What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Carlos Hyde, JAC (1 Viewer)

3nOut said:
So should the Hyde owners be trying to get Breida or vice versa? What can you expect in return?
It’s not worth picking up Breida. If there is going to be a timeshare neither one of these guys are going to be worth having...Timeshare in a bad offense = drop

It’s not worth picking up Breida. If there is going to be a timeshare neither one of these guys are going to be worth having...Timeshare in a bad offense = drop
I wouldn't go that far. I own both Hyde and Breida. It's worth hanging on to cause this could be a hidden injury or possible trade. It's just too abrupt a change from stud RB touches to bench. 

Coach Kyle Shanahan said the 49ers will use the "hot hand" at running back moving forward.

Carlos Hyde will continue to start, followed by rookie Matt Breida, but Shanahan said it'll be the "hot hand" after that. Breida developed the hot hand in Week 5 against the Colts, rushing 10 times for 49 yards, while Hyde struggled to get anything going, but we'd chalk some of that up to Hyde playing through a less-than-100% hip. When healthy, Hyde is still the best bet in this backfield. But it's clear he can't be fully trusted and is a threat to be benched at any moment.
Do not understand this really.

as far as Breida, I keep thinking he wouldn't even be in the conversation if Joe Williams was upright. early in camp Breida was looking for a roster spot behind Joe Will and Hightower. going from that to supplanting Hyde? seems like a reach. hyde and ingram just can't seem to get coaches to respect them.

as far as Breida, I keep thinking he wouldn't even be in the conversation if Joe Williams was upright. early in camp Breida was looking for a roster spot behind Joe Will and Hightower. going from that to supplanting Hyde? seems like a reach. hyde and ingram just can't seem to get coaches to respect them.
I thought Breida jumped ahead of Joe Williams during training camp/preseason before Williams got hurt.

I thought Breida jumped ahead of Joe Williams during training camp/preseason before Williams got hurt.
Okay, Hightower didn't look like he'll be able to hold onto his spot, but missed this part. I saw speculations of this in the shark pool prior to Williams going down, just never saw anything reported as such.

but then there was speculation Hyde would get cut and Hightower would stay as a veteran presence in some online "news" outlets.

This is hilarious. The reactions from people over one down game are absolutely over the top. Hyde was averaging 21 touches per game coming into this week and he was incredibly productive with those touches averaging almost five yards per carry.

Relax, these things happen he'll be fine.

This is hilarious. The reactions from people over one down game are absolutely over the top. Hyde was averaging 21 touches per game coming into this week and he was incredibly productive with those touches averaging almost five yards per carry.

Sorry. It's not one bit an overreaction to be concerned when the NFL's 6th leading rusher gets benched by a rookie coach who didn't draft him.

Bell cow RB's in this league are few and far between. When a new element of uncertainty over Hyde's future workload is introduced that defies logic (for many), it is every bit worthy of speculating and opining what the implications might be.

• “Hyde is who we go with,” Shanahan said. “Hyde is who I expect to be out there, and nothing has changed with that. But it depends on the fronts we're going against, what personnel groups we want in, the type of practice, the week of practice, how it's looked. And that really goes for all positions. But I definitely see Hyde as our first guy and Breida spelling him and (sending in) Raheem (Mostert) after that.”
  • “That wasn’t injury-related,” Hyde said. “That was just the coach’s call. ... I don’t like it, but my boy, Matt, he’s a good back. So he did a good job going in there and making plays and stuff.”
http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article177967361.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Name another time something similar has happened.

Sorry. It's not one bit an overreaction to be concerned when the NFL's 6th leading rusher gets benched by a rookie coach who didn't draft him.

Bell cow RB's in this league are few and far between. When a new element of uncertainty over Hyde's future workload is introduced that defies logic (for many), it is every bit worthy of speculating and opining what the implications might be.
Go grab a beer, sit in a comfortable chair, take a deep breath, turn on the game and, if you absolutely cannot get this feeling of dread out of your system then cruise over to Pro-Football-Reference and peruse the game logs of some of the NFL great RBs. I assure you this is not unprecedented and is indicative of nothing. It does happen. 

Could this be the beginning of the end? Sure, why not. But it is far more likely that we saw a ghost blip on the radar and next week it goes back to normal. Either way it is far, far too soon to panic.

You're kidding, right?
Chaka I'm racking my brain here. I can't remember when a healthy, starting RB who had been top 5 on the year was benched because of some first half bad runs. Rookies yes. Average journeyman, yes. Practice squad xallups, yes. But I've never seen a good starter get benched for a couple bad carries. 

Okay, Hightower didn't look like he'll be able to hold onto his spot, but missed this part. I saw speculations of this in the shark pool prior to Williams going down, just never saw anything reported as such.

but then there was speculation Hyde would get cut and Hightower would stay as a veteran presence in some online "news" outlets.
Breida worked ahead of Williams in every game of the preseason. 

Insein said:
Chaka I'm racking my brain here. I can't remember when a healthy, starting RB who had been top 5 on the year was benched because of some first half bad runs. Rookies yes. Average journeyman, yes. Practice squad xallups, yes. But I've never seen a good starter get benched for a couple bad carries. 
I would start by not calling it a benching and work from there.

I would also suggest that being top 5 in fantasy does not imply he is a top 5 NFL RB.

Finally, it was not a couple bad runs it was the mishandled snap for a six yard loss and subsequent missed assignment on the next play leading to a sack that caused Shanahan to give Breida more snaps going forward. 

It was a one game worst case scenario and Hyde still had 33 snaps to Breida's 35. Hyde is still the starter, Shanahan said as much already. It was a bad game nothing more.

It is also amazing to me that Breida is again the flavor of the moment when barely two weeks ago people were freaking out because Mostert out snapped him after Hyde left with his hip injury.

I think people just love freaking out.

I am not going to go over every game log of every "top 5" RB in NFL history but for ####s'n'giggles I looked at Adrian Peterson's.

In just his rookie year these were his last two games week 15, week 16

I am sure people were scrambling to pick up Chester Taylor at that time too.

It is also amazing to me that Breida is again the flavor of the moment when barely two weeks ago people were freaking out because Mostert out snapped him after Hyde left with his hip injury.

I think people just love freaking out.
I think that fantasy football has gotten so saturated with information that more and more guys are drafting/picking up backups and just crossing their fingers that something happens to the starter. And whenever there's a slight glimmer, those guys just salivate and start beating their chests.  A guy like Shanahan, who is over thinking and trying to be the smartest guy in the room, just fuels this phenomenon more. 

I think that fantasy football has gotten so saturated with information that more and more guys are drafting/picking up backups and just crossing their fingers that something happens to the starter. And whenever there's a slight glimmer, those guys just salivate and start beating their chests.  A guy like Shanahan, who is over thinking and trying to be the smartest guy in the room, just fuels this phenomenon more. 
It's rampant and we need a name for it. It's like confirmation bias except it's based on hope rather than belief.

Going into Sunday's game he was ranked 6th in NFL rushing, therefore it isn't a stretch someone called him top 5.
All well and good but does anyone think Hyde is a top 5 NFL RB?

Who on the list was below him in rushing? LeVeon? Zeke?

When healthy he's not far off. 

Imagine if he was in a good team with one of the better OLs
When you are making a list of the best RBs in the NFL, based purely on your perception of their talent where do you have Hyde?

I am a big fan of Hyde and agree he would be better on a better team but, I can't go that far. 

I would guess that virtually* zero posts in the Shark Pool leading up to the season would have put Hyde as a potential top 5 RB.

*Not literally. I am sure some guys suggested a top 5 finish but I believe if we tallied the results those posts would be statistically insignificant.

All this minutiae is just semantics for the fact that Shanahan is making #### up as he goes. 

We can start Hyde going forward but does any one have any faith he won't be pulled after 2 or 3 pour plays leaving you high and dry? 

All this minutiae is just semantics for the fact that Shanahan is making #### up as he goes. 

We can start Hyde going forward but does any one have any faith he won't be pulled after 2 or 3 pour plays leaving you high and dry? 
Hyde will be getting the start and at least 10 carries to get into a groove. So long as he isn't fumbling or missing assignments that get Hoyer killed, he'll be fine.  Certainly more reliable than starting Breida right now.

I haven’t seen all of Hyde’s games, but the games I have seen he’s looked great. Did he do something to upset the coaching staff? Is there something going on behind the scenes? Could this be part of his contract negotiations? Is he just hurt?

Whatever it is, I just don’t get it

Hyde will be getting the start and at least 10 carries to get into a groove. So long as he isn't fumbling or missing assignments that get Hoyer killed, he'll be fine.  Certainly more reliable than starting Breida right now.
Can't be so sure of this considering he only got 8 this week (6 before he was effectively benched), and that was a close game against a bad team...

I have him on the bench. Starting Ingram and CJ Anderson over him. Can't trust it right now. There's always the chance at a correction where the player lobby's all week to give him the damn ball. But I'll wait and see.

I haven’t seen all of Hyde’s games, but the games I have seen he’s looked great. Did he do something to upset the coaching staff? Is there something going on behind the scenes? Could this be part of his contract negotiations? Is he just hurt?

Whatever it is, I just don’t get it

I can’t prove it, but it sure looks to me like this is Shanahan trying to prove that he’s the smartest guy in a very large room.

It's also worth pointing out that Atlanta was a better offense than the 49ers, so getting "totally phased out" is more of an issue for Hyde than for Freeman in the sense that game flow or defensive attention were more favorable for Freeman with his surrounding cast.

Shanahan talked about using the hot hand between them at the beginning middle and end of 2015 and 2016. This is nothing new and shouldn't be causing a big uproar. 

It's also noteworthy that not only did Hyde have the injury, they're talking contract extension this week. I'm not suggesting that Hyde got fewer carries to impact their leverage, that's possible but not really likely.  I'm saying that the 49ers have shown interest in keeping him.  

And I say this as a dynasty Hyde and breida owner who would love to see Hyde sign somewhere else next year and see breida become the full time starter.  I own them both in one league and no others so I don't have much of a dog in this fight. I just think it feels pretty obvious to me so I'm trying to understand where the opposing view point is coming from and it feels like a pretty cursory/optimistic read of the situation. 

I think Hyde is actually still a bit limited by the oblique injury.  He says it didn't have anything to do with that, but it's probably affecting his performance even if he isn't really feeling the pain of it anymore.

Basically, I would only be downgrading Hyde weekly if there are signs of an injury lingering.  Breida looked good and is a stronger stash now than he was at the start of the year, but I don't think you can actually play him unless Hyde is ruled out.

I think Hyde is actually still a bit limited by the oblique injury.  He says it didn't have anything to do with that, but it's probably affecting his performance even if he isn't really feeling the pain of it anymore.

Basically, I would only be downgrading Hyde weekly if there are signs of an injury lingering.  Breida looked good and is a stronger stash now than he was at the start of the year, but I don't think you can actually play him unless Hyde is ruled out.
He was on the injury report every week before this one and played fine. This week he's actually cleared and gets benched for the "hot hand." 

15, 18, 28, 21 then 9 touches. 

Could Shanahan be lying about the injury thing to keep him from getting targeted by the defense who will try to aggravate it? And the other side of that is to get the other team to game plan for Hyde when he's a decoy for Brieda?

He was on the injury report every week before this one and played fine. This week he's actually cleared and gets benched for the "hot hand." 

15, 18, 28, 21 then 9 touches. 
::shrug:: I certainly don't have any insider info, but I'm just going by what I saw.  Hyde looked a little slow off the blocks and typically he doesn't.

::shrug:: I certainly don't have any insider info, but I'm just going by what I saw. Hyde looked a little slow off the blocks and typically he doesn't.
This is the most likely scenario. Hyde was limited by his injury, maybe he re-aggravated it. I mean, Devante Parker was turning in full practices for weeks and re-aggravated his ankle injury on his first reception last week.

Hyde re-aggravates his injury, subsequently under performs and forces Shanny to go with Breida. It's not hard to imagine that this is how it played out. The problem is Hyde is always injured.

This is the most likely scenario. Hyde was limited by his injury, maybe he re-aggravated it. I mean, Devante Parker was turning in full practices for weeks and re-aggravated his ankle injury on his first reception last week.

Hyde re-aggravates his injury, subsequently under performs and forces Shanny to go with Breida. It's not hard to imagine that this is how it played out. The problem is Hyde is always injured.
And when he's been injured this year they've said so. So why be coy now?

And when he's been injured this year they've said so. So why be coy now?
I'm purely speculating but my conclusion based on all that I've read is it was a combo of a few things: somewhat of a hot hand thing if Breida was looking better, somewhat a Shenanigans thing with rotating backs with an eye on keeping them fresh, and somewhat due to Hyde's lingering hip injury.  It's anyone's guess what happens next week, but I think Hyde is still the starter and I'll prob roll him out next week - although my alternatives are not really viable.

I've been perusing SF message boards and the majority think he will be traded before the deadline.  :shrug:
Given that they are 0-5 and like Brieda, this makes sense. What teams would be a good fit for Hyde? Almost any place is an upgrade. Places that could use some help at RB:

Seattle

GB (what a great fit for that O)

Minny 

Given that they are 0-5 and like Brieda, this makes sense. What teams would be a good fit for Hyde? Almost any place is an upgrade. Places that could use some help at RB:

Seattle

GB (what a great fit for that O)

Minny 
very highly doubt within the division (Seattle)

howzabout the quasi Harbaugh connection: Baltimore (West injured, Collins fumbilitis, Buck is ... Buck)

Users who are viewing this thread