What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Najee Harris, PIT (1 Viewer)

Steelers OC Matt Canada said of the Steelers' offensive approach for 2023, "We want to run the ball, we want to be physical, and we want to be a good team that can throw the ball down field."​

In an article published at The Athletic, Canada waxed poetic about the Steelers' desire to run the ball this season. He noted that the Steelers aren't going to "run it every play," but it doesn't sound like there are any plans to let Kenny Pickett loose in his second season at the helm. Canada specifically mentioned the Steelers' identity as being what we saw in the team's final nine games of last season when they had a pass rate over expected of negative seven percent. The Steelers haven't been shy about handing the ball off to Najee Harris since drafting him 24th overall in 2021, but the former Alabama prospect has averaged just 3.9 YPC for his career and ranks among the league's worst in explosive runs. The Steelers' desire to establish it should bode well for Harris and backup Jaylen Warren from a fantasy perspective and could turn Warren into a sneaky late-round pick in drafts.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Jun 15, 2023, 9:04 AM ET

Somebody can't math right

"With 2,234 yards, Harris has the most rushing yards in a player's first two seasons in Pittsburgh history, just ahead of Le'Veon Bell (2,238 yards) and the late Hall of Famer Franco Harris (1,753)."

Harris is an intriguing one for me to go after depending on the owners feelings on him after last year. He didn't produce like he did the 1st year and I think that was due to QB play. I think he rebounds well and I am looking to add him if possible. I am sure owners of him are sitting on him feeling the same.

Somebody can't math right

"With 2,234 yards, Harris has the most rushing yards in a player's first two seasons in Pittsburgh history, just ahead of Le'Veon Bell (2,238 yards) and the late Hall of Famer Franco Harris (1,753)."
Good catch but it was a misprint, Bell's total was a tad less then 2,221.

Good catch but it was a misprint, Bell's total was a tad less then 2,221.

Thanks. Honestly, I figured as much, but I'm a little bored and wound up this morning on caffeine. Probably not even worth a comment. I do it sometimes so Faust knows I read his links. I really benefit from what Faust does, so it's an acknowledgement of sorts. They're not just out there cluttering up the ether.

He's an invaluable part of the SP for me.

Last edited:
Harris is an intriguing one for me to go after depending on the owners feelings on him after last year. He didn't produce like he did the 1st year and I think that was due to QB play. I think he rebounds well and I am looking to add him if possible. I am sure owners of him are sitting on him feeling the same.
I've never been a huge Najee fan, I thought he was more a 3rd round prospect than a 1st rounder coming out, but he's been a solid fantasy RB so far when healthy. I think he's a lot like another former 1st round RB, in Melvin Gordon, where I don't think he's an elite talent, but his team is highly committed to him, and he's not a bad player, just not a special one either. Like Gordon, I do wonder if the guy behind him isn't even better, but I don't think the Steelers have any intention of finding that out unless an injury elevates him.

I like Najee as a low-end RB1, he's kind of discount Barkley in a way, where its a meh offense, but he's gonna see his touches and they will happen in all situations. Whereas I'd call Barkley a mid-2nd rounder, I'd call Najee an early 4th rounder. A good RB to snag if you go decide to load up on WR/TE/QB early.

Between the OL additions, and Pickett hopefully taking a step forward in year 2, I think the Steelers offense may be slightly undervalued in general.

I think his season last year was down a little due to the foot injury and lack of dump offs. The lack of dump offs probably won't pick back up like his rookie season, maybe ever, but I expect a spike in rushing and TD's.

He's got one trait he's had going for him I don't think fantasy players properly appreciate and that is at such a highly volatile position for injuries he always answers the bell. I don't believe he's ever missed game with an injury which is highly impressive considering his workload and I'm not just talking the NFL, this goes back to college. He's had some nicks and but he plays. I do like to say you can't predict injuries but there is not RB in the league I have a higher confidence of suiting up every week then him and frankly it's not close versus whoever is number 2.

