this season - guess not. :goodposting:

Rice has been fine in ppr. He had two bad games against Pitt and did surprising little against Buffalo. Solid other than that.

He is one pace for about 1100 rushing, 65 receptions, and 550 receiving. Now he gets Houston, Saints, and Cleveland in the playoffs. Rice has lived up to his top 5 pick this year in PPR and will probably go there again next year.

Non PPR, what were you expecting? His current numbers seem right in line with most projections.
Wow. I don't know how heavily PPR is rewarded in your league (or how little touchdowns count) but he has been a horrible bust in most leagues. He MIGHT be a decent #2 running back for some, but for a top five overall pick, he is an absolute draft killer.The problem with him is that every once in a great while, he actually has one of those games where he gets 120+ overall yards and/or a touchdown and it makes me think that just maybe he's going to finally reward me for thinking he was something special and drafting him so early. Therefore, he keeps stying in my lineup and giving me crappy production while guys on my bench outscore him 75% of the time. Since he sucked once again last night and I lost my game by 1.5 points, I think I may have FINALLY learned my lesson. He's now a reserve.

He hasn't lived up to his ADP but still pretty solid and consistent. Just not RB1 numbers. It is easy to complain right after he played The Steelers. This was the first time all year that I benched him although it didn't work out since I played Stevie Johnson in his place.

Try having DeAngelo Williams and Randy Moss as your first two picks out of the 12/13 slots.

Rice is #17 in my PPR. Still a horrible horrible bust. He's been like an invisible piano on the back of my non PPR team as well.

Has there been a bigger bust in 2010 than Ray Rice?
Randy Moss?Shonn Greene?Rice is RB14 in my .5 PPR league. I'm sure he's helped people win a few games. Can't say that about Greene, and while a lot of people predicted Greene would bust he was still a Round 2 guy in a lot of drafts.

I have 4.24, RRice, and Fitz on my dynasty. They are all having a pretty mediocre year. They all are talented but are not bringing in the points. I may be starting Tampa Mike over Fitz and Blount over 4.24 or Rice going forward.

No. Disappointment, yes. Bust, no. He's #15 in my non PPR - so you drafted him like a first rounder and he performed like a 2nd. Think of him like the RB version of fantasy untouchable Andre Johnson.

Wow. I don't know how heavily PPR is rewarded in your league (or how little touchdowns count) but he has been a horrible bust in most leagues. He MIGHT be a decent #2 running back for some, but for a top five overall pick, he is an absolute draft killer.The problem with him is that every once in a great while, he actually has one of those games where he gets 120+ overall yards and/or a touchdown and it makes me think that just maybe he's going to finally reward me for thinking he was something special and drafting him so early. Therefore, he keeps stying in my lineup and giving me crappy production while guys on my bench outscore him 75% of the time. Since he sucked once again last night and I lost my game by 1.5 points, I think I may have FINALLY learned my lesson. He's now a reserve.
Any time a player is top 15 at position, he cant be considered a bust.

My league is 1 point per reception. 1 per 10 rushing/receiving. 6 per TD. No bonuses. Bout as standard as it gets.

Rice is RB #11 with 192.7 points after the Pitt game, #9 before it.

He has been a RB1 this year. If you started him last night that was your fault as he did nada in the first Pitt game. Now you want to bench him when the playoff sched. gets juicy? Makes no sense as any replacement you have cant be too good or you would have started them yesterday. Check where Rice is ranked in your league and you may be surprised.

The few times I've watched Baltimore play it looks like Andy Reid is calling their plays - they just can't stop trying to throw the ball. I am having a hard time determining whether Rice is the problem or if the problem is the way he is being utilized. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the way they are utilizing/not utilizing him. I thought it was a gift when he fell to me with the 7th pick this season - guess not. :(
I've been saying the same thing all year long. e.g. The game against Buffalo, Rice looked great and it was a great match-up, but they threw the majority of the game and it almost cost them.

My league is 1 point per reception. 1 per 10 rushing/receiving. 6 per TD. No bonuses. Bout as standard as it gets.

He has been a RB1 this year. If you started him last night that was your fault as he did nada in the first Pitt game. Now you want to bench him when the playoff sched. gets juicy? Makes no sense as any replacement you have cant be too good or you would have started them yesterday. Check where Rice is ranked in your league and you may be surprised.
Well, obviously he'll be ranked higher in a PPR league. Especially one that awards an entire point for just catchinmg a swing pass. My league only rewards for production- yardage and touchdowns, and he's not even top 20. And he was a first round pick! I don't have any 'sure thing' backs to replace him, but I'll be looking at matchups now and not just penciling him in because he was supposed to be a stud.

Randy Moss and it's not even close.

He was taken as the 12th overall pick or so in most league. In a PPR format, he is currently ranked as the 62nd!!!!! WR for a guy who hasn't been injured.

Well, obviously he'll be ranked higher in a PPR league. Especially one that awards an entire point for just catchinmg a swing pass. My league only rewards for production- yardage and touchdowns, and he's not even top 20. And he was a first round pick! I don't have any 'sure thing' backs to replace him, but I'll be looking at matchups now and not just penciling him in because he was supposed to be a stud.
A whole point? LOL! PPR stands for point PER reception!Anyone taking Rice in the early first round in non-ppr like you did was asking for trouble anyway. I still doubt he isnt top 20. ESPN standard scoring (non-ppr), he is RB#14. What scoring system do you have that Rice isnt top 20? He has had several horrible games and I think that is distorting your view of him.

i still remember in pre-draft rankings, i always had AP #1. he had it going for years, and i always had MJD over rice too. (it was usually AP, CJ, MJD, Rice, gore)

Solid contributor to my wins the 4 games prior to yesterday. Hardly a bust compared to the rest of the top picks in 0.5 ppr.

He's currently #34 overall, ADP is #4 and leads the pack of the Top 10 picks. Followed by these overall rankings.

#18 MJD

#24 CJ2K

#26 Gore

#30 AJ

#35 Mendenhall

#38 SJax

#40 Turner

#?? Randy Moss

Biggest bust has to be Moss. In non-PPR Rice is in the Fitzgerald zone...steady mediocre production that quietly kills your season if you needed them to have big games, but more than serviceable if the rest of your team was any good.

Matthews is a pretty huge bust also, for a guy that a lot people reached for in the 2nd.

DeAngelo is in the running as well.

Honorable mentions: Shonn Greene, Brandon Marshall, Cedric Benson

A whole point? LOL! PPR stands for point PER reception!Anyone taking Rice in the early first round in non-ppr like you did was asking for trouble anyway. I still doubt he isnt top 20. ESPN standard scoring (non-ppr), he is RB#14. What scoring system do you have that Rice isnt top 20? He has had several horrible games and I think that is distorting your view of him.
I stand corrected. He's 19th. LOL Just terrible for the fourth back taken. And yes, a lot of league's that still insist on being a PPR league have lowered the 'reward' to .5 points, since they realize how silly it ois to even reward a player a point for a play that may result in zero or negative yardage.

aimlessgun said:
Biggest bust has to be Moss. In non-PPR Rice is in the Fitzgerald zone...steady mediocre production that quietly kills your season if you needed them to have big games, but more than serviceable if the rest of your team was any good. Matthews is a pretty huge bust also, for a guy that a lot people reached for in the 2nd. DeAngelo is in the running as well. Honorable mentions: Shonn Greene, Brandon Marshall, Cedric Benson
None of those guys were taken as high as Rice in most drafts.

I had Ray Rice and Aaron Rodgers in my main, 2-keeper, league. I got rice for matt forte last yr from my buddy right before he blew up against the Vikings last yr. Anyway, I had a feeling Rice wasn’t gonna get the catches he got last year. So I traded my buddy, the day of the draft, Rice and my 11th for his 1st and 3rd round picks. He picked 7th and I picked 8th. First round (really 3rd counting keepers) I got Roddy White with his pick, and in the third with his pick I got A. Foster. It was gutsy as hell at the time. Every single site, magazine, pundit etc. had Rice in the top 5.

JuniorNB said:
And yes, a lot of league's that still insist on being a PPR league have lowered the 'reward' to .5 points, since they realize how silly it ois to even reward a player a point for a play that may result in zero or negative yardage.
get out of the stone age

aimlessgun said:
Biggest bust has to be Moss. In non-PPR Rice is in the Fitzgerald zone...steady mediocre production that quietly kills your season if you needed them to have big games, but more than serviceable if the rest of your team was any good. Matthews is a pretty huge bust also, for a guy that a lot people reached for in the 2nd. DeAngelo is in the running as well. Honorable mentions: Shonn Greene, Brandon Marshall, Cedric Benson
None of those guys were taken as high as Rice in most drafts.
None were taken as high but at least Rice has value. Moss is a first rounder that has been DROPPED in many leagues. Greene is unstartable. DeAngelo wasnt doing anything before he got hurt. Marshall? Benson? Matthews? All these guys were 3rd round picks at worst.Rice has been a dissapointment in non-ppr (but only because anyone in non ppr should have known better), but even still is a high end to average RB2 depending on scoring.How can you even say he is close to being the biggest bust?

JuniorNB said:
And yes, a lot of league's that still insist on being a PPR league have lowered the 'reward' to .5 points, since they realize how silly it ois to even reward a player a point for a play that may result in zero or negative yardage.
get out of the stone age
Next year, we're awarding backs a point for every hand-off received and quarterbacks a point for every snap from center received. We've decided that it doesn't matter if it contributes yardage or points to his NFL team, we just want to randomly hand out more points. :lmao:

Has there been a bigger bust in 2010 than Ray Rice? His ADP was #4 in the first round, but he continues to produce the numbers of a rb who should have been taken as a weak #2 or a solid #3 rb in most leagues.
I disagree. DeAngelo Williams is the biggest bust of 2010. Not Ray Rice.

JuniorNB said:
get out of the stone age
Next year, we're awarding backs a point for every hand-off received and quarterbacks a point for every snap from center received. We've decided that it doesn't matter if it contributes yardage or points to his NFL team, we just want to randomly hand out more points. :banned:
leave sarcasm to the professionals, please

Users who are viewing this thread