What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Elijah Mitchell, SF (1 Viewer)

Great run for the td. Otherwise. Meh. But I do like his ability to grind. 
He looked like he picked up some extra yards on a bunch of those plays.   

He looks like a good fit and I will be curious to see how they use him, Sermon and Hasty in week 2

Straight from Roto:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports 49ers RB Elijah Mitchell "to carry the load" in Week 2 against the Eagles.

Rapoport also noted that JaMycal Hasty and Trey Sermon will see the field but his strong wording on Mitchell's role points toward a hefty workload for the sixth-round rookie this week. Mitchell carried the ball 19 times for 104 yards and a score while filling in for Raheem Mostert in Week 1. Having given Kyle Shanahan no reason to limit his touches in Week 2, Mitchell is a solid RB2 bet against Philadelphia. Sermon will be active but Rapoport's report confirms that he doesn't project to have any fantasy value this week. 

I think it is fair to say he will be the lead back after last week. I expect him to get the bulk of opportunities today and for as long as he continues to produce.

However my guess is the leash won't be long and Sermon will get a limited number of opportunities and his role could grow depending on what he does with them.

Spent the #1 waiver priority on him in yahoo for a dynasty league.  Receivers too good to play him at flex.  Should I go Mitchell over Miles Sanders?

Spent the #1 waiver priority on him in yahoo for a dynasty league.  Receivers too good to play him at flex.  Should I go Mitchell over Miles Sanders?
I'd go sanders for sure

I'm starting to think i should play mitchell but i have him on my bench right now

I mean, two years from now is a long long time in real life, and especially in dynasty lol so much changes week to week that there's not a great way of evaluating.

I'd trade away assets two seasons from now for a potential league winner at RB, even if it doesn't work out, there's odds my 1st round pick in rookie drafts don't work out

How are people feeling about Kadarius Toney? lol 
Which fantasy rookie drafts did Karius Toney go in Round 1?

Straight from Roto:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports 49ers RB Elijah Mitchell "to carry the load" in Week 2 against the Eagles.

Rapoport also noted that JaMycal Hasty and Trey Sermon will see the field but his strong wording on Mitchell's role points toward a hefty workload for the sixth-round rookie this week. Mitchell carried the ball 19 times for 104 yards and a score while filling in for Raheem Mostert in Week 1. Having given Kyle Shanahan no reason to limit his touches in Week 2, Mitchell is a solid RB2 bet against Philadelphia. Sermon will be active but Rapoport's report confirms that he doesn't project to have any fantasy value this week. 
Straight from the tweet YOU posted:

Plus, the #49ers should feature Eli Mitchell at RB today vs. the #Eagles.

Straight from Roto:

If I'm a Sermon owner that worries me that a guy drafted in the 6th round Is getting more reps then him. 

Bummer.  That TD would have helped a lot.  Not a super stat line for the kid.  Hasty was back in on the next play.

I'd go sanders for sure

I'm starting to think i should play mitchell but i have him on my bench right now
Sanders is much more proven than Mitchell. He did not have a good day today, tho neither did Mitchell, other than the number of carries he got.

49ers' Elijah Mitchell: Not practicing Wednesday

23 mins ago

Mitchell (shoulder) won't take part in practice Wednesday, Cam Inman of The San Jose Mercury News reports.

Mitchell was forced out of the 49ers' Week 2 win at Philadelphia with a shoulder concern, but he returned when fellow rookie running back Trey Sermon suffered a concussion. In the interim, tests have revealed that Mitchell's injury is "a little worse than a stinger," but he "has a chance to go Sunday" against the Packers, coach Kyle Shanahan told David Lombardi of The Athletic. As the 49ers backfield currently stands, Raheem Mostert (knee) is on IR, JaMycal Hasty has a high-ankle sprain that's slated to sideline him for multiple games, and Sermon is progressing through the concussion protocol, seemingly making him the healthiest of the four. Trenton Cannon is the only other RB on the active roster, while Kerryon Johnson, Chris Thompson and Jacques Patrick are candidates to be elevated from the practice squad.

Today & tomorrow are obviously big days for Mitchell owners to see if he practices. 
If he plays this week he seems like a quality RB2. 

49ers general manager John Lynch said RB Elijah Mitchell (shoulder) is "very questionable" for Week 3. 

Mitchell is looking iffy, at best, for the Niners' Week 3 date with the Packers. Mitchell, after missing some of the team's Week 2 game with a shoulder issue, did not practice Wednesday and Thursday. The San Jose Mercury News' Cam Inman said Trey Sermon -- who suffered a concussion in Week 2 -- "looks like he's going to have opportunities" if he's cleared to face the Packers on Monday night. This week the team signed ex-XFL RB Jacques Patrick, who Lynch jokingly compared to John Riggins. Patrick could lead the Niners backfield if Sermon and Mitchell are inactive this week. San Francisco's backfield is a complete mess and will give fantasy managers heartburn throughout the weekend. Anyone rostering a Niners running back needs to have a backup plan for Monday night. 

RELATED: 

Jacques Patrick

, Trey Sermon

SOURCE: Cam Inman on Twitter

Sep 24, 2021, 11:26 AM ET

49ers RB Elijah Mitchell (shoulder) is doubtful for Week 3 against the Packers.

It aligns with GM John Lynch's view that Mitchell is "very questionable" to participate Sunday night. Trey Sermon meanwhile was cleared from the league's concussion protocol and will be available to play. With Mitchell sidelined and nowhere else to turn, fantasy players should have confidence in Sermon as a situation-based RB2/3. Special teams RB Trenton Cannon and Bengals castaway Jacques Patrick will be available behind him.

SOURCE: Cam Inman on Twitter

Sep 24, 2021, 4:24 PM ET

49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan said Elijah Mitchell's (shoulder) availability for Week 4 is "in limbo." 

Mitchell missed Week 3 and has been limited this week in practice ahead of the Niners' Week 4 game against Seattle. An active Mitchell would throw the 49ers backfield into chaos, with fantasy managers guessing about who will serve as the lead rusher in Shanahan's offense. Trey Sermon filled that role in Week 3 -- seeing ten carries for 31 yards and a touchdown -- with no one else available. There's no guarantee Sermon would see more than a few touches against the Seahawks if Mitchell suits up. 

RELATED: 

Trey Sermon

SOURCE: Matt Barrows on Twitter 

Oct 1, 2021, 11:21 AM ET

This is probably just more Shanahanigans, as the young progeny has truly embraced the dark arts of his father.

I would expect to see Mitchell out there carrying the load (and I say this reluctantly as a Sermon owner). But Mitchell owners better hope that's the case, because giving Sermon another crack at lead back duties wouldn't be ideal. He disappointed last week, but this Seattle run D is atrocious. Pretty much anyone can run on them, so you guys wouldn't want to give Sermon another chance to crack open door here.

This is probably just more Shanahanigans, as the young progeny has truly embraced the dark arts of his father.

I would expect to see Mitchell out there carrying the load (and I say this reluctantly as a Sermon owner). But Mitchell owners better hope that's the case, because giving Sermon another crack at lead back duties wouldn't be ideal. He disappointed last week, but this Seattle run D is atrocious. Pretty much anyone can run on them, so you guys wouldn't want to give Sermon another chance to crack open door here.
You may be right about what could happen if Sermon gets another crack at it as you say. For me, for selfish FF reasons, my preference would be for that very thing to happen, if for no other reason than to bring clarity. On the flip side, because I own so many shares of both, I wouldn't mind if Mitchell started and blew the doors off, but I think that is less likely as it will surely be some kind of split if they both play. 

You may be right about what could happen if Sermon gets another crack at it as you say. For me, for selfish FF reasons, my preference would be for that very thing to happen, if for no other reason than to bring clarity. On the flip side, because I own so many shares of both, I wouldn't mind if Mitchell started and blew the doors off, but I think that is less likely as it will surely be some kind of split if they both play. 
Yeah, this is what I am worried about.  It is a good matchup this week.  But if Mitchell plays I will have a tough time starting either one.  It could easily be a split.  For now, since Sermon is healthy I hope Mitchell is out.  Otherwise they are both on my bench until this sorts out.

Yeah, this is what I am worried about.  It is a good matchup this week.  But if Mitchell plays I will have a tough time starting either one.  It could easily be a split.  For now, since Sermon is healthy I hope Mitchell is out.  Otherwise they are both on my bench until this sorts out.
What exactly is there to sort out? The 9ers only used Sermon in the game Mitchell didn't play. 

What exactly is there to sort out? The 9ers only used Sermon in the game Mitchell didn't play. 
I guess that means you only have Mitchell. 

My opinion is that Sermon was drafted for a reason and will get significant playing time this year. I am holding both because I see Mitchell, barring injury, is the better back to start the year. But later in the year Sermon is the better to have once he is up to speed with pass protection. If they are splitting they are both useless especially with how poor the line play has been. 

I guess that means you only have Mitchell. 

My opinion is that Sermon was drafted for a reason and will get significant playing time this year. I am holding both because I see Mitchell, barring injury, is the better back to start the year. But later in the year Sermon is the better to have once he is up to speed with pass protection. If they are splitting they are both useless especially with how poor the line play has been. 
It doesn't matter who I have. Theres nothing to sort out here with Sermon. He is an afterthought. 

Hasty, or Wilson tho? It's hard to tell what happens with Mitchell when they come back.

Last edited by a moderator:
People acting like Sermon was a first round pick. He was a late 3rd rounder, picked behind guys like Hunter Long and Amari Rodgers. No one is acting like those guys are golden tickets. It's clear that Sermon is not well liked by this coaching staff. It's very possible the coaches and staff realized as soon as he came into camp that's he an undersized RB for a guy that ran a 4.6/40 on his pro day. I think Sermon's value long term a RB will come from his long arms and good hands. But SF doesn't really use their RBs like that.

Mitchell owners should be more worried about Jeff Wilson's eventual return, especially if Mitchell can't get healthy.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Elijah Mitchell (shoulder) is not expected to play in Week 4 against the Seahawks.

That means we’ll get another week of Trey Sermon as the starter. Sermon started last week and earned 10 carries plus three targets. He managed just 34 yards from scrimmage but saved his day with an end-zone plunge. Kyle Juszczyk saw a career-high in touches in that game while getting the bulk of the passing-downs work and seeing red zone opportunities. His presence keeps Sermon in the RB3 range this week. 

RELATED: 

Trey Sermon

, Kyle Juszczyk

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Coach Kyle Shanahan said the "hope" is Elijah Mitchell (shoulder) will shed his blue no-contact jersey at practice this week.

Mitchell has missed the last two games with his shoulder issue, allowing Trey Sermon to handle 29 carries for 120 yards and one touchdown with two catches for three yards in the passing game. Sermon hasn't looked all that good in his extended chance as the starter. Mitchell should return to the top of the depth chart, but this backfield is going to be a weekly headache. In hindsight, Mitchell may not have been worth all that FAAB on waiver wires in fantasy.

RELATED: 

Trey Sermon

SOURCE: David Lombardi on Twitter

Oct 4, 2021, 6:48 PM ET

The San Francisco 49ers cut running backs Kerryon Johnson and Chris Thompson and linebacker Curtis Bolton on Tuesday to make room on the practice squad for tight end Jordan Matthews and two other potential additions.

RELATED:

Trey Sermon

SOURCE: David Lombardi on Twitter
It's Elijah time. Excited to see what he does with Lance in the pocket. 

Elijah Mitchell (shoulder) remained "limited" in 49ers practice Thursday. 

So far, it has been the same story it was for Mitchell in Week 4, where he got in a slate of limited practices before being declared out on Sunday morning. 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan is an unreliable narrator when it comes to injury information but had said he was hopeful Mitchell would return this week. More than likely, Mitchell will get slapped with a "questionable" tag on Friday and we won't really know what to think ahead of Sunday's game against the Cardinals. For now, we would not pencil Mitchell into FLEX spots. 

Oct 7, 2021, 6:18 PM ET

I know I'm repeating myself, and no way am I starting Sermon this week, but I predict Sermon and Mitchell both finish as solid RB2 Sunday.

jdoggydogg said:
I know I'm repeating myself, and no way am I starting Sermon this week, but I predict Sermon and Mitchell both finish as solid RB2 Sunday.
Agree the 49ers game plan should be to lean on the run and sprinkle in shots downfield. Take some pressure off Lance. 

Leaning towards Sermon getting the majority with Mitchell easing back to protect the shoulder recovery. Hopefully Mitchell can protect the ball.  I’d roll with Sermon this week and hold Mitchell unless you’re desperate. 

I have him on my bench except in one very desperate spot. And in one other desperate spot I have the choice between the two. Not sure which direction I am going to go yet.

Starting Rodney Smith the Panther over Sermon in one other league if that tells you what I think of Sermon today.

Users who are viewing this thread