What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jerick McKinnon, KC (1 Viewer)

I was looking at ESPNs PPR rankings for redraft

I am surprised to see them have McKinnon 31st overall and the 15th RB.

I guess I would like to see some numbers to back that up. Its possible of course but I don't think I will be drafting Jet that high.
i own him in my dynasty league but am having a hard time believing the hype.  Love his situation but can't shake that he's never been that good so far in his career.

In his defense the RB's ranked 13-20 are all iffy.  Guess he's as good a bet as any of them.  Before this offseason he was basically an afterthought.  

Trying to think RB's who have been mediocre through their first few years and then became studs.  Tiki Barber/Michael Turner ring a bell.  Any others?

i own him in my dynasty league but am having a hard time believing the hype.  Love his situation but can't shake that he's never been that good so far in his career.

In his defense the RB's ranked 13-20 are all iffy.  Guess he's as good a bet as any of them.  Before this offseason he was basically an afterthought.  

Trying to think RB's who have been mediocre through their first few years and then became studs.  Tiki Barber/Michael Turner ring a bell.  Any others?
Thomas Jones.

All of these players had different circumstances than McKinnon though.

Tiki had trouble with fumbles and a coach who didn't really trust him to be their featured RB until later in his career. He didn't change teams.

Michael Turner was stuck behind LT but always showed good things when he did get a chance with the Chargers and then a feature RB job with the Falcons.

Thomas Jones was injured early on in his career and after a year with the Bucs as a free agent got his shot with the Bears following that.

McKinnon had a chance to shine because Peterson was suspended for 15 games. He got hurt though. McKinnon hasn't been able to sustain his performance over a full season. Even though I disagreed with it and thought McKinnon was better than Murray the Vikings still leaned on Murray and did not let McKinnon be their feature RB.

I'm conflicted. I wish McKinnon all the success with the 49ers but from what I have seen I am not sure he is going to be able to handle a feature RB role and be good consistently. He is a gifted player but there is still something missing and he may be better suited for a complimentary role. Or maybe the Vikings coaches are just dumb and should have given McKinnon more of a shot.

A funny aside is that a few years back I speculated that McKinnon might be more valuable than Carlos Hyde. He wasn't. But now here he is playing for the 49ers. They at least seem to think he is a better option than Hyde.

The ESPN ranking is too high in my opinion. I would not be drafting him in the 3rd round which is where they ranked him. I think they put too much emphasis on contracts in how they value players.

I think there are some issues with Joe Mixons vision and instincts, but McKinnon has some issues there too. I am a bit shocked to see McKinnon ranked ahead of him. Then Jordan Howard who has proven his worth, just seems wrong to have McKinnon ranked ahead of him to me as well, although I do recognize the PPR format hurts Howards value somewhat. 

These are redraft rankings but I would take Guice, Jones Penny Chubb and Michel over McKinnon most likely as well. I see McKinnon as a tier two RB while I see these other players as tier one.

What are your expected numbers for him?

I have him around 700-800 yards rushing on 170-190 carries, 500 receiving on 60 catches, around 8 TDs on an above average offense. TDs are hard to predict for him, but I think I may be on the low side for receptions. That's about 230 points in ppr... right around top 10 last year. Heck, he had 182 points for an RB17 finish last year with uneven use.

The Fantasy Sharks projection on MFL has him at 1131 yfs, 52 receptions, 8 TDs... 213 ppr points.

David Dodds has him at 1153 yfs, 55 rec, 9 TDs... 224 ppr points.

I don't think he is a sure thing, but I think RB15 in PPR is a pretty reasonable expectation.

I have him around 700-800 yards rushing on 170-190 carries, 500 receiving on 60 catches, around 8 TDs on an above average offense. TDs are hard to predict for him, but I think I may be on the low side for receptions. That's about 230 points in ppr... right around top 10 last year. Heck, he had 182 points for an RB17 finish last year with uneven use.

The Fantasy Sharks projection on MFL has him at 1131 yfs, 52 receptions, 8 TDs... 213 ppr points.