I've never been a huge Najee fan, I thought he was more a 3rd round prospect than a 1st rounder coming out, but he's been a solid fantasy RB so far when healthy. I think he's a lot like another former 1st round RB, in Melvin Gordon, where I don't think he's an elite talent, but his team is highly committed to him, and he's not a bad player, just not a special one either. Like Gordon, I do wonder if the guy behind him isn't even better, but I don't think the Steelers have any intention of finding that out unless an injury elevates him.

I like Najee as a low-end RB1, he's kind of discount Barkley in a way, where its a meh offense, but he's gonna see his touches and they will happen in all situations. Whereas I'd call Barkley a mid-2nd rounder, I'd call Najee an early 4th rounder. A good RB to snag if you go decide to load up on WR/TE/QB early.

Between the OL additions, and Pickett hopefully taking a step forward in year 2, I think the Steelers offense may be slightly undervalued in general.
That's a good comparison. Najee won't wow you and a lot of his production is volume based. He has a nice floor/ceiling combo and is being slept on. I expect a mini bounceback this year.

This is one of my guys this year as long as ADP stays where it is. The offense as a whole picked up the second half of the year and I expect that to be consistent to start this year, if not even better. Not expecting some huge offensive explosion, but for Najee to outperform ADP that also doesn't have to happen.

The Athletic’s Mike DeFabo believes there is no doubt the Steelers “will lean heavily on the ground game.”
Kenny Pickett mentioned the need for balance on offense during camp and head coach Mike Tomlin talked about his desire to control the flow of the game via his rushing attack. Both men also noted a need for explosive plays, but it’s hard not to take their comments as a clear indication that the team has no desire to air the ball out and will instead rely on their tandem of Najee Harris and Jaylen Warren. Harris has yet to top four yards per carry in an NFL season and Warren will top out as a high-usage backup at best, so things aren’t looking great for the Steelers’ odds of putting up points in droves.

Najee has been mostly boring, inefficient even, over his first two years. And I know there is a groundswell of support, in the magic football community, for Jaylen Warren.

But for fantasy purposes there are very few RBs more locked into 300+ touches & 10 TDs than Najee.

He's one of those guys I think could fall below ADP in drafts over the next two weekends. If he does you should absolutely pounce on him.

Last edited:
But for fantasy purposes there are very few RBs more locked into 300+ touches & 10 TDs than Najee.
Given that he's a RB, I wouldn't be locking him into anything so bold, but I would love to know your reasoning behind this. From where I sit, Harris is a plodder and was already looking like a timeshare with Warren during parts of last season.

Given that he's a RB, I wouldn't be locking him into anything so bold, but I would love to know your reasoning behind this. From where I sit, Harris is a plodder and was already looking like a timeshare with Warren during parts of last season.
The only real answer is: Mike Tomlin.

After 16 seasons we need to see Tomlin not do something before we confidently assume he will do that thing. Until then, stick with Najee or you're overthinking. Warren is a very solid looking backup, though.

I don't think Najee will be a 350-380 touch guy but he's locked into 300 as much as any RB can be.

After 16 seasons we need to see Tomlin not do something before we confidently assume he will do that thing. Until then, stick with Najee or you're overthinking. Warren is a very solid looking backup, though.

I don't think Najee will be a 350-380 touch guy but he's locked into 300 as much as any RB can be.
2019 - RB1: 150 touches
2020 - RB1: 200 touches
2021 - RB1: 381 touches
2022 - RB1: 313 touches

So we've seen a 60/40 split from a Tomlin-coached team twice in the past 4 years...
And dude barely crossed 300 last year in 17 games. I would bet heavily on under 300 in 2023.

So we've seen a 60/40 split from a Tomlin-coached team twice in the past 4 years...
And dude barely crossed 300 last year in 17 games. I would bet heavily on under 300 in 2023.
Do better than that

If a healthy Najee has less than 300 touches this year, it won't be that much less IMHO. Guy is a workhorse.
That and it's simply the Steelers identity. Right, wrong or otherwise strong defense and a commitment to clock management has been their philosophy for...decades?

Those stats are misleading. Najee has only been there for two years and he topped 300 in each of them. Prior to that, James Conner couldn't stay healthy, otherwise he would have come very close to 300 touches (and he's not nearly as talented as Najee).

Of course, betting on the under is usually a good bet with RB's because all RB's are at risk of injury but Chaka took that into account with the way he phrased it ("as much as any RB can be")

Do better than that
Sorry @tangfoot but you need to do better than a 2019 where Connor had 7 healthy starts (carrying an 81% share of RB touches) or 2020 where he had 11 (mostly) healthy starts.

All RBs are injury risks, Najee hasn't missed a start yet but he hasn't been 100% for all of them either. But using a RB who was available for 18 out of a possible 32 starts as some kind of proof of change, is obviously flawed.

I'm sincerely surprised you went with that as a counter point.

Assuming he is fully healed and the offense stays on the field more due to Pickett improvement in his second season
I think this is another important consideration. Najee has played with rookie Kenny Pickett and 157 year old Ben Roethlisberger.

Perhaps it's fair to consider that even a reasonably competent passing game may help improve his efficiency, just a bit.

Those stats are misleading. Najee has only been there for two years and he topped 300 in each of them. Prior to that, James Conner couldn't stay healthy, otherwise he would have come very close to 300 touches (and he's not nearly as talented as Najee).

Of course, betting on the under is usually a good bet with RB's because all RB's are at risk of injury but Chaka took that into account with the way he phrased it ("as much as any RB can be")
:goodposting: and I say that as a Warren shareholder with no ties to Najee - right now, I have my only redraft on Saturday.

Najee has been nothing short of a workhorse since Pitts drafted him. That’s indisputable. Whether that’s the best strategy is not of course.

Steelers.com’s Dale Lolly said the “narrative” that Jaylen Warren will become the team’s No. 1 running back is “simply not true.”

“Both will have their roles. Harris is the No. 1. Warren is the third-down back,” said Lolly, who writes for the Steelers’ team site. “Both will be valuable. But Warren isn’t pushing past Harris.” ESPN’s Dan Graziano said this week that Warren could become Pittsburgh’s lead back by the end of the season. While Warren is more explosive and efficient than Harris, the team values Harris as an early-down banger and, importantly, as the team’s primary goal line back. Falling down draft boards, Harris is a reasonable pick as an RB2 in 12-team leagues. Warren will be a worthwhile bench stash.

I feel like a lot of people forget that Harris dealt with a lis franc injury during the preseason last year. That can easily have a negative impact all year.

He’s never been an elite speed/burst guy, but I think there’s a decent chance he looked worse than he really is last year and everyone has baked that into their memory as his ceiling.

Gotta keep in mind just how bad the O-line and QB play has been for them. Makes it tough on those early down backs when the O-line sucks and there is zero passing threat.

Harris dealt with a lis franc injury during the preseason last year. That can easily have a negative impact all year.

Lisfranc is a bad one. It can sap a player permanently, depending on severity, which they never reveal to us. For a player that was already kinda slow even before the injury, it can be career threatening. See Duce Staley. Of course, there are examples of players coming back 100% too. Will be interesting to see if Najee looks like he has more burst again this season. Any homers able to chime in about what the beats were saying about this during camp?

The Najee hate reminds me of the Jacobs hate heading into last season. This seems like it's gonna be a much better team. I'm not targeting Najee but if he falls to me I will take him. I took him this morning in the late 4th as my number two. I am a big proponent of buying the dip.

The Najee hate reminds me of the Jacobs hate heading into last season. This seems like it's gonna be a much better team. I'm not targeting Najee but if he falls to me I will take him. I took him this morning in the late 4th as my number two. I am a big proponent of buying the dip.

I agree he's a buy the dip guy. Would love to see him slide to the 4th after I've loaded up on WR and/or taken a top QB

Got him in early 5. If he pays off there, I'm cruising. If not... it's gonna be a tricky season to recover

It’s not “hate.” It’s people waking up to the realization that Najee isn’t the 3-down RB they thought he was. He’s a two-down RB and goalline guy — which means he still has a ton of value (as you noted already). But it isn’t “hate”.

I dont think there is any way to deny that the Steelers have used one RB as their feature RB that does everything for decades now as long as that player remains healthy.

That said Harris is not LeVeon Bell and although Harris had a lot of reception his rookie season there is the possibility that he wont be targeted as much if the Steelers prefer Warren in that role, which would affect Harris overall opportunity.

The writer quoted by Faust while dismissing the notion of Warren taking over as the lead RB over Harris also does say that Warren has a role in the offense too, and this would be different than the years of Bell and before that. Also different than Harris rookie season.

I’ll just go on record now saying he’s gonna be a steal for most if he’s going in the 4th RD.

Move his point of first contact up 1 yard and open up even a few holes and his numbers should jump.

Year 1 inflated by never ending Ben insta checkdowns and Year 2 killed by the obvious defensive game plan called make them throw down the field

He should be a lock for 1000 yds/6-7 TD rushing and at least a couple hundred yards receiving. I also see a good chance for a couple of huge games where he makes big bank salting it away.

we’ll see. I’m just hoping I don’t regret jacobs at 3:2 over Najee

Najee Harris rushed six times for 31 yards in the Steelers’ Week 1 loss to the 49ers, adding two receptions for two additional yards.

It was something of a worst-case scenario day for Harris, who tied Jaylen Warren in touches. Harris did have a decisive snap advantage, but the Steelers could never get into “establish” mode after going down two scores just 10 minutes into the game. Harris did have a 24-yard rush that qualified as the Steelers’ third longest gain of the game. He punctuated it with a stylish, if unnecessary, hurdle. Warren didn’t exactly seize the day, totaling 18 yards on his eight touches. There will be much brighter days ahead for Harris — not to mention actual goal-line carries — but Warren remains a serious problem even if Harris is getting 65-70 percent of the snaps. Harris is an unappealing RB2 for Week 2 against the Browns.

- Rotoworld

I picked him up in a few leagues and am regretting that decision. He looks horrible, and the offense doesn't look great.

I'm contemplating selling low and moving on before he's worth nothing. What are other dynasty owners doing?

Even on the 17 yard run he looked slow. Somin’ ain’t right. Ot it’s always been that way. Another example of too much hype when he was drafted and he was old for a rookie.

I watch Harris and I think tick, tick, tick….time is coming for him to be replaced. Each week his usage is going down and he’s doing nothing to show that he should get more.

Probably going to have to hold my nose and start him this week as my #5 flex against what should be an easy-to-beat Vegas squad. Just not seeing better options and hoping he gets a goalline plunge to stay relevant. If he doesn't deliver... not sure how to recoup the cost...

How are we feeling after today?

He looked pretty good - I think the Jaylen Warren hype might be overblown. But how do we feel about the running game without a Kenny Pickett?

Najee is never going to be exciting - but he should get volume, especially if Pickett misses time - stillers should revert to a heavy run game.

He looked pretty good - I think the Jaylen Warren hype might be overblown. But how do we feel about the running game without a Kenny Pickett?

Najee is never going to be exciting - but he should get volume, especially if Pickett misses time - stillers should revert to a heavy run game.
Does Pickett even matter? He was playing terrible and wasn’t moving the offense e

You have to worry about game script…will be tougher without any kind of threat. Is 25-85 better? They won’t be able to sustain drives … don’t see much of a positive

If you have to start any Steeler you are in big trouble. He won't get volume, every drive is 3 and out.

Owners need TDs and receptions. Putting him in your lineup is scary when he's not getting 3-5 targets, and PITTs offense sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread