What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jaylen Warren, PIT (1 Viewer)

Has a little “Ekeler” to his game
Just an excellent all around player - awesome receiver, excellent pass blocker, great runner. How he is not used more defies logic.
He looked really good last night but "great runner" is way over the top. Was averaging 3.9 a carry coming into this game.

Like Tony Pollard in the last couple years, much easier to be the secondary guy than the lead guy. There's a reason Tomlin doesn't use him as the lead back

Just an excellent all around player - awesome receiver, excellent pass blocker, great runner. How he is not used more defies logic.
He looked really good last night but "great runner" is way over the top. Was averaging 3.9 a carry coming into this game.

Like Tony Pollard in the last couple years, much easier to be the secondary guy than the lead guy. There's a reason Tomlin doesn't use him as the lead back
What reason would that be? The only one I can think of is Najee Harris, because he's deeply in love with him :)

I think they compliment each other well. Najee obviously is much bigger and more of a traditional between the tackles size guy that also has some chops in the passing game. Last night, however his flaws in the passing game showed up. The overall Steelers offense still benefits from being able to run out of passing situations with Warren and pass out of running situations with Najee. Najee looked good on a few of his runs last night.

Warren definitely makes more guys miss (consistently), is better as a pass catcher (to my eye) and doesn't give up much of an edge to Najee in short area power/ extra yard after he's seemingly wrapped up. But having Najee to pound it into the stuffed boxes (not that they should be doing too much of that) does overall benefit the offense and Warren.

Unless I missed it, I haven't really heard too much out of Waldman other than eluding to how much heavier the boxes are that Najee is running into. I wish he'd go in more detail --what about Warren's movement and decision making are leading to his success because for those of us that watch the games, there's definitely something to it. It's been over a year at this point so it's not as if his success is an aberration.

The issue with PIT's offense isn't a lack of talented RB options. It's the push up front, the penalties, the protection, the playcalling, the lack of execution by Pickett and Pickens. I'm not even sure Pickett is as bad as people think he is. Granted, nobody's fully healthy in week 9 but we all saw what happened to Herbert with those ribs last year. Fully healthy Pickett with Friermuth and a sidelines-Canada. They might be a middle of the pack offense with the ability to hang 30+ with some frequency. Diontae is a really good wide receiver IMO.

I'm not sure that more than a 10-15% shift in Warren vs Najee would move the needle much for this offense. I have Warren in two places this year so I'd be into it but I don't see why the team would do it.

What reason would that be? The only one I can think of is Najee Harris, because he's deeply in love with him :)
That's it. The ultimate sacrifice in the name of love :popcorn:

I don’t think that’s over the top at all, both from watching him run and the fact he averaged 4.9 yards a carry last season and is averaging 4.7 this year. He is a superior running back to Najee Harris in every facet, in my opinion.

I don’t think that’s over the top at all, both from watching him run and the fact he averaged 4.9 yards a carry last season and is averaging 4.7 this year. He is a superior running back to Najee Harris in every facet, in my opinion.
Before last night, he was averaging 3.9. He doesn't have a lot of carries so it can go up or down fairly easily based on one good or bad game. If he was a "great" runner, he would be the starting RB.

We literally heard the exact same thing about Tony Pollard the last two years. "He's so superior to Zeke in every facet". And he was when he played a limited, secondary role. It's tougher sledding being the starting RB and working the middle of the field more which is what Pollard is finding out this year.

That bounce out run Warren ran down to the one yard line was a thing of beauty.

He looked like he was shot out of a cannon.

Apologies to Najee owners but I don't see him replicating that burst or speed to turn the corner the way Warren did.

Before last night, he was averaging 3.9. He doesn't have a lot of carries so it can go up or down fairly easily based on one good or bad game. If he was a "great" runner, he would be the starting RB.

We literally heard the exact same thing about Tony Pollard the last two years. "He's so superior to Zeke in every facet". And he was when he played a limited, secondary role. It's tougher sledding being the starting RB and working the middle of the field more which is what Pollard is finding out this year.
In regards to Pollard, a lot of it has to do with playcalling. Trying to use Pollard in the same manner as Zeke isn’t playing to his strengths.

He looks great but is the opportunity ever coming? Maybe if this offense was high powered he could produce in his role but this is just too small of a pie.

In regards to Pollard, a lot of it has to do with playcalling. Trying to use Pollard in the same manner as Zeke isn’t playing to his strengths.
The Mike McCarthy effect.

He looks great but is the opportunity ever coming? Maybe if this offense was high powered he could produce in his role but this is just too small of a pie.
2025 possibly (RFA).
True and the Pitt offense could change in the meantime but by 2025 he will be 27 and probably entering the decline of his career. I like him a lot as a player, I wish I liked his dynasty outlook more.

2025 possibly (RFA).
True and the Pitt offense could change in the meantime but by 2025 he will be 27 and probably entering the decline of his career. I like him a lot as a player, I wish I liked his dynasty outlook more.
Oh I don't know, Mostert is 31 and is having big games this year, so 27 doesn't look all that bad. Especially with low miles.

2025 possibly (RFA).
Oh I don't know, Mostert is 31 and is having big games this year, so 27 doesn't look all that bad. Especially with low miles.
True mileage is low. Though Mostert seems like the exception more than the rule.

Looks like he's taken over as the Steelers starting RB.
:wub:

He was introduced WITH the starters. Pretty sure Harris was the first RB on the field. Dont think this changes anything. This will be a 50/50 split all year and both guys are producing RB2 #s right now.
I think it means a lot - he's been better than Harris, and his steadily increasing role seems to indicate the Steelers see it, too.

You said 50-50 like that was the expectation, when at the beginning of the year, most saw Warren as the COP/Receiving back, in line for a ~25-30% share. I wouldn't be surprised to see 60-40 Warren from here out. Kid's a baller

Looks like he's taken over as the Steelers starting RB.
:wub:

He was introduced WITH the starters. Pretty sure Harris was the first RB on the field. Dont think this changes anything. This will be a 50/50 split all year and both guys are producing RB2 #s right now.
I think it means a lot - he's been better than Harris, and his steadily increasing role seems to indicate the Steelers see it, too.

You said 50-50 like that was the expectation, when at the beginning of the year, most saw Warren as the COP/Receiving back, in line for a ~25-30% share. I wouldn't be surprised to see 60-40 Warren from here out. Kid's a baller
50/50 has been the split the last two weeks.

Im saying I dont think it changes much from the past two weeks

If it's a 50/50 split, why name him the starter?

Makes zero sense to suggest it'll continue to be a split.

Anybody who's ever watched football knows Warren is the superior RB on the Steelers roster.
Anybody who says differently owns Harris.

Steelers were messing around Sunday. Pickens was not named starter for the first time this season and led the team in targets.

If it's a 50/50 split, why name him the starter?

Makes zero sense to suggest it'll continue to be a split.

Anybody who's ever watched football knows Warren is the superior RB on the Steelers roster.
Anybody who says differently owns Harris.
Again this was mentioned FRIDAY before Sunday's game. He was announced WITH the starters. So was Najee harris. BOTH were announced as starters.

three weeks from now we'll be complaining about that plodder Warren and his 2.7 YPC since they made him starter, and fresh legs Najee is averaging 6 yards a pop with the fun part of the playbook.

I'm kidding (mostly)

Warren has had remarkable consistency to his production all year while in a 50/50 share. Looking forward to seeing if this situation evolves slightly going forward. Wouldn't take much for him to go from reliable Flex to high end RB2 with upside.

The Steelers are notoriously slow to make personnel changes. I think Warren is much better than Harris, but I'd be shocked if the split went over 60/40 on a consistent basis going forward. Also, the Steelers running game is starting to click so I doubt they will be eager to change anything. FWIW, I don't own either of these guys.

Also - this whole conversation reinforces the idea that drafting Harris in the first round was a bad idea.

The Steelers are notoriously slow to make personnel changes. I think Warren is much better than Harris, but I'd be shocked if the split went over 60/40 on a consistent basis going forward. Also, the Steelers running game is starting to click so I doubt they will be eager to change anything. FWIW, I don't own either of these guys.

Also - this whole conversation reinforces the idea that drafting Harris in the first round was a bad idea.
Plus he was older for a rookie.

Users who are viewing this thread