I don't think he is a sure thing, but I think RB15 in PPR is a pretty reasonable expectation.
Yeah, I think he will be a consistent rb2 for a couple years. Could pull a Lamar Miller and not be able to hold up to a bell cow role. Offense may not be as good as expected. That’s the low end. I traded the 1.10 for him before the draft, and if you miss out on the rookie rbs and can swing it he’d be the guy I target. 

Whats SF defense looking like? If they are giving up points it could affect his rushing/receiving totals, but probably evens out anyway because he will be out there in passing situations. 1300-1700 total yds 60-75 rec, tds could be anywhere from 3-12. I’ll be surprised if he has less than 1000 total yds or less than 50 rec. 

Agree that solid RB2 should be the expectation right now...overall, I think the reason to be high on him is an easy one...Kyle Shanahan is committing to him...it is as simple as that...Shanahan is a quality offensive Coach and the history of his RBs is a good one...right now McKinnon is being given the opportunity to cash in on being the main back in an ascending Shanahan offense...IMO that should be the main focus of those who are figuring out his value...there are still questions about just how high his upside is because his tenure with Minny had its ups and downs but right now I see a talented, multi-dimensional RB without too much competition playing for a Coach who is giving him the keys to the car for 2018 with the hope he pounces on it...the $ they committed to him (see below) shows that while they want him to succeed and did throw real $ at him like some posters here they do need to see it to actually believe it...I am onboard with him but I think it is imperative that you don't over-estimate his value and make sure you have a Plan B/solid #3 RB should he turn out to be just OK...that being said if this clicks you could very well end up with a top 10 RB as your #2 and that is always a path to fantasy success... 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/jerick-mckinnon-14507/ 

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree that solid RB2 should be the expectation right now...overall, I think the reason to be high on him is an easy one...Kyle Shanahan is committing to him...it is as simple as that...Shanahan is a quality offensive Coach and the history of his RBs is a good one...right now McKinnon is being given the opportunity to cash in on being the main back in an ascending Shanahan offense...IMO that should be the main focus of those who are figuring out his value...there are still questions about just how high his upside is because his tenure with Minny had its ups and downs but right now I see a talented, multi-dimensional RB without too much competition playing for a Coach who is giving him the keys to the car for 2018 with the hope he pounces on it...the $ they committed to him (see below) shows that while they want him to succeed and did throw real $ at him like some posters here they do need to see it to actually believe it...I am onboard with him but I think it is imperative that you don't over-estimate his value and make sure you have a Plan B/solid #3 RB should he turn out to be just OK...that being said if this clicks you could very well end up with a top 10 RB as your #2 and that is always a path to fantasy success... 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/jerick-mckinnon-14507/ 
Not only has Kyle had a good history with rbs, og shanny and kubiak both produced great rbs out of thin air.

Thomas Jones is another. 

My biggest FF concern for McKinnon is the random Shanahan "hot hand" treatment like last year with Carlos Hyde. You draft at guy at ADP RB15 expecting steady production and next thing you know he's on the 49ers bench for no apparent reason.

While it is true McKinnon was hand picked to fit Shanahan's offense, McKinnon's past periods of inconsistency give me pause.

It's true he's got tantalizing upside, but until I see a solid commitment from Shanahan during the preseason I'm going to only draft him if I can get at a reasonable discount.

I'm not sure. I haven't tried to project for him or SF yet.

This seems reasonable, a little conservative even for the rushing attempts. The yards per reception in line with what he produced last season and 2015 although his career ypr is only 6.9 so I might be more conservative with that number. 60 receptions at 6.9 would be 414 yards. He had 51 receptions last season, so I wonder if 60 might be a bit high, but it seems reasonable to expect if he is the primary RB for SF I suppose.

Maybe so. Like I said I feel conflicted. I do think he can be very good, but I have also seen him get shut down at times, including last season. So a 3rd round pick for redraft seems a bit high to me. Would feel more comfortable with drafting him in the 4th round, but if most think he will do this well, then he will be gone before I would be willing to take him.

I will give it some more thought. Thanks for throwing some numbers out there to ponder.

I'm not sure. I haven't tried to project for him or SF yet.

This seems reasonable, a little conservative even for the rushing attempts. The yards per reception in line with what he produced last season and 2015 although his career ypr is only 6.9 so I might be more conservative with that number. 60 receptions at 6.9 would be 414 yards. He had 51 receptions last season, so I wonder if 60 might be a bit high, but it seems reasonable to expect if he is the primary RB for SF I suppose.

Maybe so. Like I said I feel conflicted. I do think he can be very good, but I have also seen him get shut down at times, including last season. So a 3rd round pick for redraft seems a bit high to me. Would feel more comfortable with drafting him in the 4th round, but if most think he will do this well, then he will be gone before I would be willing to take him.

I will give it some more thought. Thanks for throwing some numbers out there to ponder.
I think when deciding whether to go 3 or 4 with him a lot will depend on who you take in the first 2 rounds...his value will differ based on what you did there, what position you took and what is left...if there is an RB run early his value could go up quickly...

What's his value if the 49ers somehow traded for say, Latavius Murray? He couldn't pull away from him in Minny, why would he be able to on SF? My point is he could lose his job if the 9ers ever bring in decent competition. For redraft he's ok, but for dynasty I'll pass.

What's his value if the 49ers somehow traded for say, Latavius Murray? He couldn't pull away from him in Minny, why would he be able to on SF? My point is he could lose his job if the 9ers ever bring in decent competition. For redraft he's ok, but for dynasty I'll pass.
The same.  Murray doesnt pull away from what they already have in SF enough, it would have to be a bigger/better option.

He had several opportunities to seize control of the Minn backfield, competing against Matt Asiata and Latavius Murray.  I think we should keep expectations for a huge breakout in check; don't think he'll suddenly become a 3-down workhorse. I'm targeting Breida late in my drafts - got him at 15.11 in my Friday FPC draft.

He had several opportunities to seize control of the Minn backfield, competing against Matt Asiata and Latavius Murray.  I think we should keep expectations for a huge breakout in check; don't think he'll suddenly become a 3-down workhorse. I'm targeting Breida late in my drafts - got him at 15.11 in my Friday FPC draft.
I don’t think anyone is thinking 3 down workhorse, I think most are hoping for a freeman clone. Decent total yds, 4-5 rec a game, and 8 total tds. Majority of the work in an up and coming offense

I don’t think anyone is thinking 3 down workhorse, I think most are hoping for a freeman clone. Decent total yds, 4-5 rec a game, and 8 total tds. Majority of the work in an up and coming offense
yep.  SF paid him to be the main guy.  Whether he can deliver is a different story but he'll definitely get the opportunity to seize a big role.

While I look at his time in Minnesota and it isn’t like he was some stud we’re all waiting to be unleashed, but has demonstrated a skill set that fits well in the system in SF. They are different schemes, so I don’t think you can really gauge much by past ypc. Especially from a couple years ago when Minnesota’s line was struggling, and in a completely different scheme than he’ll be in.

While I look at his time in Minnesota and it isn’t like he was some stud we’re all waiting to be unleashed, but has demonstrated a skill set that fits well in the system in SF. They are different schemes, so I don’t think you can really gauge much by past ypc. Especially from a couple years ago when Minnesota’s line was struggling, and in a completely different scheme than he’ll be in.
He was RB #10 weeks 5-16 on a team who demonstrated they did not want to press using him much in positive game script. I’m not sure how the people in this thread can expect less than that on a team that will want to use him in positive game script.

Well if people are hoping that McKinnon will be used like Freeman to me that is pretty much a workhorse. Yes Coleman had some carries as a COP but Freeman had 265 rushing attempts in 15 games 2015 and 97 targets which is 17.7 rushing attempts and 6.5 targets on a per game basis. Coleman did miss 4 games that year and the distribution changed in 2016 with him healthy. where Freeman had 227 rushing attempts 65 targets in 16 game or 14 rushing attempts and 4 targets on a per game basis.

In 2017 the 49ers had Hyde with 240 rushing attempts 88 targets or 15 rushing attempts and 5.5 targets on a per game basis. Matt Breida had 105 rushing attempts and 36 targets in COP Coleman role.

If I average the per game numbers over the last 3 seasons the lead RB had 15.6 rushing attempts and 5.3 targets per game. This would be 250 rushing attempts and 85 targets over 16 games. 335 combined opportunities sounds like workhorse level of opportunities to me.

As covered by Lotts FIngertip post.he is expecting less than that. He didn't mention rushing attempts or targets for the other projections, maybe those are closer to this 300+ combined opportunities I'n guessing, but not sure.

Jerrick McKinnon over the last 2 seasons with the Vikings (I'm throwing out 2015 because Peterson had about 327 rushing attempts) has averaged 160 rushing attempts and 62 targets (pro rating for the one game missed) or 10 rushing attempts and 3.9 targets on a per game basis. So almost 6 rushing attempts and a little over 1 target per game less than Freeman and Hyde have had with Shanahan.

Adrian Peterson was injured and only played in 3 games in 2016 yet McKinnon still split with Matt Asiata who was close to a similar amount of opportunities. The Vikings let Asiata go in 2017 and he did not play in 2017. Dalvin Cook got the majority of opportunities for the 3.5 games that he played in, not that much longer than the 3 games that Peterson played in 2016. McKinnon had some good games after Cook went out too but then he still ended up ceding opportunities to Murray. who had 216 rushing attempts to McKinnons 150.

Last season with the 49ers Hyde and Breida combined for 345 rushing attempts and 125 targets. The QB didn't run all that much and no other players were really involved except for their FB who did have 42 targets for them. Maybe this will be less with more experienced TE play and just more weapons to work with in general.

This is where I am at in regards to McKinnon for 2018. Trying to figure out how much of the gap from his past opportunities and the coaching history will be reached.

If we use 2016 Freeman numbers as the compromise I think I can get behind that although I wouldn't be expecting as many TD.

It's possible that this coaching staff in SF either a) has a different view of what they want in a RB, or b) is simply a better offensive coaching staff.

This is where I am.  If SF was smart, they aren't going to run McKinnon into the ground. 

I like him for 160-190 carries, 55-65 rec, 1300 total yards, and 8 TDs seems reasonable.  Solid RB2.

Rookie pick value check. 1.5-1.7?
Bought him for 1.10 just before the nfl draft, but in another League couldn’t get it done for 1.08. I’m not sure I take him over the top rookie rbs though, I’ll take the chance with the extra years from the rookie. 

This is where I am.  If SF was smart, they aren't going to run McKinnon into the ground. 

I like him for 160-190 carries, 55-65 rec, 1300 total yards, and 8 TDs seems reasonable.  Solid RB2.
I agree they need to keep him under 250 ouches. Those numbers would make him a RB1 in PPR. I’d say this is closer to his upside but not out of the realm of possibility.

Bought him for 1.10 just before the nfl draft, but in another League couldn’t get it done for 1.08. I’m not sure I take him over the top rookie rbs though, I’ll take the chance with the extra years from the rookie. 
I just sold him for 1.5. 

Freeman had 20 touches a game over two years under Shanahan.  16 rushes, 4 receptions and 102 yards per.

Freeman had 20 touches a game over two years under Shanahan.  16 rushes, 4 receptions and 102 yards per.
When someone talks about 3 down workhorse I think 300 carries with no one else getting much work at all. Coleman still got probably 10 touches a game or so (without looking, I could be dead wrong). Semantics aside, back end rb1 is where I see his ceiling, but I’d be surprised if he were outside the top 25 (rb2) as his floor. I don’t think he will suddenly get Arian foster type workload. I feel it’s a safe, predictable match between player and scheme.

I've had McKinnon in 2 dynasties, since his rookie year, and just cashed him in for a 1.07 in both leagues.  I do like him, I think he's a smart player, talented, and could have a great year with Jimmy G.  I'm just not sure he can physically handle the workload.  I could easily see them drafting a complimentary RB next year and keep both, with the low $ rookie deal.playing out while McKinnon makes his $.  I think his value could be at it's highest peak right now and if you told me 2-3 years ago that I'd be getting a 1st rounder for him, I wouldn't have believed you.

I do like him in PPR redraft this year, I'd probably be willing to take him in the 3rd.

Using 2016 Devontae Freeman as the model for the opportunity for McKinnon would be

227 rushing attempts and 65 targets over 16 games or 14.2 rushing attempts and 4 targets on a per game basis.

The 49ers ran 1058 total plays last season with 3 different QB starting for 6 or more games. They passed the ball 607 times and ran the ball 408 times.

Carlos Hyde was heavily utilized last season with 240 rushing attempts and 88 targets despite Matt Breida also getting 105 rushing attempts and 36 targets as well.

I see total plays staying about the same, maybe a bit less and for rushing attempts to be slightly less based on McKinnon not being asked to run the ball quite as much as Hyde and also Garroppolo being his first season with the team last year and SF relying on the run game slightly less as they trust him more. So just to be simple about this 1020 total plays, 600 passing attempts and 400 rushing attempts with 26 sacks bringing the total plays up to 1026. The sacks based on Garoppolos 4.3% sack rate in his 6 games last year in the 6 games he played for the 49ers. McKinnons share of the rushing attempts would be 57% of the total.

Garoppolo ran the ball 3 times per game in the 5 games he started, he played in 6 games but only had 2 pass attempts in one of those games. So Garoppolo would run the ball 48 times at this rate over 16 games. Maybe that is a bit high, but that is the rate he was running the ball last year. He did not generate many yards rushing the ball however. This would be 12% of the rushing attempts.

This leaves Matt Breida (or Joe Thomas or both I suppose) with 125 rushing attempts.

The 65 targets that Freeman had in 2016 is very similar to what McKinnon has had the last two seasons with the Vikings. It is 10.8% of the market share of passing attempts.

At 4 ypc which is McKinnons career average this would be 227 rushing attempts for 908 yards. 65 targets at a career catch rate of 74% would be 48 receptions. With a career yards per reception rate of 6.9 this would be 333 yards. The TD are hard to predict but I will guess 6 TD two of those may be as a receiver.

Total 1241 yards 6 TD = 160 points in standard scoring leagues (RB 14 last season() and 208 points in PPR leagues.(RB 12 last season)

I recognize that some of these numbers such as the ypc and yards per reception are a bit below average for a RB, but that is what his career averages are so far over 4 seasons. So there is upside here. Several very good RB last year would have finished higher than this on a PPG basis such as Elliot who only played in 10 games at 20.5 points per game, so if he did that over 16 games he would have finished as the RB 3 instead of 12. Some other examples of this as well which would push McKinnon down to something like RB 15-21 depending on how well and how healthy the other RB do working from the assumption that they will also be able to play 16 games.

McKinnon did score 180 points in PPR leagues last season finishing at RB 17 so 208 points is only a modest increase from last season. RB 17 might be what to consider his floor.

So I guess I agree with ESPNs ranking more than I thought I would. If you value McKinnon similarly I think this is a fairly safe bet with room for him to outperform this fairly conservative projection.

Shanahan recently said he just hasnt been a "practice player" at this point in his career. And he is still a tremendous "game day player".

I expect him to be a rather large surprise at some point this season. http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?season=2017&team=SF&seasonType=PRE

If anyone can get traction from off-season workouts and camp, its Williams.
How’s he going to gain traction in the offseason when he’s only a game day player? Though I didn’t think he played any games last year.

Because Williams needed to be keenly aware of it.

Many people/players are better at gameday then during practice sessions.  Think of the whole Allen Iverson issue.

They will give you everything they have gameday. Like Jack Youngblood with a fractured fibula or Ronnie Lott chopping off his finger. Something "clicks" on gameday, where as practice is just going through the motions and getting reps. Meanwhile Youngblood and Lott would simply choose to go to the hospital on other days.

But Shanahan insists that they practice as hard as they play to some degree.  And sitting him down the entire season certainly could preclude him to start understanding that practices are much more like his 9-5 workday where he must also excel. Also, his gameday play was in the preseason with a team leading 25 carries and 1.5--2.5 yards better per carry then either Hyde or Breida. Shanahan directly mentions him being a better player when it mattered then he was at practice.

:blackdot:

So glad I didn't trade this guy last year with the addition of Cook to the Vikes.  I had offers but decided to keep him around.  I think he could be a low-level RB1.

I'm really leery of McKinnon making a big impact. The 9ers seem to be doing things right, but signing McKinnon to that kind of a contract, especially with an outstanding rookie RB class coming out is VERY questionable, IMO.

That makes more sense, but what's the cap hit?
RB are not making crap in the NFL right now. They are all underpaid. That is the only reason why McKinnons contract seems high relative to what other RB are making because RB salaries have stagnated compared to all other positions in the league.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/running-backs-are-finally-getting-paid-what-theyre-worth/

According to sportrac McKinnon is the 3rd highest paid player on the 49ers roster right now. He costs 5% of their total cap space for 2018.

This is mostly because he has a $5.75 roster bonus for the 2018 season. Here is how his total contract breaks down.

As you can see the 49ers can cut McKinnon in 2019 and only have $1.5 million in dead cap and McKinnon will have a cap hit of $4.5 million if they decide to keep him, $6 million less than what they are paying him for the 2018 season. The contract is front loaded to get him to sign with them. In 2019 McKinnon will cost 2.8% of their total cap space and he will become their 13th highest paid player.

All teams need to spend a percentage of their total salary cap or otherwise be penalized for not doing so. So every team is going to ovespend on some players, especially teams with a ton of cap space, which the 49ers had this offseason.

The free agent market does not usually have that many good players for teams to spend their excess money on, thus the McKinnon contract.

RB are not making crap in the NFL right now. They are all underpaid. That is the only reason why McKinnons contract seems high relative to what other RB are making because RB salaries have stagnated compared to all other positions in the league.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/running-backs-are-finally-getting-paid-what-theyre-worth/

According to sportrac McKinnon is the 3rd highest paid player on the 49ers roster right now. He costs 5% of their total cap space for 2018.

This is mostly because he has a $5.75 roster bonus for the 2018 season. Here is how his total contract breaks down.

As you can see the 49ers can cut McKinnon in 2019 and only have $1.5 million in dead cap and McKinnon will have a cap hit of $4.5 million if they decide to keep him, $6 million less than what they are paying him for the 2018 season. The contract is front loaded to get him to sign with them. In 2019 McKinnon will cost 2.8 of their total cap space and he will become their 13th highest paid player.

All teams need to spend a percentage of their total salary cap or otherwise be penalized for not doing so. So every team is going to ovespend on some players, especially teams with a ton of cap space, which the 49ers had this offseason.

The free agent market does not usually have that many good players for teams to spend their excess money on, thus the McKinnon contract.
It's still surprising to me. When you combine McKinnon's contract with his talent, it doesn't add up, IMO (even though you laid out why it might not be a bad as it looks).

It's still surprising to me. When you combine McKinnon's contract with his talent, it doesn't add up, IMO (even though you laid out why it might not be a bad as it looks).
I agree he shouldn't be in the top 10 highest RB salaries right now. I do not think he has earned that, but it is what it is.

Once Gurley Johnson and Elliot start getting paid big bucks things may revert to something that makes a bit more sense.

I also think it represented a *perfect short-term fix for the 49ers (at the least) and allowed them to draft and focus elsewhere. So paying the extra lets-not-screw-around-with-half-efforts money was kind of the easy bullet to bite. Now they have a couple years with a proven guy (at age 25) to go along with youngsters in Breida and WIlliams.

*Which includes having experience back there with Jimmy G.

I also think it represented a *perfect short-term fix for the 49ers (at the least) and allowed them to draft and elsewhere. So paying the extra lets-not-screw-around-with-half-efforts money was kind of the easy bullet to bite. Now they have a couple years with a proven guy (at age 25) to go along with youngsters in Breida and WIlliams.

*Which includes having experience back there with Jimmy G.
McKinnon has become very good at pass protection. In my view he was even better than Murray is pass pro in 2017 and Murray was one of the best RB at that in 2016. Not saying Murray is bad at that either, just that I think McKinnon was a bit better.

He has become very good at that. He is also a solid receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread