What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (5 Viewers)

What happens with CMC going forward? Division is wrapped up, what would San Fran have to gain in the coming weeks by overplaying CMC? Maybe they are interested in the 2-Seed but it doesn't get you out of the 1st round.
But assuming you win the #2 seed, it gets you hosting a game in round 2, and that's still pretty important, especially if seeding holds. You'd much rather host Minnesota than go there.

I doubt CMC sees 32 touches in any game going forward, but I think 25 a week is a reasonable expectation. Something like 18-20 carries and 5-7 catches.
I disagree. It won't matter where they play the Vikings. I think he sees plenty of rest.
aside from the division being wrapped up, he won't be vertical if they continue giving him 20 plus touches every week. I think Mason will get a lot more work than people think the last few games of the year.

CMac :lmao: at your statement.

Rubbing salt into investors having him lead block for McCloud

I know Niners love it but CMC investors getting very little return today
One of his worst games so far this season

Shanahan has split carries between him and Davis Price, 5 and 4 carries respectively.

No need to overuse Cmac now that they have the 3 seed locked up.

Shanahan has split carries between him and Davis Price, 5 and 4 carries respectively.

No need to overuse Cmac now that they have the 3 seed locked up.
Right

FF Sites should be shot ranking CMC Auto-1,2,3 week in and week out, it's LAZY!

That TD made it somewhat respectful, but not what we expected. You almost expect 6 to 8 catches from CMC. Even his yards per carry were below average today.

Christian McCaffrey rushed 19 times for 121 yards and a touchdown in the 49ers' Week 17 win over the Raiders, adding six catches for 72 yards.​

After a game of gashing the Raiders on the ground, McCaffrey nearly found the end zone a second time after taking a screen play 38 yards late in the fourth quarter. He was taken down in the red zone and left the field for a quick breather after the play. Jordan Mason ultimately scored from 14 yards out on the next play. The good news is that this was one of just three carries that Kyle Shanahan dolled out to McCaffrey's backups. Typically spelled by a between-the-tackles option, McCaffrey was fully unleashed in this game. Still live to get the No. 1 seed in the NFC, the 49ers will give CMC his normal workload for their Week 18 game against the Cardinals.
Jan 1, 2023, 8:12 PM ET

Absolute stud down the stretch. TD last week made it an ok game…but the rest of the last several weeks…flat out balled out
He's pretty much balled out every game he has been hurts for years. It's pretty much a disappointment if he doesn't hang a 20 spot.

Will be interesting to see where he's drafted next year. i think recency bias will jump him in front of Jefferson.

I just took over a dynasty team that has McCaffrey. I've always been a WR (and non-RB guy). Team is sort of middling. Don't see it as a true competitor. So if I wanted to trade McCaffrey in a PPR league, what's realistic? Is Chase possible straight up due to the big year McCaffrey has had?

I just took over a dynasty team that has McCaffrey. I've always been a WR (and non-RB guy). Team is sort of middling. Don't see it as a true competitor. So if I wanted to trade McCaffrey in a PPR league, what's realistic? Is Chase possible straight up due to the big year McCaffrey has had?

Would you trade your RB1 and RB2 for a WR1? You just got the leagues cheat code, use it.

Would you trade your RB1 and RB2 for a WR1? You just got the leagues cheat code, use it.
Injuries are a problem

Christian McCaffrey (ankle) is not on San Francisco's final Week 18 injury report against the Cardinals.​

He got a couple DNPs of rest, and it's possible that the 49ers rest McCaffrey in-game as well. Kyle Shanahan told reporters that McCaffrey would be up and playing, but that assignment may not last long enough for him to be a locked-in overall RB1. He'll obviously be a great play for as long as that lasts, but Elijah Mitchell is expected to be activated from IR and could get plenty of work in Week 18.
Jan 6, 2023, 5:02 PM ET

Absolute stud down the stretch. TD last week made it an ok game…but the rest of the last several weeks…flat out balled out
He's pretty much balled out every game he has been hurts for years. It's pretty much a disappointment if he doesn't hang a 20 spot.

Will be interesting to see where he's drafted next year. i think recency bias will jump him in front of Jefferson.
he’s old enough to have a track record of RB1 performances as well as being young enough to merit #1 overall pick spot in dynasty. His ceiling is unmatched- if he maxes out there is not another RB that can compete.

That being said, there is risk, no question.

It comes down to comfort.

He won me my keeper league this year but he’s so expensive that I may throw him back into the auction pool.

Christian McCaffrey had 15 rushes for 119 yards in the 49ers' Wild Card win against the Seahawks, adding two catches for 17 yards and a touchdown.​

McCaffrey finally has a postseason win in his sixth NFL season. He got off to a slow start against the woeful Seahawks rush defense but a couple well-designed run plays had CMC streaking in the open field. He logged a 68-yard run in the first half shortly before catching a short touchdown from Brock Purdy, who also threw a touchdown to Elijah Mitchell near the goal line. The engine of Kyle Shanahan's offense, McCaffrey has been game script-proof during his time with the Niners. He'll get his touches no matter what in a red-hot 49ers offense that should terrify opponents.
Jan 14, 2023, 8:50 PM ET

Christian McCaffrey rushed 10 times for 35 yards and a touchdown in San Francisco's Divisional Round win against Dallas, adding six catches for 22 yards on eight targets.​

McCaffrey had just five carries for eight yards and three catches for nine yards at halftime, but he and Elijah Mitchell iced the game with two 60-plus yard drives and McCaffrey cashed in the only touchdown of the game for the 49ers. McCaffrey was spotted with a heating pad on his calf on the sideline and didn't play much after the 49ers took the lead late in the game, but he was in for a key third-down snap on San Francisco's final drive. It wasn't pretty, but this was a defensive-dominated game. Philadelphia awaits the 49ers next weekend and McCaffrey will surely be a building block in DFS yet again.
Jan 22, 2023, 9:44 PM ET

Christian McCaffrey rushed 15 times for 84 yards and a touchdown in the 49ers' NFC Championship Game loss to the Eagles, adding four receptions for 22 additional yards.​

McCaffrey was also forced to attempt a pass with Brock Purdy (elbow) and No. 2 QB Josh Johnson (concussion) both battling injury. That quarterback injury apocalypse gave the 49ers essentially no chance of pulling off the road victory to reach Super Bowl LVII, but coach Kyle Shanahan wasn't nearly committed enough to CMC before Johnson went down. Of course, it could have had something to do with the calf issue that was still clearly bothering McCaffrey, though only on the sideline. On the field, McCaffrey continued to look cannon shot and was the provider of essentially all the Niners' production. Finally healthy(ish) after years in the injury wilderness, McCaffrey did not miss a game following his arrival from Carolina and was predictably a perfect fit for Shanahan's system. His three-down skill-set in this running back friendly offense will give CMC a strong claim to RB1 overall status for 2023.
Jan 29, 2023, 6:18 PM ET

Never been so bitter avoiding drafting him in fantasy leagues after he burned us last year. Oh well. Chances he's healthy all year next year?

Never been so bitter avoiding drafting him in fantasy leagues after he burned us last year. Oh well. Chances he's healthy all year next year?
I think actually had some benefit from a performance angle by having missed so much time the previous two seasons and possibly a health angle as well. Injuries are impossible to predict and I've argued against him and most players carrying the injury prone label for years now and confidently drafted him as my 1.1 this year on a ton of teams but most RB's miss some time, and for sure most SF RB's. From a health and especially performance angle I am absolutely concerned about the impact of having played a 20 game season where he just absorbed 393 total touches as he heads into his age 27 season which from what I've been tracking is a precarious age for drop off for a lot of RB's.

is he worth trading for in a dynasty league? Most sites I get on think he’s still a top 3 dynasty RB but I’m skeptical. I’ve got a couple mid firsts in this draft and am wondering if I should offer them up for him or just take my chances using those picks hoping to find an RB I can use to pair with JT

is he worth trading for in a dynasty league? Most sites I get on think he’s still a top 3 dynasty RB but I’m skeptical. I’ve got a couple mid firsts in this draft and am wondering if I should offer them up for him or just take my chances using those picks hoping to find an RB I can use to pair with JT

I'd rather go the other way and see if you can't exit out at a top 3 RB dynasty price.

I won't knock him in anyway, he's great and in scheme that knows how to use him. Maybe he's an outlier due to his receiving ability and some time off he missed earlier and he ages better then most RB's. But while I know Ekeler was the RB1 at 27 last year but he's a lightly used runner and odds are just high most heavily used RB's are seeing declines in their age 26 or age 27 season. Again I'd stress not all but the odds are high so if I can exit out I would but he's an understandably hard guy to let go of or not obtain if you are in win now mode. I'm trying to move him myself on a win now team but very picky about it and nothing has worked out yet.

I'd rather go the other way and see if you can't exit out at a top 3 RB dynasty price.

I won't knock him in anyway, he's great and in scheme that knows how to use him. Maybe he's an outlier due to his receiving ability and some time off he missed earlier and he ages better then most RB's. But while I know Ekeler was the RB1 at 27 last year but he's a lightly used runner and odds are just high most heavily used RB's are seeing declines in their age 26 or age 27 season. Again I'd stress not all but the odds are high so if I can exit out I would but he's an understandably hard guy to let go of or not obtain if you are in win now mode. I'm trying to move him myself on a win now team but very picky about it and nothing has worked out yet.
I’d be the one trying to obtain him

rest of my team is basically set except for rb2. I have high confidence in my ability to draft the right players but the sheer amount of rb prospects this year has me pondering trading a couple mids for a sure thing (when he actually plays) vs taking a couple dart throws whos careers might be longer but not as impactful and valuable as mccafferys could continue to be

Last edited:
Mina Kimes@minakimes
SF offense, pre CMC
21st in DVOA
19th in EPA/play
26th in QBR
10th in Y/ASF

offense, post CMC
1st in DVOA
1st in EPA/play
2nd in QBR
2nd in Y/A

McCaffrey was the missing piece for SF. Since Shanahan has been there, they have gotten by with journeymen for the most part and haven't had a RB who is above average catching the ball. While they have drafted a couple guys in the late 3rd, they haven't spent a 1st or 2nd rounder on a RB.

Such a big difference on 3rd and short after CMC came aboard. Just a short flip into the flat and the drive continues.

Mina Kimes@minakimes
SF offense, pre CMC
21st in DVOA
19th in EPA/play
26th in QBR
10th in Y/ASF

offense, post CMC
1st in DVOA
1st in EPA/play
2nd in QBR
2nd in Y/A

McCaffrey was the missing piece for SF. Since Shanahan has been there, they have gotten by with journeymen for the most part and haven't had a RB who is above average catching the ball. While they have drafted a couple guys in the late 3rd, they haven't spent a 1st or 2nd rounder on a RB.

Such a big difference on 3rd and short after CMC came aboard. Just a short flip into the flat and the drive continues.
Kittle coming back helped a lot too. He only missed the first 2 games, but he wasn't really right until about a week or 2 before the CMC trade. Not to take anything away from CMC.

ESPN’s Dan Graziano believes the 49ers will take Christian McCaffrey off the field more often than the Panthers did.
Graziano also predicted a 1,000/1,000 season from CMC, citing elite efficiency in Kyle Shanahan’s system as what could get it done. Nobody is going to regret drafting McCaffrey if he totals 2,000 yards from scrimmage, as plenty of touchdowns and receptions should be baked into that production. Still, any decline in snaps only further amplifies the need for McCaffrey to be highly efficient with his touches. Shanahan has often deployed multiple backs during his time with the 49ers, so it wouldn’t be surprising to see him continue that trend with CMC this season. McCaffrey is still worthy of an early first-round pick across all formats.

ESPN’s Dan Graziano believes the 49ers will take Christian McCaffrey off the field more often than the Panthers did.
Graziano also predicted a 1,000/1,000 season from CMC, citing elite efficiency in Kyle Shanahan’s system as what could get it done. Nobody is going to regret drafting McCaffrey if he totals 2,000 yards from scrimmage, as plenty of touchdowns and receptions should be baked into that production. Still, any decline in snaps only further amplifies the need for McCaffrey to be highly efficient with his touches. Shanahan has often deployed multiple backs during his time with the 49ers, so it wouldn’t be surprising to see him continue that trend with CMC this season. McCaffrey is still worthy of an early first-round pick across all formats.
Talking head, "ESPN Dan", saying a lot of nothing. lol

Is anyone worried about his stats splits with Elijah on/off the field?
Honestly, not in the least.
Agreed. If CMC was seeing his Carolina workload in San Fran, he'd be the no-brainer #1 overall pick. He'd be a threat for 2500-20 if he stayed healthy.

CMC getting some breaks for Mitchell and even Mason, just makes him the normal #1 RB, not an all-timer, it probably also slightly increases his chances of staying healthy.

Agreed. If CMC was seeing his Carolina workload in San Fran, he'd be the no-brainer #1 overall pick. He'd be a threat for 2500-20 if he stayed healthy.

CMC getting some breaks for Mitchell and even Mason, just makes him the normal #1 RB, not an all-timer, it probably also slightly increases his chances of staying healthy.
IMO McCaffrey, even at 17 touches/game is still easily in the conversation for #1 overall. You're looking at 1,600+ total yards, 70ish receptions and a good shot at somewhere in the teens for TDs.

IMO McCaffrey, even at 17 touches/game is still easily in the conversation for #1 overall. You're looking at 1,600+ total yards, 70ish receptions and a good shot at somewhere in the teens for TDs.
Oh yeah, I wasn't saying he wasn't #1 overall, I was just saying its not a no-brainer.

Honestly, I think the numbers you are projecting are basically his floor if he stays healthy. I could see 2000 total yards, 100 catches, and 15+ TDs.

I truly think CMC is at his peak as a player right now. Particularly in the passing game.

Seems WRs are the "thing" in current drafts and RBs fall a bit. Still, in my non-PPR league at 10th I do not expect to get CMC. If he is there I WILL take him. I consider him the #1 choice with my league settings.

Seems WRs are the "thing" in current drafts and RBs fall a bit. Still, in my non-PPR league at 10th I do not expect to get CMC. If he is there I WILL take him. I consider him the #1 choice with my league settings.
He went second in my long standing standard draft last night.

I want some of what you are smoking if you think there’s a a chance you get him at 10.

He went second in my long standing standard draft last night.

I want some of what you are smoking if you think there’s a a chance you get him at 10.
Went 3rd in my draft last night.

Have 2nd and 3rd picks in a couple 0.5 ppr drafts and thinking I might end up with him in both. I rather like the idea of getting RB in the first round and loading up on WR the next few rounds. If he stays healthy I have a hard time seeing how he isn't at least a top 3 RB.

Users who are viewing this thread