What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Elijah Mitchell, SF (1 Viewer)

I think there’s three bad scenarios

1) time share with Wilson as they ease him back

2) as mentioned above last game lance started the starting rb only had 11 carries

3) shanny messes with us.  

I expect 1 and 2 at a minimum.  Prediction for me is 10 carries, 45 yards and 50% chance of TD.  
Well you know they are throwing a ton.  You know that they absolutely have to win this.  You know they are not trusting Lance (if he plays) to do much at all so I suspect if he is active he is going to get a ton of work.  I think north of 10 carries but probably not 20. 

Dude has been awesome.  From Waiver wire darling to 130 total yards and a TD in the Finals.   

Wonder what his adp is next year. Seems to be a lock for the starting role but nothing is guaranteed with shanny. They should bring a bruiser back to help manage Mitchell’s workload but that’s also not what shanny does lol

Wonder what his adp is next year. Seems to be a lock for the starting role but nothing is guaranteed with shanny. They should bring a bruiser back to help manage Mitchell’s workload but that’s also not what shanny does lol
Time will tell how much the fantasy community likes him.

I think he'll probably be a little undervalued going into next year.  

Elijah Mitchell rushed 11 times for 20 yards and caught all three of his targets for 50 yards in the 49ers' NFC Championship loss to the Rams.

JaMycal Hasty touched the ball just one time behind Mitchell. The sixth-round rookie opened the season as the surprise No. 2 back to Raheem Mostert, but Mostert ended up tearing his ACL early in the Week 1 opener, and Mitchell ran with the starting job ahead of third-rounder Trey Sermon. Mitchell's rookie season saw him post a 207-963-5 rushing line, averaging over 4.7 YPC, with 55-169-1 in the playoffs. He wasn't all that involved in the pass game, however, catching 26 total passes for 194 yards and a sixth score. Mitchell should be viewed as the Niners' odds-on favorite RB1 to open the 2022 campaign, but coach Kyle Shanahan is known to rotate through running backs. Mitchell will likely be drafted as a fantasy RB2 next summer. Mostert will be a free agent in March, and Sermon spent all of 2021 miles behind Mitchell.

- NBCSportsEDGE

What’s thoughts/opinions on this guy moving into season?  We scared of 3rd round pick this year even though he himself beat out 3rd round pick last year?  Buying/selling and what for?

What’s thoughts/opinions on this guy moving into season?  We scared of 3rd round pick this year even though he himself beat out 3rd round pick last year?  Buying/selling and what for?

I see him as a high floor/low ceiling play.   I'm anticipating Shanny won't use him in a workhorse fashion, particularly if the Niners are playoff contenders.   He showed last year that he can only handle a limited workload.   

He's priced a little high for me, but I could see me taking a shot in leagues where I go hero RB or zero RB.

ETA:  Just went 5.5 in my FFPC best ball...too rich for my blood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really hard guy to gauge for me. I like him in redraft better than dynasty.  I think he's a system success guy and Kyle will be looking to find someone better, but not sure Davis-Price is that guy so expect him to get around 60 percent of the carries this year.  1200 yards is reasonable to expect assuming good health.  Think Davis-Price vultures the TDs (Deebo will get some too) and for some reason, Kyle doesn't use the RBs in the passing game like he did in Atlanta, so don't expect much there.

Yeah, that’s my dilemma, what would I really be getting.  Deciding between pushing a future late 1st on him or paying a tad premium on getting both Lenny and James Conner with more steady scoring but most likely shorter shelf life

Every time I read - blah blah blah new yardage leader every year... RBBC can't be figured out yadda yadda yadda. I try to remember that Mitchell stood out in a very cool way.

Fun fact:

Even though he played in only 10 games, Mitchell broke the 49ers franchise rookie rushing record, held since 1971. 

Not the notable names one might recall -  Frank Gore, Roger Craig, Ricky Watters, Kevan Barlow, or Carlos Hyde.

It was Mitchell.

Good start for the guy!

I think he’s a hold unless you get blown away. Ceiling obviously not top 6 but for me, in a 14 team league he’s a good  RB3.

Could he lose his job? Obviously yes. But that’s baked into what anyone would pay. I don’t think trade partners will be tripping over themselves to pay for what his top 50% outcomes are. 

I'm puzzled a bit by the lack of enthusiasm for Mitchell...granted it's early in draft season.

As a rookie, 11 games + 1100 yards and 6 TD's. But it feels like he's being ranked miles down the charts from Javonte Williams, another 2nd year back.

Yes, the 49ers drafted Tyrion Davis-Price in the 3rd round...but the Broncos brought back Melvin Gordon.  This may be JMO, but Gordon represents the same if not bigger threat to workload than a 3rd round rookie.

Yes, Shanahan can be a bit mercurial with his RB usage, but Mitchell produced.  People got burned with Trey Sermon last year and seem to be hanging that on Mitchell this year, perhaps using the example of Brandon Aiyuk as a 2nd year player who Shanny soured on.

Seems odd.

He didn't have a single fumble last year. That's HUGE for a RB in Shanny's offense. I think he'll easily outperform his ADP. And I only have him in 1 out of a 13 leagues, so pretty unbiased take. 

He didn't have a single fumble last year. That's HUGE for a RB in Shanny's offense. I think he'll easily outperform his ADP. And I only have him in 1 out of a 13 leagues, so pretty unbiased take. 
Yeah, I like Mitchell where is is being currently drafted around round 6.  

As a Niner fan, I would like to see him in less of a workhorse role than he had last year as he isn't a big guy and he took a pretty good pounding.  Big part of why they drafted Davis-Price obviously, but Mitchell will still get first shot.

Still perplexed why Shanahan doesn't use the RBs in the passing game like he did in Atlanta.  Mitchell only had receptions in 6 of the 11 games he played in last year, which I find amazing in a bad way.  There was one game against the Vikings where they made it a point to get him some screens early in the game and it was pretty effective.  

They gave him 20+ touches in nearly every game he started. His lowest attempts/touches in his last 8 games played including the playoffs was the NFC championship game 11 carries and 3 catches. The previous 7 games in reverse chronical order:

Packers game- 17 attempts/ 4 targets

Cowboys game- 27 attempts/ 2 targets

Rams game- 21/0

Texans game- 21/2

Titans/Falcons/Bengals games- out

Seahawks game- 22/3

Vikings game- 27/6

Jacksonville game- out

Rams game- 27/0

Average last 8 healthy games: 19.1 carries, 2.5 targets. 

They LOVE him. They will only moderate the touches to try to keep him healthy. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-gm-john-lynch-reveals-elijah-mitchells-unique-nickname

Code:
"Elijah came in and had an unbelievable year. We call him 'Drano,'" Lynch said. 

No, not because of Mitchell's incredible plumbing skills. 

"Because he always finds the right gap," Lynch continued. "It's kind of like putting the Drano down the drain and it just finds it. That's what we call him because of his natural run instincts."

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom

Mitchell will be even cheaper now He's still clearly the best back in a good running game. He won't have the 20+ carries from last year, but he doesn't need to to return value on a depressed ADP. (Also have a feeling Wilson will be the #2 here)

----------------------------------

Evan Silva@evansilva

In this writeup, #49ers reporter

@MaioccoNBCS

says Kyle Shanahan “appears determined to deploy more of a running backs-by-committee approach” and “there are legitimate concerns about (Elijah) Mitchell’s durability.”

49ers camp battles: Mitchell no longer alone at running back

...Mitchell put together a strong rookie season, gaining 963 yards and five touchdowns while averaging 4.7 yards a carry. He ran the ball anywhere from 21 to 27 times in each of the final five regular-season games in which he played.

But there are legitimate concerns about Mitchell’s durability. He missed six games due to injuries.

In the postseason, Mitchell saw his average drop to just 3.1 yards an attempt. He had a “clean-up” procedure on his knee after a season in which he missed time due to shoulder, ribs, finger and head injuries.

Mitchell proved he can be a very good three-down back. The only question is whether he can withstand that kind of relentless punishment...

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom

Mitchell will be even cheaper now He's still clearly the best back in a good running game. He won't have the 20+ carries from last year, but he doesn't need to to return value on a depressed ADP. (Also have a feeling Wilson will be the #2 here)
If you’re a Mitchell fan (I am)…this is good news.  49ers finished 29th in pass attempts last year and in 2019.  When they’re good, they run the ball.  Maybe, just even when they’re defense is good.  Enough for 2…and TDP is unproven.

Stats that Matter from the First 4 Days of Training Camp

Excerpt:

1. Elijah Mitchell has had 18 carries with the first-team offense.

No other running back has more than two carries with the first-team offense. Which seems to indicate the 49ers will lean on Mitchell this season even more heavily than last season when he averaged 18.8 carries per game. This season, he has put on 10 pounds of muscle, presumably to carry a larger workload. Expect to average no fewer than 20 carries per game. The second-leading rusher in camp is quarterback Trey Lance, who has run 7 times -- 3 designed runs and 4 scrambles. Expect him to average roughly 8 carries per game. And then Deebo Samuel most likely will run the ball two or three times every week. That most likely will be the rotation, and it's a good one. The 49ers very well could lead the league in rushing attempts and yards.

Trey Sermon is on his last legs in my contract/dynasty league...if he doesn't make a move up the depth chart soon he is getting cut for a  Khalil Herbert or KJ Osborn type.

I have only tinkered with dynasty leagues a few times, but look at the situation.

Doesn't Sermon need like a multitude of things to happen for him to get a "startable" enough workload?  I suppose if he goes crazy in the preseason I wouldn't mind stashing him.

At least with Herbert you know you will get decent production if there is an injury to Montgomery.....well, we have SEEN IT happen, and we certainly haven't with Sermon.

I'm sure you are merely giving an example, but I would cut Sermon immediately for Khalil Herbert if that was the scenario.

Trey Sermon shoulda been cut for KJ Osborn at birth

Not gonna lie, I'm a Sermon truther and still believe he'll be relevant but needs to go to another team...also it's standard league so receivers lose value in the format.  With all of that said, we are getting close to me making this exact move.

I have only tinkered with dynasty leagues a few times, but look at the situation.

Doesn't Sermon need like a multitude of things to happen for him to get a "startable" enough workload?  I suppose if he goes crazy in the preseason I wouldn't mind stashing him.

At least with Herbert you know you will get decent production if there is an injury to Montgomery.....well, we have SEEN IT happen, and we certainly haven't with Sermon.

I'm sure you are merely giving an example, but I would cut Sermon immediately for Khalil Herbert if that was the scenario.

I don't disagree, I'm about to make that move.

This stud continues to be undervalued in all formats.
I'm going to ride with Mitchell for better or worse. You're buying the scheme here to a certain extent and Mitchell looks like the best RB on this team. Couple that with the fact that this is a strong defense and an offense that likely won't be putting too much on the arm of Lance in 2022...there's alot of meat on this bone or Mitchell to outperform.

This stud continues to be undervalued in all formats.
Maybe redraft. I wouldn't sniff his current dynasty value. EM is a CLEAR sell high in my book.
As a guy who has Mitchell in a couple of dynasty leagues, it doesn't seem like anyone wants to buy.

People are wary because of how the SF backfield goes and are skeptical. They're afraid of getting burnt.

I think if he has a couple big games to start the season where he looks like the clear workhorse--that diminishes those fears significantly, then you sell high before Shanny starts tinkergin.

Non-PPR comparison blurb I wrote for one of my dynasty league's annual prediction thread (your results may vary):

D'Andre Swift: 627+452 = 1079 yards, 7 TDs in 13 games = 148.9 pts = 11.5 PPG

(Swift has had the same sort of production 2 years straight ~ 148 pts)

Elijah Mitchell: 963+137 = 1100 yards, 6 TDs in 11 games = 146.0 pts = 13.3 PPG

Not so random comparisons (stats are fun!):

13.3 PPG Najee Harris (fellow first year rookie for FF production history)

13.4 PPG Dalvin Cook (for injury likelihood comparison)

SF has had a new rushing leader the last 5 years for mostly injured older RBs (Hyde, Breida, Mostert, Wilson, Mitchell).

Mitchell broke the rookie rushing record for the team held since 1971 (50 years!).

Swift, Harris, Cook, Mitchell - Who gets picked when in fantasy drafts???
One of these things is not like the others.

are we sure Lance is a starter worthy, NFL QB? no. Mitchell was decent but why do we always go down the same rabbit hole every year - that being, dont pick a shanahan RB. you don't need to nonsense, the chasing points, the inept play calling from week to week. Mitchell is this year's bust guy like Tatum Bell was back in the day. Never trust a Shanahan offense when it comes to RBs.worse than NE.
I like what others have said about Khalil Herbert - he's a stud in sheep's clothing. Monty is a bust and at some point will simply be pushed aside form the better Herbert.

It seems to be universally agreed that Mitchell is the teams starting RB. When you consider the situation surrounding Trey Lance, his inexperience, pressure, expectations, etc, it seems stability and consistency at RB would be very beneficial to Lance and his development. The fewer moving parts, the better. Having the same RB in the huddle, in the backfield, taking handoffs in the same manner, consistent and predictable blocking and route running on passing downs, on-field communication, etc.

Running 4 different RBs on and off the field constantly in every down and distance situation would clearly be detrimental to Lance’s development. It would seem leaving your best and most dependable RB out there as much as possible makes a lot of sense for many reasons. Of course Mitchell can’t play every single down, but this could very well be a situation where Mitchell is a legit every down back for the most part that Lance and the 49ers can lean on as Lance gets more comfortable running the show. With a couple nice matchups to start the season, Mitchell could start 2022 with a bang and never look back.

It seems to be universally agreed that Mitchell is the teams starting RB. When you consider the situation surrounding Trey Lance, his inexperience, pressure, expectations, etc, it seems stability and consistency at RB would be very beneficial to Lance and his development. The fewer moving parts, the better. Having the same RB in the huddle, in the backfield, taking handoffs in the same manner, consistent and predictable blocking and route running on passing downs, on-field communication, etc.

Running 4 different RBs on and off the field constantly in every down and distance situation would clearly be detrimental to Lance’s development. It would seem leaving your best and most dependable RB out there as much as possible makes a lot of sense for many reasons. Of course Mitchell can’t play every single down, but this could very well be a situation where Mitchell is a legit every down back for the most part that Lance and the 49ers can lean on as Lance gets more comfortable running the show. With a couple nice matchups to start the season, Mitchell could start 2022 with a bang and never look back.

I was just jumping in the thread for a look-see. But I decided to comment just to say, when are NFL coaches ever that smart?

Non-PPR comparison blurb I wrote for one of my dynasty league's annual prediction thread (your results may vary):

D'Andre Swift: 627+452 = 1079 yards, 7 TDs in 13 games = 148.9 pts = 11.5 PPG

(Swift has had the same sort of production 2 years straight ~ 148 pts)

Elijah Mitchell: 963+137 = 1100 yards, 6 TDs in 11 games = 146.0 pts = 13.3 PPG

Not so random comparisons (stats are fun!):

13.3 PPG Najee Harris (fellow first year rookie for FF production history)

13.4 PPG Dalvin Cook (for injury likelihood comparison)

SF has had a new rushing leader the last 5 years for mostly injured older RBs (Hyde, Breida, Mostert, Wilson, Mitchell).

Mitchell broke the rookie rushing record for the team held since 1971 (50 years!).

Swift, Harris, Cook, Mitchell - Who gets picked when in fantasy drafts???
One of these things is not like the others.

All their numbers are the same - I can't figure out which one you are talking about:-)

• ELIJAH MITCHELLRB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

49ers RB Elijah Mitchell (hamstring) is expected to sit out the preseason.​

Mitchell was limited to open training camp coming off knee surgery. The hamstring injury is new and will keep him out of the preseason but Mitchell is expected to be ready for Week 1. Mitchell's absence will open up reps for Jeff Wilson, Trey Sermon, and rookie Tyrion Davis-Price.
    SOURCE: ESPN
    Aug 13, 2022, 9:43 AM E

Saw Mitchell on the low end of of the Top 20...17-18-19...SCHWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't want to make people use my guidance but dear gawd in heaven, what camp reports might folks be missing?(Me, hammy popped up last day or two) Nobody is taking his starting spot...Not Sermon, Not Jeffrey "I never suit up" Wilson, I pray I can capture him anywhere near where others are trying to say he is valued. I don't know much about Trey Lance but the Front Office, Owner, Coach...COACH(the guy calling the plays) seem to love this guy and started a 6th round pick over the guy they drafted 3 rounds earlier...what do you need to understand?

...Oh there's a WR they hand off to a lot and eats into his touches? You mean it's not the 3-4-5 guys trying to secure the back up spots behind him? It's. a WR that is stealing his touches? Hmmmm, that's sustainable forever and ever...and ever and ever....🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Saw Mitchell on the low end of of the Top 20...17-18-19...SCHWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't want to make people use my guidance but dear gawd in heaven, what camp reports might folks be missing. Nobody is taking his tarting spot...Not Sermon, Not Jeffrey "I never suit up" Wilson, I pray I can capture him anywhere near where others are trying to say he is valued. I don't know much about Trey Lance but the Front Office, Owner, Coach...COACH(the guy calling the plays) seem to love this guy and started a 6th round pick over the guy they drafted 3 rounds earlier...what do you need to understand?

...Oh there's a WR they hand off to a lot and eats into his touches? You mean it's not the 3-4-5 guys trying to secure the back up spots behind him? It's. a WR that is stealing his touches? Hmmmm, that's sustainable forever and ever...and ever and ever....🤷‍♂️

Going to miss entire preseason WITH an injury. Should give anyone pause with the history of this coaching staff/backfield.

I don't want to make people use my guidance but dear gawd in heaven, what camp reports might folks be missing. Nobody is taking his tarting spot...Not Sermon, Not Jeffrey "I never suit up" Wilson, I pray I can capture him anywhere near where others are trying to say he is valued. I don't know much about Trey Lance but the Front Office, Owner, Coach...COACH(the guy calling the plays) seem to love this guy and started a 6th round pick over the guy they drafted 3 rounds earlier...what do you need to understand?

Going to miss entire preseason WITH an injury. Should give anyone pause with the history of this coaching staff/backfield.
Ask and ye shall receive...last I read he was moving a pile 85 yds for a TD in some drill they run during camp and I thought I didn't need to read a lot more since I saw another report that after RB2-Wilson it was a 3-way battle for the RB3 spot so maybe this jumbles things around or I get Mitchell even later because as long as healthy he seems t have a hammer lock on the spot.

He did tear or break something? I'll read your link and appreciate you doing that. Hopefully it's one of those injuries that's just enough to have coaches keep him wrapped up until Week 1. I didn't see anything leading up to this injury that would make me pause and think Mitchell isn't the clear RB1.

Injury is separate issue and again ty for the link. I didn't know.

Ask and ye shall receive...last I read he was moving a pile 85 yds for a TD in some drill they run during camp and I thought I didn't need to read a lot more since I saw another report that after RB2-Wilson it was a 3-way battle for the RB3 spot so maybe this jumbles things around or I get Mitchell even later because as long as healthy he seems t have a hammer lock on the spot.

He did tear or break something? I'll read your link and appreciate you doing that. Hopefully it's one of those injuries that's just enough to have coaches keep him wrapped up until Week 1. I didn't see anything leading up to this injury that would make me pause and think Mitchell isn't the clear RB1.

Injury is separate issue and again ty for the link. I didn't know.

Just released the news yesterday I believe. He had knee surgery and then injured his hamstring so they are sitting him till Week 1. So that could be interpreted as bubble wrap or that he's legit hurt and Week 1 would be the earliest he could be back. But between that, Jeff Wilson's return to health, and the reported improvement of Trey Sermon this backfield is seeming very "buyer beware" to me at this point.

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said that RB Elijah Mitchell (hamstring) is on schedule to play Week 1.​

This has appeared to be the plan all along as the 49ers have rested Mitchell throughout training camp. Mitchell should be the No. 1 back for the 49ers to start the season. The sophomore back is hovering around the 65 ADP range in most drafts after a 963-yard rookie season.
SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter
Aug 23, 2022, 3:16 PM ET

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said that RB Elijah Mitchell (hamstring) is on schedule to play Week 1.​

This has appeared to be the plan all along as the 49ers have rested Mitchell throughout training camp. Mitchell should be the No. 1 back for the 49ers to start the season. The sophomore back is hovering around the 65 ADP range in most drafts after a 963-yard rookie season.
SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter
Aug 23, 2022, 3:16 PM ET
I am not going down this road again this year

I am not going down this road again this year

What road is that? The road where if people would just listen to what the coaches are saying, that is exactly what happens?

An ADP of 65 for a clear RB1 workhorse is an absolute steal.

The idea that the SF backfield is a mystery is the myth that just keeps on giving. People are making the same mistake this year drafting davis-price ahead of wilson.
Hi, 49ers fan here.

IMO, Mitchell isn’t that good and benefits from the scheme he’s in.

He’s also been dinged up & missed time, with a coach that has a “next man up” philosophy. Mitchell is also currently dealing with a hammy issue. He had 5 different injuries last season.

Also, Jeffery Wilson Jr looks like he’s in incredible shape this year.

Sermon might be a bust, but they drafted Davis-Price this year, who also looks good.

Personally, I’m likely avoiding this backfield, and I believe Mitchell’s ADP reflects many of the concerns I have above. I’ll enjoy rooting for him while he’s the man, but I’m unlikely to draft him. Never say never, but I feel there’s risk for performance, injury, and the possibility that the team just isn’t that good under Lance.

Maybe he’ll pay off for those who draft him. Unless he falls past his ADP it likely won’t be me.

Users who are viewing this thread