What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jahmyr Gibbs, DET (2 Viewers)

When Monty is back he will be a CoP and spell him for breathers.

This won’t be a RBBC folks and Monty being injured is the only reason why he got increased touches.

Booger McFarland on NFL Primetime even commented how the Lions identity had changed without Monty, how the Head Coach missed him, and how they had to put too much on Goff without Monty.

I know it’s a tough pill to swallow but that seems to be the reality here and this aligns with the season thus far.

Gibbs had a great game and he has shown he can produce in fantasy when Monty misses time. That’s more than he did last time when Monty missed a game, so Gibbs owners should be happy with that.

Perhaps he earned a few more touches but he’s still just a CoP and backup at best unless Monty goes down. If you can’t see that then you’re just biased based on overdrafting and/or owning him.

Sorry guys that seems to be the reality here…
I agree to an extent. I didn't ever think he'd be the between the tackles guy and that this would so sort of committee. I thought there would be a 50/50 or 60/40 split with Gibbs getting the receptions and high leverage touches. I still think that can happen.

If the Lions fall apart and find themselves in negative game scripts, Gibbs will continue to eat like he did this week. If they go back to getting early leads and controlling games, he won't. Some other stuff will play into it, but I think this is the main take away.

This won’t be a RBBC folks and Monty being injured is the only reason why he got increased touches.

Booger McFarland on NFL Primetime even commented how the Lions identity had changed without Monty, how the Head Coach missed him, and how they had to put too much on Goff without Monty.

I know it’s a tough pill to swallow but that seems to be the reality here and this aligns with the season thus far.

Gibbs had a great game and he has shown he can produce in fantasy when Monty misses time. That’s more than he did last time when Monty missed a game, so Gibbs owners should be happy with that.

Perhaps he earned a few more touches but he’s still just a CoP and backup at best unless Monty goes down. If you can’t see that then you’re just biased based on overdrafting and/or owning him.

Monty is the lead back, I think we all know that. Monty is a good RB and has been playing well. But for now he is out and Gibbs will be getting more touches.

ROS I believe Gibbs can be a solid starter (flex play) for fantasy - even with Monty back. DET is desperate for offensive playmakers and Gibbs can be one of those guys. The next few weeks will help get him more reps and get up to speed with the NFL game.

Question is this - will he return some of the value where people were drafting him in late summer as his ADP was rising? Maybe not. For those in redraft - this is some of the risk drafting rookies - they may take some time to develop and get worked into their NFL offense.

As for dynasty, for those wanting to acquire him, likely missed the buy window. Long term I believe this guy will work out. He's only 21, hasn't even played half a season yet, was banged up and missed 2 games and people are calling him a JAG?

For those that saw the NFL draft process play out saw his interviews and how smart this guy is. He just needs reps and to get some NFL experience behind him.

In dynasty people are so impatient these days and need instant payoff. Remember the days when you would have to wait a couple years for some rookies to start paying off? It is a really long list....

FWIW I went to youtube to watch all his touches from the this game. He is starting to run more patiently, keeps his pad level low and showed good burst when the hole opened and made some defenders miss. Caught 9/10 targets and looked good in the receiving game. I think things are starting to look up.

TLDR: Discussion forums these days are gross. Gibbs will have a good NFL career. Sorry you drafted a rookie in redraft.

Monty is the lead back, I think we all know that. Monty is a good RB and has been playing well. But for now he is out and Gibbs will be getting more touches.

ROS I believe Gibbs can be a solid starter (flex play) for fantasy - even with Monty back. DET is desperate for offensive playmakers and Gibbs can be one of those guys. The next few weeks will help get him more reps and get up to speed with the NFL game.

Question is this - will he return some of the value where people were drafting him in late summer as his ADP was rising? Maybe not. For those in redraft - this is some of the risk drafting rookies - they may take some time to develop and get worked into their NFL offense.

As for dynasty, for those wanting to acquire him, likely missed the buy window. Long term I believe this guy will work out. He's only 21, hasn't even played half a season yet, was banged up and missed 2 games and people are calling him a JAG?

For those that saw the NFL draft process play out saw his interviews and how smart this guy is. He just needs reps and to get some NFL experience behind him.

In dynasty people are so impatient these days and need instant payoff. Remember the days when you would have to wait a couple years for some rookies to start paying off? It is a really long list....

FWIW I went to youtube to watch all his touches from the this game. He is starting to run more patiently, keeps his pad level low and showed good burst when the hole opened and made some defenders miss. Caught 9/10 targets and looked good in the receiving game. I think things are starting to look up.

TLDR: Discussion forums these days are gross. Gibbs will have a good NFL career. Sorry you drafted a rookie in redraft.

I own both Monty and Gibbs. Totally unbiased view.

Agree with most that Monty slides right back into the driver's seat. That said, I've got to think Campbell sees that he can't give this guy 30 + touches. He's been hurt twice now. Missed games twice. He needs Monty ALL season.

As for Gibbs, I think he'll be more than just a COP back understanding a) the above on Monty, and b) they need/want more of those explosive plays. They drafted him highly for a reason. Think it could be a slow boil for Gibbs as the season goes on.

Think both can be startable in the right matchup.

For those that watched, do we think anything was unlocked in usage yesterday

I didn't expect a beast year, I hoped for a little better Deandre swift in detroit, the line yesterday reads like that but anyone who watched have thoughts

I guess ulitamtely as some in this thread have said, my misplaced calculus was Detroit being in better game scripts this year, where garbage time catchup like yesterday is much more rare
Just my opinion, but I think the take-away is that Gibbs took on 20-touches (first game removed from injury) and survived… apparently. Assume that Monty will miss next week as well (DET has a bye the following week), Gibbs will be given a second chance to carry the load in a winnable game at home.

We could see an even split in work ROS season as Monty would have missed 3 games out of 8 at that point as a “work horse”… especially if Gibbs shines next week.

When Monty is back he will be a CoP and spell
DET is desperate for offensive playmakers and Gibbs can be one of those guys.

I agree with your post besides the above.

Detroit has plenty of playmakers and I think Gibbs might be #4 in the pecking order. One might argue he may be getting or deserving of more touches than LaPorta for #3 on the team, but it’s kinda apples to oranges comparing RBs to WRs?

1- Monty 20-25 touches a game (if not more?)
2- ARSB 8-10 touches a game (on 12targets)
3- LaPorta 5 touches a game (on 7 targets)

What’s left for Gibbs if you factor in JWill and the other WR 3/4/5?

The last two games Goff had 44 and 53 attempts previous four game about 32 attempts per game. I don’t think they want Goff passing this much? What was the common denominator in those past two games? They didn’t have Monty for the entire last game and the majority of the previous one.

If you want to roll the dice on Gibbs when Monty is back you’re going to have to depend on the game turning into a lot of passing and Monty will still see his fair share of passing downs as we have seen previously. Otherwise you need Monty to be injured which at least now Gibbs can be trusted to produce double digits? But again how much of that is due to game script and getting blown out like the ravens did?

Just seems like a dice roll to me this year for redraft, and now is a Sell High opportunity depending on Monty’s health.

Dynasty hold as Gibbs has the talent and ability but the jury is out on him taking a 3 down workload just yet.

I don’t know if Monty can be considered injury prone or not? Anybody have history on this? Seems like both his injuries this year were flukey.

Last edited:
When Monty is back he will be a CoP and spell
DET is desperate for offensive playmakers and Gibbs can be one of those guys.

I agree with your post besides the above.

Detroit has plenty of playmakers and I think Gibbs might be #4 in the pecking order. One might argue he may be getting or deserving of more touches than LaPorta for #3 on the team, but it’s kinda apples to oranges comparing RBs to WRs?

The last two games Goff had 44 and 53 attempts previous four game about 32 attempts per game. I don’t think they want Goff passing this much? What was the common denominator in those past two games? They didn’t have Monty for the entire last game and the majority of the previous one.

If you want to roll the dice on Gibbs when Monty is back you’re going to have to depend on the game turning into a lot of passing and Monty will still see his fair share of passing downs as we have seen previously. Otherwise you need Monty to be injured which at least now Gibbs can be trusted to produce double digits? But again how much of that is due to game script and getting blown out like the ravens did?

Just seems like a dice roll to me this year for redraft, and now is a Sell High opportunity depending on Monty’s health.

Dynasty hold as Gibbs has the talent and ability but the jury is out on him taking a 3 down workload just yet.

I don’t know if Monty can be considered injury prone or not? Anybody have history on this? Seems like both his injuries this year were flukey.
As for the playmakers comment, Monty is currently injured. LaPorta while he will be great he is still a rookie TE and will have his ups and downs. Last 2 weeks he got targets but didn't do much with it. No taking away from LaPorta's dynasty value (if you own him you are loving it) but he might not be that weekly stud. Maybe he does get more consistent but depending on rookie TEs is tough.

So that leaves ARSB. The need someone else after ARSB to step up and Gibbs has started to do that. When Monty is back, I do expect it to be a time share and maybe Gibbs is only flex worthy but if he keeps playing like this maybe they keep peppering him with targets.

Jameson Williams is a whole other mess right now. I do feel for him on the ball that bounced off his face - should have been PI as the defender was holding his arm but it basically sums up JaMo's career up to this point.

As a long time Mont owner he has his ups and downs with injury. A little bit here, a little there but nothing usually that serious. This might end up one of the longest absences for him. I also think Monty is a VERY underrated back. He's not electric or super fast but he grinds and is always finding the hole, and sliding through arm tacklers. He can turn what looks to be a 3 yard gain into a 7-8 yard gain from his determination and effort alone. He does what the coaches want and he can be an asset in the passing game. He's a good RB for Gibbs to learn behind as Monty does everything well.

Do we think we get one more game from Gibbs? I hope there’s clarity before MNF as I don’t have Monty.

I didn’t play him last week unfortunately. This week my decision is likely 2 of Gibbs, Olave, Waddle.

Monty is currently averaging 20 touches per game. Jamaal averaged 16.1 ATT+REC last year. I don't see his workload increasing. My guess would be 17-20.
ARSB you're probably correct here but he's at 11.5 targets /g rn, could see that coming down a shade bc they want to get the two 'bama speedsters more involved.
LaPorta these seem spot on. Targets by week: 5-6-11-5-4-11-7. TE finish by week: 8-8-1-17-5-17-10. As safe a floor as you'll find outside of the top 2-3 guys.

What's left for Gibbs? Plenty, I think. 10-12 carries and the primary receiving back.

Jamo is a hot mess, Josh Reynolds and Kalif Raymond are both solid but none of those 3 are likely to command targets. Not to the extent it's going to keep Gibbs from getting touches.
This feels pretty right. I'd just go back to game script though. If they are winning and trying to burn clock, they'll run fewer plays in general. Also will probably lean more towards Monty hand offs than Gibbs dump offs. Which if unsuccessful will leave them 3rd and long and looking at ARSB/LaPorta for their reliability to just extend drives. If they are behind I could see Gibbs getting a lot more looks though as they go more up tempo and look for explosive plays. Kinda like they did not just this past week, but in the close game with Seattle too.

Gibby had a good fourth quarter with the Ravens up 5 scores. Early in the game when the Lions were going 3 and out not so much. That is where the Lions missed Monty.

In FF garbage points still count. One year I had Dak Prescott and remember Dalllas would be losing by 3 scores and Dak would throw for 150 and 2 TDs in the fourth quarter and Dallas would still lose 28-24, I did not care. I thought Dak had a great game, yet Dallas fans were ripping on him.

Gibby is still a work in progress, hopefully he has a big game on MNF. Want to see more sweeps and screens in space, he sems to get buried between the tackles.

If they are winning and trying to burn clock, they'll run fewer plays in general.

Ben Johnson tends to keep the pressure on and stay aggressive when they're up, and that's no doubt by edict from MCDC. Are they committed to the run? Yes, but when it's not working as well (last two weeks at TB and at BAL) they don't keep trying what ain't working. Anyway, we've seen them play with a lead enough this year and the last 10 last year to know they do not make much effort to bleed clock. In fact they'll keep breaking the huddle and snapping it in their normal rhythm bc when you go outside your normal tempo it becomes harder to execute. Conscious effort to not turtle up in my observations.

Inside 4 minutes, then they'll bleed clock.....not before. They will continue to average 67-68 plays even if they go on a tear RoS.
You seem pretty keyed in on the team. Not trying at all to be offensive with this question. I know the party line stance would be something akin to "we don't look backwards, we look forwards; we are focusing on this team this year; etc.". But don't you think someone in that organization is looking at what Swift is doing for the Eagles and thinking not only maybe we made some bad decisions with him, but let's not make the same with Gibbs? We don't truly know what he can handle until we take the reigns off? Let's design some looks especially for him and play to his strengths. I know Swift has the benefit of seasoning, and also is now behind a much better o-line, and sharing a back field with a QB who's a major running threat. All definitely impact his success. But watching the film, he's also doing a lot with those opportunities on his own. Feels like Detroit didn't do the best they could with him, and you'd think they'd at least at some point try something different with Gibbs? Even if their first priority is understandably winning games, it feels like Gibbs is being used pretty much like Swift 2.0.

If they are winning and trying to burn clock, they'll run fewer plays in general.

Ben Johnson tends to keep the pressure on and stay aggressive when they're up, and that's no doubt by edict from MCDC. Are they committed to the run? Yes, but when it's not working as well (last two weeks at TB and at BAL) they don't keep trying what ain't working. Anyway, we've seen them play with a lead enough this year and the last 10 last year to know they do not make much effort to bleed clock. In fact they'll keep breaking the huddle and snapping it in their normal rhythm bc when you go outside your normal tempo it becomes harder to execute. Conscious effort to not turtle up in my observations.

Inside 4 minutes, then they'll bleed clock.....not before. They will continue to average 67-68 plays even if they go on a tear RoS.
You seem pretty keyed in on the team. Not trying at all to be offensive with this question. I know the party line stance would be something akin to "we don't look backwards, we look forwards; we are focusing on this team this year; etc.". But don't you think someone in that organization is looking at what Swift is doing for the Eagles and thinking not only maybe we made some bad decisions with him, but let's not make the same with Gibbs? We don't truly know what he can handle until we take the reigns off? Let's design some looks especially for him and play to his strengths. I know Swift has the benefit of seasoning, and also is now behind a much better o-line, and sharing a back field with a QB who's a major running threat. All definitely impact his success. But watching the film, he's also doing a lot with those opportunities on his own. Feels like Detroit didn't do the best they could with him, and you'd think they'd at least at some point try something different with Gibbs? Even if their first priority is understandably winning games, it feels like Gibbs is being used pretty much like Swift 2.0.
I personally think they are aware of this and that Gibbs role is going to slowly expand. Unfortunately, maybe not as fast as his owners want.

And this is coming from a Gibbs and Monty owner.

Every team has a staff of scouts who's job it is to evaluate NFL players. So that includes Swift with the Eagles.

As far as I have heard the coaches dissatisfaction with Swift was about his willingness to play through pain. Which means the wanted to be able to use him more than they were able to. So I am not sure what they could learn from a self scouting perspective about their past use of Swift compared to how the Eagles are using Swift now?

By the way the quality control staff does the self scouting as their job and the coaches usually get more involved with that when they have extra time during their bye week and make some bigger adjustments to their game and player management then, when they have this extra time, but the adjustments from self scouting are continuous on a weekly basis as well.

The Lions have a good offensive line. Maybe the Eagles line is better but both groups are up there as far as being some of the better lines in the league.

Jalen Hurts running ability and the RPO plays they run are different than what the Lions can do with Goff.

If anything I think the head coach Campbell might err on over working his RB and risking their health rather than not utilizing them enough or in more creative ways. That's why they want 2 RB to utilize so they can do both things. Grind it out, or go for explosive plays.

Lions have been outscored roughly 70-46 in the times Monty has left the game or Gibbs was the starting RB
But maybe things turn around by the end of the season

Monty had a pretty big fumble in the Seattle game as I recall, 37-31 final score so that might be on him.
In MLB, they have W.A.R. and it has a lot to do with clutch hitting and catching, when the game is on the line, vs blasting a solo HR in the top of the 8th with the team down 8-1...
It's still very early but getting excited over some garbage time meaningless stats,
I personally would like to see him part of the Lions game plan when Monty returns to full strength.
I'd like to see some big chunk plays that help change field position and make it hard to keep him off the field, we just are not there yet
I'm not sure I would even Flex him if Monty is 100% and a GO for any Sunday game.

But maybe things will change soon

Lions have been outscored roughly 70-46 in the times Monty has left the game or Gibbs was the starting RB

Monty had a pretty big fumble in the Seattle game as I recall, 37-31 final score so that might be on him.
In MLB, they have W.A.R. and it has a lot to do with clutch hitting and catching, when the game is on the line, vs blasting a solo HR in the top of the 8th with the team down 8-1...
It's still very early but getting excited over some garbage time meaningless stats,
I personally would like to see him part of the Lions game plan when Monty returns to full strength.
I'd like to see some big chunk plays that help change field position and make it hard to keep him off the field, we just are not there yet
I'm not sure I would even Flex him if Monty is 100% and a GO for any Sunday game.

WAR has nothing to do with that

Gibby had a good fourth quarter with the Ravens up 5 scores. Early in the game when the Lions were going 3 and out not so much. That is where the Lions missed Monty.

In FF garbage points still count. One year I had Dak Prescott and remember Dalllas would be losing by 3 scores and Dak would throw for 150 and 2 TDs in the fourth quarter and Dallas would still lose 28-24, I did not care. I thought Dak had a great game, yet Dallas fans were ripping on him.

Gibby is still a work in progress, hopefully he has a big game on MNF. Want to see more sweeps and screens in space, he sems to get buried between the tackles.
Is he your grandmother? Why do you keep calling him Gibby?

So all those guys in the MLB HoF, none of them has anything to do with Wins in Playoffs, clutch hits when a team was down 3-2 and they hit the go ahead Home Run, I must be so misinformed, appreciate the vine

-I sure thought I used to hear arguments against players with stats, I would hear arguments they didn't help their team win or they were just stats without much credibility
I must have heard wrong

Again, thanks

So all those guys in the MLB HoF, none of them has anything to do with Wins in Playoffs, clutch hits when a team was down 3-2 and they hit the go ahead Home Run, I must be so misinformed, appreciate the vine

-I sure thought I used to hear arguments against players with stats, I would hear arguments they didn't help their team win or they were just stats without much credibility
I must have heard wrong

Again, thanks
Huh? I'm just talking about the WAR stat. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with clutch hitting

I must have heard wrong

Again, thanks
Huh? I'm just talking about the WAR stat. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with clutch hitting
Let's stay on point and it's not all aimed at you Joba,

-MoP thinks context of how and when all these Gibbs points came is important and no matter how much people make fun and try to poke holes in my posts or thoughts rather than just deal with the facts as I point at them, it gets old when folks just want to keep playing semantics and the purpose is to shoot down the information before they even have a chance to understand/digest what is being presented as a counter point to just RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH!!!

I love that Gibbs got everyone's attention this past week, we've been waiting for it.
What I don't like and has my spidey-sense on full alert is the way in which he produced these stats.
If nobody else in the Shark Pool thinks it matters then so be it.
Silence would mean complicit for MoP and that's something we will never do around here, sorry

I love that Gibbs got everyone's attention this past week, we've been waiting for it.
What I don't like and has my spidey-sense on full alert is the way in which he produced these stats.
Silence would mean complicit for MoP and that's something we will never do around here, sorry

I certainly get how he got the points. For last week, I could care less.

Moving forward as an owner of Gibbs and Monty, my eyes are wide open. I certainly don't expect a repeat performance from Gibbs this week. That said, the matchup is there if Monty is out to smash. Campbell will have them super ready after that debacle.

Once Monty gets back, I expect him to return to his role, but I'd expect Gibbs will see the playbook expand for him ever so slightly and each and every week.

If DET has super bowl aspirations, they'll need to maximize both these guys so they have more explosiveness when it counts. Campbell may want to grind everyone, but that's not going to happen each week. Especially in the playoffs.

I certainly get how he got the points. For last week, I could care less.

Moving forward as an owner of Gibbs and Monty, my eyes are wide open. I certainly don't expect a repeat performance from Gibbs this week. That said, the matchup is there if Monty is out to smash. Campbell will have them super ready after that debacle.

Once Monty gets back, I expect him to return to his role, but I'd expect Gibbs will see the playbook expand for him ever so slightly and each and every week.

If DET has super bowl aspirations, they'll need to maximize both these guys so they have more explosiveness when it counts. Campbell may want to grind everyone, but that's not going to happen each week. Especially in the playoffs.
Amen.
I want Gibbs to go out and crush it this weekend
Nothing will make me more happy.
But I'm a realist and I thought the 1st time Monty was injured we would see a bigger split but the opposite occurred.

-Monty got like 25 carries the week he came back, and sure enough Campbell might have run him into the ground. Monty has gone up over 200 carries, think he has 240 as his most so far.
Campbell seems like he would like a 300-carry back and in this offense there would still be room for 150-175 carries for Gibbs plus receptions, La Porta at TE, ARSB the hands that move the chains and a little action from their WR2 and WR3 when need be, this is a well oiled machine when the OL is on all cylinders.

That appears to be the game plan early on, maybe that evens out to more like 240-Monty, 200-Gibbs, the Lions would like to see Goff in the under 30 pass attempts category.

-Another thing I would like to say is thank you for posting back and forth with me, giving me an opportunity to get complete thoughts and ideas out. I think I'm good that most folks don't mischaracterize my questions and skepticism as somehow rooting against Gibbs or the Lions, ask most of the fan base of Detroit, I've been on their bandwagon since Dan Campbell arrived.

Thanks
:thumbup:

Last edited:

Grandmother? :confused: People call their grandmothers Gibby?

I was at 2 Lions open practices this summer. Heard a couple of players call him and say "Gibby" after a run or catch. You can hear everything at practices.

Why do they call Jameson Williams Jamo? Or Montgomery Monty? Gronkowski Gronk? A-Rod? I don`t know the answer...just part of their names I guess.

Last edited:
MOP I think many of us understand that Detroit was down by 28 points before their offense or Gibbs got going in this game. Therefore almost everything the Lions did on offense could be characterized as garbage points.

However your statements in several of your posts go too far and give no credit to Gibbs for what he did accomplish in this game with the argument that garbage points don't matter. That's what people push back against.

I don't think you think that what Gibbs did does not matter, but some of your statements read as exactly that, and you repeated this same point way more times than you needed to.

I get it, you were having a moment or whatever. This isn't unique or new, you have had plenty of moments like this over the years. I have been talking football with you for what? 20 years and some change?

If your posts had a bit more balance and nuance to them I don't think people would even disagree with a more fleshed out statement from you, it's the really one sided statements they can't get behind.

Gibbs does not play defense. It's not his fault that the Lions fell behind in the game, and if you think the Lions can't go 3 and out or turn the ball over with Montgomery in the game too you you would be mistaken. (I don't think you think that, but you did make statements like this).

Obviously Campbell would prefer to not be in this kind of game script. He would like to be in games where they have the lead and are more in control of how the game plays out.

However every game is not going to go like their game vs Green Bay did any more than every game going like this game vs Baltimore did.

Campbell needs both RB to play well for the team to be successful. The more reps Gibbs gets the more he earns their trust. Seems clear to me that was a process and they did not want to risk losing games to mistakes from Gibbs earlier on and they are still not completely past this yet either. But now he has some reps and that trust is building.

When Montgomery comes back of course he will have a substaintial role as the primary RB again, but that does not mean Gibbs won't also be involved, and likely more involved than he was earlier on in the season.

We all know how quickly the narratives can change in (fantasy) football. Last week's bum is this week's stud and vice-versa. "Gibby" was given a great game script last week and took advantage of it. If he puts another big game out there in week 8 the DET backfield is going to look very different coming out of their bye.

Monty has been a great surprise in 2023, except for missing 3 out of 8 games! That "availability" thing is huge. His bell cow days might be over. Maybe Montgomery is the "sell high" guy in this backfield?

Personally I feel like there is some irrational exuberance about Gibbs right now.

I have a non-PPR league where I start 2 RBs, 2 WRs, and a Flex. Gibbs is one of 6 players I'm considering playing but probably will keep him on the bench. However, of the 6 players, FBGs early rankings has him as the second best flex option. Here are the players:
  • AJ Brown (9th)
  • Gibbs (11th)
  • Ekeler (12th)
  • JT (21st)
  • Puka (31st)
  • Ol' Man Evans (37th)

I was thinking I probably will not play him in the flex over Evans, but maybe I should. Torn. And here he is ranked above everyone except AJ Brown. Irrational exuberance or am I missing something? I'm very worried that he's game script dependent and could easily have a very mediocre outing.

What do you mean by irrational exuberance?

I don't think that's been happening in this thread. Posts (mostly by MOP) have been more focused on wet blanket perspectives.

Bobby's post is just facts without any opinion added to them. People can decide for themselves what that means. The data speaks for itself.

As far as FBG rankings there is some data based reasoning behind those I believe that factors player utilization and match up data as the main foundation I think?

As far as your decision here you have many good options to choose from. That always makes it harder to decide who is the BEST option, when they are all good, but any could dud for reasons not foreseen.

The Lions play the Raiders this week. So far the Raiders have given up the 5th most points to RBs so its a good match up.

Will Montgomery play? I don't know his status right now.

Last edited:

I don't think that's been happening in this thread. Posts (mostly by MOP) have been more focused on wet blanket perspectives.

Bobby's post is just facts without any opinion added to them. People can decide for themselves what that means. The data speaks for itself.

As far as FBG rankings there is some data based reasoning behind those I believe that factors player utilization and match up data as the main foundation I think?

As far as your decision here you have many good options to choose from. That always makes it harder to decide who is the BEST option, when they are all good, but any could dud for reasons not foreseen.

The Lions play the Raiders this week. So far the Raiders have given up the 5th most points to RBs so its a good match up.

Will Monygomery play? I don't know his status right now.

I can't blame anyone who drafted Gibbs in round 3 or 4 for being excited now. It's been misery since draft day. Why not hope for the best?

As someone who recently acquired him I'm certainly happy. At minimum, I'm hoping his floor is a decent flex play. At best, his ceiling in certain situations could be very very high (and fortunately for me my investment was low).

I can't blame anyone who drafted Gibbs in round 3 or 4 for being excited now. It's been misery since draft day. Why not hope for the best
A guy that had given you a floor of 9 points in PPR through his first ever NFL games was pure misery, eh?

This thread is something else.

I was at 2 Lions open practices this summer. Heard a couple of players call him and say "Gibby" after a run or catch. You can hear everything at practices.

Why do they call Jameson Williams Jamo? Or Montgomery Monty? Gronkowski Gronk? A-Rod? I don`t know the answer...just part of their names I guess.
People call their grandmothers all kinds of weird stuff, so it wouldn't surprise me. Looking back, that post may have come off differently than intended. I thought it was funny at the time. I apologize if it came out meaner than intended.

That being said, all of those other nicknames actually abbreviate the name, which serves a purpose. "Gibby" doesn't do that, so it's just strange.

I will chime in here. As an owner I think he will be a borderline flex play with Monty in the lineup. The Lions offense has been great with Monty back there and I don't see that changing when he is healthy. he gets 20 carries a game and that doesn't leave much room for our boy. He has to do a lot with little to put up decent fantasy numbers.

People call their grandmothers all kinds of weird stuff, so it wouldn't surprise me. Looking back, that post may have come off differently than intended. I thought it was funny at the time. I apologize if it came out meaner than intended.

That being said, all of those other nicknames actually abbreviate the name, which serves a purpose. "Gibby" doesn't do that, so it's just strange.

All good.

Montgomery is "Monty" Gibbs "Gibby" Might be a Lions thing. :shrug:

Last edited:

All good.

Montgomery is "Monty" Gibbs "Gibby" Might be a Lions thing.

Might be a @Da Guru thing?

Have never heard anyone (coach or teammate or media) call him that

Yes, I heard it at a practice I went to. Actually I went to two practices. Heard a few other things that I can`t repeat here as well.

I will take credit for it here though. (y)

I can't blame anyone who drafted Gibbs in round 3 or 4 for being excited now. It's been misery since draft day. Why not hope for the best
A guy that had given you a floor of 9 points in PPR through his first ever NFL games was pure misery, eh?

This thread is something else.
I'm not saying that's my POV, but it seems to be that of others who drafted him in rounds 3 and 4.

As far as Montgomerys status for week 8 vs the Raiders the Lions have a practice today. If he practices at all that could change the outlook for Gibbs this week.

If he doesn't which is kind of what is expected here, that Montgomery will not play, then you have Gibbs getting the majority of the opportunities this week in a favorable match up coming off a very good performace. So what's not to like about that this week?

As far as Montgomerys status for week 8 vs the Raiders the Lions have a practice today. If he practices at all that could change the outlook for Gibbs this week.

If he doesn't which is kind of what is expected here, that Montgomery will not play, then you have Gibbs getting the majority of the opportunities this week in a favorable match up coming off a very good performace. So what's not to like about that this week?
Montgomery not practicing.

I always thought a fun, cute idea would be to refer to a football player by the actual sequence of letters that constitutes his last name, or first and last name, or in some cases first name -- whichever best fit the context.

I know it's silly, but try it with me. Gibbs. I know, it sounds so foreign.

I always thought a fun, cute idea would be to refer to a football player by the actual sequence of letters that constitutes his last name, or first and last name, or in some cases first name -- whichever best fit the context.

I know it's silly, but try it with me. Gibbs. I know, it sounds so foreign.

My first name is two letters long

I am constantly correcting people how to spell it

#truestorybro
Damn Beaux

I think FBGs currently having Gibbs ranked as the 11th best non-QB for this week is irrational exuberance. Wasn't commenting on this thread, which is all over the map really in thoughts about Gibbs.

Could he have a great week? Yeah. But I can think of probably 40ish players I feel more comfortable thinking they're more likely to have a great week. I could easily be wrong and last week was the start of a new trend with Gibbs and he's a monster moving forward, but I'm slower to adjust my expectations I guess.

I think the probable outcome for him this weekend is somewhere between 50 and 80 combined yards and like a 25% of a touchdown. I'd love to be wrong though.

I think FBGs currently having Gibbs ranked as the 11th best non-QB for this week is irrational exuberance. Wasn't commenting on this thread, which is all over the map really in thoughts about Gibbs.

Could he have a great week? Yeah. But I can think of probably 40ish players I feel more comfortable thinking they're more likely to have a great week. I could easily be wrong and last week was the start of a new trend with Gibbs and he's a monster moving forward, but I'm slower to adjust my expectations I guess.

I think the probable outcome for him this weekend is somewhere between 50 and 80 combined yards and like a 25% of a touchdown. I'd love to be wrong though.
This is true.

Initial projections have him close if not at the top of the RB heap.

I think FBGs currently having
Gibbs
ranked as the 11th best non-QB for this week is irrational exuberance. Wasn't commenting on this thread, which is all over the map really in thoughts about
Gibbs

Could he have a great week? Yeah. But I can think of probably 40ish players I feel more comfortable thinking they're more likely to have a great week. I could easily be wrong and last week was the start of a new trend with
Gibbs
and he's a monster moving forward, but I'm slower to adjust my expectations I guess.

Lions starting RB in PPR points each week:

4.3 (hurt 1st half)

So take out the game where Monty got hurt early and we are looking at 19.9 ppg which would be RB3 behind only Mostert and CMC for PPG. So I get the hesitation but it's also pretty easy to justify having Gibbs ranked really high this week.

With "Monty" still out and at home on MNF, I like the "Gibster" to have a good week. :biggrin:

This could be the bust out week we have been waiting for. Still waiting for a couple screen passes with Sewell out in front!

With "Monty" still out and at home on MNF, I like the "Gibster" to have a good week. :biggrin:

This could be the bust out week we have been waiting for. Still waiting for a couple screen passes with Sewell out in front!
It was mostly garbage time (though to be fair the whole 2nd half was garbage time last week) but Gibbs had his bust out week last Sunday.

There’s no way I’d rank gibbs at 11 this week even if Monty doesn’t play. To say there’s only ten guys you’d feel better about starting in the entire league(-qb’s) is a bold statement indeed.

I hear you and make the decision based on what feels best for you.

Where I think I disagree with your assessment of FBG ranking of Gibbs is that I do think there is a fair amount of rational logic behind it, which I already pointed out as far as the match up being favorable as well as the expected utilization of Gibbs being based on some metrics that Bobby pointed out which are not just from his most recent game.

Will that utilization continue? I don't think we have a large enough sample size to make very good projections for Gibbs yet, but based on the data we do have it's possible.

I think of irrational exuberance as being something based more on emotion or other factors than reason or logic, and I think FBG rankings right or wrong are applying reason and logic in their formulas.

It was mostly garbage time (though to be fair the whole 2nd half was garbage time last week) but Gibbs had his bust out week last Sunday.

Want to see a solid game right from the get go this week. This is the week he might get 20-25 touches.

Did have a good game stat wise and FF points still count no matter when they are scored but it is not the same when your team is down 5 scores.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread