What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jonathan Taylor, IND (2 Viewers)

$4.3M he's owed in 2023, Miami can save over $2M by cutting Ahmed and Gaskin, they would only take on maybe $2M in salary, still about $10M under the cap right now.
Wilkins counts $11M ATC at the moment and if they would extend him, sure they can fit all those numbers into this year.

If the Colts keep him all year and then let him walk at the end and he signs as a FA the Colts get a 3rd round pick as compensation so its going to cost a lot more than that.

I'm such a big JT fan but if the Colts don't trade him what incentive is there for him to play down the stretch this year? After he gets his games in to accrue a year why would't he just sit?

Dynasty he could be a decent buy but not someone to trust if he stays on the Colts for this year. Do you trade for JT knowing he might not help you this year but could get lucky if he does get traded.

Side note: I sure hope the FIns don't trade a 1st for him. Fins just burn picks in stupid ways (trades or violations). So frustrating.

Chris Grier, you've got a phone call on Line 2
Barry Jackson said a source says they will at least explore it

Per a league source, the Dolphins are expected to at least explore a trade for Colts running back Jonathan Taylor, who has been given permission to seek a trade. Not sure where this will lead, but it would make sense in that he's only 24, 1st team All Pro & NFL rush leader in '21

If the Colts keep him all year and then let him walk at the end and he signs as a FA the Colts get a 3rd round pick as compensation so its going to cost a lot more than that.

I'm such a big JT fan but if the Colts don't trade him what incentive is there for him to play down the stretch this year? After he gets his games in to accrue a year why would't he just sit?

Dynasty he could be a decent buy but not someone to trust if he stays on the Colts for this year. Do you trade for JT knowing he might not help you this year but could get lucky if he does get traded.

Side note: I sure hope the FIns don't trade a 1st for him. Fins just burn picks in stupid ways (trades or violations). So frustrating.
How about Stephen Ross burning our 1st Rd pick for interfering?
You should check in on the Miami team thread.

Miami does terrible in the Draft, I'd rather they trade picks for proven talent at this point.
Holes at LG and RT, that is going to be a problem throughout the year.
Maybe Taylor would make a suspect OL look better?

Dolphins seem like the most obvious landing spot.
4 yrs/$50M, at least $10M-$15M in a signing bonus as part of this
Still counts just $4.3M this season

Kamara got 5yrs/$75M back in 2020, that seems like a long time ago,
Not sure my number will get it done but Taylor would be happy to see that in this market right now.

I'm sure others will have different numbers.
His Market Value is coming in around $13M per season

Cowboys make a ton of sense to me, but they'd have to create some cap room last time I looked. And they're dumb enough to trade significant draft capital.

Last edited:
That strange squishy sound you hear is millions of 1st round Nick Chubb shareholders simultaneously pooping themselves over this speculation.

ESPN’s Field Yates reports the Browns restructured the contract of DE Myles Garrett, clearing $12.868 million in cap space.
Cleveland now carry a whopping $34 million in cap space and are under the mandatory spend minimums for the 2023 league year. This prompts the question of why would they need to create additional room agains the cap, a curious preceding considering Colts RB Jonathan Taylor was granted permission to seek a trade on the same day. It is too early to assume the two are anything more than coincidence, but what a coincidence they would be. Stay tuned.

How about Stephen Ross burning our 1st Rd pick for interfering?
You should check in on the Miami team thread.

Miami does terrible in the Draft, I'd rather they trade picks for proven talent at this point.
Holes at LG and RT, that is going to be a problem throughout the year.
Maybe Taylor would make a suspect OL look better?
I'd rather the fins keep that pick and try to improve the OL somehow. Wilson, Mostert, Achane, Salvan, Gaskin etc are all good backs. While I love Taylor I don't think spending draft pick(s) on him is smart.

How Ross and MIA handles their business and operations is a long thread I don't want to get into right now. I hate Ross and how the Fins have drafted over the past 10-15 years.

As a Vikings fan who’s not a huge Mattison fan… am I crazy to think that Taylor could be a great fit for an already seemingly high powered offense?

We have nearly $10M in cap space after getting rid of Cook.

I think the Vikings are in just as much of a win now mode as anyone with the pieces they have, and if last year showed us anything will have to score often to win.

Any team that trades for him has to spend a 2nd round pick + (minimum) AND agree to pay what JT wants in a restructure/new contract.

It is a lot to pay ($ and picks) for JT when a team can wait until the offseason and try to sign him as a FA.

CMC got moved last year and that surprised me but the fit in SF made complete sense. SF never had to give up a 1st. Obviously the Colts will ask for a first but I think a team is nuts to give up a first for an RB. NUTS.

That strange squishy sound you hear is millions of 1st round Nick Chubb shareholders simultaneously pooping themselves over this speculation.

ESPN’s Field Yates reports the Browns restructured the contract of DE Myles Garrett, clearing $12.868 million in cap space.
Cleveland now carry a whopping $34 million in cap space and are under the mandatory spend minimums for the 2023 league year. This prompts the question of why would they need to create additional room agains the cap, a curious preceding considering Colts RB Jonathan Taylor was granted permission to seek a trade on the same day. It is too early to assume the two are anything more than coincidence, but what a coincidence they would be. Stay tuned.
Likewise for Taylor shareholders.

Seems highly unlikely since they're still paying off the Watson deal, unless a '25 1st would get it done.

Any team that trades for him has to spend a 2nd round pick + (minimum) AND agree to pay what JT wants in a restructure/new contract.

It is a lot to pay ($ and picks) for JT when a team can wait until the offseason and try to sign him as a FA.

CMC got moved last year and that surprised me but the fit in SF made complete sense. SF never had to give up a 1st. Obviously the Colts will ask for a first but I think a team is nuts to give up a first for an RB. NUTS.
Yup. I put it at less than 10% chance Taylor goes anywhere for the exact reasons you laid out.
I'll also add that the ankle problems to the other things you listed.

That's great but teams who have a chance to win a SuperBowl in 2023 can't afford to wait until 2024 to grab him as a FA. Windows of opportunity matter. And we all know the Colts are going to franchise tag him next year to screw him over anyways, which means teams will still have to trade something to get him and pay his salary.

Yup. I put it at less than 10% chance Taylor goes anywhere for the exact reasons you laid out.
Yeah...I disagree. I even made mention of this in another thread, but it's in both parties interest to move on immediately.

For the Colts, with the decision to start Richardson from the get-go, it makes no sense to establish any part of the offense with JT in it. His presence on the roster is a distraction for a new coaching staff that has a decent sized rebuild ahead of it, not to mention the handling of their most prized draft pick since Andrew Luck.

...for Taylor it's obvious.

I actually think this gets done pretty quickly. I could see a 2024 2nd and a 2025 3rd. Remember this as well...JT's situation is different than any of the big RB names that have struggled to contracts. Barkley/Jacobs had 8-figure paydays awaiting them via the FT. Taylor is 'only' making $4.3M

I think he plays ball on a long term deal that has a team friendly slant to it.

Yeah...I disagree. I even made mention of this in another thread, but it's in both parties interest to move on immediately.

For the Colts, with the decision to start Richardson from the get-go, it makes no sense to establish any part of the offense with JT in it. His presence on the roster is a distraction for a new coaching staff that has a decent sized rebuild ahead of it, not to mention the handling of their most prized draft pick since Andrew Luck.

I actually think this gets done pretty quickly. I could see a 2024 2nd and a 2025 3rd. Remember this as well...JT's situation is different than any of the big RB names that have struggled to contracts. Barkley/Jacobs had 8-figure paydays awaiting them via the FT. Taylor is 'only' making $4.3M

Irsay is an old-school owner who has already drawn a line in the sand earlier this offseason. The Colts will already get a third round comp pick if Taylor walks after this season, so the Colts would basically only be getting a 2nd round pick in the scenario you laid out. I think Irsay would see that as 'losing the battle' so he wouldn't accept it. I think they accept no less than a 1st.

Irsay is an old-school owner who has already drawn a line in the sand earlier this offseason. The Colts will already get a third round comp pick if Taylor walks after this season, so the Colts would basically only be getting a 2nd round pick in the scenario you laid out. I think Irsay would see that as 'losing the battle' so he wouldn't accept it. I think they accept no less than a 1st.
I would just point a third round compensatory pick, which would be late, that is not awarded until the 2025 draft would be likely be valued less then a random 24 4th.

Seems highly unlikely since they're still paying off the Watson deal, unless a '25 1st would get it done.
They made it work with Hunt/Chubb

I could see a scenario where they’re both productive

As a Vikings fan who’s not a huge Mattison fan… am I crazy to think that Taylor could be a great fit for an already seemingly high powered offense?

I think the Vikings are in just as much of a win now mode as anyone with the pieces they have, and if last year showed us anything will have to score often to win.
IMO the teams that benefit the most from JT are the Vikes and the Dolphins.

They made it work with Hunt/Chubb

I could see a scenario where they’re both productive
For fantasy purposes it only "worked" for 1 season, and that was with Baker at QB. I don't think they're paying Watson $230 mil guaranteed to feed 2 RBs. It would be a huge blow to his value if he ended up in Cleveland IMO.

It would be a huge blow to his value if he ended up in Cleveland IMO.
Watson hasn’t looked right since he came back.
It was just 6 games and most were in horrible weather.

The Browns trading for JT does not make andy sense to me and fact he's not a good compliment with Chubb is just one of many reasons. They are to similar. If the Browns were truly clearing the decks for a massive trade someone like Donald would make a lot more sense.

The Browns trading for JT does not make andy sense to me and fact he's not a good compliment with Chubb is just one of many reasons. They are to similar. If the Browns were truly clearing the decks for a massive trade someone like Donald would make a lot more sense.
I don’t disagree, but this is the Browns.
:shrug:

The audacity of this stance drives me nuts. You’re good enough that we expect 1st round compensation to trade you, but not good enough to pay.

I hope he gets a new home and my Achane shares don’t mind at all if it’s Miami.

Such an interesting point I never thought of. So we don't want to pay you buuuuuuut we really need a ton of stuff to move u.

Looks like the dolphins are interested

I agree with these two but why no mention of the Chiefs yet? I know cap room but the great GM's always seem to find a way to make it work. A late first is worth a talent like JT, running back or not. Gibbs at 12, yeah I will take JT for a late first.

I agree with these two but why no mention of the Chiefs yet? I know cap room but the great GM's always seem to find a way to make it work. A late first is worth a talent like JT, running back or not. Gibbs at 12, yeah I will take JT for a late first.
Difference is the Lions have Gibbs for 5 years under a pretty reasonable controlled deal for his age 21-25 seasons. Taylor is 24 and on the last year of his deal.

Who else is known to be available that would fill a bigger need?
Yeah, I mean Ford is a JAG in my opinion. I know he’s everyone’s favorite sleeper but I’m not seeing it.

Kareek Hunt is gone - they actually do need a RB. I like Felton as much as the next guy, but if Chubb goes down, the Browns RB room is ugly.

Didn’t realize he was 24. Figured he was 28 or something. Seems like a no brainer for a Super Bowl contender to make a move for him.

I just think the Chiefs have proven to the league and themselves that having a workhorse/star running back is not necessary for them to win games, playoff games, and Super Bowls.

There's obviously going to be a "market" for him, the question is whether it meets Irsay's demands (especially after factoring in his contract extension that he's going to want).

I mentioned this earlier, but there's at least a chance that he'll take a modest extension if he wants out of there badly enough. That's probably what it's going to come down to, IMO it's going to be tough to find a team willing to fork over a 1st rounder AND a big extension. Maybe if he wasn't coming off the ankle issue.

Users who are viewing this thread